PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Mika Brzezinski Cant Explain Why Liberals Support Drone Strikes, But Oppose Waterboar

KILLER_CLOWN
11-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Mika Brzezinski Cant Explain Why Liberals Support Drone Strikes, But Oppose Waterboarding

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9rH5eHiNeYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Today on MSNBC's Morning Joe, we were treated to a rare showing of backbone from the one of the network's only Republicans. During a discussion about Bush's new book the subject of waterboarding came up. During the exchange Joe brought up a glaring inconsistency in the left's criticism of Bush's methods. Mika Brzezinski gave a rambling, incoherent response that leaves you wondering if she realizes how hypocritical she and most liberals are.

Baby Lee
11-12-2012, 12:46 AM
What this shows, more than any conservative/libertarian/liberal divide, is the low wattage brain power of these people who fill the airwaves all day, every day. I'm talking all stripes.

One of Colbert's very first pronouncements was 'I don't think with my brain, I feel with my gut.' And after however many years, that has proven more and more true for those who make their living on partisanship.

I'm not espousing this rationale, but if someone who supported drone strikes, but condemned waterboarding actually put thought into why. There's an argument to be made that 'collateral damage' of drone strikes is something we try with as extraordinary measures as possible to avoid, but the realities of physics, terrorist practices, technology and intel are imperfect. OTOH, standing in front of another human being and choosing to waterboard him is not an unfortunate accident, or failure of technology, but a volitional first person act.

J Diddy
11-12-2012, 12:50 AM
What this shows, more than any conservative/libertarian/liberal divide, is the low wattage brain power of these people who fill the airwaves all day, every day. I'm talking all stripes.

One of Colbert's very first pronouncements was 'I don't think with my brain, I feel with my gut.' And after however many years, that has proven more and more true for those who make their living on partisanship.

I'm not espousing this rationale, but if someone who supported drone strikes, but condemned waterboarding actually put thought into why. There's an argument to be made that 'collateral damage' of drone strikes is something we try with as extraordinary measures as possible to avoid, but the realities of physics, terrorist practices, technology and intel are imperfect. OTOH, standing in front of another human being and choosing to waterboard him is not an unfortunate accident, or failure of technology, but a volitional first person act.

That is a great answer. :clap:

BucEyedPea
11-12-2012, 12:51 AM

I don't think we take extraordinary measures to avoid if we're using them as much as we do. It's not working either.

booger
11-12-2012, 12:59 AM
I've always wanted to undo her brazeerski and let those puppies out to play

Baby Lee
11-12-2012, 01:16 AM
That is a great answer. :clap:

Better than 'I wish we had more time to discuss this, because I enjoy the debate?'

Shaid
11-12-2012, 01:18 AM
I agree that I don't think you can say we take extraordinary measures. We should be much more discriminate. It's not going to help our cause to keep killing innocent civilians. I am against waterboarding but if we had some type of imminent danger, I'd accept it. It's a lesser of two evils type of decision. It shouldn't be a common thing though. It's been shown that the info collected that way is less likely to be accurate than traditional interrogation techniques.

penchief
11-12-2012, 06:07 AM
I agree that I don't think you can say we take extraordinary measures. We should be much more discriminate. It's not going to help our cause to keep killing innocent civilians. I am against waterboarding but if we had some type of imminent danger, I'd accept it. It's a lesser of two evils type of decision. It shouldn't be a common thing though. It's been shown that the info collected that who way is less likely to be accurate than traditional interrogation techniques.

I'm not a fan of drone strikes. The only thing I can think is that we've all been desensitized by two wars. One of which was the biggest deception ever perpetrated by our government. Which led to an occupation that drained our country of its moral authority and treasure.

It may bre that we're at a point where we know we have to continue fighting radical islam but we've found out that invasions, occupations, and torture have proven to be disasterous options. To a lot of people, targeted bombs that take out terrorists seem like the lesser of two evils in comparison even when considering the collateral damage or it's potential backlash.

underEJ
11-12-2012, 12:02 PM
How can there not be time to have the debate on a 24 hr news channel?

Direckshun
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I oppose both.

La literatura
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
For the record, this video is about two years old. Joe Scarborough has a good argument.

Iowanian
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I support water boarding, stress positions and drone strikes.

Drone strikes are one of the few things Obama has continued that has been a good thing.

patteeu
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
It's been shown that the info collected that way is less likely to be accurate than traditional interrogation techniques.

No it hasn't. But people do say this a lot, so I'm sure you heard it somewhere.

patteeu
11-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I support water boarding, stress positions and drone strikes.

Drone strikes are one of the few things Obama has continued that has been a good thing.

Yes. All are reasonable tools under the right circumstances. None should be used under the wrong circumstances.