PDA

View Full Version : Video Games What's Your Favorite Game Genre?

MTG#10
09-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Just curious what everyone's preferred gaming genre is. I used to play a lot of 3rd person games like Resident Evil and Parasite Eve on consoles, but then got into PC gaming and cant control them very good with a keyboard/mouse so I usually stick to FPS's now. Likewise, I cant control a FPS worth a shit with a gamepad. Ive been intrigued with different strategy games, but cant seem to get into them. Poll forthcoming.

Dartgod
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
FPS

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Continuous chemical damage to my brain cells and synapses prevents me from being good enough at FPS games to actually enjoy them.

I can't get myself to sit at a PC and game anymore. I'm a console guy. I prefer RPGs.

SLAG
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
poll fail - where is platformer?

MTG#10
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM

There's obviously a lot I missed...there's probably a hundred or more different genres, I just assumed the ones I listed were probably the most popular.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 10:23 AM
There's obviously a lot I missed...there's probably a hundred or more different genres, I just assumed the ones I listed were probably the most popular.

What's funny is that this is a sports-related forum yet you completely missed the sports genre. :D

Luke Warm
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
3rd person, RPG, RPG hack and slash

lcarus
09-12-2012, 10:32 AM
What's funny is that this is a sports-related forum yet you completely missed the sports genre. :D

I like sports games but the only ones I currently play are Madden 13 and NBA 2K12. 2K12 is the best sports game I've ever played. Just awesome, and it really shines on PC. I hope 2K13 just adds to that foundation. I made a franchise with mostly all retro teams from different eras, and I control the 94-95 Orlando Magic. The attention to detail is astonishing. All the old players look just like real life. Even the bench players. I wish Madden would care that much about their product.

MTG#10
09-12-2012, 10:45 AM

DOH! :facepalm:

Molitoth
09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
MMORPG.

Everquest was the greatest game of all time.
Vanguard could've been.

QuikSsurfer
09-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Survival Horror
RTS
Western RPGs

Bump
09-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I go back and forth between, FPS, RTS, MMORPG and ARPG with a little bit of single player RPG's in between.

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Western RPGs

Isn't there only 1? :)

KC_Lee
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
FPS
Third Person Shooters
Hack and Slash

lcarus
09-12-2012, 10:55 AM
MMORPG.

Everquest was the greatest game of all time.
Vanguard could've been.

I have some great memories of World of Warcraft, and I am not a MMO guy. A friend basically begged me to play it for years, and eventually I reluctantly did. Then my brother played too. It was probably during Burning Crusade where I have the best memories. I quit the game shortly after Cataclysm came out. I'd probably go back to WoW some day if my farming bot didn't get shut down. I know, I know - it's "wrong" to bot, but I thoroughly enjoyed running that thing and waking up to my bags and mailbox being full of goodies, and getting incredibly rich as a result. I can't imagine having to revert back to farming manually.

lcarus
09-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I also really love retro 2D side scrollers. Kid Icarus on NES is one of my favorite games ever.

Fishpicker
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Ceej
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
What would the Sims classify as?

:)

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Gay?

Ceej
09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Gay?

I will be sure to let Mr. Plow know.

LMAO

MTG#10
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Simulation

Munson
09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
FPS

WhiteWhale
09-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Platformers are dead.

Do they still make them? I loved those things. Contra, Castlevania, and ninja gaiden!

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Platformers are dead.

Do they still make them? I loved those things. Contra, Castlevania, and ninja gaiden!

What?

There's tons of platformers available for PSN and XBox Live Arcade and they make them for smartphones and handhelds.

Platformers are no longer featured on high-end gaming consoles or on the PC but they're certainly alive and well.

Frazod
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Probably a tie between RPG FPS and RPG. Favorite games over the years are the original KOTOR, Fallout, Freelancer and Skyrim. Pure FPS games bore me, and FUCK ALL ONLINE GAMES.

Deberg_1990
09-12-2012, 01:21 PM
what does Leisure Suit Larry classify as?

htismaqe
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
what does Leisure Suit Larry classify as?

Adventure.

That genre is actually making a comeback.

lcarus
09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I was never an RPG guy. I need to start going back and playing some of the classics, starting with Chrono Trigger.

La literatura
09-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Rockstar games.

Also, city-builders.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Probably a tie between RPG FPS and RPG. Favorite games over the years are the original KOTOR, Fallout, Freelancer and Skyrim. Pure FPS games bore me, and **** ALL ONLINE GAMES.

Not bad..I'm an action Rpg'er at heart and hate MMO games. I enjoyed Kotor, Fallout and even remember the Daggerfall which is probably Bethesda's best Game even though it suffered horribly from bugs. Some FPS games are fun but any realistic Military style shooter bores me to tears. I used to love the RTS genre but it pretty much sucks right now and I have never liked starcrap. C&C Generals was fun, Dune 2 was fun(like the 1st RTS ever, even before warcraft I think). Best in the RTS genre is probably Supreme Commander 1. I also HATE console games and can't play them.

QuikSsurfer
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Platformers are dead.

Rayman Origins was one of the best games that came out last year.

htismaqe
09-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Not bad..I'm an action Rpg'er at heart and hate MMO games. I enjoyed Kotor, Fallout and even remember the Daggerfall which is probably Bethesda's best Game even though it suffered horribly from bugs. Some FPS games are fun but any realistic Military style shooter bores me to tears. I used to love the RTS genre but it pretty much sucks right now and I have never liked starcrap. C&C Generals was fun, Dune 2 was fun(like the 1st RTS ever, even before warcraft I think). Best in the RTS genre is probably Supreme Commander 1. I also HATE console games and can't play them.

Actually, some of the realistic shooters I can handle. Most FPS games play at a pace I just can't stand. I remember playing Unreal Tournament and it wasn't unrealistic at all for an 8-player deathmatch to average 10 kills a minute. Some of those games just move WAY too fast for my taste.

I've been playing Sniper Elite V2 and it's pretty awesome.

And yes, Dune RTS is one of my favorite games of ALL TIME. That and Warlords 3, the best TBS game ever made...

hometeam
09-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Is it bad that I checked nearly all of them?

Frazod
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM

I have an Xbox and a Wii, and there are a couple of games I actually prefer on console. I played Godfather on PC and enjoyed it, but then saw a used Wii version for cheap and picked it up for the hell of it - the Wii version is vastly superior. I also prefer the Fable series on Xbox.

htismaqe
09-14-2012, 06:48 AM
I have an Xbox and a Wii, and there are a couple of games I actually prefer on console. I played Godfather on PC and enjoyed it, but then saw a used Wii version for cheap and picked it up for the hell of it - the Wii version is vastly superior. I also prefer the Fable series on Xbox.

There's a lot of games that were better on console. Some games benefit greatly from a closed, predictable hardware environment and they're just not as buggy on console.

Aspengc8
09-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Half of those fall under the same genre..

No sports or MOBA?