PDA

View Full Version : Music Rush VS. Pink Floyd Vs. Queensryche

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Who ya got? Whos your "Go To" band when you need a Prog Rock fix?

mcaj22
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
slappppppppppppppppppppppppin da bass man

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
WTF?

One of these bands is not like the other.

Pink Floyd is in it a different class from the other bands...

KCUnited
09-12-2012, 09:17 AM
I'll have to mullet over and then decide.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Not according to this list

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistsprog.html

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Not according to this list

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artistsprog.html

OK, when Pink Floyd is FIFTH on a list that goes, 1-4:

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

You wanna talk 70's prog rock? Great, let's talk about Rush and Yes, ELP and Kansas.

Leave Floyd out of it. It's insulting to them to put them on such a list.

On a similarly funny side note, check out #26. :D

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJf5ZbumlgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

You wanna talk 70's prog rock? Great, let's talk about Rush and Yes, ELP and Kansas.

heh.....oh....I found another list. I guess Rolling Stone readers made this and voted Floyd and Rush #1 and #2 for Prog Rock bands. Take it for what its worth.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/top_10_prog_rock_bands_of_all_time.html?no_takeover

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

agreed. and of that list, Yes & ELP are tops for me.

HemiEd

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

This

Ace Gunner
the floyd is "space rock" imo.

listopencil
If Pink Floyd is Prog, then they are the best Prog band of all time.

cosmo20002
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM

So Prog Rock = a theme/concept often running through the album, too many keyboards, and perhaps a flute makes an appearance

Rush is probably the best of this mostly-forgettable genre.
I don't really think of Pink Floyd as Prog, but I suppose they are kinda sorta on the edge of it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM

Of those 3 my answer would be Pink Floyd...... but my choice would be Alan Parsons Project.

BoneKrusher
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
RUSH works for me altho i like Floyd a lot as well.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I think a lot of people forget that Pink Floyd was really 2 bands, 2 really different bands.

Their sound in the late 60's with Syd was very different from how they evolved with Waters in charge and Gilmour playing guitar.

MOhillbilly
Floyd

cosmo20002
WTF?

The Beatles are #52. Many things wrong with that.

BoneKrusher
09-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Their sound in the late 60's with Syd was very different from how they evolved with Waters in charge and Gilmour playing guitar.

one of my Fav songs from the 60's version of Floyd is See Emily Play.

Lzen
09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
My go to prog rock band would be Dream Theater. But I like those other bands, as well. Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

On a related note, I believe Geoffe (sp?) Tate was kicked out of Queensryche recently. I haven't really listened to them much in recent years. They were at their peak when they released Operation Mindcrime. Also loved Rage For Order and The Warning.

Lzen
09-12-2012, 09:35 AM
The Beatles are #52. Many things wrong with that.

WTH? :shake:

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
one of my Fav songs from the 60's version of Floyd is See Emily Play.

I picked up the European-only release of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" while living in Germany. It's a solid album from front to back and is actually my favorite Pink Floyd album. I'm kind of partial to the quirkiness of Syd's songwriting.

Start Croyle
09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Queensryche? Very cheesy 80s band!

Pink Floyd? They are responsible for some of the most bland, uninteresting, boring music ever produced!

I am not really a Rush fan, but I can say I like them way more than the other two!

Honestly, none of these three are what I would consider 'progressive rock!'

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
My go to prog rock band would be Dream Theater. But I like those other bands, as well. Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

On a related note, I believe Geoffe (sp?) Tate was kicked out of Queensryche recently. I haven't really listened to them much in recent years. They were at their peak when they released Operation Mindcrime. Also loved Rage For Order and The Warning.

Did you see #26 by chance?

I'm still waiting to see if somebody "gets it".

lcarus
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Of those 3 my answer would be Pink Floyd...... but my choice would be Alan Parsons Project.

I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

As far as the topic, Pink Floyd is #1 for me without hesitating. I think I like Queensryche more than Rush, but I like them both a lot. Queensryche is another band I need to look into more of their "deep cuts". I've heard most Rush albums all the way through. 2112 is a masterpiece.

siberian khatru
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
My top-tier favorite bands of all time (and yes, there's a bit of a cheat in counting):

1a. Yes
1b. Genesis
2. King Crimson
3. The Who
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Pink Floyd
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Rush
8. ELP
9. Moody Blues

There's even strands of prog in The Who and Zep.

Edit: I went ahead and expanded the list to 10 bands ... although the more I think the harder it is to cut it off.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM

I dont get it?

beach tribe
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
You really just inserted them in this debate?

siberian khatru
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM

Hawkwind isn't prog?

They're more psychedelic stoner space metal.

Reerun_KC
09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Everyone needs their Tom Sawyer fix....

:facepalm:

Fish
09-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Pink Floyd, and it's not even close.

It still amazes me how Rush can have the fans they do. It's just awful awful prepubescent high school crap. Never understood that...

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I dont get it?

Well, they're not really "progressive". But that's not it...

Hawkwind isn't prog?

Hawkwind was Lemmy's first band. :D

frankotank
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM

very nice on the APP. I have a cool APP hat from a concert from years ago. still wear it.
Floyd is by far the better of the three.

by the way...I saw Yes last year at starlight open for Styx. I was very excited to see them....then they sucked.....
just saying.....

siberian khatru
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, they're not really "progressive". But that's not it...

Hawkwind was Lemmy's first band. :D

I remember that. But when did Lemmy or Motorhead enter this discussion? :p

Frazod
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
1. Floyd
2. Queensryche
Distant 3rd. Rush

ChiefButthurt
09-12-2012, 10:08 AM
I think a lot of people forget that Pink Floyd was really 2 bands, 2 really different bands.

Syd Barrett could have been the poster child for "a brain is a terrible thing to waste".

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Ya, most folks have no idea what ummagumma is yet they call themselves PF fans.

Changing one member can make a huge difference.

Rush is another band that had two different sounds. The first album with "working man" is completely garage grunge from the day compared with 2112 et al because the drummer was replaced with Neal Peart.

Lzen
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Queensryche? Very cheesy 80s band!

Pink Floyd? They are responsible for some of the most bland, uninteresting, boring music ever produced!

I am not really a Rush fan, but I can say I like them way more than the other two!

Honestly, none of these three are what I would consider 'progressive rock!'

Queensryche a cheesy 80s band? You are dumb.

Lzen
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM

I saw that you mentioned that one. I don't know who/what is Hawkwind.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I remember that. But when did Lemmy or Motorhead enter this discussion? :p

I just think Lemmy might want to punch whoever made this list in the face. I can't imagine he likes being on a list with Yes. ROFL

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I like Alan Parsons Project. I need to hear more of their stuff. Any suggestions? I've only really heard their hits.

As far as the topic, Pink Floyd is #1 for me without hesitating. I think I like Queensryche more than Rush, but I like them both a lot. Queensryche is another band I need to look into more of their "deep cuts". I've heard most Rush albums all the way through. 2112 is a masterpiece.

The "Gaudi" album is my favorite. "Tales of Mystery & Imagination" (the works of Edgar Allen Poe) is awesome, "Ammonia Avenue," "Eye In The Sky," "The Turn Of A Friendly Card," and "Stereotomy" albums are my favorites pretty much in order. All the others are good too imo and worth listening to as well... depends on which style you like the most.

APP wasn't actually a touring band (much). They were/are just what the name says... Producer Alan Parsons' Project. He (Alan) did play a lot but almost never sings. There were guys who appeared on most albums and singer Eric Woolfson (amazingly smooth) was always along as kind of a partner and consistant sound, but a lot of other guest vocalists and musicians came and went.

MahiMike
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Pink Floyd=NFL

Rush=College

Queensryche=High school flunkies

siberian khatru
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I just think Lemmy might want to punch whoever made this list in the face. I can't imagine he likes being on a list with Yes. ROFL

LMAO :thumb:

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Syd Barrett could have been the poster child for "a brain is a terrible thing to waste".

You should read the book "A Saucerful of Secrets". Syd tried to quit doing acid but the other band members suspect members of his entourage continued to dose him because they thought he needed it. He suffered from some kind of mental illness and it was horribly aggravated by LSD.

In fact, there's a story in there about how a bald fat man, kind of homeless-looking, sat in the studio for part of the recording of "Wish You Were Here" which was of course about Syd. The band didn't realize until after the man left that it actually WAS the once stereotypical "sexy frontman" Syd Barrett. He had declined that much in just about 6 years.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I saw that you mentioned that one. I don't know who/what is Hawkwind.

The band Lemmy quit to form Motorhead.

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 10:19 AM

The music Sid made was not for everyone, but his contribution to humanity was hardly a waste. He is considered a pioneer in his art.

threebag02
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Floyd

this

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
You should read the book "A Saucerful of Secrets". Syd tried to quit doing acid but the other band members suspect members of his entourage continued to dose him because they thought he needed it. He suffered from some kind of mental illness and it was horribly aggravated by LSD.

In fact, there's a story in there about how a bald fat man, kind of homeless-looking, sat in the studio for part of the recording of "Wish You Were Here" which was of course about Syd. The band didn't realize until after the man left that it actually WAS the once stereotypical "sexy frontman" Syd Barrett. He had declined that much in just about 6 years.

Schizophrenia. And that disease has other precursor diseases, like bipolar disorder etc.

This set of diseases are most often aggravated when psychotropic drugs such as LSD are introduced, but anything can trigger episodes at any point in a person's life. For example, poor nourishment can trigger these diseases and often does;

"BIPOLAR DISORDER

Individuals with bipolar or manic-depressive disorder often have an underlying imbalance of slow oxidation and often copper imbalance. In addition, they often have a four highs pattern on a hair test or others indicating extreme stress. The combination of these two traits leads to the common pattern of days of high energy followed by a period of very low energy and depression. This can be corrected in most cases with nutritional balancing science in a relatively short time of months, usually, and with relatively little difficulty if one is willing to follow the program carefully.

SCHIZOPHRENIA

Copper imbalance, mercury toxicity, manganese toxicity, cadmium toxicity and other imbalances are associated with schizophrenias. Most respond beautifully to balancing the body chemistry. Results can be fast, but may take longer if a person is far out of balance.

Copper and Schizophrenia. Joan, age 18, was a patient in Scottsdale Camelback Hospital with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. She responded poorly to medication and psychotherapy. Tissue mineral testing revealed a copper level of 40 mg%, about 15 times normal. Joan was placed on a diet and nutritional supplements to reduce tissue copper.

Her condition improved so radically she was released from all psychiatric care within six months, and returned to high school the following September. Excess tissue copper stimulates the biogenic amines, neurotransmitters associated with depression, anxiety, mood swings and schizophrenia. Copper imbalance is quite common but goes undiagnosed because the tissue mineral test is not often done. "

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/emotions_and_behavior.htm

Stewie
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM

We know Alan Parsons was a huge contributor to Dark Side of the Moon. I believe he was credited as "engineer" but from what I've read he was doing alot of the producing due to the new and innovative "sounds" that he brought to the table. He carried that skill on to his own band. Always a front-runner.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-12-2012, 10:52 AM
We know Alan Parsons was a huge contributor to Dark Side of the Moon. I believe he was credited as "engineer" but from what I've read he was doing alot of the producing due to the new and innovative "sounds" that he brought to the table. He carried that skill on to his own band. Always a front-runner.

He produced/co-produced Abbey Road and Let It Be for The Beatles too.

KC_Lee
09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Rush is my prog rock go to band, burnt out of Floyd. Don't get me wrong, they are an amazing band and are responsible for some of the greatest music ever I just can't hear it anymore.

Love Queensryche, saw them last year (or what's left of the band) live here in Nashville.

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not clicking on that link because I think it'd piss me off even more than a lot of the posts in this thread have.

Pink Floyd is my favorite of the three prog bands in the thread title, fwiw.

BoneKrusher
09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Hawkwind isn't prog?

Lemmy from Motorhead was in Hawkwind, wasnt he?
edit*i see it's already mentioned*

vailpass
09-12-2012, 11:04 AM
WTF?

Absolutely. In more ways than one.

kc rush
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know. I'll have to think about this for a...

Rush.

ChiefRocka
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
"Hush now don't ya cry..."

BoneKrusher
09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
mother

Frosty
09-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Rush was my first concert (my sophomore year in HS). It was the Permanent Waves tour and I really liked that album (and still do). I wasn't a huge Rush fan though and only owned PW and 2112. I didn't like Tom Sawyer when it came out and fell away from listening to them after that.

My 18 year old son has really gotten into classic rock and I bought him 2112 and Rush's latest greatest hits CD to give him a taste of what they are like. I like hearing the songs again but I still probably wouldn't seek them out.

Pink Floyd's The Wall came out my soph year and I loved that album and about wore out my record. I still love that album though Wish You Were Here is my favorite PF album. I call myself a Pink Floyd fan but in reality I basically just like Meddle, Animals, Wish, The Wall and Dark Side. The Final Cut sucked, the post Waters stuff is okay but not great and I'm not enough of a prog fan to get into their early stuff (though I know most of the songs).

I didn't like Queensryche when they came out and haven't heard anything to change my mind.

I am not a big prog rock fan (never liked Yes or ELP) but I still have some records of some of the bands on that top 100 list like Uriah Heap and Eloy. Eloy is okay but I mostly bought the record because I liked the album art (the artist did a lot of metal album cover art in the 80's) and it was clear vinyl. :D

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Alan Parsons was a staff engineer at Abbey Road Studios and worked on the Beatles' albums before DSOTM. He was already an accomplished pro and he brought plenty of skills to that PF album. The work was done at AR Studios.

There is some good video footage documenting that whole session. From the "crazy guy" vocal capture of the staff RM to the woman that, without tabs or any real musical guidance, nailed the maternal yet haunting female vocal during "the great gig in the sky". More here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

Video;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GLqkwGfwajs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 11:25 AM
The early Floyd stuff isn't prog, it's psychedelia.

Ace Gunner
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
The early Floyd stuff isn't prog, it's psychedelia.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wbIMx2MYNXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the distinction, at least in my mind, is in the METHOD.

Prog rock produces increasingly complex and interesting ideas through application of musical theory and technique.

Syd Barret produced increasingly complex and interesting ideas in a completely random, non-technical way, much like other psychedelic songwriters at the time.

Rausch
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Syd Barret produced increasingly complex and interesting ideas in a completely random, non-technical way, much like other psychedelic songwriters at the time.

The rest of the Floyd though were very technical and got their hands on any and every piece of technology they could.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Pink Floyd for sure. I am Rushed out...

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I think the distinction, at least in my mind, is in the METHOD.

Prog rock produces increasingly complex and interesting ideas through application of musical theory and technique.

It's easy to see why Pink Floyd transitioned to being a progressive rock band, though. Psychedelia could basically be considered proto-prog much in the same way that Led Zepplin plays a sort of proto-metal.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
The rest of the Floyd though were very technical and got their hands on any and every piece of technology they could.

That's why I specifically said the EARLY Floyd stuff really can't be considered prog...

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
It's easy to see why Pink Floyd transitioned to being a progressive rock band, though. Psychedelia could basically be considered proto-prog much in the same way that Led Zepplin plays a sort of proto-metal.

I can agree with that.

You just have to be careful with strict definitions, otherwise someone gets the impression that Boston is "progressive rock". :D

Baconeater
09-12-2012, 12:16 PM
How is Queensryche even in the conversation?

Frazod
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM

They're better than fucking Rush.

Frosty
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
That top 100 list has Styx and Primus on it. I'm not enough into arguing over what is and isn't prog rock to know for sure but those two wouldn't have been the first to spring to mind (the Beatles either).

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM

I dunno. They aren't as legendary or as popular.

That said, they have two albums that are quite good (The Warning and Empire), a self-titled EP that is GREAT, and their album Operation: Mindcrime might just be the very best rock album of the 1980's.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM
their album Operation: Mindcrime might just be the very best rock album of the 1980's.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up...

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...hold up...

It's absolutely in the conversation, IMO. It's a near-flawless album.

Pablo
09-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Pink Floyd by a lot.

tooge
09-12-2012, 12:53 PM
three totally different bands with three totally different sounds. Sitting around a campfire after midnight is Pink Floyd time. Cruisin to a fishin trip is Rush time, workin out is Queensryche time.

KCUnited
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Silent Lucidity makes me want to pitchfork embryos.

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 01:03 PM

To be fair to brutality, so should a lot of the death metal and grindcore you usually listen to.

Frazod
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Dare I even ask what kind of vile shit you listen to? Never mind, I'm sure I don't want to know. :shake:

KCUnited
09-12-2012, 01:08 PM
To be fair to brutality, so should a lot of the death metal and grindcore you usually listen to.

That actually creates a zen-like effect and in regards to Silent Lucidity, it wasn't so much the song as the exposure it got. You couldn't wipe the bbq sauce off your Zubaz in the early 1990's without hearing it.

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
That actually creates a zen-like effect and in regards to Silent Lucidity, it wasn't so much the song as the exposure it got. You couldn't wipe the bbq sauce off your Zubaz in the early 1990's without hearing it.

I wasn't talking about quality, but about literal inspiration.

Frosty
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Eloy is okay but I mostly bought the record because I liked the album art (the artist did a lot of metal album cover art in the 80's) and it was clear vinyl. :D

I doubt anyone cares but it was bugging me that I couldn't remember the artist's name so I looked it up. It is Rodney Matthews, who did a bunch of album covers for Asia, Tygers of Pan Tang, Praying Mantis, etc.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lppik1tTuW1r00r4ro1_500.jpg

Whole art here (http://www.rodneymatthews.com/timetoturn.htm)

This is apparently the alternative UK cover.

The band itself is pretty good but are probably more ELP/Yes than Pink Floyd.

listopencil
09-12-2012, 01:20 PM
The music Sid made was not for everyone, but his contribution to humanity was hardly a waste. He is considered a pioneer in his art.

I don't think that's what he meant. I took it as:Think about at his mind, think about what he could have come up with if drugs didn't help ruin him. What a waste of an interesting brain.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Eloy is okay but I mostly bought the record because I liked the album art (the artist did a lot of metal album cover art in the 80's) and it was clear vinyl. :D

My wife makes art/sculpture out of old vinyl records. She goes out of her way to find stuff that isn't the straight black. I might actually have this album in a box somewhere, we have literally hundreds of scratched/warped albums that she's going to eventually melt or cut (or both).

And every once in a while, there's a hidden gem in the boxes full of records she buys for $5, like these:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/dio_master_of_the_moon_picture_disc.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l9mMdSclL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These aren't the actual albums, I'm too lazy to snap a pic and upload it. :D Apparently, there were only 2500 of the "Killing the Dragon" discs made, it's probably worth about $75.

KCUnited
09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I wasn't talking about quality, but about literal inspiration.

One would certainly think.

Frosty
09-12-2012, 01:43 PM
My wife makes art/sculpture out of old vinyl records. She goes out of her way to find stuff that isn't the straight black. I might actually have this album in a box somewhere, we have literally hundreds of scratched/warped albums that she's going to eventually melt or cut (or both).

And every once in a while, there's a hidden gem in the boxes full of records she buys for $5, like these:

When I was a record buyer, these were a big deal. IIRC, the ones with pictures didn't have the greatest sound though collectability was more the point than actual sound fidelity.

With CDs and now MP3s, it seems like album art is a dying art. Back in the day, music was the number 1 concern but cool album art and liner notes enhanced the buying experience. It was cool to sit on the bed with headphones on while listening to the album the first time and reading through the liner notes and looking at the art. CDs were too small for the same effect and you get nothing when downloading MP3s.

:rolleyes:

Now get off of my damn lawn!

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Since she's started doing this, we've actually purchased a record player and started listening to some of them.

In amongst the Carpenters and Conway Twitty's (that she will melt for sure) we've found stuff like Deep Purple "Machine Head", "Sergeant Pepper", and Cheap Trick Live at the Budokan...

Frosty
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I have found a ton of records at garage sales and second hand stores. A lot of times, they are trashed but you can still find good stuff. I have an Ion turntable that lets me capture them to MP3 if it's something I want (a lot of my old metal albums never went to CD, let alone MP3).

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:53 PM
I have found a ton of records at garage sales and second hand stores. A lot of times, they are trashed but you can still find good stuff. I have an Ion turntable that lets me capture them to MP3 if it's something I want (a lot of my old metal albums never went to CD, let alone MP3).

OK, I need one of those!

Cornstock
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Frosty
09-12-2012, 02:07 PM
OK, I need one of those!

This (http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Vinyl---MP3-Turntable-input/dp/B002YVAT72/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1347480273&sr=8-4&keywords=ion+turntable) is similar to the one I have. It has a line input, too, so you can hook up a tapedeck and capture tapes, too.

I have several tapes of a friend's rare albums and they sounded surprising good after capturing them, especially considering how old the tapes were.

Garcia Bronco
09-12-2012, 02:13 PM

PK and its no competition.

Halfcan
09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Rush is the Best band of all time-so they get my vote.

qabbaan
09-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Wtf? How is this even a question? Rush? Queensryche?

Rush?

Baby Lee
09-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Sharpling lays it out

http://www.buzzfeed.com/scharpling/how-to-really-understand-pink-floyd

petegz28
09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vAI2QOBMlTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

qabbaan
09-12-2012, 10:12 PM

It still amazes me how Rush can have the fans they do. It's just awful awful prepubescent high school crap. Never understood that...

It amazes me that three musicians that talented produced such bland fare?.. To me anyway. Nothing ground breaking or inspiring.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Ya know what's worse than one Queensryche's? TWO Queensryches!

Queensryche sucks. Always have, always will, especially since "The Band" fired Geoff Tate and replaced him with a Geoff Tate soundalike.

What a bunch of hokey, stupid dumbasses.

Brock
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Queensryche sucks. Always have, always will, especially since "The Band" fired Geoff Tate and replaced him with a Geoff Tate soundalike.

LMAO That should revive this thread.

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM

Says the man who likes Altar Bridge. :D

Tombstone RJ
09-12-2012, 10:34 PM

queensdyke isn't even in the conversation...

Reaper16
09-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Also, Rush is awesome. Guzzle cock, fucktasters.

mdstu
09-12-2012, 10:37 PM
It amazes me that three musicians that talented produced such bland fare?.. To me anyway. Nothing ground breaking or inspiring.

I'm not a huge Rush fan, but "2112" is about as good as it gets.

DaneMcCloud
Says the man who likes Altar Bridge. :D

In all honesty, I only like the first record and that's probably due to the amazing production by Ben Gross. The second record is "okay" and the third, unlistenable.

Speaking of Alter Bridge and Myles, the Slash record "Apocalyptic Love" features some great 70's inspired songwriting but it's hard for me to get past Myles' voice on that record. Fortunately, there's enough cool riffs and hooks for me to get past it. It's my 4 year old's favorite record at the moment, displacing "Wasting Light" by the Foo Fighters.

blaise
I've seen Rush and Pink Floyd live and I thought Pink Floyd was a better live show.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Also, Rush is awesome. Guzzle cock, fucktasters.

This.

Besides the whole cock thing.

CosmicPal
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
By FAR and away, it has to be Pink Floyd. When you're putting out timeless and remarkable albums such as Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, then you are not only the king of prog, but one of the better bands that ever was. Their quality and success is virtually unmatched and remarkable. And this list doesn't even include albums like Meddle, A Saucerful of Secrets, and Ummagumma, which are still better than most shit put out by bands.

Rush, on the other hand, have had a couple of great albums- most particularly, the ever-popular Moving Pictures and 2112. Two very dramatic and excellent albums. A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves, are all very good and entertaining albums. But Rush has never been able to live up to their profound success of Moving Pictures and quite frankly, has never been the same band since. I've been listening to their latest album and it sounds awful. I'm sorry, but it sounds like Neal Peart is on a drum machine and they tragically killed Lifeson's guitar on this latest wreck. These three guys are terribly talented and this album regretfully dulls their talents. Old Rush is good Rush.

Queensrych...yeah, whatever.

CosmicPal
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I've seen Rush and Pink Floyd live and I thought Pink Floyd was a better live show.

Same here. I've seen well over 500 live shows in my lifetime, and Pink Floyd at Arrowhead Stadium still ranks as one of the best shows.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm sorry, but it sounds like Neal Peart is on a drum machine and they tragically killed Lifeson's guitar on this latest wreck. These three guys are terribly talented and this album regretfully dulls their talents. Old Rush is good Rush.

I agree. Nick Raskulinecz has all but sterilized them. They need to break free and find a new producer.

He did the same, at least IMO, to the latest Alice In Chains record. Bland, boring, quantized and auto-tuned to death.

Blech.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Same here. I've seen well over 500 live shows in my lifetime, and Pink Floyd at Arrowhead Stadium still ranks as one of the best shows.

I listened to the Roger Waters perform The Wall at the Hollywood Bowl from one of my balconies.

It was amazing! I'm sure it was even cooler to be there...

CosmicPal
09-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I listened to the Roger Waters perform The Wall at the Hollywood Bowl from one of my balconies.

It was amazing! I'm sure it was even cooler to be there...

If you could see and hear it, then you were there. How cool that would be! And speaking of the Hollywood Bowl, have they remodeled it, or is it the same glorious building of lore? I've always heard the acoustics there, for an outdoor show, are only surpassed by that of the venerable Red Rocks Amphitheater.

DaneMcCloud
09-12-2012, 10:55 PM
If you could see and hear it, then you were there. How cool that would be! And speaking of the Hollywood Bowl, have they remodeled it, or is it the same glorious building of lore? I've always heard the acoustics there, for an outdoor show, are only surpassed by that of the venerable Red Rocks Amphitheater.

I can't see it from my home but I can hear concerts, especially louder concerts like Roger Waters, very clearly.

A few years ago, I was out walking my Labs and heard "Taxman", "Band on the Run" and a few other classics at three in the afternoon and quickly realized it was McCartney doing soundcheck at the Bowl. So unbelievably awesome!

To my knowledge, it's never been remodeled. It's an absolutely amazing venue for all styles of music. I've seen everyone from Joe Satch to John Williams to the LA Philharmonic to Hall & Oates and Aerosmith there and they've all sounded amazing.

CosmicPal
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
I can't see it from my home but I can hear concerts, especially louder concerts like Roger Waters, very clearly.

A few years ago, I was out walking my Labs and heard "Taxman", "Band on the Run" and a few other classics at three in the afternoon and quickly realized it was McCartney doing soundcheck at the Bowl. So unbelievably awesome!

To my knowledge, it's never been remodeled. It's an absolutely amazing venue for all styles of music. I've seen everyone from Joe Satch to John Williams to the LA Philharmonic to Hall & Oates and Aerosmith there and they've all sounded amazing.

That is good to know. If there are two places that should remain the same- that is the Hollywood Bowl and Red Rocks.

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
That is good to know. If there are two places that should remain the same- that is the Hollywood Bowl and Red Rocks.

And the Greek Theater in Griffith Park. It's amazing as well. I saw Bowie there a few years back and was blown away.

Aries Walker
09-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Bow down before The King.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N0FuFfcCZiE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Assud
09-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Pink Floyd is the most commercial Prog Rock band of all time. I feel they're overrated and overplayed. Cannot stand to listen to them for pleasure when their music is being shoved down my throat on the radio. However, they are very talented musicians and songwriters.

Rush gets my vote. Queensryche isn't even on the radar.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Rush is prog? Queensryche blows Floyd away.

Assud
09-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Rush, on the other hand, have had a couple of great albums- most particularly, the ever-popular Moving Pictures and 2112. Two very dramatic and excellent albums. A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves, are all very good and entertaining albums. But Rush has never been able to live up to their profound success of Moving Pictures and quite frankly, has never been the same band since. I've been listening to their latest album and it sounds awful. I'm sorry, but it sounds like Neal Peart is on a drum machine and they tragically killed Lifeson's guitar on this latest wreck. These three guys are terribly talented and this album regretfully dulls their talents. Old Rush is good Rush.

Queensrych...yeah, whatever.

That's the beauty of Rush. They do not want to be the same band they were on the last album. They do whatever the **** they want!

The new album is awesome. It took me a few listens, as it's real deep into the prog rock arena.. Which is not easy to digest, usually. Neil Peart improvised most of those 'drum machine' sounding tunes and as far as the tone of Alex's guitar.. o_O It's never sounded better. It sounds full and energetic and not as overproduced as the last few albums. He's cut back on the texturing and gone back to basics.

Assud
09-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Rush is prog? Queensryche blows Floyd away.

Yes, Rush is prog.

Guru
09-13-2012, 02:48 AM
considering I don't like the other two. Rush.

KChiefer
09-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Floyd. The rest can suck on a mint leaf.

PS: I like RUSH, dunno much about the lattest

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
Surprised Porcupine Tree is all the way down at #49. :hmmm:

Glad I decided to read the thread before clicking any links and if PT is at #49 I won't be clicking any links either,what a joke.

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 04:40 AM
So Prog Rock = a theme/concept often running through the album, too many keyboards, and perhaps a flute makes an appearance

Rush is probably the best of this mostly-forgettable genre.

:facepalm:

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 04:46 AM

Seen APP live twice and the sound was perfect,like having a set of headphones on and the volume cranked.That said here's a couple of my favs that you rarely if ever hear on the radio.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MWJ6G7Sr4-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O5NN8fK1tXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 05:03 AM

Yes
King Crimson
Genesis
Emerson Lake & Palmer

You have a problem.

:thumb:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p2scCQOwBDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 07:09 AM
Pink Floyd is the most commercial Prog Rock band of all time. I feel they're overrated and overplayed. Cannot stand to listen to them for pleasure when their music is being shoved down my throat on the radio. However, they are very talented musicians and songwriters.

Rush gets my vote. Queensryche isn't even on the radar.

I've never understood this BS.

Why should Pink Floyd be penalized because they're POPULAR? They're not Hanson, they weren't manufactured for radio.

They get airplay because they make good fucking music and people like it.

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm not a huge Rush fan, but "2112" is about as good as it gets.

I'm not a big Rush fan either but it will always occupy a special place for me.

When I was in high school, I played with an absolutely awesome drummer. He was truly gifted. Once we were sitting around after jamming and his dad (who was in a bad of course) said "Hey, I wanna show you guys something".

He popped in a home video and there was my drummer, sitting at the kit playing "Tom Sawyer" like a pro. He was 7. :thumb:

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 07:14 AM
In all honesty, I only like the first record and that's probably due to the amazing production by Ben Gross. The second record is "okay" and the third, unlistenable.

Speaking of Alter Bridge and Myles, the Slash record "Apocalyptic Love" features some great 70's inspired songwriting but it's hard for me to get past Myles' voice on that record. Fortunately, there's enough cool riffs and hooks for me to get past it. It's my 4 year old's favorite record at the moment, displacing "Wasting Light" by the Foo Fighters.

Same here!

I was watching the Slash Guitar Center sessions the other night and I just couldn't listen to him sing.

Backwards Masking
09-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Seen APP live twice and the sound was perfect,like having a set of headphones on and the volume cranked.That said here's a couple of my favs that you rarely if ever hear on the radio.

Were you at the 2009 Ameristar show? it was badass!!! they did everything!!

that said, back to the OP:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Queensryche

All phenomenal bands

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 07:17 AM
And the Greek Theater in Griffith Park. It's amazing as well. I saw Bowie there a few years back and was blown away.

OK, fuck you name dropper. :D

I wish I could see Bowie live anywhere within 1000 miles of my freaking house...

tecumseh
09-13-2012, 07:47 AM

Do you play a musical instrument? Have you ever attempted to write lyrics and set them to melody? Perhaps you're only familiar with Rush's radio catalog. I'm sure you're probably just joking.

tecumseh
09-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Same here!

I was watching the Slash Guitar Center sessions the other night and I just couldn't listen to him sing.

Complete agreement. I tried to view Live at Stowe, and Myles thin cat screech voice made it unpleasant. I'm sure he can pull off the G'n'R catalog though.

Aries Walker
09-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Watch the movie Ladyhawke. The soundtrack is them.

I posted the Keith Emerson video, but between the three in the OP, I go with Rush. While I can recognize their talent, I've never liked Pink Floyd very much, and Queensryche is a tier below them both.

Lzen
09-13-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm not clicking on that link because I think it'd piss me off even more than a lot of the posts in this thread have.

Pink Floyd is my favorite of the three prog bands in the thread title, fwiw.

It's probably best that way. And I think they are using the term 'prog' loosely.

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 08:20 AM

Yep,5th row center

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Since I'm not clicking the link can someone tell me if RPWL or Alias Eye made the list?

BoneKrusher
09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
the Masque album from Kansas is the shit.

Lzen
09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
It's absolutely in the conversation, IMO. It's a near-flawless album.

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Since Genesis has been mentioned had to put one of my all time favs here

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AFBY4dvoISc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
09-13-2012, 08:33 AM

that said, back to the OP:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Queensryche

All phenomenal bands

No.

Where I work comparing Rush to Pink floyd would get your ass kicked man...

http://forums.ffshrine.org/images/smilies/lawrence-office-space.jpg

Lzen
09-13-2012, 08:38 AM
I've never understood this BS.

Why should Pink Floyd be penalized because they're POPULAR? They're not Hanson, they weren't manufactured for radio.

They get airplay because they make good ****ing music and people like it.

That's somewhat understandable. The problem with the radio is that they play the same 5 songs over and over. But Floyd has so much more than those and the masses probably don't even realize how complex and deep that band is.

Nzoner
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
That's somewhat understandable. The problem with the radio is that they play the same 5 songs over and over. But Floyd has so much more than those and the masses probably don't even realize how complex and deep that band is.

Exactly the reason I can't remember the last time I listened to commercial radio by choice.

morphius
09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
LOL! No bands get me to change stations faster than Rush or PF. Can't stand the voice of the lead singer of Rush, thing is worse than nails on a chalk board. Then there is Floyd which just makes me want to curl up and take a nap.

I'm pretty neutral on Queensryche, used to think they were okay, but just never a big fan.

Frosty
09-13-2012, 08:47 AM

I don't like hearing Floyd songs out of the context of their album, especially stuff from The Wall. It just sounds weird.

Predarat
09-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Pink Floyd, the other two are awesome, but Pink Floyd is a cut above.

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't like hearing Floyd songs out of the context of their album, especially stuff from The Wall. It just sounds weird.

yep.

BoneKrusher
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Pink Floyd, the other two are awesome, but Pink Floyd is a cut above.

early Floyd form 67-68:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHQTywSJYM

Lzen
09-13-2012, 09:15 AM

Very true about songs from The Wall.

Lzen
09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
And for anyone that only knows Queensryche from Silent Lucidity on the radio, try these to get a different perspective.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LajywWFBIOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/daS_-nevI2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty
09-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Very true about songs from The Wall.

It's really bad when they come up on the iPod on random, especially songs like "One Of My Turns" because they cut off at weird times. I've thought about using Audacity or something to combine the MP3s into 4 tracks that coincide with the four record sides.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MWJ6G7Sr4-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You're speaking my language here man. La Sagrada Familia is so awesome I can't even explain it. People need to listen to that. I almost posted it early in the thread. The whole "Guadi" album is spectacular imo.

Here are a couple more from Gaudi that I love.

Standing On Higher Ground

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SjwUmMOJN64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too Late

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ECDKABRY3LQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Closer To Heaven

Woolfson vocals are so pure

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Glfpb3lRQQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
It's really bad when they come up on the iPod on random, especially songs like "One Of My Turns" because they cut off at weird times. I've thought about using Audacity or something to combine the MP3s into 4 tracks that coincide with the four record sides.

I had to remove QOTSA "Songs for the Deaf" from my MP3 player for that reason. Some of the voice-over tracks don't make any sense out-of-sequence...

Frosty
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I had to remove QOTSA "Songs for the Deaf" from my MP3 player for that reason. Some of the voice-over tracks don't make any sense out-of-sequence...

It would be nice if there was a "Don't include in random play" option on the iPod as some just work well that way.

BTW, as I type this, Comfortably Numb just started on my Pandora. LMAO Spooky.

It IS one of the few songs off of The Wall that can stand alone, though.

Lzen
09-13-2012, 09:49 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ban3fjsW-GY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G8IPbswEkaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch
09-13-2012, 10:00 AM
And for anyone that only knows Queensryche from Silent Lucidity on the radio, try these to get a different perspective.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LajywWFBIOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/daS_-nevI2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I see absolutely no similarity between them and the Floyd.

Like what you want but why the two would even be in the same conversation is beyond me...

siberian khatru
09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Readers' Poll: Your Favorite Prog Rock Albums of All Time

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-your-favorite-prog-rock-albums-of-all-time-20120725/10-rush-moving-pictures-0245490#ixzz26O6m5o74

I have every one of the albums -- EXCEPT No. 1. Just have never gotten around to buying their stuff.

Also, ironic this is on the Rolling Stone website, seeing as how Jann Wenner HATES prog.

Frosty
09-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-your-favorite-prog-rock-albums-of-all-time-20120725/10-rush-moving-pictures-0245490#ixzz26O6m5o74

I have every one of the albums -- EXCEPT No. 1. Just have never gotten around to buying their stuff.

Also, ironic this is on the Rolling Stone website, seeing as how Jann Wenner HATES prog.

Hmmm, I only have two of those (2112 and Dark Side of the Moon). Guess I'm not much of a prog rock fan.

Huffmeister
09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
1) Rush
2) Pink Floyd
3) Queensryche

I love prog rock, and Rush is my favorite band, so that's why they get top billing. But given PF's broader appeal, I can see why most people would have them as number 1.

Queensryche is great (except some of the later albums) and Tate has probably the coolest rock voice ever. But there are several other 'prog' groups that I would put before them and PF.

Backwards Masking
09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
You're speaking my language here man. La Sagrada Familia is so awesome I can't even explain it.

Zoner and I got to hear the long version live at Ameristar a few years back.

You missed out...

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Zoner and I got to hear the long version live at Ameristar a few years back.

You missed out...

I wondered when you were going to show up in here.

I've never seen the full band but I did get to see Alan as part of the "A Walk Down Abbey Road" tour with Jack Bruce, Christopher Cross, Todd Rundgren, Eric Carmen and another dude... and for the life of me I can't remember who it was anymore. Long time ago.

Backwards Masking
09-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I wondered when you were going to show up in here.

I've never seen the full band but I did get to see Alan as part of the "A Walk Down Abbey Road" tour with Jack Bruce, Christopher Cross, Todd Rundgren, Eric Carmen and another dude... and for the life of me I can't remember who it was anymore. Long time ago.

that's awesome, that would have been a great show to go to. I met Alan that night after the concert (wonder if Zoner was standing in line with me?). I had the whole "Live Project" sign an Ammonia Avenue CD, and just Alan himself sign a copy of "Stereotomy". Too bad I didn't know I could meet him, I woulda had him sign my Dark Side Of The Moon for sure.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-13-2012, 06:24 PM
that's awesome, that would have been a great show to go to. I met Alan that night after the concert (wonder if Zoner was standing in line with me?). I had the whole "Live Project" sign an Ammonia Avenue CD, and just Alan himself sign a copy of "Stereotomy". Too bad I didn't know I could meet him, I woulda had him sign my Dark Side Of The Moon for sure.

At the show they all sang 3 or 4 of their own songs and each picked a handful of their favorite Beatles songs to do. Christopher Cross did the chorus of "Eye In The Sky" though since Alans range doesn't go up there heh.

I wish I could have met him too.

acesn8s
09-14-2012, 06:52 AM
It depends if I'm in chillin' kinda groove or if I need a jolt of umph. Older Floyd is mellow but the Ryche is more blood pumping. Rush is a more upbeat groove than Floyd but has its mellow moments.

Lzen
09-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Awesome! BTW, that is one of their best, most prog albums they've ever produced. You should check it out.

Nzoner
09-14-2012, 08:23 AM

That would be a no,I was drinking and gambling by then.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Yes, Rush is prog.

I've never really considered Rush prog, When Spaghetti Lee started Rush prog didn't even exist.

OctoberFart
09-14-2012, 09:05 AM
2 of the 3 don't belong in that list.

Huffmeister
09-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Awesome! BTW, that is one of their best, most prog albums they've ever produced. You should check it out.

Yes, Scenes from a Memory is a fantastic album. Lots of range, excellent flow from song to song, and a decent story/concept. Probably my favorite overall DT album.

On a side note, I've always considered Home to be the quintessential DT song. It's like a little sampler of everything that DT does so well.

Rausch
09-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I love prog rock, and Rush is my favorite band...

I guess if that's how you roll...

http://chzfailnation.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/epic-fail-occupying-fail.jpg

Reaper16
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
I've never really considered Rush prog, When Spaghetti Lee started Rush prog didn't even exist.

You don't know what progressive rock is.