PDA

View Full Version : Life Almost time to let a loyal friend go

TrebMaxx
10-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I have just about 2 hours until I take one of my dogs to the vet to let her go to a better place. Really a bit of a bummer. She has cancer and two weeks ago she started going into kidney failure. We tried medicine to no avail and she just quit eating a few days ago. I think I am bumming out more for her sister, a litter mate, and how she will react. They are like two peas in a pod and have never been away from another. I am hoping she doesn't freak out too much.

The one that will be going down is Maggie, the black and tan in the photo in the link.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5948532&postcount=82

All dogs go to heaven. :crybaby:

Dartgod
10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
That sucks man. I dread the day when we have to make that decision with our two mutts.

theelusiveeightrop
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Have done so with two Black Labs. Worst days of my life. Other than wedding day.

Chiefspants
I have just about 2 hours until I take one of my dogs to the vet to let her go to a better place. Really a bit of a bummer. She has cancer and two weeks ago she started going into kidney failure. We tried medicine to no avail and she just quit eating a few days ago. I think I am bumming out more for her sister, a litter mate, and how she will react. They are like two peas in a pod and have never been away from another. I am hoping she doesn't freak out too much.

The one that will be going down is Maggie, the black and tan in the photo in the link.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5948532&postcount=82

All dogs go to heaven. :crybaby:

My thoughts are with you, as hard as something like this always is, at least you know she had a wonderful life.

QuikSsurfer
Oh man... So sorry to hear that. I know it's tough.

frankotank
10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
man I feel for ya bubba.
I cried like a child when I had to put my dog Tank down. I've posted this before in another "losing my dog" thread. I'll NEVER forget a few things my dad told me.
after we had to put Tank down I said, man I don't think I'll ever have another dog, it's hurts too damn much when you lose them. and my dad said, yeah but you know you'd never in a million years trade all the love that dog gave you over the years to miss the pain at the end. (we have Dozer now.....)
also, words of wisdom from a man I'll never be....he lost his precious dog Ginger. he told me, if heaven really is the perfect place, then my Ginger will be there waiting for me. wow. smart dude. all dogs DO go to heaven.

Rain Man
10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear. That's a great picture of her.

When our younger cat passed away, his (adopted) older brother felt bad for quite a while afterwards, even losing his voice and having thyroid issues. He eventually got better, and I'm convinced that it was mourning. Keep a good loving grip on your other doggy.

Dicky McElephant
10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Sorry about that man.

I've already had to do that once......it's never easy.

tooge
10-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Sorry man. It really is the best for your bud tho. If she has cancer, then she has pain. Dogs have a weird ability to sense the mood and culture around them. When I was sitting there about to put my lab down several years ago, I remember her looking up and I swear to this day I got the most "its ok, i'm ready" look and lick. I'll never forget it. You are doing the noble thing, the right thing, and the last thing a best friend has as a duty to do for your pal.

Frazod
Sorry to hear about this. Such a shitty thing to have to do. :(

QuikSsurfer
Sorry to hear. That's a great picture of her.

When our younger cat passed away, his (adopted) older brother felt bad for quite a while afterwards, even losing his voice and having thyroid issues. He eventually got better, and I'm convinced that it was mourning. Keep a good loving grip on your other doggy.

Damn g/f in there cuttin' up onions again.

CoMoChief
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
That sucks man.....putting dogs to sleep is a horrible feeling.

keeps ya up at night

Fire Me Boy!
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I had to put my cat of more than 13 years down a couple weeks ago... I feel for ya, man. My condolences.

Grim
10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm sorry for the loss you're about to endure.

Valiant
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah our dog will be 14 soon, she started getting fatty tumors on her body and joints. She still runs and plays. I am hoping we can get a few more years. She is the 2nd dog I have had. 1st one was with me for 13 years when I wasa kid. Still have his collar.

HonestChieffan
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Been there with my lab. No way to say it but it sucks.

warrior
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Sorry to hear sucks to lose a loyal pal.

Lzen
10-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Just had to do this last Friday. We had our mutt (part beagle, cocker, and maybe a little shepherd), Sasha, from the time my oldest son was 1 year old. This dog was 18.5 years old. She has had health issues for a few years now. Frankly, I thought she would have dropped dead long ago.

Her health issues were getting bad enough that we decided to have the vet give us a recommendation. The vet said she had cancer, arthritis, and kidney failure. It was time to put her out of her misery.

The wife had a rough time as that dog loved her so much. That dog was dumb as a box of rocks but loyal as can be. She was pretty well behaved and we are all gonna miss her. My boys are old enough to handle it better than the 11 year old daughter. She said she wanted to cry. I told her that Sasha had been in a lot of pain. That she is not feeling that pain anymore and is in a better place now.

It's still strange to not see that dog around the house. She was a part of our family.

TEX
10-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh man - I feel for you.

ReynardMuldrake
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I have to take my dog into the vet today after work. Her lymph nodes are extremely swollen and she has stopped eating. Already given her a full round of antibiotics, no change. Vet says it might be cancer and wants to do a biopsy. She's only 6 years old. Wish me luck.

Hydrae
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Just lost our 12 year old bud a week ago. It was rough and the house has been empty even though we do have another puppy who is under a year old. Sad times indeed.

WV
10-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Sorry to hear.

DJ's left nut
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Sucks royal, man.

As Rainman said, keep an eye on your other one. It really can mess with their health (gastric torsion is a common issue I've heard of). Besides, you'll feel better about the whole thing having a buddy around.

It gets called 'the final kindness' for a reason - it's time. I've not been there yet, but every day my boys (also littermates) get a little more grey in their muzzle and every spring there's a little less spring in their step. It's the least we can do for everything they give us.

TrebMaxx
10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, it's done. Thanks for all the kind comments.

mlyonsd
10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, it's done. Thanks for all the kind comments.

Very sorry man.

BoneKrusher
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
sorry to hear man, this is a tough deal.

R8RFAN
10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry man

Dayze
10-16-2012, 05:42 PM
dang dude. hang in there.
the better place is right. I dread the day I have to do the same to dogs; my wife wife will be a wreck. but I tell her that we will have given them the best life they could ever have imagined (rescue dogs); they're grateful for that - I firmly believe that.

I also told her that when we have to put them down, it will be because they have fought the good fight, but they just can't do it anymore. As much as it hurts us, we'd have to do it - not to let them linger in pain just becuase it's hard for us to do.

your dog will be grateful for you to relieve her pain.

....dusty in here as I type this.

R8RFAN
10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Just remember, if you kept them fed, kept them clean water, gave them a warm dry bed and a lot of love they lived better and longer than they ever could have without you.

Chocolate Hog
10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
That sucks treb. I remember when we had to put down our 18 year old beagle had her since I was a little kid. I was so upset I couldn't even go to the vet my mom took her to be put down. I don't think I could ever put a pet down.

petegz28
10-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry, Treb. It's tough to let them go. Be strong, brother.

Lonewolf Ed
10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
A good dog just doesn't live long enough. I miss mine, and haven't gotten another yet. One day, I will, though. It's tough, I know.

JASONSAUTO
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
So sorry to hear this.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Its like losing a member of the family. Feelings for a pet can cause real pain. An experience most of us share. Sorry for your loss.

bevischief
10-16-2012, 07:13 PM
It sucks. Sorry for your loss.

Seanathon
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm going to have to do something similar soon with our Hunter Dog. I'm very sorry to hear this.

KevB
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear it. My good buddy is still in my avatar....he left us a couple of years ago. His "sister" just last year. It's hard to deal with. There's obviously the loss of someone close, but there's also the passage of time angle that gets me. Show your other one the love, and you'll be surprised how resilient they'll be after a week or two.

DeezNutz
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Good thoughts your way.

ReynardMuldrake
10-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Well, it looks like my dog has terminal lymphoma. I was hoping for better news but I suppose it's not to be.

chiefzilla1501
10-16-2012, 10:09 PM
These threads are always so hard to read. I went through this last year. Couldn't eat or sleep for days. But what's funny about losing a pet is that a few days later, I didn't look back in sadness. I looked back and smiled. It's a different way to cope with a loss but it helped me a lot.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had to put a couple friends down.

Hardes't things I have had to do...I always swear to myself I will never get another dog.

I type this with my two best buds asleep at my feet.

Hang in there Treb. It is extremely tough, but it gets better.

Dayze
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
I've had to put a couple friends down.

Hardes't things I have had to do...I always swear to myself I will never get another dog.

I type this with my two best buds asleep at my feet.

Hang in there Treb. It is extremely tough, but it gets better.

LMAO
Not to laugh, but that's the truth. Give them the best and they'll, give you ten times more......then when they go, there's another ready for the love.

I joke with my wife that our dogs when they go, would want us to get another.

qabbaan
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't have any pets, but I'm always amazed by the profound effect they have on people. Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure you gave him or her a fantastic life.