PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel are in positions that exceed their ceilings

Nightfyre
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
I've been thinking about it since this weekend, you know, to sweat off some of the raw anger at the state of Chiefs football, and I've arrived at the conclusion that Pioli and Crennel are both in positions above their ceilings. As a result, this team is severely under-performing with respect to the talent on the roster. Consider:

Scott Pioli:
Scott Pioli has assembled a talented roster. However, I believe I have identified three salient weaknesses to his performance.
1) The primary is OBVIOUSLY his inability to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback. Cassel's weaknesses have been enumerated on this board ad nauseum, so I will not expand on that point except to say that the Quarterback is the Queen of the chessboard and we have a pawn standing in.

2) Pioli is dogmatic in his support of schemes which are clearly antiquated. The read and react 3-4 has been virtually abandoned in the NFL simply because it was over-exposed. Furthermore, the offensive schemes developed under his tenure are also based upon the antiquated tenants of conservatism in an era where going for the big play clearly generates better results.

3) His inability to identify an innovative and motivating head coach, who utilizes a balance of discipline and player care.

Now take Crennel:
Crennel's defense last year was actually quite impressive. We also saw a lot of progress in some of younger players such as Jackson, Lewis, Belcher, DJ and Houston. However, since his move to the head coaching role, we have been witness to TERRIBLE defensive game-planning. I mean, Crennel is consistently putting personnel out of position to make a play. Furthermore, we have seen regression from our young players team-wide. Clearly, Crennel is not suited to be a head coach.

Now, a house-cleaning is in order. I join this bandwagon with terrific sadness, because we have had an excellent series of drafts starting in 2010, imo. However, change is necessary if we wish to move forward and Pioli has made it abundantly clear that he will not adapt. Therefore, I suggest the following course of action:

1) Eric DeCosta - hire him away from the Ravens. I don't care what it costs. A good GM is worth many times over what they are paid.

2) Eric DeCosta should then hire a coach who has the capability to transform this defense into an aggressive defense similar to the Ravens or 49ers, because frankly, there is no reason we can't make a one season turnaround ala the 2011 9ers given the talent-level of the team. Further, this person should be capable of implementing an aggressive down-field offense upon drafting a real QB.

3) We must draft a franchise QB. It will take a lot of time for me to assess the best options in the 2013 draft. However, right away I can say this class may be deeper than the last but does not have as much cream at the top.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Agree with everything written.

bevischief
09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a game plan make it happen Clark.

Ebolapox
09-17-2012, 03:22 PM
fucking peter principle, man. peter principle all day long.

people tend to exceed the level of their competence.

pioli's competence was being hoody's yes-man.
crennel's competence was being parcells' and hoody's yes-man/d-coordinator. but without the genius' oversight, he sucks shit.

Ace Gunner
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Eric Decosta would like a lengthy career in the NFL so he is going to pair up with Clark HuntROFL

MahiMike
09-17-2012, 04:01 PM
"So let it be written, so let it be done!"

KCUnited
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Crennoli

Nightfyre
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
One thing to add: At least we didn't turn the ball over four times in the first quarter

Lbedrock1
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been thinking about it since this weekend, you know, to sweat off some of the raw anger at the state of Chiefs football, and I've arrived at the conclusion that Pioli and Crennel are both in positions above their ceilings. As a result, this team is severely under-performing with respect to the talent on the roster. Consider:

Scott Pioli:
Scott Pioli has assembled a talented roster. However, I believe I have identified three salient weaknesses to his performance.
1) The primary is OBVIOUSLY his inability to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback. Cassel's weaknesses have been enumerated on this board ad nauseum, so I will not expand on that point except to say that the Quarterback is the Queen of the chessboard and we have a pawn standing in.

2) Pioli is dogmatic in his support of schemes which are clearly antiquated. The read and react 3-4 has been virtually abandoned in the NFL simply because it was over-exposed. Furthermore, the offensive schemes developed under his tenure are also based upon the antiquated tenants of conservatism in an era where going for the big play clearly generates better results.

3) His inability to identify an innovative and motivating head coach, who utilizes a balance of discipline and player care.

Now take Crennel:
Crennel's defense last year was actually quite impressive. We also saw a lot of progress in some of younger players such as Jackson, Lewis, Belcher, DJ and Houston. However, since his move to the head coaching role, we have been witness to TERRIBLE defensive game-planning. I mean, Crennel is consistently putting personnel out of position to make a play. Furthermore, we have seen regression from our young players team-wide. Clearly, Crennel is not suited to be a head coach.

Now, a house-cleaning is in order. I join this bandwagon with terrific sadness, because we have had an excellent series of drafts starting in 2010, imo. However, change is necessary if we wish to move forward and Pioli has made it abundantly clear that he will not adapt. Therefore, I suggest the following course of action:

1) Eric DeCosta - hire him away from the Ravens. I don't care what it costs. A good GM is worth many times over what they are paid.

2) Eric DeCosta should then hire a coach who has the capability to transform this defense into an aggressive defense similar to the Ravens or 49ers, because frankly, there is no reason we can't make a one season turnaround ala the 2011 9ers given the talent-level of the team. Further, this person should be capable of implementing an aggressive down-field offense upon drafting a real QB.

3) We must draft a franchise QB. It will take a lot of time for me to assess the best options in the 2013 draft. However, right away I can say this class may be deeper than the last but does not have as much cream at the top.
I agree with this for the most part, but call me crazy I'm just not ready to give up on Crennel after 2 games and Im frustrated as much as anyone on this board. One reason I am not ready to give up on RAC just yet is because I would like to see how he coaches with a QB that can bring him back from a 14 deficit. I believe Cassel plays a lot more of a role in how he plays our D then we realize. These are still the same guys that beat the unbeatable Green Bay team minus the QB, who was not a star but better than Cassel, Kyle Orton. U know the D has looked bad these last two games, but could it be that RAC was thinking if he gets aggressive and they get burned by it Cassel would not be able to bring them back. Remember it is Pioli that wants Cassel, Romeo wanted Orton back and I'm sure he realizes his starting QB's weaknesses and is forced to keep him. Before Romeo is given up on I want to see him with a better QB. I believe he will get there and if he doesn't I will hand him the pink slip, but he at least deserves the same amount of time that Haley got.

BigMeatballDave
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree with this for the most part, but call me crazy I'm just not ready to give up on Crennel after 2 games

What about after 3 games when Brees puts up 400 yards?

Molitoth
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
preseason counts imo. We've been obliterated in 5 straight games.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
I will disagree with you here. I'm not a fan of Pioli. But I don't think it's a problem of filling a roster for an antiquated scheme.

It's the Carl Peterson syndrome. Build a very good team and undermine that with a few unbelievably stubborn croneyist moves.

Nightfyre
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I think you misread my post. I really like the talent on the roster. The scheme is antiquated.

chiefzilla1501
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
I think you misread my post. I really like the talent on the roster. The scheme is antiquated.

I don't agree with that.

The scheme on offense is stupid run by a stupid coach.

I don't know why people have a problem with the 2-gap. I'm not a real firm believer in the 2-gap, but I do think Romeo is a tremendous 2-gap coordinator. The problem isn't scheme. It's that our defense is soft, we have a tremendous liability at the "QB" of the defense (nose tackle), and our defensive coordinator isn't really coordinating our defense.

I think blaming the scheme is a convenient excuse in a catch-all that the team in its entirety is flawed. I don't buy it. The defense was very good to close last year. THe scheme didn't just magically stop working. The problem is the players within the scheme stopped playing, and it's because our coaching from the top is a complete joke.

Sorter
09-17-2012, 09:31 PM

I don't know why people have a problem with the 2-gap.

Because it is passive and doesn't allow you to get pressure from your base package, which is our 3-4 odd front. Hence why we play the majority of our snaps in our sub package (a 2-3-6 alignment). Playing a 1-gap allows you to have your DEs and your OLB rush the passer, along with your nose. Then you can start incorporating fire-zone concepts as well.

The point is, it is much more difficult to get pressure with your base alignment playing the 2-gap than it is the 1-gap.

L.A. Chieffan
09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Decosta is the heir apparent in Baltimore. Why the fuck would he come to this clown rodeo?

notorious
09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Clark doesn't have the fucking balls (nor the care) to do anything with Pioli.

The Rick
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Decosta is the heir apparent in Baltimore. Why the fuck would he come to this clown rodeo?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bewbies
09-17-2012, 09:38 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He already gets that in Baltimore. He's paid as much as a GM is.

The Rick
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm guessing he doesn't make as much as Pioli currently makes in Baltimore.

L.A. Chieffan
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess Baltimore doesn't have a billionaire owner. Oh wait, they do.