PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Is this laptop a good enough deal?

Guru
09-07-2012, 04:53 AM
http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-core-i3-laptop

Refurbished with 90 day HP warranty
HP Pavilion G7-1310US Laptop,
17.3" HD+ BrightView LED,
Intel Core i3-2350M Dual-Core 2.3GHz,
6GB,
640GB,
Bluetooth,
802.11n,
W7HP

$389.99

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Not a big fan of the i3 but that is pretty cheap...

Guru
09-07-2012, 06:08 AM
not a fan of refurbished but that is pretty cheap....

Seriously though, refurbs do scare me when it comes to laptops in general. What is everyones experience with them?

kepp
09-07-2012, 06:30 AM
That's pretty cheap for the specs. I bought a refurbished laptop for my daughter and its been fine.

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
not a fan of refurbished but that is pretty cheap....

Seriously though, refurbs do scare me when it comes to laptops in general. What is everyones experience with them?

Refurbs aren't any different than buying a used car.

When you alternator fails, you replace the alternator rather than the entire car. The water pump is still the original water pump and it will likely fail at some point prior to the new alternator failing.

That being said, some dealerships offer "certified" used cars. That means they've not only replaced failed parts but they've also inspected the entire vehicle and checked off that there are no imminent failures.

With a refurb PC, some component has failed and been replaced. That particular part is new but the rest of the PC is used and has the wear and tear that comes with it.

You might research failure rates on this particular model to see what the average time to failure is. That information is often hard to find, though. At that point, it comes down to the warranty. Does the company you are purchasing it from offer "certified used cars" or do they sell them "as is". In most cases I've encountered, they've replaced the failed part and THAT IS IT. They have not looked at any of the rest of the PC and if another part fails, you may be out of luck.

Guru
09-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Refurbs aren't any different than buying a used car.

When you alternator fails, you replace the alternator rather than the entire car. The water pump is still the original water pump and it will likely fail at some point prior to the new alternator failing.

That being said, some dealerships offer "certified" used cars. That means they've not only replaced failed parts but they've also inspected the entire vehicle and checked off that there are no imminent failures.

With a refurb PC, some component has failed and been replaced. That particular part is new but the rest of the PC is used and has the wear and tear that comes with it.

You might research failure rates on this particular model to see what the average time to failure is. That information is often hard to find, though. At that point, it comes down to the warranty. Does the company you are purchasing it from offer "certified used cars" or do they sell them "as is". In most cases I've encountered, they've replaced the failed part and THAT IS IT. They have not looked at any of the rest of the PC and if another part fails, you may be out of luck.
OK, that has me leaning away now. heh

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
I noticed it says it has an "HP" warranty. I haven't dealt with HP for warranty replacement (never had an HP fail) but Dell is a bitch to deal with.

Guru
09-07-2012, 06:44 AM
I noticed it says it has an "HP" warranty. I haven't dealt with HP for warranty replacement (never had an HP fail) but Dell is a bitch to deal with.

I have only owned HP laptops and really have no complaints. I have never needed the warranty for them.

htismaqe
09-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I have only owned HP laptops and really have no complaints. I have never needed the warranty for them.

Then maybe it's not that bad of a deal after all. ;)

Pestilence
09-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I believe that most refurbished laptops will only come with a 30 day warranty. It's up to you to purchase an extended one.

Guru
09-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Says this is a 90 day HP backed warranty in the OP

Pestilence
09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Says this is a 90 day HP backed warranty in the OP

Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm stupid.

Guru
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm stupid.

and a pest. ;)

vailpass
09-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Half a day and there isn't a parody "Is This Lapdance A Good Enough Deal" thread?
By all the gods old and new, Planet I am dissapoint.

Guru
09-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Half a day and there isn't a parody "Is This Lapdance A Good Enough Deal" thread?
By all the gods old and new, Planet I am dissapoint.

what about a refurbished lapdance?

vailpass
09-07-2012, 04:44 PM
what about a refurbished lapdance?

:D Thanks Guru.

What's the warranty on something like that?