PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Hillis’ fumble at goal line deflates Chiefs’ offense

Tribal Warfare
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Hillis’ fumble at goal line deflates Chiefs’ offense (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/16/3818758/hillis-fumble-at-goal-line-deflates.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
A week ago, it was a botched field-goal attempt that deflated the Chiefs’ offense.

On Sunday, it was Peyton Hillis’ fumble at the goal line that sapped the life out of the Chiefs in a 35-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills.

The Chiefs were trailing 21-0 when they drove to the Bills’ 1 with 45 seconds left in the first half. On a second-down run up the middle, Hillis tried extending the ball over the goal line, but his arms were hit by Buffalo linebacker Nick Barnett and the ball bounced into the end zone, where Bills linebacker Bryan Scott recovered it for a touchback.

The Chiefs were never part of the game again.

“I was trying to get some second effort, and my elbow hit somebody, and when it did, it popped out,” Hillis said. “But we’ve got to minimize those mistakes, no matter second effort … I’m not supposed to do that. I need to hold on to the ball … have another down to find another play. But I didn’t do that. I wanted a touchdown, but it’s not worth the ball.

“It’s my fault, and I take full blame for it.”

Had the Chiefs scored, they would have been down two touchdowns instead of three and felt as if they were back in the game. And it could have made their play-calling a little less predictable in the third quarter.

“That was a tough one, because you have to protect the football,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said. “He was trying to get that ball into the end zone, and if we could have gotten that one, it would have helped. At least we could have gone into the half feeling a little better.”

It was the Chiefs’ second lost fumble of the game. Quarterback Matt Cassel, for the second straight week, lost a fumble when sacked, leading to a Buffalo touchdown on the possession before Hillis’ fumble.

“We’ve got to treat that football like it’s our lifeblood, because it is,” Cassel said. “When we do get opportunities to score, we’ve got to take advantage of it, because a lot of times in this game, it can come down to a score here or a score there.”

Although they were clearly in control of the game, the Bills felt a surge of momentum after the fumble.

“The goal-line stand was as big as anything in the ballgame,” said Buffalo coach Chan Gailey. “I thought that was huge. That is what you keep talking to them about. Keep fighting, just keep fighting.”

The Chiefs scored first in the second half on Ryan Succpo’s 33-yard field goal that made it 21-3, but that still kept Kansas City down by three scores. Why not go for the touchdown, or even a first down to keep the drive going on fourth and 7 from the Bills’ 15 and try to get it to 21-7?

“The alternative was zero (points),” Crennel said. “If you don’t get anything … we saw last week, we drove it down and didn’t get anything, and that was demoralizing, so I decided to take the points to get some points on the board and give those guys some reward for the effort they put in to get the ball down in scoring position.”

The Chiefs picked up two garbage-time touchdowns on 33- and 2-yard passes from Cassel to Dwayne Bowe, but that only made the score semi-respectable.

The ugly numbers were:

• the two fumbles

• a 3.7-yard rushing average for Hillis on six first-half runs

• a half-yard average for the game by Jamaal Charles — six carries for 3 yards

• and five sacks of Cassel, who was a sitting duck with the Chiefs trailing throughout the game.

“That’s what happens when you get behind in the NFL,” said tackle Eric Winston. “You play from behind, you don’t score early in the game, then they score … they’re going to come with the pressure. Both weeks, that’s been our problem. We haven’t got ahead, and have not been able to play with a lead.”

Charles put it more simply: “We’ve got to figure out a way to make plays. We just didn’t come out and play. If we would have come out and played, we probably would have won.”

Guru
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Covitz has no balls.

Marcellus
Did he draw the short straw or not get the memo?

Chocolate Hog
Did not read.

tredadda
09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Hillis’ fumble at goal line deflates Chiefs’ offense (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/16/3818758/hillis-fumble-at-goal-line-deflates.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
A week ago, it was a botched field-goal attempt that deflated the Chiefs’ offense.

On Sunday, it was Peyton Hillis’ fumble at the goal line that sapped the life out of the Chiefs in a 35-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills.

The Chiefs were trailing 21-0 when they drove to the Bills’ 1 with 45 seconds left in the first half. On a second-down run up the middle, Hillis tried extending the ball over the goal line, but his arms were hit by Buffalo linebacker Nick Barnett and the ball bounced into the end zone, where Bills linebacker Bryan Scott recovered it for a touchback.

The Chiefs were never part of the game again.

Outside of when the score was 0-0 we were never really in it.

mcaj22

lol

stonedstooge
Fat Scott must have helped him write this one

KCrockaholic
09-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Seriously? Yeah his fumble was shitty, but Hillis' fumble is not the reason the offense didn't show up ALL game.

MahiMike
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Last week it was the missed FG. Is this team so fragile they can't overcome minor setbacks?

milkman
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I saw that headline and thought that is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read.

Did this dumbfuck even watch this game?

This offense was never inflated.

lewdog
09-16-2012, 06:33 PM
It was already 21-0 at that point. :facepalm:

Fuck off douchebag!

Bewbies
09-16-2012, 06:33 PM
LMAO spin away mother fucker! Nobody in KC reads this shit and doesn't laugh at you.

FAX
09-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Finally ... a scapegoat. For a second there, I thought the people responsible for this mess were actually going to take responsibility.

Ah well, load up the clown car. Red Friday's just a week away.

FAX

L.A. Chieffan
All the momentum could have been the chiefs going into the locker room.

Last week was on succop and Reeves, this week it's on Hillis and dj.

the Talking Can
wait...we were depressed again?

lewdog
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Finally ... a scapegoat. For a second there, I thought the people responsible for this mess were actually going to take responsibility.

FAX

Fax, glad to have you back. Your posts are always a good read.

A Salt Weapon
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
This must be sarcasm, I hope. Our offense got deflated before the game even started. If anything Hillis's fumble sparked our offense.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
09-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Even if that fumble had the effect that Covitz claims, then we are talking about a mentally soft team.

A team that has already taken on the traits of it's head coach.

KChiefer
09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
because 7 points per half makes for a good feeling...if you're the '01 Ravens.

Flachief58
09-16-2012, 06:38 PM
:facepalm:

Marcellus
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Even if that fumble had the effect that Covitz claims, then we are talking about a mentally soft team.

A team that has already taken on the traits of it's head coach.

You mean like punting from their 34 yard line when down 32 points?

Baby Lee
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
“We’ve got to treat that football like it’s our lifeblood, because it is,” Cassel said. “When we do get opportunities to score, we’ve got to take advantage of it, because a lot of times in this game, it can come down to a score here or a score there.”

Not with you, not with this team.

But for your opponents its like Old McDonald's farm, here a score, there a score, everywhere a score score.

Coogs
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM

FAX

:LOL:

SuperChief
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
This is game coverage writing, not an opinion piece.

Baby Lee
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Fat Scott must have helped him write this one

His pockets are MAD full of candy wrappers, yo.

Setsuna
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
This is game coverage writing, not an opinion piece.

If he was watching the game he wouldn't have said that. You're wrong.

The Bad Guy
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
February 2009 "Trade for Matt Cassel cripples Chiefs Franchise"

the Talking Can
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
i wonder what the nfl record is for most games in a row being depressed?

SuperChief
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
If he was watching the game he wouldn't have said that. You're wrong.

Yeah, like people take stock in anything you say. I'll stick with logic, thanks.

Flachief58
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM

42 years and counting

Baby Lee
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Have you seen the dogshaming site. Maybe we should start something similar with chiefshaming.

http://dog-shaming.com/

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma734dYdFE1re4ne0o1_500.jpg

the Talking Can
09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
42 years and counting

:bravo:

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 06:55 PM

That's what I was thinking LOL

Someone had to write the summary.

qabbaan
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Come on Covitz, what is this mealy mouthed nonsense?

Big Chief Homer
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM

FAX

Red friday only becomes blue monday anymore,so whats the point?

jallmon
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I thought the 80s sucked for the Chiefs. This is even more depressing. Luckily, I live in Pburgh now, and only have RedZone to see the lowlights. Of course they will be in town later this year, so I will be able to watch the whole shit storm. Let's Go Penguins. Wait, they are locked out.

GloryDayz
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Well this team is made of pussyass little fragile junior high girls, so Covits might be right. These 53 are the worst players in the NFL. If not individually, as a unit they are failed circus act, and not of them is man, or woman, enough to fix it. They'll all be strutting down the street buying fat gold jewelry by noon tomorrow.. and Romeo will have consumed 45,000 before they slap down their first dollar for that fat jewelry! Clark will be in Fiji getting done by a cadre of expensive marital substitutes...

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah, that fumble is the reason they lost.

:facepalm:

Pawnmower
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
They'll all be strutting down the street buying fat gold jewelry by noon tomorrow.. and Romeo will have consumed 45,000 before they slap down their first dollar for that fat jewelry! Clark will be in Fiji getting done by a cadre of expensive marital substitutes...

Lol Wut??

MIAdragon
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Last week it was the missed FG. Is this team so fragile they can't overcome minor setbacks?

No shit fucking pussies, man the fuck up. You sucked, from start to finish sucked. No one play changed ANYTHING. Pussies.

The Bad Guy
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
All the momentum could have been the chiefs going into the locker room.

Last week was on succop and Reeves, this week it's on Hillis and dj.

The trolling was cool about a year ago, now it's fucking lame.

GloryDayz
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Lol Wut??

That's a rant...plain and simple... But, I meant, that these girls we call football players (who SUCK BALLS so they should never disrespect the sport enough to call themselves players), will be out shopping tomorrow. Romeo will eat an entire side of beef (by himself and plug-up a few toilets), and nobody will care. Clark won't even be around, he'll have his sack emptied, emptied again, and with some more of the $30M he shorted talented players to play in KC, he'll have his sack emptied yet again... Like his girlie-ass players, he hires women who catch his long ball... That's why he has a private jet, he likes empty!

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2012, 07:17 PM
The trolling was cool about a year ago, now it's fucking lame.

Gfy fake fan.

It's your choice.

gblowfish
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
We really need to get these problems straightened out before the regular season begins.

listopencil
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM

FAX

It was that whistle. That damned whistle. The Chiefs were all waiting for the game to start, helmets shiny red, ready to erase the horrors of last week's loss. So much expectation. So much hope in the eyes of all the players. Then...somebody blew a whistle and they had to take the field...and that was the moment that ruined their chances. God damned whistle.

Dayze
09-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I said it then, and I'll say it now.....the frikken whistle should've never been invented

BoneKrusher
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
if Cassel wants to be a starter in the NFL, he needs to grow some Balls and ditch his Vagina.

Iowanian
09-16-2012, 08:39 PM
This team has no heart because Carl Winslow is the coach and he's treating his pussy as players like Urkel instead of million dollar athletes.

I'll bet when Hillis fumbled he came off the field and said "ndid IIIIIII ndoooooo that?"

Baby Lee
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
if Cassel wants to be a starter in the NFL, he needs to grow some Balls and ditch his Vagina.

QBs have a penis and Cassel has a vagina

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8H_-bA-Ww5U/0.jpg

lcarus
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
We really need to get these problems straightened out before the regular season begins.

I prefer this train of thought. Yep, we just extend our preseasons by two games before we play for real. Same thing we did last season. Yep this is all just preseason still.

KS Smitty
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
When was the Chiefs' offense inflated?

I had to work this morning so only saw the second half of the game. I have to agree with the commentator who said (after KC's second TD) "this game was a lot more lopsided than the final score will show".

WTF? I really didn't think it could get worse but this season is off to a dismal start and with a tough schedule I don't see a good outcome. This team looks unprepared to play NFL football from every aspect of the game.

Coogs
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
40 some yards of offense in the first five series leading up to the Hillis fumble drive. I'd say the offense was pretty deflated already.

tboss27
09-16-2012, 08:54 PM

FAX

LMAO

scott free
09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Seriously? Yeah his fumble was shitty, but Hillis' fumble is not the reason the offense didn't show up ALL game.

The entire offensive units body language was poor all game long, ZERO visible energy or excitement, very little chatter... there is NO emotional sparkplug present so far, outside of maybe Bowe flouting a useless td.