PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Charles needs less carries

Brainiac
09-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Chiefs’ strategy puts Charles’ health at risk

By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The head coach of the Chiefs is talking about Jamaal Charles, the team’s most valuable playmaker, and it sounds a bit like a husband’s strategy on disagreeing with his wife.

“We’re trying to pick the best spots so we get the most productivity,” he says.

The offensive coordinator of the Chiefs is talking about Charles, the one offensive player most likely to turn a game in the team’s favor like he did last week in New Orleans, and it sounds a bit like a baseball coach’s reasons for watching pitch counts.

“The productivity of a running back is directly related to how fresh they are,” he says.

Both quotes are from 2010. The head coach is Todd Haley, the offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. Back then, Charles was a precious, and protected, commodity.

Here in 2012, he is used in Costco sizes: the Chiefs just gave Charles 33 carries and six catches. That’s 12 more touches than Charles’ previous career-high, five more than anybody else in the NFL this season, and a number unsurpassed since 2004. Read that sentence again.

The new head coach, Romeo Crennel, gives no indication he wants to limit Charles’ exposure, even a year after major knee surgery. Two weeks ago, Crennel was saying he wasn’t sure if Charles would ever again be what he once was.

This is the desperation of the NFL, and of the Chiefs in particular.

Charles doesn’t worry too much about being used like a Greyhound bus, or at least he’s not saying publicly.

“It doesn’t matter,” he says.

Crennel and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll are apparently taking Charles at his word, ignoring the past and the future for the present.

“He never came to me to say he needed a break,” Crennel says.

“I was going to keep on giving it to him,” Daboll says.

This is dangerous on a lot of levels, particularly for Charles’ long-term health and the effectiveness of the Chiefs’ offense if they burn out their surest playmaker.

In the last five seasons, only six players have had 35 or more offensive touches in a game. That list does not include workhorse backs Adrian Peterson and Steven Jackson, who outweigh Charles by 18 and 41 pounds, respectively.

Of the six, only Chris Johnson weighs less than Charles. The others — Marshawn Lynch, Ray Rice, Arian Foster, Maurice Jones-Drew and Brian Westbrook — are between four and 29 pounds heavier.

As a group, their yards-per-carry average dropped by more than a quarter of a yard after the heavy use, and the five who played the week immediately after (no bye) averaged more than a half-yard less than their season averages. None of them did any of this in their first season back from ACL surgery, or two weeks after their head coach wondered out loud about their long-term strength.

The Chiefs are in a tough spot. Six of Charles’ carries and one of his catches came in overtime, and, with Peyton Hillis and Dexter McCluster both hurt, Charles will likely be asked to do even more with what was already a run-heavy offense built around Matt Cassel’s limitations.

This drives directly against the organization’s belief two years ago that Charles was most effective and best protected by limited use.

The key chance since then, of course: the futures of Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli with the Chiefs depend on making progress this season.

The season is only three games old and the Chiefs have been involved in two blowouts, so it’s hard to know exactly what to make of them ranking first in total offense and 18th in points.

But Charles is the league’s top rusher (and 10th in carries), while Cassel ranks 14th in passing yards, 21st in completion percentage, and 27th in passer rating. So even if you don’t watch the games, you can see where the team’s strength is.

It also shows that the Chiefs’ convenient change of philosophy comes as Crennel and Pioli face the hard reality that this “process” is past the point of needing to show progress.

In the NFL, that means luxuries like planning for the long-term effectiveness of Charles are suppressed by the urgency to save face and employment. Two years ago, the future was a priority. Now, not as much.

They’re going to ride Charles hard, whether it’s for the best in the long-term or not.

Pioli’s steady refusal to upgrade the quarterback situation — and now the injuries to Hillis and McCluster — mean there really isn’t another choice.

Link: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/29/3839840/chiefs-strategy-puts-charles-health.html#storylink=cpy

Brainiac
09-29-2012, 08:17 PM
This reminds me of the Trey Hillman / Gil Meche fiasco. That didn't work out so well.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2012, 08:17 PM
He needs 30 carries a game.

BoneKrusher
09-29-2012, 08:18 PM
He Needs a QB to help him out.

Brock
09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
If they use him like that when coming from behind, I can only imagine what they'll do if they're ever playing with a lead.

Nightfyre
09-29-2012, 08:21 PM

30 touches a game is 480 over a 16-game season. Charles would break in half. No running back is ever the same after a 400-touch season. Quit saying stupid shit.

Bump
09-29-2012, 08:23 PM
30 touches a game is 480 over a 16-game season. Charles would break in half. No running back is ever the same after a 400-touch season. Quit saying stupid shit.

well he had to take that game over to win. That didn't look like the plan in the 1st half. They adjusted. I wouldn't expect that workload every Sunday, but if Cassel could help the team out a little bit they wouldn't have to give it to JC too much.

Brock
09-29-2012, 08:24 PM
The reasons to make a QB switch keep piling up.

stonedstooge
09-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Dumb shits are going to run him into the ground in a season that will have its limitations all due to the quarterback spot. Only so many plays in a running backs legs. Fucking Cheaps are ignorant

BoneKrusher
09-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Dumb shits are going to run him into the ground in a season that will have its limitations all due to the quarterback spot. Only so many plays in a running backs legs. ****ing Cheaps are ignorant

it's all Pioli's fault, he doesn't want a QB on this roster that would threaten Matty's starting spot.

milkman
09-29-2012, 08:41 PM
This team needs to work Droughn in on more snaps and carries.

Charles should not be getting more than 25-27 touches a game.

SPATCH
09-29-2012, 08:42 PM
These are not the Draughns you are looking for...

SPATCH
09-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Also, Thomas Jones is available.

milkman
09-29-2012, 08:46 PM
One other thing.

Limit his catches.

We don't want Cassel to get him killed.

stonedstooge
09-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Romeo and Daboll both seem like its cool with them. What the hell? They can't be that stupid can they?

FAX
09-29-2012, 08:57 PM
This is exactly what I feared. They'll ruin him before we ever even sniff a playoff berth.

FAX

stonedstooge
09-29-2012, 08:58 PM
This is exactly what I feared. They'll ruin him before we ever even sniff a playoff berth.

FAX

We can get someone cheaper/Pisoli

Chiefs Pantalones
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
RBs don't last long. He's on his second contract. He needs to play like he did against NO for us to have a chance. Feed him the fucking ball and run him into the fucking ground...or get a QB to take the load off him. Your choice, Chiefs.

SPATCH
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
But Jamaal bulked up in the offseason, so it's cool.

Count Alex's Losses
09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Casshole will claim another victim.

Count Alex's Losses
09-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Hopefully we get blown out a few more times and Charles can work in some 10-touch games where Cassel throws 40 times.

ThaVirus
09-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Charles should not be getting more than 25-27 touches a game.

One other thing.

Limit his catches.

We don't want Cassel to get him killed.

These.

Draughn's done enough in his limited playing time to warrant 15 touches. If Charles touches the ball more than 12-16 times tomorrow ill be supremely annoyed.

WhiteWhale
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
You guys are drama queens.

KC isn't going to keep giving him 39 touches. That would kill any RB. It was one game. When this becomes a trend, I'll get concerned. I think Haley underutilized Charles, but obviously this was more work than you want to give a HB.

Let's, you know, stop over-reacting to one game all the fucking time you know?

New World Order
09-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Charles should not be getting more than 17-20 touches a game.

FYP. They really will run Charles into the ground if he is getting 20-25 touches a game, especially after a serious knee injury.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 09:33 PM

KC isn't going to keep giving him 39 touches. That would kill any RB. It was one game. When this becomes a trend, I'll get concerned. I think Haley underutilized Charles, but obviously this was more work than you want to give a HB.

Let's, you know, stop over-reacting to one game all the ****ing time you know?

Haley used him correctly, he is not a rb that can withstand punishment. Baltimore knocked him out of the playoff game, acl injury last year, and against Buffalo this year he was hurt.

WhiteWhale
09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Haley used him correctly, he is not a rb that can withstand punishment. Baltimore knocked him out of the playoff game, acl injury last year, and against Buffalo this year he was hurt.

He's a ****ing running back. Running backs get banged up. There's never been a point in this history of the league where that wasn't the case. He's going to get knocked out of games sometimes. The ACL injury had nothing to do with his size... nothing at all. He slipped on a first down marker.

Ideally he'd touch it as much as Faulk when he was with the Rams (250 carries/50+ catches) IMO.

milkman
09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
He's a ****ing running back. Running backs get banged up. There's never been a point in this history of the league where that wasn't the case. He's going to get knocked out of games sometimes. The ACL injury had nothing to do with his size... nothing at all.

Ideally he'd touch it as much as Faulk when he was with the Rams (250 carries/50+ catches) IMO.

That sounds about right.

chefsos
09-29-2012, 09:41 PM
I hate to say it, but I think you just have to run him. Not to the insane degree of the NOLA game, but there's no need to baby him while we wait for a franchise QB. It's already too late for that.

Ace Gunner
09-29-2012, 09:55 PM
With a "doubtful" Hillis, we will find out who #20 Draughn is tomorrow.

ThaVirus
09-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Baltimore knocked him out of the game? I remember him coming up a bit gimpy after popping shoulders with a DB as he was running out of bounds, but I thought the reason we didn't see more of him was the shit playcalling and Matt Cassel's ineptitude....

ThaVirus

I'm more interested in finding out about our offensive line.

KcMizzou
With a "doubtful" Hillis, we will find out who #20 Draughn is tomorrow.He's been pretty damned good. (For a guy I'd never heard of)

trndobrd
09-29-2012, 10:00 PM
The title of the article is misleading. The Chief's Strategy was to start Charles, let Hillis pound in the short yardage, mix in McCluster in the short passing game and use Draughn to spell Charles.

The injuries to Hillis and McCluster may put Charles health at risk. But the reality is that some game situations a team just has to ride the strongest horse. As long as Charles doesn't become a favorite receiver for Cassel, he'll be just fine.

Psyko Tek
09-29-2012, 10:00 PM
He Needs a QB to help him out.

this team needs a QB that doesn't hang them out to get kilt

Ace Gunner
09-29-2012, 10:03 PM
You don't "limit" star players. He's fine at 20 - 30 carries a game, depending on the defense. I would not expect he gets more than 20 carries this week.

New World Order
09-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Is it surprising that the depth pioli provided for our TE and RB positions were injury prone last season (Hillis,Boss)? We also wanted to bring in John Carlson who has not played in a game since 2010.

Coogs
09-29-2012, 10:05 PM
this team needs a QB that doesn't hang them out to get kilt

This team needs a QB that doesn't have to have 45 rushing attempts to have a chance to win.

Ace Gunner
09-29-2012, 10:06 PM
He's been pretty damned good. (For a guy I'd never heard of)

Ya, looking forward to it. He's deceptive for a guy standing 6'0 tall.

Ace Gunner
09-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm more interested in finding out about our offensive line.

hahaha .. mirage? or will they continue to play like a decent OL? Damned if it won't be both tomorrow:cuss:

Dayze
09-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Give Cassel 30 carries.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 10:45 PM
shut up. he won that game single handedly. it needed to happen otherwise we would be 0-3 . eat a dick.

WhiteWhale
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
shut up. he won that game single handedly. it needed to happen otherwise we would be 0-3 . eat a dick.

Justin Houston disagrees.

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM

Your communication skills are highly underwhelming.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Your communication skills are highly underwhelming.

your profile picture is highly underwhelming. find a new sitcom bro.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Justin Houston disagrees.

and yes my bad. houston was in beast mode. i hope he keeps it up cuz we STOLE his ass in the 3rd

milkman
09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
your profile picture is highly underwhelming. find a new sitcom bro.

That means a lot coming from a dumbass.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
haha ok . ur such an educated specimen . grow ur fuckin mullet back out and throw ur zeppelin records in u faggot.

BossChief
09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
You don't "limit" star players. He's fine at 20 - 30 carries a game, depending on the defense. I would not expect he gets more than 20 carries this week.

Haha

WhiteWhale
09-29-2012, 10:58 PM
That means a lot coming from a dumbass.

Just stop. Obvious troll is obvious. Ignore it and it will go back under the bridge.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
troll? i've been on this site for 3 years. just had to make a new account cuz i forgot my addy. im not a fuckin troll i love my chiefs thankyou very much. i just think this guy is a fool

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 11:01 PM
certain people on these forums think because they post to every thread in every section that they are "boss" or "elite" or whatever when in reality there are people with ZERO posts that will make them look like a child.

good term for him is a "no-life"

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:06 PM
haha ok . ur such an educated specimen . grow ur ****in mullet back out and throw ur zeppelin records in u pillowbitergot.

I always find these kinds of insults amusing.

You have no idea who I am, or what kind of music I enjoy, or what my hair looks like or has ever looked like.

It just illustrates further your stupidity.

milkman
09-29-2012, 11:08 PM
certain people on these forums think because they post to every thread in every section that they are "boss" or "elite" or whatever when in reality there are people with ZERO posts that will make them look like a child.

good term for him is a "no-life"

I don't think I am boss or elite, and there have been those that have proven me wrong.

But, you will never be one of them.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2012, 11:10 PM
This thread grew aids.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 11:11 PM
yeah ur right. ur 58,000 posts are pretty much the tipping factor of intimidation. i'll go hide in my hole. scrub.

trndobrd
09-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Give Cassel 30 carries.

:hmmm:

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 11:13 PM
i also like how u comment on my post like "you know me" when i was directing my post to the writer . maybe inquire before instigating an argument

Reerun_KC
09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
i also like how u comment on my post like "you know me" when i was directing my post to the writer . maybe inquire before instigating an argument

I think you have fleas.

SDKCCHIEFS
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
i have shampoo for that.

T-post Tom
09-29-2012, 11:29 PM
The Star found their testes and now they're in attack mode. Fine, no problem. But Charles has 55 rushing attempts and 9 receptions in 3 games. That's about 21 touches a game. Hardly an egregious overuse of a RB. Draugn is averaging 5.9 yds per carry, same as Charles. I'm sure he'll get his share of touches. The real challenge will be getting the QB to play at an NFL level.

RINGLEADER
09-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Well that game was an anomaly in the the Chiefs had almost 100 offensive plays. Getting 40% of the touches in a normal game would equate to around 25 touches which is more realistic...

Demonpenz
09-30-2012, 12:59 AM
All the weapons but since the QB is as useful as a pair of new balance kicks for steving hawking, we have to run him

SDKCCHIEFS
09-30-2012, 01:50 AM
All the weapons but since the QB is as useful as a pair of new balance kicks for steving hawking, we have to run him

hahaha. harsh

BoneKrusher
09-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Give Cassel 30 carries.

i'm for this. :thumb:

beach tribe
09-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Well, if they do keep this up, Charles will top 2000 easy barring injury.

And then he'll be DONE.

Tuckdaddy
09-30-2012, 08:13 AM

That's not the answer. Give the man a QB that can help him is the answer.

Marcellus
09-30-2012, 08:16 AM
If he ends up with 30 carries every game it will could an issue. It was 1 game and everyone wants to wig out.

In the past the coaches said they wanted to conserve him and people flipped, now they say they will use him as much as needed to win and they flip.

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
09-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Romeo and Daboll both seem like its cool with them. What the hell? They can't be that stupid can they?

I don't think this is the case. They've been keeping his carries in check all season long. When you're down by a lot and he's the only guy moving the ball against a suspect run defense, it's not terrible to run him 30+ times a game.

Ideally, he should be running the ball less than 20 times a game.

And in that ideal scenario, we're going to lose most games, because that means we have to use our shitty QB.

It's either run Charles into the ground. Or lose. Sucks that that's true.

Trivers
09-30-2012, 08:19 AM
"it sounds a bit like a husband’s strategy on disagreeing with his wife."

"The key chance since then, of course: the futures of Crennel and general manager Scott Pioli with the Chiefs depend on making progress this season."

"Pioli’s steady refusal to upgrade the quarterback situation... "

Oh, the drama!

I wish I had his job and pay check for writing such high school level prose.

Who is this terrible writer?

stonedstooge
09-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Let's, you know, stop over-reacting to one game all the ****ing time you know?

I don't think it's over-reacting when your head coach and offense coordinator are quoted as seeing nothing wrong with Charles having this many touches. Does it mean he will have as many touches in future games? No, not necessarily. Does it mean the coaches will overuse him if they feel compelled to do so? Absolutely. Romeo says he never said he was tired. JFC. Daboll quoted he would have given him the ball more, JFC. That's bullshit coachspeak right there

Trivers
09-30-2012, 08:22 AM
If he ends up with 30 carries every game it will could an issue. It was 1 game and everyone wants to wig out.

In the past the coaches said they wanted to conserve him and people flipped, now they say they will use him as much as needed to win and they flip.

LMAO

Exactly.

Nicely summarized. A poorly written article sends people into a tizzy. Chill people.

Reerun_KC
09-30-2012, 08:24 AM

LMAO

Fine 29 carries.

I love watching the girls menstruating over this. Quite humorous.

Trivers
09-30-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't think it's over-reacting when your head coach and offense coordinator are quoted as seeing nothing wrong with Charles having this many touches. Does it mean he will have as many touches in future games? No, not necessarily. Does it mean the coaches will overuse him if they feel compelled to do so? Absolutely. Romeo says he never said he was tired. JFC. Daboll quoted he would have given him the ball more, JFC. That's bullshit coachspeak right there

Amen, brother, preach on! :)

milkman
09-30-2012, 09:24 AM

LMAO

Stop being a bitch.

People were flipping out when Charles was getting fewer than 20 touches a game.

Now they're flipping out because he had 39 touches in the Saints game.

Charles needs 20-25 touches.

Less than that is under utilizing him.
More than that is over utilizing him.

mlyonsd
09-30-2012, 09:41 AM
The problem is with Cassel as QB our options are limited.

Ace Gunner
09-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Fine 29 carries.

I love watching the girls menstruating over this. Quite humorous.

That's why I come to this board also.

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-30-2012, 11:07 AM
If they use him like that when coming from behind, I can only imagine what they'll do if they're ever playing with a lead.

They ran 100 plays, so that was a little over a third of the teams plays he touched the ball. It was a fluke. He also only had 7 touches the week before. Gotta love it when the media overreacts to one game and treats it like a trend.

Marcellus
09-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Stop being a bitch.

People were flipping out when Charles was getting fewer than 20 touches a game.

Now they're flipping out because he had 39 touches in the Saints game.

Charles needs 20-25 touches.

Less than that is under utilizing him.
More than that is over utilizing him.

Your geritol give you heartburn this morning Milk? Drink some milk.

It was one Freaking game!