PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Two simple questions

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Just because I'm curious.

1. Is there a good reason why the Chiefs play kick returner-by-committe? Arenas, Gray, McCluster have all taken turns that I've seen... maybe more even. What's the point of this? Is it because we don't really have any kick returners who are good so it's kind of an open competition? Is it just because we like screwing with things?

2. Do the Chiefs ever have those pre-game "fire up" groups among the players? We always see Ray Lewis and Drew Brees firing up the troops pre-game but I can't remember ever seeing the Chiefs do it. I'm not saying it matters as far as the outcome of the game but it seems like it can't be a bad thing. Maybe someone is a leader and does that?

Thanks in advance.

Iconic
09-30-2012, 06:25 PM
1. I think it's an open competition but Arenas is considered the main guy.
2. I remember seeing a video of Thomas Jones doing that two years ago but that's about it.

KC_Lee
09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
1. You really need to make sure you keep a good rotation of players to take a knee. Can't risk an injured knee for any of those "key" players.

2. Nope, the players are just waking up from thier pre-game nap and are too tired to get all hyped up.

milkman
09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Arenas is your punt returner, and McCluster is your usual kick returner.

I would imagine that Gray took over the kick return duties today in order to protect McCluster's elbow.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
1. I think it's an open competition but Arenas is considered the main guy.
2. I remember seeing a video of Thomas Jones doing that two years ago but that's about it.

1. I see... thank you.
2. Maybe they should. Someone's got to be a leader on this team, right?

Cheater5
09-30-2012, 06:30 PM
1. A: because it appears as though it is a last minute decision or almost an afterthought regarding Special Teams. Whomever is closest to RAC with a low number when it's time for KR/PR; "You! Get get in there!"

2. A: Because the Chiefs are apathetic. They see the world in gray and black, and food turns to ash in their mouths. They are lifeless, listless, and sigh deeply in front of their lockers before games slowly and grudgingly pulling on their uniforms.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Arenas is your punt returner, and McCluster is your usual kick returner.

I would imagine that Gray took over the kick return duties today in order to protect McCluster's elbow.

Ok that leads me to my next question... and forgive the apparent stupidity. Why do you need two guys returning 2 different types of kicks? They're both kicks. One is more often taken in the endzone probably while the other in the field of play but I don't get why there's really a difference as far as fielding and running the kick back.

Iconic
09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
1. I see... thank you.
2. Maybe they should. Someone's got to be a leader on this team, right?

Definitely, When starting off the season terribly and with strides of inconsistency and lack luster performances like ours, It's absolutely necessary that we have veteran leadership on this team that can help the young guys out when the going gets tough. That's one of the reasons why we break down so quickly when we're down on the scoreboard. I thought Winston would bring some leadership to the team but he hasn't really shown to much... Though I don't think anything can bring you back from Casshole.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Definitely, When starting off the season terribly and with strides of inconsistency and lack luster performances like ours, It's absolutely necessary that we have veteran leadership on this team that can help the young guys out when the going gets tough. That's one of the reasons why we break down so quickly when we're down on the scoreboard. I thought Winston would bring some leadership to the team but he hasn't really shown to much... Though I don't think anything can bring you back from Casshole.

Are there any captains on this team? Does anyone wear the "C" patch?

milkman
09-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Ok that leads me to my next question... and forgive the apparent stupidity. Why do you need two guys returning 2 different types of kicks? They're both kicks. One is more often taken in the endzone probably while the other in the field of play but I don't get why there's really a difference as far as fielding and running the kick back.

I can only speculate on this.

Arenas is better with ball security, and with defenders coming at you quicker as you receive the punt, that's a necessary trait.

milkman
09-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Are there any captains on this team? Does anyone wear the "C" patch?

Matt Cassel, for Captain Checkdown.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:48 PM
I can only speculate on this.

Arenas is better with ball security, and with defenders coming at you quicker as you receive the punt, that's a necessary trait.

OK thanks.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Matt Cassel, for Captain Checkdown.

If they don't believe anyone is worthy of being an offensive or defensive captain I guess I see not having any... but if that's the case then that says a lot all by itself. It seems to me... and I'm just speculating here... that having a couple guys with the role of leader on their jerseys might just help them to step up into more of a leadership role. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

DJ as defensive captain and Charles as offensive maybe?

milkman
09-30-2012, 06:58 PM
If they don't believe anyone is worthy of being an offensive or defensive captain I guess I see not having any... but if that's the case then that says a lot all by itself. It seems to me... and I'm just speculating here... that having a couple guys with the role of leader on their jerseys might just help them to step up into more of a leadership role. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

DJ as defensive captain and Charles as offensive maybe?

There are actually team captains voted on by the players.

Matt Cassel, DJ and Terrence Copper are ones I know of.
Might be others, but I can't remember.

GoShox
09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I was wondering about the returning thing as well. Usually it has been McCluster or Arenas as we all know, but lately we have been seeing a lot of Draughn and like you said we even saw some Gray today. Arenas seems to be the best overall, but none of them are really capable of taking one all the way. Kinda confused me.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:00 PM
There are actually team captains voted on by the players.

Matt Cassel, DJ and Terrence Copper are ones I know of.
Might be others, but I can't remember.

Your QB should definately be a captain... to bad ours isn't really worthy with his play on the field. It would seem more honorary in his case just because he's the QB and a "great guy."

GoShox
09-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Also, I don't know if this warrants its own thread, but what are the chances that Bowe is still here next year? I'd hate to see him go and be amazing with a QB that can hit his targets, it's amazing how much he's done here with a subpar QB. I couldn't really blame him for leaving, either.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:02 PM
I was wondering about the returning thing as well. Usually it has been McCluster or Arenas as we all know, but lately we have been seeing a lot of Draughn and like you said we even saw some Gray today. Arenas seems to be the best overall, but none of them are really capable of taking one all the way. Kinda confused me.

Draughn... I knew I left someone out.

Count Alex's Losses
09-30-2012, 07:03 PM
McCluster doesn't return kicks.

He sucks.

The truth is all our returners fucking suck large amounts of amphibian ass.

Pioli is a giant buffoon who stole money from the Hunts.

chiefzilla1501
09-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Just because I'm curious.

1. Is there a good reason why the Chiefs play kick returner-by-committe? Arenas, Gray, McCluster have all taken turns that I've seen... maybe more even. What's the point of this? Is it because we don't really have any kick returners who are good so it's kind of an open competition? Is it just because we like screwing with things?

2. Do the Chiefs ever have those pre-game "fire up" groups among the players? We always see Ray Lewis and Drew Brees firing up the troops pre-game but I can't remember ever seeing the Chiefs do it. I'm not saying it matters as far as the outcome of the game but it seems like it can't be a bad thing. Maybe someone is a leader and does that?

Thanks in advance.

I believe they use Arenas and McCluster based on how many reps they get. Lately, they both seem to be getting quite a bit of regular team reps. Arenas is the primary punt returner, though, because he's very good at it. Gray, I think, was just out there because we were getting drilled and they thought they'd just try something different.

There's a video after the Saints win. They do this. I thought I remember Albert was doing it on offense and maybe Dorsey (?) on defense? They do it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Also, I don't know if this warrants its own thread, but what are the chances that Bowe is still here next year? I'd hate to see him go and be amazing with a QB that can hit his targets, it's amazing how much he's done here with a subpar QB. I couldn't really blame him for leaving, either.

I think he's almost absolutely gone. Would you want to come back if you were him? The only way I can see him staying is if we actually drafted a stud QB high. Even then though why would he want to go through the growing pains that brings? I know I wouldn't. He's not getting any younger. If I were Bowe I'd be playing this year for my next contract anywhere but KC.

GoShox
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
I think he's almost absolutely gone. Would you want to come back if you were him? The only way I can see him staying is if we actually drafted a stud QB high. Even then though why would he want to go through the growing pains that brings? I know I wouldn't. He's not getting any younger. If I were Bowe I'd be playing this year for my next contract anywhere but KC.

Yeah, this is what makes me sad. Assuming we draft a QB (probably unlikely), I'd love to see what he can do with a solid QB that can make accurate passes. Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to see this with Bowe on a different team.

Sully
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Completely different types of returns, and different mindsets. Not that there aren't many who can do both, but just because they both come off a player's foot doesn't make them the same.

On kickoff, you are typically getting a clean field and a clean catch, with a very specific purpose for all the blockers ahead of you. Hell, KO returns nowadays are drawn up very similar to offensive running plays, with "counter" and "power g" type blocking schemes. What is in front of you is a ton more predictable.

On punts, though you also try to have specific blocking schemes and ideas, what is happening in front of you, and (more importantly) around you, though, is a lot less predictable. There's a ton more quick decisions and cuts involved.

Talking to Arenas' college ST coach (can't remember his name... Bobby something... Used to be the HC at Mich State, I think.), he said Arenas was the smartest returner he'd ever coached.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Completely different types of returns, and different mindsets. Not that there aren't many who can do both, but just because they both come off a player's foot doesn't make them the same.

On kickoff, you are typically getting a clean field and a clean catch, with a very specific purpose for all the blockers ahead of you. Hell, KO returns nowadays are drawn up very similar to offensive running plays, with "counter" and "power g" type blocking schemes. What is in front of you is a ton more predictable.

On punts, though you also try to have specific blocking schemes and ideas, what is happening in front of you, and (more importantly) around you, though, is a lot less predictable. There's a ton more quick decisions and cuts involved.

Talking to Arenas' college ST coach (can't remember his name... Bobby something... Used to be the HC at Mich State, I think.), he said Arenas was the smartest returner he'd ever coached.
Appreciate the explaination, thanks.

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, this is what makes me sad. Assuming we draft a QB (probably unlikely), I'd love to see what he can do with a solid QB that can make accurate passes. Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to see this with Bowe on a different team.

He's become one of the better WR's in the game even with shit throwing to him. He could be a household name with Brady, either Manning, Brees etc... I don't want him to go either but part of me thinks he deserves the chance to become all he can be and he isn't likely going to have that chance here. I'll root for him where ever he might go.

Baconeater
09-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I thought for sure one of the questions would be "Why does Pioli hate us?"

Dr. Facebook Fever
09-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I thought for sure one of the questions would be "Why does Pioli hate us?"

Well... why does he?