PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Why does anybody dive headfirst into first base?

Brainiac
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I just watched Mark Teixieira get called out at first base on Sportscenter. He beat the throw, but the umpire called him out, and Teixeira was justifiably upset about it. Teixeira saw that it was going to be a close play, so he dove headfirst into first base.

Why the hell does anybody dive into first base when they hit a ground ball to an infielder and they're trying to beat the throw? It's ridiculous and it's retarded. Diving into the base SLOWS YOU DOWN. Running through first base gets you there much faster. This practice drives me crazy.

I've watched lots of races, especially since the Olympics were just on television. Guess what? I've NEVER seen a guy dive headfirst for the finish line in any race.

Are major league ballplayers just stupid? This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-08-2012, 10:44 PM
They think it will get them there faster. /thread

Brainiac
09-08-2012, 10:46 PM
They think it will get them there faster. /thread
So you're saying they ARE stupid.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-08-2012, 10:47 PM
So you're saying they ARE stupid.

Yes.

Ace Gunner
09-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Let's ponder this.

BigMeatballDave
09-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Regardless, the ump still fucked up.

Bambi
09-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Yankees get hosed again.

Baseball is so stupid. Now to the point of intentionally making calls against NY.

Grow up already.

listopencil
09-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I just watched Mark Teixieira get called out at first base on Sportscenter. He beat the throw, but the umpire called him out, and Teixeira was justifiably upset about it. Teixeira saw that it was going to be a close play, so he dove headfirst into first base.

Why the hell does anybody dive into first base when they hit a ground ball to an infielder and they're trying to beat the throw? It's ridiculous and it's retarded. Diving into the base SLOWS YOU DOWN. Running through first base gets you there much faster. This practice drives me crazy.

I've watched lots of races, especially since the Olympics were just on television. Guess what? I've NEVER seen a guy dive headfirst for the finish line in any race.

Are major league ballplayers just stupid? This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.

At a certain range, diving head first and tagging the base with your hand gets there quicker, and creates a smaller target to tag out.

Ace Gunner
09-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Vodka martini is a fast way to get to first base.

JoeyChuckles
09-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Yankees get hosed again.

That statement is impossible.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Yankees get hosed again.

Baseball is so stupid. Now to the point of intentionally making calls against NY.

Grow up already.

Good for baseball!

Bambi
09-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Good for baseball!

hahaha,

was like some WWF shit out there tonight.

DJKid
09-08-2012, 11:29 PM
At a certain range, diving head first and tagging the base with your hand gets there quicker, and creates a smaller target to tag out.

Why would target size matter? No Need to make a "tag"

barry_smilez20
09-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Maybe when they feel like they're gonna have an awkward half stride/shuffle into the bag. I could see that

Shogun
09-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Yankees get hosed again.

Grow up already.

boo fucking hoo the fucking yankees didnt get one silly fucking call. go fuck yourself

-King-
09-08-2012, 11:33 PM

It's first base. No need to tag.

listopencil
09-08-2012, 11:36 PM
It's first base. No need to tag.

Never mind. I was thinking home plate when I skimmed the thread. Reading fail, I'm going to bed now.

ChiefsandO'sfan
09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Yankees get hosed again.

Grow up already.

Funny CC got the inside pitch all night but for Joe Saunders same pitch was a ball.

NJChiefsFan
09-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Teixeira has a calf injury. He had missed the previous ten games due to it. I kinda suspect that he wasn't comfortable doing a full-on stretch for 1st.

The reality is, for anyone that has played baseball, the fastest way to get to first is to run through it with normal strides but as fast as you can run(obviously). The stretch and ESPECIALLY the dive slow you down and make you look out. Umps make calls based on the sound, so Tex basically made the ump guess. It was a tough call, but as a Yankee fan I have gotten over it already. It happens. Plenty of time and I still expect the Yankees to be alright, no offense to the multiple Oriole fans on this site. If that doesn't happen, it won't be because of this play.

Bambi
09-08-2012, 11:50 PM
boo ****ing hoo the ****ing yankees didnt get one silly ****ing call. go **** yourself

I'm a Royals fan.

I believe in fair sport.

Take your anger somewhere else. I don't have time for it.

NJChiefsFan
09-08-2012, 11:57 PM
The Yankees have gotten their fair share of calls. The Jefferey Mayer call probably doesn't allow Yankee fans to complain about calls in games against the Orioles for about 30 years.

A Salt Weapon
09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
Probably lack of thinking or just instinct(although terrible situational awareness). Sliding slows you down, you slide into 2nd, 3rd, and home to create a lower profile for a tagout. 1st is almost always a force-out so no need to worry about the tag. Same reason on a runner sliding back into first, base isn't a force so you slide to avoid a tag.
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan
09-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Probably lack of thinking or just instinct(although terrible situational awareness). Sliding slows you down, you slide into 2nd, 3rd, and home to create a lower profile for a tagout. 1st is almost always a force-out so no need to worry about the tag. Same reason on a runner sliding back into first, base isn't a force so you slide to avoid a tag.
Posted via Mobile Device

Its that but also because since you have to stop on the base and not go past, sliding is a quicker way of stopping your momentum vs. trying to stop on your feet.

ChiefsNow
09-09-2012, 03:27 AM
I dive into first base becaused I really like boobies.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-09-2012, 03:29 AM
I dive into first base becaused I really like boobies.

Signed "drunk in Idaho."

:D

ChiefsNow
09-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Signed "drunk in Idaho."

:D

Winning!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Winning!!

;)