PDA

View Full Version : Poop Driving vehicle without plates

KCrockaholic
10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm about to go pick up a car from a private seller. Therefore I won't be getting temporary plates obviously. I'll have the title, and I'll be printing off my proof of insurance within moments. I'll also have a Bill of Sale from the seller.

The DMV is closed Saturday and Sunday, which means I won't be able to get it registered until Monday.

But here's my question. In Kansas what are the laws regarding driving without plates either on the way home from a private seller, and is there a maximum number of days one could go without plates? In my case, I have things I need to do this weekend, and this will be my only car. Just wondering if I could get away with 2 days of driving without plates until the DMV is open.

Bump
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
probably not

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Insurance is more important IMO.

Usually if you get that plates before court the prosecutor will drop charges
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Just put a piece of paper taped in the back window

N0P-L8S

Rain Man
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Probably not.

When I bought the apricot BMW, I picked it up in Hays, Kansas, from a guy who lived in eastern Kansas. I couldn't get plates before I had the car, and the guy needed his plates back, and inexplicably there's no way to get a transit tag or whatever if you're buying it from an individual. I can't believe there's no system for that.

Anyway, I ended up talking to a state patrolman in Kansas asking for advice, because it seemed stupid to tow the thing and then have to fly home. He couldn't think of a way to do it, and we finally agreed that if I got a ticket, I would let the patrolman know that I had talked to this guy, and he would get the ticket waived. So if you're in transit, maybe you could do that, but if you're driving locally I doubt that they'll do that.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Just put a piece of paper taped in the back window

N0P-L8S

Yeah don't listen to this guy.

Switched or bogus plates or bogus thirty day tags are worse than no plates.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pestilence
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Go rent a car for the two days if you have that much driving around to do.

Dunit35
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
If you were in Oklahoma and I stopped you, as long as you showed me the bill of sale and insurance, I'd let you go.

bevischief
I drove a truck thru 3 states and was never stop.

KCrockaholic
I've heard that in Wisconsin you have a 3 day grace period in which you can drive your vehicle without plates. I just wasn't sure if Kansas had something similar.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
If you were in Oklahoma and I stopped you, as long as you showed me the bill of sale and insurance, I'd let you go.

Most non assholes would do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Fuck. I drove one in MO for days before I got tags. I had insurance, and a bill of sale, and frankly I see lots of people do it. Had no problems at all.

Dunit35
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Most non assholes would do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would still make contact, run it by VIN, make sure its not stolen.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-26-2012, 05:45 PM

Reasonable. I actually had a great fucking encounter with an Oklahoma State Patrolman in Miami, OK about a week ago. Those guys rock!

Bump
10-26-2012, 05:47 PM

ya but there are some cops who would drag him out of his car, taze him, poop on his face and take him to jail.

Dunit35
10-26-2012, 05:49 PM
ya but there are some cops who would drag him out of his car, taze him, poop on his face and take him to jail.

Well yeah, I would run the VIN after doing all that.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Totally understandable.
Posted via Mobile Device

journeyscarab
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Isn't that SOP? LOL!

KCrockaholic
10-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Well Sunday I'm not going anywhere. But Saturday is the busy day. I need to be able to get through A. The way home (shouldn't be a big deal). B. A little bit of Saturday driving. Then C. Monday morning on the way to the DMV (again, shouldn't be a big deal). My driving record is clean, and I don't want some douchebag cop to ruin it.

MIAdragon
10-26-2012, 05:59 PM

good man :thumb:

MIAdragon
10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Well Sunday I'm not going anywhere. But Saturday is the busy day. I need to be able to get through A. The way home (shouldn't be a big deal). B. A little bit of Saturday driving. Then C. Monday morning on the way to the DMV (again, shouldn't be a big deal). My driving record is clean, and I don't want some douchebag cop to ruin it.

Dont push your luck on Sat. Drive it home, park it, then drive to the DMV Monday.

JASONSAUTO
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Again, insurance is a MUST. you should be ok even if you get a ticket. get plates Monday and I would bet the prosecutor would drop it.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Dont push your luck on Sat. Drive it home, park it, then drive to the DMV Monday.

That's what I'm thinking. I should be able to get someone to let me borrow a car.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
if you have a license,insurance,bill of sale and you explain it's just a weekend thing you should be alright.

even if you do get a ticket you can take all of the above AND the plate you are going to get to court and explain what happened and the judge should dismiss it.

KCrockaholic
10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
if you have license,insurance,bill of sale and you explain it's just a weekend thing you should be alright.

even if you get a ticket you can take all of the above AND the plate you are going to get to court and explain what happened and the judge should dismiss it.

You would think it would be as simple as this.

Well I'm off to pick up the car. If anybody knows anything about some sort of 1 day grace thing that would be cool. Thanks everyone.

Chiefaholic
10-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Proof of insurance and a BOS will get you off the hook with the majority of law enforcement. Just don't press your luck with excess driving. I drove mine home for the weekend, then took it for an inspection and plates.

Baconeater
10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Guess I don't know about KS, but in NE you have 30 days from the date of purchase to get your plates. I'll carry the insurance card from my old vehicle until my agent can get me a new one, and the signed and dated title, and I've never had any issues. Best not to drive drunk or with a shipment of drugs in your car in the meantime though.

Dayze
10-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Insurance is more important IMO.

Usually if you get that plates before court the prosecutor will drop charges
Posted via Mobile Device

That. Happened on my motorcycle. Got a ticket, went to the prosecutors office and was out in ten minutes. No fine etc.

Fire Me Boy!
10-27-2012, 07:09 AM
In Missouri (at least a couple years ago), you had the right to drive the vehicle from place of purchase to your home and from home to the license bureau without plates. Just keep the bill of sale and insurance with you.

crazycoffey
10-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Same here in my part of Missouri. You're still taking a chance. If you do get stoppled just explain yourself. If you still get a ticket, go before the judge and explain yourself too. He might let you off.. I drove my bike one day without plates and didn't get stopped. Just vet it home and parked in your driveway. Don't drive it until Monday and get your plates.

Dave Lane
10-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Bring a plate for another car use it till you can get to the DMV.

aturnis
10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Piece of paper in back Window with "In Transit".

Radar Chief
10-27-2012, 09:14 AM
I've heard that in Wisconsin you have a 3 day grace period in which you can drive your vehicle without plates. I just wasn't sure if Kansas had something similar.

Don't know about a 3 day grace period but I do know you have the right to drive your purchase home.
If you're really worried about it drive it straight to a car dealership and buy a 30 day tag, but I wouldn't even waste the money, just drive it home. As long as you have the signed and notarised title and proof of insurance you shouldn't have any problems.

CoMoChief
10-27-2012, 09:15 AM
The cop probably won't care as long as you have the title/insurance.

Of course unless he's a fucking asshole and needs revenue quota.

I got pulled over because literally I didn't have any scotch tape to tape my temp tags on my car. I had just gotten the damn thing...went only 3 blocks to a walgreens to get tape, got pulled over for not having plates.

After about 30min of bullshit with the cop I was let go after telling him I was on my way to buy tape so I could tape the damn thing.

And cops wonder why people hate them. It's stupid shit like that. He wasted my god damn time that really only should have taken 15min.

Radar Chief
10-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Bring a plate for another car use it till you can get to the DMV.

Bad plan. Cop runs the tag numbers and finds it belongs to another vehicle he's going to consider it stolen.

Radar Chief
10-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Piece of paper in back Window with "In Transit".

I knew a guy that drove around here for a month with a piece of cardboard in place of the tag that said "tag applied for".

crazycoffey
10-27-2012, 09:28 AM
I knew a guy that drove around here for a month with a piece of cardboard in place of the tag that said "tag applied for".

And people wonder why cops bust their balls asking questions and shit to figure out if they are just going to walgreens to get tape or if they have been driving around like this guy for a month. Or even worse sometimes.

A Salt Weapon
10-27-2012, 09:42 AM
It's weird to me how the lower 48 does that. First used car I bought down south the guy started taking the plates off and I said "Woah, what the fuck are you doing?" I called CO dmv and they told me it's correct. Just baffled me. Up here, plates stay with the vehicle.

It makes sense though since I've even had a vehicle I sold up here that the buyer never switched to his name and I got a letter stating I owed XX amount in parking fees. You just tell them you sold the car and they leave you alone. They go after the new owner I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device