PDA

View Full Version : Football Are NFL quarterbacks becoming too good?

loochy
09-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Cassel gets a 72.5 QB rating last week....went 21 for 33.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8644/matt-cassel

This is proof that QBs are too good.

A Salt Weapon
09-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe the NFL will require them to wear gloves, that should even out the playing field a bit. No more Flaco 50y bombs from his back foot.

Since Cassel is the worst starting qb in the league he would be exempt.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I think CBs should be allowed to actually defend passes.

Right now there are so many restrictions on them going up against taller, faster WRs than ever before. I'm surprised there are as many good CBs in this league as there are.

Which is another reason why the hallmark of any great Super Bowl team is its franchise corners. And you find franchise corners in the 1st round.

whoman69
09-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Amazingly his ESPNQBR rating, probably because of the INTs. They probably were like the rest of media and said they weren't his fault.

ChiefGator
09-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I actually think teams are getting worse at running the ball, but I can't figure out why. Damn Packers can't run the ball to save their life, although Cedric is helping them some. Steelers seemed to have forgotten how to run the ball effectively. etc..

SNR
09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
I actually think teams are getting worse at running the ball, but I can't figure out why. Damn Packers can't run the ball to save their life, although Cedric is helping them some. Steelers seemed to have forgotten how to run the ball effectively. etc..
The Packers can't run the ball because they rarely trust their ballcarriers to shoulder the offensive burden, even when things are going well.

Well, it's both that, and all of their RBs after Ryan Grant have sucked ass. James Starks, Brandon Saine, Brandon Jackson, John Kuhn, etc. Hell, even Ryan Grant was only really good for 2 or 3 seasons. You have to go back to Ahman Green if you want to find a RB on that team that made establishing the run in a game a worthwhile venture.

feldspar
09-14-2012, 04:01 PM
My starting QB isn't becoming too good, I'll tell you that.

Gotta figure that the rules favor QBs a lot more than they used to, receivers too. The game is a lot different than it used to be in that respect.

KC Jones
09-14-2012, 07:08 PM
You should check out his QBR on ESPN - 7th best ranking in week 1.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

listopencil
09-14-2012, 11:12 PM
This is proof that QBs are too good.

No, it's proof that ESPN likes to make up stupid shit to generate hype.

Bump
09-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Right now there are so many restrictions on them going up against taller, faster WRs than ever before. I'm surprised there are as many good CBs in this league as there are.

Which is another reason why the hallmark of any great Super Bowl team is its franchise corners. And you find franchise corners in the 1st round.

they can also be found in the 6th round. Oh wait we did find one in the 6th round, he's playing for Dallas though, even though we have the most cap space, bummer.

KCtotheSB
09-14-2012, 11:49 PM
I want to like Matt Cassel. I really do.
He seems like a pretty cool guy. Shame he's not that great of a quarterback...

Fishpicker
09-14-2012, 11:50 PM

this.

it's been a problem since 2003/2004(?) when the league decided to crack down on physical play by defensive backs.

another problem is the inconsistency once the end of the game is near. refs will throw PI flags through 3 quarters and then allow big name defensive backs mugging receivers. face guarding penalties are ridiculous too because face guarding doesn't work at all.

chiefzilla1501
09-15-2012, 05:52 AM

Teams that commit to running the ball with a good rb are fine. But these days, teams are building around the spread, the shotgun, four wr sets, and running sets that don't use a fullback. Tight ends are becoming receivers instead of blockers. These are all trends that really started after the nfl tightened up rules on corners being able to guard receivers.

I agree with this thread. Think the nfl wanted to create a passing league to boost ratings, but it's made the game worse. It's made the qb position way too important and sorry, a well fought game between a balanced 49ers and cowboys team is far more exciting to me than watching a pitiful defensive shootout between green bay and new Orleans.

Dave Lane
09-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Morning Bob.

ILChief
09-15-2012, 08:01 AM

I used to want to like him. Now I just want him gone.

Backwards Masking
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
no - i think the defenses are becoming too Neutered by Goodell and the Do Gooder$

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM

The important thing is that he grades out perfectly, not that he wins or loses.

Welcome to KC!

Douche Baggins
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
I think this is a joke thread, but if anything the league has become too easy for marginal talents like Mork Castille. Hence they get 60 goddamn million.

20 years ago Mack Castell would have been a career backup.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-15-2012, 11:32 AM
I think this is a joke thread, but if anything the league has become too easy for marginal talents like Mork Castille. Hence they get 60 goddamn million.

20 years ago Mack Castell would have been a career backup.

More Hunt money down the shitter.

milkman
09-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Teams that commit to running the ball with a good rb are fine. But these days, teams are building around the spread, the shotgun, four wr sets, and running sets that don't use a fullback. Tight ends are becoming receivers instead of blockers. These are all trends that really started after the nfl tightened up rules on corners being able to guard receivers.

I agree with this thread. Think the nfl wanted to create a passing league to boost ratings, but it's made the game worse. It's made the qb position way too important and sorry, a well fought game between a balanced 49ers and cowboys team is far more exciting to me than watching a pitiful defensive shootout between green bay and new Orleans.

The QB position is no more important today than it was back in the 60s.

The difference is that the separation from great to good is no longer as wide.

The way the NFL has changed, even average QBs can produce ridiculous numbers.

Rausch
09-15-2012, 12:30 PM
A great athlete at QB can beat 3 out of 4 defenses.

A great defense can beat nearly all "athlete QB's."

A great passing QB wins rings...

Deberg_1990
09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
The way the NFL has changed, even average QBs can produce ridiculous numbers.

Welcome Hall of Famer Vinny Testeverde!

Setsuna
09-15-2012, 02:05 PM
They are becoming worse. Jay Cutler in particular. It's disgusting.

Rausch
09-15-2012, 02:17 PM
The QB position is no more important today than it was back in the 60s.

Douche Baggins
09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
lol, wtf is happening in that scene

KILLER_CLOWN
09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
A great athlete at QB can beat 3 out of 4 defenses.

A great defense can beat nearly all "athlete QB's."

A great passing QB wins rings...

and our QB will always suck teh penses.

cdcox
09-15-2012, 03:07 PM
AdvancedNFLstats has had some really good articles about passing over the last week or so. Interceptions and sacks are down, YPA are up. The elite QBs can engineer a TD drive in less than a minute. You have to pass to win.

whoman69
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
More Hunt money down the shitter.

I'm sure he's not hurting. He makes tons off the Chiefs. Just gotta give the public some false hope and get them back in the stands.

PGM
09-15-2012, 04:58 PM
lol, wtf is happening in that scene

Think the dude just watched a Chiefs playoff game