PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs There Is An Awful, Awful Quarterback Controversy In Kansas City

Count Alex's Losses
10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
ROFL

http://deadspin.com/5952577/there-is-an-awful-awful-quarterback-controversy-in-kansas-city

Matt Cassel had a tidy little 58.5 completion percentage, had five touchdowns to nine interceptions, and didn't throw a pass longer than 33 yards. Then he got concussed, and some fans cheered. Then Brady Quinn got the start and he went 22-for-38, with two INTs.

This is the recipe for the single worst quarterback controversy in recorded history. And sure enough, with Cassel cleared to return to practice, the Chiefs have indicated that he and Quinn are in direct competition to get the starting job after the bye week, when Kansas City will undoubtedly return to putting up one embarrassing performance after another.

"What I told them is I'm rotating the quarterbacks," Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said prior to Tuesday's practice. "They will get equal reps."

This is like sampling thimblefuls of bleach and lye, to decide which one you would rather chug.

There are good arguments for starting either QB. Quinn was a first-round pick. Cassel is making $62.7 million over six years. There are also good arguments for setting your hair on fire vs. crushing your pinky and ring fingers in a door jamb.

Cassel sounds remarkably understanding about having to compete for his job.

"That's part of the deal," Cassel said. "Coach Crennel said in a team meeting and spoke to everybody, that everybody is going get reps this week, that this is the time to evaluate people during the bye week, to try some different things and see where we're at."

Try some ebola, try some anthrax, see where we're at. Matt Cassel has a passer rating of 66.2, good for 33rd in the NFL among qualified players. (Yes, 33rd, in a 32-team league. Both of Tennessee's horrible quarterbacks were better.) Quinn's passer rating in his start was 48.1. This is a choice like Sophie had a choice.

Who do the Chiefs themselves prefer under center? Is it the guy who gives them a better chance to win?

"They're going to favor the guy who gives us the best chance to win," Crennel said. "No, no, I'm sorry about that. They're going to favor the guy who I say is the quarterback. That's who they're going to favor."

Remember, there is always a third choice. The sweet embrace of death Ricky Stanzi.

Reerun_KC
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
But but we're Quinning. / lifetards

BigMeatballDave
10-17-2012, 06:16 PM

What is it like to be clueless all the time?

:)

Reerun_KC
10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
What is it like to be clueless all the time?

:)

Yeah no one was begging for Quinn.

Rain Man
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
The title made me laugh, but it was a plaintive, sad laugh.

BigMeatballDave
10-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Again, clueless...

Sofa King
10-17-2012, 06:25 PM

I think everyone was begging for "not cassel".

Bane
10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
At this point a little anthrax might be a good thing.

Reerun_KC
10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Again, clueless...

Again. You're a huge Cassel fan. Why r you bothering me?

Reerun_KC
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
How can you have a controversy? Seriously? Timmy vs Jimmy.

bevischief
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Facebook and Twitter this.

Molitoth
10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I think everyone was begging for "not cassel".

this

whoman69
10-17-2012, 08:34 PM
This is like a really bad game show from Monty Python.

MC: Well through door number one you get punched in the balls. Through door number two you get a midget come out and repeatedly kick you in the shins. Which door would you like?

contestant: There's three doors. Why can't I choose number three?

MC: Because it wouldn't be as much fun for us.

MotherfuckerJones
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Wonder what Quinn's QB rating would be if they caught the ball and not gave it to the defense

Lonewolf Ed
10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Wonder what Quinn's QB rating would be if they caught the ball and not gave it to the defense

Could you please rephrase that? :spock:

evolve27
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM

But Matt had a great first half against the Falcons\Egoli

Deberg_1990
10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Stanzi or Clausen!

BoneKrusher
10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
But Matt had a great first half against the Falcons\Egoli

Pioli's just learned the games are 60 minutes. ROFL