PDA

View Full Version : Misc Food for thought - A, B, C, or D?


God of Thunder
10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/Paithology101/Nbv1H.jpg

Detoxing
10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
There's a Cassel/Pioli joke to be had here somewhere....

DrunkBassGuitar
10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Impossible to answer. i.e. no solution

Psyko Tek
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
e) none of the above
the chances are 33% because 2 of the answers are the same

n00b fail

LiL stumppy
10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
50 percent

Bugeater
10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Welp, I'm already confused. That's enough math for one fucking day.

bevischief
10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
WTF?

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 05:40 PM
B) 50

DrunkBassGuitar
10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
B) 50

I originally thought B.

But think of it like this:

Because there's 2 25% answers (which doesn't make sense and makes it a trick question) you have a 2 in 4 chance of picking 25%, so you want to pick 50%, but if the answer was 50%, then you would only have a 25% chance of randomly picking answer B. If there weren't two correct answers, then 25% would be right. But there aren't, so 25% is wrong. It's a trick question.

Bane
10-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes

FAX
10-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Hmmm ... Where are the Tampa Bay fans? This requires a genius of the gridiron ...

But, I'm going to say 0% chance you can get it right the first time.

FAX

lewdog
10-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I was always told that when you didn't know the answer to a multiple choice test, to always guess C because you have a higher chance of being right for some reason.

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
where the "none of the above" choice you dumb motherfucker

FAX
10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I was always told that when you didn't know the answer to a multiple choice test, to always guess C because you have a higher chance of being right for some reason.

I heard that, too.

Doesn't work.

That myth was started by the guy responsible for all the C answers.

FAX

Bump
10-11-2012, 05:55 PM
break it down

50% chance of picking 25%
25% chance of picking 50%
25% chance of picking 60%

so to me, none of the answers can be correct. It can't be 25% and now since there are 3 possible correct answers, it can't be 50% and it sure as hell ain't 60%.

So I'm saying there is not a correct answer for this question.

Bump
10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
"F" for you.....

50% is correct answer. The odds are 2 out of 4

It's the same as if this was a Roulette wheel or Carnival Spinning wheel with 4 numbers and two the same

lol, that's not proper logic since 25% is on there twice and if it were to be at random, the correct answer is 0%

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
"F" for you.....

50% is correct answer. The odds are 2 out of 4

It's the same as if this was a Roulette wheel or Carnival Spinning wheel with 4 numbers and two the same

Then your saying the answer 50% is correct, because the answer 25% is correct as is the other answer 25%. Therefore you're saying 3/4 answers are correct.

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:00 PM
lol, that's not proper logic since 25% is on there twice and if it were to be at random, the correct answer is 0%

- my source is me, I scored 106% in college statistics, lol. The only class I ever got more than 100% in.

DrunkBassGuitar
10-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Then your saying the answer 50% is correct, because the answer 25% is correct as is the other answer 25%. Therefore you're saying 3/4 answers are correct.

But you don't have a 50% chance of picking B, you only have a 25% chance.

So therefore there is no solution.

Bugeater
10-11-2012, 06:04 PM
But you're picking them at random, which has nothing to do with what the actual answers are.

God of Thunder
10-11-2012, 06:05 PM
My thoughts is that the answer is B. It just wants to know what the percentage is that you'll get the correct answer. If two answers are the same, that means only two remains, and your chance is 50%

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:06 PM
The probability of choosing a correct solution from 4 is 25%. as there are 2 solutions of 25% the probability becomes 50% for this particullar problem.

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
But you don't have a 50% chance of picking B, you only have a 25% chance.

So therefore there is no solution.

uh the guy implied 25% was the correct answer. and 25% is on there twice therefore he thought the answer should be 50% ----25% is on there twice which would make the answer 50%. but then your stating 3/4 answers is correct which is incorrect. There is no solution...as far as I can see

FAX
10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Then your saying the answer 50% is correct, because the answer 25% is correct as is the other answer 25%. Therefore you're saying 3/4 answers are correct.

The way I interpreted this hellish question is that your selection (a,b,c, or d) has to match up with the answer (25%, etc.).

No?

If so, there is no freaking correct answer to this abomination of a freaking question.

FAX

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
My thoughts is that the answer is B. It just wants to know what the percentage is that you'll get the correct answer. If two answers are the same, that means only two remains, and your chance is 50%

YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE THE GOD DAMN ANSWER :cuss:

lewdog
10-11-2012, 06:09 PM
- my source is me, I scored 106% in college statistics, lol. The only class I ever got more than 100% in.

Did your classmates call you "blow job face" for getting that extra credit?

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:11 PM
uh the guy implied 25% was the correct answer. and 25% is on there twice therefore he thought the answer should be 50% ----25% is on there twice which would make the answer 50%. but then your stating 3/4 answers is correct which is incorrect. There is no solution...as far as I can see

This is asking a question, not asking to pick the answer at random. Think of it this way, if you were taking a multiple choice history test and 2 of the solutions were the same and correct. If you didn't know and just guessed you would have a 50% chance of answering the question correct. This is the same thing

-King-
10-11-2012, 06:12 PM
A is 25%, if you divide that by C's 60% you get 42%. 42% divided by B's 50% is 84%.

84% on a standard grading scale is a B. So you divide 84% by B's 50% again and get 168%.

But we can't forget 25% for D. 168% x 25% = 42%.

So yeah, trick question. The right answer is 42 which is none of the above.

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
My thoughts is that the answer is B. It just wants to know what the percentage is that you'll get the correct answer. If two answers are the same, that means only two remains, and your chance is 50%

This is more of a paradox

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
The probability of choosing a correct solution from 4 is 25%. as there are 2 solutions of 25% the probability becomes 50% for this particullar problem.

lol no

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
A is 25%, if you divide that by C's 60% you get 42%. 42% divided by B's 50% is 84%.

84% on a standard grading scale is a B. So you divide 84% by B's 50% again and get 168%.

But we can't forget 25% for D. 168% x 25% = 42%.

So yeah, trick question. The right answer is 42 which is none of the above.

OMG I love that

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
This is asking a question, not asking to pick the answer at random. Think of it this way, if you were taking a multiple choice history test and 2 of the solutions were the same and correct. If you didn't know and just guessed you would have a 50% chance of answering the question correct. This is the same thing

i see what you're saying but the answer is not A or D the answer is B. therefore you don't have a 50% chance at random.

Buck
10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Q) Repost

DrunkBassGuitar
10-11-2012, 06:17 PM
This is asking a question, not asking to pick the answer at random. Think of it this way, if you were taking a multiple choice history test and 2 of the solutions were the same and correct. If you didn't know and just guessed you would have a 50% chance of answering the question correct. This is the same thing

In that case yes. But in the question posed, only one answer is 50%. That means you only have a 1/4 chance of randomly (assuming random means answers A,B,C and D are equally likely to get picked) picking answer B. Since you only have a 25% chance of picking B, B cannot be correct.

It's a paradox, which means it has no solution.

The only way you can make this question solvable is to say that random means something else, for instance a random distribution where you have a 10% chance of picking A, a 20% chance of B, a 60% chance of picking C and a 15% chance of picking D. In that scenario, C would be the correct answer. But a situation like that is the only way this question is solvable.

CoMoChief
10-11-2012, 06:20 PM
None of the above

You have a 33.333% chance of guessing the right answer.

A&D - 25%
B - 50%
C - 60%

Even though there are 4 choices, 2 of them are the same answer, so really there are only 3 different answers to choose from.

The question has nothing to do with what the answers say other than the 2 that are the same (A & D), the numbers are there to confuse you. It has everything to do with the number of different answers you have to choose from.

There are 3 different answers ...25% 50% and 60% 100 / 3 = 33.333%

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:20 PM
i see what you're saying but the answer is not A or D the answer is B. therefore you don't have a 50% chance at random.

The answer is A and D, both answers are correct and thus 50% is the solution.

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The answer is A and D, both answers are correct and thus 50% is the solution.

then your saying 50% is correct and A and D's answers of 25% are not correct. If you don't understand that then I'm done.

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The answer is A and D, both answers are correct and thus 50% is the solution.

your logic is off bruh

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:22 PM
there are contradictions. It's a paradox.

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:23 PM
your logic is off bruh

If I didn't cheat I would agree. This was an extra credit problem on a probability and statistics course I'm currently in

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
If I didn't cheat I would agree. This was an extra credit problem on a probability and statistics course I'm currently in

then your professor isn't analyzing it critically. if so i'm open for explanations.

Bump
10-11-2012, 06:26 PM
If I didn't cheat I would agree. This was an extra credit problem on a probability and statistics course I'm currently in

and 50% is the correct answer your professor/teacher gave you? What school is this?

Bugeater
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
OH HELL YES I LOVE A GOOD MATH FIGHT

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:33 PM
you have a 2 out of 4 chance of picking it correct, 2/4 *100 = 50%

CoMoChief
10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
my god are people this stupid?

the answer is 33.333% NONE OF THE ABOVE

Bugeater
10-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Imagine a 747 is sitting on a conveyor belt, as wide and long as a runway. The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?

cyborgtable
10-11-2012, 06:45 PM
and 50% is the correct answer your professor/teacher gave you? What school is this?

University of Louisville, as well as my number theory professor at elizabethtown community college

Bump
10-11-2012, 07:04 PM
my god are people this stupid?

the answer is 33.333% NONE OF THE ABOVE

paradox

and for you to call people "this stupid"

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/fpalm.jpg

Bump
10-11-2012, 07:08 PM
University of Louisville, as well as my number theory professor at elizabethtown community college

and they say the absolute correct answer is 50%? I'm pretty sure there are too many contradictions and it's a paradox. But I'm no professor.

CoMoChief
10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
paradox

and for you to call people "this stupid"

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/fpalm.jpg

I just gave you the right answer.

YOU'RE THE DUMBASS!!!

Rain Man
10-11-2012, 07:32 PM
- my source is me, I scored 106% in college statistics, lol. The only class I ever got more than 100% in.

I'm not sure I trust the answer of someone who says they scored 106% in statistics.

Rain Man
10-11-2012, 07:38 PM
None of the above

You have a 33.333% chance of guessing the right answer.

A&D - 25%
B - 50%
C - 60%

Even though there are 4 choices, 2 of them are the same answer, so really there are only 3 different answers to choose from.

The question has nothing to do with what the answers say other than the 2 that are the same (A & D), the numbers are there to confuse you. It has everything to do with the number of different answers you have to choose from.

There are 3 different answers ...25% 50% and 60% 100 / 3 = 33.333%

I concluded the same thing, with slightly different logic. Actually, it might be the same logic reworded.

If you assume that the answer is one of the three listed, then...

There's a 25% chance you pick Option A, which has a 33.3% chance of being right. .25*.33 = .08333 chance of being right.

There's a 25% chance you pick Option B, which has a 33.3% chance of being right. .25*.33 = .08333 chance of being right.

There's a 25% chance you pick Option C, which has a 33.3% chance of being right. .25*.33 = .08333 chance of being right.

There's a 25% chance you pick Option D, which has a 33.3% chance of being right. .25*.33 = .08333 chance of being right.

Your odds of being right = .08333+.08333+.08333+.08333 = .333333.

Bump
10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I just gave you the right answer.

YOU'RE THE DUMBASS!!!

I think you are the dumbass because that's not the correct answer. It's Russel's Paradox, fool.

bench_cassel
10-11-2012, 10:19 PM
ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS PUT A DRINK IN MY HAND

Chiefshrink
10-11-2012, 10:36 PM
He watched the movie 21;)

Bump
10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
lol

Dave Lane
10-12-2012, 09:11 AM
The right answer is 42 which is none of the above.

42 is the answer to everything

Dave Lane
10-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I think you are the dumbass because that's not the correct answer. It's Russel's Paradox, fool.

Correct there is no answer because none of the numbers are correct

kepp
10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
E) I have no intention of thinking this hard today