PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mike Holmgren

Hoover
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Holmgren told the media today that he might be interested in coaching again. Said that he missed being on the sideline. Now I think Mike sucks as a GM, but its hard to argue his success as a head coach.

I have long thought that if we draft a QB #1 over all, we need to have an offensive coach to help guide and mold him. Hard to argue against Holmgren wouldn't be a good fit in that respect.

I also think that his experience as a GM might help foster mutual respect between he and Pioli (if he is retained). Just a thought.

Flame away.

Yes Dane, I know, I'm a fucking idiot.

Hoover
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Forgot link to article.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20679921/would-mike-holmgren-return-to-coaching

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Holmgren told the media today that he might be interested in coaching again. Said that he missed being on the sideline. Now I think Mike sucks as a GM, but its hard to argue his success as a head coach.

I have long thought that if we draft a QB #1 over all, we need to have an offensive coach to help guide and mold him. Hard to argue against Holmgren wouldn't be a good fit in that respect.

I also think that his experience as a GM might help foster mutual respect between he and Pioli (if he is retained). Just a thought.

Flame away.

Yes Dane, I know, I'm a ****ing idiot.

Except in Seattle.

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I've thought about Holmgren a lot and today is the first day I've really been totally intrigued by him due to him saying he doesn't want GM duties. If he just wants to be HC, he would be a excellent get IMO.

His best coaching jobs were when he didn't have GM duties.

Mr. Laz
10-25-2012, 11:14 AM
you would hope that Holmgren + Geno Smith = success

even if it was short term to develop a young QB and get the offense going

i dunno

the Talking Can
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
still not thrilled with retreads...but I'd rather him than Cowher

pick up Rivera for DC once he's shit canned...

BigCatDaddy
10-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Inb4 retread SB winning coaches never win one with another team.

(They just take a 2nd team back to get screwed by the refs)

Hoover
10-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Except in Seattle.
Except Holmgren was 86 and 74 in Seattle, won the division five times in 10 years.

Hoover
10-25-2012, 11:22 AM
and took them to a Super Bowl.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Except Holmgren was 86 and 74 in Seattle, won the division five times in 10 years.

Oh, well forget it then lol. I didn't realize he coached there that long... wow.

Dr. Facebook Fever
and took them to a Super Bowl.

Yeah I already gave you the win, heh.

malachi47000
Posted this idea in another thread

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=9047810&postcount=55

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
There is no denying the man can coach football. Sure 64 is starting to get long in the tooth but still young enough to still coach effectively.

For the Chiefs fan base he might be what we need as he would lessen Pioli's power some.

Pestilence
10-25-2012, 11:24 AM

This.

Hoover
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I would be all about a Holmgren/Rivera duo in KC.

theelusiveeightrop
10-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Who is the KC GM who hires Holmgren?

King_Chief_Fan
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Flame away.

Yes Dane, I know, I'm a ****ing idiot.

no, no no....after being in Cleveland as GM the stupids have rubbed off on him and we already have some of that

thebrad84
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I also think that his experience as a GM might help foster mutual respect between he and Pioli (if he is retained). Just a thought..

Ehh, the problem is that I don't think a coach like Holmgren would put up with the shit that Pioli pulls. Plus, I can't imagine Holmgren would look at the talent (or lack there of) that Pioli has managed to draft in four years and get excited about that. If Pioli is retained, just about the only coach we will be able to hire is some no-name or huge-reach that will likely flop whether he has it or not simply because he has to operate under Fatoli.

Mr. Laz
10-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Who is the KC GM who hires Holmgren?
everyone better be prepared to cry because i think Pioli gets another year

Mr. Laz
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Ehh, the problem is that I don't think a coach like Holmgren would put up with the shit that Pioli pulls. Plus, I can't imagine Holmgren would look at the talent (or lack there of) that Pioli has managed to draft in four years and get excited about that. If Pioli is retained, just about the only coach we will be able to hire is some no-name or huge-reach that will likely flop whether he has it or not simply because he has to operate under Fatoli.
we have no idea whether Pioli 'pulls any shit' or not ... none.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Great coach. Just don't give him more control than a HC requires.

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
That is why I said as just head coach as well. Pioli is going to have to give a little to bring in a successful established coach. Outside of a Josh McDaniel, your looking at an assistant if I were to guess. Remember Fisher wasn't going to come because he knew he wouldn't be able to work with Pioli.

BoneKrusher
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
if the Chiefs are gonna draft their QB of the future, Holmgren would be a great Choice.

theelusiveeightrop
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Kleenex ordered.

BoneKrusher
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Kleenex ordered.

same here
letting Cassel go dont mean shit if this fucktard stays.

Rausch
10-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Only if we don't do our part...

jspchief
10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
everyone better be prepared to cry because i think Pioli gets another yearLame duck GM? It would be his last contract year.

Hoover
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
thank you

the only thing worse than the media echo chamber is the echo chamber Chiefs fans live in

Hoover
10-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Lame duck GM? It would be his last contract year.
he's going to get extended a couple of years IMO.

BossChief
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM

I guess I mostly agree with this...I just would worry that he would want to do with the defense because I honestly believe this group of defensive players has the makings of an elite unit if used correctly and Holmgren would probably want a 4-3

htismaqe
10-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Yeah, because the multiple reports from varied, independent sources just can't be true. There's no chance.

DTLB58
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
if the Chiefs are gonna draft their QB of the future, Holmgren would be a great Choice.

Yep, it's gonna have to be someone different than this coaching staff or drafting a QB#1 isn't going to change a darn thing.

ChiefMojo
10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
In reality Holmgren is a pipe dream as long as we have Pioli!

Brainiac
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I know a candy wrapper that begs to differ.

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
If Holmgren is hired (which I highly doubt), I'm on the opinion that Matt Barkley would be a better fit for his West Coast offense.

If Pioli isn't fired, I now expect him to go hard after Bill O'Brien, who's done an incredible job at Penn State and of course, has ties to the "Tree".

thebrad84
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM

You serious? There has been multiple stories that indicates that is a the very reason the Chiefs are in the situation they are with Pioli, that he is some sort of control freak/micro-manager that stresses about pretty much anything that has to do with his image. No way someone like Holmgren would want to be any part of that if he were to try to make another run before retiring from the game.

Chocolate Hog
10-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Holmgren is too old.

bricks
10-25-2012, 01:27 PM
That is why I said as just head coach as well. Pioli is going to have to give a little to bring in a successful established coach. Outside of a Josh McDaniel, your looking at an assistant if I were to guess. Remember Fisher wasn't going to come because he knew he wouldn't be able to work with Pioli.

Give a little?

Well, he would definately have to think outside of the box to hire a guy like Holmgren. Giving the way he is operating now by hiring mostly ex-patriot guys, I can't see the possibility of him hiring Holmgren.

dannybcaitlyn
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Clark would be a dumb a** for keeping Pioli, if were going to have a new coach next year. This would be his third coach in his 5 year contract. FAIlL!!

whoman69
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Coaching is a younger man's game. To have the energy to take a franchise and mold it how you want it takes energy. I don't believe Holmgren has the energy to do so. No coach has ever won the Super Bowl with different teams. Holmgren is one of a small handful who have brought different teams. I don't see lightning striking thrice.

TEX
10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Holmgren is too old.

I don't know about that - there's a good old coach who works for the Giants who's pretty darn good. I'd take Holmgren in a second.

Fat Elvis
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I would be all about a Holmgren/Rivera duo in KC.

Bring in Russ Ball as GM....

BigCatDaddy
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know about that - there's a good old coach who works for the Giants who's pretty darn good. I'd take Holmgren in a second.

The best coach the Chiefs have had in the last 15 years was also >65. He's damn sure the only one that understood the importance of a QB.

DaneMcCloud
Bring in Russ Ball as GM....

Ball has never been a General Manager and is more suited as a Team President.

He's not a player personnel guy.

DaneMcCloud

While I tend to agree, Coughlin never lost his passion to coach.

Holmgren did.

Chocolate Hog
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
While I tend to agree, Coughlin never lost his passion to coach.

Holmgren did.

He was also 58 when he was hired. Hiring a 64 year old to go with a QB who will take 2-3 years to be really good doesn't seem like a good idea.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
you would hope that Holmgren + Geno Smith = success

even if it was short term to develop a young QB and get the offense going

i dunno

:drool::drool::drool:wankitwankitwankit....

R8RFAN
10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Now you are gonna get Holmgren AND Geno Smith.... Ahh fuck it, if you are gonna dream big then dream big man LMAO

petegz28
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Except in Seattle.

You mean when he went to a Super Bowl with Seattle?