PDA

View Full Version : Football Ref lockout is over. Will you be less critical?

DaFace
09-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Title is pretty self-explanatory. Now that we've seen how bad it COULD be, will fans as a whole cut the real refs a little more slack than we have in past years? Or will we bitch and complain and call for the replacement refs to come back?

BigMeatballDave
09-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I expect much better quality control.

Bugeater
09-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I liked the idea of no refs at all. Motherfucking gladiator football.

wazu
09-26-2012, 10:39 PM
The regular refs are terrible and blow calls constantly. They will continue to feel my wrath.

morphius
09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I expect much better quality control.
I only expect the games to go faster, other than that, just the sos.

Bump
09-26-2012, 10:49 PM
oops I meant to say meh.

I do have to admit, the replacements added some entertainment value, lol.

FAX
09-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't know ... I've seen too many bad calls ... and even worse .... prejudiced calls to think that the new, old refs will reinstill my confidence in the "integrity" of the game.

Spotting will probably improve, but I don't expect them to suddenly start calling holds on Hali.

FAX

alnorth
09-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I'll bitch about as much as before.

Just because we know that they are the best we can do and that the replacements just utterly blew ass, doesn't mean we can't whine when the real refs miss something that hurts the Chiefs.

DaneMcCloud
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Honestly, I've never been too critical. Unless the refs miss something blatant, I think they do a fine job.

The replacements, OTOH...

Phobia
09-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Honestly, I've never been too critical. Unless the refs miss something blatant, I think they do a fine job.

The replacements, OTOH...

Until Monday night, I thought the replacements were an improvement.

DaneMcCloud
09-26-2012, 11:31 PM

I didn't mind them so much in week one but began to see flaws in week two. Week three was a disaster - I'd never seen so many overturned plays as I did in Sunday's Chiefs game and of course, Monday night speaks for itself.

I may be a rare bird but I usually don't get up in arms over calls or non-calls unless they're ridiculously blatant.

alnorth
09-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Well, I thought the 27-yard penalty and the 2 free time outs were incredibly bad too, but when a clear interception turned into a touchdown that was it. The regular guys wouldn't have done THAT.

alnorth
09-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I may be a rare bird but I usually don't get up in arms over calls or non-calls unless they're ridiculously blatant.

Ditto. When I say I'll complain as much as before, thats on a relative basis, because I complain VERY rarely, almost to the point of annoying my friends. Everyone could be booing, but after seeing the replay I'll sometimes be one of the only fans saying "eh... ok, that might have been the right call"

suzzer99
09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
For about a half, yes.

NJChiefsFan
09-27-2012, 12:09 AM
The regular refs are terrible and blow calls constantly. They will continue to feel my wrath.

Yeah, NFL refs were always terrible officials to begin with. I've actually been pretty annoyed recently at the love they are receiving and will receive from the media.

Guru
09-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah, NFL refs were always terrible officials to begin with. I've actually been pretty annoyed recently at the love they are receiving and will receive from the media.

Yeah, that will be insufferable.

NJChiefsFan
09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, that will be insufferable.

Stick Stickly on Sunday Night will be even more unbearable if that's even possible.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-27-2012, 12:16 AM
I think the regular refs are going to get highlighted when they miss calls this weekend as well. They're going to be rusty.

Fritz88
09-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Regular refs blow thier share of calls too.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Regular refs blow thier share of calls too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, sure.

They are human, afterall.

The difference is they've been doing this for years.

You'll very rarely see the ineptitude that we've seen the past 7 weeks from the real refs.

ARROW2
09-27-2012, 12:59 AM
I didn't mind them so much in week one but began to see flaws in week two. Week three was a disaster - I'd never seen so many overturned plays as I did in Sunday's Chiefs game and of course, Monday night speaks for itself.

And they should have been overturned. Are you saying that NO deserved touchdowns on those plays, especially the overturned call in OT when Droughn was down or when the NO receiver's foot was out of bounds at the pylon? Chiefs would have lost with regular officials because they are biased.

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 01:00 AM
I think the regular refs are going to get highlighted when they miss calls this weekend as well. They're going to be rusty.

You're going to see the more illegal contact calls.

The replacements weren't calling those.

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 01:01 AM
And they should have been overturned. Are you saying that NO deserved touchdowns on those plays, especially the overturned call in OT when Droughn was down or when the NO receiver's foot was out of bounds at the pylon? Chiefs would have lost with regular officials because they are biased.

The Saints were screwed out of a TD.

FAX
09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Just so long as they start calling the holds against Hali, I'll be pretty happy. I don't see them altering much otherwise.

I swear, I cannot fathom why they allow him to be throat-chocked and hog-collared and esophagus-squeezed on every single down.

FAX

FAX
09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
The Saints were screwed out of a TD.

Which play was that, might I ask? I missed the entire second half.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Which play was that, might I ask? I missed the entire second half.

FAX

The one where the Saints player fell as he caught it, got up and scored.

They called it a TD on the field, but reviewed it and overturned it.

They got it wrong.

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, I thought the 27-yard penalty and the 2 free time outs were incredibly bad too, but when a clear interception turned into a touchdown that was it. The regular guys wouldn't have done THAT.

Yea but think about it, that play had to be reviewed by the real review teams and was let thru as well

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Yea but think about it, that play had to be reviewed by the real review teams and was let thru as well

But the REAL refs would NEVER have called that a TD.

The REAL refs would have conferred on the field before announcing what the on-field call actually was, which was NOT done Monday night.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Rather than taking forever to get it right, I expect them to make the usual bad calls and then stick by the bad calls after further review.

New World Order
09-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Without these replacement refs we would be 0-3

Aries Walker
09-27-2012, 01:59 AM
I picked the first one, but I haven't ever been critical. NFL refs do a pretty good job, all things considered - anyone who needs convincing of that just needs to watch a World Cup soccer match or two for comparison.

FAX
09-27-2012, 02:05 AM

Which is one of they very strange things about that whole deal. The retired NFL ref guru in the broadcast booth that night (Austin?) said that the review guys could not review possession. This, of course, is very misleading since they review every scoring play, each of which involves possession.

However, in the statement released by the NFL the following day, they revealed that the review dudes could, in fact, review possession in that situation.

So, it's possible that the review dudes did not know what the hell to do and simply said, "Inconclusive" and sent it back to the field. Of course, if the field officials had called touchback, they would probably have done the same thing.

I'm not sure you could write a script that contained as many screw ups in one play as that one. And to top it all off, the offensive PI wasn't even in the conversation. Muff Boudain couldn't have done a worse job.

FAX

FAX
09-27-2012, 02:06 AM
The one where the Saints player fell as he caught it, got up and scored.

They called it a TD on the field, but reviewed it and overturned it.

They got it wrong.

I must have missed that one. So you're saying that it shouldn't have been overturned? Was the player touched down?

FAX

Guru
09-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Without these replacement refs we would be 0-3

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBQoWWuDHcs4drPPj88-f8SZpnf2YTqel9J58G0lZ7htW6oWzKJw

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 02:12 AM
So you're saying that it shouldn't have been overturned?

FAXCorrect. It was a TD. The ball didn't touch the ground. If it did, you couldn't see it.

I can't find video of it.

FAX
09-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Correct. It was a TD. The ball didn't touch the ground. If it did, you couldn't see it.

No problem. My CD should be here any day so I can get caught up.

Thanks for the information, though.

FAX

Art Vader
09-27-2012, 04:40 AM
I kinda wish this had dragged out longer, as I revel in the chaos. It definitely wasn't a good product to watch, but I'm used to watching a garbage product on Sundays already, what's a little more incompetence going to hurt?

I thought the MNF thing was pretty funny.. during the review one of them was probably like probably like "look... do you want to leave this stadium getting your dick sucked and going to get lapdances and eat a nice complimentary steak, or getting beer and piss and garbage thrown at you? easy call. Touchdown."

It probably does take a lot of moxy to be out there trying to control that game of huge egos under time restraints in a stadium full of people screaming. It always baffles me how people can blow obvious calls, it must be some kind of blinding pressure you have to experience first hand. The stage was too big for some it seemed, others didn't do that bad IMO. The real officials back will be good for the Chiefs' draft position though.

Nzoner
09-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I must have missed that one. So you're saying that it shouldn't have been overturned? Was the player touched down?

FAX

Correct. It was a TD. The ball didn't touch the ground. If it did, you couldn't see it.

Pierre Thomas as I recall,I looked as well and found nothing.

qabbaan
09-27-2012, 06:00 AM
They wanted a large increase in compensation. I think we should expect their performance to be better than ever.

GloryDayz
09-27-2012, 06:08 AM
Nope. Next time Ed H. throws a game, I'll be all over him. I'll find it funny when the excuses flow freely for missed holds, and every other missed call that we seem to have forgotten then folks make. The replacements didn't get a break, and these guys will get plenty of them. Just watch, tonight we'll be hearing them offered excuses for them being rusty... Sure! These guys should be allowed to get away with the same number mistakes as the replacments got - zero... But alas, there's little justice in this world!

Frazod
09-27-2012, 06:10 AM
No. Frankly I prefer suck to on the take. I'm sure the "right" teams will be getting all the breaks now. As usual.

Lonewolf Ed
09-27-2012, 06:11 AM

Exactly! They didn't have the benefit of the preseason to get back into the swing of things, so it could be rough for a few weeks, and then back to the standard level of ineptitude.

Guru
09-27-2012, 06:14 AM
after all they are just refs. Part time employees. WE can't expect them to be perfect.

LMAO

EDIT

Part time employees that want to be paid $173,000 per year.

Predarat
09-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Maybe for a week or so but soon after I will be back to normal.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I just wish they'd call a consistent game. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing Tamba manhandled on a play with no call, then on the other side of the ball a big gainer is brought back due to a ticky tack call totally not having anything to do with the play.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Poll = misleading.

I'll be even more critical because I expect more from better trained and more experienced refs...

Rausch
09-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I just wish they'd call a consistent game. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing Tamba manhandled on a play with no call, then on the other side of the ball a big gainer is brought back due to a ticky tack call totally not having anything to do with the play.

That's how I felt about the NO game. In the 2nd quarter I was ticked and thought we had about 3 offensive PI calls.

Then in the 4th Bowe figured it out and just started cock-punching DB's for 1st downs and I was like "well, these refs are fucked. They don't know $#itty calls vs. the Chiefs is actually in the rule book. They'll be gone in a week..."

FAX
09-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I've been thinking ... I know, you guys are stunned and shocked, but there's no need to congratulate me ... it's the medication.

Anyhow, I was thinking that maybe the best thing that could happen is for the new, old refs to blow the bejesus out of a couple of major calls. I mean, really stink up the place with some appalling, asinine, obviously incorrect and blatant screw up that costs one of the teams a game and deserves a giant asterisk or two. (Kind of like the last game.)

My idea is that, if that were to occur and since every NFL fan is already at least half pissed off over the refereeing, perhaps it would cause such an uproar that the league would seriously tighten up on the officiating and we would start seeing really significant changes in the consistency of calls like ... say ... choke-holding on OLBs rushing the passer!!!

FAX

CoMoChief
09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
I would imagine id would take them a little time to get into the flow of things.

They didn't have training camps or preseason games to work on their craft.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
That's how I felt about the NO game. In the 2nd quarter I was ticked and thought we had about 3 offensive PI calls.

Then in the 4th Bowe figured it out and just started cock-punching DB's for 1st downs and I was like "well, these refs are fucked. They don't know $#itty calls vs. the Chiefs is actually in the rule book. They'll be gone in a week..."

Heh, yep. The n00bs blew, but at least they consistently blew. People forget they called a BS penalty on the Pack's go ahead drive as well that extended it.

morphius
09-27-2012, 07:55 AM
after all they are just refs. Part time employees. WE can't expect them to be perfect.

LMAO

EDIT

Part time employees that want to be paid $173,000 per year.
Part time employees that get paid retirement as well...

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I feel sorry for the opponents of Green Bay, New England, and Denver. These refs shall avenge the previous losses of thier golden boys and allow Clady to bring a rope on to the field and hog tie defenders to keep them from thier Precious. I will be monitoring called penalities in these games closely.

Frazod
09-27-2012, 08:04 AM
I feel sorry for the opponents of Green Bay, New England, and Denver. These refs shall avenge the previous losses of thier golden boys and allow Clady to bring a rope on to the field and hog tie defenders to keep them from thier Precious. I will be monitoring called penalities in these games closely.

Somebody should photoshop Gollum's head onto Manning's body.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Somebody should photoshop Gollum's head onto Manning's body.

But, I like Howard better LMAO

Frazod
09-27-2012, 08:08 AM
But, I like Howard better LMAO

He actually looks more like Gollum, though. :D

Frazod
09-27-2012, 08:10 AM
And Green Bay gets New Orleans at home. I don't think replacement refs would have made any difference. %(/

alnorth
09-27-2012, 08:17 AM

The replay booth only buzzes down to the field. The ref on the field still reviews it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Only if they try to derail my TANK!

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Only if they try to derail my TANK!

The defense playing up to thier potential and Hurricane Charles will be what derails your tank. Sorry.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 08:29 AM
The defense playing up to thier potential and Hurricane Charles will be what derails your tank. Sorry.

Sadly, you truly underestimate the suck of Gus Choadchuggler.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 08:30 AM

And remember, it was one fucking game.

TANK ON!

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
The replay booth only buzzes down to the field. The ref on the field still reviews it.

All TD's are reviewed now, I think fumbles too... Are int's reviewed every time as well?

boogblaster
09-27-2012, 08:37 AM
the replacements kinda let'em play .. was refreshing .....

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM

True. I'm old enough to remember when the game wasn't so controlled.

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 08:50 AM
True. I'm old enough to remember when the game wasn't so controlled.

Me too... I remember when they started that in the grasp rule for QB's ... I thought that would be the end of the NFL right there

morphius
09-27-2012, 08:56 AM
The best thing about the replacement refs is that they could have just let go the guy that failed the review and the guy who made the call in the end zone in the Seattle game. Bring in new guys till you get it right. The regulars we are just stuck with.

listopencil
09-27-2012, 09:23 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-McWr0bU6aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Me too... I remember when they started that in the grasp rule for QB's ... I thought that would be the end of the NFL right there

I understand wanting to protect the players from long-term injuries, but the game had more fire back in the day. IMO.

Rausch
09-27-2012, 09:44 AM

I didn't like that it was mostly offensive.

I saw a lot of OPI that went uncalled vs. us and I know we're due for a fucking.

The regulars know the rules. We'll be back to getting hosed in no time at all once they take the field and any pro bowl/all pro goes up against us...

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I didn't like that it was mostly offensive.

I saw a lot of OPI that went uncalled vs. us and I know we're due for a fucking.

The regulars know the rules. We'll be back to getting hosed in no time at all once they take the field and any pro bowl/all pro goes up against us...

See, that's the other good thing. The refs have a history of hosing KC, and probably hating Pioli too.

TO TEH TANK!

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I understand wanting to protect the players from long-term injuries, but the game had more fire back in the day. IMO.
Do yo remember when they started it though? The defensive player would touch a jersey and they would blow the whistle.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Do yo remember when they started it though? The defensive player would touch a jersey and they would blow the whistle.

Nah, I can't recall the exact time frame. Stooopid rule, though.

loochy
09-27-2012, 10:20 AM
these guys are built up to be the gods of refereedom

i expect perfect calls EVERY time

Rausch
09-27-2012, 10:27 AM
See, that's the other good thing. The refs have a history of hosing KC, and probably hating Pioli too.

TO TEH TANK!

I'm not a violent man but right now, as I type this, I'm squinting my eyes and thinking that some very bad things should befall you...

Frosty
09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
It's going to be funny watching these guys in the second half of games this weekend. You know that they can't be in game shape yet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm not a violent man but right now, as I type this, I'm squinting my eyes and thinking that some very bad things should befall you...

There's only way to rock.

TANK-SHUFFLE FTW!

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 10:34 AM
It's going to be funny watching these guys in the second half of games this weekend. You know that they can't be in game shape yet.

I bet Ed Hockaloogie is

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-McWr0bU6aw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

Richard_Cuckold
09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
yes

Deberg_1990
09-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Heh.....I'm watching ESPN righ now. Just as I suspected, the real refs are starting to be hailed like conquering heroes. :facepalm:

3rd&48ers
09-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Heh.....I'm watching ESPN righ now. Just as I suspected, the real refs are starting to be hailed like conquering heroes. :facepalm:

Because New Orleans , New England & Greenbay & Denver are not undefeated.
If the darlings were undefeated no one would care.

WhiteWhale
09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I've been saying all week that I think the regular officials would have called that GB/SEA catch the same as the replacements.

It would have been a big deal, but less of a big deal. The NFL would have been all like "The call was totally right" and it would have faded like so many atrocious game deciding shit calls of the past.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I've been saying all week that I think the regular officials would have called that GB/SEA catch the same as the replacements.

It would have been a big deal, but less of a big deal. The NFL would have been all like "The call was totally right" and it would have faded like so many atrocious game deciding shit calls of the past.

You are 100% correct sir

Guru
09-27-2012, 08:02 PM
have they blown a call yet?

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Because New Orleans , New England & Greenbay & Denver are not undefeated.
If the darlings were undefeated no one would care.

Don't worry they'll ride in like white knights and be sure that Precious Manning and St. Brady don't lose this week. New Orleans SOL goin up against the Pack.

CoMoChief
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
In the NFL you have the have a better understanding of the rule....kinda like knowing what is ,is. Because crazy shit happens and you have to be able to think on your feet in a matter a seconds in a fast paced game. I actually think the replacement refs let them play a bit more. On the other hand their PI calls were terrible and there were some obvious rookie non-calls and misinterpretations.