PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Was it like this in the 80's?

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I heard a few talking heads today say they cannot recall any point in time when the fan base has ever been this angry towards the Chiefs.

I have to admit that I was a baseball fan growing up and followed the Royals way more than I ever did the Chiefs. I remember us sucking and you could pretty much buy a ticket then sit wherever you wanted.

But it seems like I remember people just laughing about the joke that was the Chiefs back then.

What say some of you old timers?

threebag02
10-15-2012, 07:15 PM
What say some of you old timers?

One thread for all your thoughts would be boss.

Spott
10-15-2012, 07:26 PM
It doesn't seem like it. We stunk for most of the 80's, but from what I remember they fans were pretty supportive although almost all of our games were blacked out. I was just a kid in the 80's, but it seemed like KC was a big baseball town until the year Marty showed up and we drafted DT. It seemed like KC became a football town overnight and the Royals started becoming an afterthought. When they became the big kid in town, fans were more supportive, but also more critical because we kept getting close every year and never got over the hump.

DeezNutz
10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Of course it wasn't like this. Tech. is driving the knowledge and thus the appropriate level of vitriol.

BCD
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
My memories of the Chiefs during the 80s are clouded by fond memories of the Royals and masturbation.

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
My memories of the Chiefs during the 80s are clouded by fond memories of the Royals and masturbation.

:LOL: LMAO

HonestChieffan
10-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Of course it wasn't like this. Tech. is driving the knowledge and thus the appropriate level of vitriol.

This is a wise comment. Back then we had to go next door and bitch about Frank Ganz and you had an outside chance the next door guy wasn't home or was sick of talking about it so we bitched about our kids, cars, or taxes. Now we can have eleventybillion bitchers bitching at once 24/7

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Nope. It wasn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
This is a wise comment. Back then we had to go next door and bitch about Frank Ganz and you had an outside chance the next door guy wasn't home or was sick of talking about it so we bitched about our kids, cars, or taxes. Now we can have eleventybillion bitchers bitching at once 24/7

Unless you were a true die hard and statistical nerd, it was hard to keep up with the facts. You wouldn't know, for example, that Pioli has presided over more blow-out losses in less than four seasons than Carl did in 20.

Now that's impressive levels of suck, but Pioli didn't earn "Executive of the Decade" honors by being ordinary.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
The Chiefs barely existed in the 80's. They were truly horrible. Mackovic... Levy. I distinctly remember a tv highlight where the sportscaster said "There's the 11 people at Arrowhead... well it was about 11,000."

Today's Chiefs have nothing on the 80's Chiefs as far as being pathetic.

DeezNutz
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM
The Chiefs barely existed in the 80's. They were truly horrible. Mackovic... Levy. I distinctly remember a tv highlight where the sportscaster said "There's the 11 people at Arrowhead... well it was about 11,000."

Nope, it's worse now. The stat in my last post proves it, as does the fact that we have to go back to '83 to find a team who hasn't seen a fucking lead this far into the season.

This is historic.

BCD
10-15-2012, 07:34 PM

They had some very good players on D.

86 was an interesting season.

The best Special Teams in NFL history. LOL

HonestChieffan
10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I used to get into some serious bitch sessions with my best Chiefs Fan buddy.

Then his mom would tell him to give me a hug and go to bed.

MahiMike
10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I remember listening to those games on the radio. There was no ESPN or NFL network, no sports talk radio and most of all no Chiefs Planet.

We had to bitch to the guy next to us.

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Todays chiefs are every bit as pathetic as the 80's IMO.

And I went to a ton of games in the 80's with my dad
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2012, 07:36 PM

Yes, technology is driving the distension, without a doubt. But there's more to it than that, IMO.

By the time the 80's were in full swing, the Chiefs hadn't won a playoff game in 12-13 years. While teams like the Chargers had Hall of Fame QB's in Fouts and Denver in Elway, the Chiefs were languishing with guys like Fuller, Blackledge, etc.

Lamar Hunt was far more of an absentee owner than Clark has been, leaving his buddies in charge of a $100 million dollar franchise. TV money was a pittance as compared to today but it was still more than the 30,000-40,000 thousand regulars at Arrowhead.

Historically speaking, Lamar Hunt left a generation of fans behind in the 70's and another generation in the 80's.

If he had hired any other GM other than Carl Peterson, I fully believe this franchise wouldn't be in Kansas City today.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Nope, it's worse now. The stat in my last post proves it, as does the fact that we have to go back to '83 to find a team who hasn't seen a ****ing lead this far into the season.

This is historic.

I'd say maybe it's worse now only because we have some modicum of expectations. In the 80's we had none. An crowds of 11k fans. And basically no good players.

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Unless you were a true die hard and statistical nerd, it was hard to keep up with the facts. You wouldn't know, for example, that PioLLLLLi has presided over more blow-out losses in less than four seasons than Carl did in 20.

Now that's impressive levels of suck, but PioLLLLLi didn't earn "Executive of the Decade" honors by being ordinary.

55 blowouts in Chiefs history, 18 of them under Pioli. For the math challenged that's just udner 33% of the blowouts credited to Pioli. 1/3 in under 4 years.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Yeah.... well... we still sucked.

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Levy was when I started to follow the Chiefs more.

Dick Bull
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
The thing that strikes me odd is when you see teams that are going to hell, they tend to get more creative, as well as, taking more chances. This years Chiefs can be down by 4 touchdowns and well on their way to their fourth blowout and they act like they are in the lead and undefeated.

Spott
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM

I used to love that secondary we had back then. Deron Cherry, Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, etc. Delaney's tragic death really set the franchise back. If that doesn't happen, maybe Marv Levy keeps his job and the 80's Chiefs become the Bills of the late 80's and early 90's.

Al Bundy
10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
I do remember coming to a Chiefs-Bucs game in the 80's while visiting my family here and being able to walk right up, by good tickets and watch 2 shit teams beat each other up. It was like one big fucking pillow fight.

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:41 PM
They never act undefeated. This team has absolutely no confidence. No swagger. They look like they could care less
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:41 PM
The main difference imo between the 80's and today is that in the 80's we didn't "need" the Chiefs so much. The Royals were among the class of MLB. 1980 World Series appearance... competitive team every year... classic names making up the roster... championship in '85.

Then it all ended for both teams until the Chiefs rose up to great regular season status in the 90's.

Al Bundy
10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Fuck that game. I remember being pissed off because of the bad call down around the end zone. Some Chiefs receiver fumbled and they called incomplete.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
They never act undefeated. This team has absolutely no confidence. No swagger. They look like they could care less
Posted via Mobile Device

I said to my brother Sunday that the Chiefs never ever look like the agressors, they never look like a team that has the ability to take any control. They look like they're just hoping not to fuck it up on every play on both sides of the ball.

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I went to tons of royals games back then with dad too. Damn good times
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I said to my brother Sunday that the Chiefs never ever look like the agressors, they never look like a team that has the ability to take any control. They look like they're just hoping not to **** it up on every play on both sides of the ball.

That's exactly how I see it. No swagger. No agression. Just out there hoping the guy next to you makes the play.

petegz28
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I went to tons of royals games back then with dad too. Damn good times
Posted via Mobile Device

I lived at the K during the late 70's,80's.

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Fuck that game. I remember being pissed off because of the bad call down around the end zone. Some Chiefs receiver fumbled and they called incomplete.

No no that was an incomplete pass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
That's exactly how I see it. No swagger. No agression. Just out there hoping the guy next to you makes the play.

That's exactly it. Complete lack of leadership, confidence, aggresiveness. They're just going through the motions and waiting to lose. This is the worst coached team I think I've ever seen.

Dave Lane
10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
No basically back then the Chiefs were bad and no one gave a shit.

JASONSAUTO
10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I lived at the K during the late 70's,80's.

I would say I can remember and know what was going on from 82 on. But I have pics with me and players on the field when I was a little baby going to games in the late seventies.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandBronco
10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
It was just like this, only more colorful and with much bigger hair.

Reerun_KC
10-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't remember the 80's. Too young. But the 90's fucking sucked. Every year we were good. Every year you knew Marty would fuck up the playoffs. He was a perennial loser and he didn't disappoint. I hate Marty for being a life loser and wasting the 90's.

Spott

Damn dude, you're still that pissed about a game from the 80's?

petegz28
That's exactly it. Complete lack of leadership, confidence, aggresiveness. They're just going through the motions and waiting to lose. This is the worst coached team I think I've ever seen.

I agree on the coaching. It would be one thing if we had no talent on this team. Even with Cassel we should be playing better than we are.

Al Bundy
10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Damn dude, you're still that pissed about a game from the 80's?

Ehhhh not really... we both were bad teams. Although there were some good players on the field that day.

Rain Man
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
The main difference imo between the 80's and today is that in the 80's we didn't "need" the Chiefs so much. The Royals were among the class of MLB. 1980 World Series appearance... competitive team every year... classic names making up the roster... championship in '85.

Then it all ended for both teams until the Chiefs rose up to great regular season status in the 90's.

I'll point out another significant difference, which is the lack of internet fan forums in the 1980s. These days, it's easier for fans to comisserate and organize, which I think makes the criticism more loud.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
All I remember is that there were much fewer internet trolls in those days.

Dr. Facebook Fever
I agree on the coaching. It would be one thing if we had no talent on this team. Even with CasseLLLLL we should be playing better than we are.

Another valid point. In the 80's much of the time we had a truly shitty roster. I don't think any coach could have made them winners. Now we have several players with ability who under achieve. The coaching is horrendous imo as well as the playcalling.

petegz28
I'll point out another significant difference, which is the lack of internet fan forums in the 1980s. These days, it's easier for fans to comisserate and organize, which I think makes the criticism more loud.

While I agree, it just seems like now it is real anger to back then it seems like people just laughed at this team without a care.

Spott
10-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Ehhhh not really... we both were bad teams. Although there were some good players on the field that day.

That game was either 1984 or 1986. The Chiefs scored a go ahead TD in the 4th quarter to beat Tampa 27-20 in the 86 game. If that's the game you are talking about, KC actually went to the playoffs that year for the 1st time in like 15 years. They didn't have a very good team that year, except the special teams were phenomenal.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 07:59 PM

No doubt about that. IF CP had existed in the 80's banners wouldn't be considered such a big thing. No one went to the games anyway and no one had any expectations. And that sucked but it wasn't quite as bad because we had the Royals.

petegz28
That game was either 1984 or 1986. The Chiefs scored a go ahead TD in the 4th quarter to beat Tampa 27-20 in the 86 game. If that's the game you are talking about, KC actually went to the playoffs that year for the 1st time in like 15 years. They didn't have a very good team that year, except the special teams were phenomenal.

Wasn't Bill Kenny the QB then?

Spott
All I remember is that there were much fewer internet trolls in those days.

Back then, Al Gore was the only internet troll because he hadn't released his invention yet.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2012, 08:01 PM

This. With the internet, sports media, 24/7 sportstalk, radio, etc....it definately breeds more of an "Angry mob" mentality, than back in the 80s.

The NFL was big, but not nearly as popular as it is now days, so i think fans just didnt care as much. Plus, the Royals OWNED the town back in those days.

Spott
10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Wasn't Bill Kenney the QB then?

Yes. Can't remember who the RB's were, but I think he had Carlos Carson and Stephone Paige as his WR's which was actually a pretty decent tandem.

Psyko Tek
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I used to love that secondary we had back then. Deron Cherry, Albert Lewis, Kevin Ross, etc. Delaney's tragic death really set the franchise back. If that doesn't happen, maybe Marv Levy keeps his job and the 80's Chiefs become the Bills of the late 80's and early 90's.

this is what I remember from the 80's world's best secondary
and and Delaney
I loved Deberg, that man did the best play action

chefsos
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Those of us who lived nowhere near Kansas City yet were (inexplicably) fans of the team had absolutely no one to bitch to. My friends and relatives who were fans of the Eagles, Cowboys, etc., would just respond, "Chiefs?!?!? You should pick a new team."

petegz28
10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
this is what I remember from the 80's world's best secondary
and and Delaney
I loved Deberg, that man did the best play action

Deberg, the best PA fake and the rainbowest of deep balls!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I appreciated Deberg too but lets not kid ourselves or re-write history. He was a better tough guy/play through the pain guy than a talented QB. I was a fan but he was never going to take us to the promised land, healthy or not.

Douche Baggins
10-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Yes.

Chiefs teams that started 1-5

1977 (2-12) QB Mike Livingston

1978 (4-12) QB Mike Livingston

1982 (3-6) QB Bill Kenney

1987 (4-11) QB Bill Kenney

1988 (4-11-1) QB Bill Kenney

2001 (6-10) QB Trent Green

2008 (2-14) QB Tyler Thigpen

2009 (4-12) QB Matt CasseLLLLLLLLL

2012 (1-5) QB Matt CasseLLLLLLLLL

petegz28
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes.

I think we will be lucky to go 2-14 this year

Douche Baggins
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
There actually was a mini-fan protest in the 80s.

This is is how you hold your football team accountable.

In late 1988 the Chiefs were steamrolling their way to a 4-11-1 season. Chiefs fans were angry so 810 KCMO Sports DJ ED BIELER said everyone needs to write a letter to Lamar Hunt and demand change.

In 1988 The Chiefs had a radio jingle to sell tickets sung by the Kansas City's legandary Blues Vocalist Ida McBeth and it went HARD HITTING GOOD TIME KANSAS CITY CHIEFS...

Well it was late in the 1988 season and Ed Bieler told everyone to bring signs to the stadium so Lamar could see their signs of unhappiness as well as the letters he was getting in the mail. Thousands of Chiefs fans showed up at Arrowhead that day and many had signs that read SOFT HITTING BAD TIME KANSAS CITY CHUMPS...

One week later Lamar Hunt fired GM Jim Shaff & VP-Jack Steadman.

Of course Lamar hung onto Jack Steadman and moved him to a different spot in the organization. Then the Chiefs hired Carl Peterson before the final game of the 1988 season. The rest was Chiefs history...

We are ALL Chiefs fans and we demand a winning product. I totally support this decision for a fly over because CLLLLLark Hunt needs to see and experience the same thing his dad experienced. And CLLLLLark Hunt needs to see and hear the passion of the fans and make the change. We need a new regime. ... FIRE PioLLLLLi!

sedated
I know its been said in various ways already, and I was just a kid, but I dont think sports was nearly as big a deal back then. ESPN was in its infancy. Only the best games were on TV. No internet. Player salaries/team values/revenue sharing were a small percentage of what they are today. Sports seemed more of niche entertainment than widespread obsession and big business.

cdcox
I had season tickets back in those days. By the end of the season there would be maybe 30K in the stands. We had one game where we were trying to give away an extra ticket and the only people standing outside Arrowhead were other people trying to give away tickets. We'd always stay until the end of the game, but I remember one game, it was cold as hell and we were on the wrong end of a blowout. With about 5 minutes left in the game, we all looked at each other, had a simultaneous revelation that we didn't have to stay to the end, and all headed for the exit. A lot of pride about being a Chiefs fan in those days.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I think we will be lucky to go 2-14 this year

I'd just like to get the top draft pick and see what we do with it.

Rain Man
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Yes. Can't remember who the RB's were, but I think he had Carlos Carson and Stephone Paige as his WR's which was actually a pretty decent tandem.

I was a big fan of Stephone Paige.

We had a never-ending parade of running backs, it seemed. I remember various years where our leading runners were guys like Ted McKnight, Billy Jackson, Theotis Brown, James Hadnot, and others. And Delaney for his short tenure, of course.

cdcox
10-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I was at the game where Stephone Paige set the single game receiving record. It seems like we were sitting on the opposite side of where we normally sat. Maybe if we sat on that side all the time we would have been a dynasty?

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM

We had a never-ending parade of running backs, it seemed. I remember various years where our leading runners were guys like Ted McKnight, Billy Jackson, Theotis Brown, James Hadnot, and others. And Delaney for his short tenure, of course.

Stephone Paige may be my favorite Chief to this day. When you have so few great players a guy like him really stuck out. I always like Danan Hughes too even though he wasn't as good.

Rain Man
10-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I was at the game where Stephone Paige set the single game receiving record. It seems like we were sitting on the opposite side of where we normally sat. Maybe if we sat on that side all the time we would have been a dynasty?

I now blame you for the 1980s. I always thought it was because I wasn't consistent enough in my mid-game meal ritual of spaghetti, texas toast, and boston cream pie.

siberian khatru
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
The last Chiefs game I attended in the stands, Paul Palmer returned a kickoff for the winning score.

BryanBusby
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
It was a lot like today but everyone was wearing Zubaz

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
It was a lot like today but everyone was wearing Zubaz

All 11k.

cdcox
10-15-2012, 08:37 PM
The last Chiefs game I attended in the stands, Paul Palmer returned a kickoff for the winning score.

9164 days ago.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:40 PM
I think the last Chiefs game I attended was a Christmas Day game vs. Oakland. The tickets were my Christmas gift from my brother. I don't remember the year. We won late.

cdcox
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I think the last Chiefs game I attended was a Christmas Day game vs. Oakland. The tickets were my Christmas gift from my brother. I don't remember the year. We won late.

L.A. Chieffan
10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I was so coked out in the 80s I cant remember anything execpt New Order and Texarkanas

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:45 PM

Wow. It's been a while hasn't it.

chefsos
10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, well, fuck PioLLLLLi for scheduling a game on Christmas Day anyway.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, well, **** PioLLLLLi for scheduling a game on Christmas Day anyway.

Do we have a Christmas Day game this year? They one I went to was under Carl.

BryanBusby
10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I think I'd rather see a stocking full of shit than Kansas City Chiefs tickets

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I think I'd rather see a stocking full of shit than Kansas City Chiefs tickets

A. My bro meant well. We weren't as desperate as a fanbase yet in 2004.

B. is there much difference?

BryanBusby
10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
A. My bro meant well. We weren't as desperate as a fanbase yet in 2004.

B. is there much difference?
That was more of a reference to watch the Chiefs on Christmas now.

Fat Elvis
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd say maybe it's worse now only because we have some modicum of expectations. In the 80's we had none. An crowds of 11k fans. And basically no good players.

This pretty much says it all. The Chiefs were an afterthought more or less in the 80s. The pecking order for a long time in the 70s and 80s as far as sports teams in KC were: the Royals, the Kings and then the Chiefs.

When you have a team that sucks for a long time, and you expect them to suck, and they continue to suck, people really don't care whether or not they suck. When you expect a team to be good and they suck--especially when you are getting gouged for tickets, parking, merchandise, etc, the sucking really sucks and fans get really upset.

dbcooper1
10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I know I hardly post but this has gotten bad enough that I would vent if I wasn't so full of apathy. I was around for the 80's. They sucked! Most of the crappiness took place before Marty. Hell we finally drafted a stud RB in '81 and he freakin drowned trying to save a kid in June '83. We drafted Todd freakin Blackledge in '83! Enough said. Suffered a miserable existence until Marty. But most people forget that Marty was great with defense but drove us crazy with his offense. No lie...every series was run.run.pass.punt. Ugh! But that was at the end of the 80's. Before Marty it was strictly acceptance. We sucked. We knew it. Atleast we had the Royals. Now we have no Royals and we have no Chiefs! Psycho watch starts now!

Deberg_1990
10-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Keep doubtin Ethan Horton and Paul Palmer.

chefsos
10-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Do we have a Christmas Day game this year? They one I went to was under Carl....and fuck him, too, because he wouldn't draft Marino.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
...and **** him, too, because he wouldn't draft Marino.

Well just like in Miami Marino would have never won a SB in KC.

Al Bundy
10-15-2012, 09:20 PM

I had to look it up.... it was the 1984 season.

DaneMcCloud
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
This pretty much says it all. The Chiefs were an afterthought more or less in the 80s.

Not in my family.

But thanks for being a Schottenheimer bandwagon fan.

How's that workin' for ya?

rabblerouser
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
...and **** him, too, because he wouldn't draft Marino.

I think that was Steadman...

Carl tried - he drafted Matt Blundin!!

Matt Blundin!!

cdcox
10-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I think that was Steadman...

Carl tried - he drafted Matt Blundin!!

Matt Blundin!!

LMAO snared another noob.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Also in the 80's we had Johnny Hates Jazz, Glass Tiger, Erasure, ABC, Pebbles and Michael Jackson.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x1U1Ue_5kq8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suzzer99
10-16-2012, 12:02 AM
80s was mostly apathy. But I remember 83? when we started six and two and missed the playoffs. And then 86 when made the playoffs for the first time in forever and everyone was excited. But as usual blew it in the playoffs. But other than that mostly apathy. Is all about the Royals in the 70s and 80s.

Our secondary kicked ass though. Albert Lewis is probably still my favorite Chiefs player. It's a travesty that he's not in the Hall of Fame.

mnchiefsguy
10-16-2012, 02:33 AM
80s was mostly apathy. But I remember 83? when we started six and two and missed the playoffs. And then 86 when made the playoffs for the first time in forever and everyone was excited. But as usual blew it in the playoffs. But other than that mostly apathy. Is all about the Royals in the 70s and 80s.

Our secondary kicked ass though. Albert Lewis is probably still my favorite Chiefs player. It's a travesty that he's not in the Hall of Fame.

83 was Makovic's first year. Team went 6-10...but it did destroy Denver at Arrowhead on the final regular season game. Denver never recovered and was destroyed the next week in Seattle in the Wild Card game. That was also Elway's rookie year and his first start at Arrowhead.

It was 81 that the Chiefs went 6-2, wound up 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Then they sucked during the strike year in 82 and Marv Levy got fired. If the expanded playoffs had been around in 81, the Chiefs would have been in, and who knows if Levy would have been fired after the strike year or not.

BillSelfsTrophycase
10-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Same as it is now, only with better music and worse hair

Mojo Jojo
10-16-2012, 02:46 AM
From late 70's until Carl...you could just drive into the parking lot 20 minutes before kickoff and be in your seat to see it. No bathroom lines and you could get a soda and dog during a timeout. No one cared, or showed up...it was that bad.

rabblerouser
10-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Same as it is now, only with better music and worse hair

no, it's way worse now.

read ^^ a few posts above; there are good memories from back then - Ross, Lewis and Cherry, Stephone Paige, Joe Delaney, Art Still...

i remember Arrowhead back then, seemed like a hard, cold place. On a grey day, that AstroTurf appeared to be a weird blue/green - it was a bit intimidating to me. We weren't very good and never expected to be - I didn't get the fever until Marty got here, but I was also 10 years old in 1989 - but what I remember of pre-Marty was...we weren't very good, never had been in my life but that was okay. We still watched and had a good time when Stephone Paige set the record or when Cherry made a pick. We laughed and high-fived when a Bill Kinney swing pass went for 15 yds and a first down. Those are good memories.

What good memories are going to be made of this year?? Seriously. Short of a Miracle the likes of which even Tebow himself couldn't muster, there will be nothing good about this season, other than it will most likely get P-holey and his NE way shitcanned. There are no moral victories. In the 80's, we were under no illusion that Todd Blackledge or Bill Kinney were gonna take us to the Promised Land. Somehow, The current administration sold us a fugazi - and as a town, we were so starved for a winner, so badly wanted our rocking Arrowhead back and 80k strong as one, the place no visting team wanted to play, and no visiting fan wanted to sit. We wanted that so badly, we wanted to believe 2010 was real...by the time Haley had enough of cASShoLe and couldn't deal with him w/o cASShoLe's hand-selected (by P-holey) babysitter Charlie Weis, P-hoLey had to throw Haley under the bus to try and keep the myth alive. The fat fucking dipshit probably breathed a sigh of relief when CrenneLLLLL coached them to a 2-1 record and beat the Pack in the process...but I guess he forgot the fact that Kyle Orton started those games. Orton knew better than to re-sign with this dysfunctional circus, so we're left with this mess. It couldn't have gone worse, but it can get worse, and history says it will. This is some Atlanta '96 shit; Matt cASShoLLLLLe is Jeff George without the talent or attitude, Brady Quinn is Bobby Hebert without the clout, and We got Romeo and DumbuLLLLL as June Jones and Mouse Davis aka the guys who don't know why their dream team isn't getting it done.

Ok, I've rambled on enough; I go to sleep knowing that this is WAY worse than anything I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. This ineptitude is some Bengals in the 90's shit, some Detroit in the Millen years shit. Team turmoil, Raiders post-Gruden or San Diego when Jim Harbaugh and Doug Flutie were starting.

This is fucking terrible.

Cheater5
10-16-2012, 03:13 AM
From late 70's until Carl...you could just drive into the parking lot 20 minutes before kickoff and be in your seat to see it. No bathroom lines and you could get a soda and dog during a timeout. No one cared, or showed up...it was that bad.

Yup. Saw a home game against the Giants in '84 or '85 and we had nosebleed end zone seats, but ended up sitting 40 yard line lower level. No lie.

craneref
10-16-2012, 03:16 AM
I went to Kansas Wesleyan in the early 80's and we used to drive down on game day, get there less than an hour before kcikoff, but cheap tickets and then move to really good seats. It was almost like they were giving tickets away.

rabblerouser
10-16-2012, 03:22 AM
I went to Kansas Wesleyan in the early 80's and we used to drive down on game day, get there less than an hour before kcikoff, but cheap tickets and then move to really good seats. It was almost like they were giving tickets away.

That's my point exactly - sounds like you had a good time. Not much invested on your part but time on a Sunday afternoon, light-hearted and fun. What it's supposed to be at that point.

Now, tickets are around $100 and it costs $27 to park.

It's more of an investment now...and the returns are non-existent at this point.

Holladay
10-16-2012, 03:39 AM
all been said already...

WHAT there was a football team in KC???

Getting close to that now

theelusiveeightrop
10-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Before Marty and the CP era, times were tough. Soup lines, rolling blackouts................

HemiEd
10-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Yes, technology is driving the distension, without a doubt. But there's more to it than that, IMO.

By the time the 80's were in full swing, the Chiefs hadn't won a playoff game in 12-13 years. While teams like the Chargers had Hall of Fame QB's in Fouts and Denver in Elway, the Chiefs were languishing with guys like Fuller, Blackledge, etc.

Lamar Hunt was far more of an absentee owner than CLLLLLark has been, leaving his buddies in charge of a $100 million dollar franchise. TV money was a pittance as compared to today but it was still more than the 30,000-40,000 thousand regulars at Arrowhead.

Historically speaking, Lamar Hunt left a generation of fans behind in the 70's and another generation in the 80's.

If he had hired any other GM other than Carl Peterson, I fully believe this franchise wouldn't be in Kansas City today.

Pretty good account of the situation Dane.

I didn't ever miss a game though, as they were all carried on local TV in Wichita. It was my Sunday right of passage. The only real news about the team was the short articles in the Wichita Eagle.

From 81 to 88 I worked for an auto parts warehouse distributor in KC. I was never so pissed as when the Sales Manager bought us lower end zone tickets against the Rams in 85, a team building exercise. I wanted to stay in the room and watch the game, instead of setting in those crappy seats.

The whole game was played at the other end, and the Chiefs were shut out 16 to zip. The place was pretty much empty, and he could have sprung for good seats.

craneref
10-16-2012, 06:43 AM
That's my point exactly - sounds like you had a good time. Not much invested on your part but time on a Sunday afternoon, light-hearted and fun. What it's supposed to be at that point.

Now, tickets are around $100 and it costs $27 to park.

It's more of an investment now...and the returns are non-existent at this point.

Excellent point, couldn't afford that price back then, even adjusted for costs those days.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Even Bill Kenney would throw a bomb and hit it fairly often, it wasn't a thing of beauty but it did get the job done. Cassel can't and Daboll won't even call that play.

InChiefsHell
10-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Nope, it's worse now. The stat in my last post proves it, as does the fact that we have to go back to '83 to find a team who hasn't seen a ****ing lead this far into the season.

This is historic.

...there was something else about that year that is significant as well...hmmmm....:banghead:

theelusiveeightrop
10-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Drive to work this morning, was trying to think of a worse head coach in the NFL. Raiders don't count. Was stumped.

craneref
10-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Even Bill Kenney would throw a bomb and hit it fairly often, it wasn't a thing of beauty but it did get the job done. CasseLLLLL can't and Daboll won't even call that play.

If we had Kenney as QB now we would be leading the West!

GloryDayz
10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Well....I'm in my swing office in Arlington TX and it looks like we're not the only ones living in the past. This is the cover of the Yellow pages in Arlington.... LOL!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/16/7yme4uvy.jpg

Predarat
10-16-2012, 07:13 AM
In the 80s it seemed to be more apathy then anger, but that was before the days of message boards, call in shows, (there were some, not near as many) ect.

tooge
10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
the general feeling in the 80's was apathy. Royals were good, chiefs were just sort of there. They were like the KC Comets. Probably drew about the same size crowd too. No press conferences, etc., just a minute or two on the nightly news about the game. Apathy is worse than anger. Right now, its good that the fan base is angry. If the fan base becomes totally apathetic, it will take a lot longer to get them back.

scho63
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
IMO the biggest difference between the sucks of the 80's and the suck of now is that back then, it was dark and dreary and NOBODY expected much so the disappointment level was low.

Today, it's a bigger fall from grace and disgrace when we lose. Everyone was talking this team up as Superbowl contender-remember Sports Illustrated earlier this year predicting the Chiefs in the Super Bowl???? What a farce.

But that is why our loses and pathetic season hurts much more-our expectations now are much greater.