PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs fans’ frustration, anger grow with each loss

Deberg_1990
10-01-2012, 06:45 AM
The expletives were flying as fans filed out of Arrowhead Stadium in the wake of yet another blowout defeat for the Chiefs.

Most of what the more vocal spectators spewed in the wake of Sunday’s 37-20 loss to the Chargers wasn’t fit for print, but suffice to say that the parking lot was awash in the frustration of another near-perfect autumn afternoon wasted.

“Today’s game is an embarrassment,” Valdurie Jenkins of Kansas City, Mo., said. “This whole season has been an embarrassment. I doubt I will come back again. I really do doubt I will come back this year — not when a ticket costs $45 and parking was $27.

“I didn’t get my money’s worth. I’d rather stay at home. It’s $7 for a pop, which is entirely too high, and then you watch them get blown out like that. It’s an embarrassment.”
Jenkins isn’t a season-ticket holder, but she has attended as many Chiefs home games as possible the last decade — an investment she now questions.

Even more troublesome, the franchise’s lifeblood — those who do hold season tickets — seemed just as distraught.

“We will not be back for the Baltimore game,” said Kim Cass, a season-ticket holder from Kansas City, Mo. “We’ll either give the tickets away or sell them.”

Once firmly ensconced among the NFL’s most feared venues, Arrowhead started to empty at halftime with the Chargers ahead by three touchdowns, a dire situation aided in no small measure by the Chiefs’ five first-half turnovers.

Sunday’s crowd was announced at 69,979, but there were likely no more than 60,000 who actually showed up. And up to half of those fans were gone by the end of the third quarter.
“The atmosphere has changed,” Terry Moore of Shawnee said. “For years, no matter what, the stadium stayed full. Now, after each score you see the crowd get less and less. By the end of the game, I hate to say it, but there’s always fewer and fewer fans. It’s up to the team to give people a reason to stay again.”

Through two games, including a season-opening 40-24 loss versus the Falcons, the Chiefs have failed in that regard.

Moore, who co-owns one of the many party buses parked on the Truman Sports Complex blacktop for every Chiefs home game, isn’t ready to give up entirely.

Still, even Moore, a 12-year season-ticket holder, admits that optimism is fading — and the ranks of the diehards with whom he tailgates year after year are thinning.

“We’d come back no matter what,” Moore said. “We’re fans and support the team, but it’s tough this year. I still feel pride pulling on the jersey, but it sure makes the drive home feel longer than it does when they’re doing well.

“We had some friends who had been season-ticket holders for 25-plus years, but they gave them up this year. There’s a good chance that will happen more and more if this keeps up, particularly if they do something with the cost of the tickets.”

Isaiah Barnes, who celebrated his 24th birthday at Arrowhead on Sunday, will be back, too. His girlfriend got him tickets to the game, along with a few later in the season, as a present.

“Obviously, this isn’t what I was hoping for at all, man,” said Barnes, who lives in Perry, Kan. “I come all this way, and all I get is this Chiefs pin. Come on: I’m spending $8.50 a beer and dropping at least $50 here. I expect to win. It’s getting old, and I don’t see any hope. The Saints really must be terrible this year.”

The silver lining for Barnes is that he expects traffic to be less of a pain.
With six remaining home games, including next Sunday’s noon kickoff against a well-rested Baltimore Ravens squad, it’s not a good sign when fans rank a lack of traffic among the expected highlights.

“There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for the season,” said Hannah Evans of Sedalia, Mo., who got heckled by fellow Chiefs fans on Sunday for wearing a Matt Cassel jersey. “I’ll probably come back just to tailgate. Who else am I going to watch? The Rams? No way. Besides, if you drink enough beer, everything’s fine.”

Her friend, Dina Sultanov, chimed in, “That’s what the season’s been reduced to: drink enough beer and hope for next year.”

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/30/3841649/chiefs-fans-frustration-anger.html

Bob Dole
10-01-2012, 06:49 AM
The Chiefs fan mantra: Maybe next year!

mlyonsd
10-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Her friend, Dina Sultanov, chimed in, “That’s what the season’s been reduced to: drink enough beer and hope for next year.”

Chief fan motto for over 40 years.

Bwana
10-01-2012, 07:14 AM
“There’s no light at the end of the tunnel for the season,” said Hannah Evans of Sedalia, Mo., who got heckled by fellow Chiefs fans on Sunday for wearing a Matt Cassel jersey.

LMAO

King_Chief_Fan
10-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I think it is time the Chiefs become a candidate for LA and the new stadium they are going to build there.

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 07:32 AM
I was already depressed enough today...reading things like this just make it worse.

I have been rooting for the Chiefs for nearly 50 years, and I am finally coming to the end of my rope when it comes to my belief that the glory days will ever return. I love thinking back to the days of Stram and Dawson and Taylor and Bell and Lanier and...well, you get the picture - all names from 40+ years ago. At least the Schottenheimer years were full of hope, if not championships. I always felt we could play with anybody, and never had to worry about how embarrassed I would be to be a Chiefs fan come Monday morning.

I've got some serious health issues and sometimes I have to wonder if I'm even going to see another age of Chiefs excellence.

Like I said, it's seriously depressing.

tredadda
10-01-2012, 07:47 AM
I was already depressed enough today...reading things like this just make it worse.

I have been rooting for the Chiefs for nearly 50 years, and I am finally coming to the end of my rope when it comes to my belief that the glory days will ever return. I love thinking back to the days of Stram and Dawson and Taylor and Bell and Lanier and...well, you get the picture - all names from 40+ years ago. At least the Schottenheimer years were full of hope, if not championships. I always felt we could play with anybody, and never had to worry about how embarrassed I would be to be a Chiefs fan come Monday morning.

I've got some serious health issues and sometimes I have to wonder if I'm even going to see another age of Chiefs excellence.

At least you can remember those days. I am in my mid 30s and have witnessed 3 playoff wins from this team in my life. No SBs or SB wins. The closest I have to what you remember are what I see on NFL Films.

ChiTown
10-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I think it is time the Chiefs become a candidate for LA and the new stadium they are going to build there.

Interesting. I've been thinking about this, but if the Chiefs were moved to another city like LA, would you guys still be fans of the "Chiefs"? I tried this years ago when the Kings moved from KC to Sacramento. It lasted for about 2 years and then I never gave a damn again. I would hope that I could still follow them, but the hometown KC boy in me says probably not. Having that attachment to the city is key to me. Without it, I don't think I would be nearly the fan that I am today.

notorious
10-01-2012, 07:58 AM
"Besides, if you drink enough beer, everything’s fine.”

Nope.

tredadda
10-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Interesting. I've been thinking about this, but if the Chiefs were moved to another city like LA, would you guys still be fans of the "Chiefs"? I tried this years ago when the Kings moved from KC to Sacramento. It lasted for about 2 years and then I never gave a damn again. I would hope that I could still follow them, but the hometown KC boy in me says probably not. Having that attachment to the city is key to me. Without it, I don't think I would be nearly the fan that I am today.

I think I would still follow them. They will always be the team that I was born and raised with. Nothing can keep me from being a fan of them, even moving cities, especially since I no longer live in the KC area myself.

Saulbadguy
10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I had never seen a mass of people leave the stadium before halftime before.

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't even be able to fake it.

If they aren't the Kansas City Chiefs, they would just be another NFL team...

morphius
10-01-2012, 08:09 AM
Nope, if they moved I'd bandwagon my ass on the team that looks like they will stay good for a while.

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Take care of yourself brother

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Take care of yourself brother

Well, if the Chiefs don't kill me, I will...:thumb:

notorious
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't even be able to fake it.

If they aren't the Kansas City Chiefs, they would just be another NFL team...

I am a local supporter, too.

Guess what team is the next nearest to where I live.....:eek:

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Well, if the Chiefs don't kill me, I will...:thumb:

Raiders are killing me too but we did take the first step to recovery... We have started the process of cleaning house

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I am a local supporter, too.

Guess what team is the next nearest to where I live.....:eek:

STFU

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Raiders are killing me too but we did take the first step to recovery... We have started the process of cleaning house

Yep, I have to give you that.

The thing is, we did it too, just a few years ago...Now we already have to do it AGAIN?!?!?

Now that's depressing!

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Yep, I have to give you that.

The thing is, we did it too, just a few years ago...Now we already have to do it AGAIN?!?!?

Now that's depressing!

Free agency has changed the game, there are no more dominant teams and when you get a player to build around he gets snagged by another team and you start over again.

Saccopoo
10-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I have no idea why anyone is depressed about the situation, which is beginning to border on a perfect season.

What's the problem(s) with this team?

Cassel. Crennel. Pioli.

A total crap out of the 2012 season virtually ensures that these guys are gone.

If, after four years, you are only getting worse instead of better, it means you aren't doing your job and the situation needs to be addressed.

However, let's not get too hasty to get these guys out this season. We've got a goal to accomplish, and that is achieving the worst record in football this year.

One and Fifteeno for Geno!

http://espn.go.com/photo/2010/0916/ncf_i_gsmith1_600.jpg

BoneKrusher
10-01-2012, 08:24 AM

http://i48.tinypic.com/346vv5w.png

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Free agency has changed the game, there are no more dominant teams and when you get a player to build around he gets snagged by another team and you start over again.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about just needing new players...we're talking new GM, new head coach, hell, who knows who else we need to replace...

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Yall may think I am picking on you or trying to start shit but I think you should have never fired Haley and in time he would have made the chiefs into a hard nosed football team. He had nothing to work with last year in Palko and Orton getting hurt in his first game.

Raiders should have kept Campbell and their picks instead of getting CP .. CP is a good QB but not worth the price we paid.

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah, but I'm not talking about just needing new players...we're talking new GM, new head coach, hell, who knows who else we need to replace...

I kinda like the situation the Raiders are in now... Mark Davis knows nothing about football and relies on advisers like Madden and others to point him in the right direction on front office hiring.

TEX
10-01-2012, 08:44 AM
It really doesn't matter to me any longer. It is what it is. One could make a case that in year 4 of Pioli, the team isn't "that" much better than it was when he first took over. It's best players are still the one's he inherited. THAT is a PROBLEM. And if one argues that this team is MUCH better - where are the results? THAT is a problem as well.

Clark messed up BIG TIME with Pioli, but at the time EVERYONE thought it was an outstanding selection, so I don't blame him for that. What I can blame him for is not "fixing" the problem. Clark sticking with Pioli is exactly like Pioli sticking with Cassel. BOTH need to go.

mdchiefsfan
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I have no idea why anyone is depressed about the situation, which is beginning to border on a perfect season.

What's the problem(s) with this team?

Cassel. Crennel. Pioli.

A total crap out of the 2012 season virtually ensures that these guys are gone.

If, after four years, you are only getting worse instead of better, it means you aren't doing your job and the situation needs to be addressed.

However, let's not get too hasty to get these guys out this season. We've got a goal to accomplish, and that is achieving the worst record in football this year.

One and Fifteeno for Geno!

http://espn.go.com/photo/2010/0916/ncf_i_gsmith1_600.jpg

Blow for geno?

Chiefshrink
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM

:thumb:

There is absolutely NO LEADERSHIP on this team whatsoever !!!

siberian khatru
10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Blow for geno?

Well, if that's what it takes. But do I have to swallow?

HemiEd
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Yall may think I am picking on you or trying to start shit but I think you should have never fired Haley and in time he would have made the chiefs into a hard nosed football team. He had nothing to work with last year in Palko and Orton getting hurt in his first game.

Raiders should have kept Campbell and their picks instead of getting CP .. CP is a good QB but not worth the price we paid.

I was behind Haley until the Palko debacle.

If I am spending my time and money to watch this team and the head coach intentionally sabotages the teams chance to win, I want him fired.

Many of us had our suspicions at the time that he was rebelling, and they have been substantiated.

Nzoner
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
My anger and frustration boiled over almost seven years ago,so to all of you feeling kicked in the balls,I feel your pain.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131537

htismaqe
10-01-2012, 08:57 AM
It really doesn't matter to me any longer. It is what it is. One could make a case that in year 4 of Pioli, the team isn't "that" much better than it was when he first took over. It's best players are still the one's he inherited. THAT is a PROBLEM. And if one argues that this team is MUCH better - where are the results? THAT is a problem as well.

Clark messed up BIG TIME with Pioli, but at the time EVERYONE thought it was an outstanding selection, so I don't blame him for that. What I can blame him for is not "fixing" the problem. Clark sticking with Pioli is exactly like Pioli sticking with Cassel. BOTH need to go.

:bravo:

Deberg_1990
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
My anger and frustration boiled over almost seven years ago,so to all of you feeling kicked in the balls,I feel your pain.

Is that when you gave up your tickets? Thats looking like one of the smartest decisions you have ever made. : )

ChiTown
10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Well, if that's what it takes. But do I have to swallow?

LMAO

Nzoner
10-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Is that when you gave up your tickets? Thats looking like one of the smartest decisions you have ever made. : )

Yep,that was when I said enough is enough.I've been to maybe three games since.

kaplin42
10-01-2012, 09:32 AM

I know this is brought up a lot lately, and as a Chiefs fan in LA I want to say NO!

1. So much money was just dumped into Arrowhead, they aren't going anywhere.

2. I wouldn't want to see my Chiefs defieled by this shit hole.

BourbonMan
10-01-2012, 09:40 AM

..and how quiet it was...I've never heard it that quiet before.:huh:

Mr. Arrowhead
10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
seriously I dont know why people would go to these games and waste their hard earn money, when you can see them suck ass just as bad on tv. I decided this year, that instead of going to any games, I bought sunday NFL ticket so I can actually watch good football after the chiefs suck.

Bearcat
10-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Heh...

Funny how a 2 year old thread is still relevant today.

...going on 7 years now.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
LMAO

No shit. As damned well she should. And what MAN would wear such a travesty?

frankotank
10-01-2012, 10:53 AM
if you drink enough beer, everything’s fine.”

http://www.brewitup.com/images/beer_better.jpg

when it comes to Cheaps games, the only way this works these days is by drinking yourself into a full on black out. this effectively delays the pain until the next day. still sucks being a fan, but you dodged a whole day of misery! :D

tooge
10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
you know, the Royals lost a generation of fans. Glass was so cheap and inept that literally and entire generation of kansas citians lost interest in following the royals. The chiefs are on the verge of seeing the same thing happen. Little kids will start following other teams, particularly if chiefs blackouts become very regular. All of a sudden, its 10 years later, and you've got Rams fans and Bronco fans all over town. This is my team. I love the chiefs. I understand you win some and you lose some. The level of futility however, has become what it was in Cinncinati for 25 years. Probably the only thing that would make me quit rooting for the chiefs is if they did indeed land the top pick in the draft, retain Pioli, and Crennell, and then not take a QB. I'd be done.

Guru
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Heh...

...going on 7 years now.

yeah, I was looking at the last time it was bumped at the time.

frankotank
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/280825_449124081777175_1231794159_o.jpg

Guru
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/280825_449124081777175_1231794159_o.jpg

LMAO

ghak99
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I know this is brought up a lot lately, and as a Chiefs fan in LA I want to say NO!

1. So much money was just dumped into Arrowhead, they aren't going anywhere.

2. I wouldn't want to see my Chiefs defieled by this shit hole.

LA sucks that bad?

Discuss Thrower
10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
you know, the Royals lost a generation of fans. Glass was so cheap and inept that literally and entire generation of kansas citians lost interest in following the royals. The chiefs are on the verge of seeing the same thing happen. Little kids will start following other teams, particularly if chiefs blackouts become very regular. All of a sudden, its 10 years later, and you've got Rams fans and Bronco fans all over town. This is my team. I love the chiefs. I understand you win some and you lose some. The level of futility however, has become what it was in Cinncinati for 25 years. Probably the only thing that would make me quit rooting for the chiefs is if they did indeed land the top pick in the draft, retain Pioli, and Crennell, and then not take a QB. I'd be done.

On the verge? I can count on one hand the number of Chiefs fans I know my age.

They have no fanbase in young people in SWMO. It's Cardinals baseball fans, OU/Arkansas/Mizzou football fans in arguably equal degrees and then Rams fans.

kcgizmo
10-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Dolphins Fans Raise $1,500 To Fly "Fire Jeff Ireland" Banner Over Jets Game

I am all for this. set it up I will donate

kcgizmo
10-01-2012, 12:09 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/miami-fans-hire-plane-to-_n_1152134.html

this is the link to the article if you care to read about it.

Richard_Cuckold
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Its the losses yes but the most frustrating thing is they arent even remotely competitive.

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Its the losses yes but the most frustrating thing is they arent even reootely competitive.

That's me, losing is one thing but I can't stand to see my team get dominated in every aspect of the game.

gblowfish
10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Keitzman is ranting like Fescoe this afternoon. Guess it's his time to throw his tantrum.

zigbazah
10-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Dang... at least some of you are old enough to have seen the glory years. In my relativity young lifetime, I've never seen a playoff win. :facepalm:

TEX
10-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Dang... at least some of you are old enough to have seen the glory years. In my relativity young lifetime, I've never seen a playoff win. :facepalm:

LOL! I was at he last win in the Astrodome against the Oilers. (You know them as the Titans) WHAT A GAME!

bevischief
10-01-2012, 02:30 PM
There are still fans watching the Keystone Chiefs?

Iowanian
10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
"I'm not saying Coach Haley wasn't a butthole.....but he threw me the damn ball"

3rd&48ers
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Coach Haley had that fire, sure he was an asshole but he is trusted enough to lead the Steelers O .... I think KC messed up by hiring a retread for HC and thats not a slam because I think Romeo is a good guy and I think he is a good man to have on a coaching staff but I don't think he is HC material.

We have people already crying about firing Hue Jackson on my side but I am not one of them.

Chocolate Hog
10-01-2012, 02:51 PM

You never been to a KU game?

BourbonMan
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
You never been to a KU game?

:LOL::LOL:

mikey23545
10-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Are you traveling at close to the speed of light?

Guru
10-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Keitzman is ranting like Fescoe this afternoon. Guess it's his time to throw his tantrum.

He did? When I turned on 810 at the start of the program he was talking about golf.