PDA

View Full Version : Education Mistakes were made . . .

La literatura
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Describe a time when you were just wrong on something and made yourself look stupid or ridiculous.

I'll start. In the process of editing an article with a professor and another person, I wrote that 'such and such should be put this certain way, because such and such is an adjective, describing that noun.'

It turns out that such and such wasn't actually an adjective.

I tried to interject some humor. Life goes on. But it's an ugly feeling.

Who's next?

ClevelandBronco
10-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Personally, I don't know how you can continue to live with yourself after something like that. Time to become a homeless drug addict.

La literatura
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Personally, I don't know how you can continue to live with yourself after something like that. Time to become a homeless drug addict.

I would, but I'd be afraid people would make fun of me as they passed me by on the street.

Pitt Gorilla
10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Um, nobody in this forum makes mistakes. Ever.

La literatura
10-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Here was the situation because I know there are some grammar-minded people here.

"His father, the sun god Helios, used the sun as his chariot."

My suggestion: hyphenate "sun-god" because it is an adjective (describing Helios).

But, no, it's not an adjective. It's not describing Helios. It's identifying him, I suppose. So I guess the rule according to the Chicago Manual Style is just keep it "sun god" but perhaps in this case, put a comma after "god."

(And this has been another chapter of First World Problems).

BillSelfsTrophycase
10-03-2012, 02:00 AM
First World Problems

headsnap
10-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Cool story bro...

jjjayb
10-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Describe a time when you were just wrong on something and made yourself look stupid or ridiculous.

I'll start. In the process of editing an article with a professor and another person, I wrote that 'such and such should be put this certain way, because such and such is an adjective, describing that noun.'

It turns out that such and such wasn't actually an adjective.

I tried to interject some humor. Life goes on. But it's an ugly feeling.

Who's next?

You really should have put your bigger mistake. "I voted for Obama".

patteeu
10-03-2012, 08:17 AM
In the 7th or 8th grade, my social studies class had an airline pilot come in as a guest speaker during "career week" to tell us about his job. At one point, he asked the class if anyone knew what FAA stood for. Having grown up in the rural suburbs of the KC area and having witnessed many of their conventions in town, I raised my hand and confidently answered "Future Farmers of America". It was humiliating and still haunts me to this day.

SNR
10-03-2012, 08:24 AM
First World Problems

This

pimpchief
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
This

I got a zero on a big math paper the other day because I thought I turned it in but then I found it. The teacher was cool, and went ahead and graded it instead of the zero, she said mistakes happen. What sucks is I only got twelve questions out of sixty correct.

Saul Good
10-03-2012, 09:22 AM
A little over six years ago, I didn't pull out. Now, I'm married with a five and a half year old son.

HonestChieffan
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I wasnt sure Apple would make it and should have bought a lot more.

Fish
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Trusted a woman that one time.....

cosmo20002
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM
In the 7th or 8th grade, my social studies class had an airline pilot come in as a guest speaker during "career week" to tell us about his job. At one point, he asked the class if anyone knew what FAA stood for. Having grown up in the rural suburbs of the KC area and having witnessed many of their conventions in town, I raised my hand and confidently answered "Future Farmers of America". It was humiliating and still haunts me to this day.

In hindsight, don't you wish you would have asked why the passenger windows on planes don't open?

patteeu
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
In hindsight, don't you wish you would have asked why the passenger windows on planes don't open?

No, but when I was 10 or 11, I tried to ride our unbroken pony and it danced me off it's back.

J Diddy
10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
No, but when I was 10 or 11, I tried to ride our unbroken pony and it danced me off it's back.

Ouch. That sucks, however, it explains a lot.

patteeu
10-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Ouch. That sucks, however, it explains a lot.

ROFL That was a pretty good one.

Pawnmower
10-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I tried for like 2 years to get people to be less harsh to Matt Cassel on a very cool web-forum

Pawnmower
10-03-2012, 10:32 PM
When I was in college I somehow thought the word was LITIGINOUS and not LITIGIOUS and was owned by some dork in a debate even though I was right on the issue, and all he had was an attack on my wrong word use.

J Diddy
10-03-2012, 10:33 PM
ROFL That was a pretty good one.

Been there. When I was 12 I broke my arm trying to be all gung ho on a recently broken pony.

Didn't end well for me.

That too probably explains a lot.

Pawnmower
10-03-2012, 10:33 PM
I truly thought the Chiefs would have a semi decent team this season

Pawnmower
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I got Denmark and Finalnd confused in an argument once (geographically)

Pawnmower
10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Some asshole (a friend) told me lady gaga had a penis / nub / large enough clit to be like pretty big......and I believed him...and brought it up in conversation with someone else and they looked at me like I was insane...

J Diddy
10-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I truly thought the Chiefs would have a semi decent team this season

I'm with you here. I thought we both got screwed by Lady Gaga's nub.

htismaqe
10-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Here was the situation because I know there are some grammar-minded people here.

"His father, the sun god Helios, used the sun as his chariot."

My suggestion: hyphenate "sun-god" because it is an adjective (describing Helios).

But, no, it's not an adjective. It's not describing Helios. It's identifying him, I suppose. So I guess the rule according to the Chicago Manual Style is just keep it "sun god" but perhaps in this case, put a comma after "god."

(And this has been another chapter of First World Problems).

The word "sun" is the adjective, describing the word "god".

FishingRod
10-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. That wasn’t very nice.

tooge
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
googled "chiefs fan bulletin boards"

Dayze
10-04-2012, 10:44 AM
upon stumbling upon it on CB, I found out what GOATSE is.

at the suggestion of my friend, he suggested I check out "Prolapse" on the pron site said it might b lez thing.

....huge mistakes on both accounts.

headsnap
10-04-2012, 10:54 AM
This one time, at band camp...