PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Romeo: Lilja is starting Center, Allen starting Guard

Ace Gunner
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm happy with this decision. I liked watching Lilja run the offense from the center position and Allen has got to be an improvement at LG during run plays if he develops some.

Romeo also said Hudson has "a broken bone" but would not say specifically which bone it is. He won't be back this season. I'm all for developing a OL guy letting him play through it, but I liked what Lilja brought to the offense last game once he switched to center.

Here's Romeo's presser;

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/From_the_Podium_Romeo_Crennel_92612/57afb20e-4872-42c7-9ece-24679d32e888

Mr. Laz
09-26-2012, 08:08 PM
glad we aren't trying to start one of the new guys

hopefully lilja and Allen will perform well

petegz28
09-26-2012, 08:11 PM
This could be a blessing really. Not that Lilja is better than Hudson at C but he does have more experience but more importantly it gets Allen on the field and a chance to prove he should not be taken off.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I saw Lilja mauling LB's during that game, so ya, he's better than hudson right now. Also, Allen sprung the big block that allowed Jamaal to hit the corner and score.

ThaVirus
09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
I saw Lilja mauling LB's during that game, so ya, he's better than hudson right now. Also, Allen sprung the big block that allowed Jamaal to hit the corner and score.

Did he? I thought someone posted PFF rankings indicating he did a terrible job when he stepped in.

I couldn't tell. Watched the game online and the feed was choppy.

Virtua Chief
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Always the outside chance that we bring Hudson back from IR if need be

Ace Gunner
09-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Whoops, it was Albert not Allen that sealed the edge on Jamaal's run, but you can see Allen pancake the NT during the play. He's a big fella, he'll be good for the run game.

Lilja added spark to the offense with his quick move off the ball. He's small too , so DT's are going to have trouble getting under him. That QB sneak was Lilja's victory up front there.

Ace Gunner
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Always the outside chance that we bring Hudson back from IR if need be

No, Romeo said Hudson is out for the season. "He's not going to be able to come back" said "by the time he's able to come back, season will be over".

milkman
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
This news falls under the category of "Well.....Duh...".

petegz28
09-26-2012, 09:34 PM

In looking back I think he got away with a huge hold as well. He had his right arm around the back of the defender. Methinks the real Refs call that holding and bring it back.

petegz28
09-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Did he? I thought someone posted PFF rankings indicating he did a terrible job when he stepped in.

The line played better for a bit after Lilja moved to C. But after a bit the Saints just started keying on the run and shut it down again but that was more to do the fact they knew we would be running.

JC's 2 biggest runs came with Lilja at C. I think his experience might pay off here at calling the protections and whatnot of Hudson's thought he physical play of Hudson will be missed.

petegz28
09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Well I know it sounds stupid but now we have a veteran playing next to a young guy on the O-line. For whatever that's worth.

ILChief
09-27-2012, 06:13 AM
In looking back I think he got away with a huge hold as well. He had his right arm around the back of the defender. Methinks the real Refs call that holding and bring it back.

Tamba disagrees

htismaqe
09-27-2012, 06:13 AM
I've heard several people that interact with Lilja say there's NO WAY he's much more than about 270. He's the real veteran in the interior line so he should know the protections and be able to make those calls.

Is it possible he's a MUCH better center than guard?

mcaj22
09-27-2012, 06:55 AM

PFF gave him a -3.4 or something. So yes, he was awful

htismaqe
09-27-2012, 06:59 AM

But the overall line was better.

HemiEd
09-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I've heard several people that interact with Lilja say there's NO WAY he's much more than about 270. He's the real veteran in the interior line so he should know the protections and be able to make those calls.

270 is a tad light for a guard, is it not? When I saw him on the sideline up in Green Bay he didn't even look that big to me, but his hair was gray.

boogblaster
09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
its a process .....

Count Zarth
09-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Starting 2 new OL is gonna fuck our shit up against SD's front seven.

Allen's probably gonna get owned by Corey Liuget, he's really good against the run.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Starting 2 new OL is gonna **** our shit up against SD's front seven.

Allen's probably gonna get owned by Corey Liuget, he's really good against the run.

NP - we are a passing team.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Starting 2 new OL is gonna **** our shit up against SD's front seven.

Lilja's lack of arm strength will be negated at C where he can use angles and leverage. He was as perfect for this role as Wiegman was.

Bet.

We'll net 200 rushing yards...

lcarus
09-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Props to Lilja for being able to hop right over to center after that injury. As much shit as I give him, I gotta give him credit for that. Also I'm glad Allen is getting playing time. I was hoping it wouldn't come at the expense of Hudson, but at least it's a draft pick that should pay off sooner than later.

Count Zarth
09-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Lilja's lack of arm strength will be negated at C where he can use angles and leverage. He was as perfect for this role as Wiegman was.

Bet.

We'll net 200 rushing yards...

We won't hit 100.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 09:56 AM
We won't hit 100.

Ace Gunner
09-27-2012, 09:57 AM

tha fuck dude

Sofa King
09-27-2012, 09:58 AM
We won't hit 100.

LMAO

This almost guarantees we'll hit 200.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 09:58 AM

We won't hit 100.

Spit and shake bidge...

Count Zarth
09-27-2012, 10:02 AM
LMAO

This almost guarantees we'll hit 200.

Really? After all the shit I've been right about already, you say this?

San Diego has a very, very good front seven. Borderline elite. We have two new OL.

Bode well, this does not.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 10:04 AM

YOU! SPIT AND SHAKE!:cuss:

http://www.appetitefordeconstruction.com/25char_swearengen.jpg

Ace Gunner
09-27-2012, 10:04 AM
and don't forget the wrath of Jackie Battle

TEX
09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Better have a backup to the backup plan - Lilja is banged up also...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Meh. Whomever makes Casshole look the worst.

Sofa King
09-27-2012, 10:12 AM

San Diego has a very, very good front seven. Borderline elite. We have two new OL.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/16/88944650_2e4f2e2c67.jpg

Rausch
09-27-2012, 10:18 AM
SPIT AND SWEAR!

http://nocivodomingo.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/deadwood-al-toasts.jpg

milkman
09-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I've been on the same page as you for the most part, though not the drama queen about it that you have been.

But I believe you are wrong on this one.

People really don't get how important communication and the right calls are to these guys.

As I said in another thread, in a vacuum, man on man, Husdon is better than Lilja, but Lilja's experience paid dividends for the entire line in New Orleans, and will do so against San Diego.

Allen will be a productive blocker, as will the rest of the line because of that experience.

BossChief
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM

WADR, No way. He looks like he put on weight since last year and I bet he is north of 290.

Count Zarth
09-27-2012, 10:34 PM
I've been on the same page as you for the most part, though not the drama queen about it that you have been.

But I believe you are wrong on this one.

People really don't get how important communication and the right calls are to these guys.

As I said in another thread, in a vacuum, man on man, Husdon is better than Lilja, but Lilja's experience paid dividends for the entire line in New Orleans, and will do so against San Diego.

Allen will be a productive blocker, as will the rest of the line because of that experience.

I just think Lilja is going to get straight up whipped by SD's nose tackles, and Allen simply isn't ready. SD's RE is playing good football, too.

Sofa King
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
We won't hit 100.

119 Rushing Yards.

LMAO