PDA

View Full Version : Obama How to Get Free Stuff From the Government

R8RFAN
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Why Not? Let's sit on our ass and drink 40's all day.

http://www.livingpress.com/articles/governmentbenefits/get-free-stuff-from-the-government/get-free-stuff-from-the-government.html

Munson
11-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Obamaphones for everybody!

KILLER_CLOWN
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
asklesko?

LOCOChief
11-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Thank you for this information. As a conservative I've been told multiple times I need to make fundamental changes in my personal beliefs to conform to the new America and many of these programs might be just the ticket. Since making this transformation as of 11/07/12 I became too lazy to look this stuff up on my own so again, thank you even though I'm entitled to the information anyway.

alanm
11-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Thank you for this information. As a conservative I've been told multiple times I need to make fundamental changes in my personal beliefs to conform to the new America and many of these programs might be just the ticket. Since making this transformation as of 11/07/12 I became too lazy to look this stuff up on my own so again, thank you even though I'm entitled to the information anyway.Why not? Everyone else is.

theelusiveeightrop
11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Thank you. My Obamaphone just now came back into service. Thanks Barack for ruining the Country we all love.

HemiEd
11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Thank you. My Obamaphone just now came back into service. Thanks Barack for ruining the Country we all love.

You don't like free shit?

Chocolate Hog
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Does Chipolte still give out free Burritos?

BucEyedPea
11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
This thread is funny! ROFL

BWillie
11-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Deal...love free shit. Cant wait till u ppl have tobpay for my health care when I retire in three yrs. Jobs are for suckers. You guise lose. Zing!

DrunkBassGuitar
11-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I fucking hate poor people so much.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Poor, poor, fellas! I say you should all take advantage of these programs. Live off that crumb of cheese the government hands out to those on the dole. In fact, I hope you all have no choice but to do so for a good 6-12 months. You might gain some perspective on how little of a drop in the bucket this is.

J Diddy
11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Why Not? Let's sit on our ass and drink 40's all day.

http://www.livingpress.com/articles/governmentbenefits/get-free-stuff-from-the-government/get-free-stuff-from-the-government.html

You should grab some diaper rash medicine cause it sounds like your ass is on fire.

Hog Farmer
11-09-2012, 07:20 AM
In honor of our President I'm offering free boar jizz to the first 100 callers.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:22 AM
You should grab some diaper rash medicine cause it sounds like your ass is on fire.

Nope.. Ya see my little Libtard friend... I have a shitload of cash,My house is paid for and I am debt free, I don't owe anyone except the utilities and insurance...

This has no effect on me, I was planning on buying me a new vehicle this year cash, but those plans are scrapped, I don't trust the direction this country is going...

Am I bragging, hell no I am taking care of myself and my family, I am sitting on my money because I will spend my fucking money the way I want because I earned my money and no fucking worthless liberal bleeding heart that thought he deserved everything in the world is going to tell me otherwise.

R8RFAN
I ****ing hate poor people so much.

I hate Sorry People

Saulbadguy
asklesko?

Oh man, thank god that shit stain is no longer assaulting my senses with his obnoxious commercials.

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
http://politicalirony.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/761x1024x1099ckCOMIC-desert-island-recession-761x1024.png.pagespeed.ic.zNNTFIBwnq.png

DrunkBassGuitar
11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I think we should shoot anyone who maeks under $50000 a year.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Nope.. Ya see my little Libtard friend... I have a shitload of cash,My house is paid for and I am debt free, I don't owe anyone except the utilities and insurance...

This has no effect on me, I was planning on buying me a new vehicle this year cash, but those plans are scrapped, I don't trust the direction this country is going...

Am I bragging, hell no I am taking care of myself and my family, I am sitting on my money because I will spend my fucking money the way I want because I earned my money and no fucking worthless liberal bleeding heart that thought he deserved everything in the world is going to tell me otherwise.

I also have zero debt. I'm more educated than you, have a great job, bought a new car earlier this year, etc., etc.

But because I have far different views from you politically, socially, morally, and religiously, that makes me think I deserve everything in this world and want free handouts? GTFO.

DrunkBassGuitar
11-09-2012, 07:27 AM
http://politicalirony.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/761x1024x1099ckCOMIC-desert-island-recession-761x1024.png.pagespeed.ic.zNNTFIBwnq.png

what are you talking about? europe is doing great now after all the austerity measures

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:30 AM
I also have zero debt. I'm more educated than you, have a great job, bought a new car earlier this year, etc., etc.

But because I have far different views from you politically, socially, morally, and religiously, that makes me think I deserve everything in this world and want free handouts? GTFO.

How do you know you have more education than I do?

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:32 AM
How do you know you have more education than I do?

LMAO

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:34 AM
are you an engineer? Doctor? School teacher? What do you do?

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:37 AM

What does it matter? It's pretty obvious what he said was true.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:38 AM
What does it matter? It's pretty obvious what he said was true.

Do you even work? You are here 24/7

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Do you even work? You are here 24/7

Nope, I suckle off the government teat. It's a great life.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Nope, I suckle off the government teat. It's a great life.

You act like the type that would regardless of if you do or not.

J Diddy
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM

Am I bragging, hell no I am taking care of myself and my family, I am sitting on my money because I will spend my ****ing money the way I want because I earned my money and no ****ing worthless liberal bleeding heart that thought he deserved everything in the world is going to tell me otherwise.

You sound like a leprachaun guarding his pot of gold. LMAO I'm glad that you are debt free, I am sorry about you not feeling comfortable about buying a new vehicle, I am glad that you are taking care of yourself and your family (that is the right thing to do), and I don't give 50% of 2 shits about your money.

Please tell me again how not buying a new car and sitting on your money hurts liberals.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Is your family proud of you or are they parasites too?

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
You act like the type that would regardless of if you do or not.

You should get back to work. I need to buy a new flat screen TV, i(obama)Phone and Playstation 3. The only way i'll be able to afford that is if you work harder.

J Diddy
You should get back to work. I need to buy a new flat screen TV, i(obama)Phone and Playstation 3. The only way i'll be able to afford that is if you work harder.

rep

LMAO

Saulbadguy

My family (cousins, brothers, aunties and uncles) all live with me. We pretty much smoke ganja and drink 40's all day.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:43 AM
You sound like a leprachaun guarding his pot of gold. LMAO I'm glad that you are debt free, I am sorry about you not feeling comfortable about buying a new vehicle, I am glad that you are taking care of yourself and your family (that is the right thing to do), and I don't give 50% of 2 shits about your money.

Please tell me again how not buying a new car and sitting on your money hurts liberals.

It hurts the overall economy but I am not alone, my little bit of money is on a grain of sand in the US economy.

See, the sad part is, the really rich people are the ones that will hurt the most.. The really rich people buy what us little people make and employ us.. When they sit on their money, the whole country is screwed.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 07:45 AM

I'm an engineer with a B.S.E.E, M.S.E.E., and M.B.A.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm an engineer with a B.S.E.E, M.S.E.E., and M.B.A.

Well yea you do have a better education than I do , But do you have common sense?

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Well yea you do have a better education than I do , But do you have common sense?

Enough to to know that any discourse with you is a waste, but it's a slow morning on a Friday.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Enough to to know that any discourse with you is a waste, but it's a slow morning on a Friday.

Well why did you open that big piehole bitch? LMAO

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
I have known many engineers and about 9 out of 10 of them were really smart but needed a fucking map to get home everyday... Is that how you are?

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Well why did you open that big piehole bitch? LMAO

Clearly stated in my prior post.

I have known many engineers and about 9 out of 10 of them were really smart but needed a fucking map to get home everyday... Is that how you are?

No, I don't fit the stereotypical engineer mold. I'm Awesome. Duh.

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Engineers here take their breaks at exactly 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Every single day, without fail. It's annoying.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Clearly stated in my prior post.

I missed that but seriously man... YOU are really not the target here of my wrath and I have no idea why you identify with the libtards, maybe you hate God, or want to kill babies , you may think America should turn it's head anytime there is a conflict in the world or you just like really hairy women but whatever the reason I hope you get to pay more taxes soon like you voted for.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I missed that but seriously man... YOU are really not the target here of my wrath and I have no idea why you identify with the libtards, maybe you hate God, or want to kill babies , you may think America should turn it's head anytime there is a conflict in the world or you just like really hairy women but whatever the reason I hope you get to pay more taxes soon like you voted for.

ROFL

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Engineers here take their breaks at exactly 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Every single day, without fail. It's annoying.

Ha!

One of the design groups here migrates as a large herd twice daily to Dunkin Donuts and back.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Ha!

One of the design groups here migrates as a large herd twice daily to Dunkin Donuts and back.

plight of the wildebeest?

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:08 AM
plight of the wildebeest?

If you eat enough DD I think you turn into a wildebeest... or a cow.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:09 AM
If you eat enough DD I think you turn into a wildebeest... or a cow.

Their coffee is fucking awesome

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Their coffee is fucking awesome

If you drink that sort of thing.

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:22 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DL-a-r7iJIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DL-a-r7iJIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Judge Judy is one of my favorite judge shows, I always catch that when i'm stayin at home doin nothin

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm sure this is just a coincidence...

http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/2012/11/509bedacdc6e5.jpeg

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:35 AM

But all except 1 on the right was using common sense and not the advice of their Libtard Professor

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 08:35 AM

college, liberal professors, etc...

I'm sure if you ranked them by "common sense" it would be reversed...

Saulbadguy
11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
But all except 1 on the right was using common sense and not the advice of their Libtard Professor

Holy shit - I swear I did not see this before I composed my post.

ROFL

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

ROFL

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

R8RFAN
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

ROFL

You know what the deal is

Mr. Flopnuts
11-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Actually, if you read the bottom of the picture in the small print you'll see this was published by Fox News Business.

fan4ever
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM

...and they store their batteries in the freezer...everyone I've ever met. It's a little game I play...I always ask. It's incredibly consistant...

fan4ever
11-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Jeez. That's amazing. How could so many smart people vote so ignorantly? Comatose for the last 4 years?

Detoxing
11-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Wow. Of all the rebuttals you guys could've come up with, this is the best you got?

Yeah, damn all those college students and professors. Stupidest people in the country, i always say....

:rolleyes:

fan4ever
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM

I got to spend an hour this week looking for my car keys because my mother-in-law picked them up and put them in her purse...I have about four keys on my key chain and hers looks like a janitor's.

She has a Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate and teaches at the local college. I've made the common sense observation since being married to her daughter...27 years. Of course with her vast education, she's a liberal.

fan4ever
11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Wow. Of all the rebuttals you guys could've come up with, this is the best you got?

Yeah, damn all those college students and professors. Stupidest people in the country, i always say....

:rolleyes:

Not neccessarily "stupid" but indoctrinated. And fancy book learnin' don't make you the sharpest bulb in the shed.

KChiefer
11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Didn't this guy already tell us how??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

http://www.lesko.com/Lesko-Photos/page12/IMG_0156-pp.JPG

vailpass
11-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Forgive me, I'm too obtuse to deduce your point here. Could you lay it out for me please?

J Diddy
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Not neccessarily "stupid" but indoctrinated. And fancy book learnin' don't make you the sharpest bulb in the shed.

Stupid people keep telling me that.

Dallas Chief
11-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Elitism.

BWillie
11-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Am I bragging, hell no I am taking care of myself and my family, I am sitting on my money because I will spend my ****ing money the way I want because I earned my money and no ****ing worthless liberal bleeding heart that thought he deserved everything in the world is going to tell me otherwise.

Jesus christ dude, calm down.

listopencil
11-09-2012, 10:59 PM

What's wrong with following a break schedule?

DaKCMan AP
11-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Awesomeness.

FYP

guitarmy21b
11-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I got blown up in Afghanistan and the Army gave me a free iPod. Win!

LiveSteam
11-10-2012, 10:24 AM

I see what you did here

demonhero
11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I actually signed up for this last night just to see how faulty this is to get excepted. I'm paying into this system... nothing wrong with getting my money back right? ROFL :shake:

LiveSteam
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I actually signed up for this last night just to see how faulty this is to get excepted. I'm paying into this system... nothing wrong with getting my money back right? ROFL :shake:

Everyone should quit their jobs & jump on the band wagon.

demonhero
11-10-2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/new-state-state-college-attainment-numbers-show-progress-toward-2020-goal

Somebody with more patience than me can grab the table.

DaKCMan AP
11-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Excepted or accepted?

:stupid:

Calcountry
11-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Am I bragging, hell no I am taking care of myself and my family, I am sitting on my money because I will spend my ****ing money the way I want because I earned my money and no ****ing worthless liberal bleeding heart that thought he deserved everything in the world is going to tell me otherwise.Oh yeah, well just wait until the Marxist starts talking about all you evil rich people who are patriotically hoarding your cash, and proposes a wealth tax. Don't think it will happen?

demonhero
11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Excepted or accepted?

:stupid:

accepted :p

Its fine k... my liberal teacher in a liberal state gave meh A's in my English classes.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah, well just wait until the Marxist starts talking about all you evil rich people who are unpatriotic ally hoarding your cash, and proposes a wealth tax. Don't think it will happen?
I have alot of cash but I don't consider myself rich by no means, I consider myself well off only because I have discipline to not create what I call leech expenses, which are those that want that money every month...

I have set myself up in a way that if I can't work because of health, I can still have income coming in and or if I die, My wife and daughter will be fine... Me and my wife think alike when it comes to money and it makes life so great.

I have been off of work hurt since sept 24, I have disability insurance but as most people know they try to play with you a bit by not sending you checks on time in an attempt to force you to go back to work to get off their dole, I have received 1 check since sept 21 and my wife does not work because I don't want her to.
Of course they will have to pay me eventually in full but let me tell you how nice it is to eat lunch out with the wife everyday, pay the utilities and even buy a gun or two along the way and have no worries at all. No depression or anxiety or fighting about money or the lack there of, just relaxing and healing without wondering if we are gonna eat next week. Life is good and God is great...

My point of all of this is to tell people to get out of debt and stay out of debt and your life will improve

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
accepted :p

Its fine k... my liberal teacher in a liberal state gave meh A's in my English classes.

With a location of Kansas, I doubt that.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I have alot of cash but I don't consider myself rich by no means, I consider myself well off only because I have discipline to not create what I call leech expenses, which are those that want that money every month...

I have set myself up in a way that if I can't work because of health, I can still have income coming in and or if I die, My wife and daughter will be fine... Me and my wife think alike when it comes to money and it makes life so great.

I have been off of work hurt since sept 24, I have disability insurance but as most people know they try to play with you a bit by not sending you checks on time in an attempt to force you to go back to work to get off their dole, I have received 1 check since sept 21 and my wife does not work because I don't want her to.
Of course they will have to pay me eventually in full but let me tell you how nice it is to eat lunch out with the wife everyday, pay the utilities and even buy a gun or two along the way and have no worries at all. No depression or anxiety or fighting about money or the lack there of, just relaxing and healing without wondering if we are gonna eat next week. Life is good and God is great...

but, but, but

JESUS WAS A SOCIALIST!

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 12:25 PM
but, but, but

JESUS WAS A SOCIALIST!

Maybe... But he didn't take from one to give to another, He provides for all as long as you are willing to work for it

God says if a man does not work, let him not eat (2 Thessalonians 3:10)

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe... But he didn't take from one to give to another, He provides for all as long as you are willing to work for it

Guess it just sucks to be a disabled person who can't work, huh?

Brock
11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I have been off of work hurt since sept 24

Lazy bum.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Lazy bum.

According to the bible he shouldn't eat.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Guess it just sucks to be a disabled person who can't work, huh?

Boy you really hate the Bible don't you? Where does it say the disabled should not eat?

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 12:41 PM
According to the bible he shouldn't eat.

I prepared for situations like this so I would not have to burden others to take care of me, some people are not in that situation.

I have no problem with food stamps or anything else to help people in a bind, I just don't think we should provide womb to the tomb coverage to able bodied Americans.

Stewie
11-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Ah, I get it. The SEC is well represented on the right side.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Boy you really hate the Bible don't you? Where does it say the disabled should not eat?

Is there a part where it gives exceptions? That's pretty black and white.

Furthermore, my problem with the bible is not so much a problem with the bible. By itself it is a great book. It is the interpretation that pisses me off. People choose to interpret literally and then metaphorically whichever supports their agenda and do so interchangeably.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Is there a part where it gives exceptions? That's pretty black and white.

Matthew 5:5

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Matthew 5:5

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

That's not even related.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
That's not even related.

It is to me, Ya see, you must interpret the way you read it.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:15 PM
It is to me, Ya see, you must interpret the way you read it.

Bullshit. Like I stated in my edit. You used a literal interpretation to prove a point, when asked about a problem with that you then used a metaphorical interpretation to prove it.

Either the bible is metaphorical or it is literal.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Bullshit. Like I stated in my edit. You used a literal interpretation to prove a point, when asked about a problem with that you then used a metaphorical interpretation to prove it.

I am not trying to convince you of anything, you are a bull headed liberal

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:28 PM

You non believers need to get it through your thick skulls that you are not going to change our minds about the Bible

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
I am not trying to convince you of anything, you are a bull headed liberal

That is good because you are not. I'm not as bullheaded as you think. All I ask is that if quoting a direct source from the bible to reinforce your beliefs then please provide a direct source in dealing with a conflict that arises from that statement and not some metaphorically conjured statement.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
You non believers need to get it through your thick skulls that you are not going to change our minds about the Bible

you "believers" need to get it through your thick skulls that if that is an acceptable form of proof for you then you probably need to rethink your arguments.

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
you "believers" need to get it through your thick skulls that if that is an acceptable form of proof for you then you probably need to rethink your arguments.

No we don't , God said it and I believe end of argument as far as I see.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/32326_522176154459966_657072536_n.jpg

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
No we don't , God said it and I believe end of argument as far as I see.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/32326_522176154459966_657072536_n.jpg

Lol, so no thought. Just a cutesy picture. Is that your defense mechanism?

R8RFAN
11-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Lol, so no thought. Just a cutesy picture. Is that your defense mechanism?

That's it Son... I have nothing to prove. I love Jesus Christ and I am not ashamed to admit it.

J Diddy
11-10-2012, 01:42 PM
That's it Son... I have nothing to prove. I love Jesus Christ and I am not ashamed to admit it.

I'm glad you do. Nothing to be ashamed of. I believe in christ, I believe in God, but I don't believe that the bible is God's word and the only evidence that there is out there to refute that is the bible, so I'll stick with my beliefs.

Dylan
11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
-- Adolf Hitler

Ugly Duck
11-10-2012, 10:51 PM
We Dems have been carrying you Repubs for a long time now. The Teapublicans squealing about "Takers vs Makers" & "Big Government" are the ones getting most of the handouts. Romney has looked at the 47%, and it is you. The left column are top ten states that pay more to the Feds than they get back. The right column are the top ten that receive more federal dollars than they pay in. You Romney supporters should be thanking us Obama supporters cuz we are having our money redistributed to you.

You're welcome.

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/32756/GR_120918_brodwin.jpg

Blue counties subsidize red counties

The same imbalance prevails within states, at the county level. The Blue counties contribute the most state taxes relative to the services they consume. The Red counties consume the most services relative to the taxes they pay. For example, a recent study documented the pattern in Washington state. King County, the solidly-Democratic county that surrounds Seattle, provides "nearly 42% of the state's tax revenues, yet receives only 25% of the money spend from Washington's general fund." Conversely, five counties that require the most in services relative to the taxes they pay are largely Republican.

R8RFAN
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/64525_522784764399105_1780345972_n.jpg

alpha_omega
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
There is probably a specific Obamaphone thread somewhere, but the title of this thread seemed appropriate for this story....

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/354867/me-and-my-obamaphones-jillian-kay-melchior

Me and My Obamaphones (http://www.nationalreview.com/article/354867/me-and-my-obamaphones-jillian-kay-melchior)
Not on welfare or below the poverty line? Never mind — here’s your free phone. By Jillian Kay Melchior (http://www.nationalreview.com/author/jillian-kay-melchior)

Confession: You’re paying my phone bill.
In the past month, I have received three shiny new cell phones, courtesy of American taxpayers, that should never have fallen into my hands.

The Federal Communications Commission oversees the so-called Lifeline program, created in 1984 to make sure impoverished Americans had telephone service available to call their moms, bosses, and 911. In 2008, the FCC expanded the program to offer subsidized cell-phone service, and since then, the expenses of running the program have soared. In 2012, the program’s costs had risen to $2.189 billion, up from $822 million before wireless carriers were included. As of June, there were 13.8 million active Lifeline subscriptions.

To be eligible for Lifeline, the applicant is supposed to be receiving some significant government benefit — food stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, public housing assistance, etc. But because welfare eligibility has expanded under the Obama administration, more people than ever before are qualified to receive “free” cell-phone service — part of the reason why Lifeline mobiles have become commonly known as Obamaphones. Alternatively, applicants can qualify if their household income is less than 136 percent of the federal poverty line.

But as with any federal program with too much funding, too little oversight, and perverse financial incentives, Lifeline has become infamous for rampant fraud and abuse. There have been news reports about recipients flaunting dozens of subsidized phones. And in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on an FCC audit of the top five Lifeline providers, which found that “41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn’t demonstrate their eligibility or didn’t respond to requests for certification.”

The FCC supposedly buckled down on eligibility standards last year and established other safeguards aimed at reducing fraud. I was curious about how tough it was to get one of these phones, so last month, I hit the streets of New York. And out of respect for the law and my journalistic integrity, I did not lie to obtain a phone.

Now is the point, I suppose, where I should explain that I really, really shouldn’t have received a single phone. Despite what you hear, not all 20-something writers in the Big City are starving. Given my earnings, even if I were supporting a family of eight, my income would still rule me out. Nor do I receive any type of government benefit. By the Lifeline program’s standards, I am unambiguously ineligible.
My first task was figuring out where to register. The rule of thumb is that wherever you can sign up for food stamps, you can apply for an Obamaphone.

Representatives from SafeLink and Assurance, two of the leading New York Lifeline vendors, stand outside the food-stamp offices, paired like Mormon missionaries, young and polite and earnest. They carry electronic tablets and ask all passersby whether they’ve received their free phone “yet” — as if it were an inevitability.

They approached me for the first time outside the food-stamp office at Tenth Avenue and 216th Street, on the northern tip of Manhattan. The SafeLink vendor, a man probably in his mid 20s, asked me whether I was enrolled in any benefit programs.

“No,” I said, “but I’d certainly like to be. I’m hoping to be.” And indeed, while doing research for another story, I had gone through the motions of applying for New York City welfare, which I also don’t qualify for. I showed him my Human Resources Administration paperwork packet and the case number assigned to me. I reiterated that though I had once applied, I had never been approved for any sort of benefit.

He brought out his electronic tablet immediately to sign me up for phone service. He asked if I had an insurance card, so I pulled out my trusty Blue Cross Blue Shield. He looked at it for a second, puzzled, then asked if I had Medicaid. No, I told him, just private insurance through my work plan.

“Private insurance? What’s that?” he asked, maybe not facetiously. My BCBS card was nevertheless photographed, as well as the first page of my Human Resources Administration paperwork. He asked for my name and my home address, and that was about it. The whole process took less than five minutes, and I had to provide no documentation verifying my income level or (nonexistent) welfare status.

The SafeLink vendor then referred me to his opposite number, a rep from Assurance. She too took down my information, registering me for another Obamaphone.

Traveling to several of the welfare offices in the city, I learned this was common practice. Obamaphone reps come in twos, and both will sign you up if they can.

That’s a very questionable practice, given the Lifeline program’s rules: Each eligible household may receive only one Lifeline subsidy, and obtaining multiple subsidized phones from multiple Lifeline carriers is “a flat-out violation of our rules,” says Michelle Schaefer, an attorney-adviser from the FCC’s Telecommunications Access Policy Division, Wireline Competition Bureau

Schaefer also tells me that “consumers are, on their applications, required to certify under penalty of perjury that they will only be receiving one Lifeline discount.”

But when I went around New York signing up for multiple phones, I never even saw the applications; SafeLink and Assurance vendors filled out the necessary forms on their tablets on my behalf, clicking through so quickly that it must have been nearly muscle memory. And nobody mentioned perjury.

Granted, the first question the wireless reps asked was usually whether I was already enrolled in the Lifeline program. I told the truth: I had signed up recently, but the phone hadn’t arrived in the mail yet. Almost always, that got me re-entered into the system without hesitation.

When I did receive my SafeLink phone a few days later, I started informing vendors that I did have one Lifeline phone. They assured me that the Lifeline program permitted me to have one phone from each participating wireless provider — which simply isn’t true.

Maybe there’s a disconnect between the corporate offices of wireless providers and their men on the street; a letter I later received from Assurance mentioned that “a household is not permitted to receive Lifeline benefits from multiple providers. Violation of the one-per-household rule constitutes a violation of federal rules and will result in de-enrollment from the Lifeline program and potentially prosecution by the United States government.”

But the wireless providers aren’t doing much due diligence, if my experience is indicative.

At the Union Square location, a SafeLink rep noted that I was already approved for a phone and declined to re-enter my information — but the rep from Assurance, standing only a few feet away, readily signed me up.

At the welfare office on Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn, a vendor hesitated when I told her that I’d already applied but the phone had not yet been delivered. “Surely your system will catch if I’m actually enrolled,” I told her. She shrugged and signed me up once more.
At the DeKalb Avenue office in Brooklyn, when I told the rep I wasn’t receiving welfare, I was signed up for a phone but cautioned that I might well be denied upon secondary review.

And at one Lifeline location in East Harlem, I walked up to the wireless representative talking very loudly on my own smartphone. I hung up only to answer her questions. Now, keep in mind that the program is supposed to provide cell-phone service to people too poor to afford any phone whatsoever — but my application for a subsidized mobile was happily submitted, even as I dinked around very obviously on my existing smartphone.

So here’s the final count: I was able to apply on the street for one SafeLink phone and seven Assurance phones. I received one SafeLink phone and two Assurance phones, no questions asked. For several other applications, Assurance sent me requests for more financial information.

Finally, I received one other letter, full of grammatical errors, informing me that “there is already an Assurance Wireless account established at this address” and requesting further information about my application. I find it curious that Assurance caught a duplicate only once, considering that I’ve got seven entries in their system, and that they have on file my name, address, HRA case number, and, in some instances, photos of my insurance card and driver’s license. SafeLink was slightly better about catching duplications on the street, but it still gave me a phone when it shouldn’t have.

Since receiving my undeserved phones, I’ve repeatedly tried to reach both SafeLink and Assurance press reps for comment, all to no avail. Their corporate offices have sent me the numbers of their customer-service centers, which are easily accessible and happy to offer plan upgrades to Lifeline clients.

Representative Tim Griffin (R., Ark.) has long opposed the Lifeline wireless subsidies, making it a pet cause. He reiterated the basic point I had learned from this experience: The problems began when the federal government got in the business of providing free cell phones, and the FCC’s recent reforms aren’t sufficient.

“I saw all the horror stories of people getting 10, 20, 30, 40 phones,” Griffin says, “the [wireless] companies not paying a lot of attention and in some cases no attention to who was getting them and whether they were getting duplicates.”

And if you’ve been wondering why the companies are so eager to hand out free phones, the incentive is built into the program. As Griffin explains, “Of course, the way the program was set up, [wireless companies] were getting money for every one they could give out, so they gave out as many as they could.”
And still do.

— Jillian Kay Melchior is a Thomas L. Rhodes Fellow for the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.