PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Gotta respect Unca George for this statement:

I guess. I'm just happy he finally let go.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Some fanboy just posted that Michael Fassbender would make a great Grand Admiral Thrawn.

IN.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAnL9lDLXemZr_oZFN01JP52x-dGd1OIeMUcVA-AnATEuYqqKiUoeZTVSk4w

http://www.theforce.net/books/images/TZ-THRAWN1.jpg

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:31 PM
George being old and talking.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YyqlTi7lkhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Indiana Jones 5 anyone?

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Oh thank heaven for that.

I knew what it was about, but it was just too esoteric for me. Just very contrived and forced. It was a shame, since the wife said, "Great, so it's going to be another 10 years before I get you out to see a film." She hated it too, though.

Go see Argo. You'll fucking love it.

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
So will Lucas still have some control over scripts and direction? Imagine if they hired someone like Fincher, or Cameron to direct it?

Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo del Toro. I will say it forever.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo del Toro. I will say it forever.

Ben Affleck

Rausch
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
George being old and talking.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YyqlTi7lkhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This clip looks like it was shot in the early 80's.

WTF?...Have these people not gotten a new hair cut or article of clothing since the Empire struck back?...

teedubya
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Disney should cast new actors in the roles for Luke, Leia and Han.

Anthony Daniels can reprise his role as C3P0, and some slapdick can wear the Chewie costume.

Take Timothy Zahn's novels and convert them to Episodes VII, VIII and IX.

PROFIT.

I loved those when I read them back in the day. I think that would be a solid direction, actually.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I loved those when I read them back in the day. I think that would be a solid direction, actually.

I loved those novels as well but there is so much information that a trilogy would require a fantastic screenwriter able to provide the backstory without making it too "cheap".

As far as the general public is concerned, I think the Young Jedi series that features Han & Leia's twins and Luke's son would be an easier sell.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 11:06 PM
One thing I like about this...I now have a sudden urge to re-read the Thrawn novels.

I haven't read them since I was a teenager.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 11:10 PM
One thing I like about this...I now have a sudden urge to re-read the Thrawn novels.

I haven't read them since I was a teenager.

Zahn initially wanted the character of C'Boath to be Obi Wan but Lucas vetoed that.

If you re-read, be sure to read both Zahn dualities that follow. They fill in a TON of back story.

Donger
10-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I think it's pretty clear. Listen, and learn, dumbass.

I'm sorry? What did Lucas say in the DVD commentary?

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry? What did Lucas say in the DVD commentary?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_SNI-kUEoI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger
10-30-2012, 11:20 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_SNI-kUEoI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you think that proves what?

SNR
10-30-2012, 11:22 PM
JFC.

Donger, have you ever read any works of literature before?

Donger
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
JFC.

Donger, have you ever read any works of literature before?

What would be your guess?

SNR
10-30-2012, 11:46 PM
What would be your guess?

Based on your reluctance to accept this simple character development premise just because it's not emphasized in the dialogue with a fucking sledgehammer, I'm going to say no. I don't think you've ever read a work of literature where you were forced to make plot inferences yourself.

Psyko Tek
10-31-2012, 12:30 AM
What on earth makes you think that Lucasfilm is just six film prints of Star Wars?

hell they own howard the duck

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
And you think that proves what?

Did you even listen? :facepalm:

It's clear evidence that Yoda wasn't being cute just to be cute.

It was part of a test, as in the mythological motif that Lucas quoted.

Lucas goes on to talk about Yoda revealing who he really is later in the movie.

You are either dumb as a rock or trolling.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 12:42 AM
I do love a good Star Wars thread, guys.

Thanks.

ThaVirus
10-31-2012, 12:56 AM
Who's the strongest Star Wars character?

keg in kc
10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
Speaking of the Thrawn novels, they've done a 20th anniversary audiobook re-recording of the series in the last year or so: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=pd_sim_narr_2?asin=B005IHAT1A

Frazod
10-31-2012, 01:21 AM
it wasn't all bad

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/princess-leia-gold-bikini.jpg

First three movies - my childhood

Last three pieces of shit - raping my childhood

InChiefsHell
10-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Donger is trolling you guys...for like well over half the thread. He's got ya by the balls.

Swanman
10-31-2012, 07:35 AM
Zahn initially wanted the character of C'Boath to be Obi Wan but Lucas vetoed that.

If you re-read, be sure to read both Zahn dualities that follow. They fill in a TON of back story.

Outbound Flight was absolutely fantastic and really, really dark at times. That book did an amazing job of filling out Thrawns character.

Garcia Bronco
10-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Lucas has said repeatedly that there will be no Episode 7 and I'd imagine he still owns the rights unless someone has said different.

Garcia Bronco
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Outbound Flight was absolutely fantastic and really, really dark at times. That book did an amazing job of filling out Thrawns character.

Yeah...but the whole story starts before the clone wars and ends some 20 years ABY.

Chazno
10-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Lucas has said repeatedly that there will be no Episode 7 and I'd imagine he still owns the rights unless someone has said different.

So then what of LucasFilm do you see being worth 4.05 Billion?

Donger
10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
Did you even listen? :facepalm:

It's clear evidence that Yoda wasn't being cute just to be cute.

It was part of a test, as in the mythological motif that Lucas quoted.

Lucas goes on to talk about Yoda revealing who he really is later in the movie.

You are either dumb as a rock or trolling.

That's fine and I accept the premise. The muppet was being cute in order to provoke an emotional response from Luke. How long did you take to find all those examples, BTW?

How about the other cute scenes, such as when Chewy growls at the little toaster R/C thing and it squeaks and takes off in the opposite direction (or the previously mentioned Han scene)? All examples of a cuteness directed at children.

beach tribe
10-31-2012, 09:05 AM

I think it has already been established that there will be a new trilogy.

loochy
10-31-2012, 09:25 AM
That's fine and I accept the premise. The muppet was being cute in order to provoke an emotional response from Luke. How long did you take to find all those examples, BTW?

How about the other cute scenes, such as when Chewy growls at the little toaster R/C thing and it squeaks and takes off in the opposite direction (or the previously mentioned Han scene)? All examples of a cuteness directed at children.

ROFL DOnger is a troll.

loochy
10-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Yoda is a muppet.

http://pvponline.com/news/yoda-is-a-muppet

Donger
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
ROFL DOnger is a troll.

Not at all. Let's look at the facts:

Some people say that the prequels were kiddie movies and the first three were not.

Yet only one of the prequels was overtly kiddie (Episode I), as was Episode VI (Ewoks).

Therefore, it cannot be concluded that the prequels were kiddie films and the originals were not.

Frosty
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
ROFL DOnger is a troll.

Donger is ****ing up a perfectly good thread again. :mad: This should be about the future of the Star Wars franchise, not arguing minutia from 30 years ago.

InChiefsHell
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Not at all. Let's look at the facts:

Some people say that the prequels were kiddie movies and the first three were not.

Yet only one of the prequels was overtly kiddie (Episode I), as was Episode VI (Ewoks).

Therefore, it cannot be concluded that the prequels were kiddie films and the originals were not.
I was 7 when the original Episode 4 came out. I was fascinated. There is not a doubt that there was a dual purpose to the films, they appealed to a wide audience, including kids. In fact, I think they were the first film to really capitalize on toys and such. But I don't remember it as "cutsie" as much as it was Bad Ass. When I was young, Empire was my least favorite. It is the darkest part of the story arc. When Jedi came out, even I knew that the Ewoks were really kiddie stuff, but it didn't detract from the story itself. Basically Episodes 4, 5, and 6 were a masterful combination that appealed to a wide audience. When they came back and did 1, 2 and 3, they went CGI and effects crazy and forgot about any kind of smart writing and character development. And they seemed to go way more kid crazy (Anakin, Jar Jar, little kid Padawans, fart jokes, etc).

IMO, the diagnosis of Yoda being specifically a "kiddie" device is incorrect. He was definitely "cute" but not so much for the kids as for the purpose of his character and what he was doing with Luke.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 09:43 AM

The bloody severed alien arm was a hoot. Aimed at children! And the burning corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru! Sponge Bob should do a bit with that! HAHA kiddies the Empire just burned up your auntie! Now who wants pudding?

LMAO

Donger
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
The bloody severed alien arm was a hoot. Aimed at children! And the burning corpses of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru! Sponge Bob should do a bit with that! HAHA kiddies the Empire just burned up your auntie! Now who wants pudding?

LMAO

How about Anakin being cut in half by Obi Wan? Anakin killing all the kids?

We could do this all day...

Frazod
10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
How about Anakin being cut in half by Obi Wan? Anakin killing all the kids?

We could do this all day...

Knock yourself out. Again, my problem with the last movies is that they're horrible, not their target demographics.

You may have Clay wound up over this, but I'm just laughing at your typical dongerishness.

Donger
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Knock yourself out. Again, my problem with the last movies is that they're horrible, not their target demographics.

You may have Clay wound up over this, but I'm just laughing at your typical dongerishness.

Okay, but since you brought up the violence of the originals, I thought I'd bring up the violence of the prequels.

I don' think that GoChiefs is wound up at all.

loochy
10-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Frankie told me that Yoda is definitely not a muppet. He was also concerned about the scary prospect of Luke's X-Wing breaking apart in mid air after being stuck in that swamp.

Garcia Bronco
10-31-2012, 10:02 AM
So then what of LucasFilm do you see being worth 4.05 Billion?

Does Lucas Films include ILM and Lucasarts?

Garcia Bronco
10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
I think it has already been established that there will be a new trilogy.

I don't think it has...

when Lucas was doing the spots for RedTails and I quote "This is as close to episode 7 as you're ever going to get."

Swanman
10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't think it has...

when Lucas was doing the spots for RedTails and I quote "This is as close to episode 7 as you're ever going to get."

Disney now owns the joint and they said in the press release that Episode 7 is coming out in 2015. Fuck what George Lucas says from now on. It's Mickey's call.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 11:21 AM

Dude

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't think it has...

Just do a web search.

We'll be seeing Star Wars films, TV, animated characters, etc. for the next 100 years.

Episode 7, 8 & 9 are slated for 2015, 2017 and 2019 with tons more to come.

Mosbonian
10-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Not sure why anyone sees this as a surprise.....Star Wars has been tied to Disney's hip for some time now.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't think it has...

Henley said the Eagles would get back together when hell freezes over.

Clinton said he did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Herm said you play to win the game.

People lie all the time, dude.

Strongside
10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Is Garcia Bronco a mouth-breather? Does he not understand how the sale of intellectual property works? When Lucas sold Lucasfilm, he sold the Star-Wars franchise along with it. Disney is free to do with it whatever they would like...which, as they've ALREADY said, includes more films. The neckbeard has no say in what happens to the franchise and they've paid him handsomely to STFU.

To put this in terms that you may easier understand...

Let's say you drew a pretty picture of Peyton Manning and everyone loved it. You then decided to start a business drawing Peyton Manning photos. People are buying these things up like hot cakes. But somewhere along the line you lose the drive to draw these things, so you go back and touch up the old drawings. Then, when you do new ones...they are completely shitty kid cartoons. Everyone hates you. You then say, out of spite, that there will be no more Peyton Manning drawings. Ever. But then...I come to you and give you 4 billion dollars to buy your Peyton Manning picture business. I am free to do with these drawings whatever I'd like and you can't say shit about it. I would then burn all of your Peyton Manning drawings and mail you the ashes. You get the picture.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Henley said the Eagles would get back together when hell freezes over.

Clinton said he did not have sexual relations with that woman.

Herm said you play to win the game.

People lie all the time, dude.

Avatar completely blew George away and he began thinking about more Star Wars movies as soon as he saw it. The problem was that he didn't have the energy to do more films. The response to the prequels really hurt him on a personal level.

Once he saw the incredible success of Marvel, he decided to align with Disney. He didn't want his legacy to be a movie from 1977 and with this sale, his I.P. will live forever.

It's all about the ego with these guys.

Ebolapox
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
just looked it up, maybe I'm slow to the party--disney DID acquire Lucasfilms' IP... freaking STEAL right there.

Chiefspants
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Okay, but since you brought up the violence of the originals, I thought I'd bring up the violence of the prequels.

I don' think that GoChiefs is wound up at all.

Is everything an argument to you? Or are you just the old man troll that everyone seems to underestimate?

Chiefspants
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Is everything an argument to you? Or are you just the old man troll that everyone seems to underestimate?

What makes you say that?

/Donger

Strongside
10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
CP has gone full nerd.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Avatar completely blew George away and he began thinking about more Star Wars movies as soon as he saw it. The problem was that he didn't have the energy to do it.

Once he saw the incredible success of Marvel, he decided to align with Disney. He didn't want his legacy to be a movie from 1977 and with this sale, his I.P. will live forever.

It's all about the ego with these guys.

As long as Lucas and his ego are no longer involved in the creative process, I don't care what he does.

As far as his legacy goes, if he was really concerned about it, he shouldn't have shit all over it with Episodes I-III and the last Indiana Jones disaster (which I was smart enough to never watch).

Again, fuck you, George.

stevieray
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
CP has gone full TMZ.

this.

Strongside
10-31-2012, 11:50 AM
As long as Lucas and his ego are no longer involved in the creative process, I don't care what he does.

As far as his legacy goes, if he was really concerned about it, he shouldn't have shit all over it with Episodes I-III and the last Indiana Jones disaster (which I was smart enough to never watch).

Again, **** you, George.

Agreed. He ruined any legacy that he had with those debacles.

Donger
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Yes.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
This might be a good thing if it leads to MOAR STAR WARS. :clap:

I'm sure he still has ultimate creative say on anything SW.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Early in the thread, it was stated (speculated?) that future Star Wars movies would NOT be based on any novels, then the talk focused on the sequels being about the Jedi Academy?

Seriously - if they want to do movies based on novels, do the Thrawn stories. Dane said it would take a great screenwriter, so go offer that person a check to do it. If done properly, the Thrawn series would make ridiculous amounts of money.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Early in the thread, it was stated (speculated?) that future Star Wars movies would NOT be based on any novels, then the talk focused on the sequels being about the Jedi Academy?

Seriously - if they want to do movies based on novels, do the Thrawn stories. Dane said it would take a great screenwriter, so go offer that person a check to do it. If done properly, the Thrawn series would make ridiculous amounts of money.

Nope, I say Legacy era with the Solo kids and the Vong.

The Vong are badass and immune to the Force.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM

Again, fuck you, George.

The worst part is that I don't think he even knew that he was shitting on beloved I.P.

Like I said earlier, the Midichlorians ruined the Star Wars Universe for me. Jar Jar sucked, Ani was a whiny bitch, the dialogue in each prequel was laughable and stiff.

But once he made it known that you had to be born with a certain bloodline to use The Force, ALL the fun was taken away. Hopefully, a smart writer will quickly negate that notion in the onslaught of sequels, TV shows, etc.

Donger
10-31-2012, 12:00 PM
The worst part is that I don't think he even knew that he was shitting on beloved I.P.

Like I said earlier, the Midichlorians ruined the Star Wars Universe for me. Jar Jar sucked, Ani was a whiny bitch, the dialogue in each prequel was laughable and stiff.

But once he made it known that you had to be born with a certain bloodline to use The Force, ALL the fun was taken away. Hopefully, a smart writer will quickly negate that notion in the onslaught of sequels, TV shows, etc.

Was the dialogue really any better in the originals? I remember watching Harrison Ford giving an interview about how bad the dialogue was in the first ones.

Sweet Daddy Hate

Hayden sucked. Poor casting. Not even Natalie could save that poor hack.

DaneMcCloud

The biggest problem with doing a Thrawn series today is that first off, the real age of Hamill, Fisher and Ford don't line up with the books. Plus, I seriously doubt that Ford would even consider it.

I'm guessing they'll do the Thrawn trilogy and the follow up Dualities at some point but I'll bet it'll be when the original actors have absolutely no chance of reprising their role, making it a reboot of sorts.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
The biggest problem with doing a Thrawn series today is that first off, the real age of Hamill, Fisher and Ford don't line up with the books. Plus, I seriously doubt that Ford would even consider it.

I'm guessing they'll do the Thrawn trilogy and the follow up Dualities at some point but I'll bet it'll be when the original actors have absolutely no chance of reprising their role, making it a reboot of sorts.

Yep. Plus, you'd have to do some serious CG to get Carrie back to form...

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Was the dialogue really any better in the originals? I remember watching Harrison Ford giving an interview about how bad the dialogue was in the first ones.

The dialogue wasn't necessarily better, but it was certainly more believable due to the actors delivering the lines.

In the prequels, the only guy that I truly believed was Liam Neeson. But then again, he's awesome in everything.

Deberg_1990
10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
American Graffeti 3, John Milner Reborn!

Starring Nicholas Cage, a Jerry Bruckheimer production.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Yep. Plus, you'd have to do some serious CG to get Carrie back to form...

Yeah, Disney's not going that route. They have a large universe to explore and a timeline of like 20,000 years.

I could see them going back 1,000 years before ANH and starting out with a young Yoda and the Republic at that time before doing anything of note with the original cast (outside of Hamill, the droids and Chewy).

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah, Disney's not going that route. They have a large universe to explore and a timeline of like 20,000 years.

I could see them going back 1,000 years before ANH and starting out with a young Yoda and the Republic at that time before doing anything of note with the original cast (outside of Hamill, the droids and Chewy).

Old Republic is hot right now.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM

I think it would be infinitely cooler than 7-9 but I imagine they'll be developing movies or a TV series based on the Old Republic.

CGI has gotten to the point where it's somewhat affordable for premium cable TV.

BossChief
10-31-2012, 12:34 PM
This is AWESOME news.

I cant wait to take my kid to Episode 7.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM

Darth Bane

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Darth Bane

FUCK...

YES!!!!!

Bring in Drew Karpyshan to consult, and you have a fucking WINNER.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Have you ever watched the Plinkett review of Phantom Menace? I've mentioned in it this thread before. I think you'd really appreciate it. He completely dissects the total dumbassery that is Episode I.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Some stuff that he doesn't mention:

Only 2 Sith at one time? Always? What the hell is that? Since they were both killed off in ROTJ, I guess there's no more evil in the universe, right?

And why do the Jedi always feel the need to fight 2-on-1? There's a name for that - pussy. That bothered me almost as much as Jar Jar. Almost. :grr:

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Have you ever watched the Plinkett review of Phantom Menace? I've mentioned in it this thread before. I think you'd really appreciate it. He completely dissects the total dumbassery that is Episode I.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

Only 2 Sith at one time? Always? What the hell is that? Since they were both killed off in ROTJ, I guess there's no more evil in the universe, right?

And why do the Jedi always feel the need to fight 2-on-1? There's a name for that - pussy. That bothered me almost as much as Jar Jar. Almost. :grr:

LMAO

Thanks! I'll check it out when time permits.

Hopefully, a smart writer can negate some of this stuff, especially the Midichlorians, which would be easy: "Midichlorians? That's how the Jedi thought they were connected to the Force. They were wrong, just as they were wrong about the return of the Sith."

Bam, done. Shut the fuck up, George Lucas.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Not always. The history has periods were there were armies of Sith as well.

BossChief
10-31-2012, 01:04 PM
I know I'm old school and it probably wont happen, but I really hope that Disney distances themselves from all the CGI stuff and goes back to more of what made the original movies great and more real. You had a connection with characters like Yoda, Chewbacca and the Ewoks that was thrown out the moment the unveiled the CGI Yoda and other characters.

That, to me, was the biggest fail of the prequels and even the remakes of the originals that Lucas re-released.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Yoda specifically said that there are two - no more, no less.

Yes, it's as dumb as the midachlorians, and needs to be excised.

I personally hope that the new movies are approached in such a manner all of the content from the last three abortions is ignored. Sort of like Highlander 2.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 01:07 PM
I know I'm old school and it probably wont happen, but I really hope that Disney distances themselves from all the CGI stuff and goes back to more of what made the original movies great and more real. You had a connection with characters like Yoda, Chewbacca and the Ewoks that was thrown out the moment the unveiled the CGI Yoda and other characters.

That, to me, was the biggest fail of the prequels and even the remakes of the originals that Lucas re-released.

I remember seeing an interview a young George Lucas gave (may be in the Plinkett review) where he specifically says that special effects should NOT overpower the story.

Swear to God.

:shake:

Discuss Thrower
10-31-2012, 01:08 PM

But not armies of Sith lords.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Yoda specifically said that there are two - no more, no less.

Yes, it's as dumb as the midachlorians, and needs to be excised.

I personally hope that the new movies are approached in such a manner all of the content from the last three abortions is ignored. Sort of like Highlander 2.

During Yoda's time the Sith were in hiding and had only two members with each successive Master and Apprentice.

Prior to that, they were an Army that was defeated and thought extinct. Only Darth Bane survived, and he instituted the Rule of Two.

Prior to Bane, there were at least three periods that the Sith were large in number and sought to destroy the republic and take over the galaxy.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
It's been awhile since I've really delved into the SW universe, so Clay or DCS are prbably more up on this stuff, but I think the Sith originally started off as two and only two, then grew to legion for centuries until Darth Bane came along and wiped out ALL the Sith, and nearly all the Jedi pretty much single handedly.

All that took place roughly 1000 years before Yavin, or roughly the same time Yoda was crawling out of the swamp.

Sweet Daddy Hate
But not armies of Sith lords.

Incorrect.

Bane was a Sith Lord serving with a multitude of Sith Lords out of Korriban during the Rusaan War.

Frazod
During Yoda's time the Sith were in hiding and had only two members with each successive Master and Apprentice.

Prior to that, they were an Army that was defeated and thought extinct. Only Darth Bane survived, and he instituted the Rule of Two.

Prior to Bane, there were at least three periods that the Sith were large in number and sought to destroy the republic and take over the galaxy.

Never read any of the backstory - I'm just going by what was said in the movies.

Bowser

There you go, frazod.

BossChief
10-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I remember seeing an interview a young George Lucas gave (may be in the Plinkett review) where he specifically says that special effects should NOT overpower the story.

Swear to God.

:shake:

IMO George got extremely lazy with the prequels. Very disappointing.

Dallas Chief
10-31-2012, 01:17 PM

Holy shit! Strong is the nerd with you. This...I never knew.

loochy
10-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Incorrect.

Bane was a Sith Lord serving with a multitude of Sith Lords out of Korriban during the Rusaan War.

In Sith Rusaa Sith Lord serve YOU

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
In Sith Rusaa Sith Lord serve YOU

LMAO

Brock
10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
This can only be an improvement.

Swanman
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Incorrect.

Bane got tired of the Sith army playing political games, he thought it made them weak. So he instituted the rule of two, where a master/apprentice would work together in the shadows to wreck shit.

Tribal Warfare
10-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Star Wars 7 Plot Will Be "an Original Story," Says Lucasfilm Source (http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source)

First of all, you should know that there is an official canon concerning the Star Wars universe. Those stories cover the years after rebel victory (i.e., after Return of the Jedi). It's written in a series of books called the Thrawn Trilogy, by author Timothy Zahn. Die-hard Star Wars fans know the trilogy well, and they say that a big-screen adaptation of the first book, Heir to the Empire, would make the most logical Episode 7.

"Of all the speculation out there about the content of this new trilogy, that's the single most concrete idea," says Eric Geller of the fan site TheForce.net. "It's almost inevitable that the story will take place in the same time frame as those books."

So what happens in "those books?"

Well, Luke Skywalker meets a real would-be assassin lady named Mara Jade, who was trained to avenge the Emperor by crushing Luke's pretty blond head. Instead, Jade falls for Luke and, a subsequent graphic novel, the two marry. Skywalker also has to deal with the fact that he's the only Jedi left, at least, for now, and he goes about trying to fix that.
Send us your questions on Facebook!

Princess Leia and Han Solo also play heavily into the Thrawn Trilogy, popping out a pair of twins (of course) among other things. As for the name Thrawn, well, that refers to a grand admiral with imperial sympathies who takes over as the leader of the vanquished enemy faction.

So is that the basis for Episode 7 or not? I've heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources close to the picture, and they say: Definitely not.

"It's an original story," a LucasFilm source tells me.
In other words, forget the Star Wars novels. Forget the graphic novels. Forget everything you think you know about what happens to Luke Skywalker. According to my sources, Episode 7 will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.
I also hear from several sources that, no matter what you may hear to the contrary, no director has been officially attached to the project.
Meanwhile, there isn't much news regarding the other big Star Wars projects currently in development.

A spoofy cartoon TV series, Detours, was announced in August, spearheaded by Seth Green and the other creators of Robot Chicken. No release dates or networks were revealed, but Disney has said that it envisions some sort of Star Wars presence on its Disney XD channel. I wouldn't be surprised if Detours landed there.
Disney is paying how much for LucasFilm!?!?

Lastly, there's the live action series, which has been bubbling around since 2008 and which is supposed to take place between Episodes 3 and 4, when Luke Skywalker is growing up.

As I reported earlier, Lucasfilm was still talking in enthusiastic terms about Star Wars: Underworld less than a year ago. At that time, the show had a lot of scripts in the can but no financing. But if there's one thing that Disney has, it's money. Still, insiders tell me it's too soon to expect any announcements on either series.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 06:14 PM

New actors absolutely need to be cast.

It worked for Star Trek, it can work for Star Wars.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I figured it would be a given.

Who would be good replacements?

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 06:28 PM

Yesterday:

It was done successfully with Star Trek, so it can be done.

Although the word on the street is that it would be new scripts, not novel adaptions.

:D

No idea who they'd cast. DiCaprio really wanted the part of Anakin but he also wanted creative input, so we were stuck with Christensen.

I just hope it's not a bunch of fucking Disney kids like Selena Gomez.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Holy shit! Strong is the nerd with you. This...I never knew.

Not really, Dude. I'm not really "into" anything nerdy although I liked A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back as a kid but hated Return of the Jedi.

I first came to Hollywood alone and when walking around on the weekends, noticed newsstands everywhere. I just happened to stumble upon the first Zahn/Thrawn book in 1993 and purchased it. I've read that trilogy and his follow up dualities since but I could never get into the other authors much.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
No idea who they'd cast. DiCaprio really wanted the part of Anakin but he also wanted creative input, so we were stuck with Christensen.

I just hope it's not a bunch of fucking Disney kids like Selena Gomez.

I assume creative input = read the script and said "Holy shit, this is terrible."

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I assume creative input = read the script and said "Holy shit, this is terrible."

I'm not even sure it got that far. All I can recall is that DiCaprio spent a weekend at Skywalker Ranch and once Lucas denied any input whatsoever from DiCaprio, he was out.

Outside of the scenes with Jango and Obi Wan, AOTC is unwatchable for me.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Not really, Dude. I'm not really "into" anything nerdy although I liked A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back as a kid but hated Return of the Jedi.

I first came to Hollywood alone and when walking around on the weekends, noticed newsstands everywhere. I just happened to stumble upon the first Zahn/Thrawn book in 1993 and purchased it. I've read that trilogy and his follow up dualities since but I could never get into the other authors much.I once made up my mind that I was going to read every SW story in chronological order. Not a chance. Some stories were pretty decent, others were just bad bad.

I'd recommend the Thrawn saga to anyone who ever even just kind of had a liking for Star Wars. Good stuff. I've also read that the Rogue Squadron stories are pretty good....

Lol, I can actually see that happening.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm not even sure it got that far. All I can recall is that DiCaprio spent a weekend at Skywalker Ranch and once Lucas denied any input whatsoever from DiCaprio, he was out.

I seriously grimmaced every time Padme and Anakin had a romantic scene. It was that awful.

Even the Jedi free for all on Geonosis couldn't save that film.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
I seriously grimmaced every time Padme and Anakin had a romantic scene. It was that awful.

Just to be fair, the scene where Anakin finds his mom and he starts slipping to the dark side was good. Needed way more of that.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 06:47 PM

One of the best parts of the Plinkett thing is footage of Lucas brainstorming (if you can even call it that) with his various sycophants and underlings. They laugh at his stupid jokes and agree with everything he says, but the pained looks on their faces really say it all - they know he's out of his fucking mind, but won't argue with him because they like getting paid. I guess Leo wanted no part of that crap.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Well, it would need to be older actors. 35+ IMO.

Here are some off the top of my head picks:

Luke - Sam Worthington

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080213/sam_l.jpg

Han - Jon Hamm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SgTf7swAhZA/UGxn5X_fSXI/AAAAAAAAHXg/ZXe1pFdugJE/s1600/john_hamm.jpg

Leia - Amy Adams

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5268/5599903398_5b2802e878.jpg

It's too bad Patricia Heaton is 54 fucking years old because 10 years ago she would have killed as an aging, yet fiesty Princess Leia. She's certainly short enough, at 5-2. Carrie Fisher was about 5-1.

http://image.funscrape.com/images/p/patricia_heaton_27833.jpg

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 07:05 PM

With Hamill, Ford and Fisher still alive, Disney would face an enormous backlash if 7-9 re-cast them as actors.

I could see them re-cast in 2020 and beyond, but with the scrutiny and negative reviews that Episodes 1-3 received, Disney will need to hit a home run with 7-9 or face massive brand failure.

The only way I can see them proceeding with Luke, Leia and Han's characters in the short term would be through animation and voice actors and even then, it would probably be restricted to television.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 07:08 PM

Yeah, that was pretty awful, too. It looked like a bunch of extras super-imposed on the image of Geonosis, which itself, was cheesy looking, IMO.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Here are some off the top of my head picks:

Luke - Sam Worthington

Han - Jon Hamm

Leia - Amy Adams

Off the top of my head, I'd go with Matt Damon, Daniel Craig and Teri Hatcher.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
With Hamill, Ford and Fisher still alive, Disney would face an enormous backlash if 7-9 re-cast them as actors.

I could see them re-cast in 2020 and beyond, but with the scrutiny and negative reviews that Episodes 1-3 received, Disney will need to hit a home run with 7-9 or face massive brand failure.

The only way I can see them proceeding with Luke, Leia and Han's characters in the short term would be through animation and voice actors and even then, it would probably be restricted to television.

Do you really think so? I mean, Hamill and Fisher have not aged well (at all) and Ford is 70. Unless they're just sitting around Jedi Council style, how the hell would you pull it off?

Frazod
10-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Hamill

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mark+Hamill+Comic+Con+International+2012+Stan+FwUOAgbCXtEl.jpg

Fisher

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/8/0/80h3a3q6o7dwwd6.jpg

Ford

http://topnews.in/light/files/Harrison-Ford_5.jpg

I mean, seriously.....

Count Alex's Losses
Off the top of my head, I'd go with Matt Damon, Daniel Craig and Teri Hatcher.

Teri Hatcher would be a terrible choice. She's almost 50, and really not a very good actress at all, IMO.

Matt Damon could nail Luke Skywalker, but I'm not sure I like having such a HUGE NAME attached in such a lead role. It would be weird.

Count Alex's Losses
Hamill

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Mark+Hamill+Comic+Con+International+2012+Stan+FwUOAgbCXtEl.jpg

Fisher

http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/8/0/80h3a3q6o7dwwd6.jpg

Ford

http://topnews.in/light/files/Harrison-Ford_5.jpg

I mean, seriously.....

LMAO

Can we cast them all as Sith Lords?

Frazod
10-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Teri Hatcher would be a terrible choice. She's almost 50, and really not a very good actress at all, IMO.

Matt Damon could nail Luke Skywalker, but I'm not sure I like having such a HUGE NAME attached in such a lead role. It would be weird.

It's not like Carrie Fisher won a crate full of Oscars....

Hatcher was just the first older hot brown-eyed brunette I thought of.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Do you really think so? I mean, Hamill and Fisher have not aged well (at all) and Ford is 70. Unless they're just sitting around Jedi Council style, how the hell would you pull it off?

Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't think 7-9 will include those characters.

I think they'll do the Thrawn series or future movies with those characters in a new saga when it's more "acceptable" to re-cast.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Why is re-casting Luke Skywalker so much more horrendous than re-casting Captain Kirk?

The last time Mark Hamill played Luke was 1983.

Shatner was reprising his role as Kirk all the way through the early 90s.

Disney should just fucking do it.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
It's not like Carrie Fisher won a crate full of Oscars....

Hatcher was just the first older hot brown-eyed brunette I thought of.

Yeah but, like Dane said, backlash.

If you cast some awful actor in any of these roles and they do a shit job, it's not gonna look good.

If you get a real actor in there who can nail a role, make it their own and ape the original actor's performance somewhat, home run.

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Why is re-casting Luke Skywalker so much more horrendous than re-casting Captain Kirk?

The last time Mark Hamill played Luke was 1983.

Shatner was reprising his role as Kirk all the way through the early 90s.

Disney should just fucking do it.

I think it will be fine to re-cast, just not for this particular series of 1-9.

Outside of that, sure.

I think it would be weird, continuity-wise, to have Luke played by Hamill in Episode 6 and played by Ryan Gosling or whomever in Episode 7.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. I don't think 7-9 will include those characters.

I think they'll do the Thrawn series or future movies with those characters in a new saga when it's more "acceptable" to re-cast.

I still don't see the problem with recasting. IMO, if James T. Kirk can be recast, Luke Skywalker can be recast.

Brock
10-31-2012, 07:34 PM
It's not like Mark Hamill is in any kind of shape to take that up again anyway.

Simply Red
10-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Good, I hope this means George Lucas is done with Star Wars. He has almost completely destroyed it. I was a huge fan of the originals.

he didn't destroy shit, you just got older - so FUCK YOU!

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 07:39 PM
I think it will be fine to re-cast, just not for this particular series of 1-9.

Outside of that, sure.

I think it would be weird, continuity-wise, to have Luke played by Hamill in Episode 6 and played by Ryan Gosling or whomever in Episode 7.

I just don't see the point of an Episode 7 without the Skywalkers in it.

What would they even make the story about?

I guess a Boba Fett/Jabba/Galatic Underworld movie would be cool, but that's supposed to be the setting for the TV show.

TribalElder
10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29321423.jpg

Tribal Warfare
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM

I guess a Boba Fett/Jabba/Galatic Underworld movie would be cool, but that's supposed to be the setting for the TV show.

there were rumors of it being 1000 years in the future with no connection to the Skywalker storyline.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 07:47 PM
See, fuck it.

I want to see more Luke Skywalker adventures.

Maybe the bastard can turn to the darkside, like he did in Dark Empire. How cool would that be?

http://media.indiedb.com/images/groups/1/2/1088/Luke-dark1.jpg

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 07:48 PM

Again, I think Disney will be cool at some point with re-casting the characters from the original series and sending them off on new adventures.

But just as it wouldn't make sense to have a different Batman for each of Chris Nolan's Dark Knight, it doesn't make sense to have different Han, Leia or Luke for Episode 7-9.

If that's the road they're heading, they'd be better off with a stand alone trilogy and not a continuation. But then again, Disney has been known to fuck shit up (John Carter of Mars), so who really knows.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense thematically and would be a tough sell as a continuation of the original series.

tk13
10-31-2012, 07:53 PM
It's not like Mark Hamill is in any kind of shape to take that up again anyway.

TRAINING MONTAGE!

Only instead of running up steps and punching things, he's lightsaber sparring and trying to make things float with his mind.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Mark is only 61.

If he got his ass off the couch he could have a cameo as geriatric master Skywalker. :D

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 08:19 PM
Take it FWIW:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Culture-Cafe/2012/1031/Star-Wars-Episode-7-How-Disney-could-avoid-ruining-Star-Wars/%28page%29/2

While some fan sites speculated that the new movies would be based on stories already tackled in the novels written about the “Star Wars” universe after “Return of the Jedi,” E! News said a Lucasfilm source told them that the plotline of the new movies would be “original.” E! writer Leslie Gornstein writes that according to her source, the new films “will literally be nothing you've ever seen or read before from the Star Wars universe.”

So, one would assume, that means no Luke. No Han Solo. No Princess Leia. No Mara Jade (the assassin Luke falls in love with and marries in the novels, in case you were wondering). It sounds like it would be all-new characters, an all-new plotline.

--------------

If this report true, I don't understand why Disney would call it Episode 7-9. It should be a new trilogy with its own name, like Star Wars: The New Empire, or whatever.

whoman69
10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
If they will release Star Wars VII, I will take back everything bad I have to say about this. I do withhold my right to say it sucks later.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Sounds like they're being too ambitious.

Frazod
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
See, fuck it.

I want to see more Luke Skywalker adventures.

Maybe the bastard can turn to the darkside, like he did in Dark Empire. How cool would that be?

http://media.indiedb.com/images/groups/1/2/1088/Luke-dark1.jpg

Holy crap, what a horrible painting.

Did the dark side make an arm grow out of Luke's lower rib cage? LMAO

Strongside
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM

A common side effect of hatred.

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 08:57 PM

He's leaning forward, dude.

Stop hating on Dark Empire covers. Most badass EU ever.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/star-wars-dark-empire/5-1.jpg

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/star-wars-dark-empire/6-1.jpg

Deberg_1990
10-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Mark is only 61.

If he got his ass off the couch he could have a cameo as geriatric master Skywalker. :D

He can't act.

"I'm going into Toshi station to pick up some power converters......"

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
So apparently, 7, 8 & 9 weren't a secret to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-disney/

So you met with George this past summer and he told you about his plans to make another trilogy?

Yeah, last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, “We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!” [Laughs] I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about. We’ll see. I’m anxious to know what’s going on, but the main story [yesterday] was the sale to Disney. I have mixed feelings about that, but they haven’t done badly by Marvel and the Muppets and Pixar. It’s one of those big decisions that at first seems unusual but then the more you look at it, the more it makes sense.

When you had lunch with George, did he get into any details with you about where the story would go in the next three films, or whether you would have a part in them?

Well, no, he was just talking about writers and the fact that he wouldn’t be directing. I guess he wanted us to know before everybody else knew. He said, “Now you can’t tell anybody!” [Laughs] Even now I’m nervous about saying anything. I just don’t know!

DaneMcCloud
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
He can't act.

His voice acting career has been very successful

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 09:13 PM
It's amusing that Harrison Ford didn't come to lunch.

He hates Star Wars. LMAO

Valiant
10-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Mark is only 61.

Kyle Katarn saga..

And they could just make up the next trilogy with Skywalker as master..

Count Alex's Losses
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Kyle Katarn saga..

God, that would kick so much ass.

Apart from this bit...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090412152832/ru.starwars/images/2/27/Desann.jpg

I actually think the original Jedi Knight game could be turned into a kick ass movie, or maybe even trilogy.

Jerec was a very cool villain.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070514205348/starwars/images/8/8b/Jerec-stance.jpg

Jerec served the Empire as an Inquisitor for many years. However, Jerec was in truth devoted only to himself.

One of the most powerful Dark Jedi in the Empire, Jerec continually sought ways to increase his power and take the Empire for himself. One of his chief obsessions was the Valley of the Jedi on the lost planet of Ruusan, which contained vast amounts of trapped Force power.

After the Emperor's death at Endor, Jerec formed a band of seven Dark Jedi to seek out the Valley. He was able to find the legendary well of energy, and reached incredible heights of power by basking in its aura. However, for all his power, he was defeated in combat by Kyle Katarn, a novice Jedi who fulfilled an ancient prophecy, regarding freeing the Valley's trapped Jedi and Sith spirits. When Katarn offered him his fallen lightsaber in a final act of mercy, Jerec made one last attack and was struck down in the heart of the Valley.

Count Alex's Losses
11-01-2012, 04:58 AM
http://www.movieweb.com/news/luke-skywalker-may-return-in-star-wars-episode-7-mark-hamill-meets-with-george-lucas-and-carrie-fisher-about-the-new-trilogy

The news about Luke Skywalker appearing in this new trilogy as a 40 year old man comes from George Lucas biographer Dale Pollock, who was allowed to read the treatments from Episode 7 through Episode 12 while working with Lucas. In speaking with The Wrap, he spilled a bit about what he knows.

"It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies."

The writer, who had a falling out with George Lucas some years ago, is not able to say much more about the overall story of this proposed treatment that the creator of the franchise has been working on. He did mention that it revolves around Luke's later-in-life exploits, and that the Disney deal includes these 12 chapters in the Star Wars saga.

"They will need an older Luke Skywalker. [The new] Writers will absolutely take his outline. That's in part what Disney bought."

mdchiefsfan
11-01-2012, 05:54 AM
http://www.movieweb.com/news/luke-skywalker-may-return-in-star-wars-episode-7-mark-hamill-meets-with-george-lucas-and-carrie-fisher-about-the-new-trilogy

The news about Luke Skywalker appearing in this new trilogy as a 40 year old man comes from George Lucas biographer Dale Pollock, who was allowed to read the treatments from Episode 7 through Episode 12 while working with Lucas. In speaking with The Wrap, he spilled a bit about what he knows.

"It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies."

The writer, who had a falling out with George Lucas some years ago, is not able to say much more about the overall story of this proposed treatment that the creator of the franchise has been working on. He did mention that it revolves around Luke's later-in-life exploits, and that the Disney deal includes these 12 chapters in the Star Wars saga.

"They will need an older Luke Skywalker. [The new] Writers will absolutely take his outline. That's in part what Disney bought."

I don't know. I guess the writing wouldn't be bad, but I don't want Lucas having any hand in their productions.

ReynardMuldrake
11-01-2012, 07:31 AM
He can't act.

Are you kidding? He killed it as the animated Joker.

Also: Lucas writes some of the shittiest dialog known to man.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_gBWpWwIBKw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
It's amusing that Harrison Ford didn't come to lunch.

He hates Star Wars. LMAO

is that true or just a myth? Ford owes his career to Lucas. American Graffetti, Star Wars and Indy.

Swanman
11-01-2012, 08:37 AM

I first came to Hollywood alone and when walking around on the weekends, noticed newsstands everywhere. I just happened to stumble upon the first Zahn/Thrawn book in 1993 and purchased it. I've read that trilogy and his follow up dualities since but I could never get into the other authors much.

I really enjoyed the Republic Commando books, most were written by Karen Traviss. The Rogue Squadron series was also very entertaining.

Frazod
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Saw this on facebook :D

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/65379_10151041803286116_2138927051_n.jpg

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, this is a drag for those people wanting Blu-Ray editions of the original, unedited films.

----

Fox Still Owns The Original "Star Wars"

Ready for the first wrinkle in the Disney-Lucasfilm deal?

While Disney will own and release future films in the "Star Wars" series, the deal does NOT include the distribution rights to the pre-existing "Star Wars" films.

Those rights remain with 20th Century Fox. In fact, Fox owns distribution rights to the original 1977 "Star Wars" film in perpetuity in all media worldwide.

It also has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide to the other five films in the series through May 2020.

This means Disney can't issue a 'complete saga' set unless a deal with Fox is made. It also means fan hopes for quality Blu-ray editions of the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy are highly unlikely.

Fox also plans to still re-release the 3D versions of "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" next Fall.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Count Alex's Losses
11-01-2012, 01:59 PM
is that true or just a myth? Ford owes his career to Lucas. American Graffetti, Star Wars and Indy.

Very true. Star Wars embarrasses him. He thinks he's too good for it.

Deberg_1990
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Well, this is a drag for those people wanting Blu-Ray editions of the original, unedited films.

----

Fox Still Owns The Original "Star Wars"

Ready for the first wrinkle in the Disney-Lucasfilm deal?

While Disney will own and release future films in the "Star Wars" series, the deal does NOT include the distribution rights to the pre-existing "Star Wars" films.

Those rights remain with 20th Century Fox. In fact, Fox owns distribution rights to the original 1977 "Star Wars" film in perpetuity in all media worldwide.

It also has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide to the other five films in the series through May 2020.

This means Disney can't issue a 'complete saga' set unless a deal with Fox is made. It also means fan hopes for quality Blu-ray editions of the theatrical cuts of the original trilogy are highly unlikely.

Fox also plans to still re-release the 3D versions of "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" next Fall.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Meh.....no biggie to me. I actually like some of the updated effects and appreciate no matte lines on ships.

I wish they would cut the Greedo shoots first and Han/Jabba scene in Star Wars though, but i can live with it.

Mr. Laz
11-01-2012, 02:23 PM
more than likely Disney turns it into a commercialized pile of shit, but Lucas wasn't doing anything with it so i guess it can't be any worse.

Seems like Lucas pretty much hates the whole franchise

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Meh.....no biggie to me. I actually like some of the updated effects and appreciate no matte lines on ships.

I wish they would cut the Greedo shoots first and Han/Jabba scene in Star Wars though, but i can live with it.

Well, it's also interesting to note that Disney spent $4 BILLION and didn't even get the first six episodes.

They're really banking on their new productions to be extremely successful.

I'd expect some big name directors for the first few episodes (Speilberg, Brad Bird, Nolan, etc. type guys).

DaneMcCloud
11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
more than likely Disney turns it into a commercialized pile of shit, but Lucas wasn't doing anything with it so i guess it can't be any worse.

Seems like Lucas pretty much hates the whole franchise

How much more "commercialized" could Star Wars become? That's how Lucas made a majority of his income: Merchandising.

I don't think he hates it at all. He sold it to Disney because he believes it'll keep his legacy alive.

Every single production will say "Based on Characters Created By George Lucas".

Dartgod
11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
How much more "commercialized" could Star Wars become? That's how Lucas made a majority of his income: Merchandising.

I don't think he hates it at all. He sold it to Disney because he believes it'll keep his legacy alive.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IjEdWTk1l9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
This is one of the most powerful IPs the world has ever known.

LOL, try 127.0.0.1 being more powerful!

loochy
11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
LOL, try 127.0.0.1 being more powerful!

http://mlblogssfdiamondgirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/no-place-like-home.jpg

Mr. Laz
11-01-2012, 03:56 PM

oh it can become more commercialized, just wait.

I think he sold it to get everyone off his back ... and money of course.

You can hear the distaste and anger in his voice/words whenever he talks about it. He sounds like one of these actors who gets a great role early in their career and then never gets another shot because of it. They start wishing that they would of never gotten the big role in the first place.

Deberg_1990
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
OK...im down with Matthew Vaughn. IMO he hasnt made a bad film yet.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-matthew-vaughn/208715/#more-208715

Over the past seven years, Collider’s track record has been pretty good. The reason is, before we run any “scoop,” we always make sure to double source it so we know the information is accurate. However, the story we are about to run has not been confirmed, and I want to make sure everyone knows this is not 100%. I only decided to run this because I trust my sources and it’s Star Wars. In addition, while I spent all weekend trying to lock this story down, all my normal connections would not go on record (or they did not know), so this is going up as a “rumor” and “unconfirmed.”

Now that I’ve warned you this is just a “rumor”….

I’m hearing that Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, and X-Men: First Class, is in talks with Lucasfilm to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the X-Men sequel (which Bryan Singer is now directing). Hit the jump for more.

As most of you know, last week Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion dollars and they also announced a 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII. Seconds after the deal was announced, a bunch of interviews were released featuring Disney CEO Bob Iger and George Lucas talking about the business deal, and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Lucas discussing Star Wars: Episode VII and revealing that they’ve already met with writers for the new film. It was clear that this deal has been in the works for awhile.

As such, it makes a lot of sense that while we only just heard this news, behind-the-scenes Lucasfilm has been working hard to land a director to helm the new installment.

Now you have to ask yourself, why would Vaughn abruptly drop out of helming the X-Men sequel when the head of 20th Century Fox (Tom Rothman) is leaving the studio? After all, while Rothman helped make some great movies over the past few years, he’s also known as a micro-manager that can rub some filmmakers the wrong way. With Rothman out, I imagine Vaughn would have had more creative control on the sequel and it would have been an easier film to make.

But if Lucasfilm offered Vaughn the keys to Star Wars, that’s something he’d likely jump ship for.

While many of you might be wondering if Vaughn can handle directing a Star Wars movie, I really think he’s a great choice. After all, he made a fantastic X-Men movie that successfully rebooted the franchise, his work with a limited budget on Kick-Ass was also great, and Stardust proved he can make one hell of an adventure film.

In addition, Vaughn is a writer. He worked on the scripts for X-Men: First Class, The Debt, Stardust and Kick-Ass (with Jane Goldman) so if he ends up directing Star Wars, we’d also be getting someone that could solve script issues on set. It’d be great if he could convince Goldman to come onboard as well.

So is Vaughn lining up to direct the full new trilogy or just the first film? I have no idea. But I’d imagine if this deal does happen, it would be similar to the one Marc Webb has on Spider-Man, which is they’ll do it on a film by film basis, with the assumption that if the first film is a success and he wants to come back, he could.

Anyway, as I have already said many times, for now Vaughn directing Star Wars is just a “rumor.” I’d imagine after this posts, it’ll either be confirmed or it will blow up in my face. I’m hoping it’s true.

This is the most excited I’ve been for Star Wars since 1998 and I honestly cannot wait to see the new movie in 2015. What about you?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds good.

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
X-Men First Class was awesome.

That vibe in Star Wars would kick fucking ass.

And they also recast those parts perfectly.

In fact, shit, casting Fassbender as Luke Skywalker would be epic win.

Deberg_1990
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Layer Cake and Kick Ass were pretty freaking great as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM

with him at the helm it would be bordering on R rated material too

Count Alex's Losses
11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah Layer Cake is freaking amazing.

Daniel Craig got the Bond part because of that film.

This needs to happen.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Yes. Yes it would.

Deberg_1990
11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Harrison Ford open to returning as Han Solo? JIZZ IN MY PANTS!!!!!

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/05/star-wars-sequel-harrison-ford-han-solo-exclusive/

Harrison Ford is open to the idea of bringing Han Solo back to life on the silver screen in 2015, according to sources close to the just-announced Star Wars sequel, but don’t be surprised if his contract includes a mandatory death scene for the sly old space smuggler.

“Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he’s upbeat about it, all three of them are,” said one highly placed source, referring to Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher, the trio that made a hyper-speed jump to global fame on May 25, 1977, the opening night for George Lucas’s original Star Wars film.

The Hollywood trajectories of Hamill and Fisher led to reinvention — he’s now an in-demand voice actor; she used a gift for acerbic memoir to deliver Postcards from the Edge and Wishful Drinking. But Ford, who reached his 35th birthday in the summer of 1977, launched himself on a truly historic career run that synced up with the blockbuster bonanza of the 1980s. Ford’s star rose with The Fugitive, Air Force One, Clear and Present Danger, Presumed Innocent, Blade Runner, and of course, the four fedora films as a certain archaeologist named Henry “Indiana” Jones.

The actor, now 70, is plenty proud of Indy, Jack Ryan, John Book, and Dr. Richard Kimble but in the past he didn’t disguise his disdain for Solo. “As a character he was not so interesting to me,” the frosty Ford explained in an ABC interview in 2010.

The slippery Corellian pilot’s great talent is keeping himself alive, a skill that apparently extended beyond the screen. Solo’s death scene in early outlines for Episode VI: Return of the Jedi was scrapped, according to Ford and others, because the character was a

As Ford told ABC in the same interview: “I thought he should have died in the last one to give it some bottom…George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”

Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal, sees plenty of retail future with Star Wars sitting on the same corporate toy shelf as Marvel and Pixar, and they’ll certainly be offering a stellar payday to coax Ford to bring his star power back to role that started it all.

More than money, Ford might be drawn back by the upside of changes at Lucasfilm where the respected Kathleen Kennedy is taking over as company president, and with the Jedi franchise as a whole now that Kennedy is in as executive producer and Lucas will take on a consultant role, leaving the director’s chair for someone else.

Indeed, Ford won’t go to the next level of contract talks until there’s a script and director in place. Either could be a deal breaker. Still, at any stage, an “upbeat” signal from Ford on any Solo matter is enough to shock and excite fans who view Star Wars as something close to religion.

Solo, Luke Skywalker (Hamill), and Princess Leia (Fisher) appeared in two more films and when last we left them (in 1983’s Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) they were on the forest moon of Endor reflecting on the downfall (literally) of the Emperor and Darth Vader’s final act of redemption.

Now a new-look Lucasfilm — with Lucas moving into retirement and the Walt Disney Company taking over — plans to circle back with a new trilogy that picks up the story decades later and presumably uses the original trio to hand off the franchise to a new generation. (It’s a familiar approach; 2009’s Star Trek beamed Leonard Nimoy back aboard or 2010’s Tron: Legacy turned to Jeff Bridges to initiate the next cycle.)

Hamill told EW that he and Fisher heard about the idea when Lucas summoned them for a lunch in August, not long after both were onstage return guest at Star Wars Celebration VI, an official Lucasfilm event that drew tens of thousands of fans to Orlando. Many of those true believers are delirious about the new hope of a third trilogy but Hamill, 61, knows that some outsiders will roll their eyes.

“I can see both sides of it,” Hamill said. “Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material.”

In the 29 years since the red carpet premiere of Return of the Jedi, Ford has declined hundreds – if not thousands — of offers to appear at Star Wars events and cast reunions even the ones sanctioned and run by Lucasfilm. In fact, in all those years was only one offer he accepted: He attended a 30th anniversary screening of the The Empire Strikes Back in 2010 to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

About 400 fans (including Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, Jon Favreau, and Kevin Feige) paid $100-$175 each to hear Ford reflect on his Millennium Falcon days. I was the moderator for the event and the star arrived in a cheery mood but, after watching the film, he was weary of the crowd’s zeal for something he could never love.

“I don’t know that I understood it very well,” Ford said in a flat tone of the franchise’s ascension in popular culture. “I’m not sure I understand it yet…I was very happy to be involved. I was pleased to be a part of an ensemble.”

It was a bare-bones answer but still the crowd cheered and no one asked for a refund – everyone was just excited to see Ford back in the same theater as the Star Wars universe. That alone may be the Force that brings Ford and Solo back together for their date with destiny.

Count Alex's Losses
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Ford, stay the fuck away.

You're 10 years too late.

Frazod
11-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Ford, stay the fuck away.

You're 10 years too late.

How do you tell Harrison Ford no? You don't.

Simply Red
11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
3 out of 9 won't be bad :rolleyes:

Simply Red
11-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Layer Cake and Kick Ass were pretty freaking great as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

No offense, but I found Layer Cake just so, so.

Rausch
11-06-2012, 07:39 PM
How do you tell Harrison Ford no? You don't.

You don't have to.

You just quit asking him after he says it for the 200th time...

Tribal Warfare
11-08-2012, 11:20 PM
'Star Wars: Episode VII' May Be Written by the Guy Who Gave Us 'Toy Story 3' (http://www.movies.com/movie-news/michael-arndt-star-wars-episode-vii/10237?wssac=164&wssaffid=news&_r=true)
If you're tired of the nonstop Star Wars: Episode VII news, get used to it. This thing ain't going away anytime soon. Before there's casting and a director, there has to be a script -- and the first word on that front comes from Vulture, who claim Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) has written a 40-50 page treatment for Episode VII that's being strongly considered. While he's probably not the only well-known screenwriter slapping together a treatment -- we imagine Disney and Lucasfilm put the assignment out to a variety of writers hoping to get a bunch of different takes -- Arndt is a solid screenwriter (dude won an Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine), and we'll have to see if his take nabs him the job.

Meanwhile, Vulture -- one of many sites fighting for something, anything on the Star Wars front now that it's officially become the hottest project in town -- also claim the chosen treatment will cross the desks of a bunch of high-profile directors, like Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg (who we think will most definitely direct one installment in the new trilogy) and J.J. Abrams, among others. As previously reported, they also claim all parties are interested in Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford reprising their original roles, though no deals are in place yet. Naturally, we'll let you know when that changes.

Guru
11-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Lets just get this party started.

Deberg_1990
11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
hehe....this has the potential to be basically the greatest "Fan Fiction" film of all time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Midnite Vulture is writing the new script? SAH-WEET!

okoye35chiefs
11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
:harumph:

so the guys from Toy story 3 are helping write the script!

What are the chances Mickey has a camio with Yoda in the new movies?

durtyrute
11-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Disney is the debil

Garcia Bronco
11-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I'll still be interested un what time period they do.

Here's why...spoilers

At some point some of the main characters or their children die. I think if they really want to be badass, they'll do something around Ben Skywalker. That way Harrison and Mark Hamill could actually be in the movies

Chewbacca, Anakin Solo, Jacen Solo, and Mara Jade all die

Frosty
11-09-2012, 11:40 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/11/1/d5ahNWhJY0CDbKWJi-r13Q2.gif

Sorter
11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
http://i.somethingawful.com/u/garbageday/2012/phriday/disney_lucas/western_eyes_01.gif

Frazod
11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
It amazes me that anybody thinks Disney could actually fuck this up more than it's already fucked up. ANYTHING will be an improvement over the last three.

tk13
11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/toy-story-3-scribe-michael-arndt-likely-to-pen-star-wars-vii/

Apparently it's confirmed Arndt is writing the screenplay for the film.

People will go straight to Toy Story 3 obviously... but Little Miss Sunshine was a very well written film... and that was geared toward adults. I think it's a fantastic hire.

That article claims that sources believe the studio wants to bring back the Luke/Leia/Han trio... and especially Mark Hamill.

Guru
11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/toy-story-3-scribe-michael-arndt-likely-to-pen-star-wars-vii/

Apparently it's confirmed Arndt is writing the screenplay for the film.

People will go straight to Toy Story 3 obviously... but Little Miss Sunshine was a very well written film... and that was geared toward adults. I think it's a fantastic hire.

That article claims that sources believe the studio wants to bring back the Luke/Leia/Han trio... and especially Mark Hamill.

They would be crazy not to at this point.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
It amazes me that anybody thinks Disney could actually fuck this up more than it's already fucked up. ANYTHING will be an improvement over the last three.

That's like saying that ANYTHING would be an improvement over Carl and Herm.

tk13
11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
They would be crazy not to at this point.

I'm not opposed to the idea. This is at least a universe where they could make it work having the same people playing older versions of themselves... as opposed to something like Ghostbusters 3 where having the original guys train new people is basically a cash grab.

Guru
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
That's like saying that ANYTHING would be an improvement over Carl and Herm.

You just HAD to go there.

Amnorix
11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
If Q bite me.

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/oh-shit-moments-26.jpg?w=500&h=375

InChiefsHell
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Gonna have to put Carrie Fisher on a treadmill...otherwise, I dig the idea!

Deberg_1990
11-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I would be cool if they branched out and made some films that were "character centric" Kind of like how Marvel is doing.

Maybe a Boba Fett film, Chewbacca film, or a young Han Solo and Lando Calrissean film.

Expand the universe out. It doesnt always have to be about the Skywalkers and the Jedi.

Chazno
11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I would be cool if they branched out and made some films that were "character centric" Kind of like how Marvel is doing.

Maybe a Boba Fett film, Chewbacca film, or a young Han Solo and Lando Calrissean film.

Expand the universe out. It doesnt always have to be about the Skywalkers and the Jedi.

Are we going to start sub-titling Chewbaca... or would it be like an Apocolypto type thing, lol

okcchief
11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Gonna have to put Carrie Fisher on a treadmill...otherwise, I dig the idea!

That was my thought as well lol

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2012, 11:40 PM
This doesn't suck:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

Scribes Lawrence Kasdan ("The Empire Strikes Back," "Raiders of the Lost Ark") and Simon Kinberg ("Sherlock Holmes," "X-Men: Days of Future Past") have reportedly closed deals to pen the final two instalments of the new "Star Wars" trilogy at Disney Pictures.

The pair join Oscar winner Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3," "Little Miss Sunshine") who is writing the script for the upcoming "Episode VII," the first of a new trilogy of 'Wars' films being made without the hands-on input of creator George Lucas.

The division of whom will write Episode VIII and/or Episode IX has yet to be determined. Kasdan and Kinberg would also join the projects as producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy.

Disney and Lucasfilm are declining to comment at this time.

Count Alex's Losses
11-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Holy shit. Larry Kasdan. Boner.

BossChief
11-20-2012, 11:52 PM

They started something similar to this shortly after ROTJ with some made for TV flicks focusing on the Ewoks.

I liked "the battle for endor" but wasnt a big fan of the other one. Cant remember the name...
This doesn't suck:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459

Scribes Lawrence Kasdan ("The Empire Strikes Back," "Raiders of the Lost Ark") and Simon Kinberg ("Sherlock Holmes," "X-Men: Days of Future Past") have reportedly closed deals to pen the final two instalments of the new "Star Wars" trilogy at Disney Pictures.

The pair join Oscar winner Michael Arndt ("Toy Story 3," "Little Miss Sunshine") who is writing the script for the upcoming "Episode VII," the first of a new trilogy of 'Wars' films being made without the hands-on input of creator George Lucas.

The division of whom will write Episode VIII and/or Episode IX has yet to be determined. Kasdan and Kinberg would also join the projects as producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy.

Disney and Lucasfilm are declining to comment at this time.

Sounds like they are gonna try to do these right. Hopefully, they make us proud.

Deberg_1990
11-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Lawrence Kasdan sounds good and all......until you remember that he was good.....in 1988.

Setsuna
11-21-2012, 07:38 AM
They need to go back to events of SWTOR. I want to see Tython and Korriban and back when Dark and Light side wasn't so Black and White. And Revanites? Oh and the Mandalorian Wars too. AND the Infinite Empire! There is so much lore they would never run out of movie ideas. If they do individual movies, Revan must be one of them.

Guru
11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
They need to go back to events of SWTOR. I want to see Tython and Korriban and back when Dark and Light side wasn't so Black and White. And Revanites? Oh and the Mandalorian Wars too. AND the Infinite Empire! There is so much lore they would never run out of movie ideas. If they do individual movies, Revan must be one of them.

Calm down man. YOu sound like an overanxious kid in that post. LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
My ancient Carrie Fisher boner has reawakened...

Frazod
11-21-2012, 02:51 PM
My ancient Carrie Fisher boner has reawakened...

I'm guessing it hasn't seen any recent photos......

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Lawrence Kasdan sounds good and all......until you remember that he was good.....in 1988.

Well that's just GREAT.

Kathleen Kennedy and Disney hire the man responsible for the greatest Star Wars movie, EVER, and people will still bitch.

It's no wonder George Lucas sold Lucasfilm.

Donger
11-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Silverado with Lite Sabres?

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Silverado with Lite Sabres?

The Empire Strikes Back with old people.

The Poz
11-21-2012, 04:08 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357610/Darth-Vader-to-be-resurrected

DARTH VADER TO BE RESURRECTED

ICONIC space villain Darth Vader is to be brought back from the dead for a new trilogy of Star Wars films.

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/9/285x214/357610_1.jpg#David-Prowse

Following news that Disney has bought the rights to the lucrative sci-fi franchise and plans to make at least three more movies, industry insiders say the evil Vader will grace the big screen again.

“He’s an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible,” explains a film mole.

“The plan is for him to return and play a significant role in the new films.”

Former bodybuilder turned actor David Prowse donned the black body armour in the original three films but the character was voiced by James Earl Jones.

Actor Hayden Christensen, who starred in the subsequent Star Wars prequels, was the last actor to appear in the suit following his character Anakin Skywalker’s descent to the Dark Side.

Writer Michael Arndt is already working on the new Star Wars scripts.

Fellow old favourites Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia – played by Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher – have already been tipped to reprise their respective roles.

While Vader seemingly met his end in the 1983 film The Return Of The Jedi it seems this will not stop his comeback.

“This is science fiction remember,” we’re told. “Darth Vader will rise from the ashes.”

Bowser
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Uh, way to spoil the movie dumbasses.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Frazod
11-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Bringing an iconic science fiction character back from the dead is not logical.

http://www.deepfocusreview.com/reviews/images/startrekIII2.jpg

Oh wait....

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
That's different. It happened quickly enough and made complete sense.

This doesn't. Vader's story is over. He redeemed himself. What's he gonna do, join the Rebel Alliance?

Donger
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
So, bringing Vader back to life is such a stretch? I suppose Luke having a nice chat with dead Ben's ghost was what, completely believable?

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
So, bringing Vader back to life is such a stretch? I suppose Luke having a nice chat with dead Ben's ghost was what, completely believable?

No, that's completely different. It's not like Obi-Wan could pick up a lightsaber.

Vader should only be brought back as someone impersonating him, IMO.

Donger
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
No, that's completely different. It's not like Obi-Wan could pick up a lightsaber.

Vader should only be brought back as someone impersonating him, IMO.

My point is that clearly in the Star Wars world, life after death is not only a reality, but you can talk to the fuckers. I don't see why it's that huge a leap to have that ghost re-inserted into a body.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
My point is that clearly in the Star Wars world, life after death is not only a reality, but you can talk to the fuckers. I don't see why it's that huge a leap to have that ghost re-inserted into a body.

Because Vader's story is done. He redeemed himself. It's a terrible idea that basically shits on the drama of the original trilogy.

It's a cheap trick to generate a cool villain.

Frazod
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
That's different. It happened quickly enough and made complete sense.

This doesn't. Vader's story is over. He redeemed himself. What's he gonna do, join the Rebel Alliance?

Spock was killed off because Nimoy didn't want to do any more Star Trek movies. He was resurrected when they let Nimoy direct Star Trek III.

Donger
11-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Because Vader's story is done. He redeemed himself. It's a terrible idea that basically shits on the drama of the original trilogy.

I think you are putting the trilogy on a pedestal.

Dicky McElephant
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Like they were going to give up the marketing money they can make on Vader merchandise.

Frazod
11-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Hey, it's not a direction I'd take the story, but I wasn't consulted. At this point, I'm convinced that anything they do to the story going forward will be an improvement over the last three abortions.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Not really. It's the most significant IP of all time.

Dallas Chief
11-21-2012, 04:57 PM

What else have we got at this point? The Clone Wars cartoon?:evil:

Setsuna
11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
WTF? Vader better be like a lingering specter.....never mind fuck that shit. DO NOT WANT! :cuss:

BossChief
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
I always thought that Luke was gonna go to the dark side after Vader dies in ROTJ if there were gonna be more movies and that Leia would represent the light side of the force.

They were always making a big deal out of white = good guy Black = bad guy and towards the end of ROTJ, Luke started wearing a black suit.

I wonder if that is the direction they are headed with reincarnating Darth Vadar...I know that would be against how the books tell the follow up, but they have already said that they are going after a totally new story line.

I mean, they really cant trot the current Mark Hammill out there as a live action actor playing Luke, can they?

I can see them killing off Luke towards the beginning of the next movie and making him the next Vadar and throwing a huge spin into the plot.

Not saying thats the direction they should go, it would piss off a lot of SW fans, but there had to be a reason that Lucas chose to have Luke wear Black in those final scenes.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
The only reason he was wearing black was to show how he was heading down the same path as Anakin Skywalker.

But, the Dark Empire comic book does explore Luke turning to the dark side under the resurrected Emperor.

http://images.darkhorse.com/darkhorse//downloads/desktops/swdarkempire1/swdarkempire1_400.jpg

okoye35chiefs
11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
http://dizwiz.com/albums/wallpaper/Mickey_and_Yoda_battle_Vader.sized.jpg

this is what we have to look forward to.. along with a few princess songs

Bowser
11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Doesn't Luke flirt with the Dark Side in the Thrawn storyline, as well?

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Doesn't Luke flirt with the Dark Side in the Thrawn storyline, as well?

I don't believe so. The plot is all focused around Luke trying to destroy the clone of the Dark Jedi Joruus C'Baoth.

Though Skywalker was skeptical that a Jedi had not only survived the Great Jedi Purge, but not aided the Rebel Alliance, or even revealed himself after Palpatine's death, he eventually went to Jomark. There, he met C'baoth, who proclaimed himself to be a Jedi Master. He began training Skywalker, teaching him many things contrary to what Yoda, Skywalker's former teacher, had taught the young Jedi. C'baoth taught Skywalker that Jedi were superior to others, and should use their power to govern inferiors. He also taught him that Jedi should use force and pain as teachers to keep non Force-sensitives under control.[7] All this went against what the Jedi had taught for millennia prior to the fall of the Jedi Order.[11] Skywalker recognized that C'baoth was insane and also a practitioner of the dark side of the Force, and attempted to cure him and turn him back to the light. However, he found that C'baoth's madness was too great a hurdle to overcome.[8]

Chiefspants
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Darth Vader can be more than just a man. A man is just flesh and blood and can be ignored or destroyed. But as a symbol... Darth Vader can be more, he can be everlasting.

Bowser
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't believe so. The plot is all focused around Luke trying to destroy the clone of the Dark Jedi Joruus C'Baoth.

Maybe that was what I was thinking. This form of the Force C'Boath was teaching made Luke feel powerful, but wrong, leading Luke ultimately to take on C'Boath.

It's been a LONG time since I've read those novels.

BossChief
11-21-2012, 06:15 PM
The only reason he was wearing black was to show how he was heading down the same path as Anakin Skywalker.

But, the Dark Empire comic book does explore Luke turning to the dark side under the resurrected Emperor.

http://images.darkhorse.com/darkhorse//downloads/desktops/swdarkempire1/swdarkempire1_400.jpg

IMO GL was always building towards a Luke = Darkside Leia = light side of the force.

The test in the cave where he cut off his own/DVs head...the black suit...the obvious anger issues he was constantly battling.

they also talked a lot about "balance to the force" and how Luke and Leia were the last two hopeful Jedis (after Anakin/Darth dies)

I guess I always assumed that the balance was that one would end up good and one would end up bad and that the subtle plot points he added to Lukes character was always setting up for him to take a role on the darkside.

Interesting that a comic would go that route...are those stories by GL or someone else that George sold the rights to in some way?

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Those came out in the mid 90s with the blessing of Lucas.

Dark Horse published a ton of Star Wars comics.

Mr. Laz
11-21-2012, 06:30 PM
<header style="display: block; position: relative; z-index: 0; padding: 0px 20px 25px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb(221, 221, 221); color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 16.799999237060547px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">'Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' writer hired for new 'Star Wars' trilogy

By T.C. Sottek (http://www.theverge.com/users/tcsottek) on <time class="updated" datetime="2012-11-21 22:44:23+0000" pubdate="">November 21, 2012 05:44 pm</time> http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/verge/icons/email.v467274f.png Email (tc@theverge.com) http://cdn0.sbnation.com/images/verge/icons/larry.v328130b.png @LaughingStoic (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=LaughingStoic)34COMMENTS
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/7266619/empire_strikes_back_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
</header>
According to The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-simon-393459), writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have agreed to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, and they will write eitherEpisode 8 or Episode 9. Kasdan's already got some seriouscredentials under his belt: he previously co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kasdan's counterpart Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes, and Jumper. The Hollywood Reporter says that the writers' exact responsibilities haven't been determined yet, and it's unclear if the duo will take on both movies. Regardless, it's exciting news for Star Wars fans who hold the original trilogy in high regard.
The new Star Wars trilogy resulted from the Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm (http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3577656/disney-buys-lucasfilm-plans-to-release-star-wars-episode-7-in-2015), announced back in October. Disney plans to release the first of the new trilogy, Star Wars: Episode 7, sometime in 2015. That film will be written by Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt (http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/9/3625562/lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-7-michael-arndt).

[/color]

BossChief
11-21-2012, 06:30 PM
The suit on that comic cover is eerily reminiscent of the Vadar costume...without the helmet...I bet Mark Hamill is on a treadmill and taking a bunch of "supplements" right now trying to drop weight for a half hour of screen time before a big scene where he is terminally injured and is saved in the same way they saved Anakin.

If they are gonna try to get Darth Vadar into the new generation of flicks, that's the most logical way to do so.

Count Alex's Losses
11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
That would be total fanboy service. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
If that report is true (and I won't believe it until it comes from a credible source), the idea sounds absolutely horrible.

It sounds like they took the old Supershadow Episode 7 nonsense and published it (Vader was cloned from his hand and resurrected).

BossChief
11-21-2012, 07:05 PM
If that report is true (and I won't believe it until it comes from a credible source), the idea sounds absolutely horrible.

It sounds like they took the old Supershadow Episode 7 nonsense and published it (Vader was cloned from his hand and resurrected).

OH, HELLZ no.

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm officially calling bullshit on this rumor.

Deadline Hollywood isn't reporting it, nor is any other "insider".

cabletech94
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand

this sentence alone, should scare every person who has ever watched any SW film.
to death.

RINGLEADER
11-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Get ready for Gore...

whoman69
11-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't think that the writers are going to feel the need to stay close to any plotlines developed in books any more than Star Trek writers do.

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Get ready for Gore...

Verbinski?

DaneMcCloud
11-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't think that the writers are going to feel the need to stay close to any plotlines developed in books any more than Star Trek writers do.

Lucas provided the story line for 7-9 but Disney has hired other writers for the screenplays.

So once again, the credits will read "Story by George Lucas".

JASONSAUTO
11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Get ready for Gore...

This isn't the global warming thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
11-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Just watched a documentary on Walt. Best 2 hours I have had all week.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm guessing it hasn't seen any recent photos......

Hence, the "ancient" reference.

Agree. This is NOT good if true. SS' take on EPI III was pure shit.

Setsuna
11-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Vader wouldn't be able to stand in true Sith Lords' presences of old. He'd get swatted away like a fly. Bring a new villain that obviously rivals that poser.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
And now, we're off! This is GREAT news, IMO. Darth Vader can live on the big screen once again without the need for Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill. Also, I'm hearing that Matthew Vaughn is almost locked for the next movie. We'll see...

------------------

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/post-george-lucas-star-wars-394910

Star Wars: How Writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg Will Expand the Galaxy

Sources tell THR that each will write separate projects, not necessarily "Episode 8" and "Episode 9" -- a plan similar to Marvel's movies around "The Avengers."

The post-George Lucas Star Wars universe slowly is taking shape. Soon after it was announced Oct. 30 that Disney would acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, it was revealed that Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) had written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the new trilogy and would be writing the script for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Then reports emerged the week of Nov. 19 that The Empire Strikes Back’s Lawrence Kasdan (CAA, Greenberg Glusker) and Sherlock Holmes’ Simon Kinberg (CAA, Jackoway Tyerman) would be writing and producing Episode VIII and Episode IX, even as Disney and Lucasfilm refused to confirm their top-secret plans.

But now insiders tell THR that while Kasdan and Kinberg indeed have been hired to work on the Star Wars franchise, they will be writing separate projects (hence the reason why they also would receive producer credits), not necessarily Episode VIII and Episode IX.

Their scripts could turn into official “Episodes” in the main Skywalker storyline, or they could form the basis for spinoffs focusing on side characters. Disney CEO Robert Iger said the goal is to release a Star Wars movie “every two to three years,” and some could focus on other pieces of the expansive mythos (similar to Marvel’s Avengers universe). Disney and Lucasfilm declined comment.

BossChief
11-28-2012, 04:39 PM
As long as they don't sacrifice quality for quantity, this is fantastic news.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:44 PM
As long as they don't sacrifice quality for quantity, this is fantastic news.

There is an opportunity for Kasdan to create new episodes with Darth Vader as the main character between Episodes Four and Six.

Whether he uses storylines from the EU (Black Sun, in particular) or creates a whole new story arc involving hunting down any and all of the remaining Jedi, there could be an incredibly cool new trilogy set in that time period.

I trust Disney not to fuck this up.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
They should just shoot Shadows of the Empire. Set between ESB and ROTJ. Great fucking story.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Shadows_of_the_empire_bookcover.jpg

Guru
11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
They should just shoot Shadows of the Empire. Set between ESB and ROTJ. Great ****ing story.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Shadows_of_the_empire_bookcover.jpg

Yeah but then you have to replace actors and a lot of die hards won't like that and will compare them into oblivion.

BossChief
11-28-2012, 04:49 PM
How about the sub plots between 3 and 4?

I have a feeling Disney is gonna knock it out of the park and we will be wondering why the move didn't happen much sooner.

Count Alex's Losses
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah movies set between 3 and 4 would be awesome, too.

Show the Empire building. You can even cast Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor again. More Vader, with lots of James Earl Jones. Fuck it, throw in a cameo for Ewan McCregor with some scenes of him whackin' it on Tatooine.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah movies set between 3 and 4 would be awesome, too.

Show the Empire building. You can even cast Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor again. More Vader, with lots of James Earl Jones.

I think there is plenty of opportunity in the Star Wars universe for Vader, the Emperor, the Imperial Army, Corellia and so on.

But with that said, it would be just as easy to not include Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia and Luke but still have it kick major ass.

IMO, they should open up new avenues and not re-hash the same characters over and over. It's a large galaxy that needs exploring.

BossChief
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
My StarWars boner is growing with every new development...I trust they aren't building towards a big letdown, too much investment at this point.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:55 PM
My StarWars boner is growing with every new development...I trust they aren't building towards a big letdown, too much investment at this point.

I don't think they spent $4 billion dollars, just to fuck it up.

The Star Wars universe has been ripe for continuing adventures since "Return of the Jedi" wrapped in 1983. With CGI as it is today, there's no reason why it shouldn't be exploited for decades.

BossChief
11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
I think there is plenty of opportunity in the Star Wars universe for Vader, the Emperor, the Imperial Army, Corellia and so on.

But with that said, it would be just as easy to not include Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia and Luke but still have it kick major ass.

IMO, they should open up new avenues and not re-hash the same characters over and over. It's a large galaxy that needs exploring.

Nothing wrong with working the old characters and plotlines into new stories. As long as it's done tastefully because the way it's done will be debated for a long time...just no more disappointments, please.

Frosty
11-28-2012, 04:57 PM

They need more Wookies. There is a Wookie Jedi in the Clone Wars cartoon. That would be awesome. /fanboi