PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone here ever hit a deer?

ZepSinger
10-25-2012, 09:00 AM
My wife hit a big one about a year ago with the minivan- $5k in damage, almost totaled the vehicle. Fixed it, and then I hit another deer with the same van 4 months later. Totaled this time.

Followed a car home the other night- a deer ran out in front of that car. He slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting it, and I came within 6" from rear-ending him as a result. There have been a few other close calls as well.

I'm hearing that this is getting epidemic nowadays. Anyone else have a deer meets car story?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/deer-vs-car-crashes-rise-wildlife-hits-road-205600315.html

ChiefsNow
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Oh deer me.

Frosty
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Around here, they say there are only two kinds of drivers - those that have hit a deer and those that haven't hit one yet. So far, I am in the second category though have gotten close several times. The way I have been driving to work has been a gauntlet since it has gotten dark in the morning.

Friggin' long-legged rats.

Buehler445
10-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Man, there are a lot of those out here. Those goddamned animals are out of control. I cut a field of Sorghum the other day, and there was a significant herd 10+ of white tails on one side and ANOTHER herd of Mule deer on the other.

:cuss:

mr. tegu
10-25-2012, 09:15 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AA-FeG-DdRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445
10-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Around here, they say there are only two kinds of drivers - those that have hit a deer and those that haven't hit one yet. So far, I am in the second category though have gotten close several times. The way I have been driving to work has been a gauntlet since it has gotten dark in the morning.

Friggin' long-legged rats.

Here too. Fortunately me and my wife are both in the "not yet" category. It's pretty amazing, half the time, on the county roads I'm half asleep anyway.

A funny deer story. We had this high school kid working for us. He was driving this like 72 Ford 3/4 ton. It was a gomer. Anyway, he left work and headed for home. Hit a deer. Busted up the grill and shit. He was pissed. He thought his dad would think he was fucking off and wrecked. So he tied a chain onto the varmint and drug it all the way home so his dad could see that he actually hit a deer.

mr. tegu
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
They were getting really bad here basically in the middle of the city, especially around the Shawnee Mission Park area. I remember a few years ago they let a bunch of bow hunters go in the park and get around 200 of them. Things were starving to death because there was just too many.

BoneKrusher
10-25-2012, 09:18 AM
in this area of Virginia i usually see one every 5 miles, i've been lucky so far.
keeps the highway department busy cleaning up 460.

kc rush
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I hit one on a rural highway in NE Missouri in the mid-90's. I saw it so I slammed on my brakes. It rolled off my hood and took off. We had to replace the hood, front bumper and the front passenger quarter pannel. The car was drivable thankfully.

Because it was a lease vehicle, we had to have the repairs done at a Mazda dealership and there were no dealers in kirksville at that time. We had to take the car to KC and leave it there for a while.

theelusiveeightrop
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
40 minute commute on an interstate 5 days a week. This time of year, one every 7-8 miles.

Al Bundy
10-25-2012, 09:23 AM
I hit one back in 93. The damn thing torched the front end of my newly repainted 1985 Camaro.

blaise
10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I haven't, but I've been in cars that have. Was behind a truck once that hit one and it must have hit just right, because the deer shot like 20 feet into the air.

Frazod
10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I've come really close a few times, including one incident where the air of the car rushing by made the deer tumble, but no (at least not yet-knock on wood).

We really need to expand hunting season on those goddamn things.

kc rush
10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
in this area of Virginia i usually see one every 5 miles, i've been lucky so far.
keeps the highway department busy cleaning up 460.

We were visiting my sister-in-law in Philly and saw at least one dead dear every mile on a long stretch between there and Pittsburgh.

They had a high divider between east and westbound traffic on the interstate and the deer would get on the road, figure out they couldn't jump the wall, panic and try to back across traffic. They were basically pinned in once they got on the interstate.

Easy 6
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Yep, i told it to make just one more smartass remark & it didnt listen.

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
They were getting really bad here basically in the middle of the city, especially around the Shawnee Mission Park area. I remember a few years ago they let a bunch of bow hunters go in the park and get around 200 of them. Things were starving to death because there was just too many.

Here’s the problem, at least in Kansas. The population is growing and we’re selling fewer deer tags every year. It’s going to take a disease die off to cull the herd.

Donger
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Having the deer crossing signs in populated areas and on interstates is silly. They should move the deer crossing signs to more remote areas.

BoneKrusher
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
We were visiting my sister-in-law in Philly and saw at least one dead dear every mile on a long stretch between there and Pittsburgh.

They had a high divider between east and westbound traffic on the interstate and the deer would get on the road, figure out they couldn't jump the wall, panic and try to back across traffic. They were basically pinned in once they got on the interstate.

yep.
Bears are starting to get over populated here as well, neighbor had one get into his trash a few nights ago.

blaise
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM

Something like that was happening when I lived in Rochester, NY. There were deer all over one of the suburbs. They'd be in people's yards and everything. They eventually had police shooters shoot a bunch, but there was animal rights people yelling about it.

Frosty
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Here too. Fortunately me and my wife are both in the "not yet" category. It's pretty amazing, half the time, on the county roads I'm half asleep anyway.

A funny deer story. We had this high school kid working for us. He was driving this like 72 Ford 3/4 ton. It was a gomer. Anyway, he left work and headed for home. Hit a deer. Busted up the grill and shit. He was pissed. He thought his dad would think he was ****ing off and wrecked. So he tied a chain onto the varmint and drug it all the way home so his dad could see that he actually hit a deer.

LMAO

The only time I've been in a car that hit a deer was riding up to Canada with my folks and my girlfriend at the time. We are driving down the road in broad daylight and this thing came shooting out of the brush at the side of the road and ran smack into the back door of the car. It left a nose print on the window by where my girlfriend was sitting. Scared the shit out of her.

Didn't do any real damage to the car and the deer ran off. It was just weird having run into the back half of the car like that.

Frazod
10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Something like that was happening when I lived in Rochester, NY. There were deer all over one of the suburbs. They'd be in people's yards and everything. They eventually had police shooters shoot a bunch, but there was animal rights people yelling about it.

Fucking PETA freaks. We should send them the auto repair bills. 4321

mdchiefsfan
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
NSFW: Language

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ln1ucGoPvWk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Flachief58
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
I hit one in the early 90's on my way home from a party @ 2am. My then wife had too much to drink & started puking in the car. I took my eyes off the road for a second to check on her, when I looked back, the damn thing was trying to become my new hood ornament. 3k in damages and a car that smelled like puke. The deer was pretty tasty though

loochy
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Back in high school I hit a deer on the way to school. I didn't have much damage and the car was still driveable. The front quarter panel and hood got dented and my headlight was broken and that was about it. I paid enough attention so I could actually slow down in time.

Also of note...I hit a turkey on the way to school too. There was some tall grass on the side of the road and when I drove by the giant bird just appeared from nowhere and slams into the driver's side of the windshield. I was covered in glass and I'm lucky that it didn't break all the way through.

lcarus
10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
I hit a dog last winter. It was the first snow of the year, it was dark and late, I didn't realize it was gonna snow so much that it would be that slick. Driving down a city road and all of a sudden this big ass dog is just standing there. I tried stopping but to no avail. BOOM. Poor dog. He kinda limped off into the woods off the side of the road, clearly hurt, but I wasn't gonna do shit about it so I just kept going. Nobody else saw me hit it. I felt bad, but it was his own fault.

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 09:40 AM
My last run in with a deer story: I had just dropped off MiniRadar at the In-Law’s farm and was driving a country road back to the highway when a big buck crossed the road in front of me. He was far enough away I wasn’t close to hitting him but after crossing he ran alongside the road so I pulled up next to him to count the tines on his rack. I’m counting the tines on his rack when I hear a crash and my truck lurches. I slam the brakes and look down at the road to see a doe sliding down the road on her belly, legs spread in all four directions, with a look on her face like “WTF WAS THAT?”
After she stopped sliding she jumped up and followed the buck, then about three more doe crossed the road behind me to join the buck.
End result: smashed grill but no other damage and lesson learned that where there’s one there’s more, just like cockroaches.

Graystoke
I hit one last year with my little pickup. I wasn't even going that fast and that thing rolled down into the ditch and then up into somebody's driveway. I got out and it was dead, but I was like???? Do I just leave it in this dudes driveway or what?
But then my eyes saw a tractor with a loader and I was thinking...this guy can deal with it.

Frosty
One other weird deer encounter happened last year as we were driving down to Spokane at Christmas. A deer came out from our side of the road and tried to cross the highway. It got in front of the oncoming vehicle and tried to double back but somehow fell down. The on-coming pickup didn't have time to stop and actually ran over its neck. I've seen other cars hit deer but I hadn't seen anything like that before.

Codered
10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
TWO! Gah ... I actually just hit one a few weeks ago on the way to work in the early morning. Ran out in the middle of the highway just at the right time.

My car ended up totaled.

boogblaster
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
yea .. but i like women better ....

Oh Snap
10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I hit one a couple of years back with my truck. It pretty much destroyed the entire left side of my bumper. I had to physically pull my bumper out of my wheel well which took the brunt of the impact. The drivers side light was also impacted. Other than that, the truck was fine.

Deers are right up there with squirrels when it comes to smarts. I hate them!

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I punched one in the face. fucker had it coming.

HemiEd
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
They are similar to Canadian Geese, over protected.

To answer your op question, I did hit a deer with a brand new 85 old cutlass supreme on my way to a sales meeting in KC one morning.

12 point buck, hit him right in the ass over by Towanda, Kansas. I was extremely fortunate that it didn't come through the windshield. I was about 20 minutes late to the meeting with deer skin hanging off the fender, and the headlight hanging down by the wires.

Most of the delay is due to a Kansas law of me being required to dispose of the deer.

I think it was about 4k in damage at that time.

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
My wife hit a big one about a year ago with the minivan- $5k in damage, almost totaled the vehicle. Fixed it, and then I hit another deer with the same van 4 months later. Totaled this time.

Followed a car home the other night- a deer ran out in front of that car. He slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting it, and I came within 6" from rear-ending him as a result. There have been a few other close calls as well.

I'm hearing that this is getting epidemic nowadays. Anyone else have a deer meets car story?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/deer-vs-car-crashes-rise-wildlife-hits-road-205600315.html

Whammy

thurman merman
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I once hit two baby deer at the same time. They were walking along on separate sides of the road, and both converged into the middle of the road at the same time. I hit them and they flew into ditches on alternate sides of the road. It was crazy.

Idahojim
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Go to YouTube and write Joe and the Bambulance. Best hitting a deer story you'll ever hear. It's a real 911 call.

tooge
10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
where are all the anti hunters?

tooge
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I've hit plenty. Some with an arrow, and some with a 130 grain 270 bullet.

Buehler445
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Heh. That reminds me. My wife commutes to the next town over every day. She used to commute with a buddy of mine that worked over there too.

Anyway, they show up after work one night both just laughing hilariously. I knew it had to be pretty funny if it got my buddy riled up like that. Normally he's stone cold.

Anyway, the story I got was they were following this Peterbilt truck, with the huge fenders up front. Anyway, as they're following this truck, he stomps the brakes, hits the jake, and tries to get her shut down. A second later a deer hits these big sweeping fenders and it's like a goddamn motorcross ramp. My buddy swears the deer went 50 feet in the air and landed in the ditch somewhere.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Hipsters don't hit deer, the deer hits them.

rockymtnchief
10-25-2012, 10:39 AM
I've hit quite a few and missed elk/moose/bear/buffalo/antelope by inches. I could'nt even count the number of gophers/rabbits/racoons I've hit.

Valiant
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Hit one this year in my truck, young one, dead instantly, 1900 in damages.

Truck fixed.
Next night hit a giant buck, stopped enough to glance him. Luckily no damage, seen at least.

I would of avoided the first accident but had cars on both sides of me and could only brake.

Frosty
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Anyway, the story I got was they were following this Peterbilt truck, with the huge fenders up front. Anyway, as they're following this truck, he stomps the brakes, hits the jake, and tries to get her shut down. A second later a deer hits these big sweeping fenders and it's like a goddamn motorcross ramp. My buddy swears the deer went 50 feet in the air and landed in the ditch somewhere.

The truckers around here don't even slow down for deer. You can tell when they get a particularly good shot on one because it look like the deer exploded all over the road.

saphojunkie
10-25-2012, 10:48 AM
My friend and I were driving on K10 at two in the morning. We were bone dry sober, but were rocking out. A particularly favorite band of ours was in the throes of a spectacular guitar solo. (I believe it was Alice in Chains or Blind Melon - don't laugh, their stuff is NOTHING like 'no rain.' They were a spinoff from Guns & Roses, essentially, and had some kick ass music.)

As we're belting out the last phrases of the chorus, top of our lungs, we look at each other for the sustained note. Then my friend checks back in on the road.

He screams.
I look.
I scream.
I swear the deer screamed.

The ****ing thing EXPLODES on impact like it was a watermelon dropped on the sidewalk from a penthouse apartment. Its head POPS off its body, rolls up the hood, over the windshield and over the top of the car.

We hit the brakes, pull over, and get out. We circle around to check the front of the car.

A wonderful spray of blood has turned his white hood to red. Long hairs are impaled into the paint job. We'd been driving for awhile, and tiny bits of flesh sizzled over the hot engine. My friend turns to me and just says:

"Fatality."

There was zero damage to the car. Zero damage to us.

The deer was fucked.

JASONSAUTO
10-25-2012, 10:53 AM
ummm yeah.

never while i was driving though. the wife has though.

happens in the country.

good thing my buddy owns a body shop.

Big Smoke
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AA-FeG-DdRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What great quality/

durtyrute
10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
On Mrs. Rute's birthday, I was driving her and her friend back to our house. Let's just say, I was a little more that tipsy. About a half a mile from the exit, a baby deer decides to run across the highway right in front of us. All I saw was the head and those beedy little eyes. I think I took the head clean off. Anyway, I didn't want to stop since I had had a couple, so we continued home with me saying over and over, "Holy Shit we hit a deer, Holy Shit we hit a deer." Meanwhile, the ladies where both in the backseat cracking up. They were so fucked up they didn't know what actually happened.

The next morning I had to go to work and the Mrs. Rute called the insurance guy to report the accident. Later that morning, she took the car to the shop. On the way there, she rear ends someone with deer guts literally hanging from the hood of the car. She had to call her insurance guy back and report that accident as well.

Good times

Al Bundy
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I haven't, but I've been in cars that have. Was behind a truck once that hit one and it must have hit just right, because the deer shot like 20 feet into the air.

I was riding next to semi on south 71 in 98 that hit a 10 point buck. Deer exploded, the deer head launched over my car and took off my antenna.

Bump
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I grew up in rural Kansas and never hit a deer. But I've never been in any sort of accident for that matter either. I guess that's why my car insurance just nearly doubled after 16 years of accident free driving, they must have figured I'm due.

DJ's left nut
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Here’s the problem, at least in Kansas. The population is growing and we’re selling fewer deer tags every year. It’s going to take a disease die off to cull the herd.

Or the conservation departments of the respective states could lower the non-resident deer tag price.

It's $225 for a non-resident firearm tag in Missouri and it's $17 for a resident tag. WTF sense does that make?

You're doing this to kill the damn things - let more people come in and do it. It's just nuts to go hunting out of state and Missouri really isn't any worse than anywhere else.

Rain Man
10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Anyone here ever hit a deer?

This one time in a bar, a deer started hitting on my wife. It didn't come to blows, but I almost hit a deer that night.

Fish
10-25-2012, 12:13 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VyxqTYlW1FM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I once hit a chain link gate on the passenger side of my company truck. The next morning I was coming into work planning to tell my boss and a deer t-boned the side of my truck! I was going about 45 mph and she ran into the passenger side. She put a huge dent in it and there was hair everywhere. it completely covered the damage from hitting the gate.

How lucky was that? LOL

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Hit one this year in my truck, young one, dead instantly, 1900 in damages.

Truck fixed.
Next night hit a giant buck, stopped enough to glance him. Luckily no damage, seen at least.

I would of avoided the first accident but had cars on both sides of me and could only brake.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=images/products/WES/HDXseriesGrilleGuard.jpg&w=200&h=200

Predarat
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I sidewiped one once, luckily. Almost hit it head on.

Buehler445
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/images.ashx?i=images/products/WES/HDXseriesGrilleGuard.jpg&w=200&h=200

Just make GODDAMN sure it is sturdier than hell and attaches to the frame.

A bunch of assbags out here bought $2,000 "bull guards" and when they hit the deer, they ended up with a busted ass bull guard smashed into their busted ass pickups.

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Just make GODDAMN sure it is sturdier than hell and attaches to the frame.

A bunch of assbags out here bought $2,000 "bull guards" and when they hit the deer, they ended up with a busted ass bull guard smashed into their busted ass pickups.

Truth. Mounted right, though, deer will literally explode when hit with a solid brush guard on front.

bigbucks24
10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Was driving in rural Iowa. Wife starts yelling, "Deer. Deer!" I see the 3 deer on the side of the road so i start to slow down and move to the middle of the road. She yells it again, "Deer! DEER!" I say, "I see them...." then thunk. I hit the bastard standing in the middle of the road. She's like, "What the hell? Were you aiming for him?" I'm like, "I missed 75% of the deer. That's pretty good, right?" $3,600 in damage. Then she goes and hits a mountain lion with the same car (Mountaineer). $3,200 in damage. So we're even.

-King-
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM

One of my biggest fears is that I'll hit a deer and it will crash through the windshield and I'll be stuck with a deer head (or worse deer balls) in my face.

Bump
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CI8UPHMzZm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL

Rain Man
10-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Was driving in rural Iowa. Wife starts yelling, "Deer. Deer!" I see the 3 deer on the side of the road so i start to slow down and move to the middle of the road. She yells it again, "Deer! DEER!" I say, "I see them...." then thunk. I hit the bastard standing in the middle of the road. She's like, "What the hell? Were you aiming for him?" I'm like, "I missed 75% of the deer. That's pretty good, right?" $3,600 in damage. Then she goes and hits a mountain lion with the same car (Mountaineer). $3,200 in damage. So we're even.

A mountain lion? Seriously? Where was this? And did you get to keep it to stuff and mount?

tmax63
10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
A guy I knew in high school hit a deer with his Nova that had the rear end jacked up. Slid up the hood, thru the windshield and into his lap. From the way he talked it was a pretty good race between him and the deer to get out of the car first.

Marcellus
10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Anybody else think this was another "Would you?" thread?

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
A guy I knew in high school hit a deer with his Nova that had the rear end jacked up. Slid up the hood, thru the windshield and into his lap. From the way he talked it was a pretty good race between him and the deer to get out of the car first.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QbSFxlfuf9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frosty
10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Anybody else think this was another "Would you?" thread?

http://i.qkme.me/35dx1r.jpg

mlyonsd
10-25-2012, 04:26 PM
The question shouldn't be have you, it should be how many?

bigbucks24
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
A mountain lion? Seriously? Where was this? And did you get to keep it to stuff and mount?

Coming out of the mountains near Morrison, CO. Killed the bastard. Cops showed up before we could get to it (wife came straight home to get the car checked). Cops were there before we got back. Wouldn't let us take it because it is a protected species. Except for a small pool of blood by its mouth, it looked in perfect condition. Cop said he had never seen one on the side of the road. Said they get him sometimes, but are tough bastards and even when badly hurt, walk off into the woods to die. I'll post a pic when i put it on the computer.

Bwana
10-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Only with a rifle, but I have come close with various vehicles.

stonedstooge
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
One of my biggest fears is that I'll hit a deer and it will crash through the windshield and I'll be stuck with a deer head (or worse deer balls) in my face.

Had a dude renting a house I owned near Squaw Creek up in NW Missouri hit a big buck and flipped the animal up on the hood and through the windshield of the car he was driving. His son was in the front seat with him and the buck kicked the shit out of him as his son tried to shove him off of his dad. He was in intensive care for almost 2 weeks and barely survived it. He had a severe brain injury and almost didn't make it. Changed his personality completely after he finally got well enough to go home

BigMeatballDave
10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Hit one between Cleveland and Belton on Holmes Rd. back in 95.

It was dark and I hit it flush at 60mph.

Had to replace the front clip.

Asshole bit a hole in my seat...

oldman
10-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I got one a few years back. I just had time enough to severe to the right a littleso all the damage was done to the left fender and drivers side. The cop had to pull open the door to get me out. Called my boss to tell him and the 1st thing he asked was "are you coming into work?". I was 3 miles into a 37 mile trip. Yeah, boss, it'll just be awhile because I'm walking.
Next day (in a rental car) one runs out behind me and the next guy got it. It wasn't 100 yards from where I got mine. Coming home that night, there was another one dead on the other side of the road about 20 yards from the morning kill site. Needless to say, I took a different way to the highway for a while.

bigbucks24
10-26-2012, 05:08 PM
When we were getting the car fixed from the mountain lion, body shop told us about all the different animals that had been hit by cars that they had repaired (deer, elk, cow, horse, fox, dog, turkey, bear, etc). Said the worst was an eagle. There was a hole in the windshield the size of a bowling ball. Said the eagle went through the windshield, hit the guy in the face and snapped his neck. That would suck.

KcMizzou
10-26-2012, 05:10 PM
I got lucky. The deer actually hit me. Ran smack into my driver's side fender, took the mirror off. Ended up with a small dent, one less mirror and a bunch of fur all down the side of the car.

Easy 6
10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Yep, i told it to make just one more smartass remark & it didnt listen.

The real answer is no, i havent... but i've come very close a few times & have sold a bunch of vehicles to people who have. It really is amazing the amount of damage they can do to a vehicle & God forbid them coming through the windshield.

I'm ALL for deer hunters, there are a bazillion of them around here, people fly in from russia, china, all over the world to hunt in this area & if they didnt it'd be a nightmare.

CLX
10-26-2012, 09:07 PM
If you live in the middle of the U.S. there is a good chance that you've hit at least one. In my extended family we've hit 12 in the past 14 years. In some states they have increased the number of tags they are putting out in an effort to thin the numbers. Seeing that flash of brown can cause some other type of brown to show up!

Lumpy
10-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I got lucky. The deer actually hit me. Ran smack into my driver's side fender, took the mirror off. Ended up with a small dent, one less mirror and a bunch of fur all down the side of the car.

I was on my way to work one day and that happened to a minivan in front of me. We both pulled off and the deer had broken 2 legs. It was dragging itself out of the street into a nearby field. It was difficult to watch that.

I called 911 and informed them of the accident and told them that the deer needed to be put down. It's a shame I didn't have my bow and there were too many witnesses. I felt sorry for poor thing. :(

KcMizzou
10-26-2012, 11:17 PM
I was on my way to work one day and that happened to a minivan in front of me. We both pulled off and the deer had broken 2 legs. It was dragging itself out of the street into a nearby field. It was difficult to watch that.

I called 911 and informed them of the accident and told them that the deer needed to be put down. It's a shame I didn't have my bow and there were too many witnesses. I felt sorry for poor thing. :(Yeah, I had my kids with me. The deer ran off... seemed fine, but I'm sure it wasn't. The younger boy was a lot more worried about the deer than the car.

(The first time he saw me clean fish, he decided to become a vegetarian... until the next time I ordered pizza)

Lumpy
10-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I had my kids with me. The deer ran off... seemed fine, but I'm sure it wasn't. The younger boy was a lot more worried about the deer than the car.

(The first time he saw me clean fish, he decided to become a vegetarian... until the next time I ordered pizza)

That last part made me LMAO.

Well, this deer was hauling ass and hit the driver door straight-on. I saw the damn thing before it was in the oncoming lanes and slowed way down. I was driving my Mustang and didn't want to catch deer shrapnel. LMAO

It was a pretty intense scene and totally messed up my morning, but I still eat meat. :thumb:

Chiefaholic
10-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I've been fortunate to not hit one...YET. This is why animal right activists need to just shut the **** up. Hunting them keeps the population under control. Thus, less getting hit on the highway and more food available for the remaining deer to thrive and stay healthy.

displacedinMN
10-27-2012, 08:00 AM
It actually hit me. Popped out of the ditch and hit the front driver side.

Had a 4 MONTH OLD DODGE DAKOTA. 2500 damage, could hardly tell but the front end was never really straight. Luckilly the insurance company took care of everything because I did not damage other property.
That was 8 years ago.

There are just too many. Deer hurds can double every two years.
Not enough people hunt. Those that do may not claim them from the butcher because it costs too much and the butcher gets stuck.

Then there are the animal rights people.

Deer should be given to the food network like beef. It could be mixed with other meat.
Could solve a lot of hunger problems.

just my opinion.

lewdog
10-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Hit a deer once on a desolate two lane highway with steep ditch sides. I didn't see it coming because the brush was so high. I tried to stop but it ran right into the side of my car!

Another time I decapitated a badger at 2 a.m. on the highway. Dude ran out and stood right up while I hit him square in the head with my car.

Another time I had a Golden Eagle fly off a fence post and he swept across the road, so close to my car that he hit his head off the hood of my car extremely hard. I stopped the car and went back to find it. It was in the ditch either unconscious or dead. His talon left a pretty nice scratch on my hood too.

displacedinMN
10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Ironically-in the MPLS paper today

Home
Local

1-in-80 chance of hitting a deer here

Updated: October 27, 2012 - 4:32 PM

hide

Deer, Cedar Creek Conservation Area, Anoka County Parks.

Photo: Tony Peterson,

Star Tribune photo galleries

view larger

comments
resize text increase font size
print
buy reprints

Minnesota drivers have a nearly 1-in-80 chance of hitting a deer in the next year, making this the eighth-mostlikely state for such collisions. Minnesota actually dropped from sixth to eighth in the last year, falling behind Wisconsin, which stayed at No. 7.

The statistics come from an analysis prepared by the State Farm insurance company using Federal Highway Administration data.

South Dakota moved from third to second on the list with 1-in-68 odds. Iowa dropped from No. 2 to No. 3 with 1-in-71.9 chances. West Virginia was No. 1 with odds of 1 in 40.

The insurer offered some tips to avoid deer:

•They travel in herds. If you see one deer, watch for more.

•Be extra vigilant from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., prime time for deer crashes.

•Pay attention to deer crossing signs. (because deer only cross there-maybe they should move them to more obvious areas so the deer would know to cross at a better space-sarcasm font needed)

•Use high-beam brights in deer areas.

•If a crash is inevitable, don't swerve. You might hit a moving car head-on, which would be worse in most cases.