PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Steelers D vs. Chiefs D

petegz28
09-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Ok, I have heard people say both play a 2 gap and some say the Steelers play a 1 gap.

If both play a 2 gap WTF are we not flying around in the backfield like the Steelers?

Bowser
09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, but since when are we doing The Steeler Way?

-King-
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
They play a zone blitz scheme.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Talent evaluation.

Reerun_KC
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Crennels 7-11 defense shouldn't be compared to the Steelers

dannybcaitlyn
09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Personally would like to see us use the more aggressive 3-4 approach used by the ravens and jets.

MahiMike
09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Cocaine. Polamalu keeps it in his hair.

jspchief
09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Our defense is a joke. Average draft position of 6.6 on our Dline, and they are worthless against the pass.

Blame the scheme.
Blame the players.

There's no excuse for it.

Reerun_KC
09-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Our defense is a joke. Average draft position of 6.6 on our Dline, and they are worthless against the pass.

Blame the scheme.
Blame the players.

I blame the head coach.

jspchief
09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I blame the head coach.

There's enough blame to go around. Pioli switched us to this scheme and has done nothing but throw good money after bad to make it work. With horrible results.

Reerun_KC
09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
There's enough blame to go around. Pioli switched us to this scheme and has done nothing but throw good money after bad to make it work. With horrible results.

True including retaining crennel. Its been fail.after fail.

O.city
09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Actually thought the dline played pretty well today. In this scheme, the dline isn't going to pass rush.

If you want to blame anything, it's that. The NFL is now a pass first league. The 2 gap 34 d is more of a bend but don't break type of thing, that, IMO, is out of date.

chiefzilla1501
09-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Zone blitz is not the same as 2-gap. They are two totally different schemes. The few defenses that run it are from the Parcells tree. Miami ran it last year, but I have no idea if they still run it.

O.city
09-09-2012, 08:27 PM
In the end, you have to rush the passer in the NFL to win. Be it with 4, 3, 6 guys etc. you have to get pressure.

This scheme basically sets up the OLB's to bring pressure. Thats the whole idea of the defense. The Falcons could chip and put the TE out on Houston today as Studebaker was getting swallowed up continuously.

It's for this reason many of us were wanting a pass rusher in the draft this year. Poe actually played pretty well today all things considered, as he did get some push a few times and played the run fairly well. However, Ryan was able to move back or sideways as Studebaker and Houston couldn't get there.

chiefzilla1501
09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
In the end, you have to rush the passer in the NFL to win. Be it with 4, 3, 6 guys etc. you have to get pressure.

This scheme basically sets up the OLB's to bring pressure. Thats the whole idea of the defense. The Falcons could chip and put the TE out on Houston today as Studebaker was getting swallowed up continuously.

It's for this reason many of us were wanting a pass rusher in the draft this year. Poe actually played pretty well today all things considered, as he did get some push a few times and played the run fairly well. However, Ryan was able to move back or sideways as Studebaker and Houston couldn't get there.

Yup, the advantage of the zone blitz is that you can get pressure from all kinds of defenders. In a 2-gap, your linemen are mostly there to occupy gaps.

I don't have that big of a problem with the defense. When you have talent, it's very effective and I think the Chiefs are well positioned for that once Hali comes back. But it's definitely a very different defense than most. The more popular 3-4 is the 1-gap, which teams like the Cowboys run.

O.city
09-09-2012, 08:33 PM
No Tamba, Flowers just kill you against a team like the Falcons.

With Tamba, you don't have to blitz as often and with Flowers you can be a little more aggressive and not be afraid to leave guys on an island from time to time.

Add in that your centerfielder is missing and a cog in the sub pass rush, it's gonna be a tough day.

OnTheWarpath58
09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Blame the scheme.
Blame the players.

I'm confused.

I've been told this is a Super Bowl Winning Roster, if only we had a QB.

O.city
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
If they play up to their potential, this defense could be very good.

jspchief
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't have that big of a problem with the defense. When you have talent, it's very effective and I think the Chiefs are well positioned for that once Hali comes back. But it's definitely a very different defense than most. The more popular 3-4 is the 1-gap, which teams like the Cowboys run.
This is such a crock of shit. When you have talent? How many god damn first round picks does the scheme require? 1 guy gets suspended, injured, or shut down and it renders the entire pass rush useless?

This scheme is a joke.

O.city
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Like Js is saying, I kinda feel that with the league being such a passing league, this type of defense is outdated.

Reerun_KC
09-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Agree. A defense that continues to ingore the middle of the field in a passing league is stupid and outdated. I for one will be counting down the days until crennel is Gonzo.

Psyko Tek
09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
This is such a crock of shit. When you have talent? How many god damn first round picks does the scheme require? 1 guy gets suspended, injured, or shut down and it renders the entire pass rush useless?

This scheme is a joke.

gonna have to agree with this, lose one lb, one safety, and one cb, and the line can't do shit?

-King-
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm confused.

I've been told this is a Super Bowl Winning Roster, if only we had a QB.

That Hamas Jenkins is such a jackass. Never believe anything he says. Dane either.
Posted via Mobile Device

HoneyBadger
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
The difference is they have won playoff games, ours hasn't.

Sorter
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
The Steelers play a 1-gap style of the 34 defense. We play the 2 gap.

They specifically utilize a fire zone-blitz to get the majority of their pressure, which comes from Dick Labeau.

jspchief
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
The Steelers play a 1-gap style of the 34 defense. We play the 2 gap.

They specifically utilize a fire zone-blitz to get the majority of their pressure, which comes from Dick Labeau.Why do that when you can have your top 5 draft pick dlineman stand around with their thumb up their ass while Matt Ryan dissects your secondary?

Sorter
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Hey man, at least they can play the run against two different gaps!!!!:)

saphojunkie
09-10-2012, 12:42 AM
This defense is the key to the Patriots' success. So much do that they now run a 4-3.

I don't understand running a defense that requires your first round pick to relearn everything for two years before he can be effective.

I'm trying real hard to not be doom and gloom, but...

Sorter
09-10-2012, 12:54 AM
http://headblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Tom-Brady.jpg is the key to the Patriots' success.

Fixed

chiefzilla1501
09-10-2012, 06:48 AM

This scheme is a joke.

The scheme wasn't a joke last year. We are missing 4 starters on a defensive roster that isn't deep, so we ended up starting third stringers, essentially. We had a completely unprepared rookie playing the most important position on the field. We had our most crucial player and key to our pass rush out from a suspension. Not to mention that atlantas offense is going to be pretty good.

Relax. The defense is fine when it has its parts. Losing 4 guys and having to start a raw rookie at nose tackle is going to lead to some long days.