PDA

View Full Version : Elections Professor makes class sign “Vote for Obama” pledge

mikey23545
09-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Well, here's how you try to win a swing state, I guess...

Professor makes class sign “Vote for Obama” pledge

A citizen, whose nephew attends Brevard Community College, reports that he brought home the below bookmark pledging to vote for President Obama. The bookmark and pledge was handed out during a mathematics class taught by Assistant Professor Sharon Sweet. This occurred “while the student was in class at the request of his College Algebra teacher, Sharon Sweet, from Brevard Community College in [Melbourne] Florida.”

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3439/gottavoteobamabookmark1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/gottavoteobamabookmark1.jpg/)

On the tear away GOTTAVOTE.org pledge form that students recieved, was the requirement to “state their party affiliation”. The student reported that Sweet has repeatedly stated her personal political views in support of President Obama in class. The student noted, “There is an older gentleman in the class that will argue with her but he said most of the students did not.”

GOTTAVOTE.org is a site paid for by the Obama-Biden campaign to urge Floridians to register and vote. The website is targeted at young voters. It appears Sweet may have violated the College’s harassment policy by handing out the GOTTA VOTE pledge. The Brevard Community College policy on harassment states:

Definition of Harassment:

Harassment is any repeated or unwelcome verbal or physical abuse which intimidates or causes the recipient discomfort or humiliation or which interferes with the recipient’s educational or job performance. Any form of harassment related to an employee’s, applicant’s, student’s, or student applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, genetics, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender preference, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, ancestry or political affiliation is a violation of this policy. [Emphasis added]

Brevard College policy states, “Any employee or student of this institution, who is found to have harassed another employee or student … will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination, suspension and or expulsion, within the provisions of applicable current College Procedures and Board rules.”

NOTE: According to the Brevard Community College staff directory, Sharon Sweet is an Assistant Professor in the Mathematics Department at the Melbourne Campus. A request for comment has been sent to Ms. Sweet and Ms. Darla Ferguson, Chief Equity & Diversity Officer for Brevard Community College.

UPDATE:

The following was posted as a comment to this column:

Darla Ferguson forwarded your email to me. I am the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Learning Officer for the college. Thank you for referring your concern to us. The college does have specific procedures related to the political activity of faculty and staff. The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

The college first learned of this concern on Thursday and an investigation was initiated. Any inappropriate activities will be curtailed and the faculty will be dealt with according to college policy.

Again, thank you for your concern. The college is taking appropriate actions. We do not want any student to feel coerced.

Linda Miedema, PhD, MSA, BSN

Vice President Academic Affairs

Chief Learning Officer

BCC Administrative Building, Viera

http://watchdogwire.com/florida/2012/09/16/teacher-at-community-college-makes-class-sign-a-pledge-to-vote-for-obama/

LiveSteam
09-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Last vote in is a rotten egg

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I wonder if Ms. Sweet paid taxes when she was employed.?.?

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
The Professor should have known better and should be fired. He probably has tenure though, so he will go unpunished.

listopencil
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Darla Ferguson forwarded your email to me. I am the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Learning Officer for the college.

You didn't build that.

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
The Professor should have known better and should be fired. He probably has tenure though, so he will go unpunished.

He's a she and an "Assistant Professor." I doubt she has tenure.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
(1) How do you know she required students to fill out the pledge?

(2) That doesn't amount to verbal abuse.

(3) She should be talked to, but from this story alone, it doesn't seem worth firing her.

LiveSteam
09-18-2012, 03:36 PM
(1) How do you know she required students to fill out the pledge?

(2) That doesn't amount to verbal abuse.

(3) She should be talked to, but from this story alone, it doesn't seem worth firing her.

no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

That's fine, and it's a good policy. It's not harassment, though.

cosmo20002
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM

"The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property."

Oh my goodness. She handed out a website ad.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
"The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property."

You are such a hypocrite. If the teacher had handed out a website ad supporting Romney, you would be calling for her head.

LiveSteam

Go away AIDS :thumb:

cosmo20002

Let's assume that she screamed profanities at the students while she handed out the material. The article doesn't say she didn't do that.

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd feel abused if I walked into an English class and saw a "VOTE BUSH" poster.

cosmo20002
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
You are such a hypocrite. If the teacher had handed out a website ad supporting Romney, you would be calling for her head.

Not news or threadworthy is the point. BREAKING NEWS! An assistant professor at a Florida community college did something mildly inappropriate!

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM

No, but it is a clear code of conduct violation. It compromises the learning environment of the classroom, and it is an abuse of power by the teacher.

Actually, given that the teacher is an authoritative position over the student, and has power over the student via the gradebook, this can be viewed as harassment. (Vote for Obama, or else you will not get a good grade in this class)

Amnorix
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Should result in her termination. Clearly inappropriate and reflective of horrible, horrible judgment.

Donger
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
It's not harassment, though.

Yes, it is. I'm stunned you'd think otherwise.

HonestChieffan
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
She should be fired and anyone who caved to this wench should have their name published so they never get a job when they graduate. Dumbass teacher with fools for students that cannot think for themselves. But wait. If Obama gets reelected they wont get jobs. No need to publish their names

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 03:50 PM
No, but it is a clear code of conduct violation. It compromises the learning environment of the classroom, and it is an abuse of power by the teacher.

Actually, given that the teacher is an authoritative position over the student, and has power over the student via the gradebook, this can be viewed as harassment. (Vote for Obama, or else you will not get a good grade in this class)

Just tell her you're a violent felon so you can't vote. That should keep your grade up.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Just tell her you're a violent felon so you can't vote. That should keep your grade up.

The student should not have to say anything because they should have never been in that position, that is the whole point.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, it is. I'm stunned you'd think otherwise.

Handing out a flier is not an unwelcome physical or verbal abuse. It's inappropriate, yes.

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
She should be fired and anyone who caved to this wench should have their name published so they never get a job when they graduate. Dumbass teacher with fools for students that cannot think for themselves. But wait. If Obama gets reelected they wont get jobs. No need to publish their names

If they're blacklisted, I guess they'll have to go open a sandwich shop.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm just going by the school's definition of harassment. Abuse seems to strong of a word for handing out a Democratic Party election bookmark.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Handing out a flier is not an unwelcome physical or verbal abuse. It's inappropriate, yes.

No, but a student could easily perceive that by not agreeing with the teacher and supporting Obama, they could be punished with an inferior grade, and that perception is sufficient to make this situation harassment.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
No, but a student could easily perceive that by not agreeing with the teacher and supporting Obama, they could be punished with an inferior grade, and that perception is sufficient to make this situation harassment.

It's a math class. Doesn't that make it different than say, a political science essay-based class?

Donger
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM

Oh, I see that you're being silly. Nevermind.

fan4ever
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't know why, but I'm amazed at some of the people defending this in any way, shape or form. Full retard.

HonestChieffan
If they're blacklisted, I guess they'll have to go open a sandwich shop.

They dont have the skills or the work ethic to make it work

La literatura
Oh, I see that you're being silly. Nevermind.

What's silly? The school's definition of harassment?

mnchiefsguy
It's a math class.

That makes no difference. The teacher could still give an inferior grade if the students did not support her position.

Maybe the teacher should have just focused on teaching Math (her job), instead of trying to drum up support for a political candidate.

La literatura
I don't know why, but I'm amazed at some of the people defending this in any way, shape or form. Full retard.

Do you realize that no one on this board is defending it?

RNR
09-18-2012, 04:01 PM

She will just say don't sweat it, you do not need to show ID anyway! here is a list of names you can use~

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Do you realize that no one on this board is defending it?

I have yet to see you post anything critical of it, and the tone of your posts suggest you support it.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
That makes no difference. The teacher could still give an inferior grade if the students did not support her position.

How? It's very objective.

Donger
09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
What's silly? The school's definition of harassment?

Yes, and yours. It seems like the school is acknowledging that harassment can take place without verbal or physical abuse.

You apparently are not.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I have yet to see you post anything critical of it, and the tone of your posts suggest you support it.

What does this suggest:

(3) She should be talked to . . .

RNR
09-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes, and yours. It seems like the school is acknowledging that harassment can take place without verbal or physical abuse.

You apparently are not.

Jenny is just being Jenny~

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
What does this suggest:

(3) She should be talked to . . .

This suggests that she should not be held accountable for her actions, and sent back to the classroom with no consequences.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:06 PM

You apparently are not.

It seems like you are trying to fit everything you dislike into the school's definition of harassment, and then suggesting that the school has other forms of harassment not laid out in their policy. Do you have any evidence for that?

Pitt Gorilla

Maybe the teacher should have just focused on teaching Math (her job), instead of trying to drum up support for a political candidate.In most cases, the teacher could not do that. Learning outcomes and grading procedures typically have to be clearly documented in the syllabus. The rules may be different at particular private colleges (and likely vary somewhat state to state), but it's likely that these things would be fairly clearly spelled out at a state-funded community college.

La literatura
This suggests that she should not be held accountable for her actions, and sent back to the classroom with no consequences.

She should be warned. Not fired.

Donger
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
It seems like you are trying to fit everything you dislike into the school's definition of harassment, and then suggesting that the school has other forms of harassment not laid out in their policy. Do you have any evidence for that?

Yeah, I do. Please pay particular attention to the bolded part.

Darla Ferguson forwarded your email to me. I am the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Chief Learning Officer for the college. Thank you for referring your concern to us. The college does have specific procedures related to the political activity of faculty and staff. The expectation is that no employee of the College shall solicit support of any political candidate during regular work hours or on College property.

The college first learned of this concern on Thursday and an investigation was initiated. Any inappropriate activities will be curtailed and the faculty will be dealt with according to college policy.

Again, thank you for your concern. The college is taking appropriate actions. We do not want any student to feel coerced.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
In most cases, the teacher could not do that. Learning outcomes and grading procedures typically have to be clearly documented in the syllabus. The rules may be different at particular private colleges (and likely vary somewhat state to state), but it's likely that these things would be fairly clearly spelled out at a state-funded community college.

A couple of "pop quizzes", a couple of "lost assignments"....not saying this teacher would have taken it that far, but to think that it could not happen is being a bit naive.

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
They dont have the skills or the work ethic to make it work

Is the same true for Ohio State students that registered as republicans at Romney's appearance?

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
A couple of "pop quizzes", a couple of "lost assignments"....not saying this teacher would have taken it that far, but to think that it could not happen is being a bit naive.What are you talking about? The "pop quizzes" would have to be related to the learning objectives. A "lost assignment" would look much worse for the instructor than the student. If there was a question about a grade, the student would have the opportunity to offer evidence regarding performance.

Have you never been in a college course?

RNR
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
A couple of "pop quizzes", a couple of "lost assignments"....not saying this teacher would have taken it that far, but to think that it could not happen is being a bit naive.

To say a teacher cannot intimidate a student is beyond naive and disingenuous at best~

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I'd be far more likely to have my vote swayed if my math teacher wore a short skirt that said Obama rather than her giving me a bookmark.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 04:19 PM
To say a teacher cannot intimidate a student is beyond naive and disingenuous at best~

Exactly. If it is impractical or improbable that a teacher would or could give an inferior threat does not preclude the teacher using intimidation and harassment to get their way.

RNR
09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Exactly. If it is impractical or improbable that a teacher would or could give an inferior threat does not preclude the teacher using intimidation and harassment to get their way.

It is times like this when people show poor form trying to defend or rationalize unacceptable behavior trying to defend the brand they support. It happens on both sides, but it also measures the persons creditability~

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Exactly. If it is impractical or improbable that a teacher would or could give an inferior threat does not preclude the teacher using intimidation and harassment to get their way.Granted, I didn't experience what must have been intimidating experiences for you in college, but I don't doubt that they exist. I simply understand the administrative consequences of such actions that make them highly unlikely.

jjjayb
09-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Not news or threadworthy is the point. BREAKING NEWS! An assistant professor at a Florida community college did something mildly inappropriate!

That's laughable. Look at all of the "threadworthy" threads you and your buddies Diflecshun and lightcries post every 5 minutes.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I do. Please pay particular attention to the bolded part.

:spock:

Okay. That's great. I have no idea why you think handing out a bookmark is harassment in the school's eyes.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
It is times like this when people show poor form trying to defend or rationalize unacceptable behavior trying to defend the brand they support. It happens on both sides, but it also measures the persons creditability~

It is times like these when we get your bland moralizing that is really just a far fetched exaggeration of people's actual statements. I don't think this math teacher should be fired for handing out an Obama or Romney bookmark. An Adolf Hitler bookmark? Okay, that's plainly offensive, and grounds for termination.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Granted, I didn't experience what must have been intimidating experiences for you in college, but I don't doubt that they exist. I simply understand the administrative consequences of such actions that make them highly unlikely.

The teacher does not need to take the action, the teacher merely needs to insure that the student believes that the teacher has the power and the means to do it. Intimidation is a powerful weapon, whether or not the action behind the intimidation are done or not.

fan4ever
09-18-2012, 04:50 PM

You're being nice; I think it's pathetic...and surprised at some of the participants; people whom I often disagree with but thought still owned some level of objective thought.

RNR
09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
It is times like these when we get your bland moralizing that is really just a far fetched exaggeration of people's actual statements. I don't think this math teacher should be fired for handing out an Obama or Romney bookmark. An Adolf Hitler bookmark? Okay, that's plainly offensive, and grounds for termination.

Ok Jenny LMAO

Donger
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
:spock:

Okay. That's great. I have no idea why you think handing out a bookmark is harassment in the school's eyes.

I suggest you ask the school if you really must know their thinking. It seems to be rather clear that they believe that coercion could be construed with these actions and that perhaps their definition of harassment (verbal and physical) was too limited. But, you've already had that explained to you.

Donger
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Why? It's neither verbal nor physical abuse. Therefore, it isn't harassment, right?

qabbaan
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
It would be fun to sign the pledge as Mr. F*** You and the sue after he fails you.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I suggest you ask the school if you really must know their thinking. It seems to be rather clear that they believe that coercion could be construed with these actions and that perhaps their definition of harassment (verbal and physical) was too limited. But, you've already had that explained to you.

No, I really don't care. I guess we'll find out what the school thinks in a few days. But from the opening post, I believe this isn't sufficient for harassment.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Why? It's neither verbal nor physical abuse. Therefore, it isn't harassment, right?

Correct, a one time handing out of a Hitler bookmark wouldn't be harassment, per the school's definition.

RNR
09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Correct, a one time handing out of a Hitler bookmark wouldn't be harassment, per the school's definition.

You are a joke that everyone gets but you~

Donger
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Correct. So why would that be justifiable grounds for termination per school definition?

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
The teacher does not need to take the action, the teacher merely needs to insure that the student believes that the teacher has the power and the means to do it. Intimidation is a powerful weapon, whether or not the action behind the intimidation are done or not.There was a quote by a CP member in this forum a day or so about people choosing whether or not to be offended. I would argue that the same likely applies to being intimidated in a classroom setting. I'm sure there are legitimate cases, but it sounds like some of you are looking to be the victim.

Dick Bull
09-18-2012, 06:44 PM
It's okay. Romney called 47% of us victims. She was preparing them for that future role.

mnchiefsguy
09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
There was a quote by a CP member in this forum a day or so about people choosing whether or not to be offended. I would argue that the same likely applies to being intimidated in a classroom setting. I'm sure there are legitimate cases, but it sounds like some of you are looking to be the victim.

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the actions of this teacher have no place in our classrooms, and that she willfully engaged in misconduct, and she should be held accountable for her actions.

listopencil
09-18-2012, 06:57 PM

I would say that her actions were definitely wrong. The flier is obviously meant to drum up support for a particular candidate. She's electioneering in her classroom. It's inappropriate behavior. The school administrator(s) will have to determine if any harassment took place. It's certainly possible that this was done without any actual harassment.

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the actions of this teacher have no place in our classrooms, and that she willfully engaged in misconduct, and she should be held accountable for her actions.I agree with every bit of that and think that the punishment should be harsh. There is often not enough time to cover the material that really needs to be learned; spending time on this kind of crap makes absolutely no sense to me.

Dick Bull
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the actions of this teacher have no place in our classrooms, and that she willfully engaged in misconduct, and she should be held accountable for her actions.
Before you run and whip the pta into a frenzy....

It's a college class room. It's not a high school class room, grade school etc,

It's not "our classrooms" it's that colleges classrooms, which in turn is a private college.

It's not all apples and roses. The idea is to think for yourself in college. I agree that it probably shouldn't have happened but I would have the same lack of outrage if the teacher would've done that to me in my classes with Mitt Romney.

KChiefer
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Looks like she's already taken unpaid leave. While she shouldn't have done this, I'm still wondering how she "MADE" the students fill out this form. This blurb and anything else I've read say nothing of how this was presented to the students.

Other things I've read say she's an Associate Professor. Is that interchangeable with Assistant?

Another says she was tenured after only being there for 5 years. Really? Does transferring from another school count towards tenure or something?

Lastly, I read she made about 40K per year. She must be an anomaly in Romney's 53%.

Dick Bull
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
This is nothing. Today my professor said fuck.

all hells bound to break loose.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Correct. So why would that be justifiable grounds for termination per school definition?

Under harassment? It wouldn't be. Under some other policy? Probably.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
You are a joke that everyone gets but you~

Aw, shucks.

cosmo20002
09-18-2012, 08:41 PM
That's laughable. Look at all of the "threadworthy" threads you and your buddies Diflecshun and lightcries post every 5 minutes.

I'm not responsible for them. And this is a minor issue involving a teacher at a community college doing something mildly stupid. Big deal.

petegz28
09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Should result in her termination. Clearly inappropriate and reflective of horrible, horrible judgment.

Agreed. Especially in a fucking math class!

petegz28
09-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Schools need to get the fuck out of politics PERIOD!

If I pay to go to college somewhere I am most certainly not paying for someone who is supposed to be teaching me math to shove their political agenda down my throat.

La literatura
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Schools need to get the **** out of politics PERIOD!

If I pay to go to college somewhere I am most certainly not paying for someone who is supposed to be teaching me math to shove their political agenda down my throat.

For all we know, this teacher is just having some fun at the beginning and end of class, talking about Obama. It'd be nice to get her side of the story, and other students', before we rally to burn her.

Dick Bull
09-18-2012, 09:17 PM
For all we know, this teacher is just having some fun at the beginning and end of class, talking about Obama. It'd be nice to get her side of the story, and other students', before we rally to burn her.

Exactly. Apparently 1 student is the only non obama supporter who is outraged. Also, it seems to me that the student wasn't as outraged as the student's uncle.

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Schools need to get the **** out of politics PERIOD!

If I pay to go to college somewhere I am most certainly not paying for someone who is supposed to be teaching me math to shove their political agenda down my throat.Oh, Good Lord. No need to be such a baby. Isn't the fact that this teacher got into trouble over this evidence that schools do tend to keep politics out of the classroom?

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2012, 06:16 AM
That something like that would be circulated is highly inappropriate.

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2012, 06:26 AM
I am reading the thread...The only way I think that teacher should be fired is dependent upon their personal file. Is this the first write-up? Then no. If it's the 5th, then yeah. Its probably time to cut the losses.

AndChiefs
09-19-2012, 06:27 AM

Yeah, when I want to have some fun before or after my business meetings I always bring up Obama or Romney. It really helps to lighten the mood and focus everyone.

InChiefsHell
09-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Hey, they gotta get the word out to vote...so what if it's inappropriate. Send me your wedding gifts, send me your pizza night money...some might say that's lame or even desperate, but some say it's just creative outside the box thinking.

This silly teacher being an Obot and thinking it's appropriate to bring this stuff into her Math class is nothing really new. It's the way Obama supporters think. Get that word out any way you can, even if it might get you into trouble. If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.