BREAKING: Disney Buying LucasFilm

By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Tuesday October 30, 2012 @ 12:47pm PDT

More to come.

@CNBC
BREAKING: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4B in cash & stock

:(

Discuss Thrower
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM
A gif of George Lucas' head transposed on Scrooge McDuck swimming in money goes here,,,

mikey23545
10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
This will greatly impact my life.

Frosty
10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh no!!!

Wait - is this bad?

DJ's left nut
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Why?

Isn't that well pretty much tapped out at this point? Is Disney just going to re-release Star Wars every 5 years?

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
This might be a good thing if it leads to MOAR STAR WARS. :clap:

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Why?

Isn't that well pretty much tapped out at this point? Is Disney just going to re-release Star Wars every 5 years?

You're kidding, right?

This is one of the most powerful IPs the world has ever known.

It prints money.

We're going to see another Star Wars movie.

Micjones
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
What doesn't Disney own at this point?

Buck
10-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Disney has done alright with Marvel. I bet they have big plans for Luke and Indy.

Woodchuck
10-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Good, I hope this means George Lucas is done with Star Wars. He has almost completely destroyed it. I was a huge fan of the originals.

DJ's left nut
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
You're kidding, right?

It prints money.

I'll defer to the die-hards on this one.

It just does not seem like a $4 billion property to me.

Bump
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM

ya if they don't cast models instead of actors for Darth fucking Vader

Al Bundy
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
You're kidding, right?

It prints money.

Will Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca and the Ewoks be fighting Zombies?

SNR
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
For those of you excited about a new Star Wars movie, google Lucas's proposed plot outlines to Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Yeah, let's not make any more Star Wars movies. I'd be fine with that.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Disney has done alright with Marvel. I bet they have big plans for Luke and Indy.

Oh god, no.

Those bastards aren't allowed to touch Indiana Jones.

Pushead2
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews
"Star Wars" episode seven will come out in 2015, Disney says

L.A. Chieffan
10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Fucking Lucas man

loochy
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm down for more star wars as long as they feature more Natalie Portman and her "enhanced" features

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Can Disney now release the original saga on Blu-Ray, minus the Special Edition bullshit? Because I'll buy that.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
As long as Darth Lucas no longer has creative control over the franchise, I don't care who he sells to. At this point Ed Wood would be an improvement.

Die in a fucking fire, George. Like you should have 30 years ago.

bevischief
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
What doesn't Disney own at this point?

The Chiefs.

loochy
10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I really really really want to sell something for 4 billion dollars, then retire

jAZ
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Didn't the last 3 movies prove that Disney already owned Lucas Film?

Predarat
10-30-2012, 03:23 PM
If you thought Jar Jar Binks was bad, wait until you get a load of Disney.

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Didn't the last 3 movies prove that Disney already owned Lucas Film?

Zing!

BigChiefTablet
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
If you thought Jar Jar Binks was bad, wait until you get a load of Disney.

get a load of Disney

get a load

load

Frazod
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
It's not like I'm a big fan, but most aren't most Disney movies good?

The last three Star Wars movies were pure shit.

I'd hate to see Star Wars turned into Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's better than Lucas turning Darth Vader into an emo pussy.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Disney should cast new actors in the roles for Luke, Leia and Han.

Anthony Daniels can reprise his role as C3P0, and some slapdick can wear the Chewie costume.

Take Timothy Zahn's novels and convert them to Episodes VII, VIII and IX.

PROFIT.

Valiant
10-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Uhh.. yeah their IP is huge, most people just think movies. If they are getting all the IP then it is a steal. If they only get movies, it will take a decade to make the money back.

Toys, comics, clothes, merch and video games.

Hell, just make a good trilogy and you get 4b in profit from movies and theatre.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
I dunno if Lucasarts (their video games division) falls under the Lucasfilm umbrella.

But I wouldn't be surprised.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 03:34 PM

:D

I'd say more but I'm sure you can all figure it out.

loochy
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM

I'd say more but I'm sure you can all figure it out.

Let me guess: You go to the gym and you see George Lucas there on a regular basis. He proceeded to tell you all about the plans Disney has and he gave you a copy of the tentative script he gave them.

Red Brooklyn
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Can Disney now release the original saga on Blu-Ray, minus the Special Edition bullshit? Because I'll buy that.
This.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Let me guess: You go to the gym and you see George Lucas there on a regular basis. He proceeded to tell you all about the plans Disney has and he gave you a copy of the tentative script he gave them.

Actually, I've only run into George Lucas once and that was at Wolfgang Puck's Cut steakhouse a few years back.

Let's just say that this transaction wasn't a secret. From what I've been told (which we'll soon find out if it's true or false), is that Star Wars has a "future".

And that's all I'm going to say.

bevischief
10-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Anthony Daniels can reprise his role as C3P0, and some slapdick can wear the Chewie costume.

PROFIT.

Yes.

loochy
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Actually, I've only run into George Lucas once and that was at Wolfgang Puck's Cut steakhouse a few years back.

Let's just say that this transaction wasn't a secret. From what I've been told (which we'll soon find out if it's true or false), is that Star Wars has a "future".

And that's all I'm going to say.

Yes, but will Natalie Portman be invloved? Pleeeeaaassseeeee?

And can that Hayden Christian dude or whoever he is.

Woodchuck
I'm down for more star wars as long as they feature more Natalie Portman and her "enhanced" features

No kidding man. They look like two ewoks rolling around in a blanket.

DaneMcCloud

PROFIT.

It was done successfully with Star Trek, so it can be done.

Although the word on the street is that it would be new scripts, not novel adaptions.

bevischief
Maybe they buy the Chiefs next...

Fruit Ninja
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
For those of you excited about a new Star Wars movie, google Lucas's proposed plot outlines to Star Wars Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Keep making them! They have so much material to work with and different era's in the star wars universe. We get alot of them in cartoon's video games and what not. Im all for this.

Frosty
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM

Although the word on the street is that it would be new scripts, not novel adaptions.

I hope it involves new characters instead of rebooting familiar characters.

Donger
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM
The comments about the last three being "kiddy movies" always strikes me. Are those who complain about this unaware that the first three were also kids movies. The only thing that is different is the audience of the first three when they came out got older.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM

LMAO

Supershadow?

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Um, no.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
The comments about the last three being "kiddy movies" always strikes me. Are those who complain about this unaware that the first three were also kids movies. The only thing that is different is the audience of the first three when they came out got older.

The prequels are far kiddier than the originals.

The only exception is the ewoks in VI.

They did a nice job of making Revenge of the Sith less kiddy.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
They should use the characters from the original KOTOR. That story was better than all of the movies combined.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
From what I've been told (which we'll soon find out if it's true or false), is that Star Wars has a "future".

Of course it has a future.

It might be the strongest IP of all time.

I'm really excited to see what some other creative minds do with it.

Ace Gunner
looking forward to roger goodell starring in the next star wars.

loochy
They should use the characters from the original KOTOR. That story was better than all of the movies combined.

Darth Revan FTW

Fruit Ninja

yeah, thats the one thing i didnt get. The originals while bad ass, are cheesy as fuck. Just like the newer ones.

Anyways, im all for more star wars

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

I've seen enough prequel bullshit.

I want to see the remnants of the Empire being mopped up by the New Republic.

Stormtroopers, TIE Fighters and Star Destroyers, that shit is Star Wars.

Frazod

I don't agree with this. There are a lot of things that I liked as a child that I recognize as kiddie-oriented crap now - the original Battlestar Galactica is a good example.

DaneMcCloud
Of course it has a future.

It might be the strongest IP of all time.

I'm really excited to see what some other creative minds do with it.

Well, it didn't until this transaction.

George wanted to do something that rivaled Avatar but in the end, he just doesn't have the energy or willpower.

Oh, and the criticism of the second trilogy really got to him.

Donger

You are referring to Jar Jar (or whatever it's name was)? Considering that the Episode I was about a little Anakin, I trust you aren't complaining about that one being kiddy.

DeepSouth
10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Didn't Lucas do American Graffiti ? I love that movie...........

Frazod
10-30-2012, 03:50 PM

The worst thing about it would be Carth. He's the only character in the Star Wars universe that whines as much as Anakin.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 03:51 PM

His profit from American Graffiti funded Star Wars, ILM, Lucasfilm, etc.

Donger
10-30-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't agree with this. There are a lot of things that I liked as a child that I recognize as kiddie-oriented crap now - the original Battlestar Galactica is a good example.

I suppose that depends on how you define kiddie. If you label the prequels as that just because of Jar Jar, I think that's an over-statement.

listopencil
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
It's not like I'm a big fan, but most aren't most Disney movies good?

The last three Star Wars movies were pure shit.

I'd hate to see Star Wars turned into Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's better than Lucas turning Darth Vader into an emo pussy.

Exactly. Hopefully this means that Lucas will have no more creative control of the franchise. I would trust Disney's thinktank of robotic movie creating automatons with the Star Wars universe more than Lucas himself.

Ace Gunner
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=134&pictureid=1230

Direckshun
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Didn't Lucasfilm release Rango?

Frazod

There are basically two George Lucases. The young visionary film maker, and the bloated egomaniacal douche he later became.

listopencil
Oh, and the criticism of the second trilogy really got to him.

Good. It was poorly done.

loochy
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

woah woah woah why does the empire have to lose? I want to see those dirty rebels doing some hard time.

Al Bundy
10-30-2012, 03:56 PM
There are basically two George Lucases. The young visionary film maker, and the bloated egomaniacal douche he later became.

You're describing Carl Peterson as well?

Count Alex's Losses
I suppose that depends on how you define kiddie. If you label the prequels as that just because of Jar Jar, I think that's an over-statement.

No, also because the first one's lead was a fucking kid.

And was filled with cutesy bullshit like fart jokes.

Frosty
yeah, thats the one thing i didnt get. The originals while bad ass, are cheesy as ****. Just like the newer ones.

My youngest son (15) can't stand the originals. Says the acting is terrible (most talking about Hamill). I can't say I disagree but still love the original trilogy. I think kids today are more sophisticated.

They need to pattern any new Star Wars after the animated series, which is darker.

listopencil
woah woah woah why does the empire have to lose? I want to see those dirty rebels doing some hard time.

The good guys have to win in the end in the Star Wars universe.

Saulbadguy
Yes.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 03:57 PM
My youngest son (15) can't stand the originals. Says the acting is terrible (most talking about Hamill). I can't say I disagree but still love the original trilogy. I think kids today are more sophisticated.

They need to pattern any new Star Wars after the animated series, which is darker.

The acting in the original Star Wars is laughable, especially Harrison Ford.

He took a tremendous leap from Star Wars to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 03:57 PM

It's not that they're aimed at children. It's that they're BAD, HORRIBLE movies. Terrible. Poorly acted, poorly directed. If you can find the time between checking all of our local gas prices, you might watch Plinkett's reviews of Episodes I, II and III at redlettermedia.com. He ablely identifies everything about them that completely sucks. Well, almost everything.

I could go home and happily watch Shrek tonight. That's aimed at kids, too. But unlike any of the recent Star Wars movies, it's actually good.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Maybe Dane can answer this:

Some time ago George left the Lucasfilm empire to Kathleen Kennedy.

Is she still in control now, or will Disney have control?

Donger
No, also because the first one's lead was a ****ing kid.

And was filled with cutesy bullshit like fart jokes.

Errr, wasn't the point of Episode I to show how Anakin developed? If so, how do you do that without using, well, a child?

listopencil
It's not that they're aimed at children. It's that they're BAD, HORRIBLE movies. Terrible. Poorly acted, poorly directed. If you can find the time between checking all of our local gas prices, you might watch Plinkett's reviews of Episodes I, II and III at redlettermedia.com. He ablely identifies everything about them that completely sucks. Well, almost everything.

I could go home and happily watch Shrek tonight. That's aimed at kids, too. But unlike any of the recent Star Wars movies, it's actually good.

Yup. Look at almost all of the Pixar films. Obvious children's movies that are still enjoyable.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Errr, wasn't the point of Episode I to show how Anakin developed? If so, how do you do that without using, well, a child?

You don't.

It was a bad idea, and Jake Lloyd sucked.

Luke was a teen when we first met him, so it should have been with Anakin.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:00 PM

No argument there. But I don't agree that the first were not kiddie movies. They were.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM
You don't.

Bad actor + bad director + bad story = steaming pile of shit.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM
No argument there. But I don't agree that the first were not kiddie movies. They were.

You cannot watch The Empire Strikes Back, objectively, and tell me it's a movie aimed at kids.

It's serious, dark and dramatic, and often grisly.

Episode IV is slightly lighter, but not by much.

There is a huge difference in tone and style.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
You don't.

So, you would have started with Episode II and not done I?

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Maybe Dane can answer this:

Some time ago George left the Lucasfilm empire to Kathleen Kennedy.

Is she still in control now, or will Disney have control?

I haven't heard anything about the structure of the company, just the rumor that it was going down and that Star Wars movies have a future.

I wouldn't think they'd begin any wholesale changes too soon but with Alan Horn in charge, anything is possible.

How about Christopher Nolan directing a Star Wars trilogy?

listopencil
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Have you ever read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? A quick google search says that Ender was six years old when he was picked to start his training. Yet that book was incredibly good. I hope the movie lives up to it.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:04 PM
You cannot watch The Empire Strikes Back, objectively, and tell me it's a movie aimed at kids.

Yes, I can. It's a story about space stuff and muppets. Darker, sure, but still a kids movie.

I presume you meant Episode VI?

listopencil

http://employeesofthemonth.net/phpBB3/images/smilies/jimp.png

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/JIMP_6442c7_316609.jpg

Discuss Thrower

Awh c'mon now, don't troll the fanbois!

DaneMcCloud

The problem is that Lucas scrapped that idea after TPM.

Originally, it was supposed to show this sweet little kid and his eventual fall to the Dark Side in which he slaughtered billions of sentient life forms.

Later, he changed it to his dream of trying to save Padme from death. It ruined the whole narrative.

Donger
Have you ever read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? A quick google search says that Ender was six years old when he was picked to start his training. Yet that book was incredibly good. I hope the movie lives up to it.

No.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:05 PM
So, you would have started with Episode II and not done I?

The plot of Episode I wasn't horrible.

I'd just have Anakin be 16.

And eliminate fart jokes, Jar Jar and anything else silly that destroyed dramatic tension.

For fuck's sake, Jar Jar was doing slapstick during the climactic battle in Episode I.

That's like having Jek Porkins whip out a bucket of KFC during the attack on the Death Star.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2263/1991648366_7df895865d.jpg

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes, I can. It's a story about space stuff and muppets. Darker, sure, but still a kids movie.

I presume you meant Episode VI?

No.

I meant Episode V.

There are no fucking muppets.

YODA DOESN'T COUNT.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
The plot of Episode I wasn't horrible.

I'd just have Anakin be 16.

And eliminate fart jokes, Jar Jar and anything else silly that destroyed dramatic tension.

For ****'s sake, Jar Jar was doing slapstick during the climactic battle in Episode I.

That's like having Jek Porkins whip out a bucket of KFC during the attack on the Death Star.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2263/1991648366_7df895865d.jpg

Okay, so one kid movie in the I-III, right?

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
No.

I meant Episode V.

There are no ****ing muppets.

YODA DOESN'T COUNT.

Yoda was a muppet.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Children were certainly part of the target group to be sure, but it was basically pure action adventure - at least the first one was. The second one was not really aimed at children at all. The third one had the teddy bear things, which was really the first true FOR THE KIDDIES/GIRLS aspect.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember when Star Wars came out. Everybody went nuts over it, not just little kids. I was 11, and had to practically be dragged to see it by one of my friends, just because I thought it would just be another stupid space movie.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Okay, so one kid movie in the I-III, right?

The first movie was filled with kids. All of Anakin's little buddies.

listopencil
No.

It perfectly illustrates that the age of the characters has nothing to with how mature the storyline has to be.

Frosty
Later, he changed it to his dream of trying to save Padme from death. It ruined the whole narrative.

It turned into an annoying kid turning into a whiny teen-ager.

The "love story" was incredibly hard to buy.

Count Alex's Losses
Yoda was a muppet.

He was also a real, serious character with a legitimate role.

He wasn't fucking Jar Jar.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Children were certainly part of the target group to be sure, but it was basically pure action adventure - at least the first one was. The second one was not really aimed at children at all. The third one had the teddy bear things, which was really the first true FOR THE KIDDIES/GIRLS aspect.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember when Star Wars came out. Everybody went nuts over it, not just little kids. I was 11, and had to practically be dragged to see it by one of my friends, just because I thought it would just be another stupid space movie.

I was a few years younger than that. Saw it in London.

I realize that the films appealed to those who weren't young, but I think the kids who watched the first ones when they came out got older during the interim and were naturally disappointed when they watched the new ones.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:10 PM
The first movie was filled with kids. All of Anakin's little buddies.

You didn't answer my question.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:11 PM
He was also a real, serious character with a legitimate role.

He wasn't ****ing Jar Jar.

Really? Like when he steals Luke's rations and makes cute, little giggles?

bevischief
Jar Jar is enough reason for a reboot.

DaneMcCloud
It turned into an annoying kid turning into a whiny teen-ager.

The "love story" was incredibly hard to buy.

Originally, he was going to show how Anakin's age, stubborness, undisciplined lifestyle would lead him down the path of the Dark Side. It was supposed to be a dark, slippery slope and more of a fable or morality tale.

Instead, due to all of the criticism of TPM, he later changed it to be about his love for Padme. It was ridiculous and I actually think that AOTC is worse than Return of the Hairy Fucking Cuntrags.

listopencil
10-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Or when he speaks of ancient platitudes in broken English?

Strongside
10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
This is the best possible news other than Disney buying Pioli and Cassel from us for a half eaten ewok dick and a pod racer.

InChiefsHell
10-30-2012, 04:16 PM
My youngest son (15) can't stand the originals. Says the acting is terrible (most talking about Hamill). I can't say I disagree but still love the original trilogy. I think kids today are more fucking stupid

FYP

Frosty
Originally, he was going to show how Anakin's age, stubborness, undisciplined lifestyle would lead him down the path of the Dark Side. It was supposed to be a dark, slippery slope and more of a fable or morality tale.

Instead, due to all of the criticism of TPM, he later changed it to be about his love for Padme. It was ridiculous and I actually think that AOTC is worse than Return of the Hairy ****ing ****rags.

It would have been cooler if part of Anakin's slide into the dark side was his obsession with Padme, who rebuffs him and wants nothing to do with him. Luke and Leia could have been a product of Vader forcing himself on her, forcing her to flee and hide. This would have also fit better with Leia's recollection of her mother (implying that she didn't die in childhood).

DaneMcCloud
Or when he speaks of ancient platitudes in broken English?

Well, at least his broken English isn't insulting to ethnic groups in America, much like the dumbass Trade Federation characters.

That was ridiculous.

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 04:17 PM

What on earth makes you think that Lucasfilm is just six film prints of Star Wars?

listopencil
Well, at least his broken English isn't insulting to ethnic groups in America, much like the dumbass Trade Federation characters.

That was ridiculous.

I know. I despised the Jar Jar Binks character, and that was just one weak character in a line of them.

DaneMcCloud
It would have been cooler if part of Anakin's slide into the dark side was his obsession with Padme, who rebuffs him and wants nothing to do with him. Luke and Leia could have been a product of Vader forcing himself on her, forcing her to flee and hide. This would have also fit better with Leia's recollection of her mother (implying that she didn't die in childhood).

There are countless possibilities yet Lucas picked the one that doesn't make any sense and virtually negated everything about the character that many people loved.

Frosty
FYP

:rolleyes:

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM

That was ridiculous.

Wait, what? Which ones?

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 04:18 PM

He does that to throw Luke off and effectively evaluate him without him being aware. It made the character brilliant. You think it's jar jar binks, and then it's Shogan Toranaga.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I was a few years younger than that. Saw it in London.

I realize that the films appealed to those who weren't young, but I think the kids who watched the first ones when they came out got older during the interim and were naturally disappointed when they watched the new ones.

I agree with this - but again, not because they're kid movies - it's because they're horrible.

You really should watch those Plinkett reviews - at least the review of Phantom Menace. The review is far better than the movie itself.

Strongside
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
There are countless possibilities yet Lucas picked the one that doesn't make any sense and virtually negated everything about the character that many people loved.

I just wanted to see Vader rip someones head off using only the force. Lucas didn't deliver, and I was disappoint.

listopencil
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Wait, what? Which ones?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb1tinbAuU1qabdo1.jpg

Frazod
I just wanted to see Vader rip someones head off using only the force. Lucas didn't deliver, and I was disappoint.

I wanted to see him put his lightsaber through Jar Jar's fucking head. :grr:

listopencil
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb1t1kWzDW1qabdo1.png

listopencil
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb1u5t2JxK1qabdo1.jpg

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Wait, what? Which ones?

http://www.stardestroyer.net/TPMRevelations/Neimoidians.jpg

"My rord, day are TWO jedi out dare! Now, I bling you hot and a-sour soup why you wait for NOODLE!"

durtyrute
Disney is the debil!!

listopencil
There you go Donger. Enough troll food to make a nice lunch for yourself.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:22 PM
He does that to throw Luke off and effectively evaluate him without him being aware. It made the character brilliant. You think it's jar jar binks, and then it's Shogan Toranaga.

I see. And the, "Ahhhh! Cannot get your ship out!" line?

InChiefsHell
10-30-2012, 04:22 PM
:rolleyes:

:evil:

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
There you go Donger. Enough troll food to make a nice lunch for yourself.

Sorry, I still don't know which ethnic group(s) were insulted, even with the pictures.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Asians? Really?

InChiefsHell
10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I still don't know which ethnic group(s) were insulted, even with the pictures.

I'm thinking it's the overtly "oriental" accents used...pickin on da Chinese peeps doncha know...

Frosty
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
:evil:

Maybe sophisticated was the wrong word but they are definitely more jaded when it comes to movies these days. Anyone around my age or older (48) probably remembers how scary Jaws was when it came out. My kids have watched it and barely flinched.

They both definitely liked the new Star Trek and Battlestar Gallactica more than the originals.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Go on youtube and watch the cutscenes from The Force Unleashed.

Vader is a huge, raging asshole in all of them and beating the fuck out of everything and anything.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM

It had a point, though.

That was Yoda testing Luke.

It wasn't Yoda being cute just to be cute.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Asians? Really?

Asian and Latino groups were outraged at the ethnic stereotyping.

Personally, I thought they sounded like my Sicilian-born great grandfather but regardless, it was a very poor decision on the part of Lucas & Lucasfilm to voice those characters as such.

Thematically, it would have been way cooler if they didn't speak English (or "Basic", as its known in the Star Wars universe) and instead spoke some type of menacing language that needed subtitles.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
It had a point, though.

That was Yoda testing Luke.

It wasn't Yoda being cute just to be cute.

And you know that Yoda was testing Luke how?

vailpass
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Asian and Latino groups were outraged at the ethnic stereotyping.

I no suhplized. Prease to bitch if you hanga dem wiss a numbah one new rope.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
And you know that Yoda was testing Luke how?

Did you watch the fucking movie? LMAO

That's exactly what he was doing.

After Yoda reveals who he really is, he's a completely different friggin' character.

"I cannot teach him, the boy has no patience."

Christ almighty, Donger, you fucking troll.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Did you watch the ****ing movie? LMAO

After Yoda reveals who he really is, he's a completely different friggin' character.

Christ almighty, Donger, you ****ing troll.

Yes I watched the movie (obviously).

I understand that you believe that he was testing him, but I don't agree. It was just a cute scene.

CoMoChief
10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
They should make a star wars theme park add-on to disney world.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I understand that you believe that he was testing him, but I don't agree. It was just a cute scene.

Seriously?

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Seriously?

Yes. How is Yoda acting cute testing Luke in anyway?

vailpass
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Did you watch the ****ing movie? LMAO

Christ almighty, Donger, you ****ing troll.

I like how you fullgrown fanz talk about it like it's real. LMAO

vailpass
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
They should make a star wars theme park add-on to disney world.

Of course they will. Disney doesn't acquire without a robust plan to market every piece of a property into oblivion.

Frosty

Already explained. I think you completely missed the point of the scene.

DaneMcCloud

He's totally testing his patience. He later says he's watched Luke for a long time and his mind was never focused, he was impatient, etc.

That's exactly what Yoda was testing during their initial encounter.

The sad part about this scene is that once again, Lucas negated it with the prequels. We were never shown Obi Wan as impatient or like Luke in any way, shape or form.

Oh, and then Yoda challenges Luke about his fear, which is something he abhors in the TPM.

Count Alex's Losses
Yes I watched the movie (obviously).

Well, it's cool that you're OK with being wrong.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:54 PM
He's totally testing his patience. He later says he's watched Luke for a long time and his mind was never focused, he was impatient, etc.

That's exactly what Yoda was testing during their initial encounter.

The sad part about this scene is that once again, Lucas negated it with the prequels. We were never shown Obi Wan as impatient or like Luke in any way, shape or form.

Oh, and then Yoda challenges Luke about his fear, which is something he abhors in the TPM.

Okay, but I think it's more likely that Lucas was just showing a cute muppet. Unless of course you have some evidence that was Lucas' actual intention...

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, it's cool that you're OK with being wrong.

Certainly, and if you can prove I am, I'll accept it

Swanman
10-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Okay, but I think it's more likely that Lucas was just showing a cute muppet. Unless of course you have some evidence that was Lucas' actual intention...

There is nothing "cute" about the entirety of Empire Strikes Back. That was 100% Star Wars badassery.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
What about some of han's lines? "Laugh it up, fuzz ball". Testing Chewy, I suppose...

vailpass
There is nothing "cute" about the entirety of Empire Strikes Back. That was 100% Star Wars badassery.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud

"A cute muppet" would have been those idiots in Return of the Muppets (ROTJ).

If you're not convinced, go to the library and check out The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film.

It's very interesting and details character evolution before and during the movie making process.

Donger
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Except the cute Yoda part, yes.

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM

If you're not convinced, go to the library and check out The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film.

It's very interesting and details character evolution before and during the movie making process.

No, Yoda was a cute muppet during that scene. He got darker of course.

Buck
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know if we're past this argument or not yet, but by today's standards, all 6 Star Wars movies should be considered kiddie movies.

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Does this book prove that Yoda was testing Luke with his cuteness?

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Does this book prove that Yoda was testing Luke with his cuteness?

Read it and find out

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Read it and find out

No

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Certainly, and if you can prove I am, I'll accept it

Read this, dipshit.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/6343/was-yoda-fully-sane-on-dagobah

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Read this, dipshit.

I'm sorry, you think that proves what?

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 05:06 PM
No

Why not?

If I had answered "No", you'd have asked me to prove it.

If you're really interested, read the book.

And FWIW, I've never found Yoda to be "cute" in any way, shape or form.

He was a grizzled up green thing.

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Why not?

No, if you'd given a yes or no, I would have accepted your answer. You chose not to give one.

Donger
10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Why not?

And FWIW, I've never found Yoda to be "cute" in any way, shape or form.

He was a grizzled up green thing.

Even when he was fighting with R2 yelling " mine! Mine!"?

Count Alex's Losses

:facepalm:

How about the official Star Wars fucking wikipedia entry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_V:_The_Empire_Strikes_Back

Luke escapes with R2-D2 in an X-wing fighter and crash lands on Dagobah. He is soon found by the diminutive Yoda, who at first pretends to be a simple swamp inhabitant in order to test Luke's patience. After conferring with Obi-Wan's spirit, Yoda accepts Luke as his pupil.

loochy
Read this, dipshit.

I agree with Donger on this part. That's just an answer made up by some fan.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
No, if you'd given a yes or no, I would have accepted your answer. You chose not to give one.

Fine. No, he wasn't meant to be "cute".

In early drafts, IIRC, his name was Mensch, then Yoda Mensch. They finally dropped it to just Yoda but he was described as being more "frog-like" in the early drafts.

I'm sure that if the technology would have been available at the time, he would have been a CGI character, as he was in AOTC and ROTS (and later, TPM).

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
COME ON DONGER. WHAT DO YOU HAVE THAT PROVES YODA WAS JUST BEING CUTE?

http://yoda.locutus.be/yoda.php

. Stranded on the swampy world, Luke met a comical elfin creature that promised him aid. The creature's antics wore thin on Luke's short patience, but it was the first of many tests -- tests that Luke would fail.

stevieray
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
LMAO

this is serious stuff....ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
HELLOOOOOOOOOO DONGER

http://www.yodajeff.com/pages/biography/

Knowing full well who had come to see him, Yoda approached the young man, pretending not to be the Jedi Master, testing the youth for his patience and aptitude. Though reluctant at first, Yoda took the youth in as a student after revealing, much to young Luke Skywalker's shock, that he was indeed the Jedi Master

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
How about the official Star Wars WOOKIEPEDIA? IT DOESN'T GET ANY MORE OFFICIAL THAN THAT YOU INCREDIBLE GIT.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda

When Luke Skywalker, son of Anakin Skywalker, arrived on Dagobah, he briefly encountered Luke. However, he kept his true identity to himself, acting like a primitive lifeform as a means to test Luke, although he did promise to lead Luke to him

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Fine. No, he wasn't meant to be "cute".

In early drafts, IIRC, his name was Mensch, then Yoda Mensch. They finally dropped it to just Yoda but he was described as being more "frog-like" in the early drafts.

You mean like ...

http://www.leonardcohenforum.com/download/file.php?id=2590

vailpass
10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
LMAO

this is serious stuff....ROFL

Dude. I'm laughing my ass off.

Dane makes his living in the industry so I'm not including him in my amusement factor but some of the others....

GoChiefs is getting all red in the face about this shit like it really happened.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm getting red in the face because Donger is trolling hard...

And I refuse to admit that the prequels were ANYTHING like the originals...which they weren't...apart from the ewoks....and even the ewoks were shown writhing on the ground in pain and dying.

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Dude. I'm laughing my ass off.

Dane makes his living in the industry so I'm not including him in my amusement factor but some of the others....

GoChiefs is getting all red in the face about this shit like it really happened.

Actually, to me, it's the exact opposite.

I expect GoChiefs to be this way. However, I'm surprised Dane got sucked into one of Donger's webs.

C'mon, Dane! :evil:

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Interesting.....wonder why he sold it off? He kids didnt want the empire when he dies in a few years?

Strongside
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
The midichlorian count is high in this thread.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Donger always sucks me in...I'm sure he wants a recording of George Lucas defining that scene, though.

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
The midichlorian count is high in this thread.

Speaking of Lucas bullshit.

siberian khatru
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Donger always sucks me in...I'm sure he wants a recording of George Lucas defining that scene, though.

Fight the good fight.

Valiant
10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Yoda was a muppet.

So was the alien and chestburster in alien. Does not make it a kids movies.

Hell pg13 movies between then and now are warpdrives apart.

The only thing kiddie about the first trilogy was the immature luke and his acting.
There was nothing serious about the 2nd trilogy. Everything was bad. When a cartoon ala clone wars is better then the movies andmore serious you know your movie sucked.

Rausch
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Interesting.....wonder why he sold it off? He kids didnt want the empire when he dies in a few years?

They'll probably have to battle him for the rights in court. After years of fighting he'll see their point and just give in...

WV
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM

He and his kids are so unfathomably rich they aren't even in touch with any value the franchise will have in the future.

Canofbier
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I don't know if we're past this argument or not yet, but by today's standards, all 6 Star Wars movies should be considered kiddie movies.

I disagree. There's a difference between a "kiddie movie" and one that's family friendly.

This is a kiddie movie:
http://bigfanboy.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/spykids4d.jpg

Whereas this is a family movie:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/89/Muppets_ver4.jpg/215px-Muppets_ver4.jpg

The Star Wars series is meant to appeal to people of all ages, not just children. That makes it a family movie.

vailpass
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM

4B is empire enough.

Canofbier
10-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Also, to answer some of the questions people raised about this story:

Disney Buys LucasFilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming In 2015 (http://updates.kotaku.com/post/34651238315/disney-buys-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-7-coming-in)

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/09/star_wars_at_disney_5.jpg

This is not a joke. Multiple news outlets are reporting that Disney has bought LucasFilm, and will release Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015.

Will it star Luke? Anakin? Jar-Jar? We have no clue. All we know is THAT SHIT CRAY.

On top of that? Disney “plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.” George Lucas won’t be writing or directing, though he’ll serve as “creative consultant” on the film.

As part of this deal, Disney also gets LucasArts, the game studio responsible for many games in the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, among others. (Including the beloved classic Monkey Island adventure games.)

Disney said all LucasArts projects will proceed as normal—”For the time being all projects are business as usual. We are excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings.”

This includes the much-hyped Star Wars 1313, announced earlier this year.

In a conference call this afternoon, Disney’s Bob Iger said they will be focusing on social and mobile games and will likely license their IPs for console gaming—meaning you’ll see other studios making Star Wars games (as has happened a few times already, like with BioWare’s MMORPG The Old Republic).

—Jason Schreier

(Photo: Orlando Sentinel)

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:36 PM
I feel good about this.

I'm also going to pull out my fucking Empire DVD and turn on the Lucas commentary track and see if he talks about Yoda.

Donger, you fuck.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I look forward to "Jar Jar and Mickey, A Very Special Christmas" in a few years.

Rausch
10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
On top of that? Disney “plans to release a new Star Wars feature film every two or three years for the foreseeable future.”

:spock:

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
This is pretty cool. The SW 7 opener could be like the Episode I frenzy all over again...except it won't suck...hopefully.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
:spock:

That's what Lucas did in the 80s.

I'M ALL FOR IT BITCHES.

GEEKS OWN THIS WORLD.

SNR
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
If we're going to make new nerd porn, I'd much rather see a new Star Trek TV series. Set it a century or so after the events in TNG/DS9/VOY. Federation has trans-warp. The assholes can still be the Romulans and the Borg, but then they can resurrect some of the other baddies from previous series since with trans-warp technology the galaxy is now a much smaller place.

Get Rick Berman to put his name on it, but then leave him out of the planning meetings. Let him sit in the corner and smile and nod at him when he gives suggestions. Then ignore them entirely.

wazu
10-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Love this. Have they said anything about releasing original versions of Eps 4-6?

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
That's what Lucas did in the 80s.

I'M ALL FOR IT BITCHES.

GEEKS OWN THIS WORLD.

I got four words for you....

Guillermo

Del

Fucking

Toro.

Let's do this thing!!

saphojunkie
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Love this. Have they said anything about releasing original versions of Eps 4-6?

Word on the street is we're finally getting original editions in blu-ray.

Nothing like watching Han shoot first in 1080P!!

Fat Elvis
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
$4B for Howard the Duck?

SNR
10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
$4B for Howard the Duck?

Let's get a remake of that shit going!

Direckshun
10-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Didn't Lucasfilm release Rango?

Herro?

tk13
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
How many years is going to take you fools to realize Donger is basically our version of Brick Tamland. Only instead of forecasting the weather, he forecasts gas prices.

Guru
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM

As long as Lucas doesn't direct I'm fine with that.

Guru
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Yeah. Lucas directed IV but not V and VI

Guru
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
I haven't heard anything about the structure of the company, just the rumor that it was going down and that Star Wars movies have a future.

I wouldn't think they'd begin any wholesale changes too soon but with Alan Horn in charge, anything is possible.

yes please

Mr. Laz
10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Star Wars: Episode 7" is slated for release in 2015
GEORGE LUCAS
NEW 'STAR WARS' MOVIE
Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Bil

BREAKING NEWS
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/10/30/1030-disney-lucas-article-1.jpg
If George Lucas wasn't rich before, he sure as hell is now -- because Disney just bought his movie company Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 BILLION ... and has already announced a NEW STAR WARS MOVIE!!!

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers." According to Disney, "Star Wars: Episode 7" is slated for release in 2015.

Lucas will be a "creative consultant" on all new "Star Wars" films.

It's pretty crazy ... considering Lucas said he would never make another "Star Wars" movie -- telling the New York Times, "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Lucas even told us directly back in March ... "Star Wars" was DEAD (http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/29/george-lucas-star-wars-dead/) forever.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/30/disney-lucasfilm-purchase-4-billion-new-star-wars-movie-episode-7/#ixzz2ApQKZl00

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 06:36 PM
As long as Lucas doesn't direct I'm fine with that.

There's no chance that Lucas was able to sell his company for $4 billion with the express rights to direct or produce future Star Wars films.

I just hope they don't fuck it up. Disney really doesn't make movies anymore. They're partnered up with Pixar (another of Lucas's old movie studios) and Marvel.

Most of the true Disney movies are direct to DVD.

Guru
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Star Wars: Episode 7" is slated for release in 2015
GEORGE LUCAS
NEW 'STAR WARS' MOVIE
Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Bil

BREAKING NEWS
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/10/30/1030-disney-lucas-article-1.jpg
If George Lucas wasn't rich before, he sure as hell is now -- because Disney just bought his movie company Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 BILLION ... and has already announced a NEW STAR WARS MOVIE!!!

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers." According to Disney, "Star Wars: Episode 7" is slated for release in 2015.

Lucas will be a "creative consultant" on all new "Star Wars" films.

It's pretty crazy ... considering Lucas said he would never make another "Star Wars" movie -- telling the New York Times, "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Lucas even told us directly back in March ... "Star Wars" was DEAD (http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/29/george-lucas-star-wars-dead/) forever.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/30/disney-lucasfilm-purchase-4-billion-new-star-wars-movie-episode-7/#ixzz2ApQKZl00whiny baby Lucas. Those prequels sucked man. face it.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
yes please

Fuck yes, please. How about a reboot of I through III that doesn't suck? :titus:

BigChiefTablet
10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm getting red in the face because Donger is trolling hard...

And I refuse to admit that the prequels were ANYTHING like the originals...which they weren't...apart from the ewoks....and even the ewoks were shown writhing on the ground in pain and dying.

The ewoks had fucking zippers on the back of their fur-suits. And Donger is indeed trolling hard, I imagine it's just to watch the geeks have a shit fit.

Guru
10-30-2012, 06:48 PM
**** yes, please. How about a reboot of I through III that doesn't suck? :titus:

Only if they completely change the story and plot.

loochy
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
...speaking of Donger and debates, where is Mr. Frankie?

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
Disney really doesn't make movies anymore.

Wreck it Ralph? Pirate of the Carribean? The Lone Ranger?

SnakeXJones
10-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Wreck it Ralph? Pirate of the Carribean? The Lone Ranger?All Marvel Movies also

Frazod
10-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Only if they completely change the story and plot.

That would be a requirement to make it not suck.

listopencil
10-30-2012, 07:50 PM
"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Try making a good movie.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Wreck it Ralph? Pirate of the Carribean? The Lone Ranger?

The last two were produced by Bruckheimer, not Disney.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
The last two were produced by Bruckheimer, not Disney.

Ah..ok....They just distributed.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 07:54 PM
All Marvel Movies also

JFC people, Marvel produces the films, Disney distributes.

Guru
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Speaking of Pirates and Lone Ranger. Is there going to be another Pirates and when does Lone Ranger come out?

Buck

Oh that makes sense.

Rausch

Which is why they've been better lately...

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Speaking of Pirates and Lone Ranger. Is there going to be another Pirates and when does Lone Ranger come out?

My guess is yes on another Pirates, since they are box office gold. Lone Ranger is May or June of next year. There's a trailer out already.

petegz28
10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Star Wars 7 in 2015? HTF can you have a Star Wars 7 with no Vader?

WhiteWhale
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Are you guys really THAT desperate for more star wars films that you'll inevitably hate?

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM

Because there's a whole big galaxy out there, son.

keg in kc
10-30-2012, 08:55 PM
I just hope they leave Clone Wars the fuck alone. It's gotten really good this season.

Frazod
10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU RAPED OUR CHILDHOOD, GEORGE :#

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM

There's an Expanded Universe that IMO, is infinitely more exciting than the events of Episode 1, 2, 3 and 6.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Because there's a whole big galaxy out there, son.

I don't think I like the sound of the Young Jedi series as the next saga but shit does get pretty dark at times.

Mr. Laz
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
THAT'S BECAUSE YOU RAPED OUR CHILDHOOD, GEORGE :#it wasn't all bad

http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/princess-leia-gold-bikini.jpg

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Yes, that would be acceptable.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't think I like the sound of the Young Jedi series as the next saga but shit does get pretty dark at times.

The story should focus on Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi Academy while the New Republic mops up remnants of The Galactic Empire.

There could be an awesome plot twist with one of Luke's trainees turning to the darkside, and he goes off to help The Empire.

I am stupid and like fanboy plots.

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:20 PM
How many years is going to take you fools to realize Donger is basically our version of Brick Tamland. Only instead of forecasting the weather, he forecasts gas prices.

I had to look that up.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:23 PM
The story should focus on Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi Academy while the New Republic mops up remnants of The Galactic Empire.

There could be an awesome plot twist with one of Luke's trainees turning to the darkside, and he goes off to help The Empire.

I am stupid and like fanboy plots.

I'm guessing by the synopsis that I read earlier today, they're going to stick with the Young Jedi Series. Hopefully, they'll incorporate events that happen later in the timeline (no spoiler).

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I had to look that up.

Not surprising

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Not surprising

Yes, I've never seen that film.

I actually thought of you a while back. I went to my first movie at a theater since Gladiator for a date with the wife. We saw The Master at one of those leather recliner, get served dinner-type theaters.

Absolutely hated it and left with 30 minutes to go.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm guessing by the synopsis that I read earlier today, they're going to stick with the Young Jedi Series.

The Kevin J. Anderson books? Or something else?

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:28 PM

What did Lucas' DVD commentary say about the cute Yoda scene?

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 09:29 PM
For people who like girls:

Young Jedi Knights is a Star Wars series by science fiction writer Kevin J. Anderson and his wife Rebecca Moesta. The series covers the Jedi training of Jacen and Jaina Solo, the twin children of Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo. The series begins 23 years ABY (after Battle of Yavin), when the twins are fourteen years old.

Originally intended to cover six novels, the series eventually stretched to fourteen volumes. It spanned three distinct plot arcs:

The first plot arc covers the young Jedi Knights' fight against the dark Jedi Brakiss and his Shadow Academy, which eventually builds in strength enough to attack the Jedi academy on Yavin 4. This plot arc also introduces the twins, as well as other supporting characters.

The series became popular enough to support a second plot arc, consisting of the novels Shards of Alderaan to The Emperor's Plague. This series deals with the young Jedi Knights' fight against the Diversity Alliance, a group of non-humans seeking to take down the New Republic.

The final three-part series details the young Jedi Knights' relationship with Anja Gallandro, the daughter of Gallandro, a gunslinger who died while fighting Han Solo a long time ago.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes, I've never seen that film.

I actually thought of you a while back. I went to my first movie at a theater since Gladiator for a date with the wife. We saw The Master at one of those leather recliner, get served dinner-type theaters.

Absolutely hated it and left with 30 minutes to go.

I was just teasing. You're not exactly my lifeline to pop culture.

I haven't seen the film but I'm told it was amazing. It's about the beginnings of Scientology and while it's not something I'd pay to see in a theater, I'm looking forward to seeing it once it hits the premium channels.

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
I read somewhere that Liea was/is barren. Is that not correct?

Donger
10-30-2012, 09:33 PM
I was just teasing. You're not exactly my lifeline to pop culture.

I haven't seen the film but I'm told it was amazing. It's about the beginnings of Scientology and while it's not something I'd pay to see in a theater, I'm looking forward to seeing it once it hits the premium channels.

Oh thank heaven for that.

I knew what it was about, but it was just too esoteric for me. Just very contrived and forced. It was a shame, since the wife said, "Great, so it's going to be another 10 years before I get you out to see a film." She hated it too, though.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:36 PM

From my understanding (which could be incorrect), the New Jedi Order, specifically dealing with the Yuuzhan Vong.

I'd imagine the first movie would take the first trilogy by Anderson, then in the second, introduce the threat of the Yuuzhan Vong, with the finale being similar to that conclusion.

Easy 6
10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
With the right setup, Episode 7 might be really cool.

A new vision for the franchise, yeah, i could probably get into that as long as they dont go even more kiddie friendly than the last three... but oh yeah, its a Disney joint now... uh oh.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh thank heaven for that.

I knew what it was about, but it was just too esoteric for me. Just very contrived and forced. It was a shame, since the wife said, "Great, so it's going to be another 10 years before I get you out to see a film." She hated it too, though.

I'm with you: I don't do esoteric in the movie theater.

These days, with tickets to Arclight set at $16 dollars per person with another $2-4 for parking, I can't justify dropping a $100 bucks to see a movie. Pre-movie drinks are mandatory.

I enjoy my surround sound, 60" LCD show and Blu-ray player far more than the cinema these days, especially considering I can pause for the cause without missing any action.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 09:40 PM
With the right setup, Episode 7 might be really cool.

A new vision for the franchise, yeah, i could probably get into that as long as they dont go even more kiddie friendly than the last three... but oh yeah, its a Disney joint now... uh oh.

They can still do it right. The POTC movies are somewhat dark as are the Marvel movies.

I'm just glad that Lucas is handing over the franchise to better hands. There is so much potential that's just wasting away.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:01 PM
What did Lucas' DVD commentary say about the cute Yoda scene?

I think it's pretty clear. Listen, and learn, dumbass.

Guru
10-30-2012, 10:02 PM
youtube post fail.

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Hmmmm...wonder if Epsiode 7 will follow the Thrawn trilogy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thrawn_trilogy

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm...wonder if Epsiode 7 will follow the Thrawn trilogy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thrawn_trilogy

No, at least not what's been said publicly.

Easy 6
10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm just glad that Lucas is handing over the franchise to better hands. There is so much potential that's just wasting away.

Amen to every word of that, getting his stale dialogue & style out of it can only be a positive.

At this point, being a consultant is really the best place for him, he can help answer the bigger picture "meaning of the mythos" type questions for the new crew.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Here, Donger. Bloody Lucasfilm copyright claims!!!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_SNI-kUEoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 10:09 PM
No, at least not what's been said publicly.

So will Lucas still have some control over scripts and direction? Imagine if they hired someone like Fincher, or Cameron to direct it?

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7/207393/

Update: A conference call with shareholders just ended, in which a few more details of the deal were revealed:

Star Wars: Episode 7 will be the beginning of a new trilogy that has been mapped out.
The treatment for Episode 7 is already completed, on which Lucas consulted.
Episodes 8 and 9 will be released approximately every other year following 2015, so expect the sequels in 2017 and 2019.
20th Century Fox will not be involved with these future releases.
Disney “really likes” the potential of expanding Star Wars into television on their Disney XD channel, so expect more than a few new animated series.
The studio’s concentration is on the Star Wars franchise, so as of now there are no plans to toy with Indiana Jones. The reason being that those films are tied up in some legal shambles with Paramount, who distributed the films. Indiana Jones was not part of the valuation of Lucasfilm when Disney was eyeing the acquisition.
Disney plans to leave Lucasfilm’s visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) “as it is.”

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
20th Century Fox are dicks, so that's good.

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Amen to every word of that, getting his stale dialogue & style out of it can only be a positive.

At this point, being a consultant is really the best place for him, he can help answer the bigger picture "meaning of the mythos" type questions for the new crew.

The best thing the episodes 7-9 could do would be to negate the notion of the "Midichlorians".

Lucas absolutely destroyed the franchise with that revelation. In the original Star Wars movie, the Jedi were referred to as a "religion" and sorcery. Obi Wan convinced Luke to look beyond his physical being and become one with the Force, as if anyone that truly believe could tap into the Force.

With TPM, he utterly destroyed that which made the idea of The Force so special by requiring Force users to be born with a certain amount of garbage in their bloodstream or DNA.

He ripped the heart out of the Jedi Knights with that decision.

Count Alex's Losses
10-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Gotta respect Unca George for this statement:

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

"I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Deberg_1990
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
So when will we get Willow 2 ?

DaneMcCloud
10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
So when will we get Willow 2 ?

Right after Howard the Duck 5.