PDA

View Full Version : Misc You're a Browns fan. Do you boo or honor Art Modell's recognition in Cleveland?

KCtotheSB
09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059413/article/browns-to-show-appropriate-recognition-to-art-modell?module=HP11_headline_stack

Browns to show 'appropriate recognition' to Art Modell
By Marc Sessler
Writer

The Cleveland Browns will honor their former longtime owner Art Modell with an "appropriate recognition" during Sunday's pregame lead up to playing the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sessler: Modell a major figure
He's villified in Cleveland, but Art Modell meant a lot to the NFL over 43 seasons as sole owner of the Browns and Ravens, Marc Sessler writes. More...
The NFL has asked all home teams to commemorate Modell's life in some fashion Sunday, and Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis told Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer the team has decided follow suit.

Modell, who passed away Thursday, remains a radioactive figure in Cleveland after moving the franchise to Baltimore in 1996. Despite staying on as a sole and then minority owner of the Ravens until the end, Modell never attended another game in Cleveland after the relocation.
The NFL is right in asking teams to honor the man who gave so much to the league over the years, but asking for this to happen in Cleveland is a recipe for disaster.

The Browns' first instinct was to bypass a moment of silence for Modell. That was wise, even if the man deserves more. Modell-angst grows from the soil of this city. Some have forgiven him -- and maybe everyone should -- but the Dawg Pound is a controversial locale for a tribute.

The Modell family deserves our respect, but the topic is better left alone in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Looks like the Browns will be doing away with the "moment of silence". If you were in the the seats at Cleveland Browns Stadium, what would you do?

Brock
09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
That's a pretty stupid idea.

chop
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I think the Browns fans should just let it go. I could understand them still being bitter if they didn't have a team but they do. Time to get over it.

Dayze
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
There is stupid, the there is Cleveland Stupid

Bewbies
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
They will boo so loud it will be the lead on sportscenter.

Dayze
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Was models the original owne? I can't remember

whoman69
09-07-2012, 06:59 PM
It will look like Philly when Santa Claus comes to visit.

Bowser
09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Dumb and classless

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Was models the original owne? I can't remember

Arthur McBride formed the team in 1944 and hired Paul Brown as the first coach. Modell bought them in 1961.

jspchief
09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
I'd boo.

Deberg_1990
09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Its Cleveland.....there will most definately be some vocal boos.

Saul Good
09-07-2012, 07:13 PM
If Clark moved the team to LA, would you mourn his death in twenty years?

Dayze
09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Nope.
To clarify....I guess I wouldn't care either way. If they moved, oh well. Plenty of teams to follow at the collegiate level etc.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-07-2012, 07:19 PM
I understand having no love for the guy if you're a Clevelander from way back. That said booing a guy upon his death is really classless. It is Cleveland though.

Dayze
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
^

Unsmooth-Moment
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM

This.. I think they should just leave this out of Cleveland.

chefsos
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
This.. I think they should just leave this out of Cleveland.Yeah, there's no reason to goad them into doing something tasteless. However, they'll probably whine about being denied the opportunity to whine.

ChiefButthurt
09-07-2012, 07:33 PM

I mean really? Probably be doing us all a favor by moving this team....42 years and counting. :banghead:

Mr. Flopnuts
09-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I think the Browns fans should just let it go. I could understand them still being bitter if they didn't have a team but they do. Time to get over it.

Yeah. They have a factory of sadness while Baltimore gets the Championship and contends every year. I'd boo like a motherfucker.

notorious
09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
He moved the team.

When you get your new team, your old team rapes you repeatedly since the NFL put you in the same division.

Your old team wins a Super Bowl.

Jesus, I would probably do unbelieably tasteless things I can't even dream up right now.

jspchief
09-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Cleveland's only connection to Modell is as the owner that took their team.

If I was a Browns fan, the shits I gave for him would have left on the same plane that he flew to Baltimore in.

Chiefnj2
09-07-2012, 08:30 PM
They'll do something pre-game well before any television broadcast begins or do it on a commercial break.

Baconeater
09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Why did he move the team anyway? Was it a stadium issue? I've always wondered why they didn't just build Modell the stadium that they ended up building for their shitty expansion franchise a few years later.

I suppose I could research this stuff myself but I'm kinda lazy.

BryanBusby
09-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Fans in Cleveland have every right to boo him non-stop dead or not. He basically pissed allover that city like R Kelly.

They had to sue him just to keep the name and the history.

Bump
09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
He was a good man, grandfather of this league, pioneer, did a lot. Honor him.

tk13
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
People here aren't happy with Clark Hunt and the team is still in KC. Imagine if he moved the team to LA... it wouldn't be pretty.

Frazod
09-07-2012, 08:53 PM
It doesn't matter what I'd do - they WILL boo the crap out of him. This is one of the dumbest goddamn things I've ever heard of. Nobody remembers that Benedict Arnold was a heroic American general - they just remember his betrayal. Modell could have rescued burning orphans from a sinking ship the day before the Browns left, and nobody would care.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. It will be an embarrassment for the team, the fans, the city and the league, and good God, do the Browns really need any help in that department? :shake:

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-07-2012, 08:54 PM
People here aren't happy with Clark Hunt and the team is still in KC. Imagine if he moved the team to LA... it wouldn't be pretty.

I still wouldn't boo him upon his death. That's just me though.

pr_capone
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
They will boo so loud it will be the lead on sportscenter.

It will be like Mark Kasl walked out onto the field at the K.

Frazod
09-07-2012, 08:55 PM
I booed the crap out of Bronco Neil the day he was (to our eternal shame) put in the Chiefs Ring of Fame. I just wish I'd had better seats so the traitor prick could have heard me.

Chiefnj2
09-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I still wouldn't boo him upon his death. That's just me though.

They are asking the fans to show respect for a man that didn't show them respect. Modell not only took the team, but wanted to take the name, records and everything else. He would have been fine erasing football and its history from Cleveland. He doesn't deserve a moment of silence from Cleveland.

If Cleveland is smart they will not sell any bottled beverages prior to the moment of silence.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I booed the crap out of Bronco Neil the day he was (to our eternal shame) put in the Chiefs Ring of Fame. I just wish I'd had better seats so the traitor prick could have heard me.

Neil Smith wasn't honored with that upon his death though. If you want to boo him for purely football reasons while he's living that's fine.

IMO booing a person, any person, who never commited atrocitys against man in any way is tasteless. He moved a football team to a new city. He thumbed his nose at Cleveland pretty much. I understand them not liking him. From all accounts he was a good and decent man though and he has kids, grandkids, maybe great grandkids who won't necessarily understand why their grandfather would recieve public hatred from thousands of people. He has a grieving family. I know the masses don't think about those things but booing him isn't going to accomplish anything but potentially cause more pain to people who have nothing to do with why those people are booing. Booing isn't going to change what happened and it's not going to make a point to a guy who is dead. It's only going to cause more pain... for the family, for the franchise and really for the fans who are there re-living what they feel happened to them.

It's football... it's not life. It's called paying your "respects" not taking a last shot that doesn't even matter.

And ftr I don't think they should do anything in Cleveland to honor him. The team leadership may feel it's the right thing to do but they should know it's just likely to be ugly. Maybe that's what they want too.

Just my 2 cents.

RunKC
09-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I would be totally fine if Clark sold this team to LA.....if another person who was worth a shit started a new NFL team in KC or just sued Clark to bring the Chiefs name and history back.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-07-2012, 09:11 PM
They are asking the fans to show respect for a man that didn't show them respect. Modell not only took the team, but wanted to take the name, records and everything else. He would have been fine erasing football and its history from Cleveland. He doesn't deserve a moment of silence from Cleveland.

If Cleveland is smart they will not sell any bottled beverages prior to the moment of silence.

They (the team) probably shouldn't ask that of them.