PDA

View Full Version : Life Are you a Hipster?

Deberg_1990
10-25-2012, 09:15 AM
First of all, what is a hipster? I keep seeing this term thrown around, but what is it exactly? Would you describe yourself or a friend as one?

What defines a hipster in your opinion?

bench_pioli
10-25-2012, 09:15 AM
repost

DMAC
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Hipsters try too hard. And they're snobs.

KC Tattoo
10-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Back in the day Huey Lewis and the News told us it was hip to be square.

I don't know if that is a hipster though?

KC_Lee
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
If you can only enjoy things ironically you are a hipster and should stay 50 feet away from me.

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Almost everyone in line in this commercial is one

http://www.youtube.com/user/samsungmobileusa?v=ZKh68YfQYkE

Beverage of choice.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w461/ZombieClownZ/Stuff%20n%20Things/Bleach.png

Molitoth
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I typically associate them with skinny jeans and unmatching outfits, maybe even some bright neon colors.

L.A. Chieffan
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip to be Square, a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 09:45 AM
I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip to be Square, a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Was waiting for this.

Such an awesome movie though, can't be mad at quotes from it.

L.A. Chieffan
10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Was waiting for this.

Such an awesome movie though, can't be mad at quotes from it.

kaplin, Did you know that Ted Bundy's first dog, a collie, was named Lassie?

L.A. Chieffan
10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Beverage of choice.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w461/ZombieClownZ/Stuff%20n%20Things/Bleach.png

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY BLEACHY!?

BWillie
10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Ppl that wear those black glasses and want to save the environment

loochy
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I typically associate them with skinny jeans and unmatching outfits, maybe even some bright neon colors.

This.

Also, those big neon colored 80s sunglasses

and stupid converse all star shoes

and horn rimmed glasses

and hoodies

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 10:02 AM
They drink PBR because it's so ironic!

loochy
Also, hipsters think they know everything and are exceedingly politically liberal

KCUnited
Lol Huey, there were 100 guys doing it better than that sellout.

MIAdragon
LMFAO hell no/

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Lol Huey, there were 100 guys doing it better than that sellout.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I look like a nerd, but I'm really not. Get it? It's so cool. My conformity is actually non-conformity mocking your conformity.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I want a new drug. One that makes the Chiefs and Royals good.

loochy
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3oik5f.jpg

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
This.

Also, those big neon colored 80s sunglasses

and stupid converse all star shoes

and horn rimmed glasses

and hoodies

Hey now.

MIAdragon
10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey now.

If you bought them new in 1970, you're fine. Carry on/

loochy
10-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Hey now.

Wear them if you like but I can't stand them. I think they look horrendous.

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

BWillie meet LAChiefsfan and vice versa

okoye35chiefs
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.

typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

okoye35chiefs
10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
at least that is what the urban dictionary says it means...

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
BWillie meet LAChiefsfan and vice versa

My quote is longer and more artistic. I win. Does that make me a hipster?

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.

typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

I wear vintage and thrift store clothes, loose-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and have thick-rimmed glasses.

I'm in my LATE 30's, value independent thinking, counter-culture (when it comes to art, music, and movies), despise progressive politics, appreciate indie-rock, am creative AND intelligent, and like witty banter only if it's coming out of my mouth. I don't want to hear anyone else talk.

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
My quote is longer and more artistic. I win. Does that make me a hipster?

If you say it a little more smugly, yes.

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Ppl that wear those black glasses and want to save the environment

I wear black glasses while I cut down tress and dump used motor oil in the creek...

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
http://blogs.mcgill.ca/gradlife/files/2011/12/nerd-90s-hipster-2011-erkel.jpg

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM

I love the independent thinking. Yes, people who dress the same way and consume many of the same products based on how they are perceived, and who follow a certain political ideology, are most certainly independent thinkers.

okoye35chiefs
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream.

NewChief
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Intellectually, I'm a hipster in that I keep abreast of current cultural movements with my tastes running toward the avante-garde in literature, art, music, food, and architecture.

Fashion-wise, I'm a 40 year old soccer dad.

loochy
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Why is it that thinking politically liberal is always called "thinking independently?" It's not independent at all.

BWillie
I wear black glasses while I cut down tress and dump used motor oil in the creek...

You are okay in my book.

SNR

Beverage of choice.

"Woah what did you just do?"

"Just gave him teh ghey AIDS"

"Just by touching dicks"

Radar Chief
Wear them if you like but I can't stand them. I think they look horrendous.

Iíll admit Mrs. Radar has me dressing more retro but in my defense the Chuckís, cuffed Leviís, wallet chain and work shirts fit my gear head personality.

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Hipsters like Run DMC and A Tribe Called Quest, yet have no idea who the fk they really are.

Pasta Giant Meatball
"Woah what did you just do?"

"Just gave him teh ghey AIDS"

"Just by touching dicks"

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL

Canofbier
at least that is what the urban dictionary says it means...

You beat me to it, but for the benefit of everyone here, I'll post the entire insufferable entry. This is how hipsters see themselves, and why they are hated by almost everyone who isn't one.

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.

Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.

Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.

A conversation outside a hipster bar in downtown NYC:

Frat Boy #1: Dude, are you having any luck picking up chicks in there?

Frat Boy #2: Man...I haven't experienced anything like this before. These chicks are totally rejecting me and going for all these hipster guys in tight pants and shaggy hair instead.

Frat Boy #1: Maybe we should head back up to that bar in Murry Hill where you hooked up with that drunk b*tch from Alpha Sigma Phi last week?

Frat Boy #2: Yeah...I don't think we have what it takes to compete with these guys in here. These hipster chicks won't even give us the time of the day!

MIAdragon
10-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Iíll admit Mrs. Radar has me dressing more retro but in my defense the Chuckís, cuffed Leviís, wallet chain and work shirts fit my gear head personality.

You carry a switchblade too?

loochy
10-25-2012, 10:24 AM

Throw on some big black boots

Pushead2
10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
I have hipster-ish clothes and hang out at hipster bars in Williamsburg but I don't consider myself a hipster. I enjoy a good shave, haircut and smelling acceptable to society.

SNR
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Hipsters reject bald guys with goatees.

They are none of your concern.

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I have hipster-ish clothes and hang out at hipster bars in Williamsburg but I don't consider myself a hipster. I enjoy a good shave, haircut and smelling acceptable to society.

Of course you don't consider yourself a hipster, that would defeat being a hipster in the first place.

okoye35chiefs
A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is.

The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their casette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

Person 1: I met this really smart girl with a goofy haircut, but I think she has asperger's.

Person 2: She's probably just a hipster.

Radar Chief
You carry a switchblade too?

A switchblade comb for my buzz cut.

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Throw on some big black boots

When we get snow on the ground I will.

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
You beat me to it, but for the benefit of everyone here, I'll post the entire insufferable entry. This is how hipsters see themselves, and why they are hated by almost everyone who isn't one.

Spoiler tags on the giant wall of text please.

KCUnited
10-25-2012, 10:30 AM
PBR Tallboys - $6

blaise
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I think saying you're a hipster means you're no longer hipster. A Hipster would have you believe he developed his look and style in vacuum.

kaplin42
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
As much as I dislike hipsters, I must admit, their queen is pretty nice

http://soapombri.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/zooey-deschanel-flower-in-hair.jpg

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Hipsters reject bald guys with goatees.

They are none of your concern.

I think that is just women below 35.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
First of all, what is a hipster? I keep seeing this term thrown around, but what is it exactly? Would you describe yourself or a friend as one?

Ask Zach.

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is.

The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their casette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

Person 1: I met this really smart girl with a goofy haircut, but I think she has asperger's.

ROFL

BWillie
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Ask Zach.

Zing

ZepSinger
10-25-2012, 10:37 AM
"For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer."

Oh yeah, hipsters are sooo original.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dw7Gko4xnKU/TfKqZ8e4YDI/AAAAAAAAALc/OtMiWe75318/s1600/Def%252BLeppard%252B%252BHysteriacollection.jpg

wilas101
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking.

Guess I'm no hipster. I like blond, tanned, mostly naked dumb women with self-esteem issues.

blaise
10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Hipsters think those girls are attractive. If they say they don't it just means they're too scared to talk to one.

PhillyChiefFan
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Listen for key phrases such as:

"I had [insert band name here]'s LP on vinyl, long before they sold out and went mainstream."

and

"I don't want to conform to society, so I don't wear shoes...ever."

Bump
10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't care for hipsters much. They have this attitude about them that makes me not want to punch them, but a good slap in the face would work.

MOhillbilly
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
"For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer."

Oh yeah, hipsters are sooo original.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dw7Gko4xnKU/TfKqZ8e4YDI/AAAAAAAAALc/OtMiWe75318/s1600/Def%252BLeppard%252B%252BHysteriacollection.jpg

Danes favorite band.

loochy
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Danes favorite band.

I bet MO is a hipster. LMAO

loochy
10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't care for hipsters much. They have this attitude about them that makes me not want to punch them, but a good slap in the face would work.

I kinda expected that you'd be one because of your obsession with marijuana and your anti-establishmentness

Bump
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
I kinda expected that you'd be one because of your obsession with marijuana and your anti-establishmentness

heh, I'm a clean cut, working man kind of guy. No time for hipsters. Plus they were everywhere in Lawrence, KS and annoying as fuck.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Wasn't it originally derived from Jack Kerouac's book On The Road? I think they might be making a movie about it. It's an old book from the 50's or 60's. It's about Beatniks and Hipsters if I remember right. They called joints "bombers" and had poetry readings. They were supposed to be like revolutionary thinkers and shit.

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I lived in Lawrence for five years and left due to hipsters!!! Just made me wanted to smash my balls with a sledge hammer being around them!

ZepSinger
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
heh, I'm a clean cut, working man kind of guy. No time for hipsters. Plus they were everywhere in Lawrence, KS and annoying as ****.

Driving down Mass street in Lawrence = Hipsters on Parade.

NewChief
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Hipster bashing is so behind the times.

Graystoke
10-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I am not a Hipster...but I think my Son is.

Claynus
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
If you wear skinny jeans, start sucking dick.

Crush
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBgJ64uZLaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBgJ64uZLaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"If you want to look like you live in the '80s so badly, get rid of your $400 smartphone and get AIDS."

ROFLROFLROFL

Also, there are black hipsters?

loochy
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Also, there are black hipsters?

Setsuna

siberian khatru
10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Setsuna

ROFL

Probably.

loochy
10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
ROFL

Probably.

No seriously...i envision him wearing horn rimmed thick black glasses with no lenses, old thin too small t shirts, skinny jeans, and 80s looking nike high tops.

Chocolate Hog
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
If you want to see hipsters just go to Westport.

Radar Chief
10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GlkoQ4bUE5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiderhader
10-25-2012, 02:55 PM
I thought it was a new label fot the coffee shop dweebs.

WhiteWhale
10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
It's easy to define a hipster.

Hipsters have no identity. Their identity is the 'stuff' they like. Clothes, music, and movies. The kicker is that they only like things that YOU Have never heard of, and it's BECAUSE you've never heard of it. If it's well known, they're 'too cool' for it.

Hipsters come from all walks of life, but they're all annoying people who are obsessed with their own image.

WhiteWhale
10-25-2012, 04:44 PM

That too.

Hipsters LOVE those studies and they love them because it makes them feel smart when arguing with drunk idiots at a bar. They only go to college so they can feel smarter than their peers, but usually graduate with no actual money making skills.

All hipsters are narcissists. All of them.

Sorter
10-25-2012, 04:56 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc4hbcJDjX1ryzhko.gif

JoeyChuckles
10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Give me a porcelain skinned girl with dark and and thick glasses any day over a dumb tanned blonde.

Demonpenz
10-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Quicksilver is probably the closest thing here, but he is more grind/emo/goth core. It is hard to be a hipster with chiefs colors that is for sure.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Hipster Style Guide

Men's Hair: Either an experimental haircut with clean-shaved face OR a traditional haircut with unkempt facial-hair or curly-stash.

Men's Clothing: Tight tee-shirt or top-buttoned flannel, tight jeans w/ Chuck Taylors

Women's Hair: Either experimental or shoulder length traditional. Both cuts either completely dyed or highlighted with Primary or Secondary colors.

Women's Clothing: Simple top and jeans w/Chucks or black mid-calf boots or a loud patterned A-line dress w/ simple flats and cardigan.

Unisex Accessories: Thick rimmed glasses, Eyebrow piercing, Nose/lip piercing(women only)

Unisex Tattoos: Arm-tat barely sticking out of tight tee-shirt or full sleeve tat usually containing animals and/or album covers of bands you've never heard of.

Transport: 10-speed or retro Schwinn bicycle

Drink: Microbrew for first beer, PBR/Hamms/Schitzs after or cheap whiskey

rico
10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I wear vintage and thrift store clothes, loose-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and have thick-rimmed glasses.

I'm in my LATE 30's, value independent thinking, counter-culture (when it comes to art, music, and movies), despise progressive politics, appreciate indie-rock, am creative AND intelligent, and like witty banter only if it's coming out of my mouth. I don't want to hear anyone else talk.

Yep! HIPSTER!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Last weekend I went to a parade to watch my daughter march with the high school band. There was a young couple there... low to mid 20's. Both of them had on skinny jeans made of something other than denim, fashionable shoes... they were like boots on the foot area but not tall like boots, both had a pinstripe button up on and a jacket that matched their shoe/boot things and had some undefined snaps or something that didn't make sense location-wise. Both had perfect hair. Hers... long and straight in a pony tail, jet black. His... parted perfectly on the left side and kind of poofy on the right. He had a perfectly shaped 5 o'clock shadow and both wore black rimmed, black lense sunglasses. Both had perfect skin and were drinking Starbucks.

Were they hipsters or just douchebags?

NewChief
10-25-2012, 05:19 PM
When fat old bald dudes on a Chiefs message board are discussing hipsters... you know the whole hipster thing has jumped the shark.

rico
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Last weekend I went to a parade to watch my daughter march with the high school band. There was a young couple there... low to mid 20's. Both of them had on skinny jeans made of something other than denim, fashionable shoes... they were like boots on the foot area but not tall like boots, both had a pinstripe button up on and a jacket that matched their shoe/boot things and had some undefined snaps or something that didn't make sense location-wise. Both had perfect hair. Hers... long and straight in a pony tail, jet black. His... parted perfectly on the left side and kind of poofy on the right. He had a perfectly shaped 5 o'clock shadow and both wore black rimmed, black lense sunglasses. Both had perfect skin and were drinking Starbucks.

Both. Hipsters are douche-canoes.

Funny, before I finished reading this, I was preparing to ask you if they were carrying around Starbucks.

rico
10-25-2012, 05:23 PM
When fat old bald dudes on a Chiefs message board are discussing hipsters... you know the whole hipster thing has jumped the shark.

**** I sure hope so. And if they do jump the shark, I hope they do so Bob Beamon style because I would sure love to have my brother back. Man do I ever despise the hipster movement.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Funny, before I finished reading this, I was preparing to ask you if they were carrying around Starbucks.

I will say they seemed like nice people. I over-heard some of their conversation with "parental figures or such" and both were gracious and polite. They just didn't look like they were from around here.

Pushead2
10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Of course you don't consider yourself a hipster, that would defeat being a hipster in the first place.

Except if I was one I would gladly admit it but I'm pretty sure hipsters aren't into the following:

Playing hockey
my brand new Acura
Gillette Fusion Razor
Soap
Deordorant
Fine Beers that aren't Tecate, PBR, Rolling Rock etc...
Women that don't look like they're homeless or like a boy
Air Jordan sneaker collection

NewChief
10-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Real hipsters don't drink Starbucks.

They drink fair trade, shade grown beans, locally-roasted by their neighbor in his garage roasterie.

You people clearly know nothing about hipsters. :evil:

Pushead2
10-25-2012, 05:25 PM

They drink fair trade beans, locally-roasted by their neighbor in his garage roasterie.

:clap:

stevieray
meh. hipsters wish they were me.

lil bit o elvis, dean and mcqueen

Dr. Facebook Fever

I'm not really fat... I just have a bit of a belly.

:(

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
meh. hipsters wish they were me.

Shit... everyone wishes they were you.

stevieray
10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Shit... everyone wishes they were you.
and ironically i wish i were a jock like you!

circle of cool, my friend.

NewChief
10-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Oh. And the coffee is generally sweetened with heirloom honey from the community hive situated on the nearby abandoned lot that their neighborhood has turned into an urban garden.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
and ironically i wish i were a jock like you!

circle of cool, my friend.

I feel sarcasm. You're a friend anyway Stevie.

NewChief
10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Must watch more Portlandia.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:30 PM

If you didn't talk to them, they were hipsters.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:31 PM

They drink fair trade, shade grown beans, locally-roasted by their neighbor in his garage roasterie.

I know I don't. I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. Often the shirts have a skull or some oil company on them... and I often wear a ball cap....... forward. I know nothing about fashion.

stevieray
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I feel sarcasm. You're a friend anyway Stevie.
oh yeah? check your rep!!!

:harumph:

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
If you didn't talk to them, they were hipsters.

I didn't. I doubted we had much in common besides being at the same parade.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Must watch more Portlandia.

I like Fred Armisen and Sleater-Kinney, but that show SUCKS!

I did enjoy one small skit where Fred had to break out of the cyber world and remember what it was like to go outside.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
oh yeah? check your rep!!!

:harumph:

I saw it. Still could be sarcasm lol.

It's all good man.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I didn't. I doubted we had much in common besides being at the same parade.

You probably all hate Taylor Swift. However, they would probably berate you for being negative about an artist.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
You probably all hate Taylor Swift. However, they would probably berate you for being negative about an artist.

I like 3 of her songs. I'm such a loser.

stevieray
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
I saw it. Still could be sarcasm lol.

It's all good man.

don't be jaded bro. it doesn't fit...besides, I gave the rep first!

rico

Lol, that was good. :)

SPATCH
I like Fred Armisen and Sleater-Kinney, but that show SUCKS!

I did enjoy one small skit where Fred had to break out of the cyber world and remember what it was like to go outside.

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/sp/image/1343/19/1343190323454.gif

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:37 PM
don't be jaded bro. it doesn't fit.

Not jaded man. Unless you want to talk about women. Bitches....

Donger
10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, I think I am.

Woodchuck
10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I guess I don't know what a hipster is anymore. What I do know is that Emo is not PUNK.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
I know I don't. I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. Often the shirts have a skull or some oil company on them... and I often wear a ball cap....... forward. I know nothing about fashion.

If you hadn't stretched the shit out of those Oil shirts, they'd fetch top dollar as an ironic statement from these kids.

If they are animal skull shirts, they may make a good stencil for they're next tattoo.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes, I think I am.

Figures. Want to hang out? We could talk about all of our common interests.

Hi I'm DJF

Hi I'm Donger

(weird pause)

OK man nice to meet you.

Later.

Donger
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Figures. Want to hang out? We could talk about all of our common interests.

Hi I'm DJF

Hi I'm Donger

(weird pause)

OK man nice to meet you.

Later.

I don't believe that we've ever met.

Hello. I'm Donger.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
If you hadn't stretched the shit out of those Oil shirts, they'd fetch top dollar as an ironic statement from these kids.

If they are animal skull shirts, they may make a good stencil for they're next tattoo.

My belly isn't that impressive to stretch things.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM

Hello. I'm Donger.

Hi Donger. You don't look like the guy in Sixteen Candles.

(whistles and looks around)

OK nice to meet you finally. Try the veal.

KChiefer
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I like 3 of her songs. I'm such a loser.

meh, to each they're own. While painting apts with a friend he was listening to TS while I was listening to Man Man. That makes me a hipster, but makes him a...not cool.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
meh, to each they're own. While painting apts with a friend he was listening to TS while I was listening to Man Man. That makes me a hipster, but makes him a...not cool.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a fan. If I hear a song I think makes it's point I can appreciate it. She's done that 3 times out of 150 chances.

Donger
10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi Donger. You don't look like the guy in Sixteen Candles.

(whistles and looks around)

OK nice to meet you finally. Try the veal.

Are you beer me?

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Are you beer me?

No. But I used to be.

Donger
10-25-2012, 05:54 PM
No. But I used to be.

Then I retract my previous erroneous welcome.

Simply Red
10-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Yes, An individual who's non mainstream, yet spearheads style in all facets and walks of life.

"Yes that's me. *breath spays 'binaca' "

Simply Red
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Hello. I'm Donger.

Hai!

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Then I retract my previous erroneous welcome.

I thought so. That's more like it.

Lumpy
10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Hipster Style Guide

Women's Hair: Either experimental or shoulder length traditional. Both cuts either completely dyed or highlighted with Primary or Secondary colors.

Women's Clothing: Simple top and jeans w/ black mid-calf boots.

:facepalm: FML

My hair is long and layered though. Dark brown w/ nutmeg highlights. The clothes are spot-on.

bowener
10-26-2012, 12:53 AM
yes

PhatAzzCrennel
10-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Hipsters prefer to watch little league football. The NFL is too mainstream

KChiefer
10-26-2012, 02:08 AM

My hair is long and layered though. Dark brown w/ nutmeg highlights. The clothes are spot-on.

How u doin'.? ;)

Nutmeg's not a pri/sec color IMO, so you're in the clear. Congrats :thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
10-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Chiefsplanet: Helping DeBerg with his teenage children since 2004.

htismaqe
10-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Every yuppy chick at the mall is wearing a simple shirt with jeans and black or neutral boots.

I call bullshit.

This chick is NOT a hipster:

http://www.fansshare.com/celebrity/photos/800_d-kim-kardashian-black-white-shirt-jeans-tall-white-boots-kim-kardashian-rock-republic-hosts-spring-collection-party-1515940415.jpg

htismaqe
10-26-2012, 05:47 AM
How u doin'.? ;)

Nutmeg isn't a color at all!

LMAO

AussieChiefsFan
10-26-2012, 05:48 AM
More annoying?

Swagfa.gs or Hipsters

Mr. Flopnuts
10-26-2012, 05:55 AM

LMAO

ROFL The word nutmeg, in relation to a color, is soooooo hipster. ;)

Lumpy
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
How u doin'.? ;)

Well, the color is very subtle. I'll go w/ what you said. :)

Every yuppy chick at the mall is wearing a simple shirt with jeans and black or neutral boots.

I call bullshit.

This chick is NOT a hipster:

Did you just call me a yuppy? :spock:

I have the same boots... only in black. :facepalm:

LMAO

Yes it is. It said so on the box. :D

ROFL The word nutmeg, in relation to a color, is soooooo hipster. ;)

LMAO

Strongside
10-26-2012, 08:05 AM
If you want to know what hipsters look like: Go into Czar Bar on any given Saturday night. Crossroads and first Fridays are a great way to spot these creatures as well. I work, creatively, in advertising...so, for better or worse, I try to keep my fashion sense fairly trendy...which means I dress similar to hipsters. I do, however, take showers regularly and am not supported by my parents financially. Nor do I drink PBR. These are hipster staples. So, to answer your question...no.

Frazod
10-26-2012, 08:23 AM
When I think hipster, I think Wickedson. So much for the intelligence and witty banter.

Saul Good
10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
I would consider myself to be a hipster, yes.

NewChief
10-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I do drink PBR, but I've been drinking it way before hipsters started drinking it. I suppose that makes me hipper than hipsters.

I actually started with Old Style as my go to beer, but it's become harder to find than PBR.

okoye35chiefs
10-26-2012, 09:07 AM
“Q. How many hipsters does it take to flush a toilet?

A. You can’t touch that toilet, it’s art.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lumpy
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
ďQ. How many hipsters does it take to flush a toilet?

A. 0 - Hipsters only use toilets that have flush sensors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYP :)

lcarus
10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I always thought of hipsters as people who wear snow hats in the fucking summer.

Strongside
10-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I do drink PBR, but I've been drinking it way before hipsters started drinking it. I suppose that makes me hipper than hipsters.

I actually started with Old Style as my go to beer, but it's become harder to find than PBR.

You do realize that you just quoted hipster jargon to a tee, right?

"I was listening to indie music before it was cool."
"I was wearing 20's boots and cuffing my jeans before it was cool."
"I was posting on Chiefs planet before it was cool."

Chiefs=Good
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Are they that common all over America? Theyre fucking everywhere here is Australia..

kaplin42
10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Are they that common all over America? Theyre ****ing everywhere here is Australia..

It's like a plague on humanity.

Chiefs=Good
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
It's like a plague on humanity.

I say nuke the world and start over.. like a bond film. Perhaps thats how the world ends later this year? I have heard the aztecs hated hipsters.

NewChief
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

OMG. REally? I didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

PunkinDrublic
10-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I resent hoodies being associated with being a hipster. They are comfortable and I enjoy wearing them.

lcarus
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I resent hoodies being associated with being a hipster. They are comfortable and I enjoy wearing them.

Yeah I have no problem with hoodies.

NewChief
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM

But you probably don't wear hoodies that are 3 sizes too small and probably made for a female.

lcarus
10-26-2012, 11:39 AM
But you probably don't wear hoodies that are 3 sizes too small and probably made for a female.

and when it's 115 degrees outside. That's what I really hate. Guys who wear those South Park hats in summer. Isn't it hot enough with their sheepdog hairstyle by itself?

KCUnited
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Hoodies shouldn't be on there at all. My hoodie collection goes back to post-Jackson Pollock 60's.

htismaqe
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
and when it's 115 degrees outside. That's what I really hate. Guys who wear those South Park hats in summer. Isn't it hot enough with their sheepdog hairstyle by itself?

Sheepdog hair is NOT hipster. Fuck off!

lcarus
10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Sheepdog hair is NOT hipster. Fuck off!

Not alone it's not. With a snow hat on in the summer it is.

PunkinDrublic
10-26-2012, 06:13 PM
The fucking nauticle tattoos. Being tatted up doesn't have the same effect as it used to, so you see a lot of these hipster types getting old school sailor tats to try to make themselves look more authentic.

Saul Good
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM

I'm currently posting on Chiefs Planet hoping that it someday becomes cool.

NewChief
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm currently posting on Chiefs Planet hoping that it someday becomes cool.

Don't worry. I'm years ahead of the hipsters, and I've been slowly cultivating the CP coolness factor for years. You're in as an early adopter, bro.

RJ
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
All of which begs the question.....What is hip?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VUFxj59Fa9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bump
10-26-2012, 11:46 PM
I hate hipsters. Their smug faces, vegan diet, tiny feet & sawdust bedding. No wait, hamsters. I hate hamsters.

NJChiefsFan
10-27-2012, 01:18 AM
OMG. REally? I didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's too bad you didn't point that out in your original post.

Chiefs=Good
10-27-2012, 01:47 AM
I hate hipsters. Their smug faces, vegan diet, tiny feet & sawdust bedding. No wait, hamsters. I hate hamsters.

LMAO

NewChief
10-27-2012, 07:10 AM
It's too bad you didn't point that out in your original post.

Always be on the alert for irony when dealing with hipsters.

Newchief <------- ironic since 1992.

Al Bundy
10-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Not really.. they wear dull colors.