PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Presidential second terms

Ebolapox
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm by no means an expert, nor am I a historian that can speak fully on this issue--I only bring it up because I was talking with my wife earlier on now I've noticed that no president in my lifetime has had a second term anything short of shitty/mediocre. They're always looking after their legacy and they can't be held accountable due to the fact that they'll never have to seek re-election ever again.

The question is this--would it be a horrible thing if we made the presidency a one-term only job? you know, four years and you're gone REGARDLESS (that is, unless there's an assassination--if you serve two years of the previous president's term, you can run for re-election)? there are obviously logical pitfalls, but I'd like an honest, open discourse on this... I just don't trust any politician these days with a second term.

Thoughts?

Kyle DeLexus
10-07-2012, 02:16 AM
The negatives you mentioned would just show up immediately instead of 4 years later.

nstygma
10-07-2012, 02:25 AM
The negatives you mentioned would just show up immediately instead of 4 years later.maybe term limits should be removed altogether?

patteeu
10-07-2012, 12:29 PM
The logical error I observe is that your premise is that many Presidents who no longer have to face the voters have poor results so you want to make it so that every President is serving one of these terms from day one. I don't get your theory.

patteeu
10-07-2012, 12:30 PM
The negatives you mentioned would just show up immediately instead of 4 years later.

You said it much better than I did.

HolyHandgernade
10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
I think term limits should be eliminated entirely. If someone is doing that good of a job to deserve repeated re-election, so be it.

KChiefer
10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
How in the hell is anyone going to get to a 3rd term in today's environment?

People going apeshit over Obama.
Bush2 fights three wars(terror) and watches the economy tank.
Clinton gets crucified for lying about a BJ.
Bush1, no new taxes.
Reagan could have spent a 3rd term wondering if jellybeans belong in a western film.
Carter, no.
Nixon, fired.
LBJ, wouldn't even run again.
Kennedy, only the good die young.
Eisenhower, ok let's give him a 3rd term, but he'd be dead in his 4th.

RNR
10-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Bush1, no new taxes.
Reagan could have spent a 3rd term wondering if jellybeans belong in a western film.
Carter, no.
Nixon, fired.

You should read "No One Left To Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family" and get back to me on Clinton~

mnchiefsguy
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Bush1, no new taxes.
Carter, no.
Nixon, fired.

Clinton would have easily won a third term, despite the BJ.

KChiefer
10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
You should read "No One Left To Lie To: The Values of the Worst Family" and get back to me on Clinton~

So are you saying he would have gotten a 3rd term b/c of his ability to play both sides, or that his fall from grace was about more than a game of hide the cigar?

I don't know if he would have gotten a 3rd term. I doubt Bush2 would have run against the guy that ousted his dad, but a huge factor in Bush2's success was rallying the religious base which a sex scandal plays right into the evangelical's hands.

patteeu
10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Clinton would have easily won a third term, despite the BJ.

He would have been convicted after his impeachment if he'd been eligible for a third term, IMO.