PDA

View Full Version : Life Insulting to refer to someone as a ginger?

redhed
09-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Settle a bet.

KCUnited
09-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I say no. You can't insult something that has no soul.

DaFace
09-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Oh, probably. But more on the "four eyes" level than on the "n*****" level.

Caseyguyrr
09-08-2012, 07:57 AM
they're soul-less daywalkers.

redhed
09-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I say no as well.

Bump
09-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Think about all the great people in history who were ginger. People like... Like, uh, like...

Ace Gunner
09-08-2012, 07:59 AM
depends on if you are a girl or not

acesn8s
09-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, Mary Ann was prettier.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 08:03 AM
No, but I'm not a Ginger.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Think about all the great people in history who were ginger. People like... Like, uh, like...

Billay

redhed
09-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Well, Mary Ann was prettier.

In addition to knowing animal husbandry, she was probably one helluva baker.

Luke Warm
09-08-2012, 08:05 AM
"Porch Monkey 4 Life"!!!

It's cool, I'm taking it back.

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/randal-graves-42059.jpg

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Of course it is offensive, Everything is offensive these days.

Dave Lane
09-08-2012, 08:19 AM
No and tell billay to shut the fuck up.

Mr. Laz
09-08-2012, 09:12 AM
never heard of any negative connotations to the word 'ginger'

:shrug:

cabletech94
09-08-2012, 09:16 AM
i bet schottenheimer is a ginger. :(

Fried Meat Ball!
09-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Personally, I don't think it's an insult, but that's at least partly because I love gingers...

That said....

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6377/gingerfreckles.jpg

Spott
09-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I was called spaghetti head and carrot top as a kid, along with being "red on the head like the dick on a dog" so ginger doesn't bother me. But that only came along after that South Park episode a few years back so most people that use that word are under 21 anyways. Most of them probably don't even know who Ginger was.

chop
09-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Depends, if they are just saying the person has red hair than no but sometimes it is meant as an insult, so yes.

Ebolapox
09-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Ron Howard?

Mr. Laz
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Depends, if they are just saying the person has red hair than no but sometimes it is meant as an insult, so yes.
what kind of insult is it?

what does it mean?

Spott
09-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Christopher Columbus

Setsuna
09-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Ron Howard?

Arrested Development. Yes, greatest man in history.

BigRedChief
09-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Think about all the great people in history who were ginger. People like... Like, uh, like...I guess Carol Burnett or Lucille Ball but we also have Napolean and Lizzie Borden.

I'm not offended by "Ginger" why would I be offended?

BigRedChief
09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Personally, I don't think it's an insult, but that's at least partly because I love gingers

Sorry, I'm spoken for.

LiveSteam
09-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Zoccermom

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I'd say it's more insulting to be called billay.

Lonewolf Ed
09-08-2012, 11:14 AM
never heard of any negative connotations to the word 'ginger'

How about this? Ginger beer sucks mighty ass!

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I tell you what, I have always had the hots for redheads with some freckles

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
No, if I want to insult someone I'll call em a Raider fan.

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 11:39 AM
No, if I want to insult someone I'll call em a Raider fan.

har har har hee har

Aries Walker
09-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Thomas Jefferson.

boogblaster
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
i like some gingers .....

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
To premise this story, as I've gotten older, my freckles have faded and my hair is darker, but I still suffer from what some call "gingervitus."

About a year ago I was out with this girl and some of her friends are talking smack about a someone they work with. Out of the blue, one of them ends their b!tchfest with, "Whatever, she's a f***ing ginger anyways!"

I was sitting right there! WTF!?!?!

I get that it's a joke, but it's plain to see that it can be offensive.

Baby Lee
09-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Insulting? Yes.
Malicious? I don't get that vibe.

Seems more like an arbitrary way to vent, like Austin Powers' dad's hatred of the Dutch, more than an actual concentrated effort at marginalization.

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 02:34 PM

"Ron Howard and............Ron Howard."

Really though, last year ESPN did a gag segment on Andy Dalton. Dalton, aka "The Red Rifle," said he was tired of always being called "Red...[whatever]." It response, Trey Wingo called him "Red Andy." LMAO

Shaid
09-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Depends on the person. Some people call themselves gingers. Others get really offended. If it's a hot chick, I doubt she'd care at all. If it's a teenage boy, he'd probably want to punch you in the face.

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Insulting? Yes.
Malicious? I don't get that vibe.

Seems more like an arbitrary way to vent, like Austin Powers' dad's hatred of the Dutch, more than an actual concentrated effort at marginalization.

Please read my post above yours and tell me how that's not marginalization.

Baby Lee
09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Please read my post above yours and tell me how that's not marginalization.

How about 'one anecdote is not a concentrated effort?'

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 02:45 PM
How about 'one anecdote is not a concentrated effort?'

Does my story mean everyone that says ginger is dismissing them? No, but my anecdote is a perfect example of marginalization. It's all just jokes right?

Claynus
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
It's about as bad as calling someone a geek or a nerd.

38yrsfan
09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
"A rare natural hair colour which inspires odd and sometimes fearful reactions from the more common coloured hair types. Typically redheads are believed to be more sexual than normal, highly artistic, fierce fighters, and to have a greater tolerance for pain than average. The sun is their only real enemy. Decendants of vikings. The Romans were said to have put red haired males born in the empire into training as soldiers since they were believed to be fierce warriors. Rome also gave up on taking Ireland due to the number of redheads they saw there.
Women with ginger hair are greatly admired in the US yet feared in the UK.

Being called a "Ginger" is an insult in England but laughable in the US.

Famous gingers/redheads: Vincent van Gogh, Thomas Jefferson, Eric the Red, Stan Laurel, Ron Howard, Katharine Hepburn, Maud Gonne, Maureen O'Hara, Shirley Manson, Ewan McGregor, Lindsay Lohan...etc..."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ginger

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
It's about as bad as calling someone a geek or a nerd.

:hmmm: Those terms seem like a pretty good way to marginalize someone.

-King-
09-08-2012, 03:17 PM
I was called spaghetti head and carrot top as a kid, along with being "red on the head like the dick on a dog" so ginger doesn't bother me. But that only came along after that South Park episode a few years back so most people that use that word are under 21 anyways. Most of them probably don't even know who Ginger was.
:LOL::LOL:

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
:hmmm: Those terms seem like a pretty good way to marginalize someone.

I bet I know who you are voting for

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I bet I know who you are voting for

and?

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 03:52 PM
and?

This is not DC so I am not going there

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
This is not DC so I am not going there

you already did, soooo...

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
you already did, soooo...

It seems like to me you people tend to have more bruised vaginas than most.. Just Saying

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 04:06 PM
It seems like to me you people tend to have more bruised vaginas than most.. Just Saying

If you think I get all butthurt because someone says ginger, you're wrong.

If you can't see how calling someone a geek or nerd, which gochiefs likened to calling someone a ginger, can be a way to marginalize someone, you're an idiot...just sayin'.

Like so many words, it's all about context, but the fact remains...

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM

If you can't see how calling someone a geek or nerd, which gochiefs likened to calling someone a ginger, can be a way to marginalize someone, you're an idiot...just sayin'.

You people are too sensitive...

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
You people are too sensitive...

:deevee: Whenever I'm feeling down, I listen to this to cheer me up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mqbB8aPD1UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:hmmm: The songs message? Even when someone calls you names and dismisses you, don't let it bother you. You are more than just "gingerballs."

Baby Lee
09-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Figwit!!

Fried Meat Ball!
09-08-2012, 05:54 PM

So... serious question. Since I really do love me some gingers and refer to "ginger" in a complimentary way, is it OK? ... 'cause... you know... some of my best friends are gingers.

Baby Lee
09-08-2012, 06:13 PM
So... serious question. Since I really do love me some gingers and refer to "ginger" in a complimentary way, is it OK? ... 'cause... you know... some of my best friends are gingers.

I think you have to shorten it to ging-ah!!

redhed
09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
At this point, the poll is much closer than I'd have imagined.

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I think you have to shorten it to ging-ah!!

This.

Really though. Back to what the OP asked. Is saying "my friend is a ginger and therefore needs more anesthesia" offensive to me? No. However, if you say "my friend is a ginger and therefore has a fire-crotch" it is offensive.

Cartman on redheads in South Park is an extreme satire of what we do as humans all the time. We find differences in people and demean them for it. Fat-asses, midgets, retards, pillowbiters, dumb-blondes, rednecks, jews, bible-thumpers. Context dictates if we're laughing with them or at them.

If the played out joke about not having souls was about black people, we'd see a lot more write-ups about some idiot that got his ass kicked at the club.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-08-2012, 07:13 PM
This.

Really though. Back to what the OP asked. Is saying "my friend is a ginger and therefore needs more anesthesia" offensive to me? No. However, if you say "my friend is a ginger and therefore has a fire-crotch" it is offensive.

Cartman on redheads in South Park is an extreme satire of what we do as humans all the time. We find differences in people and demean them for it. Fat-asses, midgets, retards, pillowbiters, dumb-blondes, rednecks. Context dictates if we're laughing with them or at them.

If the played out joke about not having souls was about black people, we'd see a lot more write-ups about some idiot that got his ass kicked at the club.

But this is where it gets fuzzy (pun not intended)... what if I say, "My girlfriend is a ging-ah and therefore has a fire-crotch, and I ****in' LOVE that!!" Still offensive?

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Is Reggie a Ginger?

http://cbssacramento.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/reggie-mckenzie2.jpg?w=300

3rd&48ers
09-08-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/commons/ibtelefonica2.jpg

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
But this is where it gets fuzzy (pun not intended)... what if I say, "My girlfriend is a ginger and therefore has a fire-crotch, and I ****in' LOVE that!!" Still offensive?

I guess it depends on her feelings about it.

My friend's wife always jokes about wanting to have his ginger babies. I mainly take offense to this simply because she's not a funny person.

Why not call your gf a redhead? I just feel like "ginger" is always a lead-in to a joke. Jokes are good. Jokes are funny. Jokes are often offensive..if their good. The root of much comedy stems from the sounds we make. "G" is a "funny" sound.

Fried Meat Ball!
09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
I guess it depends on her feelings about it.

My friend's wife always jokes about wanting to have his ginger babies. I mainly take offense to this simply because she's not a funny person.

Why not call your gf a redhead? I just feel like "ginger" is always a lead-in to a joke. Jokes are good. Jokes are funny. Jokes are often offensive..if their good. The root of much comedy stems from the sounds we make. "G" is a "funny" sound.

Interesting... are you saying there's no difference between a "ginger" and a "redhead"? See, I always thought a "ginger" was the fiery red hair with the pale complexion, sometimes freckles. And a redhead was just red hair, often not that fiery red.

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Interesting... are you saying there's no difference between a "ginger" and a "redhead"? See, I always thought a "ginger" was the fiery red hair with the pale complexion, sometimes freckles. And a redhead was just red hair, often not that fiery red.

I've always thought it was weird to refer to a woman who has dyed her hair as "a redhead." If the carpet doesn't match the drapes, you're not a redhead, you're someone with dyed hair.

Both my sister's have dyed their hair red and it looks natural b/c of their complexion.

OK another story of "Did you just say that in front of me???"

So I'm at a rock show, waiting in line for a beer and this guy starts making small talk. He then starts to comment on the redhead with huge tits that working the bar. Uh dude...that's my sister. :doh!:

Fried Meat Ball!
09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I've always thought it was weird to refer to a woman who has dyed her hair as "a redhead." If the carpet doesn't match the drapes, you're not a redhead, you're someone with dyed hair.

Both my sister's have dyed their hair red and it looks natural b/c of their complexion.

OK another story of "Did you just say that in front of me???"

So I'm at a rock show, waiting in line for a beer and this guy starts making small talk. He then starts to comment on the redhead with huge tits that working the bar. Uh dude...that's my sister. :doh!:

ROFL LOL

I understand. My wife is a fake redhead, and it looks natural on her, as well (actually looks more natural, and always has, than her natural hair color).

BoltWalt
09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes, everybody knows Maryann is cuter anyways.:p