PDA

View Full Version : News Colorado school district bans Peyton Manning's No. 18 jersey

Tribal Warfare
09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Colorado school district bans Peyton Manning's No. 18 jersey (http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-school-district-bans-peyton-mannings-no-18-222456213--nfl.html)
By Keith Coffman | Reuters – 14 hrs ago

Peyton Manning of the Denver Broncos …
DENVER (Reuters) - Students at a Colorado school district may be excited about the upcoming debut of Peyton Manning as the Denver Broncos' new quarterback, but they are banned from wearing the NFL star's number 18 jersey to class.
A dress code imposed by school officials in Greeley, Colorado prohibits students and staff members from wearing clothing that may be associated with gang activity - including the number 18, which could refer to the Los-Angeles-based 18th Street gang.
The ban went virtually unnoticed until this week when third-grader Konnor Vanatta wore his orange Manning replica jersey to school in Greeley, about 50 miles northeast of Denver.
"They told me I couldn't wear 18 anymore because it's a gang number and I had to take it off," he told a Denver television station.
The Broncos open their regular season schedule on Sunday night at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team they defeated in last year's playoffs.
The Greeley-Evans School District said in a statement that the policy was enacted four years ago because street gangs associate themselves with the numerals 13, 14, 18 or their reverses. The only exceptions to the ban are if those numbers are worn in sanctioned team sports.
"Because of the prevalence of some gangs in the Greeley area, we are vigilant about keeping gang behavior out of our schools," the statement said. "By banning these displays in our schools, we have reduced the presence of gang activity, intimidation, recruiting and confrontations."
The district said in order to "send a consistent message" the policy is applied to all students in the district from elementary to high school.
Greeley police spokeswoman Sgt. Susan West said gang members frequently wear certain colors or numbers on their clothing to denote their gang affiliations.
"We are in agreement with the school district on efforts to curtail that activity," she said.
The Broncos signed Manning in March after the perennial All-Pro signal caller was let go by his previous team, the Indianapolis Colts. Manning sat out all last season following neck surgery.
(Editing by Dan Whitcomb and Cynthia Johnston; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

Inmem58
09-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Peyton Manning

Luke Warm
09-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Do their tests in school not go past 18 questions? Do they cross of the 18th on their calendars? I could keep going. This is so fucking stupid.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Holy shit.

Why are school officials so fucking dumb?

Baconeater
09-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Good fucking grief. But the kid deserves it for being a Donk fan.

LiveSteam
09-08-2012, 08:56 AM
This story has WIN all over it

Fish
09-08-2012, 08:57 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/Br6dR/simpsons_nelson_haha2.png

Messier
09-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Off, but still a little on topic. I still think it's douchy of Manning to take 18, even though it had been retired. I know the player gave Manning permission to use the number, but wouldn't have been good form to say no, I'll wear another number. No big deal. Dawson said Montana could wear 16, and he declined. Not a huge deal, but it bugs me.

tredadda
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
That is so funny. Greeley has more things to worry about than that

Bwana
09-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Dipshits LMAO

Bump
09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
so fucking stupid. This country is fucking stupid as shit.

Setsuna
09-08-2012, 10:15 AM
WTF??? Since when can you delegate what people can wear based on assumptions? This country has been socialized.

KCtotheSB
09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I was told not to wear red Kansas City Chief shirts when I went to middle school in Albuquerque. Apparently, the "Crypts" in the area (who wore blue) would have mistaken a small, puny 14 year old white kid as a member of the opposite gang.

Rausch
09-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Payed-a-ton being associated with gang activity is laughable...

Setsuna
09-08-2012, 10:27 AM
The whole state of Colorado is suffering due to Tebow's departure.

Cephalic Trauma
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
so ****ing stupid. This country is ****ing stupid as shit.

WTF??? Since when can you delegate what people can wear based on assumptions? This country has been socialized.

Way to make a generalization about a country based on a local school district in Denver. Brilliant.

Hog Farmer
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Off, but still a little on topic. I still think it's douchy of Manning to take 18, even though it had been retired. I know the player gave Manning permission to use the number, but wouldn't have been good form to say no, I'll wear another number. No big deal. Dawson said Montana could wear 16, and he declined. Not a huge deal, but it bugs me.

Didn't know this. That confirms it , the Broncos suck and Manning is a Douche ! Too bad he's not a Chief !

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
KnowMo was kicked out of his 4th grade Social Studies class for wearing one...

boogblaster
09-08-2012, 12:44 PM
its a sad day in donkland .....

Psyko Tek
09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
so fucking stupid. This country is fucking stupid as shit.

when you worry about the minutia, the big things tend to get ignored,
but everybody get to get good and outraged about the little shit

Bowser
09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Good God but do we have some ignorant fucks in this country.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow. Peyton Douchebag.

I had no idea he was wearing a retired number.

I don't give a shit that he was given the okay.

KChiefer
09-08-2012, 06:11 PM
In high school I had a T-shirt with different kinds of mushrooms with their species names under them. They made me take it off because some of them were psychedelic. I tried to argue that we had a poster in biology class that looked just like my shirt. The deans weren't buyin' it.

They also banned us from wearing our Senior "Big Cock Security" shirts that had a picture of a rooster in a uniform.

JASONSAUTO
09-08-2012, 06:33 PM
The school district is just looking to save parents money.

They know he will be broken soon and out of the league
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil
09-08-2012, 06:34 PM
There have been massive "gang-related" rules changes over the last decade or so in public schools. There is a rule in my local High School that no more than five students are allowed to congregate if they are all wearing any items of clothing that are predominately the same color. The schools are going after the visual clues that gangs use to show their presence. Unless you want to pay enough taxes to establish a school police force, or come up with something else that works at least as well...tough shit. The kids have to follow those rules.

Tombstone RJ
09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
so ****ing stupid. This country is ****ing stupid as shit.

this

Chiefshrink
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Greeley a cow town which means it is a bunch of MS13 illegal alien punks:#