PDA

View Full Version : Education Race Based Education Standards

HonestChieffan
10-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Cool. Dont set high goals, lower expectations instead. Kids dont have to work as hard and teachers catch a break. Everybody wins, right?

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

The plan has infuriated many community activists in Palm Beach County and across the state.

“To expect less from one demographic and more from another is just a little off-base,” Juan Lopez, magnet coordinator at John F. Kennedy Middle School in Riviera Beach, told the Palm Beach Post.

JFK Middle has a black student population of about 88 percent.

Keep reading…http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

Chiefshrink
10-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Nothing like Progressive Dumbdown Bullsh**!! Remember we have to segregate into groups and make it easy for them !!!:thumb:

qabbaan
10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
This country is screwed.

craneref
10-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately this doesn't surpirse me! My wife is Korean and our oldest was tested for her English capability ech year until she reached Jr. high, even though English was her first language, she had no accent and was a straight A student. This will continue to happen as long as School districts get paid for each person they can identify as a minority or requiring extra help. Sad, sad state of affairs when this happens.

ClevelandBronco
10-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Kids such as mine, who fit into more than one category, must really be a problem for these kids of folks.

petegz28
10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Seems rather racist to me. Everyone is supposed to be equal regardless of race but not really.

qabbaan
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Seems rather racist to me. Everyone is supposed to be equal regardless of race but not really.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

stevieray
10-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Darwin..right?

:rolleyes:

Pawnmower
10-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Waiting for literature/jensen/gobowe etc to come in and defend this....

tiptap
10-14-2012, 03:08 PM
The question is which group will see the greatest improvement from where they are scoring now?

NewChief
10-15-2012, 08:11 AM
This is pretty common. It's called AYP (Annual Yearly Progress). You have to make AYP with regards to your overall population, so you need your overall population to improve from 80% pass to 85% pass to avoid going on improvement. In addition, you also have to make AYP with regards to your various subpopulations. So if your African American population is at 70% starting, they would need to get to 78% (showing an improvement of 8% vs. 5% of the general population), demonstrating narrowing of the achievement gap between the groups while still not being responsible for completely closing that gap in an unrealistic timeframe.

I don't like it, but that's generally the way it works. The idea (unrealistic as it is) of course is to get everyone to 100% passing by 2015. Which isn't going to happen, because the entire testing system is getting a makeover right now, which will likely reboot all the baselines, which really tells me that this whole thing is bullshit. They aren't even using the PARCC/Common Core tests as of yet because they haven't developed them. Therefore, the whole "by 2018" thing is bogus, as they'll be getting an entirely new test within the next year or two.

blaise
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
It doesn't really bother me.

vailpass
10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
How do students who see published data showing the expectations for them are lower than others not feel inferior to some degree?

NewChief
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
How do students who see published data showing the expectations for them are lower than others not feel inferior to some degree?

I can't really answer that, as I'm not a part of a minority, nor have I ever really considered myself below average or struggling. I'd imagine that they, like most of us when confronted with data we don't like, use the exception rule and see themselves as exceptional and defying the statistics. That being said, they could just as easily see themselves as defeated and excused from high expectations.

vailpass
10-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I can't really answer that, as I'm not a part of a minority, nor have I ever really considered myself below average or struggling. I'd imagine that they, like most of us when confronted with data we don't like, use the exception rule and see themselves as exceptional and defying the statistics. That being said, they could just as easily see themselves as defeated and excused from high expectations.

I hope so and defer to your tactical knowledge here.

It seems as though an 8 year old child hearing they aren't expected to do as well as the Asians or the Whites would be shaped toward innate academic inferiority with the potential for that to carry over to other life settings. "I can't excel so why should I try?"

HonestChieffan
10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
What do they do upon entering an "adult" world where expectations are not a PC thing but a rule of life? We set these young people up for failure and disappointment. Colleges hopefully don't fall for this although there has been a ton of stories about grade inflation.

The employment world will hit them like a ton of bricks. A salesperson does not have different expectations based on race. And the best performers don't want that.

It does make one wonder about the education system. Do some schools have different performance expectation for the minority teacher?

Tis an ugly can of worms.

Saul Good
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM

They don't know how to interpret the data because they are minorities and thus aren't as smart. The problem solves itself. It's kind of the opposite of "seeing eye dogs welcome" signs.

vailpass
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
They don't know how to interpret the data because they are minorities and thus aren't as smart. The problem solves itself. It's kind of the opposite of "seeing eye dogs welcome" signs.

LMAO Ouch.

Comrade Crapski
10-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Cool. Dont set high goals, lower expectations instead. Kids dont have to work as hard and teachers catch a break. Everybody wins, right?

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

The plan has infuriated many community activists in Palm Beach County and across the state.

“To expect less from one demographic and more from another is just a little off-base,” Juan Lopez, magnet coordinator at John F. Kennedy Middle School in Riviera Beach, told the Palm Beach Post.

JFK Middle has a black student population of about 88 percent.

Keep reading…http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

This is not news.

How do you think Obama graduated Harvard?