PDA

View Full Version : Media Anybody watching 60 minutes?

J Diddy
09-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Whole hour of Romney and Obama.

cdcox
09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
This is the best Romney has looked in this entire campaign.

ChiefsCountry
09-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Worked out good saw Romney and now can switch over to NBC without seeing the scumbag Obama.

jiveturkey
09-23-2012, 07:31 PM

That's precisely what I was coming here to say.

chiefzilla1501
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
They're lobbing softballs at Obama.

J Diddy
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Worked out good saw Romney and now can switch over to NBC without seeing the scumbag Obama.

Please call me a blind sheep now. At least I listen to what the other side is saying.

That being said he sounded good. I thought he was incredibly vague and when he did talk specifics it became clear the rich (and in particular his wallet) are what's going to drive his tax policy.

Furthermore, for all the crying about uneven media exposure, I find it odd that they air this with Romney being able to address the current hot topics, while Obama's interview was on Sept. 12th.

J Diddy
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
They're lobbing softballs at Obama.

What are you watching?

suzzer99
09-23-2012, 07:59 PM
New 12-step-program: drink whenever Romney gives a straight answer.

BigRedChief
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
They're lobbing softballs at Obama.WTF? what the hell were you watching?

tredadda
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Please call me a blind sheep now. At least I listen to what the other side is saying.

That being said he sounded good. I thought he was incredibly vague and when he did talk specifics it became clear the rich (and in particular his wallet) are what's going to drive his tax policy.

Furthermore, for all the crying about uneven media exposure, I find it odd that they air this with Romney being able to address the current hot topics, while Obama's interview was on Sept. 12th.

I didn't see that.

chiefzilla1501
09-23-2012, 10:42 PM
WTF? what the hell were you watching?

I have to admit, it was one of the tougher interviews on Obama. Toward the end of the first segment, he started to really press a bit on some tougher questions.

But the questions were softballs. Almost every statement Romney made was challenged. The questioning on Romney was very, very good. Why not the same treatment for Obama? The focus of the in-fighting with Congress was based on "why haven't you struck a deal on cutting taxes for the rich?" Why was there no questioning of why he hasn't passed a budget, even with a democratic congress? Why no mention of Bob Woodward's book? I thought the economic questions were complete softballs. Rather than really dig into Obama, he basically framed the questions as "Romney said you believe this..." And why not really poke into the details of the bailout? Or challenge any point Obama made?

I actually don't think it was so much softball questions as much as it was a really unskilled interview. The questions were canned.

Aries Walker
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I missed it.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I didn't see that.

I'll tell you what brought me to that conclusion. He states that the tax rates would come down but some exemptions would be gone(rather vaguely I might add), then he defended the capital gains rates.

So out of Romney tonight we got taxes coming down, some mysterious undisclosed write offs would go away, capital gains are staying the same and "maybe the middle class will see a little break."

CoMoChief
09-24-2012, 12:48 AM
Obama is nothing but a liar....and is completely relying on the American people to once again believe the bullshit rhetoric that spews from his ass and not look at the real facts.

Did they ask him about NDAA?

dmahurin
09-24-2012, 02:27 AM
New 12-step-program: drink whenever Romney gives a straight answer.

How am I supposed to get drunk then? I'll go with drink every time Romney/Obama don't give a straight answer. I'll be fucked up in no time.

Aries Walker
09-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Obama is nothing but a liar....and is completely relying on the American people to once again believe the bullshit rhetoric that spews from his ass and not look at the real facts.

Did they ask him about NDAA?
Something tells me he's not going to get your vote.

Call it a hunch.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 09:18 AM
I'll tell you what brought me to that conclusion. He states that the tax rates would come down but some exemptions would be gone(rather vaguely I might add), then he defended the capital gains rates.

So out of Romney tonight we got taxes coming down, some mysterious undisclosed write offs would go away, capital gains are staying the same and "maybe the middle class will see a little break."

That's what people who care about economic growth talk like.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 09:19 AM
How am I supposed to get drunk then? I'll go with drink every time Romney/Obama don't give a straight answer. I'll be ****ed up in no time.

He said it was a 12 Step Program, not a drinking game.

HonestChieffan
09-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Things that make you go Hmmmmmm

Tonight, CBS aired a 60 Minutes interview with President Obama. But curiously enough, the news magazine show did not air a clip of Obama admitting to interviewer Steve Kroft that some of his campaign ads contain mistakes and that some even “go overboard.”

60 Minutes did, however, post the clip online.

CBS describes the clip this way: “President Obama says some of his campaign ads might ‘go overboard’ or contain mistakes, but most of them simply highlight the differences between him and Gov. Romney.”

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/cbs-doesnt-air-obama-admitting-mistakes-campaign-ads_652973.html

ChiefaRoo
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Obama has got to go so we can bring in a clear eyed, pro growth President who will get us growing again via the private market, create jobs and lower debt. As I've said previously Obama is just a guy, a celebrity, he doesn't know how to fix the economy and he doesn't want to learn. Romney is a moderate, a pragmatist and his history is one of success and dogged determination aimed at results. Ryan as his number two will be crucial in working congress and wonking the detail.

Obama can go on the speaking circuit, be President of Harvard and still be a celebrity like a Democratic version of Sarah Palin which is really all he is.

dirk digler
09-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Obama has got to go so we can bring in a clear eyed, pro growth President who will get us growing again via the private market, create jobs and lower debt. As I've said previously Obama is just a guy, a celebrity, he doesn't know how to fix the economy and he doesn't want to learn. Romney is a moderate, a pragmatist and his history is one of success and dogged determination aimed at results. Ryan as his number two will be crucial in working congress and wonking the detail.

Obama can go on the speaking circuit, be President of Harvard and still be a celebrity like a Democratic version of Sarah Palin which is really all he is.

Thanks Ann.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 10:08 AM

QFT

LMAO @ the last sentence.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 10:09 AM
He said it was a 12 Step Program, not a drinking game.

Then he was incorrect.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

What has Romney ever down to lower debt? His business model is saddling companies with debt and jumping ship.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Then he was incorrect.

I'm sure Mitt Romney is surprised by, but grateful for, your support.

ChiefaRoo
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
What has Romney ever down to lower debt? His business model is saddling companies with debt and jumping ship.

No, his business model was to make money and meet his objectives and goals and he did. He will use these skills to tackle the debt and the structural reform that is needed in Washington. Lookit, it's in every Americans interest for us to have a strong dollar. To do that we have to get our spending under control. Once the reforms are in place the tax code can be revised to stimulate businesses (if it's done right they will create new jobs in the USA) take out loop holes and increase revenue to the treasury.

A weak dollar damages us all. It makes our food and energy more expensive. It robs our savings via inflation and it damages our standing in the world. A strong dollar helps us all and it helps the world. We have to get back to fiscal sanity and get our GDP growing robustly again. Romney is the guy for that. Ryan is the perfect number two for that.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm sure Mitt Romney is surprised by, but grateful for, your support.

I was referring to what's his name suggestion that this should be a 12 step program and not a drinking game.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
No, his business model was to make money and meet his objectives and goals and he did. He will use these skills to tackle the debt and the structural reform that is needed in Washington. Lookit, it's in every Americans interest for us to have a strong dollar. To do that we have to get our spending under control. Once the reforms are in place the tax code can be revised to stimulate businesses (if it's done right they will create new jobs in the USA) take out loop holes and increase revenue to the treasury.

A weak dollar damages us all. It makes our food and energy more expensive. It robs our savings via inflation and it damages our standing in the world. A strong dollar helps us all and it helps the world. We have to get back to fiscal sanity and get our GDP growing robustly again. Romney is the guy for that. Ryan is the perfect number two for that.

No, his business model was to prey on weaker companies, saddle them with debt and sale them. How does that translate to a presidency? Besides preying on the poor of course.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I was referring to what's his name suggestion that this should be a 12 step program and not a drinking game.

I know what you were referring to, that's why I said what I said. Did you understand his 12 step comment?

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I know what you were referring to, that's why I said what I said. Did you understand his 12 step comment?

Absolutely.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Absolutely.

I'm glad to hear it. It just surprises me that you'd come to Mitt's defense like that.

ChiefaRoo
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
No, his business model was to prey on weaker companies, saddle them with debt and sale them. How does that translate to a presidency? Besides preying on the poor of course.

You don't understand how venture capitalism works. It's not "Hey we need 30Million because we ran the company into the ground" and the venture cap. guys say "ok" here you go. It's "We need 30Million because we ran the company into the ground" and the Cap guys says "I'm going to take over your board, fire most if not all your Senior execs and cut all the overhead out of the business and if the company still is failing I'm going to sell it off in pieces down to the last out building and acre of land". You're complaining about because the Cap. guys risked their own money to try to turn the bus. around and when it couldn't be turned around they salvaged their investment by selling off the hard assets. Happens all the time in business. Every day all day.

jjjayb
09-24-2012, 01:01 PM
You don't understand how venture capitalism works. It's not "Hey we need 30Million because we ran the company into the ground" and the venture cap. guys say "ok" here you go. It's "We need 30Million because we ran the company into the ground" and the Cap guys says "I'm going to take over your board, fire most if not all your Senior execs and cut all the overhead out of the business and if the company still is failing I'm going to sell it off in pieces down to the last out building and acre of land". You're complaining about because the Cap. guys risked their own money to try to turn the bus. around and when it couldn't be turned around they salvaged their investment by selling off the hard assets. Happens all the time in business. Every day all day.

But it's Evil Chiefaroo, evil I tell you! How dare they try to make a profit! Profit is bad!

Brock
09-24-2012, 01:34 PM
But it's Evil Chiefaroo, evil I tell you! How dare they try to make a profit! Profit is bad!

Yeah! Who cares if a few thousand people had their pensions and health benefits stolen from them!

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 01:35 PM

Agreed. He actually spoke to me in a way that actually had me considering voting for him.

Saul Good
09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah! Who cares if a few thousand people had their pensions and health benefits stolen from them!

What do you think was going to happen when the companies went under on their own?

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 01:40 PM

I can't tell if this is TIC, but WTF....if your sole investment vehicle is your company pension and SS then you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

Brock
09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
What do you think was going to happen when the companies went under on their own?

You mean after Bain drove it into the ground and then somehow walked away with millions of dollars and left taxpayers holding the bag?

Saul Good
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
You mean after Bain drove it into the ground and then somehow walked away with millions of dollars and left taxpayers holding the bag?

I mean if Bain never got involved.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Yep Saul...a sinking ship is a sinking ship.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
I can't tell if this is TIC, but WTF....if your sole investment vehicle is your company pension and SS then you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

Some people can't afford much more than that.

Brock
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Is it okay to steal it if they have other investments besides their pension?

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Some people can't afford much more than that.

Some indeed, but so often when I talk to people out there about their financial literacy they aren't priortizing their objectives properly or they don't have the right objectives to begin with. It's tough, but if life were easy it wouldn't be worth living.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Is it okay to steal it if they have other investments besides their pension?

No...but if the company was gonna go teats up anyway, what are we talking about?

Brock
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
No...but if the company was gonna go teats up anyway, what are we talking about?

How do you walk away with a profit from a mess you made, and leave the government to bail out your obligations to your workers?

KC native
09-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Romney wasn't a venture capitalist. Romney was a LBO private equity guy. Huge difference between the two.

KC native
09-24-2012, 02:14 PM

And Romney wasn't risking Bain's money. They would collect funds from investors, borrow the rest, extract fees, and then stick someone else with the debt.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 02:14 PM
How do you walk away with a profit from a mess you made, and leave the government to bail out your obligations to your workers?

The mess was already there. As far as walking away with a profit....blame tha on the laws we have and amusingly..we ask for more laws.

KC native
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Most of the companies they bought were stable, boring cash generators. They went tits up after Bain loaded them up with unsustainable debt levels.

J Diddy
09-24-2012, 02:16 PM
The mess was already there. As far as walking away with a profit....blame tha on the laws we have and amusingly..we ask for more laws.

I would think a good one to have would be to not to let them do that.

Just saying.

KC native
09-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Go read up on LBOs. You are hopelessly clueless as to how they are structured and how the PE firm gets paid.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Go read up on LBOs. You are hopelessly clueless as to how they are structured and how the PE firm gets paid.

Hopelessly?

LOL. Yeah...I can't learn that at all. :rolleyes:

Now get back to work before I call your company and offer my services to replace you with a script.

Brock
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
lol

http://deadspin.com/5945741/you-built-that-how-mitt-romney-shook-down-american-taxpayers-for-his-welfare-olympics

KC native
09-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Hopelessly?

LOL. Yeah...I can't learn that at all. :rolleyes:

Now get back to work before I call your company and offer my services to replace you with a script.

Lol you guys have such a strong track record when it comes to finance.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Lol you guys have such a strong track record when it comes to finance.

Who is "you guys"?

Put down the beers....there is only one of me.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Bain didn't drive these companies into the ground, unless you count taking over the pilot's seat during a death spiral and being unable to pull the enterprise out of the dive before it hits the ground.

cosmo20002
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Bain didn't drive these companies into the ground, unless you count taking over the pilot's seat during a death spiral and being unable to pull the enterprise out of the dive before it hits the ground.

Wow, that sounds kind of familiar. Like someone had to that around January 2009, but instead was able to steady things and improve the situation.

patteeu
09-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow, that sounds kind of familiar. Like someone had to that around January 2009, but instead was able to steady things and improve the situation.

The US must be GST Steel in that analogy.

ChiefaRoo
09-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Romney wasn't a venture capitalist. Romney was a LBO private equity guy. Huge difference between the two.

You're right I meant to say private equity.

KC native
09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Who is "you guys"?

Put down the beers....there is only one of me.

IT guys dickwad. Are you really that fucking stupid?

KC native
09-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Private equity doesn't buy companies in a death spiral. Bain's typical deal structure called for stable, cash generating businesses preferrably with large cash balances.