PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Go On Record: Cam Newton, Geno Smith, or Matt Barkley?

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
If Carolina decides to go a different route with the new GM and decides to trade Cam Newton would you give up the first round pick for him?

Or

Would you rather go with Geno Smith who's upside could be Aaron Rodgers or Matt Barkley who is polished ready to start day 1 with Matt Ryan potential?

Discuss.

suds79
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Do I have the #1 overall pick the draft or #2? It matters.

cyborgtable
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I would take Geno over them. I don't trust SC qb's and was never a fan of Cam

JASONSAUTO
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Geno.
I like cam. Even said he would go top ten before most here believed it, but...

I think Geno is more mentally sound and throws the long ball better
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsandO'sfan
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
If Carolina decides to go a different route with the new GM and decides to trade Cam Newton would you give up the first round pick for him?

Or

Would you rather go with Geno Smith who's upside could be Aaron Rodgers or Matt Barkley who is polished ready to start day 1 with Matt Ryan potential?

Discuss.

Carolina is FIRING PEOPLE TO MAKE CAM Happy.

philfree
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
From the little I've watched of Geno Smith I didn't see him as an Arron Rogers. Alot of things are going to happen between now and the draft so it's to early to make a choice.

suds79
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
If I have the #1 overall pick, I probably hold onto it and probably take Geno. Better passer. Can always change your mind.

But if I have the #2 overall pick? No way I'm going to chance getting stuck with Barkley. Give me Cam then.

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Not a fan of Cam.

Give me Geno.

I'll take Barkley or Wilson if Geno wasn't available.

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I think I would go with Newton. Even though it's a major red flag if he were traded 2 years after being drafted he's already proven he can throw for 4,000 yards and I think he's an overall better play maker than Smith or Barkley will be.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Matt Barkley does NOT have Matt Ryan potential. The comparison is absurd.

For starters, he's about the same size as DREW BREES. Matt Ryan is 6'4".

Shogun
10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

He's not Matt Ryan because he's 2 inches smaller but he's the same size as Drew Brees who he's 2 inches taller than

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6718/4qle9w.png

DaneMcCloud
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Brees was measured at 6' and one half inch. Barkley is "supposedly" 6'2.

I never trust any of these measurement reports until the Combines.

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Barkley is the same size as Aaron Rodgers.

jaa1025
10-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Any. There is zero chance that Cam Newton is for trade though.

Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson or even EJ Manuel (maybe) would make me happy in the first depending on where we pick.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
He's not Matt Ryan because he's 2 inches smaller but he's the same size as Drew Brees who he's 2 inches taller than

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/6718/4qle9w.png

He's officially listed at 6'2" in the USC media guide.

That generally means he's about 6-foot and a half.

Bump

and yet, Matt Cassel is taller than both of them. Must mean he's GOOD

BCD
I'm not crazy about Barkley, but he looks to be a metric shitton better than Sanchez.

I fear USC QBs, but I wouldn't cry if the Chiefs took him.

SNR
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
In order of preference:

1. Smith
2. Newton
3. Barkley

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Brees was measured at 6' and one half inch. Barkley is "supposedly" 6'2.

I never trust any of these measurement reports until the Combines.

Exaclty.

Nobody I've heard thinks he's actually 6'2".

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
and yet, Matt Cassel is taller than both of them. Must mean he's GOOD

:spock:

Who said that?

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
By the way, where is the Wilson option?

He's the other guy that I'd look at right there with Geno.

milkman
Geno Smith.

Higher upside than Barkley, who I believe is close to reaching his ceiling, and as stated, more mentally stable than Newton.

Tribal Warfare

He doesn't have Ryan's arm strength either.

3rd&48ers
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
If cam quits whining he is easily worth a #1 because his skills are already known... No way I would take a rookie QB over a proven QB that is only a couple of years in the NFL

Woodchuck
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Geno Smith

Iconic
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
The real question is Smith or Newton?

Because we can all agree that Barkley is a Turd.

eazyb81
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Came Newton for sure, but zero chance he is traded.

I don't have a strong preference between Geno or Barkley. Both would grade out lower than Luck and RG3.

Holgorson's basic offense scares me with Geno, and he doesn't have the unreal athletic upside that Cam does.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Id probably take Landry Jones with the first overall, but if we win a few games and drop to like 7th overall, Id be OK with Geno Smith. :evil:

:popcorn:

Pestilence
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
In order of preference:

1. Smith
2. Newton
3. Barkley

This.

KCUnited
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Cam would turn into RuPaul under Romeo.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
By the way, where is the Wilson option?

He's the other guy that I'd look at right there with Geno.

You hate Jay Cutler but you would like Tyler Wilson?

Seriously?

How about Tyler Bray?

O.city
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Cam. You know what he can do. Pretty sure if they would run the ball more in Carolina he would be better

That said, it's still on him to be a leader.

Geno and Barkley are intriguing tho. Shit guys I'm just excited that it looks like these are options at this point

MahiMike
10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I watched Geno play vs K State and came away more impressed w/Klein. Really didn't like it when smith threw a tantrum on sidelines. Need to watch more of him and barkley.

BoneKrusher
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Itsa Geno

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
It is retarded that Newton is in this discussion.

NO WAY is Carolina going to part with him after 2 seasons.

wazu
10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Geno.

MIAdragon

and has the arm of Mark Casel, just say no.

Munson
1 - Geno
2 - Barkley
3 - FML

blaise
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I'd take Cam. I think he's just young and stupid. In 5 years he'll be a different guy.

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Cam Newton in Mike McCoys offense would be sexy

Pestilence
Cam Newton in Mike McCoys offense would be sexy

This. A running QB who actually can throw the ball.

BossChief
Cam. You know what he can do. Pretty sure if they would run the ball more in Carolina he would be better

That said, it's still on him to be a leader.

Geno and Barkley are intriguing tho. Shit guys I'm just excited that it looks like these are options at this point

They were talking about this on the Herd today and Colin said that they are running a strip down version of an NFL offense because Cam has a hard time expanding to more. I dont doubt that one bit.

During the pregame this last sunday, they did a breakdown of why the Carolina running backs are struggling and its because of the read option stuff they are running and how teams have it figured out...

If Cam doesn't get his head in that playbook and master it so they can open things up, he is gonna go down bust row.

I hate to throw the name out there, because the two arent comparable in many ways, but Vince Young came in REALLY hot, too. Made the probowl as a rookie and won like 9 or 10 games and only lost a couple after the team was total crap before he hit the field..and look what happened to him when he couldnt expand his useage of the playbook and couldnt overcome being immature.

I think Cam is currently walking that tightrope and I dont think I would give up a top 5 pick for him at this point.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
You hate Jay Cutler but you would like Tyler Wilson?

Seriously?

How about Tyler Bray?

I've already said that I'm concerned about Wilson, both the leadership that he hasn't shown and the fact that he hasn't proven his success was more Bobby Petrino's system rather than his talent.

I do think guys mature however. There's time to correct Wilson's flaws.

Not really so with Barkley. As milkman said, it appears he might be close to his ceiling.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Considering that they're firing people to make him happy.

Um, yeah.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM

If a team came to them with a top 5 pick, they would have to at least listen.

New GM and all.

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Where is Mecca to pimp his USC golden boy?

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I've already said that I'm concerned about Wilson, both the leadership that he hasn't shown and the fact that he hasn't proven his success was more Bobby Petrino's system rather than his talent.

I do think guys mature however. There's time to correct Wilson's flaws.

Not really so with Barkley. As milkman said, it appears he might be close to his ceiling.

People said that Luck was close to his ceiling too. I don't give a shit if the guys a good QB this team will win. Period.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
The thing I like about Wilson, Smith and Barkley...they could all start immediately and make a positive impact.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
People said that Luck was close to his ceiling too. I don't give a shit if the guys a good QB this team will win. Period.

Luck's ceiling isn't even in eye-shot of Barkley's ceiling.

Luck's FLOOR is higher than Barkley's ceiling.

EDIT: And so it doesn't look like I'm strictly bagging on Barkley, Luck's FLOOR is probably higher than Smith's ceiling too. Or Cam Newton's. Luck is a once-in-a-generation guy.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:37 PM
The thing I like about Wilson, Smith and Barkley...they could all start immediately and make a positive impact.

I think Ryan Tannehill (who I was NOT a fan of) is living proof that just about ANY QB could start immediately and make a positive impact.

BCD
10-24-2012, 04:37 PM
If a team came to them with a top 5 pick, they would have to at least listen.

New GM and all.

Doubtful.

Wouldn't the Panthers have a large cap hit trading Newton?

O.city
10-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Newton was in the new agreement so not a big cap hit

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Luck's ceiling isn't even in eye-shot of Barkley's ceiling.

Luck's FLOOR is higher than Barkley's ceiling.

Barkley is a very smart accurate QB. Ceiling reached or not you win games with those kind of guys.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Barkley is a very smart accurate QB. Ceiling reached or not you win games with those kind of guys.

We really don't know that he's super smart. He very rarely has to go through his progressions because the 1st guy is usually open.

He is pretty accurate but there's a few throws he can't make in the NFL because the ball won't get there fast enough.

You can certainly win games with guys like that. But you're not gonna win Super Bowls with guys like that unless you've got the 2000 Ravens defense or something similar.

O.city
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I know he hasn't had a great year and is said to be a douche, but I'm coming arou d on bray. From a physical standpoint he's probably the most prototypical guy in this class

Iconic
10-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Dog shit could start in place of what we have now and immediately make a positive impact

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I know he hasn't had a great year and is said to be a douche, but I'm coming arou d on bray. From a physical standpoint he's probably the most prototypical guy in this class

I'm honestly ready for "all of the above".

Sure, I would prefer Smith.

But there are definitely things to like about Wilson, Barkley, Bray, Logan Thomas, and others.

Just take a guy EARLY and play him EARLY.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I haven't watched more than a couple quarters of Logan Thomas and I consistently see him mocked as a first round pick.

Why haven't there been more discussions about him on here?

All I know about him is what Ive read on Walters and other scouting sites and he seems like a promising high ceiling guy that should probably be talked about more.

Somebody should probably take up the cause for the kid on here because his upside seems higher than Barkley and maybe even Wilson.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I would easily go with Cam, if he had the talent we have on offense, we would be at least 4-2.

The Bad Guy
10-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I think out of all 3, Cam has the best chance to be great.

The Bad Guy
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Cam truly has shit offensive talent around him. Steve Smith has aged, there's no #2, and Olson is nothing great at TE.

His attitude sucks, but in terms of skill, he's the best out of Smith and Barkley.

thurman merman
10-24-2012, 05:09 PM
D) All of the above

Chocolate Hog
I haven't watched more than a couple quarters of Logan Thomas and I consistently see him mocked as a first round pick.

All I know about him is what Ive read on Walters and other scouting sites and he seems like a promising high ceiling guy that should probably be talked about more.

Somebody should probably take up the cause for the kid on here because his upside seems higher than Barkley and maybe even Wilson.

I really like Logan Thomas but he's a project. I think he's struggled this year because the tools around him aren't that great and he needs to work on his mechanics.

Dude made a throw for a TD against GT that Cassel couldn't even dream of making.

htismaqe

He's raw, isn't a terrific pocket passer, and plays for Frank Beamer.

On the flipside, he's a physical FREAK. 6'6" and pretty fast for 250+ pounds.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I really like Logan Thomas but he's a project. I think he's struggled this year because the tools around him aren't that great and he needs to work on his mechanics.

Dude made a throw for a TD against GT that Cassel couldn't even dream of making.

This.

O.city
Thinking about taking up the cause for bray

Chocolate Hog
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kQxzw1hdHxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Bad Guy

To be fair, my 3 year old just threw his lego across the room and I don't think Cassel could make the same throw.

The Bad Guy
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Thinking about taking up the cause for bray

Not me. His college coach is starting to make comments about him. I think he has to stay in school.

Mr_Tomahawk
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Tyler Wilson.

O.city
10-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Not me. His college coach is starting to make comments about him. I think he has to stay in school.

Probably so

But I think he might have the highest upside of any guy in this class. It's just that it might be unlikely he ever gets there

hometeam
Im already on record as a Geno fan.

If we cant get Geno we have to try SOMETHING.

Chocolate Hog
To be fair, my 3 year old just threw his lego across the room and I don't think Cassel could make the same throw.

ROFL

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 05:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kQxzw1hdHxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That first pass is a perfect example. He kind of flicks the ball, doesn't even really step into the throw - and it goes FORTY YARDS.

It just wasn't very accurate - he under-threw the WR. He throws that over the top and it's a TD.

Detoxing
10-24-2012, 05:15 PM
People are downplaying Barkley in a dramatic fashion. And much like every other QB that CP has been wrong about, im sure Barkley will have a good NFL career.

Fritz88
10-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Geno.
I like cam. Even said he would go top ten before most here believed it, but...

I think Geno is more mentally sound and throws the long ball better
Posted via Mobile Device

Out of these three, no one throws a better deep ball than Cam.

Chocolate Hog
That first pass is a perfect example. He kind of flicks the ball, doesn't even really step into the throw - and it goes FORTY YARDS.

It just wasn't very accurate - he under-threw the WR. He throws that over the top and it's a TD.

Yeah that's the thing but to be fair he's been a Qb for 2 years now. I would love to draft that guy but not as the franchise QB. I don't think this franchise can afford to draft him but if you told me in 4-5 years this guy will be one of the best QB's in the league I could buy that. Does that make sense?

htismaqe
People are downplaying Barkley in a dramatic fashion. And much like every other QB that CP has been wrong about, im sure Barkley will have a good NFL career.

I don't see too many people downplaying Barkley other than me.

PGM
10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
None, too risky. Have to get that killer TE or FB in round 1.

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah that's the thing but to be fair he's been a Qb for 2 years now. I would love to draft that guy but not as the franchise QB. I don't think this franchise can afford to draft him but if you told me in 4-5 years this guy will be one of the best QB's in the league I could buy that. Does that make sense?

It makes sense.

I've just gotten to the point where I see plusses and minuses with all of these guys.

I'm ready to draft a QB and don't really care which one anymore.

Chocolate Hog
10-24-2012, 05:19 PM
BTW that throw at 9:03 will make you cry.

ILChief
10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Any of the three or tyler wilson

BossChief
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
I am about half way through that Logan Thomas video and I am yet to see him NOT stare down his first option.

I see a whole lot of option runs and throws to his first target and on a few of those passes, you can see a wide open receiver that was missed.

I am beginning to understand why nobody is talking about the kid.

CoMoChief
10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
everytime i see skip bayless i want to punch a puppy

Reaper16
10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Logan Thomas is the sashimi of QBs.

BossChief
10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
There isnt much out of that video that screams "first round pick" except his arm strength.

His accuracy is terrible
His vision is equal to his accuracy
He doesnt go through any progressions
If his first option is covered, he immediately looks to run.
The offense they run probably cripples his ability to develop any tools he may have

I know its just one youtube video, but the kid looks like a third rounder at best and Im not interested at all.

O.city
10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
That's the hardest thing to evaluate with these college offenses. Rarely do these guys really make progressions.

L.A. Chieffan
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Cam all day long

htismaqe
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
That's the hardest thing to evaluate with these college offenses. Rarely do these guys really make progressions.

Precisely.

Watch film of Geno, Barley, or Wilson and you'll see largely the same thing. That's the way college offenses are designed, by and large.

Hell, watch a lot of film of RG3 at Baylor and you'll see it.

O.city
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Precisely.

Watch film of Geno, Barley, or Wilson and you'll see largely the same thing. That's the way college offenses are designed, by and large.

Hell, watch a lot of film of RG3 at Baylor and you'll see it.

I mean even in the nfl, a large part of successful offenses is presnap a recognition after. It's not as if you have time to go thru all these progressions you just hav to go thru them quickly

Chief Roundup
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
No thanks to Cam Newton. He looks bad in a lot of ways right now. But the biggest to me is his throwing his coaches and teammates basicly under the bus without taking any blame. He also said I don't know over and over. He damn well should know at least what he can do better.

HoneyBadger
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Where's the poll?

BossChief
10-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Where's the poll?

I wouldn't ask that question around here...

RunKC
10-24-2012, 06:48 PM
With Pioli's love for the SEC, I bet he leans towards Tyler Wilson (if he is still here).

I like Wilson. He's been through hell and back and he's freaking man in the pocket.
He's been through more adversity than Geno and Barkley combined. He's a BAMF playing in the hardest conference a QB can play in.

With a decent coach and some quality WR's, Arkansas was the 3rd best team in college last year.

L.A. Chieffan
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Sashimi is great

3rd&48ers
10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2010/10/21/sashimi300x229_1.jpg

Pawnmower
10-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Newton or Barkley

King_Chief_Fan
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
you get Barkley

Newton has already proven to be a jack-ass

King_Chief_Fan
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Where's the poll?

your mamma knows:eek:

SNR
10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Chiefs Planet has only been wrong about QBs who actually suck. I don't think I've ever seen the forum universally bash a college QB who went on to do great things in the pros.

SNR
10-24-2012, 08:27 PM
If CP is looking for a massive headache of a QB who has the skills but is just ultra inconsistent in his application, we should look at Tajh Boyd.

I really liked what I saw out of him last year, even in all those losses to end the season. The guy clearly has the heart of a warrior.

I doubt he'll declare this year, but if he does and we can't get the top 3 guys, he's a QB we need to consider.

Reaper16
10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Sashimi is great

Yeah it is. I was just falling asleep on my couch and tried to say that Logan Thomas is raw in a more clever way.

TEX
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Barkley

boogblaster
10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Barkley ...

Predarat
10-25-2012, 07:42 AM
I would not give up a 1st or 2nd for sCam. Maybe a 3rd or 4th.

KC Tattoo
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
As of today am wanting Matt Barkley with his accuracy & not to hold that he plays for USC against him. I really want to see more out of Geno Smith to get his team back on track just to change my mind again and go for him. I'd be more than thrilled for either of those two.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Or

Discuss.

Sweet Jesus, why?