PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Al Saunders

mcan
10-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Go get him. Romeo needs to be gone tomorrow morning. This team has been dog sh!t since Vermeil left, and has reaped the just desserts of screwing over Saunders. I get that Carl wanted to go back to Martyball and Herm seemed like the closest thing. And I get that Clark wanted to mimic the Patriots and turn this franchise around. But ultimately, having a 'philosophy' isn't going to win or lose games. You need coaches capable of making players better and putting them in perfect position to attack the other team, and players capable of executing that vision. Much like a film. A movie needs a great director AND fantastic actors, all at the top of their game if it is to be truly great. This team truly has some great actors. They need director.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I'd love to have that man back.

fire_egoli
10-28-2012, 11:15 PM
good thread idea

BigMeatballDave
10-28-2012, 11:16 PM
NO

Bump
10-28-2012, 11:16 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/c5reI.gif

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:17 PM
good thread idea

that's my line you FUCK! FUCK YOU!

fire_egoli
10-28-2012, 11:17 PM
where is al these days wash? what has he done lately?

ClevelandBronco
10-28-2012, 11:19 PM
that's my line you ****! **** YOU!

Crown he ass!

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Crown he ass!

crown they ass!

Count Zarth
10-28-2012, 11:21 PM
and TrINT Green for OC

ClevelandBronco
10-28-2012, 11:21 PM
crown they ass!

crown yo ass!

Chiefspants
10-28-2012, 11:22 PM
and TrINT Green for OC

Dicky for owner, Greg for director of pro personel.

cdcox
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Matt Cassel running Saunders offense would be like Jimmy Hendrix singing the Barber of Seville.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!

mcan
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM

Since being sent away from here he has been around the league a bit..Ever really getting to control anything. Installed his offense in Washington and was forced to use crap qbs. Jason Campbell types. Had some success with Todd Collins (because Todd actually knew the offense) but was limited because Todd just wasn't any good. Recently the Raiders have made him an offensive consultant, but he's not actually running the show. You see shades of his offense (pulling guards and the use of the deep middle of the field) but he just isn't getting the chance to run the show. I have no doubt that if he ever was, the team would be the better for it.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Matt Cassel running Saunders offense would be like Jimmy Hendrix singing the Barber of Seville.

I'm very certain Al would tell Cassel to get lost or get Priest some nachos or something.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
crown yo ass!

I can't crown my ass, but crown they broncos ass.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:29 PM

You'd be amazed at how much hot trim Sanders pulls in real life.

cdcox
10-28-2012, 11:30 PM
We need a clean flush. New QB, HC and GM all together. If you bring in a new HC and a new QB, you are committing to Pioli for another 2 to 3 years. Don't do this piecemeal.

ClevelandBronco
10-28-2012, 11:31 PM
http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6417685/il_fullxfull.304879392.jpg

mcan
10-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Matt would certainly not be my first choice to run Saunders' scheme. But he WOULD be better with Al at the helm than he was with Weiss. Mostly though, Charles would be a beast. Five carries... What a joke. Priest was savvy and strong, but not anywhere as gifted of a runner as Charles. It sickens me how poorly coached this offensive line is. There was a one play yesterday where all four of the Raiders down linemen got into the backfield nearly untouched. Unacceptable. This is all about coaching. I believe Saunders would he a fantastic option.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Matt would certainly not be my first choice to run Saunders' scheme. But he WOULD be better with Al at the helm than he was with Weiss. Mostly though, Charles would be a beast. Five carries... What a joke. Priest was savvy and strong, but not anywhere as gifted of a runner as Charles. It sickens me how poorly coached this offensive line is. There was a one play yesterday where all four of the Raiders down linemen got into the backfield nearly untouched. Unacceptable. This is all about coaching. I believe Saunders would he a fantastic option.

I totally agree here mcan, i don't do a lot of football takes on here, but i've always spoken highly on this beautiful man. He's a great Football mind, IMO.

tk13
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Don't forget Mike Solari. He was a huge part of that, and usually designed the run attack. Look what he's doing now in San Francisco. They're averaging almost 6 yards a carry... as a team.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I really wanted Al over Herm and wonder what our Franchise would look like today had that happened.

Phobia
10-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Al Saunders was canned as the Raiders OC last year then tried to find work in the offseason. Eventually went back to Oakland as an offensive assistant. He's not going to get a HC job in the NFL again. He's not highly regarded by anybody at this point and he's older than Romeo.

fire_egoli
10-28-2012, 11:45 PM
I really wanted Al over Herm and wonder what our Franchise would look like today had that happened.

we'd be minus charles, carr, flowers, albert, bowe, hali

The Bad Guy
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Why do we always have to go with a familiar face? Saunders was good about 8 years ago. Why am I going back to the early 2000's?

KILLER_CLOWN

Well considering this is officially the crappiest offense to ever grace the field, I could live with it.

KILLER_CLOWN
Why do we always have to go with a familiar face? Saunders was good about 8 years ago. Why am I going back to the early 2000's?

Because it was the last time we were worth a flying Fukushima.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Al Saunders was canned as the Raiders OC last year then tried to find work in the offseason. Eventually went back to Oakland as an offensive assistant. He's not going to get a HC job in the NFL again. He's not highly regarded by anybody at this point and he's older than Romeo.

he's motivated though, he's old but had a great demeanor. I'd love to see him back. But then again, I really did always like Sanders, i wasn't joking there. He got OUR players to respond, it seemed.

Simply Red
10-28-2012, 11:49 PM

would we still have Dante Hall though? BOOM! s'what I thought!

J Diddy
10-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Well considering this is officially the crappiest offense to ever grace the field, I could live with it.

I'm just not buying that we can be that offensively inept in one offseason. Seriously, we lost weigmann on offense. I have come to the conclusion that Daboll is shit.

Mojo Jojo
10-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Al has next to nothing on his own...he rides the coat tails of others. When are Chiefs fans ever going to realize that?

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm just not buying that we can be that offensively inept in one offseason. Seriously, we lost weigmann on offense. I have come to the conclusion that Daboll is shit.

Well of course Daboll blows but C'mon it isn't like we all loved Cassel last year or for that matter much of anyone outside of Charles/Bowe.

mcan
Don't forget Mike Solari. He was a huge part of that, and usually designed the run attack. Look what he's doing now in San Francisco. They're averaging almost 6 yards a carry... as a team.

Solari is pretty amazing. But Saunders blocking scheme was completely different than what we ran under solari for years. As I recall we tried a short stint with solari as oc, and that went pretty terribly. That said, I think he is a great line coach and did an awesome job of adjusting to Saunders.

KILLER_CLOWN
Al has next to nothing on his own...he rides the coat tails of others. When are Chiefs fans ever going to realize that?

I'll take it, where do i sign?

The Bad Guy
10-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Because it was the last time we were worth a flying Fukushima.

So what? The only way to future success is to go back in time?

There's plenty of qualified coaches that aren't 100 years old that could be good for this team.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:54 PM
So what? The only way to future success is to go back in time?

There's plenty of qualified coaches that aren't 100 years old that could be good for this team.

I want someone who will come in and get us winning and playoff bound right away. No more projects, we need stability at this point. We are THE laughing stock of the league.

J Diddy
10-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Well of course Daboll blows but C'mon it isn't like we all loved Cassel last year or for that matter much of anyone outside of Charles/Bowe.

I don't think they're that bad except every option at quarterback. The options at quarterback magnify every weakness this team has. I mean, fuck, this is like the conservative play of marty ball but with an ass ton of turnovers.

The Bad Guy
10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I want someone who will come in and get us winning and playoff bound right away. No more projects, we need stability at this point. We are THE laughing stock of the league.

Al Saunders made the playoffs once calling this offense and he had an all-world RB, TE and offensive line.

He hasn't been able to cut it anywhere without Vermeil. Do you want to bring him back too?

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I don't think they're that bad except every option at quarterback. The options at quarterback magnify every weakness this team has. I mean, ****, this is like the conservative play of marty ball but with an ass ton of turnovers.

Marty was a great coach, I don't see any decent coaches here now. That my friend is a humongous difference.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Al Saunders made the playoffs once calling this offense and he had an all-world RB, TE and offensive line.

He hasn't been able to cut it anywhere without Vermeil. Do you want to bring him back too?

I don't blame the offense for that at all, you remember a man with the initials of GR? He destroyed our defense, we had none..zero...nada.

cdcox
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Cassel doesn't have the accuracy or ability to read a defense to run Saunders offense. There is a reason most of Cassel's passes go 5 yards or less through the air. Cassel running Saunders down field passing attack would be a disaster. Cassel can't even throw a swing pass, another staple of Saunders offense.

Roaf and Shields were already HOFers before Saunders was OC. We don't have any where near that talent level here. Bringing him in isn't going to magically transform our OL into the 2003 OL.

Saunders is a very good OC who was terrible HC in his only stint. He's never been given a second chance to be a HC. Probably for a good reason.

So to recreate the 2002 - 2005 magic, we would need a new QB that is going to take a year or two to come up to speed. Will Bowe be here? How many years does Saunders have left? How many years does Charles have left?

In all likelihood we are looking at a total rebuild on offense. I don't think Saunders is the right man at this stage of his career.

Saunders' glory days with the Chiefs are past. Forward.

The Bad Guy
10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't blame the offense for that at all, you remember a man with the initials of GR? He destroyed our defense, we had none..zero...nada.

Robinson was here in for 3 years. What about the other 2? Saunders had his moments, but let's get real here. He's not walking through the door and fixing this offense.

Chiefs=Good
10-29-2012, 12:05 AM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/c5reI.gif

Fucking LOL LMAO

KILLER_CLOWN
10-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Robinson was here in for 3 years. What about the other 2? Saunders had his moments, but let's get real here. He's not walking through the door and fixing this offense.

The only way to fix this is to completely blow it up, You and I both know that. What we're talking about is who should start us up from that point on. I'm open to suggestions.

Discuss Thrower
10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Cassel doesn't have the accuracy or ability to read a defense to run Saunders offense. There is a reason most of Cassel's passes go 5 yards or less through the air. Cassel running Saunders down field passing attack would be a disaster. Cassel can't even throw a swing pass, another staple of Saunders offense.

Roaf and Shields were already HOFers before Saunders was OC. We don't have any where near that talent level here. Bringing him in isn't going to magically transform our OL into the 2003 OL.

Saunders is a very good OC who was terrible HC in his only stint. He's never been given a second chance to be a HC. Probably for a good reason.

So to recreate the 2002 - 2005 magic, we would need a new QB that is going to take a year or two to come up to speed. Will Bowe be here? How many years does Saunders have left? How many years does Charles have left?

In all likelihood we are looking at a total rebuild on offense. I don't think Saunders is the right man at this stage of his career.

We're looking at a full rebuild anyway.

Not that I think a retread is a good idea or anything.

Mojo Jojo
10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Al was also fired as OC from the Rams...during his second job there...no DV to cover him.

mcan
10-29-2012, 12:20 AM

This is a decent argument. But to me the concept of having a coach that knows how to manipulate his offense to isolate a specific weakness of a defense and then exploit that weakness... That sounds like water in a desert. And I doubt Saunders would run the exact same plays with this roster that he did in 2003.

And yes, we would need a new qb. I would think that if Saunders was ever given the reigns and a little bit of authority, he could find one in the draft that he thought could run his scheme. The growing pains of a young qb would be worth it though, come year two or three. This regime will squander whatever talent is on the field... NO ONE will succeed with these idiots in charge. It's just not possible that ALL of our players are historically bad.

Like I said in another thread. Changing the QB on this team (or anybody for that matter) is like taking away your eight year olds' plastic chess set and buying him a marble one. Oh it might LOOK prettier, but when an eight year old sits down to play with a professional, the quality of the pieces are of no consequence.

This team has been without a Grandmaster chess player for as long as I've been watching. Marty was good, and got a lot of out his players, but wasn't a brilliant tactician. The closest we've seen to a brilliant football mind was Al Saunders. Not a single head coach or assistant for this team has ever even been close.

chiefzilla1501
10-29-2012, 12:28 AM
This is a decent argument. But to me the concept of having a coach that knows how to manipulate his offense to isolate a specific weakness of a defense and then exploit that weakness... That sounds like water in a desert. And I doubt Saunders would run the exact same plays with this roster that he did in 2003.

And yes, we would need a new qb. I would think that if Saunders was ever given the reigns and a little bit of authority, he could find one in the draft that he thought could run his scheme. The growing pains of a young qb would be worth it though, come year two or three. This regime will squander whatever talent is on the field... NO ONE will succeed with these idiots in charge. It's just not possible that ALL of our players are historically bad.

Like I said in another thread. Changing the QB on this team (or anybody for that matter) is like taking away your eight year olds' plastic chess set and buying him a marble one. Oh it might LOOK prettier, but when an eight year old sits down to play with a professional, the quality of the pieces are of no consequence.

This team has been without a Grandmaster chess player for as long as I've been watching. Marty was good, and got a lot of out his players, but wasn't a brilliant tactician. The closest we've seen to a brilliant football mind was Al Saunders. Not a single head coach or assistant for this team has ever even been close.

Are you talking about as an assistant or a head coach? As a head coach, absolutely not. As an assistant... I think there are plenty of good ones out there that we don't need to bring a guy like Saunders back.

The Bad Guy
10-29-2012, 12:29 AM
The only way to fix this is to completely blow it up, You and I both know that. What we're talking about is who should start us up from that point on. I'm open to suggestions.

Offensively? Jay Gruden would be a good HC and someone to build the offense. He's done a great job with Cinci's offense.

There's a whole lot of buzz about Chip Kelly getting into the NFL after this year. There's a lot of articles currently about how NFL execs love him and think he'd be a great hire.

If we are starting from scratch, Kelly wouldn't be a bad option.

cdcox
10-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Yes we need a grandmaster to run our offense. His name is not Al Saunders. The Chiefs will not bring him in. If they do it will fail. That's just how these things work. You can't go home again.

BigMeatballDave
10-29-2012, 12:41 AM
The guy has already been an assistant for the Chiefs on 2 different occasions.

I really do not get the fascination with this guy.

Not to mention he's 65. We already have a 65 yr old coordinator.

mcan
10-29-2012, 12:57 AM
The guy has already been an assistant for the Chiefs on 2 different occasions.

I really do not get the fascination with this guy.

Not to mention he's 65. We already have a 65 yr old coordinator.

You're right, he's getting older... Better give him the keys and see what he can do before it's too late, I say.

htismaqe
10-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Al Saunders might be the most overrated coach in Chiefs history.

And he's not head coaching material. He was a head coach for the Chargers back in the day. There's a REASON he hasn't been one since.

Even the Raiders won't hire him as a HC.

Dartgod
10-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Not no, but...

HELL NO!!!