PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Were you happy to see TG dunk the ball for the last time at Arrowhead?

Von Dumbass
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Because Matt Ryan thinks you were.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/tony-gonzalez-gets-booed-after-a-dunk-for-first-time-in-kc/

Tony Gonzalez gets booed after a dunk for first time in KC

After spending 12 years in Kansas City, Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez didn’t want to offend his old friends.

But after catching a touchdown Sunday, he let Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan talk him into a reprise of his old celebration.

“Honestly, I wasn’t going to dunk it,” Gonzalez said, via Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star. “The ball went flying out of there, and Matt comes up to me and puts it my chest, and said, ‘Go dunk that ball!’ So I went up there and dunked it.”

The veteran tight end had punctuated most of his first 95 career touchdowns that way, a nod to his background as a basketball player. But this was the first time he did it in KC in a non-Chiefs uniform, and that changed the way the locals viewed him after an initial warm greeting.

“I heard the boos,” Gonzalez said. “But I want all the fans to know, it wasn’t a disrespectful thing, it was just something, . . . that’s me, this is where I made my bones coming up in this league, and definitely I wanted to be true to myself and go up there and dunk it.”

For his part, Ryan didn’t mind calling the shot.

“It was a great moment, not only for him personally, but for Kansas City fans, too,” Ryan said. “He is such a great part of this organization, probably the greatest tight end to have ever played the game. I think deep down in their hearts, Kansas City fans probably loved seeing that one more time, and it was just fun to be a part of it.”

Fun when you score 40, maybe. When your team’s getting manhandled, maybe not so much.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I didn't like it. However, I really didn't like how the Chief's website did a story about it and put it on the front page. I'm not cool with that.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Don't fucking care.

Maybe they shouldn't have let him score a TD, that's a novel thought...

BoneKrusher
09-10-2012, 09:07 AM
ii didn't have a problem with it because f the Chiefs defense let the TD catch happen.

my problem is more with the Defense.

BigMeatballDave
09-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Fuck off, troll.

Go suck on grandma's colostomy bag.

Luke Warm
09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
ii didn't have a problem with it because f the Chiefs defense let the TD catch happen.

my problem is more with the Defense.

This.

Flachief58
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Go fuck your grandmother up the ass you fucking tard

lcarus
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I didn't like it at all. Fuck that traitor fuck. I hope he enjoys playing for another regular season juggernaut that goes 13-3 or 14-2 and chokes their asses off in the playoffs at home. Just like we used to do. I hope you enjoy that Tony! You traitor fuck!

KILLER_CLOWN
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
About as happy as I am to see this never should have been thread.

LiL stumppy
09-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I didnt care. Its what he does.

3rd&48ers
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
That's his signature move, why wouldn't he?

Old Dog
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Would have prefered he hadn't scored a TD, but since he did, dunk away

Deberg_1990
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Its basically like the when Neil Smith used to come back to KC and still do his HR swing thing. Its classless, basically done to slap the face of fans who supported you for so many years…..but I just don’t give a sh*t enough to get in an uproar about it.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 09:41 AM
If they don't want him to dunk, keep him out of the endzone. I'm disappointed the fans didn't pelt him with some raw burgers; damn PETA rep.

KCrockaholic
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
We let him score. He can do whatever he wants from there.

I didn't really care. I thought it was funny actually.

Derrick Johnson was beat on the play.

Dayze
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
We let him score. He can do whatever he wants from there.

I didn't really care. I thought it was funny actually.

Derrick Johnson was beat on the play.

this

Iowanian
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I thought he was a good Chief and he deserved the ovation pregame.

I thought that dunking in Arrowhead as a Falcon was disrespectful and he deserved the fan disapproval of that.

I'd have respected him a lot more if he'd have just taken a knee or shown a sign of respect to the fans.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
There should have been an army of middle fingers given to TG after the dunk (similar to KC scoring in the black hole last year). Some people seemed to be cheering him on. Arrowhead has gone soft.

Molitoth
09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I was completely fine with it. That is his trademark no matter what team he is with.
Can any chiefs fan honestly argue Tony's point on wanting out of this shithole of a franchise? Especially at the given time which was a complete rebuild year....

Deberg_1990
09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
I thought that dunking in Arrowhead as a Falcon was disrespectful and he deserved the fan disapproval of that.

He obviously knew full well that it would be perceived as disrespectful because in the quote he said he didn’t want to do it originally.

Demonpenz
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I liked it because it slammed dunk home the suckiness of the franchise. I tweeted earlier in the day that it was going to happen, and he wasn't even that open. It makes me think that the falcons had the idea like "Well Julio Jones is going to be wide open, but we are going to get Tony G his TD because they suck" I don't really have a problem with Tony in general. I have seen him scrape and drag guys for extra yards when they team sucked. I don't think he has ever dogged it. Congrats on the hall of fame career and a dunky style that can be described as "Forward and A" if you were playing bulls vs. blazers.

HemiEd
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I was kind of on the fence about it, the D shouldn't have let him score and then it wouldn't have been an issue. But I didn't like it of course.

It was very funny , when Vernon Davis tried it yesterday, and doinked it. Hilarious, must be tougher than Tony has made it look over the years.

Frazod
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
No. And fuck him.

And fuck you, too.

Phobia
09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I didn't like it but I'm okay with him doing it because that's what he does. Don't want the guy to dunk? Don't let him catch a pass in the endzone. It wasn't about disrespect. I felt about the same way as I do when any pass reception results in an opponent TD and the impending celebration.

mikey23545
09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Didn't care that much, and I also don't care if the cocksucker dies in a flaming car wreck tonight.

Nzoner
09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
No. And **** him.

Agreed

royr17
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
It didnt really bother me, thats Tonys trademark to dunk it over the goal post after he scores. I dont blame Tony for wanting to go somewhere that he has a chance to win a championship, the man endured alot of losing seasons here in his career but gave his all.

stevieray
09-10-2012, 10:05 AM
cmon now, did anyone REALLY think he wouldn't do it if he scored? don't be naive.

..this is a business disguised by a game ...if you are looking for some kind of loyalty or sentimental BS, you're setting yourself up to be let down.

Bump
09-10-2012, 10:07 AM
didn't bother me. Tony G is going into the Hall as a Chief. It does suck watching him dunk in Arrowhead with a different uniform though, but I get it, it's what he does and like others have said, we should have kept him out of the endzone but we couldn't keep anybody out of the endzone.

royr17
09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I didn't like it but I'm okay with him doing it because that's what he does. Don't want the guy to dunk? Don't let him catch a pass in the endzone. It wasn't about disrespect. I felt about the same way as I do when any pass reception results in an opponent TD and the impending celebration.

Agreed. Thats just Tony G.

KCrockaholic
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Tony was all teary eyed in his locker room after the game talking about it actually. I found that interesting.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2012, 10:11 AM
That was not awesome. That made me sick.

Steron
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I was pissed he scored. Pissed the same way I am when anyone does against KC.

Then, he didn't dunk the ball over the goal post. I was happy about that.

When he did, and I was pissed. Screw you Matt Ryan.

Then I realized, in the grand scheme of life this was pretty meaningless.

So I guess my overall reaction was meh. It is what it is.

Rausch
09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
That was not awesome. That made me sick.

This.

I wanted him to leave with a sour taste.

The one thing I am happy about is that we didn't have any jerk-ass fan dump beer or throw $#it at him from what I could see...

Frazod
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Tony was all teary eyed in his locker room after the game talking about it actually. I found that interesting.

Perhaps he's been taking acting lessons during the offseason - crying on cue is hard to do.

There's only one person that Tony cares about in KC - and that's Tony, when he happens to be in KC.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
This.

I wanted him to leave with a sour taste.

The one thing I am happy about is that we didn't have any jerk-ass fan dump beer or throw $#it at him from what I could see...

After all the autographs he turned down over the years in KC and the way he shrugged off many fans for years, a humbling Miller Lite shower is justified.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Perhaps he's been taking acting lessons during the offseason - crying on cue is hard to do.

There's only one person that Tony cares about in KC - and that's Tony, when he happens to be in KC.
i tend to agree, it looked forced to me.

A player is SUPPOSED to be sad and be nostalgic about his old team when he's about to retire etc.

So tony ACTED the part

could be wrong but it didn't seem real to me

Rain Man
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Wrong uniform. Didn't like it.

WV
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Don't ****ing care.

Maybe they shouldn't have let him score a TD, that's a novel thought...

This X1000

Nzoner
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
After all the autographs he turned down over the years in KC and the way he shrugged off many fans for years, a humbling golden shower is justified.

FYP :D

ct
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I had no issue w/ the dunk, just the crappy D we played all game, and that pathetic 2nd half for the offense.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Knowmo, kindly go fuck yourself dude.

HoneyBadger
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I didn't like it at all. **** that traitor ****. I hope he enjoys playing for another regular season juggernaut that goes 13-3 or 14-2 and chokes their asses off in the playoffs at home. Just like we used to do. I hope you enjoy that Tony! You traitor ****!

Did you forget to take your xanax this morning?

memyselfI
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Hell yeah, I saw it as him having his last dance at the place that made him. I would have been pissed if he did not do it. It is his trademark. The butt hurt low sense of self fans who booed him were an embarrassment Cheer for greatness when you see it. Because in this town we see it so rarely.

HoneyBadger
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Hell yeah, I aaw it as hiin having hus last hoorah at the place that made him. I would have bwwn pissed if he did not doit. it is gis trademark. The butt hirt low sense of selffanswhobooed him were an embarrassment Cheer for grarness whenyouvsee it.Becauseinthis town we see it so rarely.

Wait, wut?

memyselfI
09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Wait, wut?

Sorry, hit send on my cell phone by accident. LMAOLMAOLMAO Trying to text in the blinding sun on my phone is not good. It's fixed now.

Raiderhader
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
The fact that he actually wasn't going to do it, and even threw the ball away, as a sign of respect made it easier to watch. Team mates hand you the ball and encourage you to do what you have always done it is kind of hard to resist. So I can deal with it. And as others have said, you don't want to see it, don't let him score in the first place.

Raiderhader
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Hell yeah, I saw it as him having his last dance at the place that made him. I would have been pissed if he did not do it. It is his trademark. The butt hurt low sense of self fans who booed him were an embarrassment Cheer for greatness when you see it. Because in this town we see it so rarely.

Says the traitor fan....

Fishpicker
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I didn't like it. I did like hearing the boos though.

memyselfI
09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Says the traitor fan....

Oh darn, I applaud a future hall of famer and one of the greatest players of all time. Did you hear the reception he got at the start of the game? It was LOUDER THAN ANY CHIEFS PLAYER.

boogblaster
09-10-2012, 12:34 PM
not really .. but hope if or when he goes to the hall its as a Chief .....

LVNHACK
09-10-2012, 12:36 PM

This.....

Molitoth
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
It's kinda lame how everyone is all pissed off about it, yet if he chose to go into the HOF as a Falcon, most Chief fans would be livid.

The NFL is a business and Tony G wanted to play for a different franchise that didn't SUCK.
How any of you can not side with that is beyond me.

Was Tony someone of a dick to the fans by not signing autographs/etc.... ? Maybe, but you will still want him in the HOF as a Chief.

Munson
09-10-2012, 01:21 PM
You forgot the "meh" option.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Lol Matt Ryan is full of shit and is a dick. He didn't want Gonzo to do his dunk "for the fans" and that "they would love it." What dumbass fan would love their former great player taunting his old team? Because that's exactly what it was. Ryan wanted him to do it to rub it in our faces. He's an idiot if he thinks even the media would buy that.

Ben N 58men
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Lol @ this poll

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Because Matt Ryan thinks you were.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/tony-gonzalez-gets-booed-after-a-dunk-for-first-time-in-kc/

Tony Gonzalez gets booed after a dunk for first time in KC

After spending 12 years in Kansas City, Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez didn’t want to offend his old friends.

But after catching a touchdown Sunday, he let Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan talk him into a reprise of his old celebration.

“Honestly, I wasn’t going to dunk it,” Gonzalez said, via Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star. “The ball went flying out of there, and Matt comes up to me and puts it my chest, and said, ‘Go dunk that ball!’ So I went up there and dunked it.”

The veteran tight end had punctuated most of his first 95 career touchdowns that way, a nod to his background as a basketball player. But this was the first time he did it in KC in a non-Chiefs uniform, and that changed the way the locals viewed him after an initial warm greeting.

“I heard the boos,” Gonzalez said. “But I want all the fans to know, it wasn’t a disrespectful thing, it was just something, . . . that’s me, this is where I made my bones coming up in this league, and definitely I wanted to be true to myself and go up there and dunk it.”

For his part, Ryan didn’t mind calling the shot.

“It was a great moment, not only for him personally, but for Kansas City fans, too,” Ryan said. “He is such a great part of this organization, probably the greatest tight end to have ever played the game. I think deep down in their hearts, Kansas City fans probably loved seeing that one more time, and it was just fun to be a part of it.”

Fun when you score 40, maybe. When your team’s getting manhandled, maybe not so much.

this part just got to me, ya know? Anyone got a tissue?

Frazod
09-10-2012, 01:45 PM
It's kinda lame how everyone is all pissed off about it, yet if he chose to go into the HOF as a Falcon, most Chief fans would be livid.

The NFL is a business and Tony G wanted to play for a different franchise that didn't SUCK.
How any of you can not side with that is beyond me.

Was Tony someone of a dick to the fans by not signing autographs/etc.... ? Maybe, but you will still want him in the HOF as a Chief.

He can go in as a fucking Jayhawk for all I care.

TRR
09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I have zero respect for Tony Gonzalez. From what I have seen of him in person, he was always an asshole to the fans in my many years of going to training camp, and asked out of KC multiple times. As a fan of the Chiefs, I have no idea how anyone could still root for the guy. I know there are people on here that will say "good for him...glad he got out of this disaster that is Chiefs football." I just don't understand that logic. I don't root for players. I root for the Chiefs. Anyone that doesn't want to be a Chief can go jump off a bridge. Especially Tony Gonzalez and his fake act.

HemiEd
09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
He can go in as a ****ing Jayhawk for all I care.

You mad bro?

Oh and fuck TG, he is gone.

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
What I would like to have seen was Tony dunking Ryan over the cross bar

Chiefnj2
Maybe, but you will still want him in the HOF as a Chief.

And not a crap was given. I care about KC winning a championship. I don't get the fan fascination with the HOF.

Count Zarth
Yes.

Thank you for fucking our shit.

NJChiefsFan
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I wasn't pissed, but I wasn't a fan of it. To me doing it or not doing it was about Tony and the fans. I would have really liked it if he started to and just pointed the ball at the fans instead or something like that. I didn't lose sleep over it though.

chefsos
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Didn't matter to me if he did it or not. The six points were on the board already and no style points were there to be had. Doing his thing after scoring isn't disrespectful as opposed to, say, getting up and acting like a douchebag asshole after a first down.