PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel: Chiefs QB job up for grabs

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Crennel: Chiefs QB job up for grabs (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8515028/matt-cassel-brady-quinn-competing-kansas-city-chiefs-qb-job)
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Duck, Kansas City: A nasty quarterback controversy may be headed your way.

It's just what the embattled, touchdown-starved Chiefs do not need. But if coach Romeo Crennel returns Brady Quinn to the bench and puts Matt Cassel back under center, a quarterback controversy seems assured.

Williamson: Cassel Still Has Edge

Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn will get equal practice reps during the Chiefs' bye week but ESPN.com's Bill Williamson still thinks Cassel is the favorite to start in Week 8. Blog

Crennel made it clear Tuesday that Quinn and Cassel are now in head-to-head competition.

"What I told them is I'm rotating the quarterbacks. They will get equal reps," Crennel said. "Both of them will get work, and then we'll evaluate it, and then next week we'll get ready for game week, and then we'll make a decision and go from there."

Drawing from bitter experience during four stormy years as head coach in Cleveland, Crennel knows how destructive a QB controversy can be.

"It is distracting," Crennel said. "Everybody's wondering who the guy's going to be, and all those kind of things. Then what happens, some guys on the team kind of favor one guy over another guy. Even though everybody's got a job to do and they will do their job. But it is a distraction."

Cassel missed last week's game at Tampa Bay with a concussion he sustained the week before. That was fine with some fans; many have never warmed to the former New England backup who didn't help his case by throwing nine interceptions through the first five games.

But Cassel was back on the windswept practice field Tuesday and is cleared for non-contact drills. Crennel expects him to be OK by the time the Chiefs (1-5) come back from their bye week and play Oakland (1-4) on Oct. 28.

No matter who's under center, the offense will be looking for its first touchdown in eight quarters.

"They will give (Cassel) another test next week, on game week, to finalize, to make it official," Crennel said. "But I imagine, during these couple of days here, if he does good and there's nothing different on his baseline test, that he'll be cleared for contact."

Cassel was having no trouble moving around.

"I feel great, yeah," he said. "I've passed all the tests and done all that."

Quinn, in his first start in almost three seasons, did OK for the most part during last week's 38-10 loss to the Buccaneers, the Chiefs' fourth blowout defeat. He was 22-for-38 for 180 yards, sticking almost entirely to short- and intermediate-range passes.

What I told them is I'm rotating the quarterbacks. They will get equal reps. Both of them will get work, and then we'll evaluate it, and then next week we'll get ready for game week, and then we'll make a decision and go from there.

-- Romeo Crennel, on QBs Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn

He had two interceptions, but at least one was hardly his fault as it bounced off the receiver's thigh, bounced off the defensive back's forearm and bounced off the back of the receiver's elbow before Ronde Barber snatched it out of the air, about an inch from the ground, and returned it for a touchdown.

"He processed the information nicely. He was able to read defenses, get us out of a play, get us into a play," Crennel said.

But how long will it take to chip away the rust? Is it like riding a bicycle, where it comes right back?

"I think that depends on how good of a rider you were to start with," the coach said.

Getting Cassel in a trade with New England was one of the first major moves Scott Pioli made after being named general manager in Kansas City in 2009. Although he had a nice year in 2010, last year was a struggle and this year's bad start includes a league-high 19 turnovers.

When Cassel went down in the fourth quarter of a 9-6 loss to Baltimore two weeks ago, some cheering was heard from the Arrowhead Stadium crowd. It prompted sharp comments from tackle Eric Winston about the hometown crowd and national attention no one wanted.

"All I'll say is I live here year-round in Kansas City and I've had nothing but support from the people in Kansas City and the people that we've met," Cassel said Tuesday. "The fact of the matter is Kansas City is a great place to play and we've got a passionate fan base. I'm sure they're frustrated. I'm frustrated as well. But we're working and doing everything in our power to get it corrected."

keg in kc
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
A quarterback controversy?

It's more like deciding which wrist you want to slit.

PGM
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Don't even care right now

BoneKrusher
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
and the HC's job isn't?

TEX
10-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Year 4 of Pioli...ROFL

Fritz88
10-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Pioli in damage control mode.

If the fans didn't protest, I swear Cassel would have been the starter for week 8 hands down.

Guru
A quarterback controversy?

It's more like deciding which wrist you want to slit.

ROFL

KC Tattoo
Ha stupid fuckers could have done this during preseason that and bring in REAL competition. fucking losers anyways.

Douche Baggins
That's not what he said. He didn't say it was up for grabs.

Fucking bullshit line.

Cassel will start and we all know it.

Pestilence
Year 4 of Pioli...ROFL

It's great....isn't it?

4 years in and we have a QB controversy between Cassel and Quinn.

Bane
10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Right...Fuck that stupid fat fucking piece of shit.

Strongside
10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Fuck you Romeo.

Agent V
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, bullshit. Heard it all in the offseason.

KC Tattoo
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok for the first drill, there are 10 candy wrappers all in line. The QB to pick them up the quickest wins.

scott free
10-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Crennel: Gates? best burnt ends in town, hands down... oh, you meant Antonio?

BoneKrusher
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM

****ing bullshit line.

then i hope he likes hearing boos.

Agent V
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
This will quiet the "Pioli controls the lineups" talk, then Cassel will trot up to the line and throw passes into the ground and over receivers' heads. Same old shit. Nothing will change unless he's injured again.

HemiEd
10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I am not sure if I have mentioned this yet, but I am not much of a Cassel fan.

TEX
It's great....isn't it?

4 years in and we have a QB controversy between Cassel and Quinn.

Yep. And still shitty DL, OL, LB's, HC / DC, OC and...ROFL

DeezNutz
Irrelevant bullshit until the GM is fired.

KC Tattoo
We are going be really fucked if they decide that Quinn is going be the QBotf starting next year. They wont draft a fucking quarterback and give Quinn four years then it's Stanzi turn. FML

chiefs1111
A turd is a turd is a turd

BossChief
10-17-2012, 03:57 PM
OMG the suspense is killing me.

Anyone that believes this is a straight up sucker.

Agent V
10-17-2012, 03:57 PM
We are going be really fucked if they decide that Quinn is going be the QBotf starting next year. They wont draft a fucking quarterback and give Quinn four years then it's Stanzi turn. FML

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lthenntHSj1qjpwun.gif

BCD
10-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Why not just throw Stanzi out there?

We already know Cassel and Quinn suck.

BCD
10-17-2012, 04:02 PM

I'M CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!

whoman69
10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Giving the job to someone who has proven they cannot handle the job is the utmost in incompetency. Matt Cassel should never lead this team again. He has personally been responsible for 13 turnovers in less than five full games. Quinn gets one more game to prove that he isn't a fail and then we have to move on.

Bane
10-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Fuck it bring back Mark Bradley!

bevischief
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
F*** this team. Serious f*** this team. I will start caring when the current Pisshead GM in charge is gone.

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
I read the headline as this:

Chiefs-Crennel's Job Up For Grabs.

Douche Baggins
10-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I read the headline as this:

Chiefs-Crennel's Job Up For Grabs.

ROFLROFLROFL:hail::hail::hail::hail:LMAOLMAOLMAO

jd1020
10-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Remind me when Cassel is named the starter by Saturday.

|Zach|
10-17-2012, 04:09 PM
This situation really makes Stanzi look like dog shit.

jd1020
10-17-2012, 04:11 PM
This situation really makes Stanzi look like dog shit.

Stanzi didn't already do that?

KC Tattoo
10-17-2012, 04:11 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lthenntHSj1qjpwun.gif

Exactly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/ginarsnape/Boosh%20gifs/tumblr_lexiya9gyd1qdn7kj.gif

Guru
10-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Remind me when Cassel is named the starter by Saturday.

yep

chiefscafan
10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Nope cassel is the qb now till his contract runs out. So have fun watching him flop around and blame receivers for his awful throws. Oh yeah it's Bowes fault can't blame cassel.

qabbaan
10-17-2012, 05:02 PM
This is good.

We know Cassel will start, if self preservation is an instinct Romeo posesses.

Therefore, Cassel gets less practice reps, sucks worse, 1-15 here we come.

htismaqe
10-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Stanzi didn't already do that?

He didn't look good in preseason.

But it is blatantly obvious that this staff has NO IDEA how to evaluate QBs.

jd1020
10-17-2012, 05:21 PM
He didn't look good in preseason.

But it is blatantly obvious that this staff has NO IDEA how to evaluate QBs.

So that's the reason all 3 QBs on the roster suck shit? Interesting.

Marcellus
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Irrelevant bullshit until the GM is fired.

This.

BossChief
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
By years end, Stanzi will show that he should have been the starter all year.

jd1020
10-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Because we'll pull 2 more wins out of our ass with Cassel/Quinn?

Douche Baggins
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Cassel is starting every game the rest of the season, dude.

Mr. Laz
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
There is no QB competition.

They have 3+ years of film on Cassel in a Chiefs uniform. They know what they have and don't have. This is either ...

A)They plan to go right back to Cassel and this is just PR to not fan the fire of anger about Cassel in KC.

or

B)They plan on going with Quinn and this is just a way to soften the blow to Cassel about losing his starting job.

The only competition they could have at this point is Quinn vs Stanzi.

KCUnited
10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
So they plan to go with Cassel or Quinn, got it.

Mr. Laz
10-17-2012, 05:33 PM
So they plan to go with Cassel or Quinn, got it.
way to miss the point

no competition ... the decision has already been made

htismaqe
10-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Yep.

BoneKrusher
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM

thats fine with me but if Pioli is here next season we will not get our Franchise QB.

even if we did, this clown cant get a coach to groom him, no one wants to work for Pioli.

edit* other than MC

Darckhorse0
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM

****ing bullshit line.

Whos this quaterback?

Tribal Warfare
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Cassel practices, but Chiefs hold off on QB decision (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/16/3869552/chiefs-say-cassel-cleared-for.html)
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
Matt Cassel received medical clearance Tuesday to resume non-contact drills, which effectively positions the Chiefs for a quarterback controversy as they enter the bye week in their schedule.

Brady Quinn started for an injured Cassel in Sunday’s 38-10 loss at Tampa Bay.

“What I told them is I’m rotating the quarterbacks,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said prior to Tuesday’s practice. “They will get equal reps. (Ricky) Stanzi will be one who won’t get as many reps.”

Cassel suffered a concussion in the fourth quarter of the Chiefs’ Oct. 7 loss to Baltimore. While he is only currently cleared for non-contact duty, he should be ready for the Chiefs’ next game, Oct. 28 against the Raiders at Arrowhead Stadium, barring a setback in the interim.

Cassel said he was happy to be back on the field.

“It was great to be back out there with the team,” Cassel said. “Great to feel healthy again. It was only a week but it feels like I was gone forever. I was excited to be back out there with the guys. Again, it was an opportunity for me to get better and the team to get better.”

Cassel spoke for the first time since the injury and addressed the reaction from fans that caused a swirl in Kansas City and nationally. Some fans were heard cheering after the hit and were criticized by guard Eric Winston after the game.

“I’m not really going to speak to what happened last week,” Cassel said. “All I’ll say is, look, I live here year round. I’ve had nothing but support from the people in Kansas City, from the people we’ve met, my wife has met and my children go to school with.

“The fact of the matter is, Kansas City is a great place to play. We have a passionate fan base. I’m sure that they’re frustrated. We’re frustrated as well. But we’re working and doing everything in our power to get it corrected and moving in the right direction.”

Cassel said he wasn’t surprised to be sharing snaps with Quinn.

“That’s part of the deal,” Cassel said. “Coach Crennel said in a team meeting and spoke to everybody, that everybody is going get reps this week, that this is the time to evaluate people during the bye week, to try some different things and see where we’re at.”

On the hit, Cassel said he remembers the play.

“When I hit the ground initially that’s when it went a little fuzzy,” he said. “I tried to get up and get my balance and I couldn’t grasp what was going on … It all happened so quick.”

But he’s back and will be closely watched in practice.

“They will give him another test next week, game week, to finalize it, to make it official,” Crennel said. “But I imagine that during these couple of days, if he does (well) and there’s nothing different on his baseline test, that he’ll be cleared for contact.”

Crennel acknowledged his hesitancy to identify a starting quarterback might prove disruptive for a 1-5 team struggling to reset its season.

“I’ve been involved in one before,” he said. “It is distracting because everyone is wondering who the guy is going to be. What happens is some guys on the team favor one guy over the other guy — even though everybody has a job to do … it’s a distraction.”

Asked if he had a feel for which quarterback the players might favor, Crennel laughed.

“They’re going to favor the guy who gives us the best chance to win,” he said. “No, no, I’m sorry about that. They’re going to favor the guy who I say is the quarterback. That’s who they’re going to favor.”

Quinn said he’s continuing to adjust to game action.

“This is my sixth year in a league, but I haven’t played in or started many games,” Quinn said. “Any playing time I get is always beneficial to me.

As for Sunday’s performance at Tampa Bay, where Quinn completed 22 of 38 for 180 yards and two interceptions, Quinn said he could have played better.

“There were a couple of situations where I could have gotten into a better play,” Quinn said. “For me, that comes with having more experience and seeing things a little quicker.”

Cassel struggled prior to his injury, compiling a 66.2 quarterback rating while completing 58.5 percent of his passes. He had five touchdowns but nine interceptions while being sacked 13 times.

Quinn has a 53.3 rating after completing 24 for 40 passes (60 percent). He has yet to throw a touchdown and has two interceptions.

“We’ve got two days (this week) to work through this …” Crennel said. “We don’t have a game to play, so we can focus on (evaluation) because there’s no game plan or anything like that.”

Crennel emphasized he won’t choose a starter until next week.

“I understand there is potential speculation,” he said, “what-ifs and what-ands, but my stance is … both of them will get work. Then we’ll evaluate it. Next week, we’ll get ready for game week, and we’ll make a decision.”

Crennel also revealed running back Jamaal Charles is limited because of a bruised back and was restricted Tuesday to limited duty. Charles leads the Chiefs with 591 rushing yards, an average of 98.5 yards a game.

“He’s limited today,” Crennel said. “Backs, you know how they are, it might loosen up, and he’ll be great to go (on Wednesday).”

Running back Peyton Hillis and defensive end Glenn Dorsey remain limited by injuries, Crennel said, but are improving and could be ready for the game against Oakland.

Darckhorse0
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Im waiting on get seeing alex tanney throwbgt1 tRet,

jspchief
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
This is stupid. If you've come to the decision that Cassel isn't getting it done, just bench him. It's ridiculous to try and have a QB battle midseason. Cassel already lost the tiebreaker by playing horrible in the 6 games where he was given the chance.

If after 3-4 games Quinn isn't getting it done, you take the next step.

jd1020
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM

The next step doesn't come to April 25, 2013.

keg in kc
10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
By years end, Stanzi will show that he should have been the starter all year.Is he getting shipped off to Arena League or to Canada?

Gonzo
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Turd sammich? Check...
Giant douche? Check...

Ready... Set.... SUCK!

whoman69
10-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Eventually when you come to realize that your two choices are both poor ones, then another choice has to be made. Quinn gets one more shot to prove it wasn't rust. After that the only person on your roster not proven to be a fail is left.

notorious
10-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Burn the whole mother fucker to the ground. We will dance around it like crazed indians.

Fuck Pioli and everyone and everything that is associated with that monster.

Mugalug
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Turd sammich? Check...
Giant douche? Check...

Ready... Set.... SUCK!

OMAHA! OMAHA! * Checks to draw play*-- 5 yd loss.

beach tribe
10-17-2012, 11:53 PM

****ing bullshit line.

That's what I'm thinking. We've heard this shit before.

BossChief
10-17-2012, 11:55 PM

I will bet ANYTHING that this is NOT the case.

beach tribe
10-17-2012, 11:58 PM
This is stupid. If you've come to the decision that Cassel isn't getting it done, just bench him. It's ridiculous to try and have a QB battle midseason. Cassel already lost the tiebreaker by playing horrible in the 6 games where he was given the chance.

Amazing how this is totally apparent to any fan who knows a damn thing about anything, yet a multiple SB winning coach, and the "executive of the decade" are completely clueless about it.
I just stare blankly into space when I ponder that. It's just mind numbing.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
[ But if coach Romeo Crennel returns Brady Quinn to the bench and puts Matt Cassel back under center, a quarterback controversy seems assured.

That's not a QB controversy. That's Cassel still being the starter.

BCD
10-18-2012, 12:12 AM
That's not a QB controversy. That's Cassel still being the starter.

Yep.

If Quinn starts again, then its a controversy.

el borracho
10-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Can't really say I care a whole lot which one of them plays the rest of the year; neither should be here next year.

BossChief
10-18-2012, 12:25 AM
After watching Pioli/jack Harry...I am thinking this team is gonna try to make a move for a QB...wouldnt be surprised to see them sign David Garrard.