PDA

View Full Version : Football RGIII Calls Plays After Headset Malfunction

Jive Ass
10-02-2012, 12:12 AM
To take our minds off of the Chiefs for a moment and shine the light on a player getting some well-earned respect...

Did a quick search and didn't see any mention of this yet.

Robert Griffin III had to fend off both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and faulty technology as he led the Washington Redskins on a game-winning drive in a 24-22 victory despite a malfunctioning headset preventing him from hearing play calls.

The rookie was forced to call some of his team's plays as the Redskins went 56 yards in 1:39 to set up Billy Cundiff's 41-yard field goal. Griffin described the scenario -- and the practice that prepared him for it -- in his post-game press conference.

The whole drive was a little complicated. In practice, every week, we always practice me calling the plays in two-minute acting as if the headset goes out. The funny thing is the headset did go out on that drive. That's why I was having to run back and forth from the sideline. I had to call a couple of my own plays. And we moved the chains and got in field goal range. It was very neat how that practice situation, that practice scenario, actually played out in the game. Obviously you don't want that to happen, but it's pretty cool.

Griffin's poise with the game on the line would have been impressive enough for a rookie quarterback trailing on the road regardless of the broken headset. That he was on his own and executed so well in the game will just make Washington fans swoon even more for their new franchise quarterback.

Old news since it's from yesterday, but whatever. Happy for the 'Skins. Here's the article with the video.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/10/1/3437056/rgiii-called-plays-game-winning-drive-headset-out

Brock
10-02-2012, 12:14 AM
He's so badass.

Dayze
10-02-2012, 12:14 AM
He's too dumb to play pro qb. He's black, and ran the spread.

Count Alex's Wins
10-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Not worth multiple picks.

Loser who can't even complete 70 percent of his passes.

Dayze
10-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Cassel scored a 70% on his drivers test. Kept overshooting stopping in the parking spot

Chiefspants
10-02-2012, 12:19 AM
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/281705/dc-sports-nexus.gif

Chiefs Pantalones
10-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Cassel would've referred to the flash cards his wife made stashed in his sock.

Consistent1
10-02-2012, 12:26 AM
He has looked pretty nice so far. Hope he holds up, running it a lot. Even that gif is a serious hit. Sweet so far though.

Dayze
10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Cassel would've referred to the flash cards his wife made stashed in his sock.

Lol.....
She sucks too. Apparently all the flash cards read "Omaha, Omaha". Which makes Cassel more retarded, because he still needs to refer to them

ThaVirus
10-02-2012, 12:27 AM
LMAO That gif is great. That was his first TD right?

Chiefspants
10-02-2012, 12:28 AM
LMAO That gif is great. That was his first TD right?

It was, that eighty yard bomb really set the tone in New Orleans.

Kyle DeLexus
10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
We want Geno.

Dayze
It was, that eighty yard bomb really set the tone in New Orleans.

We don't need that shit. That play doesn't take hardly any time off the clock

Count Alex's Wins
Look at this. RGIII is like having a Jamaal Charles with a howitzer. Who can speak english.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1380709/RG333.gif

Munson
10-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Good thing we made absolutely no attempt to trade up for him.

Dylan
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5762893/152651515_extra_large_huge.jpg
Robert Griffin III #10 of the Washington Redskins lays on the ground after being hit hard.

Robert Griffin III takes responsibility for the hits he’s taking, and how he can take fewer

Washington Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan and rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III often say that every experience is an opportunity to learn a lesson. Griffin came away from Sunday’s loss — a game in which he was sacked six times, hit on seven other passing plays, tackled hard on 12 running plays and was dizzy and had to be checked for a concussion after one of them — with two crucial lessons learned.

Defenders can legally hit him on option plays, even right after he pitches the ball. To avoid some of those punishing hits, he can take measures to help protect himself.

Against the St. Louis Rams on Sept. 16, Griffin rushed for 82 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 7.5 yards per carry. Because of that success, the Cincinnati Bengals last Sunday came after the rookie quarterback every chance they could.

More than once, the Redskins and their fans held their breath as the quarterback had to scrape himself off the grass at FedEx Field. On one third-quarter play, Griffin dove for the end zone, got hit hard, stood up, and then went back to the ground. He admitted Wednesday that he was dizzy and was checked for a concussion on the sideline. But he passed the test and kept playing.

After weeks of saying that he wasn’t concerned for Griffin’s safety, Shanahan said Monday that his quarterback couldn't keep taking so many big shots. Griffin’s teammates also expressed concern about the poundings he takes.

“Every Monday we come in here and I’m looking at him out of the corner of my eye, making sure he’s okay,” left guard Kory Lichtensteiger said. “But he’s a tough guy, and he’s not going to complain about it. You don’t like seeing your quarterback, especially a guy that’s carrying the load that he is, taking those kinds of hits.”

Shanahan, Lichtensteiger and other Redskins players say they have to do a better job of blocking for Griffin. But Shanahan said Griffin was to blame for some of the hits he took.

“[There were] probably seven or eight hits a game that he didn’t have to take at all, and he’s gonna get better and better at that,” Shanahan said. “We want to limit the hits. That’s one thing about the option — that you’ve got a chance, really, not to take a lot of hits.”

After going back over the film of the Bengals game with his coaches, Griffin agreed.

“On some of the option plays, [I should] just make it more clear to the refs — whatever refs we have — that I don’t have the ball, because then they can’t hit me,” Griffin told reporters Wednesday. “But if I don’t come out with my hands up, then they think I have the ball, and legally they can hit me. So, just make it clear to them that I don’t have the ball, and if I do get one of those shots, then we get 15 yards.”

That would seem to put the quarterback in a bit of a predicament. One of the elements that makes the option offense work so effectively is a quarterback’s ability to sell fakes. Would a less fervent acting job diminish Griffin’s effectiveness when he pitches the ball? And how difficult or easy is it for him to retrain his instincts?

“You take some of those shots to the face and you’ll learn real fast,” Griffin said with a laugh. “I thought they were not legal hits, but coach informed me that, technically, they can hit me.”

Jokingly waiving his arms in the air, Griffin continued: “I guess I’ll be running around with my arms up a lot more, letting them know, ‘I don’t have the ball. Please hit me if you want to give us another 15 yards.”

The real key, Griffin said, is quicker decision-making.

“The plays are moving so fast that I really don’t need to do too much,” he said. “It’s just as soon as the ball is snapped: What’s he doing? Is he coming upfield, is he going down hard, is he in between? And then make my decision off of that instead of, I guess, taking a step toward him and draw him in, because I got hit in the face a couple times on those.”

While Shanahan praised Griffin for his competitive fire, the coach said that some of the quarterback’s tendency to hold onto the ball can be chalked up to his lack of experience.

“When you’re in college, you extend that fake,” Shanahan said. “Sometimes you pull the team, but in the National Football League, if those defensive ends or outside linebackers give you a smack right in the face, it’s not worth it. They’re going to try to give him a smack anyhow, and when he does that, he’ll get a 15-yard penalty. It’s just different things you show on film. That’s just different things that you do to stay healthy and kind of entice somebody into giving you a shot.”

Griffin said that he is beginning to understand the differences and aims to play smarter. Once Sunday comes, and if he finds his team in need of a big play, however, all of this could change.

“The way I look at it, I’m here to help this team win,” he said, “whether it’s handing the ball off and watching Alfred [Morris] and a couple of those guys go to work, or if it’s taking a heavier load.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-learns-the-hard-way-he-needs-to-avoid-getting-hit-so-much/2012/09/26/81d4c608-0821-11e2-a10c-fa5a255a9258_story.html

Dylan
10-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Andrew Luck

http://i.minus.com/ibpFraFi3M1zfw.gif

Great ball placement.

Chiefspants
10-02-2012, 12:54 AM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5762893/152651515_extra_large_huge.jpg

Keep crossing your fingers, shanny is playing with fire by using the option with him. If Griffin is able to develop, your Giants may have quite the rival for the indefinite future.

Dylan
10-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Keep crossing your fingers, shanny is playing with fire by using the option with him. If Griffin is able to develop, your Giants may have quite the rival for the indefinite future.

I don't think The Giants have anything to prove. To be the best you have to beat the best.

Griffin has to become a true pocket passer. My concern about Robert Griffin III is whether he can stay healthy in the future -

Eagles' fans are clamoring for Nick Foles - Vick was injured again in Sunday night's game against Giants.

Eagles fans' do not want a spread read option quarterback. They're done with those type of quarterbacks. Can you blame them?

Consistent1
10-02-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't think The Giants have anything to prove. To be the best you have to beat the best.

Griffin has to become a true pocket passer. My concern about Robert Griffin III is whether he can stay healthy in the future -

Eagles' fans are clamoring for Nick Foles - Vick was injured again in Sunday night's game against Giants.

Eagles fans' do not want a spread read option quarterback. They're done with those type of quarterbacks. Can you blame them?

Very true. Vick is still a nasty talented athlete for all the stuff he has been through. Always a risk though. RG III is still on a high, but let's see in a couple of years. He has talent to become a true passer and still be "elusive".

Sorter
10-02-2012, 01:36 AM
. He has talent to become a true passer and still be "elusive".

I disagree. To me, it is too late in Vick's career to try and turn him into a quality pocket passer. If Reid had been given him 3 years into his career, then yes.

However, it is harder for older guys to pick up skills and drill them to the point they come out reflexively. I hope I'm wrong, as I'd like to see Vick survive hisNFL career but I doubt it.

Chiefspants
10-02-2012, 01:37 AM

Oh, I wasn't implying your Giants have anything to prove, I just noticed that you were quick to chime in with that article. ;) I believe RGIII has shown that he has the tools that Vick has only ever dreamt of, but hopefully these skills can blossom before Shanny murders him with the option.

Consistent1
10-02-2012, 01:57 AM
I disagree. To me, it is too late in Vick's career to try and turn him into a quality pocket passer. If Reid had been given him 3 years into his career, then yes.

However, it is harder for older guys to pick up skills and drill them to the point they come out reflexively. I hope I'm wrong, as I'd like to see Vick survive hisNFL career but I doubt it.

I was talking about RG III. I agree, Vick is what he is at this point.

qabbaan
10-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Good thing we made absolutely no attempt to trade up for him.

The Redskins paid a fortune, and this guy is far from a proven commodity. At the time I don't know if many people would have been in favor of that trade.

Dave Lane
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Damn I wanted him in Chiefs red so bad :(

RippedmyFlesh
10-02-2012, 07:59 AM
The Redskins paid a fortune, and this guy is far from a proven commodity. At the time I don't know if many people would have been in favor of that trade.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwwBSZp7WnmEnFgrvL4TpvPxPSh1bG1mKy1_OwESn-TWSeniyZkA

eazyb81
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
St. Louis will regret trading down and passing up the chance to draft him. Bradford is obviously a bum and a few more years of experience will not change that.

With a Pro Bowl QB in place and Dan Snyder's checkbook, Washington will win a Super Bowl in a few years.

notorious
10-02-2012, 08:39 AM
St. Louis will regret trading down and passing up the chance to draft him. Bradford is obviously a bum and a few more years of experience will not change that.

With a Pro Bowl QB in place and Dan Snyder's checkbook, Washington will win a Super Bowl in a few years.

This.

Unless they use one or both of the first rounders they got to get a new QB.

tredadda
10-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Yeah, too risky. Can't risk giving up future first round d-linemen and o-linemen for a possible once in a generation QB. Hey we got Cassel, and he grades out perfectly and according to Pioli is good enough to win a championship with. :doh!:

Predarat
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
RGIII is a bad mother fucker. He could beat the shit out of Chuck Norris.

Bane
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
God hates KC.

Brock
10-02-2012, 11:56 AM

LMAO The stadium would be sold out week in week out, the fanbase would be excited and energized, the national media would be talking about KC, Pioi would be executive of the decade again, etc.

Instead it's gloom and malaise. Great call.

YourMom
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM

He was more proven than Cassel before he entered the fucking draft. Clearly, the Chiefs organization doesn't take into consideration what the fans are or aren't in favor of. We weren't exactly clamoring for Poe.

whoman69
10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Cassel would fall down crumpled to the turf in fetal position with his thumb in his mouth if this happened.

Dylan
10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh, I wasn't implying your Giants have anything to prove, I just noticed that you were quick to chime in with that article. ;) I believe RGIII has shown that he has the tools that Vick has only ever dreamt of, but hopefully these skills can blossom before Shanny murders him with the option.

Agreed. But, will he change?

NFL teams look for a franchise quarterback to build around for the next 12-15 years - and not all rookies will make such an impact.

As a quarterback who runs in an open field should expect blows to the body that over time will affect the longevity of his career.

When you stand in the pocket, you are going to be hit - But when you are running down the field, you are setting the tone for defenses to deliver devastating blows on the quarterback.

With that said, now would be an ideal time to discuss defenses with eyes on punishing running quarterbacks. ;) (j/k)

Chiefspants
10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Agreed. But, will he change?

NFL teams look for a franchise quarterback to build around for the next 12-15 years - and not all rookies will make such an impact.

As a quarterback who runs in an open field should expect blows to the body that over time will affect the longevity of his career.

When you stand in the pocket, you are going to be hit - But when you are running down the field, you are setting the tone for defenses to deliver devastating blows on the quarterback.

With that said, now would be an ideal time to discuss defenses with eyes on punishing running quarterbacks. ;) (j/k)

This wouldn't be the same defense that destroyed Mr. Brady last year, would it? ;)

In all seriousness, though, it would be a shame if Shanny continues to use him in that way. He won't last long in an option type of offense, and unlike other running quarterbacks, he has the arm to be absolutely elite. Shanahan is playing with fire by placing RGIII in harm's way like he his now, as Griffin truly has the talent to be something special.