PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Daboll Didn't Make Adjustments

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I've seen a lot of people making that claim this morning, but I don't see any evidence to support the claim.

Drive 1: KC got the ball to start the 2nd half and moved it from their 20 to Atlanta's 22 before a missed FG. They moved the ball and had a chance to put points on the board.

Drive 2: Albert whiff and Cassel sack fumble. No real chance to get a drive going before the turnover.

Drive 3: KC converts a 3rd and 14. Tipped ball by Moeaki leads to an INT. Not Dabolls fault.

Drive 4: Cassel's horrible INT on 3rd and 1. Probably should have been a run. Perhaps poor playcalling by Daboll.

Drive 5: KC starts at their own 10 and then has a 15 yard offensive facemask penalty that makes it 2nd an 22.

Drive 6: TD.

IMHO, Daboll engineered 2 decent drives (even if 1 was "garbage time"). 3 drives ended prematurely with turnovers before you could tell if Daboll made adjustments or not, and 1 drive just had a bad penalty and field position.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Who said Daboll didn't adjust?

Hell, why did he NEED to adjust?

That was the best half of offensive football since the day Pioli arrived FFS...

LiL stumppy
09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Why would he? Why adjust something thats working? We lost because we couldnt cover their wr's. And cassel did his usual thing in the second. Simple.

lcarus
09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm not blaming the offense at all for this loss. When you can't stop the opponent defensively ONE TIME all day, that's clearly the problem. I'm just gonna sum that up to injuries and Hali's suspension. That's really the only explanation for how our defense could go to utter shit when last year they were really good.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
The first drive in the second half is rehearsed and game planned in practice so you can't count that one.

It has nothing to do with Cassel's play or the passing plays imo. It has to do with how Nolan started stopping the run. He stopped it cold in the second half. Charles really couldn't get outside like he did in the first half.

LiL stumppy
09-10-2012, 09:28 AM
The first drive in the second half is rehearsed and game planned in practice so you can't count that one.

It has nothing to do with Cassel's play or the passing plays imo. It has to do with how Nolan started stopping the run. He stopped it cold in the second half. Charles really couldn't get outside like he did in the first half.

This is correct, and when they stop the run you need a qb who can put the team on his shoulders, and win. And we saw what casshole did when he has to do that.

mr. tegu
09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I was frustrated by them continually trying to run the ball right up the middle in the second half. It stopped working but they kept doing it and putting the offense in second/third and longs.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
the fact they people are talking about the offense just shows how gawd dam stupid it's become around here.

Defense allowed a score ON EVERY POSSESSION until kneel down time with 4 minutes left. EVERY DAM POSSESSION.

Idiots

Hog Farmer
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM

Because the Falcons make defensive adjustments. They came out to stop the run. We should have countered.

Hog Farmer
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
the fact they people are talking about the offense just shows how gawd dam stupid it's become around here.

Defense allowed a score ON EVERY POSSESSION until kneel down time with 4 minutes left. EVERY DAM POSSESSION.

Idiots

So did Atlantas Defense until they made adjustments at half time.

Rain Man
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM

Idiots

That is indeed the problem.

The other problem is that the kick return unit never really gives the offense any advantage. Our kick and punt return units have been terrible for a couple of years now, and it's not the returner's fault. It's terrible blocking.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Seems to me the middle of that OL got pummeled every play after the INT/TD. Winston/Albert played okay, but that interior OL sucks balls. They didn't block worth shit.

Is that the scheme? No.

Molitoth
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Daboll did a fantastic job imo. There were a couple of times that I could easily predict the playcall, but NOTHING like the past couple years.

KCrockaholic
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
One thing I noticed is we run a lot of pulling guards in our 3 wide formation. It works with Charles fairly well. But I didn't see nearly as many 2 TE sets as I was hoping for. We ran 3 wide almost the whole game.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Eachus at FB was really really bad. It was a big mistake keeping him if that's the role they have planned for him. He should be on the practice squad or just gone all together imo. It's great that he played hard but he got his ass kicked out there. We let Gordon go so we could keep Eachus? Really?

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Seems to me the middle of that OL got pummeled every play after the INT/TD. Winston/Albert played okay, but that interior OL sucks balls. They didn't block worth shit.

Is that the scheme? No.

LILJA.... He's the biggest problem on the line and he has been since moving to LG.

Daboll did a fantastic job imo. There were a couple of times that I could easily predict the playcall, but NOTHING like the past couple years.

Nolan figured out what he was doing with the running game but it was light years better than Haley. Cassel was alot better in that offense.

KCrockaholic
09-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Eachus at FB was really really bad. It was a big mistake keeping him if that's the role they have planned for him. He should be on the practice squad or just gone all together imo. It's great that he played hard but he got his ass kicked out there. We let Gordon go so we could keep Eachus? Really?

Eachus is a waste of a roster spot. Complete waste. He offers little to no help regardless of where he's at. He's a horrible fullback. And a very overrated runningback.

Dartgod
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM

What? :spock:

Did you get hit in the head repeatedly with a baseball bat when you were a child?

HemiEd
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Eachus is a waste of a roster spot. Complete waste. He offers little to no help regardless of where he's at. He's a horrible fullback. And a very overrated runningback.

But, but, but he got almost a 100 yards at garbage time in the preseason game.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
he did a pretty good job until the 2nd half when Atlanta started stacking the LOS on 1st down, anticipating a run.

we should of had a run/pass called each time and let Cassel choose to deal with that.

but after a possession or 2 he adjusted ... too slow, but he adjusted.

it just so happens that that 2 crucial turnovers happened during that same time.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
One thing I noticed is we run a lot of pulling guards in our 3 wide formation. It works with Charles fairly well. But I didn't see nearly as many 2 TE sets as I was hoping for. We ran 3 wide almost the whole game.

Good post. Well, they were matching speed with speed imo. I guess they could have tried going back to the 2TE formations they ran so often during pre season, but I don't think it would have been the key to this since they were okay blocking the ends.

They did actually make adjustments when they trotted Eachus out to try and help the inside blocking. It just did not work.

I been saying Hudson is going to need time this season, yesterday kind of illustrated my point.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Is that the scheme? No.

The interior of the offensive line was flat great in the 1st half. Asamoah especially.

There were a couple of miscues with penalties and then the blown block that resulted in a fumble. Can't play from behind the chains - 1st and 20 equals 3 and out.

Cassel had ALL DAY to throw in the 1st half.

Reerun_KC
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
The interior of the offensive line was flat great in the 1st half. Asamoah especially.

There were a couple of miscues with penalties and then the blown block that resulted in a fumble. Can't play from behind the chains - 1st and 20 equals 3 and out.

Which is wonderful... 2nd half not so much..

Rausch
09-10-2012, 10:24 AM

The one thing I don't get was when Hillis was in there the guy had almost no blocking. I couldn't tell if they just saw him and run blitzed every time or we just didn't block for him.

Either way it seemed like Charles had some holes to work with but Hillis was hitting a wall at the line...

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Which is wonderful... 2nd half not so much..

There wasn't all that much pressure in the 2nd half either. We ran some plays that took way too long to develop but other than the Albert big whiff fumble, the offensive line didn't do bad.

The Atlanta defense adjusted to our running game and we just didn't handle it.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
The one thing I don't get was when Hillis was in there the guy had almost no blocking. I couldn't tell if they just saw him and run blitzed every time or we just didn't block for him.

Either way it seemed like Charles had some holes to work with but Hillis was hitting a wall at the line...

Hillis was awful yesterday, especially in pass protection. Awful...

Ace Gunner
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
LILJA.... He's the biggest problem on the line and he has been since moving to LG.

True, mugs, but the other two weren't much better. Asamoah had some real whiffs in that game and Hudson got plowed into the QB during several plays.

Nolan figured out what he was doing with the running game but it was light years better than Haley. Cassel was alot better in that offense.

Same offense, some new twists but same offense. Cassel looks decent with blocking and I agree he played perhaps his best yesterday, but when he can't step up in the pocket he is inneffective.

Rausch
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Idiots

Was it just me or did it seem like we didn't blitz as much the 2nd half because we wanted to protect our torched secondary?

The way the refs weren't calling much and were "just letting them play" I would have preferred to blitz the $3it outta' Ryan and give him less time to pick apart a weak secondary...

KCrockaholic
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
But, but, but he got almost a 100 yards at garbage time in the preseason game.

Too many fans cling to any sign of hope they see.

"Ohh blood on him arm, he must be trying hard. I like this Eachus kid."

It's bullshit. The guy has no business being on a 53 man roster unless he can tackle on special teams. And I don't think he can do that either.

Ace Gunner
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM

True, but that was only half true:D

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Was it just me or did it seem like we didn't blitz as much the 2nd half because we wanted to protect our torched secondary?

The way the refs weren't calling much and were "just letting them play" I would have preferred to blitz the $3it outta' Ryan and give him less time to pick apart a weak secondary...

Ryan didn't have a really big pass play all day. I think his long was 39.

With this team, Hali out, and all the injuries, they picked their poison and drank it.

If we would have blitzed him, they might have scored in 4 plays every time instead of 10.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
True, mugs, but the other two weren't much better. Asamoah had some real whiffs in that game and Hudson got plowed into the QB during several plays.

Wow.

We watched 2 different games.

Or we had 2 different sets of expectations.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Just one comment on the OL and running game in the first half - they didn't start off well. First drive they had 4 rushes for 8 yards. 2nd drive started off with a negative run. I hate to say it, but the pass may have opened up things a bit for the run game.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
With this team, Hali out, and all the injuries, they picked their poison and drank it.

Houston and Sheffield disappointed. Those guys rushed the passer in college but don't appear to be able to get it done at all (Sheffield) or are extremely inconsistent (Houston).

Mr. Laz

Crennel just isn't a blitzing guy of guy.

When things get tough he almost always goes back to bend, don't break style and hopes the offense makes a mistake.

Defense didn't make a big play all day long

biggest play was the Poe tackle for a 1 yrd loss

htismaqe
Just one comment on the OL and running game in the first half - they didn't start off well. First drive they had 4 rushes for 8 yards. 2nd drive started off with a negative run. I hate to say it, but the pass may have opened up things a bit for the run game.

Why do you hate to say it? Because you know it will get you blasted here? :D

The offensive line is NEVER going to look good when the other team knows exactly what you're going to do...

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
The offensive line is NEVER going to look good when the other team knows exactly what you're going to do...

Usually, but not NEVER. Vermeil's offense was predictable as hell. We all knew Holmes was getting a pitch to the left and nobody could stop it.

htismaqe
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Usually, but not NEVER. Vermeil's offense was predictable as hell. We all knew Holmes was getting a pitch to the left and nobody could stop it.

Sure, but that's where expectations come in.

To expect this offensive line, or ANY offensive line for that matter, to perform like one that had 2 HoFers, 1 potential HoF, AND one of the best centers to play in the last decade is borderline lunacy.

That's like expecting to recreate the Patriot Way without Tom Brady...

BWillie
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Idiots

Completely agree. Not sure what the offense did so bad out there. I really consider it 27 points the offense scored as well because Suckup should make that FG 9 out of 10 times. And down by 3 TD's in the end of 3rd quarter obviously the offense is going to take more risks and shots, which in this game led to turnovers. I don't mind turnovers in those scenarios as long as you are trying to score.

Bob Dole
09-10-2012, 11:18 AM
It was kind of entertaining to experience a flashback to 2003 for the first 30 minutes. Then Bob Dole realized that Trent Green is in a studio somewhere, and this isn't the playoffs.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Houston and Sheffield disappointed. Those guys rushed the passer in college but don't appear to be able to get it done at all (Sheffield) or are extremely inconsistent (Houston).

Houston has six sacks in his last six games. He did well imo.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Ryan didn't have a really big pass play all day. I think his long was 39.

If we would have blitzed him, they might have scored in 4 plays every time instead of 10.

I agree. I expected us to run the clock a little more but that's about it. In the past, Atlanta hasn't been good on the road when Turner puts up less than 100 yards. I understand the thinking on trying to stop the run. I get the feeling that Atlanta is taking the next step.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Houston has six sacks in his last six games. He did well imo.

1 really good game against Caleb Hanie. He didn't step up yesterday.

Rausch
09-10-2012, 11:33 AM

He's started 17 games. Give him some time...

BossChief
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM

A couple pressures and a sack against an all pro right tackle is a good performance IMO.

Tribal Warfare
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
A couple pressures and a sack against an all pro right tackle is a good performance IMO.

yep, if he keeps that up he''ll have a 12 sacks or more stat line.

BoneKrusher
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
he went the wrong way with halftime adjustments.

keg in kc
09-10-2012, 01:14 PM
My only problem was with playcalling in a few situations, they seemed to want to be a little too cute a few times and it burned us, and we seem to always want to run on 1st down.

I know the wheels came off for a time in the 2nd half, but at the end of the day they scored 24 points, with a missed field goal, and for 75% of the game Cassel looked better than I think I've ever seen him play before. Which to me makes Daboll some kind of freaking miracle worker. And this was just the first game.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 01:16 PM

this. Pretty sure it was Crennel's defense that needed to adjust.

WhiteWhale
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm just gonna say it...

Anyone who expected our defense to stop or even slow down Atlanta's passing attack with the best 1-2 WR punch in the game and a HOF TE without the heart and soul of our defense, who also happens to be a pass rusher, and our top cover man is a ****ing IDIOT.

This game was going to be a shoot-out. The team who makes the most mistakes will lose. KC missed a FG, fumbled, threw an INT, then threw another INT.

4 consecutive mistakes. The defense wasn't going to stop that team with those match-up advantages. Any expectation that they would with Studebaker and Reeves replacing two top tier players is really naive. It's disappointing we've invested so little in guys who can rush the QB since Pioli arrived (only Houston really), but we have who we have.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm just gonna say it...

Anyone who expected our defense to stop or even slow down Atlanta's passing attack with the best 1-2 WR punch in the game and a HOF TE without the heart and soul of our defense, who also happens to be a pass rusher, and our top cover man is a ****ing IDIOT.

This game was going to be a shoot-out. The team who makes the most mistakes will lose. KC missed a FG, fumbled, threw an INT, then threw another INT.

4 consecutive mistakes. The defense wasn't going to stop that team with those match-up advantages. Any expectation that they would with Studebaker and Reeves replacing two top tier players is really naive. It's disappointing we've invested so little in guys who can rush the QB since Pioli arrived (only Houston really), but we have who we have.
well then our defense isn't even close to good enough

WhiteWhale
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
well then our defense isn't even close to good enough

It can be good at 100%, but we're too paper thin at the most vital role of a defense (pass rusher) to handle injuries or any situation where they're not there. Do we expect the offense to be just as good without Jamaal Charles? I'd think last season would have taught us that lesson.

It's the way Pioli has done it. He's invested entirely into run stuffers, and drafted ONE pass rusher. Two if you count Sheffield, but I don't.

We replaced Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers with Andy Studebaker and Jacque Reeves... or something. I really don't care how to spell his name. I just know that both guys pretty much suck in any scheme you have.

I'm more worried about how mentally weak this team seems to be. They just fall apart as soon as things get tough in a game.

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
It can be good at 100%, but we're too paper thin at the most vital role of a defense (pass rusher) to handle injuries or any situation where they're not there. Do we expect the offense to be just as good without Jamaal Charles? I'd think last season would have taught us that lesson.

It's the way Pioli has done it. He's invested entirely into run stuffers, and drafted ONE pass rusher. Two if you count Sheffield, but I don't.

We replaced Tamba Hali and Brandon Flowers with Andy Studebaker and Jacque Reeves... or something. I really don't care how to spell his name. I just know that both guys pretty much suck in any scheme you have.

I'm more worried about how mentally weak this team seems to be. They just fall apart as soon as things get tough in a game.
no, it means that we only have one way to play to be good and that means that a good team will exploit it.

The defense looks soft

ChiefsCountry
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM

He a fucking sack what more do you want.

Count Zarth
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
A coach from the Patriot Way who sucks?

Say it ain't so.

Count Zarth
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Drive 2: Albert whiff and Cassel sack fumble. No real chance to get a drive going before the turnover.

We ran on first down, and then we drew up a short pass that Cassel executed horribly on second down.

It was Hermesque.

I'm going to go look at the play by play and count run/pass ratio on first down.

I bet it's Hermesque.

That whole gameplan yesterday reminded me of Herm.

Count Zarth
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Run
Pass
Pass
Pass

Run
Run
Run

Run
Run
Run
Run

Run
Run
Run
Run

Run

Pass
Run

Run

Run

At that point we were down 23 and started throwing every down for the most part.

So, during the competitive (somewhat) portion of the game on first down:

16 runs, 4 passes.

And this was in a game we knew would be a shootout.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1x1mvb2W23Q/SYHo850oINI/AAAAAAAAAh8/MOulOR4ng1U/s400/edwards.jpg

Chiefnj2
09-10-2012, 04:41 PM
That whole gameplan yesterday reminded me of Herm.

Except for the fact that they moved the ball the entire first half and first drive of the 2nd half, and put points on the board.

KC Tattoo
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
We tried to get cute with a flea flicker play. We tried that in preseason during our vanilla opps operation and failed, not surprised it failed yesterday. Sure it would have been a cool play if it worked but it didn't again fail. Since they tried it in preseason it was a predictable play and well defended.

Count Zarth
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Except for the fact that they moved the ball the entire first half and first drive of the 2nd half, and put points on the board.

Herm's Chiefs offenses had a few good games, too.

This offense has a lot more talent, too, so of course it's gonna score some points.

But there's a lot of Herm in that gameplan yesterday. Deepest pass we threw was about 22-23 yards.

Another thing that game had in common with Herm offense: being completely shut the fuck down in the second half, and then racking up a garbage time score AFTER A TIMEOUT.