PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chip Kelly

Coogs
11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a1

I'm kind of intrigued.

We need to get Pioli out of Dodge. Get in an inovative GM and set the wheels in motion to get someone along this line rather than some of the same ol' retreads that are floating around the NFL.

xztop12
11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
With the collective bargaining crap that makes practices shorter his uptempo would get the most donw

theelusiveeightrop
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Very interesting.......

Mr_Tomahawk
11-02-2012, 09:54 AM
With the collective bargaining crap that makes practices shorter his uptempo would get the most donw

College teams practice more than the pros?

SNR
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Kelly is the most organized has-his-shit-together coach people have seen in a long time. He's certainly a reverse from Romeo Crennel, that's for sure.

The Bad Guy
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
He's my pick. I ultimately think Cowher is here, but I'd rather have Kelly.

BigCatDaddy
11-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I think I could get behind a Geno-Chip combo.

Mr_Tomahawk
11-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Cowher will end up in Carolina where he lives and daughter/s? Go to college.

SNR
11-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Somebody check the housing sales for Leawood to see if Cowher is on the list.

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
If you think Kelly is the most organized, you have never followed Bill Snyder or Tom Osborne.

With that said, what are people wanting from Kelly? Is it it his overall coaching or a fascination with his offense? If it is his offense, you might as well kiss that idea of having him out of the picture. His offense isn't meant for the NFL or doesn't mesh. You might as well hire Urban Meyer. He runs a finesse zone read offense built purely off speed. Have you seen the NFL clamoring for that offense? Very good coach but no Jim Harbaugh or Nick Saban.

The only way he is hired is if some owner and GM wants to buck the norm and experiment running the zone read in the NFL. Would be a lot of fun but I still don't think the NFL has the balls.

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
If you think Kelly is the most organized, you have never followed Bill Snyder or Tom Osborne.

With that said, what are people wanting from Kelly? Is it it his overall coaching or a fascination with his offense? If it is his offense, you might as well kiss that idea of having him out of the picture. His offense isn't meant for the NFL or doesn't mesh. You might as well hire Urban Meyer. He runs a finesse zone read offense built purely off speed. Have you seen the NFL clamoring for that offense? Very good coach but no Jim Harbaugh or Nick Saban.

Certainly it's not the fact that he's turned the powerhouse football state that is Oregon into a perennial national title contender. No way he can coach, Oregon has nothing but 5* all-American recruits...

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM

I'm pretty sure the two guys that interest me most are:
1. Kelly

2. Mike McCoy
Then it's--
3. Everyone else

4. Cowher

SNR
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM

The only way he is hired is if some owner and GM wants to buck the norm and experiment running the zone read in the NFL. Would be a lot of fun but I still don't think the NFL as the balls.Snyder? Osborne?

We're talking about potential head coaches in the NFL. Not museum relics.

If I said "Lebron is the best in the league" would you bring up Michael Jordan?

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Ok so your wanting him for his coaching ability.... GOOD!

SNR
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Ok so your wanting him for his coaching ability.... GOOD!

Yes. That's what I said awhile ago.

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Well sorry I just get sick of people clamoring for the offense and not the overall coach. Glad again your wanting the coach.

SNR
11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I doubt Chip Kelly would come in here and install his Oregon offense in the pros. He's smart enough to know that while the NFL is moving in that direction, it's still not THAT wide open yet.

RunKC
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Chip Kelly scares the shit out of me. He has no NFL experience.

Give me Ray Horton. Dude knows what the hell he's doing. He's gonna get this defense rocking and he's very personable.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Chip Kelly is very creative on offense and will figure out how to beat pro style defenses.

BigCatDaddy
11-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Give me Ray Horton. Dude knows what the hell he's doing. He's gonna get this defense rocking and he's very personable.

I don't want a conservative ass defensive coach.

The Bad Guy
11-02-2012, 10:27 AM

So what if he has no NFL experience. Guy builds winners.

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I want a coach that wants to attack the shit out of the other team on both sides of the ball. Screw bend but don't break or take what they give you mindsets...

Pawnmower
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm down

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
But he will have to make adjustments. Notably with his QB play. It is hard enough in today's NFL to keep your QB healthy but to ask a running QB to handle the ball as much as zone read QB's needs to is downright frightening in the NFL! These type of QB's get injured enough in the college game, how would they fair in the NFL? Guys like Vick get hurt all the time in the first place. Think about that for a moment. Your paying these players big money to perform and to be on the field.

suds79
Pretty sure Chip Kelly would be able to score a lot of points in the NFL. That's what that system does. It's QB friendly. The spread is already here. (Siants, Lions, Patriots, Packers)

The Bad Guy
Kelly's organized, insanely smart, and can put smart people in place to run a defense. His defense at Oregon this year is very very good.

The fact that he's an offensive guru is icing on the cake.

Woodchuck
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
The only coach that was successful in college and the pros was Jimmy Johnson. I don't count Barry Switzer.

We need a pro coach for sure.

mcaj22
11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Chip is my #1 for the simple fact that he has no NFL experience and that is exactly what we need the purge of. A guy that has no NFL connections and is not part of any shit Patriots tree or isnt a retread coach thats been out of the league for 6 years with old outdated schemes and philosophies that is only based on a legend

I'd say

1. Chip Kelly
2. Andy Reid

3. everyone else

KCrockaholic
11-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I would be a big fan of an offense with Geno Smith and Chip Kelly. Assuming we put together a better staff around him as well. I hate coaches who try to be HC and OC or DC. Kelly would need to step aside just a little bit, and allow a guy with a similar philosophy run the offense for it to be successful.

Also, while we're on the topic of NCAA coaches, Mike Gundy needs to take a shot at the NFL one day. That guy is absolutely impressive. I've been a big fan of his since about 2007.

cyborgtable
The only coach that was successful in college and the pros was Jimmy Johnson. I don't count Fece Switzer.

Why does no one remember Bill Walsh

KCrockaholic
The only coach that was successful in college and the pros was Jimmy Johnson. I don't count Fece Switzer.

You realize a good portion of the HC's in today's league coached in the NCAA at some point.

The Bad Guy

You are fucking stupid. No surprise though.

Bill Walsh was a pretty god damn good coach. Jim Harbaugh looks like he's going to be a really good coach.

You're right though, let's completely ignore the talent in college because not many have succeeded but we'll just hire some retread jackass from the NFL because they are always the answer.

The Bad Guy
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
You realize a good portion of the HC's in today's league coached in the NCAA at some point.

Of course he doesn't. He's Jerrell Powe stupid.

htismaqe
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
You are ****ing stupid. No surprise though.

Bill Walsh was a pretty god damn good coach. Jim Harbaugh looks like he's going to be a really good coach.

You're right though, let's completely ignore the talent in college because not many have succeeded but we'll just hire some retread jackass from the NFL because they are always the answer.

What most people don't realize is that back in the day, before the NFL was huge, almost ALL of these coaches got started in college.

Don Coryell started in college, so did Dick Vermeil, and Herm Edwards, and John Fox.

KCrockaholic
11-02-2012, 10:40 AM
http://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/college-football-schools-with-the-most-pro-head-coaches/

I'll drop this here. Interesting information.

The Bad Guy
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
What most people don't realize is that back in the day, before the NFL was huge, almost ALL of these coaches got started in college.

Don Coryell started in college, so did Dick Vermeil, and Herm Edwards, and John Fox.

You mean they just didn't wake up one day and become NFL head coaches without paying their dues elsewhere? I'm shocked.

Dante84
11-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Yeah the 49ers have really sucked ass the past two years.

Woodchuck
11-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Yes, what I meant was that none of them won a championship in college and in the pros except for Johnson and Switzer.

My bad, I didn't say that right.

Brock
11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Did you learn nothing from Steve Spurrier?

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
What type of offense has those college to pro coaches ran? ;-)

Steve Spurrier tried to fit his offense into NFL, didn't work.

teedubya
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
When I emailed Clark a couple of weeks ago, I specifically asked for Chip Kelly. That probably doesn't matter though, but Chip Kelly would be SOOO Fucking exciting to have as head coach.

I love how he practices his offense against 25 defenders... that's bad ass.

KCrockaholic
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm going to put this link right here. I've been a big fan of Kelly's ever since I found this site, and started really digging into his offense a little more. Sure he will have to make some adjustments in the NFL, but the guy puts in the work to make his offense successful.

http://fishduck.com/

mcaj22
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
just fire Pioli before he has a chance to hire Kirk Ferentz

thats all I ask for the love of god

PGM
11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I think I could get behind a Geno-Chip combo.

*Splooge*

PGM
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
But, but, but it's too risky!!!!

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Chip Kelly has been number one on my list for a while. According to many, he runs crisp, tight, NFL style practices.

He only spurned Tampa Bay this year because he wasn't sure about support from ownership.

I'm sure he'll be the hottest candidate come January 2013.

Detoxing
11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
he wasn't sure about support from ownership.

I'm sure he'll be the hottest candidate come January 2013.

So you're saying.......we have no chance?

Molitoth
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I would love to see Chip Kelly coach the chiefs.

I don't want a retread bringing in old style football. I want something fresh and innovative.

teedubya
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Chip Kelly is number one on my list... although, Scott Pioli was also number one on my GM list in 2009. :-(

KCrockaholic
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Chip Kelly is number one on my list... although, Scott Pioli was also number one on my GM list in 2009. :-(

Don't get mad about it. He was on most people's list. We just had to be the ones to find out the Patriot way is a fraud.

Molitoth
11-02-2012, 11:55 AM

I think he was a lot of peoples man....

The resume fooled us all. But unlike Pioli, WE ADMIT OUR MISTAKES AND MOVE ON.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Eh, the straight to NFL from college doesnt work very well

suds79
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Think this point is overrated. Check the history in this tread. Plenty examples pointed out where it does work.

I think it's an individual basis issue. Steve Spurrier? Nope. Jim Harbaugh? Yes.

I don't think where they come from has much to do with it. Can the guy coach? Yes or no.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Kyle Shanahan might be interesting if we got Smith. The game plans for RG3 have been very good.

ILChief
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Jimmy Johnson and Jim Harbaugh do not approve

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Think this point is overrated. Check the history in this tread. Plenty examples pointed out where it does work.

I think it's an individual basis issue. Steve Spurrier? Nope. Jim Harbaugh? Yes.

I don't think where they come from has much to do with it. Can the guy coach? Yes or no.

Ok, you list every coach that worked and Ill list every coach that didnt and see who stops first. ready... GO

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM

Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino and Dennis Erickson and Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis and Mike Riley approve

Brock
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Jim Harbaugh was an NFL quarterback for 10 years or so. It's not like he just wandered in without any idea what the NFL is like.

BCD
11-02-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm a fan.

He and Geno could make a juggernaut offense.

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Ok, you list every coach that worked and Ill list every coach that didnt and see who stops first. ready... GO

Most coaches period don't work out. If they did there would rarely be any openings.

BCD
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino and Dennis Erickson and Steve Spurrier and Butch Davis and Mike Riley approve

It's like drafting a QB #1 overall.

You know going into it, he's likely to bust. But you hope you pick the right one. You have to take a shot.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Most coaches period don't work out. If they did there would rarely be any openings.

HAHA sure dude

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
HAHA sure dude

What? You think most coaching hires work out?

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
What? You think most coaching hires work out?

That was a nice backtrack.

BCD
11-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Huh? :spock:

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Backtrack of what? I said most coaching hires fail regardless of whether they are a college head coach or an NFL assistant.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Huh? :spock:

He tried to get cute with the "do not approve" post and then he realized he fucked up so now its well.... "everyobdy knows that every coach you hire is going to suck anyways so fuck it."

Right on! If there ever was a vote of confidence to bring in a college coach it HAS TO BE "theyre probably going to suck, but YOU NEVER KNOW!"

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Backtrack of what? I said most coaching hires fail regardless of whether they are a college head coach or an NFL assistant.

There just happens to be much more track record of it happening from college.

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
He tried to get cute with the "do not approve" post and then he realized he fucked up so now its well.... "everyobdy knows that every coach you hire is going to suck anyways so fuck it."

Right on! If there ever was a vote of confidence to bring in a college coach it HAS TO BE "theyre probably going to suck, but YOU NEVER KNOW!"

I don't even know what you're talking about

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't even know what you're talking about

You said Chip Kelly is going to suck

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:17 PM
You said Chip Kelly is going to suck

Link?

Brock
11-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Link?

It's best to just ignore the idiot.

BCD
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
LMAO LA be trollin'

ILChief
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM
It's best to just ignore the idiot.

I think you're right

suds79
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Well you sort of completely igorned my point. I said it depends on the person and not the situation. You continued with the situation (ie - college to pro). So I would understand your point more if you just said "I think you're wrong".

But I'll entertain you. What they hell. I'll play.

1st off let me know what percentages is considered good? Because to the point ILChief was making, there's plenty of coaches from the NFL who don't work out also.

Here's a list of current NFL HCs. Bold the ones you'd be happy with as our HC. Remember, can't pick a college to pro guy.

Just want to see comparison wise what's a good ratio. Then I'll start listing.

Mike Shanahan
Mike Munchak
Greg Schiano
Jeff Fisher
Pete Carroll
Jim Harbaugh
Norv Turner
Mike Tomlin
Andy Reid
Dennis Allen
Rex Ryan
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
Leslie Frazier
Joe Philbin
Romeo Crennel
Mike Mularkey
Chuck Pagano
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Jim Schwartz
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Pat Shurmur
Marvin Lewis
Lovie Smith
Ron Rivera
Chan Gailey
John Harbaugh
Mike Smith
Ken Whisenhunt

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Well you sort of completely igorned my point. I said it depends on the person and not the situation. You continued with the situation (ie - college to pro). So I would understand your point more if you just said "I think you're wrong".

But I'll entertain you. What they hell. I'll play.

1st off let me know what percentages is considered good? Because to the point ILChief was making. There's plenty of coaches from the NFL who don't work out also.

Here's a list of current NFL HCs. Bold the ones you'd be happy with as our HC. Remember, can't pick a college to pro guy.

Just want to see comparison wise what's a good ratio.

Mike Shanahan
Mike Munchak
Greg Schiano
Jeff Fisher
Pete Carroll
Jim Harbaugh
Norv Turner
Mike Tomlin
Andy Reid
Dennis Allen
Rex Ryan
Tom Coughlin
Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
Leslie Frazier
Joe Philbin
Romeo Crennel
Mike Mularkey
Chuck Pagano
Gary Kubiak
Mike McCarthy
Jim Schwartz
John Fox
Jason Garrett
Pat Shurmur
Marvin Lewis
Lovie Smith
Ron Rivera
Chan Gailey
John Harbaugh
Mike Smith
Ken Whisenhunt

So, what youre saying is,

"Other than Coughlin, Harbaugh and Jimmy Johnson there are no other notable college to NFL successes so im just going to pull this 'bold a current head coach game' and hope he gets all confused and stuff"

Brilliant plan my man. Brilliant.

ChiefMojo
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I'll say this though.... the Chiefs are as close to rock bottom as possible. Bringing in Kelly isn't as bad of a idea as if you had a solid entrenched roster.

suds79
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
So, what youre saying is,

"Other than Coughlin, Harbaugh and Jimmy Johnson there are no other notable college to NFL successes so im just going to pull this 'bold a current head coach game' and hope he gets all confused and stuff"

Brilliant plan my man. Brilliant.

You say College to NFL HC doesn't work out very often.

I just want to know what the NFL background to NFL HC success rate is? That's my question.

So if you still want to find this out, let me know what current HCs you like or would be happy with?

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Well we got what many considered to be the #1 GM prospect a few years back, maybe Clark can get it right this time and get the #1 coach?

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
It's like drafting a QB #1 overall.

You know going into it, he's likely to bust. But you hope you pick the right one. You have to take a shot.

What?

What is with this "Likely to Bust" nonsense?

How many first round QB's since 2004 have "busted" and how many have succeeded and won Super Bowls?

Dave, this isn't 1970. Or 1980. Or 1990. Or even 2000.

Highly rated college QB prospects are more prepared when they reach the NFL level than at any time in league history. If a guy "busts", there are extraneous factors involved, which is rare these days for a high pick.

RunKC
11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
And if things couldn't be worse, Philbin is doing an awesome job in Miami with a rookie QB. They are currently a wild card team.

But Pioli passed him up. Probably didn't fit his "Patriot Way" style. Fuck you Scott.

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
What?

How many first round QB's since 2004 have "busted" and how many have succeeded and won Super Bowls?

Highly rated college QB prospects are more prepared when they reach the NFL level than at any time in league history. If a guy "busts", there are extraneous factors involved, which is rare these days for a high pick.

Take note true fans, this is correct. The last bust was JaBustus, and there's been a lot of QB's taken high since him.

RunKC
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Take note true fans, this is correct. The last bust was JaBustus, and there's been a lot of QB's taken high since him.

Sam Bradford and Cam Newton will soon be added to this list.

tecumseh
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Cowher will end up in Carolina where he lives and daughter/s? Go to college.

Best scenerio if he decides to get back to coaching. KC ,I.M.O., isn't much of a magnet for coaches that have been successful. They'd probably go to a big market. KC is excellent for a first time coach that is hungry and wants to build a solid reputation for winning. Just a couple of tweaks and the Chiefs are golden.

BCD
11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
What?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/nfl-draft-first-round-quarterbacks/content.1.html

There are about 15 busts in there.

1st rd QBs

the Talking Can
11-02-2012, 01:32 PM
have to admit, in spite of my doubts about most college coaches, that Kelly + Geno would be an exciting combo...would definitely create some buzz

BCD
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Also, we're on the same side, so there is no reason to argue.

No where did I say don't take a QB high.

I'm saying it's a risk, but a risk you have to take if you want to win.

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 01:36 PM

They both need some help and Newton needs a coach.

The guy just had the greatest season a rookie QB has ever had in NFL history and people are already writing him off...

Bewbies
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
have to admit, in spite of my doubts about most college coaches, that Kelly + Geno would be an exciting combo...would definitely create some buzz

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IhnUgAaea4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BCD
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Bradford looks like he may be headed that way.

Too soon for Newton.

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/nfl-draft-first-round-quarterbacks/content.1.html

There are about 15 busts in there.

1st rd QBs

First off, I said 2004.

Secondly, there are more hits than misses, especially in the past five years.

With the college and pro games growing even closer in the level of play each and every year, it's easier to identify QB's that will translate to the pro level.

All three guys drafted in the Top Ten of 2012 have been outstanding and that trend should only continue.

RunKC
11-02-2012, 01:59 PM
They both need some help and Newton needs a coach.

The guy just had the greatest season a rookie QB has ever had in NFL history and people are already writing him off...

NFL defenses have figured him out. Plus his attitude is shitty. Cam "me, me, me, me and more ME" Newton.

His attitude will be his downfall.

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
NFL defenses have figured him out. Plus his attitude is shitty. Cam "me, me, me, me and more ME" Newton.

His attitude will be his downfall.

Just shut the fuck up.

Cam Newton is on a fucking disastrously run football team.. Ron Rivera has been a terrible head coach and his assistants haven't done him any favors. He and Romeo are tied for league's worst coach. NO ONE on that team is improving, unlike Cleveland, where the team IS improving from week to week.

Hurney did next to nothing to upgrade their receiving corp and they lost their All Pro center earlier this year. Plus, they have no GM and NO direction.

You're fucking clueless, as usual.

Bump
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Do the Harbaugh's have another brother?

Dayze
11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Kirby Smart would be interesting. But doubt he's up to being a HC right out of the gate though.
Chip HC
Kirby D-coord

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Kirby Smart would be interesting. But doubt he's up to being a HC right out of the gate though.
Chip HC
Kirby D-coord

He's 36 and never been a head coach.

If the Chiefs hire a coordinator to become head coach, he'd better be an NFL coordinator and not a guy from the ACC.

That said, if Chip Kelly takes an NFL head coaching position this year, you can expect him to bring most, if not all, of his Oregon staff.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 03:04 PM
You say College to NFL HC doesn't work out very often.

I just want to know what the NFL background to NFL HC success rate is? That's my question.

So if you still want to find this out, let me know what current HCs you like or would be happy with?

So, if I understand it correctly, you want me to choose from the current batch of NFL HCs, that didnt make the jump straight from college HC to NFL HC, that I wouldnt mind being the Chiefs coach? Pretty pointless exercise if you ask me but OK.

Shanahan
Tomlin
Payton
Belichek
Frazier
Philbin
Arians not Pagano
Kubiak
McCarthy
Fox
John Harbaugh
Mike Smith
Whisenhunt

Dayze
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
He's 36 and never been a head coach.

If the Chiefs hire a coordinator to become head coach, he'd better be an NFL coordinator and not a guy from the ACC.

That said, if Chip Kelly takes an NFL head coaching position this year, you can expect him to bring most, if not all, of his Oregon staff.

he's from the SEC.
:evil::Poke:

listopencil
11-02-2012, 03:43 PM
In 2010, after Kelly dismissed established quarterback Jeremiah Masoli for running afoul of the law, the coach plugged in then-sophomore Darron Thomas and rolled to a 12-0 regular season. This year the Ducks had to replace Thomas, star running back LaMichael James and, two weeks into the season, veteran guard Carson York. With redshirt freshman Marcus Mariota now at the helm, Oregon is averaging its usual 53 points and 540 yards per game. It's yet to win a game by fewer than 17 points.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html#ixzz2B6VWrFWG

That is impressive.

DaneMcCloud
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
he's from the SEC.
:evil::Poke:

Oh, my bad.

Alabama.

I'd rather see him with less talent before making a determination about his skills.

scott free
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
If Kelly is the premier offensive mastermind in the college ranks... awesome, lets do it.

But make sure to get him a DC who's an old hand in the NFL and can guide him through his learning curve.

whoman69
11-02-2012, 03:55 PM
The spread option works in college because almost every team has multiple holes in their secondary. Spurrier showed that gimmick college offenses don't work in the NFL. Patrick Ramsey was nearly killed to prove that point.

suds79
11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
So, if I understand it correctly, you want me to choose from the current batch of NFL HCs, that didnt make the jump straight from college HC to NFL HC, that I wouldnt mind being the Chiefs coach? Pretty pointless exercise if you ask me but OK.

Shanahan
Tomlin
Payton
Belichek
Frazier
Philbin
Arians not Pagano
Kubiak
McCarthy
Fox
John Harbaugh
Mike Smith
Whisenhunt

It's not. We're doing a little scientific poll here. I'm just thinking out loud here. So 13 good HCs with NFL backgrounds you listed out of 30 total (minus the two that I know of with college roots) Schiano & Harbaugh. Correct me if there are more.

So 43% success rate right? 13/30

How does that compare to college coaches making the jump?

Schiano? Too early to tell. But you said list some.

So Harbaugh, Johnson, Switzer, people have pointed out Walsh.

Other people on the board help me out if I'm forgetting some.

The point is if you were to say list 1 bust for every success I have, that'd be a 50% success rate. Seems like to me the average to shoot for is 43%

What's the point in all this??? It's that finding a really good coach a lot of times is pretty unlikely. Regardless where they come from. We just remember the college ones because they're typically high profile, hot names at the time when they make the jump. And we all remember those.

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Harbaugh has had one good season a little early to tell with him as well. But OK.

Johnson had success with may have been the most talented roster ever assembled and managed not to fuck it up. Then he went to Miami with a mediocre squad and did jack shit. But OK.

Switzer took over that same squad and DID fuck it up. NO.

Big Smoke
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lJQz1COEWI&hd=1

L.A. Chieffan
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
It's not. We're doing a little scientific poll here. I'm just thinking out loud here. So 13 good HCs with NFL backgrounds you listed out of 30 total (minus the two that I know of with college roots) Schiano & Harbaugh. Correct me if there are more.

The point is if you were to say list 1 bust for every success I have, that'd be a 50% success rate. Seems like to me the average to shoot for is 43%

What's the point in all this??? It's that finding a really good coach a lot of times is pretty unlikely. Regardless where they come from. We just remember the college ones because they're typically high profile, hot names at the time when they make the jump. And we all remember those.

Also, before I took a coach from college straight into HC in the NFL, Id probably take almost 95% of them.

displacedinMN
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
He must have it together some how.

Oregon was never known as a perennial power.

Hire him
Take Geno or barkley-which ever would be better in that system. (Bring back Warner-ha ha)
Replace a few lineman.

Super Bowl in Three years.

Just a little hope

Mr_Tomahawk
11-03-2012, 12:19 PM
GM: Eric DeCosta
HC: Chip Kelly
QB: Tyler Wilson

/FAP.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Gus bradley
Ray horton

Everyone else.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2012, 12:31 PM

It has a lot less to do with win loss as it is about the philosophy. Harbaugh system is tailor made for the NFL. Chip Kelly feels a bit gimmicky for my liking. The NFL has much more skilled defenders to fend off no huddle. And these offense bend to have horrible defenses in the NFL. I despise his fast paced approach because you have to have an elite qb to run it in the NFL. He has to be able to consistently win shootouts.

chiefzilla1501
11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
By the way, for as amazing an offense as he's engineered in college, how many franchise qbs has he groomed? Another reason I don't buy for a second that his system would translate well into the NFL.

milkman
11-03-2012, 01:26 PM

I think that Cowher, if he even wants to return to coaching, is a guy that will want more responsibility is personnel decisions and overall franchise decision making than Clark Hunt wants to give to the HC.

I believe that Hunt wants a clear organizational hierarchy, with the GM and HC.

I highly doubt that Cowher will be in the mix.

By the way, for as amazing an offense as he's engineered in college, how many franchise qbs has he groomed? Another reason I don't buy for a second that his system would translate well into the NFL.

I have two questions.

Can Chip Kelley adapt to the NFL game, and will he recognize the difference between the college game and the NFL where the importance of the QB position is magnified?

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084857/article/chip-kelly-the-mostintriguing-coach-on-nfl-hot-list

Chip Kelly the most-intriguing coach on NFL hot list
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor

Might Oregon coach Chip Kelly consider a move to the NFL?

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com wrote a cool piece Wednesday looking at seven hot coaching names in NFL circles.

Some of the names, like New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, are predictable. Some of them, like Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan (already) and San Francisco 49ers special teams coach Brad Seely, are surprising.

One name stands above the pack as the most intriguing: Oregon coach Chip Kelly. The Patriots already have adopted some of Kelly's fast-break approach to great effect.

"He runs the best practices I've ever seen," an NFC executive told Jeremiah. "I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

It's not just about Kelly's creative offense. His "organizational skills" also could attract NFL owners. There's no reason to think Kelly wants to leave Oregon, but he sure seems like the Great White Whale of coaching hires for 2013.

It would be a lot of fun to see happen. The criticism of Cam Newton probably would stop overnight if he had Kelly as his coach.

Rausch
11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
No and fuck no...

Coogs
11-03-2012, 02:36 PM
No and fuck no...

So he runs what one NFL exec calls "the best practices I've ever seen".

And yet we shouldn't even consider it?

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 02:36 PM
No and fuck no...

Why? The guy has been successful everywhere he's been throughout his career. He's detailed and organized, which are two attributes that FAR outweigh scheme.

Rausch
11-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Why? The guy has been successful everywhere he's been throughout his career. He's detailed and organized, which are two attributes that FAR outweigh scheme.

I think he's a legit consideration for Clark.

Not my favorite, not who I want, but I think he's there...

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I think he's a legit consideration for Clark.

Not my favorite, not who I want, but I think he's there...

FWIW, I don't think that Clark will have a "say" in hiring the head coach, unless it's a guy with a disastrous background.

I expect him to hire a Team President, who in turn hires the General Manager, and together hire the head coach.

No "God-like" control.

KCrockaholic
11-03-2012, 03:22 PM
FWIW, I don't think that Clark will have a "say" in hiring the head coach, unless it's a guy with a disastrous background.

I expect him to hire a Team President, who in turn hires the General Manager, and together hire the head coach.

No "God-like" control.

I don't think he knows enough about football to be able to have the control like a Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder. He needs other guys to do that stuff for him.

whoman69
11-03-2012, 07:43 PM
College coaches trying to bring their gimmick college style to the pros are not successful.

Sorter
11-03-2012, 07:52 PM
College coaches trying to bring their gimmick college style to the pros are not successful.

What makes it a gimmick?

PGM
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM
It's Arena football

Sorter
11-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Because last I checked, NO, GB, and NE use a similar version of the hurryup/no huddle. NE had him come in to go over Oregon's hurry-up and using a 1-word play system. Additionally, I watched a team that was horrible last year use a horrible QB in a zone-read scheme with a washed up RB and no depth to the playoffs.

I highly doubt he sticks with the zone-read if he comes to the NFL but Washington is running pretty well with RG3 right now.

His passing concepts are all pretty similar to stuff you see in the NFL. Nothing crazy or "gimmicky" there. If he could apply his zone blocking philosophies in a traditional 1-back set, I think you'd have gold Jerry.

Sorter
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Also, tonight through 3 quarters, Oregon has dropped 626 yards on USC. Not fucking Baylor. A team that each year produces NFL talent defensively and teaches a NFL based scheme.

KCUnited
11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
I know it's wishful thinking on my part but Chip looks like he may have been into some early thrash, I'm talking Morbid Saint or some Razor.

displacedinMN
11-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Strange thought here.

TAKE COACHES FROM THE MIAA.

There is some of the best football in the country being played in the MIAA. Someone must know how to coach.

Start with Mel Tjeerdsma

Take some of the current staff from NW, MOWO, Emporia, Central and Washb and there would be a great staff.

Wouldnt put up with crap and could teach a team how to play football.

Bewbies
11-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Chip Kelly in the NFL would be a system more like what the Saints run. Only you'd run plays so fast the defense wouldn't be able to do much but sprint to the line and give you base looks.

Lining up and not giving the defense time to scheme, check, checkoff etc what you're doing would be very difficult. If you had a QB capable of throwing to the right reads accurately (like Brees is) you'd be pretty scary to face. Jamal Charles could be an absolute beast in something like that too...

Inmem58
11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Jim Harbaugh disagrees

SNR
11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Strange thought here.

TAKE COACHES FROM THE MIAA.

There is some of the best football in the country being played in the MIAA. Someone must know how to coach.

Start with Mel Tjeerdsma

Take some of the current staff from NW, MOWO, Emporia, Central and Washb and there would be a great staff.

Wouldnt put up with crap and could teach a team how to play football.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Jim Harbaugh disagrees

Jim Harbaugh ran a Pro Style offense at San Diego and Stanford.

JFC, you're fucking dumb.

Inmem58
11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Jim Harbaugh ran a Pro Style offense at San Diego and Stanford.

JFC, you're ****ing dumb.

Why do you hate me?

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Why do you hate me?

I don't hate you.

I just think you're a fucking football moron and constantly talk out of your ass.

the Talking Can
11-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Because last I checked, NO, GB, and NE use a similar version of the hurryup/no huddle. NE had him come in to go over Oregon's hurry-up and using a 1-word play system. Additionally, I watched a team that was horrible last year use a horrible QB in a zone-read scheme with a washed up RB and no depth to the playoffs.

I highly doubt he sticks with the zone-read if he comes to the NFL but Washington is running pretty well with RG3 right now.

His passing concepts are all pretty similar to stuff you see in the NFL. Nothing crazy or "gimmicky" there. If he could apply his zone blocking philosophies in a traditional 1-back set, I think you'd have gold Jerry.

correct about belichick

and the falcons and ravens are running versions of the no-huddle...and falcons are doing it better with a west coast arm in ryan

Sorter
11-03-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't hate you.

I just think you're a ****ing football moron and constantly talk out of your ass.

LMAOLMAO

jspchief
11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
The two big questions about Kelly:

1. What will his offense look like?
2. How will he build his coaching staff?

KCrockaholic
11-03-2012, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=jspchief;9081467]The two big questions about Kelly:

2. How will he build his coaching staff?/QUOTE]

The new GM would have more say on this than Kelly

jspchief
11-03-2012, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=jspchief;9081467]The two big questions about Kelly:

I don't like that at all. That kind of thing is what played a part in our OC carousel. Let the HC get the guys that align with his philosophy.

Bewbies
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=KCrockaholic;9081473]

I don't like that at all. That kind of thing is what played a part in our OC carousel. Let the HC get the guys that align with his philosophy.

Our next GM won't think he's God. We're good there...

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 10:24 PM
[quote=jspchief;9081467]The two big questions about Kelly:

What?

You believe that the GM should choose the head coach's staff?

What the fuck are you smoking?

KCrockaholic
11-03-2012, 10:29 PM
God dammit. I screwed up the quote function.

Anyways, yeah I think the GM should have some say on who he wants on the staff. Obviously it's something they should communicate about, but I'd be surprised if the new HC got full control over the who is on the staff. It's something both would have to agree on.

The GM is the guy who has to come to this team with a plan. And ultimately it's his job on the line if the HC wants an OC or DC that doesn't want the same philosophy.

DaneMcCloud
11-03-2012, 10:36 PM
God dammit. I screwed up the quote function.

Anyways, yeah I think the GM should have some say on who he wants on the staff. Obviously it's something they should communicate about, but I'd be surprised if the new HC got full control over the who is on the staff. It's something both would have to agree on.

The GM is the guy who has to come to this team with a plan. And ultimately it's his job on the line if the HC wants an OC or DC that doesn't want the same philosophy.

No, he shouldn't, unless it's a hire that's detrimental to the organization (see Marty wanting to hire Kurt in San Diego after Wade left).

jspchief
11-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Keep in mind, if Jimmy Johnson and Jim Harbaugh are your models for college to pro success, both of those guys brought much of their college staff with them.

Chip Kelly's current staff is made up of holdovers from previous Oregon regimes.

Saccopoo
11-04-2012, 12:57 AM
There is no fucking way that Oregon lets go of Kelly.

They (Nike) have more money than 98% of the total GNP of western hemisphere countries.

He's probably already accepted a position as Nike VP of Whatever when he decides to retire from coaching the Ducks.

The Chiefs don't have enough jingle to pry Kelly out of Oregon.

Silock
11-04-2012, 01:38 AM
I don't really care if we get Kelly or not, but the notion that we need a college HC in order to revamp our current approach is pretty ludicrous. If you want him because you want a good coach, then fine. But there are plenty of other guys with NFL experience that will be able to overhaul our team's approach, too.

Saccopoo
11-04-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't really care if we get Kelly or not, but the notion that we need a college HC in order to revamp our current approach is pretty ludicrous. If you want him because you want a good coach, then fine. But there are plenty of other guys with NFL experience that will be able to overhaul our team's approach, too.

Yeah, I hear Romeo Crennel might be available at the end of the season...

Silock
11-04-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I hear Romeo Crennel might be available at the end of the season...

wat

munkey
11-04-2012, 04:21 AM
There is no fucking way that Oregon lets go of Kelly.

They (Nike) have more money than 98% of the total GNP of western hemisphere countries.

He's probably already accepted a position as Nike VP of Whatever when he decides to retire from coaching the Ducks.

The Chiefs don't have enough jingle to pry Kelly out of Oregon.

This...Chip would be a complete fool to leave Oregon...especially for a team like the Chiefs..