PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs know Chargers will try to force turnovers

Tribal Warfare
10-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Chiefs know Chargers will try to force turnovers (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/31/3894022/chiefs-know-theyre-a-fumble-target.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Romeo Crennel has already been in this spot, the one where a team he coaches finds it difficult if not impossible to hold on to the football.

So Crennel doesn’t need to be told that the Chiefs are wearing a target and opponents are coming after them trying to pry the ball loose and force turnovers because it has happened so many times before.

Crennel coached special teams for the New York Giants when they committed 58 turnovers and finished 3-12-1 as a result. This year, he’s head coach of the Chiefs, who have 25 turnovers in seven games heading into Thursday’s game at San Diego.

There’s no bigger reason for the Chiefs’ 1-6 record or the fact they haven’t led during a game than turnovers. The Chiefs are on pace for 57, which would be sixth-most in NFL history.

The NFL record is 65 set by the Denver Broncos in 1961.

“The opponent, what they do is emphasize it during the week and they say, ‘Let’s go after these guys because they’ll put the ball on the ground,’” Crennel said. “So every time (any Chiefs player) who has the ball in their hands, the ball is going to be stripped, they’re going to be pulling at it, they’re going to be trying to knock it out, whoever it is. That’s why we have to put additional emphasis on protecting the football at all costs.”

The Chiefs have tried that for awhile. They started taking corrective measures in practice early in the season when it became obvious that fumbles and interceptions were problems.

They still have 13 interceptions and 12 fumbles, both totals being highest in the league.

“We’ve been working on that in practice for weeks now,” receiver Dexter McCluster said. “We just have to carry it over into the game. The most important thing about this game is protecting that football.

“Some of the running backs, even when they’re not in, are holding footballs. Guys are walking around trying to strip the ball from you. It all goes down to being conscious about it.”

It just isn’t carrying over to the game.

“It’s hard to replicate a game situation,” McCluster said.

The Chiefs had five turnovers in the first half and another in the second half of their game against the Chargers on Sept. 29 at Arrowhead Stadium. It’s little wonder the Chiefs trailed 27-6 at halftime and lost 37-20.

On five possessions, the Chiefs not only gave up the chance to score points but also set up the Chargers with favorable field position. On the sixth turnover, San Diego returned an interception for a touchdown.

“They did a good job of taking the ball away,” offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said. “You watch that game and relive it a little bit, particularly the first few plays. It wasn’t very good in terms of holding onto the football. They stripped the ball, too. You’re going to have to do a good job of taking care of the football. That’s your first and foremost responsibility, to make sure at the end of the play, you give it back to the ref and come back to the huddle.

“Give them credit. They did a good job of stripping the ball out of our hands, and catching tipped balls . . . they played well that first game, no question. We’re going to have to protect the football.”

Defenses always emphasis creating turnovers but work harder at it when a team is coughing it up at near-record rates, as the Chiefs are.

“It’s a point of emphasis obviously when a guy has trouble holding on to the ball,” San Diego safety Eric Weddle said. “You get your scouting report (from the coaches) and you go player by player and some guys put the ball on the ground. You kind of know the ins and outs. Being a division game, you know the players and we know how they play.

“We just know how these players are and what they do best and what they aren’t so good at.”

The Chiefs no doubt have a bunch of players the Chargers target for turnovers. Quarterback Matt Cassel has an eye-popping 16 turnovers (10 interceptions, six fumbles) in six games. McCluster and running back Jamaal Charles have had fumbling problems, though McCluster has lost just one fumble this year.

A number of Cassel’s interceptions have been tipped by Chiefs receivers. Last week against Oakland, Cassel dropped a snap from center Ryan Lilja for the second time this season and threw an interception when wide receiver Jon Baldwin ran the wrong route after misinterpreting a signal from Cassel.

“A lot of these turnovers have been because of a tipped ball or something else funky like a miscommunication (with a receiver),” Cassel said.

All Crennel can do at this point is hope the Chiefs can reduce their turnovers over the season’s second half and don’t approach or surpass the 58 committed by those 1983 Giants.

“That was a bad year for us,” Crennel said. “Bill (Parcells) had just taken over as coach that year and so there were some different dynamics with a new coach and a new philosophy. We were putting the ball on the ground a little bit.

“I don’t remember exactly why that was occurring but I know we put an emphasis on protecting the ball, hanging on to the ball, putting both hands on the ball, those kinds of things, to help slow that trend down.”

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-31-2012, 01:29 PM
What team doesn't try to force turnovers

SPchief
Herp

Tribal Warfare
“A lot of these turnovers have been because of a tipped ball or something else funky like a miscommunication (with a receiver),” Cassel said.

Honestly, nothing is my fault

Dayze
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
hard hitting KC journalism.

"Chiefs know the Chargers will try to score more points than them"

KCUnited
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
There is no beat writer more representative of their team than Adam Teicher.

KC_Lee
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
I bet the Chargers will want to score more points than the Chiefs too. That's a really good strategy to win the game, score more points than their opponent.

Renegade
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM

Shhhh......... Kung Fu Panda is trying to tell us ahead of time he has a clue to what happened when we lose.

loochy
10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
The thing is that the Chargers don't need to force any turnovers. The Chiefs will just hand them over.

KCUnited
10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Swabbing gonorrhea out of cocks in the Navy > Chiefs beat writer

Chiefs Pantalones
10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
LMAO

Teicher is such a piece of shit.

Dayze
10-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Chiefs know the Chargers will try to tackle them if a KC player has the ball.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Chiefs plan to wear football pads during game because tackles can cause an ouie.

jspchief
10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Honestly, I don't subscribe to the idea that the turnovers explain their record. It's not like they are playing good football outside of the turnovers.

The turnovers, like the losing, are simply symptoms of the real cause; a soft poorly coached team.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I don't subscribe to the idea that the turnovers explain their record. It's not like they are playing good football outside of the turnovers.

The turnovers, like the losing, are simply symptoms of the real cause; a soft poorly coached team.

And a QB who posts under the name Mr. Poopypants.

Lonewolf Ed
10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Crennel coached special teams for the New York Giants when they committed 58 turnovers and finished 3-12-1 as a result.

He definitely has experience with turnovers! He probably just doesn't know exactly how they happened. :shake:

BossChief
10-31-2012, 01:50 PM
The Chiefs as a whole have turned the ball over 25 times and Matt Cassel has 16 of them.

Whats worse is that he hasn't even played in all of the games and when he has, he hasn't done a damn thing to offset those turnovers.

Id like to see what the final scores would have been if the POT points are taken out of the equation...

Frosty
10-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Crennel coached special teams for the New York Giants when they committed 58 turnovers and finished 3-12-1 as a result.

He definitely has experience with turnovers! He probably just doesn't know exactly how they happened. :shake:

“That was a bad year for us,” Crennel said. “Bill (Parcells) had just taken over as coach that year and so there were some different dynamics with a new coach and a new philosophy. We were putting the ball on the ground a little bit.

“I don’t remember exactly why that was occurring but I know we put an emphasis on protecting the ball, hanging on to the ball, putting both hands on the ball, those kinds of things, to help slow that trend down.”

:shake:

htismaqe
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Yep.

theelusiveeightrop
10-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Adam Teicher. Investigative turnover journalist.

blaise
10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
They both need management turnovers.

BoneKrusher
10-31-2012, 02:35 PM
why would the Chargers try to force Turnovers?
Cassel will make that happen easily, thats what he does..

theelusiveeightrop
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Chargers just don't get it. With Cassel on the field, no forcing is needed. Just say boo. Or Omaha.

Marcellus
10-31-2012, 02:40 PM
RAC in response to the Chargers forcing turnovers said - "I hope they are cherry cheesecake, those are my favorite"

BossChief
10-31-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't think this coaching staff has a clue about anything.

keg in kc
10-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Why would they try? We turn it over plenty well on our own.

Chocolate Hog
10-31-2012, 02:55 PM
You don't really have to try when Cassel is the QB and Baldwin is the WR.

BossChief
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Most of the tip picks have came off Bowes hands iirc...second would probably be Moeaki. I may be wrong, though.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-31-2012, 03:01 PM
The team has zero confidence

Detoxing
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM

YEAH!

Damn that Baldwin! He's a turnover machine!

:rolleyes:

ElGringo
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
The Chargers will try hard not to sack Cassel too often...they think he throws more pics than fumbles, but it is close.

CoMoChief
10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Chiefs suck
Water's wet
Bears shit in the woods
The sky is blue

Sincerely,

Adam Teicher

chiefzilla1501
10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
It's not "forcing" a turnover when the offense hands the turnover to you. It's like saying you forced a kid to eat candy.

OnTheWarpath58
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM

I graded out perfectly.

-Matt Cassel

Guru
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
That quote by cassel just pisses me the fuck off. He won't accept blame for anything.

Flachief58
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Water is wet. Sad part is, the Chiefs will giftwrap the TOs so the Dolts wont have to try very hard

TEX
10-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Water is wet. Sad part is, the Chiefs will giftwrap the TOs so the Dolts wont have to try very hard

Exactly, and the Bolts know it.

Bowser
10-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Eric Weddle counts on these two games against the Chiefs to make the pro bowl.

bevischief
10-31-2012, 05:25 PM

This one.

Three7s
10-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Can Teicher get fired already? I could produce higher quality content than his shit articles.

bevischief
10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Cassel is color blind and craps himself when everyone gets close.

TEX
10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
This one.

:clap: ROFL

Chocolate Hog
10-31-2012, 06:21 PM
YEAH!

Damn that Baldwin! He's a turnover machine!

:rolleyes:

My point is none of these guys can beat you.

Do you think Baldwin is actually a good WR?

Chocolate Hog
10-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Most of the tip picks have came off Bowes hands iirc...second would probably be Moeaki. I may be wrong, though.

Maybe but that 1 INT last week was on Baldwin cutting off the route and several times i've seen him look like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He's not the only problem with the offense but I expected way more out of a first round pick. This is the guy Pioli was pimping so he could low ball Bowe. Fuck him.