PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

BossChief
11-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think they spent $4 billion dollars, just to fuck it up.

The Star Wars universe has been ripe for continuing adventures since "Return of the Jedi" wrapped in 1983. With CGI as it is today, there's no reason why it shouldn't be exploited for decades.

I might be in the minority here, but I hope they try to do less cgi and more costume design...though cgi had advanced quite a bit since 1-3.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Nothing wrong with working the old characters and plotlines into new stories. As long as it's done tastefully because the way it's done will be debated for a long time...just no more disappointments, please.

I think they need to first create some "goodwill" with the audience by producing films that explore more of the Star Wars Universe, even if they're set between 4 & 6.

I think that recasting Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker would be a major mistake at this point. That would feel more like a "reboot", which really isn't necessary.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I might be in the minority here, but I hope they try to do less cgi and more costume design...though cgi had advanced quite a bit since 1-3.

Well, in order to create new and exciting worlds (like Avatar did, for example), CGI will be absolutely necessary.

I'm just happy it's out of George's hands. Everything seemed too familiar, which is silly in a scope of a huge galaxy.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 04:44 PM
They need more Wookies. There is a Wookie Jedi in the Clone Wars cartoon. That would be awesome. /fanboi

There is a wookie Jedi in some of the Outcast series books. The name escapes me at the moment.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Vader wouldn't be able to stand in true Sith Lords' presences of old. He'd get swatted away like a fly. Bring a new villain that obviously rivals that poser.

If they're smart...they'll use Darth Bane and go 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 04:52 PM
If that report is true (and I won't believe it until it comes from a credible source), the idea sounds absolutely horrible.

It sounds like they took the old Supershadow Episode 7 nonsense and published it (Vader was cloned from his hand and resurrected).

That doesn't work at all, because if they cloned him...the clone wouldn't be his broken body.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
That doesn't work at all, because if they cloned him...the clone wouldn't be his broken body.

SuperShadow is a joke

keg in kc
11-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, in order to create new and exciting worlds (like Avatar did, for example), CGI will be absolutely necessary.

I'm just happy it's out of George's hands. Everything seemed too familiar, which is silly in a scope of a huge galaxy.I would say the problem with those movies wasn't the universe, or the CGI, it was the scripting, acting and direction. Which would be why I'm also thrilled it's out of George's hands.

DrunkBassGuitar
11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
I would say the problem with those movies wasn't the universe, or the CGI, it was the scripting, acting and direction. Which would be why I'm also thrilled it's out of George's hands.

Yeah, this.

Star wars was always pretty silly, but the original trilogy works, because they work as movies. They have things like character development plots that make sense (Why would a trade federation want to block trade?). Dialog that while is cheesy, at least has some charm. Han Solo saying "I know." when Leia says she loves him is a million times better than Anakin and Padme's "I love you more...No I LOVE YOU MORE" horseshit. George Lucas was extremely lucky, most of all because he had people that would tell him when his ideas sucked. Without that, you got the prequel trilogy. There's plenty of directors who grew up loving star wars, who will want to make a great movie and not just cash in.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
There's plenty of directors who grew up loving star wars, who will want to make a great movie and not just cash in.

To date, it's actually been the opposite: No one wants to touch it.

Matthew Vaughn is like tenth choice. He'll do fine, but I doubt anyone of note will want to direct until the new tone has been established.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 07:20 PM
WTF? Vader better be like a lingering specter.....never mind **** that shit. DO NOT WANT! :cuss:

When Vader is redeemed he becomes one with the force and his spirit is preserved of Anakin. The specter is present in the novel 'Truce At Bakura'

As well as in RoTJ

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, this.

Star wars was always pretty silly, but the original trilogy works, because they work as movies. They have things like character development plots that make sense (Why would a trade federation want to block trade?). Dialog that while is cheesy, at least has some charm. Han Solo saying "I know." when Leia says she loves him is a million times better than Anakin and Padme's "I love you more...No I LOVE YOU MORE" horseshit. George Lucas was extremely lucky, most of all because he had people that would tell him when his ideas sucked. Without that, you got the prequel trilogy. There's plenty of directors who grew up loving star wars, who will want to make a great movie and not just cash in.

Read Darth Plagueis and you'll find out exactly why the Trade Fedration was blocking trade to Naboo. Great fucking book

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Read Darth Plagueis and you'll find out exactly why the Trade Fedration was blocking trade to Naboo. Great fucking book

The EU is not canon.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
The EU is not canon.

I don't think that is true. Either way I would expect some variance, but I would not expect a complete distortion of the timeline and events. Otherwise there is a large portion of the franchise that falls to dust.

Darth Plagueis in particular fits snug against the Phantom Menace and about completely explains how Darth Sidious comes to be.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't think that is true. Either way I would expect some variance, but I would not expect a complete distortion of the timeline and events. Otherwise there is a large portion of the franchise that falls to dust.

Darth Plagueis in particular fits snug against the Phantom Menace and about completely explains how Darth Sidious comes to be.

Dude, it's completely true. The EU is not canon.

Lucas has already confirmed that the next trilogy has nothing to do with the EU.

It his story, BTW. Not Thrawn or Jedi Academy, etc.

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Dude, it's completely true. The EU is not canon.

Lucas has already confirmed that the next trilogy has nothing to do with the EU.

It his story, BTW. Not Thrawn or Jedi Academy, etc.

It still has to fit in somewhere in the timeline he's allowed to be created. He's also said in the past that the the story of the Skywalkers is over, and he also said that there would never be an Episode 7.

DaneMcCloud
11-28-2012, 08:06 PM
It still has to fit in somewhere in the timeline he's allowed to be created.

That's why it's the Expanded Universe.

Anything that happens outside of the movies and Clone Wars cartoon is not canon.

He's also said in the past that the the story of the Skywalkers is over, and he also said that there would never be an Episode 7.

Well, Disney bought Lucasfilm and the rights to the those characters, so they can do whatever they'd like with them.

The bottom line is that the books, comics, games, etc. are not canon and should not be treated as such.

Continuity is different than canon.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Meh. They should just CG-treat the old farts and go with the kids/Legacy era.

Seeing Vader is always good, but.....

Setsuna
11-29-2012, 08:20 PM
If they're smart...they'll use Darth Bane and go 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin.
Thank you! :rockon: In our lifetime though please.

When Vader is redeemed he becomes one with the force and his spirit is preserved of Anakin. The specter is present in the novel 'Truce At Bakura'

As well as in RoTJ
Wow. I don't know anything about Star Wars outside of SWTOR. I'm terrible at this. Teach me Garcia! :grovel:

Garcia Bronco
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you! :rockon: In our lifetime though please.

Wow. I don't know anything about Star Wars outside of SWTOR. I'm terrible at this. Teach me Garcia! :grovel:

I've read about 40 of the novels. I used to hate reading books, but using these got me started and now I read a great deal.

I really recommend the Darth Bane books, All the Zahn books, Shatterpoint(Mace Windu), Darth Plageuis, Revan, Dark Lord Rising, Death Star, and the Kevin J Anderson books.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 12:16 AM
JFC I wonder how much Lucas got just by signing off on letting people write books with the StarWars brand on them.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 12:21 AM
JFC I wonder how much Lucas got just by signing off on letting people write books with the StarWars brand on them.

Well, that's the thing: He basically signed off and let the authors do as they chose. There was a novel division of Lucasfilm that basically helped to formulate the EU, but even those guys fucked up.

Timothy Zahn was very vocal at one point about how "crazy" the EU had become and tried to "reel it back in", as it were, with some of his novels.

The bottom line is that if it didn't happen in the movies or the Clone Wars series, it didn't happen.

Disney and the writer's they've hired have absolutely no obligation to the EU, whatsoever. And according to George, who's been quoted on several occasions, it's more of a "Parallel Universe" than it is the real Star Wars universe.

Don't expect anything from those novels to show up in future Star Wars movies, except for maybe a planet name or reference here or there, if that.

Simply Red
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
I expect a full & all out rapid-fire turd shelling from the Disney collective anus with the addition of any more episodes.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
Well, that's the thing: He basically signed off and let the authors do as they chose. There was a novel division of Lucasfilm that basically helped to formulate the EU, but even those guys fucked up.

Timothy Zahn was very vocal at one point about how "crazy" the EU had become and tried to "reel it back in", as it were, with some of his novels.

The bottom line is that if it didn't happen in the movies or the Clone Wars series, it didn't happen.

Disney and the writer's they've hired have absolutely no obligation to the EU, whatsoever. And according to George, who's been quoted on several occasions, it's more of a "Parallel Universe" than it is the real Star Wars universe.

Don't expect anything from those novels to show up in future Star Wars movies, except for maybe a planet name or reference here or there, if that.

TBH I never knew there were more than 5 or 6 Star Wars books...I'm shocked to hear there are more than 40.

Any idea how much George got for each "blessing"?

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 12:54 AM
TBH I never knew there were more than 5 or 6 Star Wars books...I'm shocked to hear there are more than 40.

Any idea how much George got for each "blessing"?

This is difficult to answer quickly.

George Lucas, for all of his faults, not only re-energized the Hollywood film making community, he created the summer blockbuster and changed film making forever.

Not only did he demand merchandising rights, he retained a much higher percentage of the box office gross than anyone film maker before him. The merchandising rights to the Star Wars toys earned him an unprecedented amount of money, which he in turn, funded other ventures.

He's an editor at heart. He funded and was responsible for the first digital editing system, which he called "Droid". Because he was so heartbroken of the failure of his marriage and unable to think or work (and subsequently allowed his film school teacher to direct "The Empire Strikes Back" and another friend to direct that piece of fucking shit "Return of the Jedi"), he sold his idea and program to a couple of guys that turned that program into AVID, which for more than 20 years, was THE digital editing standard.

Later, he created a division of Lucasfilm that was dedicated to animation only. But he was convinced by his friend Steve Jobs that it could do better elsewhere, so he sold Pixar to Jobs for $10 million.

I could go on and on and on about George but the bottom line is that the last thing that he ever thinks about is money, especially the money he's earning from dopey novelizations of a universe he created 40 years ago.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 01:05 AM
TBH I never knew there were more than 5 or 6 Star Wars books...

LMAO

Dude, it's arguably the most successful IP in the last 40 years...only Star Trek comes close...maybe it's 2nd to Star Trek, hard to say in the end.

They both churn out books by the truckload every year. For both age groups.

Don't get me started on comic books...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 01:07 AM
LMAO

Dude, it's arguably the most successful IP in the last 40 years...only Star Trek comes close...maybe it's 2nd to Star Trek, hard to say in the end.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's been nearly a decade since I even dabbled in the EU but honestly, 90% of it was complete and utter ridiculous bullshit.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 01:15 AM
It's been nearly a decade since I even dabbled in the EU but honestly, 90% of it was complete and utter ridiculous bullshit.

Depends on what you like to read.

For my money anything by Kevin J Anderson was a hoot to read.

Nothing like Kyp Durron destroying a Star Destroyer by ramming his invincible starship through the middle of it. LMAO

Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina were lots of fun too. And any book about Boba Fett. :p

BossChief
11-30-2012, 01:22 AM
LMAO

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I dont own the plans for the deathstar or know how to build a lightsaber, but the original StarWars movies are permanently part of me because they were partially responsible for "opening my mind" for lack of a better term.

Thats why I am kinda shocked how many books there have been written.
Its a shame that George didnt decide to sell the brand after he decided he wasnt gonna make the last 3 of the original 9 movies.

Shit, its probably a shame he didnt just hand off the second trilogy other others because for the most part, they were terrible.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 01:24 AM
The number of books is insane. I have read maybe 10 percent of these.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

BossChief
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Depends on what you like to read.

For my money anything by Kevin J Anderson was a hoot to read.

Nothing like Kyp Durron destroying a Star Destroyer by ramming his invincible starship through the middle of it. LMAO

Tales from Jabba's Palace and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina were lots of fun too. And any book about Boba Fett. :p

Would you be so kind as to share some things from the books that relate to the original story line of 4-6?

Someone told me that Leia and Han get married and have twins...what happens to Luke?...how about Chewbacca after Han gets married?

Or, are there a specific set of books that are based on the follow up? (I dont care if you give me the book names and give me part of the plot line, too...it wont ruin it for me or anything)

Guru
11-30-2012, 01:31 AM
Would you be so kind as to share some things from the books that relate to the original story line of 4-6?

Someone told me that Leia and Han get married and have twins...what happens to Luke?...how about Chewbacca after Han gets married?

Or, are there a specific set of books that are based on the follow up? (I dont care if you give me the book names and give me part of the plot line, too...it wont ruin it for me or anything)

Timothy Zahn

Books in the series

Heir to the Empire, 1991 (ISBN 0-553-40471-7)
Dark Force Rising, 1992 (ISBN 0-553-08574-3)
The Last Command, 1993 (ISBN 0-553-56492-7)

BossChief
11-30-2012, 01:32 AM
The number of books is insane. I have read maybe 10 percent of these.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

HOLY SHIT.

That's like a few hundred books.

WOW.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Timothy Zahn

Books in the series

Heir to the Empire, 1991 (ISBN 0-553-40471-7)
Dark Force Rising, 1992 (ISBN 0-553-08574-3)
The Last Command, 1993 (ISBN 0-553-56492-7)

These are what George was originally gonna do 7-9 with...or just an independent view of the StarWars universe?

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 01:36 AM

Luke tries to rebuild the Jedi Order and is less and less involved in the Rebellion, which becomes The New Republic.

Han and Leia are basically the leaders of the New Republic. Chewbacca still tags along and is like the family protector.

The initial threat right after ROTJ is the stragglers from The Empire reuniting under one incredibly smart and insightful general who names himself Grand Admiral. His battle tactics give The New Republic a lot of trouble. There's also a sideplot with Luke, an insane Dark Jedi clone and Mara Jade, who was previously like a half Dark Jedi/half spy under Palpatine.

There's some cool stuff where Luke is starting the new Jedi Academy and one of his pupils turns to the darkside.

There's a really weird book where Luke almost gets turned into a robot.

Later on, with the New Republic firmly in control of Coruscant and the galaxy, an outside threat emerges. A bunch of aliens who basically are immune to the force and have all this bio-technology that's really weird.

The best storyline by far, IMO, is still the Dark Empire comics. The stuff with the reborn Emperor and Luke turning to the darkside, only to have his sister save him, is awesome shit.

Some of the later books are about Han and Leia's kids becoming Jedi. One of them goes bad.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
HOLY SHIT.

That's like a few hundred books.

WOW.

That are absolutely irrelevant

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 01:39 AM
These are what George was originally gonna do 7-9 with...or just an independent view of the StarWars universe?

Independent. Unrelated.

There was never a 7-9 trilogy mapped out, regardless of what you read.

The original Star Wars series was nine episodes. Luke & Leia weren't related. Many things were very different but since the iron was "hot", Lucas, Fox and a team of writers condensed everything into three movies.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 01:39 AM
That are absolutely irrelevant

In the end it's all a big movie playing in my head.

If you are gonna read any of these Boss, read Shadows of the Empire. It's set between ESB and ROTJ. There's a funny chapter where C-3P0 flies the Falcon on Coruscant. :LOL:

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 01:42 AM
In the end it's all a big movie playing in my head.

If you are gonna read any of these Boss, read Shadows of the Empire. It's set between ESB and ROTJ. There's a funny chapter where C-3P0 flies the Falcon on Coruscant. :LOL:

I agree. I think "Shadows" was cool, as was the first Zahn trilogy, outside of the ridiculous ysalamiri.

That pretty much ruined it for me. Thankfully, he, IIRC, didn't revisit that in his future novels.

With all due respect, I thought the Kevin J. Anderson novels were crap.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Will do...Ill have to check it out tomorrow to see if I can download them to my Iphone with Ibooks to read in between jobs or when I'm on the plane...or If I have to buy them in paper form only.

A few people have commented on the "thrawn" books...worth the read, or totally irrelevant in every way possible?

Thanks for the info, guys.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Will do...Ill have to check it out tomorrow to see if I can download them to my Iphone with Ibooks to read in between jobs or when I'm on the plane...or If I have to buy them in paper form only.

A few people have commented on the "thrawn" books...worth the read, or totally irrelevant in every way possible?

I wouldn't bother. Those books were have no influence on the new movies. It's not like a line of comic books that were "canon" to a particular superhero. Plus, they're really not that good and very dated.

The EU came into being because Lucasfilm saw a way to appease fans of the Star Wars universe but as George has said time again, it's a "different" universe than his Star Wars universe.

I expect Kathleen Kennedy to adopt the same attitude towards the EU. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, elements or movies "based on" Zahn's work might appear, but in all honesty, I doubt it.

Guru
11-30-2012, 02:04 AM

They are irrelevant to the current universe but they are absolutely worth the read.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 02:09 AM
The ysalamiri were a great plot device to throw a monkey wrench into the force.

Personally I loved it.

Count Zarth
11-30-2012, 02:10 AM
With all due respect, I thought the Kevin J. Anderson novels were crap.

A lot of people do. I'm not hard to please I guess. Of course I haven't read them since I was 16. :LOL:

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:15 AM
They are irrelevant to the current universe but they are absolutely worth the read.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you re-read those first three books, you'd be enormously disappointed.

The premise was kind of cool, but he execution was lame. I think they were popular because they were the first licensed Star Wars books, ever.

Zahn's writing definitely improved over the years but that first trilogy was enormously disappointing on a second look.

Plus, Thrawn was a dumb adversary. At first, he figured out absolutely everything and was unbeatable. He was a military genius and was steps ahead of everyone. But he couldn't figure out that the people closest to him wanted him dead? His death was somehow a shock?

Plus, an excavated mountain filled with the Empire's treasures? Clones wanting to raise families? Silly nonsense.

Guru
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you re-read those first three books, you'd be enormously disappointed.

The premise was kind of cool, but he execution was lame. I think they were popular because they were the first licensed Star Wars books, ever.

Zahn's writing definitely improved over the years but that first trilogy was enormously disappointing on a second look.

Plus, Thrawn was a dumb adversary. At first, he figured out absolutely everything and was unbeatable. He was a military genius and was steps ahead of everyone. But he couldn't figure out that the people closest to him wanted him dead? His death was somehow a shock?

Plus, an excavated mountain filled with the Empire's treasures? Clones wanting to raise families? Silly nonsense.

Maybe. Maybe not. When I read them I loved them. I haven't felt a need to go back and reread them. But I would still recommend reading them if you are a star wars fan at all.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
The ysalamiri were a great plot device to throw a monkey wrench into the force.

Personally I loved it.

It was fucking retarded.

You have this wondrous galaxy that Lucas initially created in which there was this spiritual "Force" anyone could tap into, if they believed, which gave them super human power. The Force was all that was good in the universe.

So, what's the happens in the very first Lucasfilm sanctioned novels? Some jackass writes in a new species that negates the power of the Force. Negates it. Can't feel it. Can't get in touch with it. Basically, he created Kryptonite for Jedi and Force users.

That was BEYOND fucking stupid. BEYOND.

Hence, new screenwriters and a new set of adventures in the Star Wars galaxy.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Maybe. Maybe not. When I read them I loved them. I haven't felt a need to go back and reread them. But I would still recommend reading them if you are a star wars fan at all.

If you re-read them, you'd laugh your ass off at the stupidty and weak writing.

I tried to read them again while on vacation in Mexico back in like 2002/2003 and threw them in the trash.

They were just ridiculously bad.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 02:35 AM
So, when they release the 3D versions soon (are the dates available for those?) of the previously released movies, are those gonna be paid to Disney, or being they were already done they are Georges money?

I would guess that's gonna be Disney money, right?

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm walking around with my feather-boa ysalmiri on.

You can't touch me, Jedi. Or Emperor. Or anyone else that has Force powers.

Feather-Boa Ysalamiri. I'm a Star Wars pimp.

Dumbest fucking shit ever.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:36 AM
So, when they release the 3D versions soon (are the dates available for those?) of the previously released movies, are those gonna be paid to Disney, or being they were already done they are Georges money?

I would guess that's gonna be Disney money, right?

Fox retains the rights to all previous six films.

Disney purchased future rights, including merch.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Its silly that George would sign off on aspects like that and makes it even less surprising that part of Disneys concerns were that they would have full creative control and wouldn't need to stick to an of those storylines.

With that many books, it would be nearly impossible to not step on someones feet.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 02:41 AM
Fox retains the rights to all previous six films.

Disney purchased future rights, including merch.

So the 4B bought them creative control of the StarWars brand going forward, but not previously done work?

Interesting.

They must be planning on consistently making new films every couple years, forever.

I bet they make that back on the next trilogy, though...after the box office, bluray and merchandising is all tallied up.

Everything else will be profit.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Its silly that George would sign off on aspects like that and makes it even less surprising that part of Disneys concerns were that they would have full creative control and wouldn't need to stick to an of those storylines.

With that many books, it would be nearly impossible to not step on someones feet.

George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney. His close friend, Kathleen Kennedy, who had been running Lucasfilm for years, is still the head of Lucasfilm.

He was paid $4 billion dollars. $4 billion.

Disney purchased Lucasfilm, which includes the IP of Star Wars. They can now create animated and live action TV shows, feature films, vignettes - basically anything they'd like within the Star Wars universe, without paying any rights fees.

They're currently designing new rides for Disney Land and Disney World based on Star Wars. Those alone will massively help defray the cost to purchase the IP.

It's a goldmine. George didn't do anything with Star Wars because he was a afraid of public reaction.

He wilted after TPM. It crushed him.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 02:43 AM
I wonder if Mel Brooks will ever make SpaceBalls 2: the search for more money

At his age, I highly doubt it.

BossChief
11-30-2012, 02:44 AM
George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to Disney. His close friend, Kathleen Kennedy, who had been running Lucasfilm for years, is still the head of Lucasfilm.

He was paid $4 billion dollars. $4 billion.

Disney purchased Lucasfilm, which includes the IP of Star Wars. They can now create animated and live action TV shows, feature films, vignettes - basically anything they'd like within the Star Wars universe, without paying any rights fees.

They're currently designing new rides for Disney Land and Disney World based on Star Wars. Those alone will massively help defray the cost to purchase the IP.

It's a goldmine. George didn't do anything with Star Wars because he was a afraid of public reaction.

He wilted after TPM. It crushed him.

StarWars the flamethrower (the kids love this one)

Count Zarth
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Disney making changes already

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/194734_574209679261285_263328193_o.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
LMAO

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I heard a couple of weeks ago that Matthew Vaughn was a near lock for directing at least one of the upcoming films but that's died down a little.

Believe it or not, the name I heard this weekend was past Andrew Stanton. After watching John Carter of Mars a number of times, I think he could definitely pull it off and make an incredible Star Wars film.

JCM had a ridiculous amount of subplots but the alien-human interaction was flawless and visually, the movie was stunning.

tk13
12-12-2012, 12:39 AM
I really liked John Carter a lot. I watched in the theater and again the other night on Starz. It's really disappointing that it didn't do better, especially since it was a bit of a risk. I think it kind of reached the point where people ripped on it because it was the cool thing to do. But it's an epic story, and it looked great. Plus the little dog creature Woola was fantastic. Seems like everyone I know who actually watched it enjoyed it.

Guru
12-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I really liked John Carter a lot. I watched in the theater and again the other night on Starz. It's really disappointing that it didn't do better, especially since it was a bit of a risk. I think it kind of reached the point where people ripped on it because it was the cool thing to do. But it's an epic story, and it looked great. Plus the little dog creature Woola was fantastic. Seems like everyone I know who actually watched it enjoyed it.

I thought it was great as well. I could easily see him doing a SW movie.

Fairplay
12-12-2012, 12:48 AM

A 4/10 maybe. I will let the critics answer that for me. Everyone i know didn't care for it.

http://i.imgur.com/u8cPJ.gif

Sorter
12-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Haven't seen John Carter but it looked horrible.

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2012, 12:58 AM

I agree. I saw it on Starz and was expecting a clusterfuck. Instead, I saw a great movie with great casting, amazing special effects and a very richly detailed but somewhat confusing story line in a single viewing.

Also, with Disney, it was expected to be bloodless and family oriented, which is quite the tight rope considering the source material.

Add to the fact that Disney totally fucked up the marketing and Stanton brought a home run with "Finding Nemo", it wouldn't be surprising if he was given the nod at some point.

DaneMcCloud
12-12-2012, 01:04 AM
A 4/10 maybe. I will let the critics answer that for me. Everyone i know didn't care for it.

http://i.imgur.com/u8cPJ.gif

I thought "The Avengers" was complete and utter dogshit after my first Blu Ray viewing. I've watched it since and think it's an even bigger piece of dogshit.

The bottom line is to never let some else form an opinion for you.

Chiefspants
12-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I thought "The Avengers" was complete and utter dogshit after my first Blu Ray viewing. I've watched it since and think it's an even bigger piece of dogshit.

lol, despite the dozens of plot holes, I still thought it to be rather enjoyable.

Deberg_1990
12-12-2012, 06:51 AM
I agree. I saw it on Starz and was expecting a cluster****. Instead, I saw a great movie with great casting, amazing special effects and a very richly detailed but somewhat confusing story line in a single viewing.

Also, with Disney, it was expected to be bloodless and family oriented, which is quite the tight rope considering the source material.

Add to the fact that Disney totally ****ed up the marketing and Stanton brought a home run with "Finding Nemo", it wouldn't be surprising if he was given the nod at some point.

I have no idea why this is, but it seems the press loves to take dumps on films with large budgets. Its like they are literally sharpening their knives waiting for something big to flop....then if it does, its like a pack of wolves.

BigMeatballDave
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM

It wasn't that bad.

Took my son to see it in 3D. Better than I expected. Plus, he enjoyed it, so yeah.

htismaqe
12-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Haven't seen John Carter but it looked horrible.

It wasn't.

My view is a bit skewed because I've been waiting 30+ years to see a decent screen version of ERB but to me, it was a really, really good movie.

Brock
12-12-2012, 10:05 AM
It wasn't that bad.

Took my son to see it in 3D. Better than I expected. Plus, he enjoyed it, so yeah.

I guess we can infer you like crappy movies.

InChiefsHell
12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I guess we can infer you like crappy movies.

Count me in. I liked it.

I also liked The Expendables.:D

Sorter
12-12-2012, 10:25 AM
It wasn't.

My view is a bit skewed because I've been waiting 30+ years to see a decent screen version of ERB but to me, it was a really, really good movie.

I'll check it out over break.

htismaqe
12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I'll check it out over break.

More importantly, to me personally, was that the movie was good enough that my 10-year old daughter immediately went out and read the first ERB trilogy that the movie was based on.

Sorter
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
More importantly, to me personally, was that the movie was good enough that my 10-year old daughter immediately went out and read the first ERB trilogy that the movie was based on.

Interesting.

Count Zarth
12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I probably read ERB at about the same age (10) htismaqe's daughter did....

...interesting.... :hmmm:

listopencil
12-12-2012, 03:17 PM
It wasn't.

I took my kids to see it and we enjoyed the movie. I wish it had been handled differently, it could have been the start of a great series of movies.

Tribal Warfare
12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-tBM2ZfncoU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Setsuna
12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-tBM2ZfncoU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty damn interesting. Reminds me of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn animation which is absolutely stunning. I'll post a link to compare. I suppose I mean similar in terms of actual human proportions are very well done. And every detail is believable in terms of reality and physics. The flow is almost perfect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y7KWXvLrSg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Canofbier
12-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Pretty damn interesting. Reminds me of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn animation which is absolutely stunning. I'll post a link to compare. I suppose I mean similar in terms of actual human proportions are very well done. And every detail is believable in terms of reality and physics. The flow is almost perfect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y7KWXvLrSg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was going to say that I enjoyed the art style of the Star Wars cartoon (although the character art was awfully cliched), but that the animation didn't look very well done. To me, things look choppy and they didn't always move like you'd think they would. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

New World Order
12-15-2012, 12:09 PM
It will be an animated star wars movie, a musical!

Setsuna
12-16-2012, 01:00 AM
I was going to say that I enjoyed the art style of the Star Wars cartoon (although the character art was awfully cliched), but that the animation didn't look very well done. To me, things look choppy and they didn't always move like you'd think they would. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

Yeah you're probably right. The detail wasn't on point. I agree. But you gotta hand it to them though, it looks better than a bunch of animated garbage out now.

TomSlash
12-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Interesting.

not half as interesting as your picture of you noming. Are you some sort of goth girl? If you were male, you'd have an ass woopin coming as well.

noob of the year, that's funny - you didn't even join this year. All these planeteers bend and break the rules, like our marxist president,

Cave Johnson
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Hmmmm, could be good or really derivative.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2013/01/zack-snyder-stand-alone-star-wars-movie-based-on-seven-samurai#more-81248

houstonwhodat
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Those *%#@& 'ers owe me money.

listopencil
01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Today in Star Wars rumors: J.J. Abrams is directing Star Wars after all
http://www.avclub.com/articles/today-in-star-wars-rumors-jj-abrams-is-directing-s,91573/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 05:28 PM
This is gonna be fucking awesome.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
This is gonna be fucking awesome.

I yet to see an Abrams movie that I thought was even above average, let alone average.

If the latest Star Trek is good, I'll have more hope. But MI-3 was generic, Super 8 was more Spielberg than Abrams (and lame).

I'll remain skeptical until I hear more.

Buck
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Woody Allen is in line to direct the third.

I'd rather see Scorsese given the nod.

ThaVirus
01-24-2013, 10:37 PM
You didn't like the Star Trek reboot?!?

EDIT: Fucking Buck.. My question is aimed at Dane.

Frazod
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
The only problem is now it'll be another five years until we get the next fucking Star Trek movie. :banghead:

It's not like this guy is the only good director in Hollywood.

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I yet to see an Abrams movie that I thought was even above average, let alone average.

If the latest Star Trek is good, I'll have more hope. But MI-3 was generic, Super 8 was more Spielberg than Abrams (and lame).

I'll remain skeptical until I hear more.

Star Wars is right in his wheelhouse, though.

He tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars and mostly succeeded.

To be honest just about anyone with some decent directorial chops is going to be a lot better than Lucas.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 11:11 PM
You didn't like the Star Trek reboot?!?

EDIT: Fucking Buck.. My question is aimed at Dane.

I thought the casting was excellent, as were the special effects.

I thought the story was very weak and that "Time Travel" ruins most everything, as it negates what we love about storylines and characters.

The movie was edited too choppy for a Star Wars film and the score was outright garbage. I really don't care to hear "Lost" leftover cues in a Star Wars film so I hope he hires someone other than Giacchino.

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Would John Williams be a possibility? He's only been scoring for Spielberg recently.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Star Wars is right in his wheelhouse, though.

Based on what?

Personally, I think that's a huge leap. MI-3 wasn't Star Wars. Alias wasn't Star Wars. Lost was fucking stupid. His other movies haven't been complete fail but his resume isn't exactly sterling.

I'd have rather seen Brad Bird or even Andrew Stanton over Abrams, let alone Nolan, Snyder or the insane home run choice of James Cameron.

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Based on what?

Just based on his style and what makes a good Star Wars film.

Star Trek felt a lot like a Star Wars film.

So did the 8 minutes of Into Darkness we were shown before The Hobbit.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Would John Williams be a possibility? He's only been scoring for Spielberg recently.

I don't know what kind of relationship he has with Abrams, which is everything in filmmaking. so my initial guess would be no.

I'd rather see Ottman or Powell before Giacchino. At least Ottman was able seamlessly weave the Superman score in that piece of dung, Superman Returns. And very effectively.

Just no Hans Zimmer (and his factory of sound-a-likes). Yuck.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Just based on his style and what makes a good Star Wars film.

Star Trek felt a lot like a Star Wars film.

How many times have you seen it? I liked it okay in the theater but after multiple viewings, it doesn't stand up thematically.

The actors are great and very charismatic but outside of that, it's just, well, whatever.

silver5liter
01-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Based on what?

Personally, I think that's a huge leap. MI-3 wasn't Star Wars. Alias wasn't Star Wars. Lost was ****ing stupid. His other movies haven't been complete fail but his resume isn't exactly sterling.

I'd have rather seen Brad Bird or even Andrew Stanton over Abrams, let alone Nolan, Snyder or the insane home run choice of James Cameron.

think his thought was more on the lines of Star Trek. Im sure it will be good.

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Cloverfield and Super 8 had elements in them that touched me in the same place Star Wars always did, too.

Not saying they were great films by any stretch but if you want to make a good Star Wars movie it needs to be high on emotion and spectacle. The audience needs to go on a ride. Abrams gets that. And he gets the idea of the hero's journey.

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Cloverfield and Super 8 had elements in them that touched me in the same place Star Wars always did, too.

Not saying they were great films by any stretch but if you want to make a good Star Wars movie it needs to be high on emotion and spectacle. The audience needs to go on a ride. Abrams gets that. And he gets the idea of the hero's journey.

I would like nothing more than to see an amazing Star Wars movie that is even within 80% of the original and Empire.

I hope you're right. ;)

Count Zarth
01-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Abrams was 11 years when Star Wars came out. It probably shaped his life a great deal. The guy is probably going to work 100 hour weeks to make it amazing.

Guru
01-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Abrams was 11 years when Star Wars came out. It probably shaped his life a great deal. The guy is probably going to work 100 hour weeks to make it amazing.

so 10 years before it hits the big screen.:evil:

Deberg_1990
01-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Interesting somewhat safe choice. IM sure he will make a fun film.

Guru
01-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Star Wars with light artifacting. Lovely. LMAO

bevischief
01-25-2013, 06:33 AM
Watch him reboot it.

Deberg_1990
01-25-2013, 06:35 AM
So i wonder what mystery Abrams will weave into this? You know its coming........

Whats hidden inside the Skywalker house??

Guru
01-25-2013, 06:52 AM
So i wonder what mystery Abrams will weave into this? You know its coming........

Whats hidden inside the Skywalker house??

Blue Rasberry koolaid in milk.

Deberg_1990
01-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Damon Lindelof will write the script. It will be a prequel to Episode 1. Dane will be pleased.

keg in kc
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Star Wars with light artifacting. Lovely. LMAOhttp://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2013/starwarslensflarelogo.jpg

listopencil
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Damon Lindelof will write the script. It will be a prequel to Episode 1. Dane will be pleased.

So in between the original trilogy and the shitty one?

listopencil
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Watch him reboot it.

LOL, I think everyone would just storm his house and kill him.

Strongside
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
I like this. Super 8 had an early 80's Spielberg feel to it. Heartwarming. If he can pull that through into the films, it will be a resounding success.

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
I like this. Super 8 had an early 80's Spielberg feel to it. Heartwarming. If he can pull that through into the films, it will be a resounding success.

That was because he and Spielberg collaborated on that film. Without him, it would have just been garbage.

Red Brooklyn
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
That was because he and Spielberg collaborated on that film. Without him, it would have just been garbage.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2013, 09:52 PM
LMAO

Your infatuation with JJ Abrams is borderline creepy.

The guys hasn't done dick. MI-3 barely broke $200 million dollars and he's never had a $500 million or $1 billion dollar film.

I personally think there not one single director in Hollywood that is more overrated than Abrams.

But then again, I'm pointing out this absurdity to a guy who believes that strong characters are more important than story.

I got news for you, Pal: That's called life, not cinema.

Silock
01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Based on what?

Personally, I think that's a huge leap. MI-3 wasn't Star Wars. Alias wasn't Star Wars. Lost was fucking stupid. His other movies haven't been complete fail but his resume isn't exactly sterling.

Fringe was awesome. Fox fucked it up.

Silock
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I thought the casting was excellent, as were the special effects.

I thought the story was very weak and that "Time Travel" ruins most everything, as it negates what we love about storylines and characters.

The movie was edited too choppy for a Star Wars film and the score was outright garbage. I really don't care to hear "Lost" leftover cues in a Star Wars film so I hope he hires someone other than Giacchino.

I think the Time Travel was necessary to bridge the "old" universe with the "new" one. It probably could have been done better, but I still really enjoy the film, even after multiple viewings ;)

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Fringe was awesome. Fox fucked it up.

As I mentioned in the original Fringe thread, it should have ended with at Season 4, when Bell disappeared. But at that point, they didn't have enough episodes for syndication, so they ordered 13 more to hit the magic number of "100".

Abrams was only on board at the beginning: It was really Kurtzman and Orci's show but in all honesty, the show was rudderless until about episode 18 of the first season. The show wanted to be X-Files, then a Monster of the Week show, etc. and so on.

They were lucky to be renewed after season one.

Al Bundy
01-25-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't think I have ever seen anything of JJ Abrams, wait he did Super 8 which was pretty good. However if this is going to be some sort of prequel bullshit.. then fuck it.

Count Zarth
01-25-2013, 10:32 PM
It's Episode VII you ninny.

Silock
01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
As I mentioned in the original Fringe thread, it should have ended with at Season 4, when Bell disappeared. But at that point, they didn't have enough episodes for syndication, so they ordered 13 more to hit the magic number of "100".

Abrams was only on board at the beginning: It was really Kurtzman and Orci's show but in all honesty, the show was rudderless until about episode 18 of the first season. The show wanted to be X-Files, then a Monster of the Week show, etc. and so on.

They were lucky to be renewed after season one.

I didn't like that they only had one more season after 4, which made it feel rushed and tacked-on. 6 seasons would have been better, but I'm happy with it.

MOTW is okay. It kinda has to be, based upon the premise, at least to some extent.

In any case, Abrams is directing, but if he's not writing the whole thing, I don't see any reason to be dissatisfied with the choice for him as director. As long as there's no fucking metachlorients or Jar-Jar, I'll be okay.

Count Zarth
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-is-being-kick-started-with-dynamite-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii.html

http://i.imgur.com/4b83a5c.jpg

DaneMcCloud
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I didn't like that they only had one more season after 4, which made it feel rushed and tacked-on. 6 seasons would have been better, but I'm happy with it.

MOTW is okay. It kinda has to be, based upon the premise, at least to some extent.

In any case, Abrams is directing, but if he's not writing the whole thing, I don't see any reason to be dissatisfied with the choice for him as director. As long as there's no fucking metachlorients or Jar-Jar, I'll be okay.

I've just never been impressed with Abrams as a director. I think Matthew Vaughn would have been the better choice but for whatever reason, LucasFilm chose Abrams.

I've heard that it's a female lead in this film, so it makes sense to go with Abrams, I suppose, because of Felicity and Lost. But I'll remain skeptical until I see it.

Count Zarth
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I've heard that it's a female lead in this film.

OH HELL YEAH KERI RUSSELL AS FELICITY SKYWALKER

Red Brooklyn
01-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Your infatuation with JJ Abrams is borderline creepy.
I have zero infatuation with Abrams. I just think you're funny.
But then again, I'm pointing out this absurdity to a guy who believes that strong characters are more important than story.
People value different things, man. It's time to let it go.

Deberg_1990
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
I've just never been impressed with Abrams as a director. I think Matthew Vaughn would have been the better choice but for whatever reason, LucasFilm chose Abrams.

I've heard that it's a female lead in this film, so it makes sense to go with Abrams, I suppose, because of Felicity and Lost. But I'll remain skeptical until I see it.

I like Abrams, but will admit he has some weaknesses. Hes a master of pacing and creating tension and scenes. But then when you go back and watch, you see how hollow and empty some of his stuff is. Honestly, hes probably better for Star Wars then Trek considering Trek is a little more heady and highbrow.

Vaughn would have been superb, or Fincher, Cameron, etc..........But overall, Abrams wont be bad. Hes basically a safe choice.

Rausch
01-26-2013, 10:39 AM

I think it's kind of ironic he's taking over for Lucas.

I think he's about to run a number of profitable franchises and is the most hyped name since Lucas...

mnchiefsguy
02-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Apparently they is not only going to be a new trilogy, but new stand alone films as well....and Lawerence Kasdan is going to involved in writing them! That is the best Star Wars news yet! (Kasdan is one of the reasons why Empire is so fucking good).

Link to the article here:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/paralleluniverse-blog.aspx?feat=e9b950bd-40e9-4d33-85ce-434b3486ef8d

Deberg_1990
02-05-2013, 05:37 PM
I read Yoda was supposed to be the first stand alone film....kinda meh on that.

Id rather:

Solo
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Lando

DaneMcCloud
02-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Id rather:

Solo
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Lando

Boba Fett is definitely in the mix.

The Yoda rumors have been around for years and I think if done right, will appeal to kids and adults.

InChiefsHell
02-06-2013, 05:58 AM

Id rather:

Solo
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Lando

It would be nice to rescue Chewie from the bullshit of the Clone Wars. Same with Boba Fett, though technically it was his dad I guess. Don't really care about Lando, if they do a Solo story they can include him in that.

I'm looking forward to a Yoda story. That might really be cool.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 08:16 AM
A standalone Yoda movie sounds like a bad idea to me.

Too much CGI, and I don't think he can carry a movie all by himself whatsoever. Same with Chewbacca.

Now Boba Fett and Han Solo, yes. And I'd argue that after they each do their own movie, they should do a movie together.

At some point a Rogue Squadron movie would be fucking awesome.

Swanman
02-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Id rather:

Solo
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
Lando

Yoda is interesting because there really is no complete origin story that I know of. They will have to be careful that the cgi doesn't get all cheesy.

There are three books dedicated to Solo's backstory in the expanded universe books that are all very good. They explain how he paired up with Chewie and why Jabba was after him. The books also cover the "Kessel Run" that Han talks about in the movies. I am not sure if they would go that direction, but it wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Chewie should be in the Han Solo movie naturally. If for no other reason than to give Peter Mayhew another payday, assuming he can still get around enough.

Swanman
02-06-2013, 08:21 AM
I am hoping they step into the expanded universe eventually and open up characters like Darth Bane and Grand Admiral Thrawn. You could even do some post-RotJ Rogue Squadron stuff with Wedge.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Chewie should be in the Han Solo movie naturally. If for no other reason than to give Peter Mayhew another payday, assuming he can still get around enough.

Just give me real peeps in costume. Not that CGI wookie crap in Revenge of the Sith.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 08:34 AM
I am hoping they step into the expanded universe eventually and open up characters like Darth Bane and Grand Admiral Thrawn. You could even do some post-RotJ Rogue Squadron stuff with Wedge.

I'm honestly hoping for an animated Shadows of the Empire movie, with the original cast voicing their characters. It would kick ass and make money for sure.

Red Brooklyn
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/

Star Wars fans, admit it: you like scoundrels. And you’re about to get more of them in your life.

Yesterday, The Walt Disney Co. unveiled plans to make a number of spin-off movies set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away — in addition to the post-Return of the Jedi trilogy that had already been announced

Entertainment Weekly has learned details on two of the spin-off projects: A young Han Solo saga, focusing on the wisecracking smuggler’s origin story, and a bounty hunter adventure with Boba Fett at the center of a rogue’s gallery of galactic scum.

Sources close to the projects confirmed this was the direction the development was taking, although they cautioned it’s still very early in the process and, well, the deal could always be altered futher. Lucasfilm and Disney declined to comment on the information.

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isn’t much of a complication – in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, who’s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

In addition to bringing back two fan-favorite characters as the leads of their own films, the Han Solo and Boba Fett projects would also allow Darth Vader, in full-on black death-metal gear, to return as a villain, since placing the spin-offs within the original trilogy would mean he is still alive and hissing. That timeline would also open the door for a return from visit with everyone’s favorite degenerate slug-like gangster, Jabba the Hutt.

Walt Disney Co. chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced the existence of spin-off plans yesterday as part of the company’s quarterly earnings report. He said the screenwriters working of the stand-alone films are Simon Kinberg (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Sherlock Holmes) and Lawrence Kasdan (screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and the filmmaker behind The Big Chill.)

The pair are also involved in the drafting of the new trilogy, with Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) penning the first of the series, which J. J. Abrams has agreed to direct. That film is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015.

There is no indication who might direct the Boba Fett and Han Solo films if they end up coming to fruition. Joe Johnston, director of Captain America and The Rocketeer, originally designed the armor for Boba Fett and told Screenrant he would like to make a film based around the character. Recently, Robert Rodriguez told MTV he would jump at the chance to make a Han Solo film if it were offered to him — although that seemed more like casual interest than a serious proposal.

The recent novel Scoundrels, by sci-fi author Timothy Zahn, focused on the exploits of Solo in the period between A New Hope and Empire as he set up an Ocean’s 11-type heist of a gangster’s fortune. But sources said it was not the basis for any film currently in the works.

As for other spin-offs, Ain’t It Cool reported Monday that a Yoda-centric film may be in the works, and earlier last month Vulture reported Zack Snyder may create a Seven Samurai-inspired Star Wars spin-off, although the filmmaker later said that was untrue.

Lucasfilm has ramped up its development in recent months under the new leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, who stepped in as co-chair of the company as Star Wars creator George Lucas stepped back and sold the company to the Walt Disney Co.

Kennedy, who has her eighth nomination for the Best Picture Oscar this year as producer of Lincoln, has a long track record of making films that strike a nerve with the original Star Wars generation, among them E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and everything from Gremlins to The Goonies and the Back to the Future movies.

The question now: If these films do happen, who would you cast as a young Han Solo – or should they cast someone as relatively unknown as Ford once was?

Red Brooklyn
02-06-2013, 11:42 AM
And who wants to wager on a bet on Chris Pine as young Han Solo?

:p

keg in kc
02-06-2013, 12:10 PM
John Noble possibly up for a role as Ep 7's main villain (far-fetched rumor but this would be awesome...):This is sketchy - basically just the word of one Radio show host - but we haven't had any casting rumors for Star Wars Episode VII yet so what the Hell! On morning radio (Fox FM) in Melbourne Australia, the hosts were discussing yesterday's confirmation of the standalone Star Wars movies when one of them (Jo) said she "has it on very good authority that Aussie actor John Noble will be appearing as the villain". The other host, Matt, queried this but she remained adamant, saying this was definitely for Episode VII and not for one of the standalone movies, before offering to make a friendly wager on the matter. Obviously we have no way of knowing if this is true, and our definition of "good authority" may differ quite a bit from Jo's here, but you never know. Noble did work on the J.J Abrams created tv show Fringe - but of course that could also just be where the (rather lazy) link was made for the rumor to spring from. If it did turn out to be true and he was to play the villain, how would it go down with you guys? Thanks to Natalia Romanov for the heads up.link (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=73847)

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM

No fucking way.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
John Noble looks like he has an Imperial Officer face if I ever saw one.

http://daedrianmcnaughton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/John-Noble.jpg

But he'd make a great Sith Lord, too...

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/08/john-noble-as-denethor.jpg

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
jizzzzzz

http://moviepilot.com/stories/857669-boba-fett-and-han-solo-both-getting-their-own-films?stamp=70276&subscribe_to=857667&utm_campaign=boba-fett-and-han-solo-both-getting-their-own-films&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-stream-post

The Han Solo movie would be an origin story of the infamous smuggler, and would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, so it’s doubtful Harrison Ford would be making an appearance in the spin-off (Then again, if Sir Alec Guinness can appear in hologram form in The Phantom Menace, who knows what is possible).

Boba Fett’s film would take place at a slightly later time, either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between the latter and Return of the Jedi (where we last lost our intrepid bounty hunter falling into the mouth of a Sarlacc). Casting him would not be a huge problem, as he presumably never removes his helmet.

Setting the two spin-off movies in the time of the original trilogy means the door is open for an appearance, or multiple ones, of everyone’s favorite Sith Lord, Darth Vader.

Also these assholes better not use Temeura Morrison as Boba Fett's voice. That was the worst fucking thing ever.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM

:Lin:

Fish
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Holy fucking fuck. How the hell is it possible that I never realized he played Denethor? I am complete fail.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Probably not. Hes already got two franchises now. ST and the Jack Ryan series reboot.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Probably not. Hes already got two franchises now. ST and the Jack Ryan series reboot.

While Paramount may have a different view, I have serious doubts as to whether you can call "Jack Ryan" a franchise series. We'll see our fourth different actor, with a script not based on any Tom Clancy book.

In our current worldwide political climate, I'll be shocked if it hits even $100 million at the domestic box office.

My opinion is that Paramount should have continued to make Jack Ryan films based on the books, regardless of the fact that the Cold War has been long over. Aside for the excellent casting and direction, "The Hunt For Red October" still works today because it's an excellent film set in historical context, whether it's a work of fiction or not.

BossChief
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Pretty exciting developments.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
While Paramount may have a different view, I have serious doubts as to whether you can call "Jack Ryan" a franchise series. We'll see our fourth different actor, with a script not based on any Tom Clancy book.

In our current worldwide political climate, I'll be shocked if it hits even $100 million at the domestic box office.

My opinion is that Paramount should have continued to make Jack Ryan films based on the books, regardless of the fact that the Cold War has been long over. Aside for the excellent casting and direction, "The Hunt For Red October" still works today because it's an excellent film set in historical context, whether it's a work of fiction or not.

Interesting. Did not know it wasnt based on one of Clancys books.

Ive actually enjoyed all the films, even the Affleck one.

listopencil
02-06-2013, 01:53 PM

I would have enjoyed that. It's a compelling time period. I just watched Red October on NetFlix with my daughter (16 at the time) last Summer. She followed the plot well, thought it was interesting, and had an enjoyable experience watching the movie. Of course a lot of that might have to do with Sean Connery...but if a modern 16 year old girl can enjoy a 20+ year old movie about the Cold War, then that movie is holding up very well in my opinion.

jiveturkey
02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Ive actually enjoyed all the films, even the Affleck one.

I'm in the same boat. Loved them all.

I would jump all over a new one.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm in the same boat. Loved them all.

I would jump all over a new one.

Paramount has plans to release a new Jack Ryan movie, starring Chris Pine.

But once again, it's not based on any Tom Clancy book.

The movie is simply called Jack Ryan. Kenneth Branagh is directing.

listopencil
02-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Paramount has plans to release a new Jack Ryan movie, starring Chris Pine.

But once again, it's not based on any Tom Clancy book.

The movie is simply called Jack Ryan. Kenneth Branagh is directing.

I wish they would just do a complete reboot and follow the books with an ensemble cast and a charismatic Jack Ryan.

DaneMcCloud
02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
I wish they would just do a complete reboot and follow the books with an ensemble cast and a charismatic Jack Ryan.

Yeah, well, me too.

The problem is locking in an actor for that many films, popularity, box office receipts, etc.

These aren't cheap films to make and Jack Ryan never entered the public consciousness like a James Bond.

listopencil
02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, well, me too.

The problem is locking in an actor for that many films, popularity, box office receipts, etc.

These aren't cheap films to make and Jack Ryan never entered the public consciousness like a James Bond.

Yeah, true. I just hate that there are so many good stories out there that don't seem to get made, or don't seem to get the treatment that would really show them off well.

morphius
02-06-2013, 02:23 PM
A Jack Ryan series not based on the books? That makes me feel a bit ill, honestly. If you want to make a new character, make a new one. Jack was always a bit too reluctant of a spy and a goody two-shoes to build him into something else would just be someone completely different.

Bowser
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM

http://daedrianmcnaughton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/John-Noble.jpg

Awww yissss.

They would need to fit in the line "We shall burn like the heathen kings of old" in there somehow.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Awww yissss.

They would need to fit in the line "We shall burn like the heathen kings of old" in there somehow.

Massive nerd overload in this post.

Bowser
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Massive nerd overload in this post.

Indeed. Heh.

Count Zarth
02-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Just dropped in to say I love Star Wars.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/3efbed2435031e3285da48b8f2cc3a2d/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go1_r1_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/df982cb541e30e6a2a2349ca7024e4a2/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go2_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/2eb4df11b999f70c323c62f44dec9657/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go3_r1_250.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/61702b10a8b0fe096bbef1b152898578/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go4_r1_250.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/7faf62146187255d33f41e65ddf4781f/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go5_r1_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/0c6e816a1e96f5dae5e5567c0366bd5b/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go6_r1_250.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/24018c38129f16b2fee20d4e1db21fd9/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go7_r1_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/cfe917a98832d0e4695a04e0d73692ba/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go8_r1_250.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/29629338b426dcd834cf864851707cfc/tumblr_mhig1boAGW1qmqh7go9_r1_250.gif

NewChief
02-07-2013, 05:17 AM
jizzzzzz

http://moviepilot.com/stories/857669-boba-fett-and-han-solo-both-getting-their-own-films?stamp=70276&subscribe_to=857667&utm_campaign=boba-fett-and-han-solo-both-getting-their-own-films&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-stream-post

Also these assholes better not use Temeura Morrison as Boba Fett's voice. That was the worst ****ing thing ever.

Interesting. Does Disney own the Clone Wars animated franchise as well? Might explain some of the choices they've made this season (huge focus on Mandalorians and the Death Watch) in testing the waters and market research for that aspect of the SW universe.

Anyway, that series has been nails this season. Just awesome.

Frosty
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Interesting. Does Disney own the Clone Wars animated franchise as well? Might explain some of the choices they've made this season (huge focus on Mandalorians and the Death Watch) in testing the waters and market research for that aspect of the SW universe.

The latest story arc has been good (and dark). However, the "frog and droids" arc went on way too long, imo.

BigCatDaddy
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I would like to see a Jar Jar spinoff movie.

DaneMcCloud
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Yes, Disney now owns everything ever produced by Lucasfilm (including merchandising rights). But the Clone Wars series takes a full year to produce, so what you're seeing is under the direction of Lucasfilm and not Disney.

Count Zarth
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
these are fun

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/64856_515175031854270_1511014106_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/13219_515175065187600_303279087_n.jpg

Bowser
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Look. Do NOT fuck up the Millennium Falcon. I don't care if that's just fan art, you don't touch that ship. Ever.

Garcia Bronco
02-08-2013, 10:48 AM
The latest story arc has been good (and dark). However, the "frog and droids" arc went on way too long, imo.

If you notice...the title screen on all those recent ones you just described...the Clone Wars Title is in Blue...while the Maul ones are still in yellow. I think the ones from the past few weeks were done over a year ago. they're also taking less breaks on showing the series this year. Personally I enjoy all of them.

Garcia Bronco
02-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Look. Do NOT **** up the Millennium Falcon. I don't care if that's just fan art, you don't touch that ship. Ever.

The Falcon is in novels 40 years in the future. I wouldn't worry too much.

Swanman
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
The Falcon is in novels 40 years in the future. I wouldn't worry too much.

There is a book entitled Millenium Falcon that takes place after New Jedi Order, if my memory is correct. I hope Episode VII isn't jumped too far into the future.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Solo Trilogy? Meh
Posted via Mobile Device

Garcia Bronco
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
There is a book entitled Millenium Falcon that takes place after New Jedi Order, if my memory is correct. I hope Episode VII isn't jumped too far into the future.

That's a good book, but who knows if they'll deviate from it.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2013, 05:52 PM
That's a good book, but who knows if they'll deviate from it.

:shake:

Disney, at this point in time, has no intention of adhering to what's been written in the books, nor are they basing any movies on the EU.

The EU is the EU. It's NOT canon.

Guru
02-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Hell the only book I would even want to see made into a movie is Shadows of the Empire. OUtside of that, I can't wait to see what the writers come up with.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Bane trilogy would be best...but its too dark for disney.
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Lawrence Kasdan Says He Will Start Fresh For His Star Wars Spin-Off Movie

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Lawrence-Kasdan-Says-He-Starting-Fresh-His-Star-Wars-Spin-Off-Movie-35687.html

The thought of Star Wars spin-off films should be tantalizing for any fan. While it's possible that Disney and LucasFilm could be planning movies based around already established characters - like Han Solo, Boba Fett and Yoda - there's also a distinct possibility that they will plan something completely different. The Star Wars universe exists far beyond everything that has been featured in Episodes I through VI. So which will it be?

The answer to the question remains one of the most sought after in Hollywood and geek circles, and, frankly, the search isn't greatly aided by new comments by writer Lawrence Kasdan, who recently spoke with the Los Angeles Times (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-writer-lawrence-kasdan-wants-spinoff-film-to-start-fresh/#/0). Kasdan, who scripted both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, is now one of two writers (the other being X-Men: Days of Future Past's Simon Kinberg) currently working on a Star Wars spin-off movie for Disney/LucasFilm and while he wouldn't confirm if his new movie would center on an established character, he did give the paper a vague statement that should keeps fans speculating for a while.

"I’m trying to start fresh," he said. “There are certain pleasures that we think the saga can bring to people that they’ve been missing, and we’re hoping to bring them that, and at the same time, have them feel that it’s all new.”
Does starting fresh mean that he's going to be introducing brand new characters to the world of Star Wars? Is he just saying that it's a rebound from the prequels? What does that mean?!

Confusion aside, Kasdan did also take a moment to please old school fans by praising the original trilogy and elevating it over the more recent prequels. Said the filmmaker, "The ones I worked on were a long time ago, and they had a slightly different feeling than the ones that followed. The first three, Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi are all sort of more about people than the ones that followed."

Mr. Laz
02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/72d07f62755e11e2aa0322000a1fa408_7.jpg

Count Zarth
02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
This would be some inspired casting.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/819321_10151246218982413_658213972_o.jpg

Tribal Warfare
02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
:shake:

Disney, at this point in time, has no intention of adhering to what's been written in the books, nor are they basing any movies on the EU.

The EU is the EU. It's NOT canon.

IMO, this is plain fucking stupid because there is some nice source elements in the book series, but if a corporate identity or a writer is too arrogant to recognize that for the sake to be "original" then that's a good way to fuck up. A perfect example is how George Lucas handled the prequels and ignoring good material that he could've used from the book series.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
there wasnt anything there. Lucas kept the timeline for books off limits to pre Epi 4 until PM was almost finished. the solo trilogy is one of the few excptions i can think of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-14-2013, 10:21 PM
frankly, id bring back mcdiarmid and any old fool in the suit and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-14-2013, 10:39 PM
IMO, this is plain fucking stupid because there is some nice source elements in the book series, but if a corporate identity or a writer is too arrogant to recognize that for the sake to be "original" then that's a good way to fuck up. A perfect example is how George Lucas handled the prequels and ignoring good material that he could've used from the book series.

Literally NO ONE gives a flying fuck about the books.

Count Zarth
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM

Fans do.

A well-done Zahn trilogy would rake in mad cash and get great reviews, as well as introduce several really interesting characters.

DaneMcCloud
02-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Fans do.

A well-done Zahn trilogy would rake in mad cash and get great reviews, as well as introduce several really interesting characters.

I'm a fan. I've read every one of Zahn's books and feel like his original trilogy was his weakest effort.

The bottom line is that those "fans" you speak of maybe equal 2% of potential movie goers, especially when reaching out to a new generation.

Six through ten year old kids don't read the EU. I have my doubts that 10-18 year olds read the EU, at least in a significant amount of numbers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
more palps! Thats money right there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare
02-14-2013, 11:01 PM

I said there are good elements of that mythos there, not a direct book to movie ordeal like the HP series ect....

Setsuna
02-14-2013, 11:48 PM
The lore the books offer is ridunkulous and would introduce a whole new slew of characters for the new generation to fall in love with and covet. It's perfect. The movies can't be worse than the recent trilogy.

DaneMcCloud
02-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I said there are good elements of that mythos there, not a direct book to movie ordeal like the HP series ect....

I agree with that and my apologies for missing it.

But that said, the average movie goer isn't tied in to that mythos and neither are the screenwriters, producers, etc.

I re-read the original Zahn trilogy about 10 years ago, after initially reading it when it was released and it did not stand the test of time.

scorpio
02-15-2013, 09:38 AM
interdasting...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61001

EPISODE VII Will Have Harrison Ford Coming Back As Han Solo!!!

Well, it was only a matter of time before this news became a bit more concrete, but, according to El Mayimbe over at Latino Review, who has an exceptional batting average when it comes to his scoop accuracy, the deal is done for Harrison Ford to reprise his role as Han Solo in STAR WARS - EPISODE VII.

This was rather inevitable with Ford commenting that he'd be open to a return back around the time the STAR WARS sale to Disney was announced, complete with those plans for three new films being made in the core saga. For a guy who's tried awfully hard to distance himself from the Original Trilogy over the years to come around like that with willing participation, you knew The Mouse and Lucasfilm were going to make sure they locked up the beloved smuggler for whatever story J.J. Abrams will be kicking off in EPISODE VII. Plus, with rumors of a Han Solo origin story being floated around as one of the ideas for a STAR WARS stand-alone, it only makes sense to get the character fresh in people's minds, particularly younger generations of potential STAR WARS fans, who may not be as familiar with Solo.

listopencil
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
interdasting...

Please Disney, I beg of you, don't put Carrie Fisher back into the slave costume.

Frosty
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Please Disney, I beg of you, don't put Carrie Fisher back into the slave costume.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc240/SavageBelief/carrie.jpg

listopencil
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc240/SavageBelief/carrie.jpg

She was sexy once. But, hey, so was I. Age comes for all of us Carrie.

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
interdasting...

This is so fucking cool.

Harrison Fucking Ford is playing Han Fucking Solo again.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Deberg_1990
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Interesting.....with special effects advances, he could be CGI "de-aged" i imagine?

Frosty
02-15-2013, 10:52 AM
She was sexy once. But, hey, so was I. Age comes for all of us Carrie.

What? You don't think something like this would be sexy?

http://tbexperience.com/posts/237/237-F.jpg

bowener
02-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I was talking to a friend the other day, and he was telling me about the Dark Empire Trilogy.

It sounds very interesting to me, but it also sounded like the most likely direction they would go in for the new films. It would follow up on most of the characters that casual fans (such as myself) know, but would also sort of gently expose them to the expanded universe/story, and allow for future endeavors to go further into the universe/story without the familiar characters from the past.

Can anybody tell me more about this trilogy? I've started reading about it on Wiki a bit ago. I'm curious to see what others think of the liklihood that it will be next in line, especially now that they have announced Ford will be back as Han.

bowener
02-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Ok, a bit more reading and I see there is another trilogy between the original SW and the DE trilogy...

Also, why would Han and Leia name their son Anakin? I suppose Vader did have one final selfless act... but that would be akin to Hitler having one last selfless act before death... does it really out weigh a lifetime of evil?

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM
I bet Disney kills Han Solo off. It's what Ford wanted in 1983.

Frosty
02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I re-read the original Zahn trilogy about 10 years ago, after initially reading it when it was released and it did not stand the test of time.

I had never heard of the trilogy until I read about it here on CP. I picked it up a couple of months ago and found the first book a chore to get through. I'll read the rest at some point but I was disappointed it wasn't as awesome as people made it out to be.

Maybe I still needed to be in high school to enjoy it. :shrug:

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day, and he was telling me about the Dark Empire Trilogy.

It sounds very interesting to me, but it also sounded like the most likely direction they would go in for the new films. It would follow up on most of the characters that casual fans (such as myself) know, but would also sort of gently expose them to the expanded universe/story, and allow for future endeavors to go further into the universe/story without the familiar characters from the past.

Can anybody tell me more about this trilogy? I've started reading about it on Wiki a bit ago. I'm curious to see what others think of the liklihood that it will be next in line, especially now that they have announced Ford will be back as Han.

Dude, they will be brand new stories with no tie ins to the EU.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I bet Disney kills Han Solo off. It's what Ford wanted in 1983.

I think it would be shocking if Disney were to kill such a beloved character. It would be like killing Mickey Mouse.

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I think it would be shocking if Disney were to kill such a beloved character. It would be like killing Mickey Mouse.

It wouldn't surprise me simply because Ford can pretty much ask for whatever he wants, and he wanted it 30 years ago.

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 02:03 PM
http://www.starwarsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/star_wars__han_solo-is-old1.jpg

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
It wouldn't surprise me simply because Ford can pretty much ask for whatever he wants, and he wanted it 30 years ago.

It doesnt matter what Ford wants. Disney is not going to bow to his wishes and kill a beloved character.

It's fucking DISNEY.

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
It doesnt matter what Ford wants. Disney is not going to bow to his wishes and kill a beloved character.

It's fucking DISNEY.

And he's Harrison Ford.

If he doesn't want to be in the movie unless Han Solo dies, he simply won't do it.

But maybe he's cool with whatever. Just speculating.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Are they going to use john williams, use the scene-wipes etc? If not...FAIL.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
And he's Harrison Ford.

If he doesn't want to be in the movie unless Han Solo dies, he simply won't do it.

But maybe he's cool with whatever. Just speculating.

Disney didn't purchase Lucasfilm and all of its properties just to kill Han Solo.

Considering that Harrison Ford hasn't had a true hit outside of Indy 5 in more than a decade (if not two), I'm sure he's more than happy to portray Han Solo one more time.

But yeah, I think that killing Solo wouldn't be in the cards.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Are they going to use john williams, use the scene-wipes etc? If not...FAIL.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be surprised if Williams were hired for "VII" because of Abrams relationship with Giacchino (who I believe is vastly overrated).

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter because Williams has employed "Ghost Composers" for his scores for more than a decade, just like Hans Zimmer does with each and every outing.

listopencil
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I'd be surprised if Williams were hired for "VII" because of Abrams relationship with Giacchino (who I believe is vastly overrated).

In all honesty, it doesn't really matter because Williams has employed "Ghost Composers" for his scores for more than a decade, just like Hans Zimmer does with each and every outing.

In all honesty I would be happy if modified versions of the original score(s) were used in the next set of movies. I don't know how you could modernize them without turning then into crap, but I'm not exactly in the business of creating music for movies. Just start with a solid "no dubstep version of The Imperial March" rule and go from there.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
In all honesty I would be happy if modified versions of the original score(s) were used in the next set of movies.

That's impossible. They'll retain the same opening and closing themes and themes for well known characters such as Luke, Vader, the Emperor, the Imperial March, etc. but specific music needs to be written for each scene.

The score to The Phantom Menace was among Williams best work ever but Attack of the Clones was weak in comparison because they "re-purposed" so much music from earlier films that it cheapened not only the score but the movie as well.

listopencil
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
That's impossible. They'll retain the same opening and closing themes and themes for well known characters such as Luke, Vader, the Emperor, the Imperial March, etc. but specific music needs to be written for each scene.

The score to The Phantom Menace was among Williams best work ever but Attack of the Clones was weak in comparison because they "re-purposed" so much music from earlier films that it cheapened not only the score but the movie as well.

Yeah, true, I wasn't thinking about how the music has to fit the movie visually. Using the themes for each character blended into a new work would be fine.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-15-2013, 03:21 PM
if they keep the overall style, then WIN.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
if they keep the overall style, then WIN.
Posted via Mobile Device

That will be the biggest challenge for a guy like Giacchino because he's not really a "classical" style composer.

A guy like Thomas Newman or John Ottman or Henry Gregson-Williams would be better choices.

Count Zarth
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
A guy like Thomas Newman or John Ottman or Henry Gregson-Williams would be better choices.

I'd love to hear a SW score by Howard Shore.

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd love to hear a SW score by Howard Shore.

He wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

Here the thing: Who ever is hired is going to be walking a tightrope between helping Abrams, the director, achieve his vision, while making sure that he stays "true" to the original trilogy and delivers a score that Disney and Kathleen Kennedy will approve.

Even though that composer will be paid $4 million dollars, I'm not envious of those challenges.

Deberg_1990
02-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Or they could go really out there and get somebody like Clint Mansell to do the score.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Or they could go really out there and get somebody like Clint Mansell to do the score.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nah, that's not happening.

They'll do their best to keep the spirit of the original film and trilogy, at least with the linear series of 7, 8 and 9.

The non-linear series may be different but from what I've heard, that hasn't been determined.

Deberg_1990
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Nah, that's not happening.

They'll do their best to keep the spirit of the original film and trilogy, at least with the linear series of 7, 8 and 9.

The non-linear series may be different but from what I've heard, that hasn't been determined.

yea, its Disney so they will play it safe.

Bring in Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Zimmer! : )

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
yea, its Disney so they will play it safe.

Bring in Bruckheimer, Verbinski and Zimmer! : )

No, not that production team.

Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Solo will fly the falcon in to the maw at kessel to save the galaxy from matt cassel. Selfless sacrifice ftw accomplishing two goals for Ford.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Solo will fly the falcon in to the maw at kessel to save the galaxy

I think it will it will fucking awesome to see the early days of Han Solo on film! The biggest issue will be casting.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-15-2013, 10:05 PM
How early? Perhaps our guy from "Hitman" can get his shot at SW immortality...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
How early? Perhaps our guy from "Hitman" can get his shot at SW immortality...
Posted via Mobile Device

Timothy Olyphant? Interesting. I think Clay floated David Boreanz's name out there, too.

And really, what actor in Hollywood wouldn't want a shot at playing Solo in a new Star Wars flick?

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2013, 04:47 PM
olyphiant ftw. "Angel"??? Really, clay? Really? Damn...
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Timothy Olyphant? Interesting. I think Clay floated David Boreanz's name out there, too.

And really, what actor in Hollywood wouldn't want a shot at playing Solo in a new Star Wars flick?

That would be interesting, especially if we get Ian McShane to be a crime boss who feeds his victims to Wu's banthas.

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
If they're going for "young", Olyphant is not a fit.

Also, it hasn't been confirmed whether or not Harrison Ford will appear in Episode VII or if his agreement is for the spin-off trilogy.

DaneMcCloud
02-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Boreanz would be older than Ford when he last portrayed him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
not to mention a horrible choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
That would be interesting, especially if we get Ian McShane to be a crime boss who feeds his victims to Wu's banthas.

"The next cocksucker that cuts the cheese gets fed to the fucking Banthas"

DaneMcCloud
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
not to mention a horrible choice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree.

It's going to be a problem to cast a "young" Han Solo because there's just not that much young talent in America.

The Arts, Theater, so on and so forth is dominated by artistic types. "Jocks", for lack of a better word, rarely think about going into theater because it's considered "gay" and so forth.

So, we're seeing more and more of our action heroes come from Australia and even England because too many people have a stick up their ass when it comes to theater and acting in America.

It's really a shame.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-17-2013, 09:25 AM
good point. Its no surprise that guys like mcgregor and nieson got tapped for the prequels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree.

It's going to be a problem to cast a "young" Han Solo because there's just not that much young talent in America.

The Arts, Theater, so on and so forth is dominated by artistic types. "Jocks", for lack of a better word, rarely think about going into theater because it's considered "gay" and so forth.

So, we're seeing more and more of our action heroes come from Australia and even England because too many people have a stick up their ass when it comes to theater and acting in America.

It's really a shame.

I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

Sorter
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

I lol'd as well.

i do agree with Dane though.

scott free
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
I agree.

It's really a shame.

This is no lie, theres a definite stigma attached to acting in this country.

Tribal Warfare
02-18-2013, 03:21 PM
I agree.

It's really a shame.

It depends what area of country you are speaking of, because in SWMO they have a real strong arts and drama contingent.

NewChief
02-18-2013, 03:44 PM
This kid just screams Han Solo.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/justin-bieber-40th-anniversary-american-music-awards-06.jpg

Fish
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpic/justin-bieber-40th-anniversary-american-music-awards-06.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9164/shutwhoremouth.gif

listopencil
02-18-2013, 06:31 PM

That's not a real pic, right?

NewChief
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
That's not a real pic, right?

I'm afraid so. As others have said, he's starting to look more and more like a young lesbian.

Frazod
02-18-2013, 10:19 PM

Holy shit - I thought that was the chick from Roxette with brown hair. LMAO

listopencil
02-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm afraid so. As others have said, he's starting to look more and more like a young lesbian.

Well, then I guess we found our Princess Leia. Please no slave costume.

Count Zarth
02-19-2013, 06:36 PM
John Williams said this:

Now we’re hearing of a new set of movies coming in 2015, 2016…so I need to make sure I’m still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George…[more cheers].”

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-19-2013, 06:40 PM
awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-19-2013, 06:44 PM
my greatest hope in all this is that Abrams took a rather flaccid franchise, casted well, worked a great angle in the story that honored the legacy well, and made it relevant for viewers like myself who weren't hard core trekkies.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
my greatest hope in all this is that Abrams took a rather flaccid franchise, casted well, worked a great angle in the story that honored the legacy well, and made it relevant for viewers like myself who weren't hard core trekkies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Abrams is only directing Episode VII.

There are many other directors and screenwriters working on the Han Solo Trilogy, Boba Fett and Yoda.

Abrams is the "Top Line" guy right now that they needed for P.R. reasons but MY money is on the spinoffs because there aren't as many restraints as there would be with an "Episode".

The other entries and parts of the Star Wars Universe can appeal to a different crowd, entirely (i.e. not 6 year olds).

Tribal Warfare
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
John Williams said this:

translation: hopefully I'll be alive when production comes around.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-19-2013, 10:02 PM
PR or no, i personally feel he can be trusted with the work. People get worked up about the prequels, but i think its more of an age/perspective thing than a great gulf of awesomeness seperating the two. Is peter cushing really a better actor than liam neeson? Anywho, with Kasdan writing, Abrams in the chair, and Lucas advising, there is great potential here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Lucas NOT being in the directors chair is EVERYTHING.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Whatever happened to the live action show that was projected back in 2005?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Whatever happened to the live action show that was projected back in 2005?
Posted via Mobile Device

They have at least 125 scripts in episodic form. The issue has been budget.

George said at one point that it would cost $4 million per to produce so for even 12 episodes, you're talking $48 million. HBO and TNT were the early suitors until the numbers were crunched.

Now, with the success of Game of Thrones, it might be a possibility, because they're spending $30-40 million per season (but most of those fees are location fees, not Post, like Star Wars).

Anyway, I think we'll see something in the next 3-5 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
top man, McCloud!
Posted via Mobile Device