PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Romeo's defensive scheme has got to go...

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
It's old, it's soft and it doesn't work anymore. Did you see the Bills getting pressure up the middle? Might that have something to do with them actually trying to get pressure instead of just "eating up blockers"?

We keep hearing it's the job of our d-line to consume blockers so the LB's can be free. Free to do what? I am a fan of the 3-4 but not this style of the 3-4. We are never going to get consistent pressure on a QB at all. Teams take Hali out of the game and their QB has all day to sit back.

Meanwhile our "free" LB's are getting toasted over the middle or just plain leaving it wide open.

jspchief
09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I was saying this last week. This scheme is terrible.

tredadda
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Not till after the first round of the draft next year. If we do that we will have to draft more 1st round D-Linemen to fit our scheme.

KCrockaholic
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Phillips 3-4 would suit this team much better. Our entire DL is full of former penetrating lineman. And now we ask them to eat up space. Not working.

DJ wouldn't fit in that system as well, but his soft ass could learn.

Count Zarth
09-16-2012, 08:06 PM
I said Crennel would be less fondly remembered than Herm by the time he was fired here months ago.

Send your fucking props to 8675309 Told You So Road, Right City, Rightylvania.

KCrockaholic
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Clay was right. Not that I necessarily doubted him. But it's happening quicker than I imagined.

Count Zarth
09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Fuck, it's happening quicker THAN I IMAGINED.

This isn't even fun.

I might as well offer Beach Tribe a plea bargain at this rate.

chiefzilla1501
09-16-2012, 08:09 PM
The scheme looked just fine at the end of last year.

It's not scheme. It's not talent. It's that our players are soft and unconditioned and poorly coached and coordinated.

If you added a disciplinary coach and moved Romeo back to a coordinator role, I can bet you this defense would be much, much better.

gblowfish
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
He just needs to have a private meeting with his defensive coordinator and slap him around a bit. BTW: his nickname for his DC is "Chocolate Gunther."

notorious
ReeRun is going to unload in this thread.

7-11........

petegz28

It's not scheme. It's not talent. It's that our players are soft and unconditioned and poorly coached and coordinated.

If you added a disciplinary coach and moved Romeo back to a coordinator role, I can bet you this defense would be much, much better.

No Sir. It did ok last year when we started to blitz a lot. A 3-4 cannot sit back in coverage with only pressure coming off the edges. The D-line has to try and get penetration and we have to start blitzing the MLB's and not Berry all the fucking time.

You look at the 3-4 we ran under Marty. THAT'S what I am talking about. Neil Smith was not asked to simply eat up blockers.

milkman
09-16-2012, 08:12 PM

The end of last year Crennel was utilizing a more agrressive scheme than he is now.

They were attacking the QB and penetrating at the line rather than reacting and letting plays develop.

Spongeblack Bobtard
The thing is that this is not his old scheme and that's the problem. It's a new scheme. The main problem is the way he using Berry. He's trying to make him into a linebacker or something and the guy is in the box most of the day. He used to play in coverage and rapidly come in to stop the run. He's hardly ever in coverage now.

Also, in the past he ran a 3-3-5 nickel package. We lined up in the nickel 50% of the time last season. You could even argue it was our base defense. Now, he keeps running this stupid package with 2 down linemen on 3rd downs. We hav gotten beat for TDs in this formation a ton this year. Almost all of the TDs we gave up came when we were running this formation. Surely Romeo can scrap this formation.

Last week Ryan picked us apart through the air when we ran it. This week Chan ran a couple of HB delays or draws and we got gashed because we only had two horses up front.

Hopefully Romeo will scrap it quick. It's killing us. We need to just run the nickel in those situations.

tredadda
He just needs to have a private meeting with his defensive coordinator and slap him around a bit. BTW: his nickname for his DC is "Chocolate Gunther."

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL:hmmm:ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

CoMoChief
I love the 3-4. Just don't like playing Dime the whole fucking game.

It's stupid.

Chiefs Pantalones
I think our talent is fine, we need a more aggressive scheme. Berry is a beast that is being used oddly. Houston, Hali, we could do much more with those guys. Everyone.

notorious
09-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Sitting back and playing react defense is fucking stupid in today's NFL.

You have to dictate the game with aggression. Fuck this franchise.

AustinChief
09-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Phillips 3-4 would suit this team much better. Our entire DL is full of former penetrating lineman. And now we ask them to eat up space. Not working.

DJ wouldn't fit in that system as well, but his soft ass could learn.

This and more. I would be FAR happier with the Phillips 3-4.

Bowser
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Any read and react defense is going to suck in today's NFL.

The Niners and Texans have the type of 3-4 we should be running.

Bowser
Sitting back and playing react defense is fucking stupid in today's NFL.

You have to dictate the game with aggression. Fuck this franchise.

Great minds, and all of that.....

FAX
Romeo's scheme is awesome just as long as the enemy offense leaves their tight end at home.

FAX

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Sitting back and playing react defense is ****ing stupid in today's NFL.

You have to dictate the game with aggression. **** this franchise.

Exactly. What I loved about Marty's defenses is the entire mentality was to get into the backfield and cause problems. Make the QB move, fuck up his timing. I remember Marty saying once his scheme was simple; line up, beat the man in front of you and head to the QB, if they hand it off then tackle the RB on the way there.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:16 PM
He's blitzing... it's just not the same way as last year. He's trying to get Berry back there and trying to get Poe one on one. He's just not blitzing the same way. We need three down linemen in there with the MLBers blitzing sometimes. We aren't doing that at all. Basically, DJ is doing nothing but getting smoked in coverage. let the man blitz.

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Anybody remember what scheme Cowher ran here?

Seemed more aggressive.

petegz28

Seemed more aggressive.

3-4 1 gap I do believe

Spongeblack Bobtard
Romeo's scheme is awesome just as long as the enemy offense leaves their tight end at home.

FAX

I disagree. We never shut down Gates until Romeo got to KC.

notorious
What I find absolutely retarded is that aggressive has always been the way to go on defense. It isn't rocket science.

milkman
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
3-4 1 gap I do believe

Correct.

Bowser
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM

Seemed more aggressive.

Go find us the modern day equivalent to Derrick Thomas, Dan Saleamua, Kevin Ross, and Albert Lewis, and Romes would look as good as Cowher did back in those days.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I always thought the 3-4 was supposed to be a pass-first defense because you could disguise the blitzes and the QB's\O-Lines would be confused about where the pressure was coming from.

With us it's Hali and that's it.

Chiefs Pantalones
I just think Berry is being wasted. That dude has loads of talent. More than anyone on our defense.

Spongeblack Bobtard
Go find us the modern day equivalent to Derrick Thomas, Dan Saleamua, Kevin Ross, and Albert Lewis, and Romes would look as good as Cowher did back in those days.

That's what I was thinking. However, as we saw today, dropping guys like Belcher into coverage accomplishes what?

BoneKrusher
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
softer than a mushroom cloud.

Dayze
I have always hated the 3-4. Great if you have 7 studs. But chances are you won't. Especially the chiefs

Spongeblack Bobtard
I just think Berry is being wasted. That dude has loads of talent. More than anyone on our defense.

Definately. In his rookie year, they kept it simple for him. Now they are asking him to do too much.

Pestilence
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
3-4 1 gap I do believe

Run this with Powe at NT and Poe at DE (credit to milkman). Move Berry to FS and go find a SS that actually belongs down in the box.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Hali is not a bad replacement for DT. Berry could easily be another Keving Ross. Flowers is just fine at CB. We lack heart in the middle.

And I think the jury is still out on Poe but I'd like to see him given the chance to penetrate instead of block the blockers.

What we need is a Neil Smith and an Anthony Davis. Davis brought it hard from the middle and was a fucking beast. DJ needs to be that guy but they have him fucking up coverages instead.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Run this with Powe at NT and Poe at DE (credit to milkman). Move Berry to FS and go find a SS that actually belongs down in the box.

If you have a good front 7 you don't need a S in the box. I don't recall Cherry and Ross being in the box a whole lot. Seems they were good enough to come up and make the play when they needed too without giving away a deep threat.

Spongeblack Bobtard

Why move Berry to FS? He's one of the best SS in the NFL. It would screw him up and be a dumb idea imo. He is so good against the run it would be an absolute waste of talent.

Psyko Tek
I can't even bitch about the crappy offense while this worthless d is on the field
mother of fuck the D was good
and now?
pee-wee teams would score on them

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:24 PM
If you have a good front 7 you don't need a S in the box. I don't recall Cherry and Ross being in the box a whole lot. Seems they were good enough to come up and make the play when they needed too without giving away a deep threat.

Exactly and Berry probably closes to the ball carrier faster than anyone in the league.

FAX
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
That's what I was thinking. However, as we saw today, dropping guys like Belcher into coverage accomplishes what?

Didn't you just say that this defense can cover the TE?

I could have sworn you just said that.

FAX

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Any coverage type D has to have studs up front getting pressure. The Tampa-2, Romeo's cover 3-4, whatever. You cannot expect a secondary, no matter how good, to cover today's WR's for 5-7 seconds while the QB just sits there waiting for someone to come open.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I certainly believe a better coach and staff could get more out of these guys ala the way Harbaugh has turned around the Niners.....

But some of these guys are just huge disappointments......mainly Dorsey and Jackson any way you look at it. the lower rounds Piioli has basically gotten nothing.....and even Carl was pretty good at finding lower round talent.

Count Zarth
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM

It succeeded against a bunch of shitty quarterbacks.

When we played good QBs we got roasted.

The exception is the Rodgers game, and the Pack dropped 9 passes that day.

Romeo is part of the problem.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
There just isn't any nastiness on this team where we need it. It's great Pioli goes after former team captains and what not but on the lines and especially on defense you need guys who are mean, nasty and hungry.

DT and Neil Smith were good because they were mean and nasty. They intimidated offenses.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I certainly believe a better coach and staff could get more out of these guys ala the way Harbaugh has turned around the Niners.....

But some of these guys are just huge disappointments......mainly Dorsey and Jackson any way you look at it. the lower rounds Piioli has basically gotten nothing.....and even Carl was pretty good at finding lower round talent.

It's not those guys imo. They do their jobs alright. It's the guys he gave new contracts to that piss me off. The playmakers aren't making plays. The leaders aren't leading.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM

I think Dorsey and TJ would be fine in a 4-3. They aren't built for a 3-4. They don't know how to play a 3-4. We have been pounding this square peg through the round hole for 4 years now and it isn't working.

I am all for putting Powe (DT), Poe (DE) and Bailey (DE) and scrapping what we have.

But no matter who you have, if you are telling your down 3 to do nothing more than play blockers then it is all for not. They need to be attacking.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
It's not those guys imo. They do their jobs alright. It's the guys he gave new contracts to that piss me off. The playmakers aren't making plays. The leaders aren't leading.

We haven't had a leader on this defense since James Hasty left.

Saccopoo
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM

What do you mean credit to Milkman? I've been saying that the moment Poe was picked in the draft. Geez.

And here is your box safety:

http://images.wikia.com/collegefootballmania/images/7/7d/Ray_Ray_Armstrong.jpg

Armstrong, whom my colleague Dane Brugler had annointed as the top prospect for the Hurricanes this season, experienced several run-ins with authorities over his early collegiate career. He was suspended for four games at the beginning of the 2011 season for accepting gifts from noted Miami booster Nevin Shapiro. He was later suspended for an additional game as the university reportedly investigated whether he'd committed more infractions as his girlfriend, who owns her own public relations firm that represents athletes, paid for his stay at a hotel in Miami Beach. While the 6-4, 215 pound Armstrong certainly has demonstrated a great deal of natural ability, for various reasons he's been unable to remain on the field. In the seven games in which he played last year, he posted 34 tackles and notched one fumble recovery and one interception. His best year to date came in 2010 when he posted 79 tackles and six passes defensed despite starting just three games. Given his off-field concerns and limited playing time, some teams will likely take Armstrong completely off their boards. If he is indeed ineligible to play college football again, Armstrong could have a hard time convincing folks at the Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine Game or any of the other senior all-star games to allow him to participate, meaning the only opportunity NFL scouts may have to evaluate him would be at the Scouting Combine -- if scouts deem him worthy of inviting in the first place. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
You look at the premiere defenses in the league and you can immediately identify the leaders. Baltimore: Lewis, Niners, Willis, Houston, whatever the white guys' name is..lol.

Lewis is the kind of guy that will grab a teammate by the facemask in the huddle and tell him to get his shit straight. We have a bunch of tea and cookie type mother fuckers.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
It's not those guys imo. They do their jobs alright.

Not for the money they are making and where they were selected. A top 5 draft pick should be a playmaker. They are not. They might as well be any random 3rd or 4th rounder.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Berry should stay at SS, IMO. I wouldn't make the move.

petegz28
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I'd like to think we are seeing some of what we are seeing because DJ is not at 100% and Flowers and Hali have only played 1 game now.

But what I am afraid of is Romeo is trying to be too cute with coverages or not cute enough. I don't know but if we don't start getting to the QB none of it matters.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Really, I don't care what scheme we play just as long as we kill the fucking QB.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd like to think we are seeing some of what we are seeing because DJ is not at 100% and Flowers and Hali have only played 1 game now.

But what I am afraid of is Romeo is trying to be too cute with coverages or not cute enough. I don't know but if we don't start getting to the QB none of it matters.

Perhaps......but I'm doubtful this team could ever win a tight game where the defense plays well. They will find a way to lose.....Cassel, special teams....Succop....etc....something.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
What do you mean credit to Milkman? I've been saying that the moment Poe was picked in the draft. Geez.

Poe was a DE at Memphis and rarely played DT. We are currently changing his position.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Not for the money they are making and where they were selected. A top 5 draft pick should be a playmaker. They are not. They might as well be any random 3rd or 4th rounder.

But there has to be playmakers there when you draft. There weren't playmakers in the top 10 of either one of those drafts that we could get. Actually, we came out pretty good imo. The first round bust rate is around 70% in general. people have unrealistic expectations imo.

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Hali is not a bad replacement for DT. Berry could easily be another Keving Ross. Flowers is just fine at CB. We lack heart in the middle.

And I think the jury is still out on Poe but I'd like to see him given the chance to penetrate instead of block the blockers.

What we need is a Neil Smith and an Anthony Davis. Davis brought it hard from the middle and was a fucking beast. DJ needs to be that guy but they have him fucking up coverages instead.

Davis didn't play under Cowher. Chris Martin was pretty good opposite Thomas.

Davis never had more than 69 tackles in a season.

I had forgotten about him. Maybe you're thinking of someone else, but his numbers were very pedestrian.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Could have been Snow or Simeon

the Talking Can
09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
i no longer give a shit

i like the 3-4, but do whatever just find some crazy pain loving assholes and let them be crazy pain loving assholes...

aturnis
09-16-2012, 10:10 PM
While the start to the season is overwhelmingly disappointing and unexpected, I think you're all overreacting.

This team began it's season much the same, actually worse, last season and recovered nicely. At least on defense, the offense had a whole world of other problems.

2011 start:
Loss to Buffalo 7-41
Loss to Detroit 3-48

Outscored 10-89 in the first two weeks. This team recovered on defense to finish as the #11 defense in the league despite their first two weeks of play, and the injury to Berry.

2012 start:
Loss to Atlanta 24-40
Loss to Buffalo 17-35

Outscored 41-75 first two weeks.

To me, this is evidence that not only does Crennel's defense come out of the preseason under prepared, but that it takes time for the players to acclimate and execute the defense properly and effectively. Something Crennel NEEDS to figure out how to do in the preseason.

I expect this team to be more competitive in the coming weeks, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it.

Cannibal
09-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd rather see the 4-3.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I wonder how much of the problem is that Toribio has been out? I mean the guy is at the top of the depth chart for a reason. RAC has bragged on his technique quite a bit. Are we not blitzing the MLBs because he is out. I have seen both Poe and Powe in there but I am starting to wonder is they are costing us here. They see fine in run support but we constantly switch to that two down linemen three safety formation on third down. We don't even try the standard blitzes that worked last year....

I bet the defense is better with Toribio.

the Talking Can
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I wonder how much of the problem is that Toribio has been out? I mean the guy is at the top of the depth chart for a reason. RAC has bragged on his technique quite a bit. Are we not blitzing the MLBs because he is out. I have seen both Poe and Powe in there but I am starting to wonder is they are costing us here. They see fine in run support but we constantly switch to that two down linemen three safety formation on third down. We don't even try the standard blitzes that worked last year....

he's a career nobody who has started 6 games in 4 years....

he's done jack shit as a Chief...the idea we are missing a scrub is hilarious

the Talking Can
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
While the start to the season is overwhelmingly disappointing and unexpected, I think you're all overreacting.

This team began it's season much the same, actually worse, last season and recovered nicely. At least on defense, the offense had a whole world of other problems.

2011 start:
Loss to Buffalo 7-41
Loss to Detroit 3-48

Outscored 10-89 in the first two weeks. This team recovered on defense to finish as the #11 defense in the league despite their first two weeks of play, and the injury to Berry.

2012 start:
Loss to Atlanta 24-40
Loss to Buffalo 17-35

To me, this is evidence that not only does Crennel's defense come out of the preseason under prepared, but that it takes time for the players to acclimate and execute the defense properly and effectively. Something Crennel NEEDS to figure out how to do in the preseason.

I expect this team to be more competitive in the coming weeks, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it.

i am relieved to know that we could still be as good as last year's shitty team...

htismaqe
09-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Cold shit might taste "better" than warm shit but it ain't ever gonna taste like peanut butter...

lcarus
09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I was looking at the box score, and we just give up too many big plays. Stevie Johnson only had 2 receptions for 56 all day. One of them was a big 49 yard TD. Their TE Chandler only had 2 receptions for 53 yards all day. One of them was a big 43 yard catch. Fitzpatrick only had 10 completions. Spiller only ran 15 times, but had some huge plays. The big plays are just murdering us.

Red Beans
09-17-2012, 02:30 PM
I was looking at the box score, and we just give up too many big plays. Stevie Johnson only had 2 receptions for 56 all day. One of them was a big 49 yard TD. Their TE Chandler only had 2 receptions for 53 yards all day. One of them was a big 43 yard catch. Fitzpatrick only had 10 completions. Spiller only ran 15 times, but had some huge plays. The big plays are just murdering us.

I agree. That big play yardage is an indication of a breakdown in scheme, which is in all reality, a symptom of poor coaching. This team fairly reeks of Herm. I was all for RAC, but color me an idiot. The idea that a head coach should be calling all the plays on offense or defense, is simply a bad idea, but at this point I'm not sure that would make a difference...

htismaqe
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM

The Chiefs have led the league in big plays given up several times in the last 10 years.

MahiMike
09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Stopping the run is as antiquated as the running backs are.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Whatever they are doing is an absolute train wreck. Doesn't look like what they were running in the 2nd half of the year last year when they were successful.

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2012, 03:45 PM
I bet the defense is better with Toribio.LMAO How?

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 03:51 PM

They are absolutely hurting us. I like the Poe pick. But he is unbelievably raw for the position right now, and it's like expecting to have a productive offense with Palko as your QB. It's hard to blitz when the middle of your line is so leaky. What I've noticed is that the cutback lanes in the interior or ginormous. I think DJ and Berry have looked lost at times, but that might also be because the poor NT play is causing them to do too much.

But it doesn't change the fact that they're playing soft, over thinking, and playing without any focus. That's coaching.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
LMAO How?

I don't usually agree with the guy, but he's right. We all know how important the nose tackle position is. And Poe is getting manhandled, which shouldn't surprise anyone. It's common sense that when you upgrade at the most important position on that side of the ball, you're going to see major defensive improvements.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Cold shit might taste "better" than warm shit but it ain't ever gonna taste like peanut butter...

LMAO Nice

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM

I hear you but he is at the top of the depth chart for a reason. I don't think he will make much difference but he might. We aren't blitzing the MLBers and there is probably a reason for that.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Poe is getting mauled down low. I don't know if Torribio is the answer. But he would undoubtedly upgrade over Poe (for the time being). Will he be as good as Edwards/Gregg/Gordon/Shaun Smith? Remains to be seen, but none of those guys were standouts either.

But I do think he's had more than enough time to train into the position that he's going to make a lot less mistakes than Poe.

FAX
09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
They are absolutely hurting us. I like the Poe pick. But he is unbelievably raw for the position right now, and it's like expecting to have a productive offense with Palko as your QB. It's hard to blitz when the middle of your line is so leaky. What I've noticed is that the cutback lanes in the interior or ginormous. I think DJ and Berry have looked lost at times, but that might also be because the poor NT play is causing them to do too much.

But it doesn't change the fact that they're playing soft, over thinking, and playing without any focus. That's coaching.

You are as stubborn as you are verbose, Mr. chiefzilla1501, but I find myself agreeing with your opinions more often than not.

I don't understand this one, though. What in the name of Mr. Iowanian's left testicle gives you the notion that Poe was a good pick? It appears to me to be one of those major head-scratcher deals and, at best, he's a project pick akin to Jackson.

FAX THE CONFUSED

aturnis
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
i am relieved to know that we could still be as good as last year's shitty team...

What kind of logic is this? Surely everything won't be all rainbows and peanut butter cups, but this is without question a better team than it was last year.

If the defense turns around just the same as they did last year, get Lewis, Bailey and Toribio back, it should be better than it was last year. Especially when Berry gets his legs back so to speak...

Same goes on offense for Charles and Moeaki. Not to mention this offense is already better than, and has much more potential than last years.

While the team might be better, being in the hole they're in, and having a tough schedule will probably assure they don't finish any better than they did last year...Not with Cassel at least. They'll need a better QB to really compete consistently with the better teams in the league.

The biggest hurdle for this team will be to get back to executing correctly. Hopefully next year, someone will have the team ready to play from day one...

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Bend but don't break eh? This D has broken apart in mid-air 2 weeks in a row.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:06 PM

This exactly. Too many players are abandoning their assignments. Romeo's right when he says guys are trying to do too much, they are. Same thing happened last year. It doesn't mean "they think their way is better" as someone suggested, they just want too badly to make something happen. If you've ever played a sport and been stuck on a team that is sinking, you know it too well. You try harder, operate out of your system, and next thing you know, you're deeper than before. Quicksand, like from "The Replacements", it's all too real. When everyone is trying to do too much, and operating outside the system, pretty soon nobody is on the same page. Not good. All Romeo has to do is show them the tape and hold them accountable, it worked last year.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree. That big play yardage is an indication of a breakdown in scheme, which is in all reality, a symptom of poor coaching. This team fairly reeks of Herm. I was all for RAC, but color me an idiot. The idea that a head coach should be calling all the plays on offense or defense, is simply a bad idea, but at this point I'm not sure that would make a difference...

I wouldn't say bad coaching in the sense that the players don't know their assignments. I'd say bad coaching in that, when the defense gives up a score or two, Crennel isn't able to get them to TRUST the system, and when they go AWOL, bad things happen.

I'd say 2 games of them trying to do it their way and failing out to be enough for them to listen. You should see improvement this week. Too bad it has to be this way. Crennel has to take care of this in the offseason. Now we're in a hole.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Whatever they are doing is an absolute train wreck. Doesn't look like what they were running in the 2nd half of the year last year when they were successful.

Same defense, just less disciplined. There have even been blitzes, but players are out of position giving the offense means to escape.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
LMAO How?

You don't think a guy with much better technique would be better for first and second downs and stopping the run than a guy with zero technique? It all starts by getting an offense in third and long situations.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM

Great post.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I hear you but he is at the top of the depth chart for a reason. I don't think he will make much difference but he might. We aren't blitzing the MLBers and there is probably a reason for that.

The biggest things Toribio will bring is that he knows what he is supposed to do. Right now, Poe doesn't have the technique needed right now. He also doesn't have the understanding it requires to play with the discipline it takes to be effective. That's why he was supposed to spend the majority of the season as a third down rusher. It doesn't take a lot of knowledge to gonafter the QB.

Getting Toribio back should keep Poe fresh on 3rd downs too.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:31 PM
You are as stubborn as you are verbose, Mr. chiefzilla1501, but I find myself agreeing with your opinions more often than not.

I don't understand this one, though. What in the name of Mr. Iowanian's left testicle gives you the notion that Poe was a good pick? It appears to me to be one of those major head-scratcher deals and, at best, he's a project pick akin to Jackson.

FAX THE CONFUSED

He may be a project, I agree with you there. He has shown the ability and potential to be very good in this league if he takes to the coaching. He's well ahead of where either Jackson or Dorsey were at this point in their careers, plus he should be able to rush the passer too.

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 04:36 PM

he's top of the depth chart because we drafted a NT so pathetically unprepared that he can't beat out a career bench warmer...

and poe got his ass handed to him all day, in case anyone was watching...

pioli manged to downgrade the nt position by spending the #11 pick in the draft on it...how's that for skill?

we miss gregg...alot

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Poe is getting mauled down low. I don't know if Torribio is the answer. But he would undoubtedly upgrade over Poe (for the time being). Will he be as good as Edwards/Gregg/Gordon/Shaun Smith? Remains to be seen, but none of those guys were standouts either.

But I do think he's had more than enough time to train into the position that he's going to make a lot less mistakes than Poe.

the torblobio v poe discussion is as exciting as stanzi v palko...

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 04:38 PM
What kind of logic is this? Surely everything won't be all rainbows and peanut butter cups, but this is without question a better team than it was last year.

If the defense turns around just the same as they did last year, get Lewis, Bailey and Toribio back, it should be better than it was last year. Especially when Berry gets his legs back so to speak...

Same goes on offense for Charles and Moeaki. Not to mention this offense is already better than, and has much more potential than last years.

While the team might be better, being in the hole they're in, and having a tough schedule will probably assure they don't finish any better than they did last year...Not with Cassel at least. They'll need a better QB to really compete consistently with the better teams in the league.

The biggest hurdle for this team will be to get back to executing correctly. Hopefully next year, someone will have the team ready to play from day one...

there is not the slightest shred of proof that this team is better than last years....

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
he's top of the depth chart because we drafted a NT so pathetically unprepared that he can't beat out a career bench warmer...

and poe got his ass handed to him all day, in case anyone was watching...

pioli manged to downgrade the nt position by spending the #11 pick in the draft on it...how's that for skill?

we miss gregg...alot

The majority of first round picks are drafted for their potential. Especially early.

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
The majority of first round picks are drafted for their potential. Especially early.

no, the majority of first round picks are drafted to play...

they sure as hell aren't expected to be behind street free agents on the depth chart...

Pestilence
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM

they sure as hell aren't expected to be behind street free agents on the depth chart...

This.

Poe - Drafted #11 overall - Better be fucking starting.
Baldwin - Drafted in the 1st round - Better be fucking starting

aturnis
09-18-2012, 04:57 PM

The majority of first round QB's are drafted knowing they will likely play poorly for at least a year, if not more. Same goes for defensive linemen. The majority of dlinemen have to deal with a learning curve. There are very few players expected to play early without experiencing some sort of learning curve. Skill position guys tend to have a pretty good go early, but nowhere near where they will eventually play consistently.

Are you saying Tannehill DESERVED to get picked where he did? Or did his potential and positional value, along with demand have something to do with it?

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
The majority of first round QB's are drafted knowing they will likely play poorly for at least a year, if not more. Same goes for defensive linemen. The majority of dlinemen have to deal with a learning curve. There are very few players expected to play early without experiencing some sort of learning curve. Skill position guys tend to have a pretty good go early, but nowhere near where they will eventually play consistently.

Are you saying Tannehill DESERVED to get picked where he did? Or did his potential and positional value, along with demand have something to do with it?

we're talking about a nt, who is behind the depth chart to a street free agent

that's not normal or expected for first round picks...you can pretend it is, I don't care

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
there is not the slightest shred of proof that this team is better than last years....

The offense has scored 31 more points than they did at this point last year, while the defense has given up 14 points less.

The defense is absolutely looking bad b/c they are allowing big play due to being out of position. Fix the defensive players mentality, and you've fixed the defense. Aside from missing Toribio and Lewis, along with Baley on third down. Pitoitua has been nowhere near the player Bailey is. That goes for Poe and Elam as well. It's to be expensive, they're backups. All three of which, didn't have actual experience in our system, which hurts them further. Elam and Poe especially.

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
The offense has scored 31 more points than they did at this point last year, while the defense has given up 14 points less.

The defense is absolutely looking bad b/c they are allowing big play due to being out of position. Fix the defensive players mentality, and you've fixed the defense. Aside from missing Toribio and Lewis, along with Baley on third down. Pitoitua has been nowhere near the player Bailey is. That goes for Poe and Elam as well. It's to be expensive, they're backups. All three of which, didn't have actual experience in our system, which hurts them further. Elam and Poe especially.

the offense has scored a bunch of garbage time points, and cassel is living proof that stats mean jack...he's been a disaster

you can believe whatever you want...to me it's just a crap team that has been humiliated for 2 straight weeks, with a shitty HC

and our DC is worse now because he's distracted by having to be a shitty HC

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:22 PM
we're talking about a nt, who is behind the depth chart to a street free agent

that's not normal or expected for first round picks...you can pretend it is, I don't care

You can be objective, or not. Whatever. Fact is, Poe has a lot of learning to do, as would ANY NT brought into our scheme. Unless of course they've two gapped. Poe more so, and you know why, do act ignorant. Difference is, Toribio has been working in this league for 4 yrs, and in this defense for his third year now. Big difference, especially for a position with a big learning curve.

ChiefGator
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
The Chiefs have led the league in big plays given up several times in the last 10 years.

Link?

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
the offense has scored a bunch of garbage time points, and cassel is living proof that stats mean jack...he's been a disaster

you can believe whatever you want...to me it's just a crap team that has been humiliated for 2 straight weeks, with a shitty HC

Do you think this team DIDN'T have the opportunity to score garbage time points last year? You can't be this silly, really...

I agree with your second sentence. Do you think this team continues to give up an average of 37ppg for the rest of the season? Do you REALLY think that the defense isn't CAPABLE of playing better? Get real.

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
The offense has scored 31 more points than they did at this point last year

WHAT TIME IS IT?

http://i.imgur.com/lAqWo.jpg

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
BTW, career benchwarmer? He was lost to injury last year and was expected to play a role last year...

DJ's left nut
09-18-2012, 05:29 PM

I dunno man, those seem awfully hard to find.

I mean look at how tough it was for the Ravens to get ahold of that Pollard character. Perfect 'box' SS - they had to use a pretty high pick on him, if memory serves...

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
WHAT TIME IS IT?

http://i.imgur.com/lAqWo.jpg

Did the first two games last year not have any garbage time?

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Do you think this team DIDN'T have the opportunity to score garbage time points last year? You can't be this silly, really...

I agree with your second sentence. Do you think this team continues to give up an average of 37ppg for the rest of the season? Do you REALLY think that the defense isn't CAPABLE of playing better? Get real.

you can believe they're capable of whatever your heart desires

i thought we were discussing what they actually are....which is a terrible team on both sides of the ball, and with terrible QBs and terrible coaches

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM

Again, there was as much garbage time last year in the first two games as there has been this year, actually more...

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
You can be objective, or not. Whatever. Fact is, Poe has a lot of learning to do, as would ANY NT brought into our scheme. Unless of course they've two gapped. Poe more so, and you know why, do act ignorant. Difference is, Toribio has been working in this league for 4 yrs, and in this defense for his third year now. Big difference, especially for a position with a big learning curve.

torblobio is a nobody who was cut from green bay and picked up off the street

it would be like Bowe sitting behind bobby sippio...

again, you are free to believe it is normal...i don't care

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Do you think this team continues to give up an average of 37ppg for the rest of the season?

Well, we play better offenses than the Bills, that's for sure.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:36 PM
you can believe they're capable of whatever your heart desires

i thought we were discussing what they actually are....which is a terrible team on both sides of the ball, and with terrible QBs and terrible coaches

What they ACTUALLY ARE, is an undisciplined defense and an offense incapable of playing from behind.

The offense is exactly what we thought they were, and the defense isn't what we expected, but is EXACTLY what it was last year at this time...

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, we play better offenses than the Bills, that's for sure.

We did last year as well, turned out pretty good for the defense then...

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
torblobio is a nobody who was cut from green bay and picked up off the street

it would be like Bowe sitting behind bobby sippio...

again, you are free to believe it is normal...i don't care

Vince Wilfork spent his rookie season doing the same thing... What's your point? You have no clue how to develop a NT, let alone one as raw as Poe. Get a clue.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

the Talking Can
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Vince Wilfork spent his rookie season doing the same thing... What's your point? You have no clue how to develop a NT, let alone one as raw as Poe. Get a clue.

um, all I have doing is pointing out how raw poe is

now you agree with me, but somehow it is bad if I say it...

look man, believe this team is good...no one will stop you

aturnis
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
um, all I have doing is pointing out how raw poe is

now you agree with me, but somehow it is bad if I say it...

look man, believe this team is good...no one will stop you

No, I've never denied Poe being raw. Period. I have been pointing out that it is perfectly normal for high draft picks to need development and to be worked into the system slowly, unless the value of playing time exceeds the liability of the player playing poorly. i.e. QB

OctoberFart
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Did Poe get his stool pushed in against the Bills?

petegz28
09-18-2012, 08:50 PM

The entire defense got their stool pushed in

KCChiefsFan88
09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
We did last year as well, turned out pretty good for the defense then...

Which turned in a 7-9 season.

You warm Clark's heart with your expectations of mediocrity.

aturnis
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Which turned in a 7-9 season.

You warm Clark's heart with your expectations of mediocrity.

...and you warm my balls with your chin.

The #11 defense didn't turn in a 7-9 record, the #27 offense did.

jspchief
09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Aspiring to be last years team? That team was bad. Like several games worse than their record bad.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Yep, the whole team did, just like the Faid did against Miami. Saw Reggie Bush break 6 tackles on his way through that horrible Raider D for 6. Not sure what good your trolling is doing when the team from the Black Butthole is awful as well.

Chiefnj2
09-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Proactive v. Reactive.

Gailey spread it out forcing KC to run its sub package much more than its base 34. That was a good matchup for Buffalo because (1) it weakened the run D and (2) the DBs are having poor communication and/or talent level problems.

The opposite seemed to happen on offense. Moeaki isn't the same. His blocking hasn't been that great. Yet, they put him at the line bringing an extra defender into the box. That results in (a) congesting Cassel's "strength" area of 1-10 yards in the middle of the field, (b) strengthening Buffalo's run D, and (c) bigger pass rush from Buffalo since Moeaki is having trouble blocking.

Count Zarth
09-19-2012, 08:48 AM
...and you warm my balls with your chin.

The #11 defense didn't turn in a 7-9 record, the #27 offense did.

The #11 Fool's Gold Defense sucked complete fucking ass against:

Buffalo
Detroit
San Diego
Indianapolis
Miami
New England
New York

And gave up game-losing bombs against Denver and Oakland.

The Fool's Gold defense definitely played it's part in that deceptive 7-9 record.

TIM TEBOW, CALEB HANIE, CURTIS PAINTER, KYLE BOLLER, DONOVAN MCNABB AND PHILIP RIVERS' FUMBLE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aturnis
09-23-2012, 04:17 PM

2011 start:
Loss to Buffalo 7-41
Loss to Detroit 3-48

2012 start:
Loss to Atlanta 24-40
Loss to Buffalo 17-35

How's my dick taste!

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Fools gold!!

ChiefRocka
09-23-2012, 04:21 PM
"I expect this team to be more competitive in the coming weeks, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it."

Was this a Nostradamus prediction?

aturnis
09-23-2012, 04:34 PM
"I expect this team to be more competitive in the coming weeks, but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it."

Was this a Nostradamus prediction?

I fully expected the team to come out and compete this week.

To guarantee something that is completely dependant on how the defensive starters accept Crennel's coaching and claim that "if they just play the way they're asked, they'd be fine" this week would be retarded. They could have disregarded him and gone full blown mutiny, which would assure our season would be over.

I'm not Clay...

petegz28
09-23-2012, 04:36 PM
The defense did not look the same today that it did the first two weeks. Not sure what the difference was but it was improved

aturnis
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
The defense did not look the same today that it did the first two weeks. Not sure what the difference was but it was improved

They stuck to their assignments. It is absolutely and obviously that simple.

Had an idea they would be more disciplined by the first or second play of the first defensive series. DJ did what he was supposed to do, and so did the majority of the other players.

I think it also helped that we didn't run a two man front on 1st/2nd down nearly as much this week...

ChiefRocka
09-23-2012, 04:45 PM

To guarantee something that is completely dependant on how the defensive starters accept Crennel's coaching and claim that "if they just play the way they're asked, they'd be fine" this week would be retarded. They could have disregarded him and gone full blown mutiny, which would assure our season would be over.

I'm not Clay...

when you go to Vegas do you put $100 on black, $90 on red and $3 on green?

petegz28
09-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Had an idea they would be more disciplined by the first or second play of the first defensive series. DJ did what he was supposed to do, and so did the majority of the other players.

I think it also helped that we didn't run a two man front on 1st/2nd down nearly as much this week...

I think it's because I started this thread and ragged on DJ all week...:D

Valiant
09-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Well you can hope this game was a turning point yet.. They beat a team just as bad as the chiefs.. Win is a win, but the Saints board was worried the Chiefs would beat them.. Can you imagine how much your team must suck if you are fearful of the chiefs at home..

Even if the Saints stopped Charles 91yd td, they were suckign at stopping the run. That is literally the only thing you need to do to beat us..

All I am saying, do not think the ship is fixed just yet..

Bewbies
09-23-2012, 04:49 PM
I think the difference is that DJ was on here and saw the BlackBob said we should cut him.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 05:30 PM
I think the difference is that DJ was on here and saw the BlackBob said we should cut him.

I hope so. Hopefully, I won't have to say it again LOL He still sucked against the pass. He really only made two plays but it was better.

oRYMANo
09-23-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm not Clay...

Give yourself a pat on the ass, Looked to me like Romeo said fuck im bringing pressure because its all the only option left.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Yep... good post... things definately clicked better.

DBOSHO
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Any way you slice it, we repeatedly completely flustered a 1st ballot hall of fame quarterback at home when it mattered most

milkman
09-23-2012, 05:43 PM
No, this defense dd not perform better because of better discipline.

This defense performed better because they attacked the offense.

They were not asked to sit back to read and react to plays as they developed.

They attacked from every angle, shot gaps, and blitzed from everyhwere.

milkman
09-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Oh, and Dontari Poe played far fewer snaps.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh, and Dontari Poe played far fewer snaps.

I noticed that. I thought Powe would have a big day if he played alot because his whole family was probably there.

We have been blitzing out of the 2-3-6 all year. it just didn't click until today imo.

milkman
09-23-2012, 05:54 PM
I noticed that. I thought Powe would have a big day if he played alot because his whole family was probably there.

We have been blitzing out of the 2-3-6 all year. it just didn't click until today imo.

We didn't see nearly the number of 2-3-6 packages today that we've seen in the first two games.

And with Belcher on the field, along with Powe on the line for far more snaps, the Saints couldn't run the ball nearly as effectively as they are capable of, and as effectively as the first two opponents did.

Stopping the run, even in this passing league, is still an important facet of the defensive game.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 05:59 PM
We didn't see nearly the number of 2-3-6 packages today that we've seen in the first two games.

And with Belcher on the field, along with Powe on the line for far more snaps, the Saints couldn't run the ball nearly as effectively as they are capable of, and as effectively as the first two opponents did.

Stopping the run, even in this passing league, is still an important facet of the defensive game.

Yep, it was a better game plan for sure. Berry just about locked down Sproyles. He shadowed him all day.

It was good to see the regular old nickel back more.:clap:

Deberg_1990
09-23-2012, 06:02 PM
No, this defense dd not perform better because of better discipline.

This defense performed better because they attacked the offense.

They were not asked to sit back to read and react to plays as they developed.

They attacked from every angle, shot gaps, and blitzed from everyhwere.

I guess I don't understand why they would not have done that the first two games?

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I guess I don't understand why they would not have done that the first two games?

I don't know? Maybe he outsmarted himself?

jspchief
09-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Because Crennel coaches scared.

Saccopoo
09-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Because Crennel was playing with house money and playing conservative.

His fucking job is on the line now after his defense got obliterated the first two games.

Thus Powe versus Poe. Thus the attacking, blitz style.

The Cassel versus Quinn thing is going to be huge in the coming months as is the Poe versus Powe.

milkman
09-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Because Romeo Crennel is an old school coach who struggles with the idea of change.

He still believes in the bend but don't break philosophies he grew up with.

It was a desperation adjustment.

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 06:11 PM

I think part of it was his "new toys." I really think he just over analyzed things. He's a defensive genius any way you look at it. I think he got Berry back and he got Poe in the draft and he put too much on them.

In my opinion, we have been blitzing. I have seen it. It's just the style of blitzes were just to exotic. It's like every single blitz was exotic until this week.

oRYMANo
09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I think part of it was his "new toys." I really think he just over analyzed things. He's a defensive genius any way you look at it. I think he got Berry back and he got Poe in the draft and he put too much on them.

In my opinion, we have been blitzing. I have seen it. It's just the style of blitzes were just to exotic. It's like every single blitz was exotic until this week.

Several delay blitzes Brees didnt know where to go with the ball

Spongeblack Bobtard
09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Several delay blitzes Brees didnt know where to go with the ball

Yep, the delayed blitzes were good.