PDA

View Full Version : Electronics New Kindles announced.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Amazon is kicking serious ass with this new product line at these prices. I'm really impressed.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazons-new-kindle-line-up-now-available-for-pre-order/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/09/kindle-fire-lineup.jpg

The also have some pretty neat new features like FreeTime to let you set limits on children's usage of the tablet.

vailpass
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Cool. Wish they had the quad core like the Google pad.
Their new Paperwhite readers look good too. Wonder how the new Fire is for book reading?

DaFace
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Whoa - I'd missed the truly big news earlier. They've got $50/YEAR 4G wireless plans for the top model. That's impressive.

WoodDraw
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
The software would be a major concern for me. If you're invested in the Amazon ecosystem, I could see it. We'll know more when some review units get sent out.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Cool. Wish they had the quad core like the Google pad.
Their new Paperwhite readers look good too. Wonder how the new Fire is for book reading?

The 4470 in the Fire is actually slightly faster than the Tegra 3.

That reminds me, Tegra 4 has been pushed back from this year to next... the plan is for Tegra 4 to blow everything else out of the water.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
The software would be a major concern for me. If you're invested in the Amazon ecosystem, I could see it. We'll know more when some review units get sent out.

Yep, I'm not a big Amazon guy so these may not be for me.. but at these prices I can see them being a good fit for a lot of other people.

WoodDraw
09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep, I'm not a big Amazon guy so these may not be for me.. but at these prices I can see them being a good fit for a lot of other people.

Do you know what's running underneath? Is it still Gingerbread, or have the merged into ICS?

DaFace
09-06-2012, 04:56 PM

I do agree with that. My wife has an original KF, and it would drive me nuts to be that locked down.

siberian khatru
09-06-2012, 05:01 PM
:bravo:

Guru
09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
$200 extra just to have 4g?

WoodDraw
09-06-2012, 05:12 PM

That reminds me, Tegra 4 has been pushed back from this year to next... the plan is for Tegra 4 to blow everything else out of the water.

Really, the Tegra 3, S4, and 4470 are all good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something with any of them.

Saulbadguy
09-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Whoa - I'd missed the truly big news earlier. They've got $50/YEAR 4G wireless plans for the top model. That's impressive.

Not worth it.

/guru

Deberg_1990
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Apple Fo life
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
09-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Not worth it.

/guru

Actually, that makes me rethink the price on the top model. Just became a better value.

vailpass
09-06-2012, 05:39 PM

I did not know that. Thank you.

htismaqe
09-06-2012, 06:20 PM

My kids have Fires and they are absolutely perfect for them. Not sure it would be right for me but for what they need, they can't be beat.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Actually, that makes me rethink the price on the top model. Just became a better value.

Yep. Even if you assume you can get by with the cheapest 250mb plan on AT&T, that's still $130/year more expensive than what Amazon is charging.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 06:56 PM
My kids have Fires and they are absolutely perfect for them. Not sure it would be right for me but for what they need, they can't be beat.

Exactly! Have you seen the new FreeTime feature? Pretty cool concept.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-unveils-kindle-freetime-gives-kids-their-own-space-to-pl/

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/amazon-event-2012-_1463-575x380.jpg

It even lets you define multiple profiles.. pretty damn smart move, IMNSHO.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Do you know what's running underneath? Is it still Gingerbread, or have the merged into ICS?

It's ICS. No specific details on it though.

Fruit Ninja
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
i love my Kindle, i use it alot. its great for when your dropping dueces too, no more reading the back of shampoo bottles. haha

Anyways, them are some damn good prices on the next ones coming out.

AustinChief
09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
i love my Kindle, i use it alot. its great for when your dropping dueces too, no more reading the back of shampoo bottles. haha

Anyways, them are some damn good prices on the next ones coming out.

Yeah, we are slowly crawling to the "sweet spot." We already know that $150 full sized tablets (ie Touchpad fire sale) will sell out as fast as they can make them. My guess is that $150/7" and $250/9-10" is a good spot for us to settle in for the middle of the road tablets of the future. So, $50 away at this point, I'd guess next Christmas season (2013) will see that spot reached... or damn close.

It's really going to depend on what MS does with theirs next month.

Virtua Chief
09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
All the kindle fires announced have ads on the lock screens, like the ad-supported kindle readers. http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/new-kindle-fire-hd-ad-supported/
Not that it's a big deal for some people, I suppose.

DaFace
09-06-2012, 10:06 PM
All the kindle fires announced have ads on the lock screens, like the ad-supported kindle readers. http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/new-kindle-fire-hd-ad-supported/
Not that it's a big deal for some people, I suppose.

Huh. That's one of those things that doesn't really matter, but would probably bug me.

BWillie
09-07-2012, 02:05 AM
I thought I'd use my Kindle Fire more, but turns out I don't need two devices. I use my EVO way more. Easier to carry around, can do enough and it's 3 years old. But I don't do anything special

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Exactly! Have you seen the new FreeTime feature? Pretty cool concept.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-unveils-kindle-freetime-gives-kids-their-own-space-to-pl/

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/amazon-event-2012-_1463-575x380.jpg

It even lets you define multiple profiles.. pretty damn smart move, IMNSHO.

That's a great feature for parents, no doubt. Fortunately, I have 2 girls that are nerds (chip off the old block :)) so they already use it primarily for reading books.

In fact, I bought my oldest daughter her Fire after we saw "John Carter". She decided she wanted to read "Princess of Mars". The paperback trilogy was going to run me $10-20 but as an Amazon prime member (yes, we order everything there, including toilet paper), the e-books were FREE. As we started looking at the books she wanted to read, I suddenly realized I could buy the Kindle cheaper than I could buy her all of those books.

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 06:01 AM
I thought I'd use my Kindle Fire more, but turns out I don't need two devices. I use my EVO way more. Easier to carry around, can do enough and it's 3 years old. But I don't do anything special

I can see that.

My work sent me an iPad to do "no boot" corporate email while I'm the road. However, my Android uses the same exact email client and since I'm not 55 like most of my co-workers, I don't have trouble with reading the small screen or typing on the on-screen keyboard. So I don't use my iPad much (blasphemy, I know).

That being said, my kids stream Netflix to their Kindles on long road trips (via my wife's Android, cannot say enough how AWESOME hotspot mode is) and they wouldn't be able to really enjoy a movie on a 4" screen.

Deberg_1990
09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
I wonder how the Nooks are doing and how long they are going to be able to hang in there?

I like that you can dual boot those if you should choose.

Virtua Chief
09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Huh. That's one of those things that doesn't really matter, but would probably bug me.

Apparently, they are also on the lower corner of the home screen, which is slightly more intrusive.

DaFace
09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Apparently, they are also on the lower corner of the home screen, which is slightly more intrusive.

Yeah, that'd be a dealbreaker for me. But again, I wasn't really interested in the first place. :)

Silock
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm totally interested in the top model if you can take out the Amazon interface and still keep the 4G access.

KCFalcon59
09-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, that'd be a dealbreaker for me. But again, I wasn't really interested in the first place. :)

Engadget reporting that it can be disabled. link (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/amazon-confirms-yes-you-can-opt-out-of-ads-on-new-kindle-fire/)

That didn't last long. Support person obviously wasn't in the loop. Can't opt out. I have the kindle with special offers and it really isn't that intrusive at all being on the lock screen. So not a big deal to me.

vailpass
09-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Do your kids read books on their Fires? If so, what is the screen quality like? Good enough?

DaFace
09-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Do your kids read books on their Fires? If so, what is the screen quality like? Good enough?

My wife does (and I do on my tablet). They're about the same in terms of quality. That is, I don't mind reading off of a screen, but it can be a little tough to see when you're in a bright area - especially if you've got a lot of artificial lights around. In that case, the glare gets to be a bit annoying.

Bewbies
09-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I read on my fire all the time. It'd be worthless outside during the day, but it's great especially at night in the dark.

vailpass
09-07-2012, 04:04 PM
My wife does (and I do on my tablet). They're about the same in terms of quality. That is, I don't mind reading off of a screen, but it can be a little tough to see when you're in a bright area - especially if you've got a lot of artificial lights around. In that case, the glare gets to be a bit annoying.

Thanks Face. Does reading a book on the Kindle ever make her/your eyes hurt?

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM

My oldest daughter could read a 300-page book in a week or less. After getting the Fire, he reading volume went UP. She loves it. Hardly ever puts it down.

In fact, she never used to read in the car because it made her queasy. Not so with the Kindle, she reads on it all the time in the car.

vailpass
09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
My oldest daughter could read a 300-page book in a week or less. After getting the Fire, he reading volume went UP. She loves it. Hardly ever puts it down.

In fact, she never used to read in the car because it made her queasy. Not so with the Kindle, she reads on it all the time in the car.

Just what I wanted to know, thanks. And this is the Fire were' talking about, not the regular Kindle, yes?

Donger
09-07-2012, 04:39 PM
My daughter wants a "Kindle Fire" for her birthday. I had to look up what the fuck that was today. So, it's basically like an e-reader thing?

AustinChief
09-07-2012, 05:29 PM
My daughter wants a "Kindle Fire" for her birthday. I had to look up what the fuck that was today. So, it's basically like an e-reader thing?

Not really, the e-reader is the Kindle PaperWhite.. the Fire is a full on tablet. Of course, it can be used as an e-reader.

DaFace
09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Looks like Amazon wasn't originally planning to let people opt out, but decided to do so after the backlash. $15 (one-time) = no ads.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3126_7-57508986/amazon-backtracks-will-offer-$15-opt-out-for-ads-on-kindle-fire-tablets/

Fried Meat Ball!
09-09-2012, 09:33 AM

If it's like the ereaders, it's not intrusive at all. I've got an ad-supported Kindle Touch. Ads are only on the screensaver and the home menu screen at the very bottom. None at all when I'm reading. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. As a matter of fact, you pretty quickly get ad blindness to it since they're in the same spot every time.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Just what I wanted to know, thanks. And this is the Fire were' talking about, not the regular Kindle, yes?

Correct. At the time we bought them, they were the top-of-the-line unit.

vailpass
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Correct. At the time we bought them, they were the top-of-the-line unit.

Gracias.

WoodDraw
09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I guess the embargoes got lifted, as a lot of the big tech sites have reviews up now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/11/3317586/kindle-fire-hd-review-7-inch

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-review-7-inch/