PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Worst GM in pro football history?

bobbything
11-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Is Pioli it? I need to know. And I don't want Owner/GM combos. So spare me the Al Davis', please. Straight GMs only.

Discuss.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Al Davis

Brock
11-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Probably the guy who's currently the GM of a historically bad team.

bobbything
11-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Al Davis

GODAMMIT!!!

T-post Tom
11-09-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll see your Pioli and raise you a Matt Millen.

AussieChiefsFan
11-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Whoever was the browns GM the longest since '99

mcaj22
11-09-2012, 10:27 PM
its Matt Millen

i swear to god since the Pioli failings have started to come out there are some delusional Chiefs fans out there that act like this hasnt been done to other franchises by much worse front offices.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Jerry Jones is the worst General Manager/Personnel Director in modern NFL history.

No argument.

tk13
11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Jerry Jones is the worst General Manager/Personnel Director in modern NFL history.

No argument.

HE CARES! I WISH HE OWNED THE CHIEFS!

Unsmooth-Moment
11-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Matt Millen

bobbything
11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
its Matt Millen

i swear to god since the Pioli failings have started to come out there are some delusional Chiefs fans out there that act like this hasnt been done to other franchises by much worse front offices.

To be honest, I'm asking with all sincerity. I have no way of evaluating GMs. But Pioli came in so hot and it's been such an an epic pile of failure that I'm having a hard time fathoming a regime that has been so terrible with so much hype.

Mlilen had dick to work with except four #1 overall picks.

tk13
Matt Millen went 31-84 though. It's hard to beat that. You could probably throw in a Buccaneers GM or two into the mix too.

Unsmooth-Moment

He runs his teams like a fantasy football team..

Bump
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I'll see your Pioli and raise you a Matt Millen.

they are both the same

bobbything
11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
So, will Pioli we the worst unless Clark fires him?

tk13
11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
The Buccaneers had 12 straight seasons where they lost 10+ games in the 80's and early 90's. That's a pretty good streak of ineptitude.

mcaj22
11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
To be honest, I'm asking with all sincerity. I have no way of evaluating GMs. But Pioli came in so hot and it's been such an an epic pile of failure that I'm having a hard time fathoming a regime that has been so terrible with so much hype.

Mlilen had dick to work with except four #1 overall picks.

you just answered your own question

HE HAD DICK TO WORK WITH

but... FOUR

FOUR #1 picks. AND HE MISSED ON ALL FOUR

some GMs never even get to have ONE #1 overall pick in a lifetime. This guy had FOUR times to pick first in a draft and fucked it up. That's bad.

T-post Tom
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
they are both the same

Not so much.

bobbything
11-09-2012, 11:15 PM
you just answered your own question

HE HAD DICK TO WORK WITH

but... FOUR

FOUR #1 picks. AND HE MISSED ON ALL FOUR

some GMs never even get to have ONE #1 overall pick in a lifetime. This guy had FOUR times to pick first in a draft and fucked it up. That's bad.

I just made that up. I have no idea if they had four #1 draft picks. In fact, I'm gonna guarantee they didn't. The Falcons had to be in there. Along with the Browns and Texans. They were all atrocious.

Phobia
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Millen and Pioli are in the same conversation. The problem is that you have one guy who was a player and analyst thrust into the GM spot and then you have a guy who is Executive of the year x3 and Executive of the decade. It's relative.

Fruit Ninja
11-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Matt Millen, Just look at what his stupid ass did. He was terrrrible.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Millen and Pioli are in the same conversation. The problem is that you have one guy who was a player and analyst thrust into the GM spot and then you have a guy who is Executive of the year x3 and Executive of the decade. It's relative.

At this point, Pioli's professional doppelganger is Carmen Policy.

Supposedly, he "built" the 49er dynasty in San Francisco. But once Bill Walsh and his players left and/or retired, the 49er were merely average at best.

Policy couldn't do anything in Cleveland. He hired two coaches, drafted a number one overall QB and Defensive end, yet couldn't get anything done.

He quietly left the NFL in 2004 at a young-ish age and never returned.

Sorter
11-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Supposedly, he "built" the 49er dynasty in San Francisco. But once Bill Walsh and his players left and/or retired, the 49er were merely average at best.

Policy couldn't do anything in Cleveland. He hired two coaches, drafted a number one overall QB and Defensive end, yet couldn't get anything done.

Bring him in for a look? ROFL

Phobia
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM

I like the comparison. I had forgotten all about Policy. But that's a reasonable observation. Policy was involved with the Niners dynasty and Pioli was involved with the Pats dynasty. The key difference is Policy took over an expansion team and flopped. Pioli took over a proud franchise which had logged a top 3 winning percentage the previous 20 years.

BoneKrusher
11-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Scott Pioli/Matt Millen

whoman69
11-10-2012, 06:39 AM

He cares only in that he has an ego the size of Texas. Jones is about making himself look good. If he really cared about the team he would hire someone who can run the football operations. He has admitted that based just on GM record that he would have fired himself. But that model is not going to change. You have a situation in Dallas where there is no accountability.

KC Tattoo
11-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I want to throw out the name of A.J. Smith of the Chargers for shits and giggles. Holy balls he fired a 14~2 coach Marty Shitinplayoffsheimer for Norv Turner. Granted Marty never had a good time in the playoffs, but we have got to watch that franchise underachieve so much and slowly just dismantle themselves before our eyes. A.J. Smith sticks with Norv Turner and it's going cost him his job. Oh and they got to watch Drew Brees win a Super Bowl and Eli Manning win two Super Bowls and even Ben Rapelessburger win two Super Bowls.

Just wanted throw his name out for discussion. Not quite the same league of fail as Pioli & Matt Millen but I think he deserves a fail on his resume.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-10-2012, 08:54 AM
its Matt Millen

Yep, CP goes batshit crazy sometimes.

okoye35chiefs
11-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Vinny Cerrato: Washington Redskins

He lasted ten years in Washington despite making a complete mockery of the once proud franchise. Anytime a General Manager/Vice President/lackey/official side kick, goes almost ten years without drafting an offensive lineman within the first two rounds, you know you're working for someone who knows less about football than you do.

In the process, Washington had six head coaches in ten years, made the playoffs only twice, and signed one aging free agent after another (remember Bruce Smith, Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Adam Archuleta, Jason Taylor, Brandon Loyd, etc. etc.). They ignored the draft, let players like Antonio Pierce leave for the New York Giants to become a captain, and threw away every chance they had at building a team from within.

Cerrato likely used the force on Snyder during his ten years: "I am doing a good job, these are not the players you're looking for!"

Brock
11-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Vinny Cerrato: Washington Redskins

He lasted ten years in Washington despite making a complete mockery of the once proud franchise. Anytime a General Manager/Vice President/lackey/official side kick, goes almost ten years without drafting an offensive lineman within the first two rounds, you know you're working for someone who knows less about football than you do.

In the process, Washington had six head coaches in ten years, made the playoffs only twice, and signed one aging free agent after another (remember Bruce Smith, Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Adam Archuleta, Jason Taylor, Brandon Loyd, etc. etc.). They ignored the draft, let players like Antonio Pierce leave for the New York Giants to become a captain, and threw away every chance they had at building a team from within.

Cerrato likely used the force on Snyder during his ten years: "I am doing a good job, these are not the players you're looking for!"

He was probably terrible, but he was also probably just doing what he was told to do.

theelusiveeightrop
11-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Strange how we never see Millen and Pioli in the same place at the same time. Strange.

Baby Lee
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM

No argument.

His loyalty to Romo is analogous to Pioli's loyalty to Cassel. The magnitude is the sole difference as Romo is a lock as a perpetual playoff failure while Cassel is a perpetual all-around failure.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2012, 04:38 PM
His loyalty to Romo is analogous to Pioli's loyalty to Cassel. The magnitude is the sole difference as Romo is a lock as a perpetual playoff failure while Cassel is a perpetual all-around failure.

The worst part for Cowboys fans is that Jerry Jones the owner will never fire Jerry Jones the General Manager.

At least Chiefs fans don't have that immortal burden on their shoulder. And yes, if the secret to immorality is found while Jerry Jones is alive, I guarantee he'll still be the GM in year 20,012.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Is Pioli it? I need to know. And I don't want Owner/GM combos. So spare me the Al Davis', please. Straight GMs only.

Discuss.

Homophobe

Chief3188
11-10-2012, 07:38 PM
The worst part for Cowboys fans is that Jerry Jones the owner will never fire Jerry Jones the General Manager.

At least Chiefs fans don't have that immortal burden on their shoulder. And yes, if the secret to immorality is found while Jerry Jones is alive, I guarantee he'll still be the GM in year 20,012.

I think he found that a long time ago

JohnnyHammersticks
11-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Pioli is worse than Millen. They're both equally, epically bad in terms of running a football team--but Millen was kind of a lovable loser goof of a failure. Pioli is every bit as much of a failure, and he's a cock-sucking prick of an asshole too. So Pioli wins the prize.

tredadda
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Who was the GM of the Chiefs during the 70's and 80's pre Carl?

KCChiefsFan88
11-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Who was the GM of the Chiefs during the 70's and 80's pre Carl?

Jack Steadman