PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF sunders Cassel

Count Zarth
09-17-2012, 11:44 PM
:hail:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/17/refo-chiefs-bills-week-2/
Kansas City – Three Performances of Note

Feeling the Heat

The one thing that stands out most about Matt Cassel’s display (a performance whose numbers were padded by some late garbage time yards and touchdowns) was just how poor he was when pressured. On his 15 drop-backs under duress he was sacked five times, ran once, and otherwise completed only two of nine passes. While he came out with a marginal -0.8 grade, his work under pressure netted him a -3.7 against +2.0 when given time. Worse, when blitzed, he completed only one 6-yard pass. This is a veteran NFL quarterback but those numbers are more reminiscent of a rookie, and a poor one at that.

As You Were?

One of the bright spots of the 2010 NFL year for the Chiefs was the play of then rookie, Tony Moeaki (-2.2). Not only did his pass catching skills look the part but it appeared he may be one of those rarest of things; a receiving tight end who could block. When injury took away the whole of his 2011 season, it was a blow to fans — not just of the Chiefs, but of the game itself.

He’s back but not, so far, as we remember him. Despite being in pass routes for 46 plays he caught only one ball; a 9-yarder against the Bills’ second string with 2:11 left in the game. Add to this some sub-optimal pass and run blocking and things need to improve quickly. The way Mark Anderson threw him aside to tackle Peyton Hillis with 3:45 left in the third was an indication of his fall.

Secret Superstar

If there was one player on the Chiefs who stood out as playing well it was Justin Houston (+2.2). While as a pass rusher his single hit and hurry may be considered below average against a normal offense, going against the Bills, who get rid of the ball so quickly, it was certainly creditable and made up half the total pressure the Chiefs achieved as a team. However, it was in run defense he really shone and his change of direction and ability to get to the sideline quickly were shown time and again. Although not a run, watch the way he tracks down the lightning-fast C.J. Spiller on a flare with 9:42 left in the second.

Buffalo – Three Performances of Note

Taking the Strain

While he got the win, this was hardly Ryan Fitzpatrick’s finest hour (+0.7) and he had much to thank his new starting halfback, C.J. Spiller (+2.8) for. Averaging 8.2 yards a carry (with 78 after contact), this was a superb display, particularly as he also generated 47 yards on receptions. The fact that 52 of these came after the catch shows that they were really just elongated handoffs.

He’s not being asked to stay in to pass block much (a real strength of the injured Fred Jackson) but he did a good job in that regard last year so it appears for the time being at least, the Bills will not miss their Week 1 starter too much.

Maturing Nicely

We could talk about how well defensive tackle Kyle Williams (+4.4) played, but we’ll save that for our game ball shall we? Instead let’s talk about someone that got lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree last week and did rather better here. Rookie Stephon Gilmore played almost exclusively at right corner and gave up only five receptions on 11 targets. The fact that the biggest of those catches, the 26-yarder to Jonathan Baldwin, came well into garbage time shouldn’t be ignored. What was especially pleasing was of the three balls thrown to Dwayne Bowe he gave up none.

There were the two penalties — the hold on Steve Breaston and the stupid twelve men affair — but this was a markedly better showing and one much more befitting his high draft status.

Covering Thing Up

While the RCB spot is looking close to be locked up for some time, the LCB position is in flux. The Bills rotated both Aaron Williams (45 snaps at LCB) and Terrence McGee (22) and neither played well. Between them they gave up receptions on nine of 14 targets for 108 yards and two touchdowns and a cumulative coverage grade of -2.4 including missing three tackles.

They will play far better quarterbacks than Matt Cassel soon and, if the Bills have playoff aspirations, this is an area of concern.

Game Notes

- For the Chiefs, WR Steve Beaston’s salary cap number in 2012 is $4.5M. He ran 29 pass routes and was only targeted once; courtesy of being the closest Chief to the Hail Mary at the end of the game.

- Before leaving the game with an injury, Bill’s rookie LT Cordy Glenn had only given up a single hurry despite playing against Tamba Hali for a large proportion of snaps.

- On 15 running plays, Nick Barnett made three tackles all of which were stops for a Run Stop Percentage of 20%.

Game Ball

I know I blew it earlier but even people who didn’t watch the game probably know that Bills DT Kyle Williams was once again the best player on the field. Two sacks, two hurries, and a controlled performance against the run gives him this game ball by some margin.

The Bad Guy
09-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I really, really wonder what the fuck they watch at Arrowhead to keep trotting Cassel out there.

KC native
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Teams are going to blitz the shit out of us until Mark makes them pay for it.

Count Zarth
09-17-2012, 11:50 PM
The Breaston thing is some bullshit.

Some bullshit.

Count Zarth
09-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Just looking at the PFF game stats now.

Abram Elam gave up 4 catches for 77 yards.

Nice pickup Scott.

BossChief
09-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Teams are going to blitz the shit out of us until Mark makes them pay for it.

Haha

Makes em pay for it.

Thinking that's gonna happen is like believing in the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

Game 6 or the whole regime can GTFO.

L.A. Chieffan
09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Cassell was facing extreme pressure. QBs get sacked when they don't have enough time. Cassell looked really good when he wasn't getting DDTed to the ground.

BossChief
Clay, clear some PMs.

pr_capone
I know that the only reason I will continue going to Chiefs games this season, other than the fact that I cannot return the tickets, is for the sheer hope that I get to watch Kasl have a CEI live.

KC native
09-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Haha

Makes em pay for it.

Thinking that's gonna happen is like believing in the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

Game 6 or the whole regime can GTFO.

I didn't say I thought it would happen. I just said what would happen. Mark gets benched by the bye week IMO.

KC native
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Cassell was facing extreme pressure. QBs get sacked when they don't have enough time. Cassell looked really good when he wasn't getting DDTed to the ground.

I thought your trolling schtick was amusing at first. It's getting a little tired now.

Rain Man
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Kyle Williams was indeed the Godzilla to our Tokyo.

L.A. Chieffan
09-17-2012, 11:59 PM
I thought your trolling schtick was amusing at first. It's getting a little tired now.

Am I wrong?

KC native
09-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Am I wrong?

Have you ever gone so far as to?

Chocolate Hog
09-18-2012, 12:00 AM
I really, really wonder what the **** they watch at Arrowhead to keep trotting Cassel out there.

Their ego.

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2012, 12:01 AM
I bet a lot of qbs have a worse rating facing the kind of pressure Matt did compared to when they have time.

BossChief
09-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Him facing that pressure is a direct result of what he has displayed on the field the last 4 years.

His release is slow, so if you get to him quick, he can't get the ball out
His thinking is slower so it wouldn't even matter if he had Tony Romos quick release
He is a mental pussy that stares right at the rush instead of his receivers
He is high anxiety, so if you pressure him once or twice..that's all he thinks about the rest of the game
After 4 years starting, he still doesn't understand the concept of hot reads
He doesn't trust hos own arm so the safeties can play up towards the line of scrimmage without fear of getting beat deep

I could probably go on with another hundred or so reasons, but those with a brain and a functioning set of eyes get the picture....as do his own teammates.

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Odd that Cassell was getting his ass kicked in the first half and then once they decided to give him time and open up the playbook, voila! Success!

Direct contradiction to your statement that after being pressured that's all he thinks about.

BossChief
09-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Haha

They were throwing high school kids out there to play defense at that point letting us complete passes to keep the clock running...
Shit...

I got trolled.

KCrockaholic
09-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Random:

We've basically been playing Eric Berry as a linebacker these past 2 games.

88% of run snaps had Berry in the box at the time of the snap. That's 20% more than the 2nd closest guy, Charles Woodson.

We really aren't using Berry to his full potential.

Berry also leads all safeties in pass rush snaps (blitzes)

gold_and_red
09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Has Pioli been asked what qualities he sees in Cassel to leave him as the unquestioned starter for 4 years?

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Where are the full game rankings? C'mon Clay, don't hold out on us.

And give us the cowboys game too so we can see Carr's stats.

Saccopoo
09-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Random:

We've basically been playing Eric Berry as a linebacker these past 2 games.

88% of run snaps had Berry in the box at the time of the snap. That's 20% more than the 2nd closest guy, Charles Woodson.

We really aren't using Berry to his full potential.

Eric Berry is a linebacker.

That's what he was last season.

When he is asked to cover tight ends, he is getting killed.

He's beast in run defense, but, for whatever reason, he isn't getting the job done in pass defense.

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Eh, there's not much noteworthy. You know what happened.

Albert had a very good game.

Lilja gave up 2 sacks.

Asamoah fail.

Safeties were all in the red.

Houston had a good game, though.

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
I really, really wonder what the fuck they watch at Arrowhead to keep trotting Cassel out there.

Scott is too busy searching for candy wrappers to worry about mundane details like QB play.

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I need cold hard numbers

BigMeatballDave
Eh, there's not much noteworthy. You know what happened.

Albert had a very good game.

Lilja gave up 2 sacks.

Asamoah fail.

Safeties were all in the red.

Houston had a good game, though.Asamoah has regressed so far this yr.

L.A. Chieffan
just give me Routt and Carr's rankings

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 12:18 AM
just give me Routt and Carr's rankings

Carr hasn't been updated, fuckstick, or I would.

KCrockaholic
09-18-2012, 12:19 AM
PFF is giving some VERY favorable ratings to the QB's for some reason. There's no reason Cassel should be in the green. Even after his decent first half against Atl.

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Fucking PFF SLACKERS!

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2012, 12:21 AM
PFF is giving some VERY favorable ratings to the QB's for some reason. There's no reason Cassel should be in the green. Even after his decent first half against Atl.

Garbage time in Buffalo.

BossChief
09-18-2012, 12:23 AM

Garbage time ftl.

KCrockaholic
09-18-2012, 12:24 AM
IDK who Corey White is for New Orleans...But we need to put Baldwin or Bowe on him ALL day next week. He's given up a 91% catch rate so far this year.

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Bright spot: Albert is the #5 rated LT.

Gonna get paid son.

New World Order
09-18-2012, 12:39 AM

His protection was good in the first half

New World Order
09-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Him facing that pressure is a direct result of what he has displayed on the field the last 4 years.

His release is slow, so if you get to him quick, he can't get the ball out
His thinking is slower so it wouldn't even matter if he had Tony Romos quick release
He is a mental pussy that stares right at the rush instead of his receiversHe is high anxiety, so if you pressure him once or twice..that's all he thinks about the rest of the game
After 4 years starting, he still doesn't understand the concept of hot reads
He doesn't trust hos own arm so the safeties can play up towards the line of scrimmage without fear of getting beat deep

I could probably go on with another hundred or so reasons, but those with a brain and a functioning set of eyes get the picture....as do his own teammates.

What are you talking about? You're crazy

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/sack.gif

Saccopoo
09-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Actually, I want to know why our left tackle is sitting there, not engaged with anyone and watching his QB getting killed while the TE assigned to his side is taking on a defender and getting pushed.

Phobia
09-18-2012, 12:47 AM
IDK who Corey White is for New Orleans...But we need to put Baldwin or Bowe on him ALL day next week. He's given up a 91% catch rate so far this year.

What? How does that work, exactly?

New World Order
09-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Actually, I want to know why our left tackle is sitting there, not engaged with anyone and watching his QB getting killed while the TE assigned to his side is taking on a defender and getting pushed.

Cassel could of easily avoided the sack there, it's almost like he purposely steps right infront of the rushing DE.

gold_and_red
09-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Cassel could of easily avoided the sack there, it's almost like he purposely steps right infront of the rushing DE.

Cassel simply does not anticipate routes! I would like to see GIFs of at least one 20 yard throw where the ball was released before the WR even came out of his break. Couple that with his slow release and retarted football brain, you have a human statue waiting to be blown up in the pocket...
And 63M $ for this s****, wow just wow!!

chiefzilla1501
09-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Am I wrong?

Behind our offensive line, Kyle Orton, a completely immobile QB, took only one sack in 4 games.

Orton, like any starting QB, knows how to recognize the blitz and adjust the protections. He knows how to hit the hot route. And he knows how to slide in the pocket to avoid pressure. I have only seen Cassel move in one direction to avoid pressure -- forward into the pocket, except for the instances where pressure forces him to scramble.

He has one of the worst pocket awareness I've ever seen. Against Atlanta, he had an unbelievable amount of time to throw the ball. QBs shouldn't have to have that much time to succeed.

chiefzilla1501
09-18-2012, 05:44 AM

First of all, let's point out how open his dump off is. If he gets that ball to him in the middle of the field, he's going for 10-15 yards. Secondly... JFC, the pass rusher on the right side is getting pancaked. How does Cassel not have any awareness that his pocket is going to be unbelievably clean on the right of him? Even if he scrambled left or right, the pass rusher was blocked enough on the left that Cassel could have bought himself 5 more seconds to throw.

This is absolutely despicable. Any good QB would have spotted the rush coming from a mile away. And they would have seen the million of spots to run to and hit those spots before the pass rusher came close to touching him. His pocket awareness is like a horse walking around with blinders.

BoneKrusher
09-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Cassell was facing extreme pressure. QBs get sacked when they don't have enough time..
and every DC in the NFL knows this.

well bye Matt.

Rausch
09-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Gannon's arm, Girbac's brain, Huards toughness in the pocket.

The WORST qualities of a flawed bunch...

Count Zarth
09-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Don't forget Thigpen's accuracy.

And Green's contract.

FringeNC
09-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Everyone in the world understands Matt Cassel handles pressure like a 5th round rookie.....except Scott Pioli, who keeps believing Cassel will develop.

Ace Gunner
09-18-2012, 07:25 AM
The Breaston thing is some bullshit.

Some bullshit.

Looks like Daboll has the same tunnel vision of offense Cassel has. For an offense that was spreading the ball around during exhibition season, they sure have narrowed it down.

Rausch
09-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Funny how every OC is retarded once he has to work with Ca$$hole...

TEX
09-18-2012, 07:27 AM
They nailed Cassel exactly as he is.

Lzen
09-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Behind our offensive line, Kyle Orton, a completely immobile QB, took only one sack in 4 games.

Orton, like any starting QB, knows how to recognize the blitz and adjust the protections. He knows how to hit the hot route. And he knows how to slide in the pocket to avoid pressure. I have only seen Cassel move in one direction to avoid pressure -- forward into the pocket, except for the instances where pressure forces him to scramble.

He has one of the worst pocket awareness I've ever seen. Against Atlanta, he had an unbelievable amount of time to throw the ball. QBs shouldn't have to have that much time to succeed.

This!

Chiefnj2
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Week 1 against Atlanta the Chiefs faced many several 3rd and longs and the playcalling let Cassel throw for the sticks, which he actually did a fair job on. This week on 3rd and longs it was screens and dumps. They seemed content to try to play for field position.

No, this isn't an excuse for Cassel, just an observation on the game plan.

htismaqe
09-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Exactly.

The excuse is that Cassel has had to work with 5 different coordinators.

I tend to think that it's because they're cycling through coordinators looking for someone - ANYONE - that can turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Deberg_1990
09-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Yea, we already proved this last year....your right.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252836&highlight=line+cassel

Rausch
09-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Yea, we already proved this last year....your right.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252836&highlight=line+cassel

YOU ARE.

YOU ARE.

You're...

Ace Gunner
09-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Ya, good observation. That has been my POV of the whole team really. There are certain players on this team that are going to make any HC/OC/DC look fucking inept. Cassel is def one of them. Not bad for a HS QB though:D

qabbaan
09-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I really hope they bench him soon. I'm so sick of us looking like clowns

Ace Gunner
09-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, right now it appears Romeo is going to go down siding with the glorious master. Daboll is a spineless fool, so nothing he does surprises me. They will stick with Cassel until mid season, at least.

Chiefnj2
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
There is no point starting Cassel if the OL can't protect him and the running game is poor. He simply cannot work in a pass first environment against a pass rush.

Setsuna
09-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Is it possible to block a user? Because all of CP need to collectively block LAChieffan.

Richard_Cuckold
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Cassell sucks

beach tribe
09-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Nice pickup Scott.

Dude is atrocious.

beach tribe
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Exactly.

The excuse is that Cassel has had to work with 5 different coordinators.

I tend to think that it's because they're cycling through coordinators looking for someone - ANYONE - that can turn chicken shit into chicken salad.
And probably the only one who could has come and gone.

ThaVirus
09-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Nice pickup Scott.

That's strange. I thought he was one of the few that seemed like he was in position. I counted more than a couple TD-saving tackles on Spiller. Of course it was after he had already gained at least 10 yards but whatever..

Eric Berry is a linebacker.

That's what he was last season.

When he is asked to cover tight ends, he is getting killed.

He's beast in run defense, but, for whatever reason, he isn't getting the job done in pass defense.

What? He weighs 200 lbs. He's extremely physical but no way do I want him in the box on every play. With his size, and unspectacular block shedding ability, he'll end up getting washed more often than not. I'd really rather see him playing FS; I want him to be the centerfielding ballhawk. I think it would show off his skills and prolong his career.

Bowser
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm going to beat this gif to death this season....

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4vm96X62j1qj3ir1.gif

whoman69
09-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Cassel sucks. Who knew?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2012, 12:52 PM

"The Arrogance and Pride Show"!

Tribal Warfare
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Is it possible to block a user? Because all of CP need to collectively block LAChieffan.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/tampermonkey/

http://userscripts.org/scripts/search?q=Vbulletin+ignore&submit=

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/88463

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/24465

download the bold one first and all of these greasemonkey scripts

when you go the page that displays the scripts right click to open to show containing folder then when you see the script right click that then select edit when you see the @ include: part delete the website given replace it with this http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/140565

and this is Daface's universal ignore script