PDA

View Full Version : Elections Still Undecided about MO Senate race...

mnchiefsguy
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Thread title says it all. I think Claire has been awful and is a rubber stamper for Obama, so I am not inclined to vote for her.

Akin keeps saying stupid stuff, and he has not impressed me enough to win my vote.

I know very little about the Libertarian candidate.

Just to give you an idea, I am voting for Romney for President, Jay Nixon for Governor, and Jacob Turk for our House seat (even though Cleaver will destroy him again).

I tend to be more fiscally conservative, and while I am somewhat socially conservative personally, I am not real big on government telling people how to live their lives.

I feel like a vote for the Lib candidate would be the same as voting for Claire.

So I am turning to my fellow CP political junkies to see what they think. Should I vote Libertarian? Should I hold my nose and vote for Akin?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

ILChief
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Libertarian or Claire

BigRedChief
11-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Akin serving in the Senate as a representative of Missouri? You really think thats the message you want the world to know about Missouri?

HonestChieffan
11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Akin may be an idiot but Claire is dangerous

Brock
Couldn't vote for either of those clowns.

Brock

Idiots are dangerous.

Hoover
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Vote Akin, it will dive the liberals nuts.

cosmo20002
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Thread title says it all. I think Claire has been awful and is a rubber stamper for Obama, so I am not inclined to vote for her.

Akin keeps saying stupid stuff, and he has not impressed me enough to win my vote.

I know very little about the Libertarian candidate.

Just to give you an idea, I am voting for Romney for President, Jay Nixon for Governor, and Jacob Turk for our House seat (even though Cleaver will destroy him again).

I tend to be more fiscally conservative, and while I am somewhat socially conservative personally, I am not real big on government telling people how to live their lives.

I feel like a vote for the Lib candidate would be the same as voting for Claire.

So I am turning to my fellow CP political junkies to see what they think. Should I vote Libertarian? Should I hold my nose and vote for Akin?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Romney says No on Akin. You should too.

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I was going to vote for Nixon until I met Spence in person. He impressed me alot.

Direckshun
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Whether you like it or not, your choice is a moderate's moderate vs. a far right ideologue.

dirk digler
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
no brainer

mnchiefsguy
11-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Whether you like it or not, your choice is a moderate's moderate vs. a far right ideologue.

So the Libertarian is a moderate?

mnchiefsguy
11-05-2012, 08:29 PM
The polls seem to show that Claire has finally got a lock on the race, she is up by 6 points on RCP, so I am leaning towards voting for the Libertarian. Not completely sure though.

Direckshun
11-05-2012, 08:32 PM
So the Libertarian is a moderate?

Claire's got one of the least liberal voting records that there is for the Democratic Party. She is a Blue Dog. She votes moderate.

If a Blue Dog is too far to the left for you, then you're probably too far right to recognize any Democrat as moderate.

mnchiefsguy
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Claire's got one of the least liberal voting records that there is for the Democratic Party. She is a Blue Dog. She votes moderate.

If a Blue Dog is too far to the left for you, then you're probably too far right to recognize any Democrat as moderate.

She is not a fiscal blue dog. She loves to tax and spend. And when moderate Democrats are mentioned, her name never comes up.

Of course, you think Obama is a moderate, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Direckshun
11-05-2012, 08:36 PM
She is not a fiscal blue dog. She loves to tax and spend. And when moderate Democrats are mentioned, her name never comes up.

Of course, you think Obama is a moderate, so I take that with a grain of salt.

When moderate Democrats are mentioned where?

mnchiefsguy
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
When moderate Democrats are mentioned where?

In the news in general. The only folks I have ever heard refer to Claire as a moderate are you and her in her campaign ads.

She wasn't a blue dog in 2009, according to this article, she is nowhere to be found:

http://my.firedoglake.com/bobschacht/2009/08/07/the-senate%E2%80%99s-blue-dogs/

The blue dogs apparently don't have a Senate coalition like they do in the House, so it is more difficult to identify them.

Personally, I think Claire votes moderately on just enough issues so she can campaign as a moderate. When it comes to the big issues like taxes, Obamacare, etc....she votes with Obama.

Claire does not seem to be a viable option for me, as I oppose Obama's views on those key issues. The only reason I am undecided is the fact that somehow Akin won the R nomination for the Senate.

I am just not sure I can hold my nose and vote for Akin. It would be much easier if Claire or Akin had a huge lead in the polls, then I could just vote 3rd party and be done with it.

alpha_omega
11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
ABC
Anyone but Claire.

RINGLEADER
11-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Akin serving in the Senate as a representative of Missouri? You really think thats the message you want the world to know about Missouri?

Both of these things are true.

I can't stand McCaskill and think she's a horrible representative.

But.

Akin should have bowed out after he made his remark. It was terminal, and deserving of a resignation. The fact that he didn't bow out and didn't seem to think there was much wrong with it would just overwhelm my decision making process. I despise the man deeply.

Huffmeister
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I was seriously considering voting for the Libertarian candidate until I Googled his name. One of the results showed him with his shirt off and "legalize marijuana" tattooed on his chest with a pot leaf under it. (Turns out it was just drawn with a Sharpie.)

I'm all for re-evaluating drug laws, but that's just too much nuttiness for a guy that would be representing my state in the Senate. I'll probably just end up leaving it blank.

cosmo20002
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
I was seriously considering voting for the Libertarian candidate until I Googled his name. One of the results showed him with his shirt off and "legalize marijuana" tattooed on his chest with a pot leaf under it. (Turns out it was just drawn with a Sharpie.)

I'm all for re-evaluating drug laws, but that's just too much nuttiness for a guy that would be representing my state in the Senate. I'll probably just end up leaving it blank.

He's known as "the least-crazy Libertarian candidate."

Dallas Chief
11-06-2012, 12:19 AM

ROFL

Great reasoning

jjjayb
11-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Easy. Who's going to vote more like you would want them to? Claire or Aiken? Words mean nothing. Actions mean everything.

patteeu
11-06-2012, 05:38 AM
WTF? Are you seriously bothered by a few blown-out-of-proportion comments? Akin isn't a dumb man. He's been a Congressman and has a voting record. It makes more sense to judge him on the basis of his votes than on the basis of how his political opponents frame his politically retarded statements.

If you want the Senate to be more capable of blocking Romney (including attempts to repeal Obamacare), then make a statement with a Libertarian protest vote. If you want Romney to be able to move his agenda, vote to remove Claire by replacing her with the only realistic alternative.

Direckshun
11-06-2012, 06:31 AM
WTF? Are you seriously bothered by a few blown-out-of-proportion comments? Akin isn't a dumb man. He's been a Congressman and has a voting record.

As well as a rap sheet (http://www.businessinsider.com/todd-akin-abortion-clinic-arrests-2012-11).

oldandslow
11-06-2012, 06:32 AM
WTF? Are you seriously bothered by a few blown-out-of-proportion comments? Akin isn't a dumb man. He's been a Congressman and has a voting record. It makes more sense to judge him on the basis of his votes than on the basis of how his political opponents frame his politically retarded statements.

If you want the Senate to be more capable of blocking Romney (including attempts to repeal Obamacare), then make a statement with a Libertarian protest vote. If you want Romney to be able to move his agenda, vote to remove Claire by replacing her with the only realistic alternative.

You used to be reasonable...what happened?

Seems to me that you'll now vote for anything as long as it has an R after the name.

Akin stated that women don't get pregnant in "real" rapes. The media didn't twist that. It's what he said. C'mon man.

LVNHACK
11-06-2012, 06:33 AM

In those terms....It's kinda like letting you have mod powers on CP......:moon:

LVNHACK
11-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Seriously....they both suck....But I'd still have vote the R ticket because of the bigger picture as I see it...

patteeu
11-06-2012, 07:17 AM
You used to be reasonable...what happened?

Seems to me that you'll now vote for anything as long as it has an R after the name.

Akin stated that women don't get pregnant in "real" rapes. The media didn't twist that. It's what he said. C'mon man.

I'm not voting for him to be my gynecologist, I'm voting for him to represent me in the Senate. If he was nothing but a nut, I wouldn't vote for him, but he's just a conservative with strong social conservative views (which in some cases I disagree with but in almost all cases I find less important than economic, fiscal and national security issues). The fact that he was probably wrong on a fairly obscure biological concept isn't a deal breaker for me. Having a vote that would likely be used to support Barack Obama or obstruct Mitt Romney, as Claire does, is.

In this election, it would be pretty hard for a D to win my vote at the federal level. An R would have to practically be a D or be corrupt for me to vote third party. I don't care about Akin and I resent the fact that he didn't withdraw, but it's more important for me to have an R vote in that seat when an Obamacare repeal is attempted, when major tax reform is contemplated and when the next President appoints a SCOTUS justice or two than it is for me to punish him.

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2012, 08:33 AM

there you have it.:clap:

Fish
11-06-2012, 08:51 AM

A few blown-out-of-proportion comments?

This election cycle has completely gotten to you.....

Direckshun
11-06-2012, 09:09 AM

"Herman Cain would have been a better POTUS than Obama."

-- patteeu

patteeu
11-06-2012, 09:13 AM

How many did you count?

patteeu
11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
"Herman Cain would have been a better POTUS than Obama."

-- patteeu

I'm not sure if that's a real quote or not, but I'd own that 8 days a week either way.

Direckshun
11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure if that's a real quote or not, but I'd own that 8 days a week either way.

And you wonder why the Democrats are about to rack up 300+ EVs in the POTUS election, and gain seats in both chambers.

mnchiefsguy
11-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm not voting for him to be my gynecologist, I'm voting for him to represent me in the Senate. If he was nothing but a nut, I wouldn't vote for him, but he's just a conservative with strong social conservative views (which in some cases I disagree with but in almost all cases I find less important than economic, fiscal and national security issues). The fact that he was probably wrong on a fairly obscure biological concept isn't a deal breaker for me. Having a vote that would likely be used to support Barack Obama or obstruct Mitt Romney, as Claire does, is.

In this election, it would be pretty hard for a D to win my vote at the federal level. An R would have to practically be a D or be corrupt for me to vote third party. I don't care about Akin and I resent the fact that he didn't withdraw, but it's more important for me to have an R vote in that seat when an Obamacare repeal is attempted, when major tax reform is contemplated and when the next President appoints a SCOTUS justice or two than it is for me to punish him.

The bolded part is what is most important. After thinking about the bigger picture, and focusing on the more important fiscal issues...I held my nose and voted against Claire. Not sure that it will matter, but I could not in good conscience vote for Claire.

luv
11-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I honestly don't see how anyone could vote for Akin. I don't care who's running against him.

King_Chief_Fan
11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I honestly don't see how anyone could vote for Akin. I don't care who's running against him.

difference of opinion....I feel the same about McCaskill

L.A. Chieffan
11-06-2012, 09:50 AM
If Missouri votes Akin Ill understand how the rest of the country feels when California keeps voting in crazy Democrats

Fish
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
How many did you count?

Almost a gazillion.

theelusiveeightrop
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Todd Akin feels this is a legitimate thread.

patteeu
11-06-2012, 10:17 AM
And you wonder why the Democrats are about to rack up 300+ EVs in the POTUS election, and gain seats in both chambers.

No, I wonder why you're so sure they will though.

patteeu
11-06-2012, 10:20 AM
The bolded part is what is most important. After thinking about the bigger picture, and focusing on the more important fiscal issues...I held my nose and voted against Claire. Not sure that it will matter, but I could not in good conscience vote for Claire.

I wish all voters had the common sense and rational big picture view that you do. :thumb:

Dallas Chief
11-06-2012, 10:21 AM
As well as a rap sheet (http://www.businessinsider.com/todd-akin-abortion-clinic-arrests-2012-11).

As opposed to the Toker in Chief...Snorter in Chief. Choom choom!!!

Swing and a miss you silly broad.

patteeu
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Almost a gazillion.

Could you list them in order from most offensive to least for me?

Unsmooth-Moment
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEp75ILbqA8