PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Here's how I'd handle the QB situation...

jcroft
10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I'm frustrated like everyone else and so I'll play Tuesday morning GM. This assumes Pioli and Crennel stay, which isn't my preference, but it's what I believe is going to happen, so we're stuck with it.

1. Stick with Cassel through the bye week. He'll struggle and be terrible, but the season is lost anyway, and he's better than the other options we have, so that's that. Cut Cassel at the bye.
2. Right away, get on the horn with some teams about making a trade for a young backup that has some potential. Ryan Mallet. Mike Kafka or Nick Foles. Colin Kaepernick. Chase Daniel. Colt McCoy. Joe Webb. None of these guys are likely to be any better than Cassel right now, but at least they're young and have some potential for upside. Get one of them, and throw them in there as the starter ASAP (preferably right after the bye week). Let them learn on this system on the job. Again, the season is shot, so who cares if they struggle. It'll re-energize the fan base and by next season this guy should be ready to compete for the starting job. And he'll be competing with...
3. Draft a guy in the first round next year. I'm a Geno Smith guy, but I honestly don't care who it is. Scout 'em, pick your guy, and go get him.
4. Sign a free agent veteran QB this offseason. It doesn't much matter who it is. Someone who's been around and you trust can make do in a pinch. Maybe Brady Quinn can be this guy, but personally I prefer someone new, myself.

You go into next season with a wide open quarterback battle, featuring a first-round rookie, a young guy that still has upside, and an unremarkable (but hopefully reliable) veteran. May the best man win.

The bottom line for me is: I don't want one new quarterback for 2013. I want AT LEAST two. I want a first-rounder AND someone else who is more inspiring than Cassel. Let's hedge our bets. We've got a pretty good roster right now. Let's bring in two or three guys for next year, rather than counting on one. Drafting a first-rounder is great, but what if he's terrible, or God forbid, gets injured? Hedge the bets. Get at least two young, potential QBOTFs.

Thoughts?

FAX
10-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I think that's a very good plan. Let's do an aerial banner and explain it to Pioli.

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
10-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't waste a single draft pick this season. Save that ammo for the 2013 draft.

BoneKrusher
10-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I think that's a very good plan. Let's do an aerial banner and explain it to Pioli.

FAX

yeah, just make it plain and simple enough for him to understand it.
(i mean the guy thinks Cassels good for christ sake)

jcroft
10-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Fair point.

jd1020
10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
So the idea is to cut Cassel and trade for another teams trash that admittedly probably isn't better than Cassel?

SOLID!

jcroft
10-02-2012, 02:29 PM
So the idea is to cut Cassel and trade for another teams trash that admittedly probably isn't better than Cassel?

SOLID!

If you read the post, I was clear that while the "other team's trash" may not be better than Cassel TODAY, he's got talent, youth, and upside...none of which Cassel posseses.

jd1020
10-02-2012, 02:30 PM
If you read the post, I was clear that while the "other team's trash" may not be better than Cassel TODAY, he's got talent, youth, and upside...none of which Cassel posses.

Upside like Stanzi.

jcroft
10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Upside like Stanzi.

Okay, what's your plan?

jd1020
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Okay, what's your plan?

Ride Cassel/Quinn through the year.

Cut Cassel.

Let Quinn walk.

Draft a QB.

Sign some chump in FA.

WTF would you want to cut Cassel midseason to trade for some backup? Stupid.

frankotank
10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
here's how I've handled the QB situation.....

http://biblicalhorizons.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/drink_beer.jpg

DaneMcCloud
10-02-2012, 02:34 PM

This. Why waste a draft on a QB that may or may not fit the next head coach's offensive system?

Also, there's no way NE parts with Mallet and no fucking way Philly parts with Foles.

Overall, thumbs down.

L.A. Chieffan
10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
The season isn't lost yet...

keg in kc
10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Upside like Stanzi.God I hope not. Let's try to get somebody who can actually play.

notorious
10-02-2012, 02:52 PM

You're like a turd that won't flush.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4676696134582974&id=83e6c51a1a02c7766ed8066f6be40928

SNR
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Cassel's probably feeling miserable right now, but he owes it to the fans to stick this year out. He was never welcome as a franchise QB, and now he'll have to suffer through getting booed for six more home games and put up with an entire season's worth of "CUT CASSEL" posters around town.

But believe it or not, we NEED him. I'd really rather not run the remote risk of trotting out Quinn or Stanzi and having them poop out some Palko-like win.

We've finally found a use for Cassel, and can't let him back out of it now that he's useful.

King_Chief_Fan
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
If you read the post, I was clear that while the "other team's trash" may not be better than Cassel TODAY, he's got talent, youth, and upside...none of which Cassel posseses.

and who is assessing said potential? NO to your solution of other than Cassel.........YES to your cut Cassel

King_Chief_Fan
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Cassel's probably feeling miserable right now, but he owes it to the fans to stick this year out. He was never welcome as a franchise QB, and now he'll have to suffer through getting booed for six more home games and put up with an entire season's worth of "CUT CASSEL" posters around town.

But believe it or not, we NEED him. I'd really rather not run the remote risk of trotting out Quinn or Stanzi and having them poop out some Palko-like win.

We've finally found a use for Cassel, and can't let him back out of it now that he's useful.

he can stomach the boos.....he goes home each nite laughing at that pile of $60M

Straight, No Chaser
10-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Not that anyone cares, but I'm frustrated like everyone else and so I'll play Tuesday morning GM. This assumes Pioli and Crennel stay, which isn't my preference, but it's what I believe is going to happen, so we're stuck with it.

Thoughts?

Sure, by the numbers:

1. Not -it's called egoli saving face.
2. Trade who? for that lot?
3. I'm down with this. But we will probably win enough games to be shut out for the top picks--it's the way it goes for Chief fans.
4. Got any ideas? The one's available now make Cassel look good in our system...

There is just enough quality & pride on this team to get enough wins.

--Oh, and BTW take the Chiefs and the points this weekend. That flying f-off banner sounds real cool but if we beat the Ravens it nose dives fast.

saphojunkie
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Honestly, the best thing we can do right now is stick with Romeo and Cassel. Don't allow any room for a "spark."

oldman
10-02-2012, 04:41 PM
At this point, I just want to see MC on the bench, even for a quarter. I want Pioli, Clark, and Romeo to admit "MAYBE" Matt's not a NFL starter. Then I want to see his young ass out the door as soon as we can cut him, end of season. Keep Quinn and Tanney, cut Stanzi, and draft a first round QB. If he doesn't work out, draft another one next year, and the next, and the next.

CaliforniaChief
10-02-2012, 04:44 PM
If we're in the top 10, we can move up and get our QBOTF if we surrender a couple of firsts down the road. I'm all for it. For what you give up in picks, you really don't give up a lot of money. RG3 got $21 million for 4 years. So the first thing you do is whatever it takes to get the guy you want as your QBOTF. I think Geno Smith is that guy. Pioli probably thinks it's James Vandenberg. That's the big problem.

And then, you get a guy who can actually help your QBOTF grow into the position...as a coach and then as your primary backup.

Oh yeah, and trade Cassel back to the Patriots for a 6th round pick and tattoo the words "Return to Sender: Defective Product" on his ass.

BoneKrusher
10-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Keep Quinn and Tanney, cut Stanzi, and draft a first round QB. If he doesn't work out, draft another one next year, and the next, and the next.

yep.
no more Bullshit of keeping a QB for four years who cant even put a hat on his head.

whoman69
10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Trading picks for other team's throwaways is the Chiefs way. Let's not continue down that road. There is no useful purpose of playing Cassel any further. He is a proven fail. We need to look at the future and the future is not Matt Cassel.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Keep Tanney and cut Stanzi.

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I like the spirit.

At this point, you go with Quinn, give him 5 games, and if he doesn't light it up, go with stanzi.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
My plan:

Start Stanzi against Tampa and let him sink or swim the rest of the year.

It's a win win because sometimes when you win, you really lose and sometimes when you lose, you really win.

Can someone tell me what the upside of playing Quinn over Stanzi is at this point?

FFS let our own kid play for once, rather than somebody elses trash.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
My plan:

Start Stanzi against Tampa and let him sink or swim the rest of the year.

It's a win win because sometimes when you win, you really lose and sometimes when you lose, you really win.

Can someone tell me what the upside of playing Quinn over Stanzi is at this point?

FFS let our own kid play for once, rather than somebody elses trash.

Well, for one, playing Quinn is GUARANTEED to lose a bunch of games whereas Stanzi MIGHT not stink.

At this point, we need a housecleaning and a top 5 pick, so I'll go with Quinn.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I like the spirit.

At this point, you go with Quinn, give him 5 games, and if he doesn't light it up, go with stanzi.

Why not the other way around?

suds79
10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Keep Tanney and cut Stanzi.

LMAO

:thumb: I like it. Since this thread is all about what you'd do. That's what I'd honestly do. Full tank mode and not ashamed of it.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 04:58 PM
:thumb: I like it. Since this thread is all about what you'd do. That's what I'd honestly do. Full tank mode and not ashamed of it.

Sorry but ditching Stanzi and keeping Tanney is a silly idea. If you cut one of them, you should cut them both.

suds79
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry but ditching Stanzi and keeping Tanney is a silly idea. If you cut one of them, you should cut them both.

To me they're both irrelevant and don't factor into our plans.

Cut one. Cut both. Either or. just lose games.

Marcellus
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Don't waste a single draft pick this season. Save that ammo for the 2013 draft and our new GM.

Slight addition to your post.

chiefzilla1501
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Why not the other way around?

Because sadly I believe that if our backup struggles, that's more justification to march cassel back out there then blame the supporting cast.

Brady Quinn is much more nfl ready. Theres still a longshot hope that he's better than what his situation has allowed. And he will be better than cassel, which right now, is all I care about. I just want a guy who assures us that cassel is out for good.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Well, for one, playing Quinn is GUARANTEED to lose a bunch of games whereas Stanzi MIGHT not stink.

At this point, we need a housecleaning and a top 5 pick, so I'll go with Quinn.

I know I'm gonna get burned for this, but I really don't care.

The 2001 Patriots were 0-3 when Brady got his shot.

Do I think Stanzi can fill a similar role?...almost certainly not...but I guess I'd rather see our own kid sink or swim than another round of somebody elses trash go out there and stink.

Stanzi would have to play GREAT for him to play us out of position to draft a franchise qb prospect.

The Dallas Cowboys moved up from the 17 slot all the way up to 6 with only a 2nd round pick.

OMG STANZI MIGHT SUCCEED, BETTER NOT PLAY HIM.

Marcellus
10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
If I was the coach I would take turns starting Tanney, Quinn, and Stanzi the next 12 games. 4 games each but rotating, just to keep things interesting and to piss of Cassel.

Maybe have each of them play a different quarter each game instead.

Keep Cassel active and every now and then go by him and say you want to go in? Then just start laughing and walk away.

chiefzilla1501
10-02-2012, 05:06 PM

1. Stick with Cassel through the bye week. He'll struggle and be terrible, but the season is lost anyway, and he's better than the other options we have, so that's that. Cut Cassel at the bye.
2. Right away, get on the horn with some teams about making a trade for a young backup that has some potential. Ryan Mallet. Mike Kafka or Nick Foles. Colin Kaepernick. Chase Daniel. Colt McCoy. Joe Webb. None of these guys are likely to be any better than Cassel right now, but at least they're young and have some potential for upside. Get one of them, and throw them in there as the starter ASAP (preferably right after the bye week). Let them learn on this system on the job. Again, the season is shot, so who cares if they struggle. It'll re-energize the fan base and by next season this guy should be ready to compete for the starting job. And he'll be competing with...
3. Draft a guy in the first round next year. I'm a Geno Smith guy, but I honestly don't care who it is. Scout 'em, pick your guy, and go get him.
4. Sign a free agent veteran QB this offseason. It doesn't much matter who it is. Someone who's been around and you trust can make do in a pinch. Maybe Brady Quinn can be this guy, but personally I prefer someone new, myself.

You go into next season with a wide open quarterback battle, featuring a first-round rookie, a young guy that still has upside, and an unremarkable (but hopefully reliable) veteran. May the best man win.

The bottom line for me is: I don't want one new quarterback for 2013. I want AT LEAST two. I want a first-rounder AND someone else who is more inspiring than Cassel. Let's hedge our bets. We've got a pretty good roster right now. Let's bring in two or three guys for next year, rather than counting on one. Drafting a first-rounder is great, but what if he's terrible, or God forbid, gets injured? Hedge the bets. Get at least two young, potential QBOTFs.

Thoughts?

Cassel will get destroyed. The chiefs have to make a switch by halftime or there will be a mutiny during the bye week. I really, really, really hope he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his ass.

Fritz88
10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
1. Stick with Cassel through the bye week.

Stopped reading right there..

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2012, 05:09 PM
If I was the coach I would take turns starting Tanney, Quinn, and Stanzi the next 12 games. 4 games each but rotating, just to keep things interesting and to piss of Cassel.

Maybe have each of them play a different quarter each game instead.

Keep Cassel active and every now and then go by him and say you want to go in? Then just start laughing and walk away.

Tanney is on IR.

Marcellus
10-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Tanney is on IR.

Well, dang there goes my whole plan.

I am sure there are plenty of scrubs to pick up to fill that roll.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
To me they're both irrelevant and don't factor into our plans.

Cut both of them then and be done with it.

L.A. Chieffan
10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Do you think Pioli would put Quinn in against the ravens knowing that'll he'll probably get destroyed against that defense, and then people will be begging to put Cassell back in. And then he can say See, I told you so.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you think Pioli would put Quinn in against the ravens knowing that'll he'll probably get destroyed against that defense, and then people will be begging to put Cassell back in. And then he can say See, I told you so.

Absolutely.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Haha @ begging to put Cassel back in.

The guy threw 3 picks and fumbled once in his last start.

The fans would be calling for either Stanzi or for them to sign a guy like Gerrard.

htismaqe
10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Haha @ begging to put Cassel back in.

The guy threw 3 picks and fumbled once in his last start.

The fans would be calling for either Stanzi or for them to sign a guy like Gerrard.

There's a contingent of fans who still believe he's the best option for the team. These same fans saw a couple of quarters of Stanzi in the preseason and have made up their mind that he sucks.

You underestimate our fellow fans.

BoneKrusher
10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
send Pioli back to New England?
http://i46.tinypic.com/2lks5d3.png

Bill Lundberg
10-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Sign David Garrard now, get him up to speed so he can start after bye week. Let new GM, and HC draft their franchise QB. Ride Warpaint into the sunset with Superbowl Trophy in hand and Warpaint's rider in lap.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
John Clayton just said on NFL live that if Cassel doesnt turn things around the next two weeks...Quinn is gonna be the quarterback.

SNR
10-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Who the hell cares if the coaching staff gets an excuse to put Cassel back out there? Matty already played himself out of a job.

NOTHING he does will matter, and nothing Stanzi or Quinn does will matter. Cassel will not be a Kansas City Chief after this year. There's no way. So whatever. Line him up as the starting center. Put him in at CB. Run the Wildcat. Run the Pistol spread. Trade him back to the Patriots. He's gone no matter what.

If you guys want to see Quinn or Stanzi play, that's fine, but don't make your decisions based on Matt's future. He has none.

BigMeatballDave
10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
John Clayton just said on NFL live that if Cassel doesnt turn things around the next two weeks...Quinn is gonna be the quarterback.

Looks like your prediction may come to fruition.

BoneKrusher
10-02-2012, 06:28 PM

sounds like you were spot on BC. :thumb:

BossChief
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
WOW.

They also said that the Chiefs have turned the ball over 15 times and Cassel was responsible for 10 of them.

He is the league leader in something, afterall.

BossChief
10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like your prediction may come to fruition.

sounds like you were spot on BC. :thumb:Thanks, but it doesn't mean a lot when Quinn is gonna be the replacement. We all know how this is gonna end...we will win one too many games to miss out on drafting Geno and the GM won't even give it his best shot to move up.

I'm just really disappointed that Stanzi got such a raw deal in preseason.

I still think wholeheartedly that Stanzi should be the guy that takes over at the bye and that they should deactivate Cassel completely

If Quinn or Stanzi gets hurt, sign Gerrard or dig in the scrap heap.

keg in kc
10-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm just really disappointed that Stanzi got such a raw deal in preseason.Raw deal. Hah.

DaneMcCloud
10-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Raw deal. Hah.

Rausch
10-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Chiefs Here's how I'd handle the QB situation...

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/best_animated_gif_nuclear_explosion.gif

BoneKrusher
10-02-2012, 06:41 PM

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/best_animated_gif_nuclear_explosion.gif

that should do it. :thumb:

BossChief
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Raw deal. Hah.

Go back and objectively judge the plays he is getting blamed for.

I think tk13, phobia and myself are the only ones that see the plays for what they really are....Stanzi getting hit by the time his back foot hits on nearly 80% of his drop backs.

Give the guy the pockets Cassel has gotten and the weapons Cassel has at his disposal and the kid will play well.

Flachief58
10-02-2012, 06:49 PM

That's where you're wrong. It's over, I know you're trolling but, damn

Rain Man
10-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Remember when there was speculation that Pioli and Belichick were conspiring due to the low price we paid for Cassel? I think we can clear them of all charges.

whoman69
10-02-2012, 08:41 PM

I hope there wasn't anyone on those ships.

ChiefRocka
10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Lock Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi in a room and fight to the death...winner can QB the team for the rest of the year.

Oh Snap
10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Cassel still seems as if he is trying to earn the teams respect and confidence...he has been trying for the past four years. As every fan from the NFL will tell ya, its time for the Chiefs to cut Cassel. He isn't any better today than he was four years ago. I honestly thought that the 2010 season was his make or break season. He had a few good games, like the one against the seahawks....but hes regressed and has no upside. He peaked, and this is as good as Cassel will ever be.

We knew he was a project QB coming into the situation. Its time for Pioli to fall on his own sword and admit Cassel is no longer going to be the chiefs answer at QB. I can't blame Cassel any longer. Its the FO and HC who keep trotting him out on the field. If they can't do what needs to be done, then Clark needs to come in and clean house asap.

DaneMcCloud
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Lock Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi in a room and fight to the death...winner can QB the team for the rest of the year.

The loser should QB the team, because they're all losers.

May the best loser win.

oRYMANo
Great plan,which is what most teams do. Go through as many Qbs as it takes. Look how many the Chargers went through after Stan Humphrsies.

Count Alex's Losses
Don't cut Cassel. You can trade him for a 7th. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
Great plan

LMAO

pimpchief
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM

I really like this idea.

oRYMANo
10-02-2012, 10:45 PM
I really like this idea.

Put Romeo in there too. And about 3 tubs of KFC chicken