PDA

View Full Version : Money Woman leaves ‘single mom sorry’ tip on $138 bill

Pages : [1] 2

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 08:29 AM
http://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/fulllength.jpg

A photo of a receipt allegedly left by a single mother at a restaurant has gone viral after it was posted on Reddit.

The bill, which shows a charge of $138.35, has a note that reads “single mom sorry” on the tip line – implying whoever signed the bill did not have enough money to tip the waiter or waitress.

The caption with the photo on Reddit reads: “I’m sure $140 could have gotten you and your kids a week worth of groceries, but instead you spend it one one meal?! For shame!”

http://myfox8.com/2012/11/02/photo-woman-leaves-single-mom-sorry-tip-on-138-bill/

AussieChiefsFan
11-02-2012, 08:31 AM
:spock::hmmm:

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Hope the waiter gets fired for putting this on the internet.

DMAC
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Waiters

STFU

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 08:33 AM
If you can't afford to tip you should not be spending 138 bucks on a single meal

AussieChiefsFan
11-02-2012, 08:34 AM
If you can't afford to tip you should not be spending 138 bucks on a single meallol in what situation would this happen

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 08:36 AM
lol in what situation would this happen

it looks like it just did

AussieChiefsFan
11-02-2012, 08:37 AM
yea....it looks like it just did

QuikSsurfer
11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
A good manager will delete a few items from the ticket and keep the total as it is -- that way the server isn't totally fucked.
And this is no different from a server posting a picture of a great tip and good comment. I see the inverse of this situation all the time.

SNR
11-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I've intentionally left no tip once or twice for stinky putrid awful service. I've only done that once or twice though, and it was at places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Perkins. I wouldn't do it on a $138 order

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I've intentionally left no tip once or twice for stinky putrid awful service. I've only done that once or twice though, and it was at places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Perkins. I wouldn't do it on a $138 order

I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time last weekend and it totally sucked.

Now if the service is bad and they piss me off I will not leave a tip.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time last weekend and it totally sucked.

Watch out. If the service is bad, and they piss him off...

He will not leave a tip.

Predarat
11-02-2012, 08:48 AM
I would like to see the items ordered, how many kids, ect. If this is real that is a really shitty thing to do.

WhiteWhale
11-02-2012, 08:48 AM
A good manager will delete a few items from the ticket and keep the total as it is -- that way the server isn't totally ****ed.
And this is no different from a server posting a picture of a great tip and good comment. I see the inverse of this situation all the time.

Most companies have a policy against doing so to protect the privacy of the customer. If you see people doing it, I'm assuming their employer is unaware of it.

notorious
11-02-2012, 08:50 AM
You need thick skin to be in the service industry. I bartended for 8 years and 99% of the time a waitress got shafted on the tip is because she sucks at her job.

I rolled in the tips because I busted my ass, treated people well, and actually enjoyed my job.

QuikSsurfer
11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Most companies have a policy against doing so to protect the privacy of the customer. If you see people doing it, I'm assuming their employer is unaware of it.

That's probably true. I've witnessed it done at a few local - upscale - restaurants around town. I see no problem with it in certain circumstances.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Watch out. If the service is bad, and they piss him off...

He will not leave a tip.

I meant and/or My bad

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I meant and/or My bad

LMAO

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
If you can't afford to tip you should not be spending 138 bucks on a single meal
Agree with this 100%. There's no way you can justify this. And I don't give a damn if it's wrong to put it out there on the internet, this woman should be fucking ashamed of herself.

luv
11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Agree with this 100%. There's no way you can justify this. And I don't give a damn if it's wrong to put it out there on the internet, this woman should be ****ing ashamed of herself.

Basically. If I know I only have a certain amount of money to spend, I do my best to order something cheap enough so that I will still have money leftover to leave a suitable tip.

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Agree with this 100%. There's no way you can justify this. And I don't give a damn if it's wrong to put it out there on the internet, this woman should be ****ing ashamed of herself.

The waiter should also be ashamed of himself/herself for crying about missing a $15 tip when unemployment is as high as its been.

Oh my God, someone didn't tip you!!!! Oh the humanity!!!! LMAO, what a fcking baby.

OmahaChief
11-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I would like to see the items ordered, how many kids, ect. If this is real that is a really shitty thing to do.

For all I know this lady had six kids with her and the service was terrible. She took her one kid out for his birthday and wanted to have a great time but the service was so terrible it ruined the whole experience. She could have wrote no tip, your service was terrible but instead wanted it to seem nicer so she wrote the whole single Mom thing.

Tips are for doing a good job not just doing the bare minimum in my opinion and I was a server in high school and college for 7 years. I have never understood these servers that exepct a customer to just give them a tip if they do just enough to get by.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 09:01 AM
This just in - someone does something stupid.

People on internet, outraged, explain how they would rectify the situation.

WhiteWhale
11-02-2012, 09:02 AM
If you can't afford a tip, you can't afford to eat out.

That's part of the package, unless you are treated terribly by the staff.

QuikSsurfer
The waiter should also be ashamed of himself/herself for crying about missing a $15 tip when unemployment is as high as its been.

Oh my God, someone didn't tip you!!!! Oh the humanity!!!! LMAO, what a fcking baby.

So you're a shitty tipper too?

Let's get this thread rollin'

DaFace
This shit happens all the time, but yeah, it's incredibly obnoxious. I can only think of three situations where not tipping can mean anything other than the fact that you're a total douche:

1. You are from a foreign country and just didn't understand you were supposed to leave a tip. (still minorly douchey)
2. You just plain forget. (still moderately douchey)
3. You receive the most absolutely terrible service you've ever experienced. (acceptable once or twice a decade)

In this case, she outright acknowledged that she knew she was supposed to tip but just wasn't because she couldn't afford it. That's on the level of theft if you ask me.

AussieChiefsFan
This just in - someone does something stupid.

People on internet, outraged, explain how they would rectify the situation.^

notorious
A person doesn't write"Thank You, it was Great" on a ticket when they get horrible service.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
A person doesn't write"Thank You, it was Great" on a ticket when they get horrible service.

Maybe she was drunk.

KCUnited
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't see the problem. /Scottie Pippen

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

I hope you're kidding.

Predarat
11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nbYe_SMFFOs/TyTbkeB2MDI/AAAAAAAAAJw/2gc8XDCGSJI/s1600/Reservoir-Dogs-Mr-Pink-Tip-Percent.jpg

DaFace
11-02-2012, 09:07 AM

First, I would've tipped at least $25 if the service was decent. Second, this would be the equivalent of your boss walking in one day and telling you that you were taking a 10% paycut for the day because he just doesn't want to. That's shitty.

Also, I have no idea what unemployment has to do with this.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:07 AM

These people shouldn't have to wait on you hand and foot for 2 bucks an hour... If they give you good service, give them a 15% tip, if you can't do that go get a pizza and take it home, in the end you are full either way.

If you can't afford a decent tip, then save up your money until next week and eat at that place then.

DaFace
11-02-2012, 09:08 AM
These people shouldn't have to wait on you hand and foot for 2 bucks an hour... If they give you good service, give them a 15% tip, if you can't do that go get a pizza and take it home, in the end you are full either way.

If you can't afford a decent tip, then save up your money until next week and eat at that place then.

Hell, you can just order the food to go from the same restaurant. Don't make someone work for you for an hour and then refuse to pay them.

Radar Chief
This is how I tip.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V1ZZWhSvOMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WhiteWhale

To be fair, Waiters MUST be compensated if their tips + wages are below minimum wage.

Most waiters are actually unaware of that, but it's the law.

luv
First, I would've tipped at least $25 if the service was decent. Second, this would be the equivalent of your boss walking in one day and telling you that you were taking a 10% paycut for the day because he just doesn't want to. That's shitty.

I think he's saying the waiter should be happy with the $3.50/hour he's making before the tip.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I am cheap when it comes to letting loose money but I never stiff the waitstaff and I am that dude everybody calls dumb because I give the bum at the end of the road holding the sign the 5 dollar bill hoping he will get a sandwich instead a bottle of MadDog

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Hell, you can just order the food to go from the same restaurant. Don't make someone work for you for an hour and then refuse to pay them.
I agree 100%

phisherman
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I love how noone wants to put any blame on the restaurant owners that are shafting their employees by not even paying a living wage.

The customers subsidize the difference.

Boo hoo, I was a server/bartender in college and for a short time afterwards and even though it burnt me to get a bad tip, I still never felt right blaming a customer for not giving me extra money that they didn't have to give.

Besides, the attitude of most servers these days is that they deserve a high tip all the time, simply for doing their job. Nope, sorry charlie.

Predarat
11-02-2012, 09:12 AM
What if the server was a single mom as well?

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I love how noone wants to put any blame on the restaurant owners that are shafting their employees by not even paying a living wage.

Boo hoo, I was a server/bartender in college and for a short time afterwards and even though it burnt me to get a bad tip, I still never felt right blaming a customer for not giving me extra money that they didn't have to give.

Besides, the attitude of most servers these days is that they deserve a high tip all the time, simply for doing their job. Nope, sorry charlie.

Yea but if they put waiters and waitresses on salary, the food would be so high they wouldn't have anyone to wait on and they would all go broke.

I never treat a server as a second class citizen and always say thank you for everything...

blaise
11-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Are you high?

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Oh yeah, the whole "they should just be thankful they have a job" line of horseshit. :rolleyes:

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Yea but if they put waiters and waitresses on salary, the food would be so high they wouldn't have anyone to wait on and they would all go broke.

I never treat a server as a second class citizen and always say thank you for everything...

Precisely.

Don't pay a tip, that's fine, it's a free country.

But don't bitch when your $8 taco plate is $15 the next time you eat there.

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Some people just aren't good tippers, that's a fact that servers have to deal with. But what's fucked up here is this lady actually tried to justify stiffing the server with that garbage. And on a $138 bill no less, I doubt this was at a fucking Denny's.

Lzen
11-02-2012, 09:26 AM
This is how I tip.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V1ZZWhSvOMI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

ROFL

stevenidol
11-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Canadians.

theelusiveeightrop
11-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd like to help that single mother. Anyone know how how to contact her?

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Some people just aren't good tippers, that's a fact that servers have to deal with. But what's fucked up here is this lady actually tried to justify stiffing the server with that garbage. And on a $138 bill no less, I doubt this was at a fucking Denny's.

I think a $138 bill at a Denny's would justify a larger tip than a $138 bill at an upscale steakhouse.

I could easily blow $138 on myself at a high end restaurant, and it wouldn't take much attention from the waiter(ess).

Denny's would be a challenge, and would require a lot of work with multiple orders per customer at the table.

Valiant
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
For all I know this lady had six kids with her and the service was terrible. She took her one kid out for his birthday and wanted to have a great time but the service was so terrible it ruined the whole experience. She could have wrote no tip, your service was terrible but instead wanted it to seem nicer so she wrote the whole single Mom thing.

Tips are for doing a good job not just doing the bare minimum in my opinion and I was a server in high school and college for 7 years. I have never understood these servers that exepct a customer to just give them a tip if they do just enough to get by.

I think you are just forecasting how you are. Not the fact the mom also left a note at the bottom on the service.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I think you are just forecasting how you are. Not the fact the mom also left a note at the bottom on the service.

Exactly.

If the service was terrible, she wouldn't write "thanks it was great!"

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I think a $138 bill at a Denny's would justify a larger tip than a $138 bill at an upscale steakhouse.

I could easily blow $138 on myself at a high end restaurant, and it wouldn't take much attention from the waiter(ess).

Denny's would be a challenge, and would require a lot of work with multiple orders per customer at the table.
That's a fair point, but either way it's pretty messed up.

HMc

have you ever left America?

Valiant

Holy shit, r8ders talking common sense about what would happen if salararies were in place? Fuck, the really do suck, if that is happening.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Exactly.

If the service was terrible, she wouldn't write "thanks it was great!"

And the fact that she does not appear to be shy would make me tend to believe she would have had no problem whatsoever to bring someone down to justify her actions.

HMc
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM

interesting take, given the note at the bottom in large text praising the service

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:39 AM

Never

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Precisely.

And don't bitch when they are slow and have minimal wait staff because no one can make a living there.

HMc
11-02-2012, 09:42 AM
right. well, the food service industry doesn't necessarily collapse merely because employers are forced to pay their employees a wage they can actually survive off. the rest of the developed world seems to manage it.

Valiant
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM

He has a valid point, americans are trained/used to a pricing structure. If employers paid a living salary to all their staff. Prices double. They have to pay more in insurance and benefits also. The effect would move over into fastfood. Applebees meal would be 18minimum. Tacobell 10 bucks to cover all the costs. Then add the bonus.

Servers would no longer be required to give good service. They get paid the same.

Yeah, that will work in this country.

I think grocery prices jump also to cash in on the profit margin.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2012, 09:45 AM

ROFL

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AkQTDzzabEY/T3yiEs4xeqI/AAAAAAAABMM/NZAUozGSL7w/s1600/Ignorance_73fa86_190451.jpg

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:46 AM
ROFL

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AkQTDzzabEY/T3yiEs4xeqI/AAAAAAAABMM/NZAUozGSL7w/s1600/Ignorance_73fa86_190451.jpg

That all you got? Argue your point son instead of hunting down funny pictures to impress the 16 year olds here.

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 09:47 AM
right. well, the food service industry doesn't necessarily collapse merely because employers are forced to pay their employees a wage they can actually survive off. the rest of the developed world seems to manage it.
Eh, both systems would have their flaws. And most servers I've known over the years made fairly decent money. Some employers do use the system to their advantage though, I dated a waitress years ago whose employer made the wait staff stay an hour after closing cleaning the restaurant for $2/hr. Now THAT was bullshit.

King_Chief_Fan
11-02-2012, 09:47 AM

they aren't working for me and if it is assumed they do, it isn't one hour.

They may breeze by your table 3 times in an hour to see if you need anything, but they aren't at my beckon call for an hour.

None the less, I tip appropriately.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
That all you got? Argue your point son instead of hunting down funny pictures to impress the 16 year olds here.

As someone else pointed out, you've never been overseas.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
As someone else pointed out, you've never been overseas.

Do I give a fuck about what goes on overseas? I live in America

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Wait staff outside this country are much better.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Do I give a fuck about what goes on overseas? I live in America

Overseas they pay wait staff an appropriate wage and people do not tip. Prices are not doubled and restaurants are plenty full. Your argument to the contrary is nonsense.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Wait staff outside this country are much better.

Much!

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Overseas they pay wait staff an appropriate wage and people do not tip. Prices are not doubled and restaurants are plenty full. Your argument to the contrary is nonsense.

Well probably because they are socialist countries and the government subsidizes, we are Capitalists here and that system would not work here.

DaKCMan AP
11-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Well probably because they are socialist countries and the government subsidizes, we are Capitalists here and that system would not work here.

ROFL

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I am of the belief that if you are cutting it so close that you can't afford to tip then you probably shouldn't be eating out to begin with and prepare your own meals.

HMc
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM

is this a troll? has to be

Saulbadguy

Wrong again, dumbass. Just take your dumb hick ass out of this thread.

R8RFAN
ROFL

Where are these countries you speak of mr man of the world?

eazyb81

Huh? No, this is actually nothing like getting a 10% paycut. This was a one-time stiff of $15-25. So it's like missing an hour or two of work. Totally worth throwing a temper tantrum for.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Wrong again, dumbass. Just take your dumb hick ass out of this thread.

Hey dumbfuck, its my thread

Where have you been? Mexico?

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Precisely.

And if it is, you take your business elsewhere. Welcome to the free market.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Where are these countries you speak of mr man of the world?

Hey dumb****, its my thread

Come on Travelin Men... Where are these countries?

CoMoChief
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Wonder if that woman used her EBT card?

eazyb81
Oh yeah, the whole "they should just be thankful they have a job" line of horseshit. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that "horseshit".

Waiters get stiffed on bills regularly, even good waiters. That's one of the downsides of working a job where your customers technically don't have to pay you one cent. Go cry about it.

Baconeater
Huh? No, this is actually nothing like getting a 10% paycut. This was a one-time stiff of $15-25. So it's like missing an hour or two of work. Totally worth throwing a temper tantrum for.
$15-25 is a lot of money to some people.

Frazod
Hey dumbfuck, its my thread

Then take your dumb hick ass to another board.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Wonder if that woman used her EBT card?

Probably child support money... The EBT is for Lobster and Ribeyes

Saulbadguy
Probably child support money... The EBT is for Lobster and Ribeyes

aaaaaaaand there you have it, folks.

R8RFAN
Then take your dumb hick ass to another board.

Fuck you you stupid mother fucker and your fat wife too

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Come on Travelin Men... Where are these countries?

Too many to list. Does "nearly all of the civilized world?" count?

R8RFAN
aaaaaaaand there you have it, folks.

Come on man... where have you been? Kanaduh?

R8RFAN
Too many to list. Does "nearly all of the civilized world?" count?

List the ones who are not socialized

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, that "horseshit".

Waiters get stiffed on bills regularly, even good waiters. That's one of the downsides of working a job where your customers technically don't have to pay you one cent. Go cry about it.
Yes, it's part of the job. But you're making it sound like there's absolutely nothing wrong about what she did, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Saulbadguy
List the ones who are not socialized

LMAO

According to Fox News, the entire world is socialized except the USA. So, I have no answer for you.

Micjones
I try always to tip, when I can, having been a pizza delivery guy for 7 years.
No one owes you a tip though. That's a bonus.

That server should be walked.
This is disrespectful. You're in no place to tell this woman how she ought to spend her money. And taking this photo and making it available online? Even worse...

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM
LMAO

According to Fox News, the entire world is socialized except the USA. So, I have no answer for you.

Lord have mercy... Son, you just fucking shit your pants when called on the carpet.... Now go sit the fuck in the corner

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
$15-25 is a lot of money to some people.

Sure, and represents less than 0.1% of the median annual income for individuals in the US. Totally worth throwing a temper tantrum for!

Clearly this waiter's life is pretty good if getting stiffed on one bill is this traumatic for them.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Lord have mercy... Son, you just fucking shit your pants when called on the carpet.... Now go sit the fuck in the corner

Is Honduras socialized? The fuck if I know. I just know they have cheap food and efficient waiters that don't bother you with small talk.

R8RFAN
Sure, and represents less than 0.1% of the median annual income for individuals in the US. Totally worth throwing a temper tantrum for!

Clearly this waiter's life is pretty good if getting stiffed on one bill is this traumatic for them.

I hope you get special wonton soup when you come back

Braincase
Servers pay taxes on tips whether they receive them or not. There's an assumption that they're receiving them, and Uncle Sam is getting his cut.

Baconeater
Eh, the pizza guy is one of those gray area deals. He's not checking on you regularly making sure you have drinks, etc. I usually flip them a buck or two but I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't tip them.

HMc
11-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Is Australia "socialised", according to the current CP definition?

htismaqe

I live in Germany nearly 20 years ago and their system has ALWAYS been this way. There's no baseline with a tip-based system to say prices have "doubled" against. You simply cannot say "their prices haven't doubled".

American economic history suggests that us changing from a tip-based system to a tipless system would lead to increases restaurant prices pretty much across the board.

And if it is, you take your business elsewhere. Welcome to the free market.

Of course, the cop out argument. The simple fact is, if everybody in my market employed a tip-less model, ALL places would be more expensive and therefore we would eventually run out of cost-effective places to eat out.

At that point, it becomes my choice to stay home and eat, right? Well that was the ORIGINAL POINT OF THE THREAD.

Yes, it's part of the job. But you're making it sound like there's absolutely nothing wrong about what she did, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Exactly.

Brock
Servers pay taxes on tips whether they receive them or not. There's an assumption that they're receiving them, and Uncle Sam is getting his cut.

Yep. If you don't tip good service, you're just cheap.

eazyb81

No I'm not. I haven't made even one comment that could be construed as supporting the person that stiffer the waiter.

My premise is that the waiter is a loser for whining about this and posting it on the internet like he was so horrifically wronged. Take a step back, realize it is about $20, and go on with life.

Saulbadguy
Is Australia "socialised", according to the current CP definition?

Probably.

Micjones
11-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Eh, the pizza guy is one of those gray area deals. He's not checking on you regularly making sure you have drinks, etc. I usually flip them a buck or two but I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't tip them.

Servers don't always provide good service either.

Pizza guys have other stuff to contend with though.
Bad weather, annoying kids, dogs, etc.

TIP THE PIZZA MAN!

Frazod
Fuck you you stupid mother fucker and your fat wife too

You have to grease yours just to get out the door of your trailer so she can go turn tricks.

By the way, do your ribs still hurt? I sure hope so.

R8RFAN
Is Honduras socialized? The **** if I know. I just know they have cheap food and efficient waiters that don't bother you with small talk.

Dude they live in fucking huts -and probably get paid with a bag of rice... GTFO with that shit man.

Saulbadguy
Of course, the cop out argument. The simple fact is, if everybody in my market employed a tip-less model, ALL places would be more expensive and therefore we would eventually run out of cost-effective places to eat out.

Maybe people wouldn't be so fat, then.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Dude they live in fucking huts -and probably get paid with a bag of rice... GTFO with that shit man.

I didn't see any people living in huts. These people actually lived in houses and apartments.

Not sure about rice being the national currency, though. I'll have to ask next time i'm there.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Maybe people wouldn't be so fat, then.

Bah.

The garbage you buy at the grocery store is just as bad for you, if not worse.

Grim
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm no handwriting expert but the comment in the tip section and the comment at the bottom of the receipt (if left by the customer) don't jibe.
This reminds me of the tip that was, supposedly, left by the 1 percenter..... just some bullshit somebody made up to stir up the masses.

Brock
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Bah.

The garbage you buy at the grocery store is just as bad for you, if not worse.

:spock:

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm no handwriting expert but the comment in the tip section and the comment at the bottom of the receipt (if left by the customer) don't jibe.
This reminds me of the tip that was, supposedly, left by the 1 percenter..... just some bullshit somebody made up to stir up the masses.

That's an interesting point.

Take a look specifically at the "Y" and "O".

The two samples don't look alike really at all.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
:spock:

You disagree?

Obviously, if you're informed about such things, you can get GOOD food at the store.

You can also get GOOD food at a restaurant.

So making a blanket statement about people being fat is misguided, no matter how you look at it.

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
No I'm not. I haven't made even one comment that could be construed as supporting the person that stiffer the waiter.

My premise is that the waiter is a loser for whining about this and posting it on the internet like he was so horrifically wronged. Take a step back, realize it is about $20, and go on with life.
No, you haven't, but nor have you made a comment at least acknowledging that what she did was wrong as well, meanwhile you're throwing an absolute fit about the actions of the server. So excuse me for making that assumption.

Grim
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
That's an interesting point.

Take a look specifically at the "Y" and "O".

The two samples don't look alike really at all.
It just seems fishy.
Why would they print the comment in the tip section but cursively write the comment at the bottom?

scho63
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
So many of these turn out to be hoaxes.

I'm not buying it just yet.....

Predarat
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
http://jennybeans.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/its-a-trap.jpg

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
It just seems fishy.
Why would they print the comment in the tip section but cursively write the comment at the bottom?
LMAO God damnit. We've all been had by the fucking internet again. I'm going back to work.

HMc
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
fake stuff is both commonplace and popular on reddit. this is just as likely fake as it is genuine.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
You disagree?

Obviously, if you're informed about such things, you can get GOOD food at the store.

You can also get GOOD food at a restaurant.

So making a blanket statement about people being fat is misguided, no matter how you look at it.

CHEAP restaurants push huge portion sizes.

OmahaChief
11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Precisely.

That $8 taco plate I just bought had a actual food cost of $1 and that pop I ordered that cost $3 actual cost was about 10 cents. There is plenty of margin to make your normal overhead and still pay the waitstaff more without raising prices.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
CHEAP restaurants push huge portion sizes.

Ah, I see your point now. I said "cost-effective", you said "cheap" - that was the disconnect.

I actually agree with you now that I understand what you are saying.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
That $8 taco plate I just bought had a actual food cost of $1 and that pop I ordered that cost $3 actual cost was about 10 cents. There is plenty of margin to make your normal overhead and still pay the waitstaff more without raising prices.

Have you ever run a restaurant? Methinks not.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Ah, I see your point now. I said "cost-effective", you said "cheap" - that was the disconnect.

I actually agree with you now that I understand what you are saying.

Yeah, whoops.

Cheap restaurants are plentiful here.

I don't think anyone would shed a tear (other than fat hicks) if Applebees, Olive Garden, etc are forced to shut down because they had to pay higher wages.

HMc
11-02-2012, 10:52 AM
good thing that restaurants don't have to pay rent, power, water, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, licensing, etc.

otherwise they might eat into that 7 dollars of pure profit on a 10 dollar meal that you refer to

ChiefsNow
11-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Bingo

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah, whoops.

Cheap restaurants are plentiful here.

I don't think anyone would shed a tear (other than fat hicks) if Applebees, Olive Garden, etc are forced to shut down because they had to pay higher wages.

I tend to patronize the family-owned restaurants myself (we have REALLY great Mexican food here).

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
good thing that restaurants don't have to pay rent, power, water, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, licensing, etc.

otherwise they might eat into that 7 dollars of pure profit on a 10 dollar meal that you refer to

:clap:

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 10:57 AM

I thought all that shit was free /the 99%ers

AMEN... I be damned if I am slaving over a hot stove all day making fucking tacos without much of a profit... Don't like my prices? Go make your own fucking Tacos is what I say... What say you?

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I tend to patronize the family-owned restaurants myself (we have REALLY great Mexican food here).

Same - unfortunately many of them go out of business because they can't compete with those cheap places, even though they have better food.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by phisherman

No one is forcing you to work for that bastard.... Quit

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
No one is forcing you to work for that bastard.... Quit

Are you drunk? He said he used to be a waiter you idiot.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2012, 11:03 AM

He's just stupid.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Same - unfortunately many of them go out of business because they can't compete with those cheap places, even though they have better food.

Yep.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Well Duh.... I know that, why would he work for someone who treated him that bad? Did he quit or did he just fucking whine to everyone how bad the boss treated him?

There are some dumb mother fuckers who are KC fans geesh

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 11:06 AM
He's just stupid.

see the last line of my last post

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey you dumb bastards.... People don't open businesses to provide you with a job, they open them to make money...

Oh boohoo... the boss is bad to me, he makes all the money boo hoo...

STFU you pussies

eazyb81
11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Well Duh.... I know that, why would he work for someone who treated him that bad? Did he quit or did he just ****ing whine to everyone how bad the boss treated him?

There are some dumb mother ****ers who are KC fans geesh

He didn't say anything about getting treated bad at work. He explained - quite clearly I might add - that he got stiffed occasionally while working as a server/bartender, yet didn't feel the need to whine and cry about each one.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I think it's only Mizzou fans that stiff and feel it's ok to stiff. It's one thing to not leave a tip and feel guilty but to say something like single mom sorry or i'll tip ya double the next time is just horrible. Walk away with your tail between your legs. Those peasants should be happy making less than those in sweatshops!!!!

CoMoChief
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM

This is disrespectful. You're in no place to tell this woman how she ought to spend her money. And taking this photo and making it available online? Even worse...

Partially agree with this.. BUT

That woman took the time to literally write on the recpt "Sorry single mom" like the server is supposed to be sorry for this woman for being poor, when HER OWN SALARY DEPENDS ON THE TIPS SHE GETS. This wasn't some $30 dinner for 2, the bill was $140. LMAO

That's horseshit and a slap in the face to the waiter/waitress. Customer gets all the ridicule she deserves IMO.

Had the woman just left the tip blank or a line through it instead of going out of her way to make some kind of ridicilous statement, then we wouldn't be talking about this today.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
He didn't say anything about getting treated bad at work. He explained - quite clearly I might add - that he got stiffed occasionally while working as a server/bartender, yet didn't feel the need to whine and cry about each one.

He was crying about how much the owner made.... When you take a job you agree to the pay beforehand... If it paid 100k it would not be an easy job to get

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Just sue me for thinking people ought to be treated with dignity

DaFace
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure what foreign countries all you world travelers have been to, but my experience has been that American waiters/waitresses are dramatically more attentive. You could argue that there's a personal preference there, but I like not having to wave my waiter down to get a refill, for example. That's not to say that eating out in other countries isn't perfectly acceptable, but it's definitely not as pleasant an experience overall.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM

First of all no one stated where this was, it looks fairly anonymous to me. Second of all I don't know where you were a delivery guy but a few years ago when I delivered, Drivers were being paid $4-$5 an hour and tips were part of their income. Drivers actually have more overhead than waiters considering how many miles they put on their cars. So if you can't afford to tip go pick it up, no biggie. I also know that just recently Pizza Hut(I know the food blows) lost a law suit because they weren't reimbursing their drivers enough for gas/vehicle maintenance.

HMc
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure what foreign countries all you world travelers have been to, but my experience has been that American waiters/waitresses are dramatically more attentive. You could argue that there's a personal preference there, but I like not having to wave my waiter down to get a refill, for example. That's not to say that eating out in other countries isn't perfectly acceptable, but it's definitely not as pleasant an experience overall.

I have never found American waiters to be anything other than excellent.

Baconeater
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I have never found American waiters to be anything other than excellent.
You haven't eaten here enough then. There are plenty of horrible ones.

Chiefspants
11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
http://localtvwghp.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/fulllength.jpg

A photo of a receipt allegedly left by a single mother at a restaurant has gone viral after it was posted on Reddit.

The bill, which shows a charge of $138.35, has a note that reads “single mom sorry” on the tip line – implying whoever signed the bill did not have enough money to tip the waiter or waitress.

The caption with the photo on Reddit reads: “I’m sure $140 could have gotten you and your kids a week worth of groceries, but instead you spend it one one meal?! For shame!”

http://myfox8.com/2012/11/02/photo-woman-leaves-single-mom-sorry-tip-on-138-bill/

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1671871/darage.gif

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:53 PM
What was Daboll so pissed about? The FG was already out on the field and ready to hike it.

Chiefspants
11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
What was Daboll so pissed about? The FG was already out on the field and ready to hike it.

Romeo raided his cooler.

Micjones
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Partially agree with this.. BUT

That woman took the time to literally write on the recpt "Sorry single mom" like the server is supposed to be sorry for this woman for being poor, when HER OWN SALARY DEPENDS ON THE TIPS SHE GETS.

That was bad form. No need to make a spectacle of her choice.
She's entitled not to tip the server. She should've exercised that right quietly and gone about her business.

This wasn't some $30 dinner for 2, the bill was $140. LMAO

$14 or $140 she's still not obligated to tip the server.
15% of that total is about $20. Are you certain she had $158?
Are you certain that had she tipped a significantly lower percentage of the bill that the server would've been satisfied?

Had the woman just left the tip blank or a line through it instead of going out of her way to make some kind of ridicilous statement, then we wouldn't be talking about this today.

On that point, we agree.

frankotank
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM

I don't frequent BWW, but I've been there several times and not been very impressed. they have so many different flavors.... I went there a week ago and tried the BBQ Hot wings. they are the BOMB! I ordered half something else and half BBQ Hot. I will be going back for more of those very soon.

vailpass
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Seems like this kind of thing has been posted here a time or ten before.

The next time I, or most people, give a shit about a waiter crying over a tip will be the first time.

frankotank
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
First, I would've tipped at least $25 if the service was decent.

OK...I thought good = 20% (which on 138 would be 26.60 call it 27...25 is close enough)
Average = 15%
right? yes? just wondering if I'm out of date...

This is how I tip.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V1ZZWhSvOMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

while I do find this video funny, I also find it sickening.
look man, I ain't no germophone, but let's face it....money is DIRTY! don't don't don't lick your frigging fingers after touching money. for God's sake he does it over and over and over..... BLECK!

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't frequent BWW, but I've been there several times and not been very impressed. they have so many different flavors.... I went there a week ago and tried the BBQ Hot wings. they are the BOMB! I ordered half something else and half BBQ Hot. I will be going back for more of those very soon.

I like my wings crispy with whatever sauce on them... Their wings were slimy

The way I cook my wings is I take naked dry wings and drop them in peanut oil until done then dredge in sauce... Those wings tasted like they were baked in an oven YUCK slimy chicken skin does not taste good to me on wings.

Obviously people like them, the lot was full but they did nothing for me... I did not complain.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
OK...I thought good = 20% (which on 138 would be 26.60 call it 27...25 is close enough)
Average = 15%

while I do find this video funny, I also find it sickening.
look man, I ain't no germophone, but let's face it....money is DIRTY! don't don't don't lick your frigging fingers after touching money. for God's sake he does it over and over and over..... BLECK!

Maybe it was laundered?

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM

If I'm going to specifically get wings in the KC area, I'm going to Wingstop. The Atomic Wings there are the best.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I like my wings crispy with whatever sauce on them...

You would like Wingstop then. :D

frankotank
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Precisely.

AND don't question the "special sauce" they put on those tacos....just for YOU! :D

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
You would like Wingstop then. :D

If they are crispy on the outside I will eat them

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't like East Coast Wings either

Predarat
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Maybe it was someone who noticed the server was a single mom and was sympathizing with the her. Single Mom, Sorry. "I noticed you are a single mom and am sorry. I really feel for you". The sympathy and compassion WAS the tip. Some things you just can't put a price on.

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
WINGSTOP is about 85-95 miles from me :(

KILLER_CLOWN
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
WINGSTOP is about 85-95 miles from me :(

If you're hungry, you will travel.

King_Chief_Fan
11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
AND don't question the "special sauce" they put on those tacos....just for YOU! :D

that does it....not eating out any more

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
This is a local joint that has the best wings I ever ate and I have ate a bunch.
http://www.originalchristos.com/

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 01:56 PM
If they are crispy on the outside I will eat them

Yep, the crispy. They have sauced and dry spiced flavors. Cajun spice is good, lemon pepper is unreal.

But the Atomic are my favorites, simply because I'm the only person I know that can finish a serving.

Bwana
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
10/1 this turns out to be some kind of hoax. If not, single mother needs to stick to Mickey D's if she can't bend the wallet for a tip.

As some on here, I tip to service. I have left up to a 100% tip is the service was outstanding. I have also left ZERO a few times if the server was a complete **** up.
My base tip starts at 20-25% "for average" and it doesn't take much to increase that from me and it takes a lot to knock it down. You really have to be a complete window licker to get less than 20%, but it can be done. If I'm sitting at the bar eating and my beer runs dry and I'm waiting around for 15 minutes when you're not busy and bullshitting with other workers, guess what, you're ****ed.

frankotank
11-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I like my wings crispy with whatever sauce on them... Their wings were slimy

The way I cook my wings is I take naked dry wings and drop them in peanut oil until done then dredge in sauce... Those wings tasted like they were baked in an oven YUCK slimy chicken skin does not taste good to me on wings.

Obviously people like them, the lot was full but they did nothing for me... I did not complain.

my wife always orders her wings plain with whatever flavor sauce on the side and dips the wings in the sauce. they come nice and crispy that way.
she's a smart 'un!

frankotank
11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
that does it....not eating out any more

hahaha!
word of advice.....NEVER watch the movie WAITING....or you very well may never eat out again.....for REAL! ROFL

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Yep, the crispy. They have sauced and dry spiced flavors. Cajun spice is good, lemon pepper is unreal.

But the Atomic are my favorites, simply because I'm the only person I know that can finish a serving.
Sounds good, I like them hot but not Habenaro(sp?) hot
my wife always orders her wings plain with whatever flavor sauce on the side and dips the wings in the sauce. they come nice and crispy that way.
she's a smart 'un!

There ya go, sounds like a keeper

bowener
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Wow. $15 on $140? You must fucking suck to serve.

Bump
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
A good manager will delete a few items from the ticket and keep the total as it is -- that way the server isn't totally ****ed.

lol, I've been a GM at a restaurant a few years ago and I would fire any "good" manager that would do such a thing. That's called stealing.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
hahaha!
word of advice.....NEVER watch the movie WAITING....or you very well may never eat out again.....for REAL! ROFL

The Goat!!!

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Sounds good, I like them hot but not Habenaro(sp?) hot.

Actually, the Atomic sauce uses both Habanero and Thai chiles (some people call the ghost peppers), so it is slightly hotter than a pure Habanero sauce.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM

You have no clue. In MO they make 3.13 an hour and in some cases pay tipshare on top of that. When I was waiting I paid 3.5% of my total sales so restaurants could justify paying host 4.50 an hour. My tip money went to them. So in this case, I would've had to pay about 5.50 to wait on their asses. Frequently my hourly would be less than my tipshare for the day. So in essence, I paid to pick up those tables. Total bullshit...

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Actually, the Atomic sauce uses both Habanero and Thai chiles (some people call the ghost peppers), so it is slightly hotter than a pure Habanero sauce.

Slightly hotter my ass, the Bhut Jolokia Ghost Chili is about the hottest pepper in the world

1,463,700 Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
855,000-1,041,427 Bhut Jolokia
800,000-1,000,000 Trinidad Scorpion Pepper
350,000-580,000 Red Savina Habanero
100,000-350,000 Habanero Pepper
100,000-325,000 Scotch Bonnet
100,000-225,000 Bird’s Eye Pepper
100,000-200,000 Jamaican Hot Pepper
100,000-125,000 Carolina Cayenne Pepper
95,000-110,000 Bahamian Pepper
85,000-115,000 Tabiche Pepper
50,000-100,000 Chiltepin Pepper
50,000-100,000 Thai Pepper
40,000-58,000 Pequin Pepper
40,000-50,000 Santaka Pepper
40,000-50,000 Super Chili Pepper
30,000-50,000 Cayenne Pepper
30,000-50,000 Tabasco Pepper
15,000-30,000 De Arbol Pepper
12,000-30,000 Manzano Pepper
5,000-23,000 Serrano Pepper
5,000-10,000 Chipotle Pepper
5,000-10,000 Hot Wax Pepper
2,500-8,000 Jalapeno Pepper
2,500-5,000 Guajillo Pepper
1,500-2,500 Rocotilla Pepper
1,000-2,000 Ancho Pepper
1,000-2,000 Poblano Pepper
1,000-2,000 Pasilla Pepper
700-1000 Coronado Pepper
500-2,500 Anaheim Pepper
500-1,000 New Mexico Pepper
500-700 Santa Fe Grande Pepper
100-500 Pimento Pepper
100-500 Pepperoncini Pepper
0 Sweet Bell Pepper

New World Order
11-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Perkins' service is god awful

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Slightly hotter my ass, the Bhut Jolokia Ghost Chili is about the hottest pepper in the world

It's SLIGHTLY hotter than pure Habanero paste because it only contains a small amount of the Thai pepper extract. Of course if the Jolokia content was higher, it would get much, much hotter proportionally. I think he told me that corporate says it hits somewhere in the 500K range on Scovilles.

By the way, I have a bottle of this in my cabinet. I haven't tasted yet, I don't want to break the cool-ass seal.

http://www.hotsaucedepot.com/Assets/ProductImages/Blairs-2am.jpg

The Original-One of the Finest Chilehead Gifts In the World with 650,000 - 900,000 scoville units. 2 a.m. Reserve is the First in the Series of Blair's A.M Items and is always a sought after Chilihead Collector Piece... The name Originates from when Blair was in the Bar Biz. 2 a.m. was the closing time and this was the closest thing to legal he could use to get the drunks out of the bar. This always worked...He made 4 Wings with this potion if the patron could eat all four they could hang out all night...Needless to say no one stayed...Feel Alive

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
It's SLIGHTLY hotter than pure Habanero paste because it only contains a small amount of the Thai pepper extract. Of course if the Jolokia content was higher, it would get much, much hotter proportionally. I think he told me that corporate says it hits somewhere in the 500K range on Scovilles.

By the way, I have a bottle of this in my cabinet. I haven't tasted yet, I don't want to break the cool-ass seal.

Makes me hurt just looking at it

Bump
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM

I remember that and I think, but not sure, that Donald Stephenson fucked something up or one of the o-lineman.

GloryDayz
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I think I have an idea about why she's single.

frankotank
11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
The Goat!!!

The Bat Wing!

"it's so veiny" ROFL

MotherfuckerJones
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Hope her pussy rusts shut!!

Old Dog
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM

A bit of friendly advice: When you open it DO NOT touch your finger to the stopper and place it on directly to your tongue thinking, "This can't be as hot as they say it is". You will be mistaken.
I like to eat "hot", but I put three drops of that in a bowl of chili and it's more than enough.

BWillie
11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
You shouldn't have to tip. I dont have a problem with it.

DaFace
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Average = 15%

Yes. I'm generally a good tipper. I usually do 20% as long as no one does anything to irritate me, but the accepted standard is 20% for good service, 15% for average service, and 10% for poor service.

Third Eye
11-02-2012, 04:28 PM

You do realize that if nobody tipped, the cost of your meal would go up right?

R8RFAN
11-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Once they know you and know you leave a good tip, you usually get treated a bit more special...

BWillie
11-02-2012, 04:35 PM
You do realize that if nobody tipped, the cost of your meal would go up right?

Probably. Im fine with that. Tipping is. Stupid. Do your job...get paid foe your job. Make restaurants pay thier staff more than 3.19 an hr. Its bullshit. Ive been a waiter before...I must say though I made way more money than I deserved.

DaFace
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Probably. Im fine with that. Tipping is. Stupid. Do your job...get paid foe your job. Make restaurants pay thier staff more than 3.19 an hr. Its bullshit. Ive been a waiter before...I must say though I made way more money than I deserved.

Eh, I like it. It links performance directly with pay. I'd hate to have a stellar waiter get paid the same as someone who is consistently an ass to his customers.

keg in kc
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
If you can't afford a tip on a meal, you probably shouldn't be buying that meal to begin with.

Strongside
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I tip generously when the service merits it. If you're a shit waitress/waiter and I have to wait for a drink....you're getting 5%

Bump
11-02-2012, 05:32 PM

then don't go to restaurants where they pay servers $2-3 per hour. That's the only way to stop it, not by stiffing the servers.

chiefsfan987
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Totally shi***. I think one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, but in most places like one I served at a few years ago the waiters have to tip out other team members based on a percentage of your sales. If this exact same scenario happened at a place I used to work at the server would have just paid 6 dollars to wait on that "single mother" because that is what cut of the tip the host, bartender, and kitchen would have received on that $140 bill alone. Even though that tip says zero, at the place I used to work at the server would have actually made negative 6 dollars on that table because that's how much the waiter would have had to tip out team members on that tab alone. In general it usually evens out by the end of the night because you have a few really good tips and a few really bad ones with everything else falling in the middle, but it doesn't always work out that way. If you don't leave a tip, the server technically paid to wait on you at my old job.

Bump
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Totally shi***. I think one thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, but in most places like one I served at a few years ago the waiters have to tip out other team members based on a percentage of your sales. If this exact same scenario happened at a place I used to work at the server would have just paid 6 dollars to wait on that "single mother" because that is what cut of the tip the host, bartender, and kitchen would have received on that $140 bill alone. Even though that tip says zero, at the place I used to work at the server would have actually made negative 6 dollars on that table because that's how much the waiter would have had to tip out team members on that tab alone. In general it usually evens out by the end of the night because you have a few really good tips and a few really bad ones with everything else falling in the middle, but it doesn't always work out that way. If you don't leave a tip, the server technically paid to wait on you at my old job.

yup. At the restaurant I worked at, the servers tip out bussers, bar and expo's. The standard was 10% to bussers, 10% to expo, 15% to bar. Based on what they made for the night. That's pretty typical for a restaurant actually. It's pretty fascist shit if you ask me. The company gets all of this money for sales and pays more than half of their staff $2/hr. That means they are very very expendable and I had to fire so many people for little things because it was corporate hell. Very successful business, the company founder is extremely rich. Extremely.

CoMoChief
11-02-2012, 09:13 PM
That was bad form. No need to make a spectacle of her choice.
She's entitled not to tip the server. She should've exercised that right quietly and gone about her business.

$14 or $140 she's still not obligated to tip the server.
15% of that total is about $20. Are you certain she had $158?
Are you certain that had she tipped a significantly lower percentage of the bill that the server would've been satisfied?

On that point, we agree.

I agree you're not obligated to tip anyone. The "obligation" isn't really what I'm talking about here.

It's the fact that this woman didn't tip because she's playing the poor single mother card..literally..wrote it out on the recpt. And the ONLY reason it was written on the recpt was to maybe the waitress in some ridiculous way just might show some sympathy of where this woman is coming from??? But then again....so poor....but yet a $140 tab?

So really the question is why is this customer spending $140 on a meal if she's just a "poor single mother" ???

I can't remember the last time I've ever spent that much money on a restaurant tab, and I've paid for multiple people before.

Simply Red
11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
they should make her do some time, four finger whore!

KcMizzou
11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Must be Ms. Pink. First thing I thought of...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z-qV9wVGb38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefspants
11-02-2012, 09:48 PM

I'm going to guess that you've never held a job as a server.

Tombstone RJ
11-02-2012, 11:06 PM
this looks like bs to me.

cdcox
11-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Aren't we all missing the point? SHE USED A CREDIT CARD!!!!!!

Psyko Tek
11-03-2012, 12:16 AM
i never tip on the card bill only leave cash
that way it's free money to the hard working servers

Mr. Flopnuts
11-03-2012, 06:44 AM
You have no clue. In MO they make 3.13 an hour and in some cases pay tipshare on top of that. When I was waiting I paid 3.5% of my total sales so restaurants could justify paying host 4.50 an hour. My tip money went to them. So in this case, I would've had to pay about 5.50 to wait on their asses. Frequently my hourly would be less than my tipshare for the day. So in essence, I paid to pick up those tables. Total bullshit...

Just a reminder for anyone not bothering to read the thread responses.

bevischief
11-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I always tip the good ones well so I get good service when I come back. I walk into my local bar and my beer is on the way no matter how busy they are. I once compensated my bartender for a lack of a tip on a huge group the manager helped clear the table and the receipt was throw out by accident at least a $20 tip, as I left she was screaming my name as I made up for it.

Gary
11-03-2012, 09:03 AM
From the movie waiting: http://youtu.be/RvVdIg-sTo4?t=4m14s
(couldn't embed video)

notorious
11-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Has Hootie chimed in yet? He usually throws in a "Black people don't tip" comment in these threads.

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 09:08 AM
From the movie waiting: http://youtu.be/RvVdIg-sTo4?t=4m14s
(couldn't embed video)

Damn right, a few of the people in this thread deserve the hell out of this.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Better than getting tipped a Cassel rookie card

stevenidol
11-03-2012, 09:28 AM
i never tip on the card bill only leave cash
that way it's free money to the hard working servers

I always had to wait to get credit/debit card tips until I got my paycheck. Cash tips I would receive that night. Obviously I preferred cash tips.

For the people that tip poorly, I hope you don't go back to the same restaurant and that server is working, because they talk and everyone will know you aren't worth any effort.

Servers live on tips, not wages, so if I believe you are a bad tipper I may as well forget your table and use my time keeping my other 2-3 tables even happier.

Also to bad tippers, DIAF.

Easy 6
11-03-2012, 09:32 AM
As other have said, if she is hurting too bad to tip on a bill like that, that money needed to have been spent at the grocery store.

What a bitch.

Having been a server, it can be a stressful, thankless job and without some decent tips, its hardly worth bothering with.

AndChiefs
11-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I always had to wait to get credit/debit card tips until I got my paycheck. Cash tips I would receive that night. Obviously I preferred cash tips.

For the people that tip poorly, I hope you don't go back to the same restaurant and that server is working, because they talk and everyone will know you aren't worth any effort.

Servers live on tips, not wages, so if I believe you are a bad tipper I may as well forget your table and use my time keeping my other 2-3 tables even happier.

Don't make a mistake on that...could screw yourself.

Baconeater
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM

I had no idea about that. Although it doesn't matter to me too much as I always tip in cash anyway. The less money the IRS can track the better.

AussieChiefsFan
11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
wow this thread is still going.....

lcarus
11-03-2012, 09:38 AM

Agreed. The customer was wrong for shafting them, and the server is wrong to cry about it to this extent.

Rausch
11-03-2012, 09:40 AM

Keep in mind that your service, not your financial situation, determines your tip.

Great service should be tipped above the standard 20% because it's rare.

Horrible service deserves no tip. Horrible service should be lucky with the no-tip and thank God above I didn't have time to call the manager over and point out every fail and problem with the service...

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I usually leave the tip with cash and scan my Perkstreet card for the food when I have cash on me.

When wait staff know you tip good you get treated better, they get you the hottest freshest basket of rolls, they talk and seem happy and smile.... You are the customer she wants to wait on... If you can't afford a tip try buying the hamburger instead of the steak you were gonna buy and give her the difference.... You will be full either way and 8 hours from now you won't know the difference.

JASONSAUTO
11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
The Goat!!!

"it's so veiny"
Posted via Mobile Device

kindra68
11-03-2012, 11:03 AM

this was my first thought, too. only difference, i make $2.13 an hour.
~
and i cracks me up when people tell me "now this tip is for YOU. not all the other people here. YOU keep this money" um, yeah, like i have a choice to NOT tipout.

Bump
11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
ya I never understood people who don't tip. I get that tipping is stupid and the company should pay their employees, not the customers. But everyone knows you are 'supposed' to tip good service. Why go to a restaurant that expects tips? Don't go! If you can't afford an extra 15% on a bill, guess what! you can't afford to eat out period.

$140 at a grocery store will last you well over a week but instead you spend it on 1 night?

That type of mentality just bothers me because it doesn't make any sense at all.

Chiefspants
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
this was my first thought, too. only difference, i make $2.13 an hour.
~
and i cracks me up when people tell me "now this tip is for YOU. not all the other people here. YOU keep this money" um, yeah, like i have a choice to NOT tipout.

You wouldn't happen to work at Applebees, would you?

Richard_Cuckold
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
People that dont tip should kill themselves. Seriously waiters have to put up with so much shit its not even funny.
Tip your fuckin waiter/waitress

Mrs. Loopner
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
A lot of nicer restaurants include the tip AND leave another tip line so the waiter/waitress will get 15% that's already figured in plus an additional tip that an unknowing customer will add. If you go to Longhorn Steakhouse check your bill before adding the tip - a 15% tip will already be on the bill and is included in the total.
My guess would be this is the case in this situation and the server is making it look like the 'single mom' didn't leave a tip at all. Since we can't see the entire bill I'm going with the tip was built into the bill and mom chose not to leave an additional one.
Sorry if this was already mentioned in the thread.

Baconeater
11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Automatic gratuity is horseshit...it defeats the purpose of the tipping system.

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
agreed

Chiefspants
11-03-2012, 11:30 AM

I would argue that there's a definite need for it with parties of eight or more people. I can not tell you the amount of times I've been screwed over by a party of ten or more high school kids all paying separately.

Baconeater
11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
I would argue that there's a definite need for it with parties of eight or more people. I can not tell you the amount of times I've been screwed over by a party of ten or more high school kids all paying separately.I can understand that, but it should be a maximum of 10%. That way you're protected from being completely stiffed but there's still some incentive to give good service.

Rausch
11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I would argue that there's a definite need for it with parties of eight or more people. I can not tell you the amount of times I've been screwed over by a party of ten or more high school kids all paying separately.

If you can't convince 10 HC kids to do something stupid you're an idiot...

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Not a chance, if they are paying separately and are High School kids all they are doing is saving you a long walk to fill up their glass....

I will determine if you gave me good service and I will reward you for your good service while treating you with the utmost respect.

Auto Gratuity sucks

fire_egoli
11-03-2012, 11:35 AM
make sure to cook the tips once in awhile, they usually get paid minimum wage and actually have to make the food/do dishes etc instead of carry food out.

J Diddy
11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
make sure to cook the tips once in awhile, they usually get paid minimum wage and actually have to make the food/do dishes etc instead of carry food out.

Who usually gets paid min wage?

J Diddy
11-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Not a chance, if they are paying separately and are High School kids all they are doing is saving you a long walk to fill up their glass....

I will determine if you gave me good service and I will reward you for your good service while treating you with the utmost respect.

Auto Gratuity sucks

Sometimes it screws the server as well. A lot of times it is at a much lower percentage then they were going to tip. However, sometimes it is all that is to be expected from people like the single mom.

A question of do you want the occasional big tip with several no tips/little tips or an even distribution.

fire_egoli
11-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Who usually gets paid min wage?

ROFL

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Sometimes it screws the server as well. A lot of times it is at a much lower percentage then they were going to tip. However, sometimes it is all that is to be expected from people like the single mom.

A question of do you want the occasional big tip with several no tips/little tips or an even distribution.

I can honestly say I have never tipped beyond the gratuity when it was added to the bill

stevenidol
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Keep in mind that your service, not your financial situation, determines your tip.

Horrible service deserves no tip. Horrible service should be lucky with the no-tip and thank God above I didn't have time to call the manager over and point out every fail and problem with the service...

Most managers used to be servers. If you make yourself known as a problem, what do you think happens when you come back with your gift certificate for free food? And if you don't come back, then who really cares?

PACHIEFSFAN
11-03-2012, 12:02 PM

I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time, after the sorry loss to Chokeland, in KC off of St. Hwy. 152 and the food and service were great. One is being built where I live in PA. I am looking forward to eating there often. I am a good tipper for good service, but I will leave a smaller tip for less than good service, but if the service is horrible nlm them.

R8RFAN
11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I ate at Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time, after the sorry loss to Chokeland, in KC off of St. Hwy. 152 and the food and service were great. One is being built where I live in PA. I am looking forward to eating there often. I am a good tipper for good service, but I will leave a smaller tip for less than good service, but if the service is horrible nlm them.

I just don't like slimey wings... Do they make them in the oven?

ThaVirus
11-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Its probably for the better, in truth. I'm sure it ****s the servers over from time to time, but reeeaallly saves their skin on tables of black, Indian, and foreign people.. those ****ers are the worst tippers imaginable, if they even tip at all.

EDIT: High schoolers too. Those little shits don't tip either.

Rausch
11-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Most managers used to be servers. If you make yourself known as a problem, what do you think happens when you come back with your gift certificate for free food?

So a complaint = punishment.

Your failure to serve/cook/wait a meal means I get spit/pubes/shoe dirt on my next meal?

I see why you might have problems...

stevenidol
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
So a complaint = punishment.

Your failure to serve/cook/wait a meal means I get spit/pubes/shoe dirt on my next meal?

I see why you might have problems...

Likewise.

Chiefspants
11-04-2012, 04:35 PM
If you can't convince 10 HC kids to do something stupid you're an idiot...

I think a lot of you are underestimating the general immaturity of high schoolers in this generation, they are, by far, my most despised demographic. The tables are generally trashed, (ketchup on the tables, food on the floors, etc.) and a lot of the kids seem to make a game out of treating the server with complete contempt.

What it comes down to is that the majority of high school customers are there on their parents' bank account and have no concept of what it's like to hold a job.

Rant over, flame away.

Lumpy
11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
People like this piss me off! Single mom or not, if you're going to drop that much dough on dinner, be prepared to tip.

My rule is this...

Excellent service = 20%
Good service = 15%
Meh service = 5-10%
Holy crap... that service sucked! = 0% + contact management

There is an exception to my rule though. Like when I took my son to Village Inn a few months back. The service wasn't just excellent, but when the waitress handed me the check, she and I conversed for some time about kids and such. She was a single mom w/ 4 kids and Village Inn was her 3rd job.

I ended up tipping her 40%.

Brock
11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
EDIT: High schoolers too. Those little shits don't tip either.

They don't have any money.

Otter
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Was she black?

CoMoChief
11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Was she black?

And if she was?

Otter
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
And if she was?

Her skin pigment would be darker.

DrunkBassGuitar
11-04-2012, 05:52 PM

If the service is really bad I'll still leave a tip, but I'll only round up to the next dollar. If you live a $0.60 tip then you're telling the server they did a shit job. You leave nothing then you come off as the asshole...assuming of course the server is the least bit self-aware.

Although something about this story has me really skeptical. Maybe it's because its from reddit. But there's no itemized receipt. Could there have been a gratuity included in the $138 bill? It's possible. If that's the case then I don't think you really need to tip on top of it. Did the server do a bad job? Did the person leave a cash tip in lieu of a tip on the credit slip, I do that so that the server doesn't have to claim the tip and pay taxes on it.

DrunkBassGuitar
11-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Auto Gratuity sucks

Auto gratuity is there to protect the server from getting shafted on a big group. You can be the best server in the world and still get stiffed by some cheap ass. If you've got a table of 12 people and they stiff you it's like getting stiffed by 3 tables of 4. At least if you're stiffed by one of the smaller tables you're not out 20 or 30 bucks.

ChiefsNow
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
So I guess dine and dash is out of the question.