PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Todd Blackledge

Chocolate Hog
11-13-2012, 08:24 PM
What was the story with this guy? He was drafted before I was born. Was he really that bad? His stats don't look great but he had a winning record as a starter and only got 3 years. Wasn't the rest of the team around him shitty? Did they give up on him too quickly?

Ceej
11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
He played in the big ten.

Mr_Tomahawk
11-13-2012, 08:30 PM
He was the last QB drafted by the Chiefs to win a game.

big nasty kcnut
11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I never liked the guy i wanted a autograph from him and he didn't give it to me most of the other chiefs did but not him. This is when the oilers played the chiefs in 83.

HemiEd
11-13-2012, 08:48 PM
What was the story with this guy? He was drafted before I was born. Was he really that bad? His stats don't look great but he had a winning record as a starter and only got 3 years. Wasn't the rest of the team around him shitty? Did they give up on him too quickly?

yes

KC Tattoo
11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Ask Carl Peterson the curse was born when he drafted him.

KCrockaholic
11-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Don't touch this.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Huh?

JASONSAUTO
11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Huh?

Cp lexicon
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Bundy
11-13-2012, 09:01 PM
He was the NFL Quarterback equivalent of KU football last season.

milkman
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Actually, he got 5 years, and he was worse in year 5 than he was in year 2, and even worse in Cleveland or Pittsburg, where ever it was he ended up for the nest 2 or 3 years of his ignomius career.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Cp lexicon
Posted via Mobile Device

Evidently I'm missing something...

Phobia
11-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Evidently I'm missing something...

Your choice to be a fan, n00b.

Sorter
LMAOLMAOYour choice to be a fan, n00b.

Fruit Ninja
I never liked the guy i wanted a autograph from him and he didn't give it to me most of the other chiefs did but not him. This is when the oilers played the chiefs in 83.

You dont like him because he didnt shun ya? lol as a kid, Mark McGwire did the same thing to me, but as i got older, i realized hey, we were fucking bugging him and got over it. lol

Deberg_1990
11-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Was it Carl and Marty who cut him? I wonder why they never gave him a shot? They thought Steve Peuller and 60 year old Debeg had more talent?

milkman
11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Was it Carl and Marty who cut him? I wonder why they never gave him a shot? They thought Steve Peuller and 60 year old Debeg had more talent?

Ron Jaworski.

I'll just leave the cutters alone.

ChiefsCountry
11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
He got cut in 1988. That would be Schaff and Frank Ganz.

milkman
11-13-2012, 09:28 PM
He got cut in 1988. That would be Schaff and Frank Ganz.

Don't mess with the lexicon.

Holladay
11-14-2012, 05:08 AM
lol...you all just like messing with ppl. give the kid a break.

DaKCMan AP
11-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Very nice, personable guy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8184830321_ae6b3871be_n.jpg

penchief
11-14-2012, 06:43 AM
He played in the big ten.

No, he didn't.

RippedmyFlesh
11-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Noodle armed Penn State system qb. A "nice" guy as far as fans are concerned but not even close to being even an average nfl qb. The fact that he sucked wasn't as bad as the fact so many other qb's were drafted that year and we picked the worst one.

Dave Lane
11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Very nice, personable guy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8184830321_ae6b3871be_n.jpg

He's a sack of fucking shit! Anyone that is so bad they cause my team to not draft another first round QB for 30 years can die in a fucking fire.

DaKCMan AP
11-14-2012, 07:59 AM
He's a sack of fucking shit! Anyone that is so bad they cause my team to not draft another first round QB for 30 years can die in a fucking fire.

You can't blame Blackledge. There have been terrible QBs drafted early (Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, David Klinger, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware, Chris Miller, Chuck Long) and other franchises have since drafted multiple QBs early.

Ace Gunner
11-14-2012, 08:11 AM
He's a sack of ****ing shit! Anyone that is so bad they cause my team to not draft another first round QB for 30 years can die in a ****ing fire.

ROFL but when are chiefs fans going to figure out the franchise has been putting veteran QB's in to fill seats year after year. That is mostly on the Hunt family, who hired swindling playas like CP who trotted out FA after FA for them.

theelusiveeightrop
11-14-2012, 08:36 AM
No, he didn't.

Penn State was not in the Big Ten yet. Blackledge won games beating up the Temples and Rutgers types mostly.

Rain Man
11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
In all seriousness, I've always wondered about him, too.

In those days, it wasn't always possible to see Chiefs games since there were no sports bars or Internet or Sunday Ticket. I lived in Rolla, and between working on Sundays and simply not having coverage over the competing football Cardinals I typically got to see maybe half the Chiefs games each year during much of the Blackledge era.

In the few games where I saw him, I certainly didn't think that he was terrible or anything, just an inexperienced quarterback playing the game. I kept assuming that he was going to take over the starting role and start dominating, and it never happened. Obviously there was something that wasn't happening that I wasn't seeing at the time. I recall that Bill Kenney was actually very productive the year or two around the time Blackledge was drafted, so there was a bit of a question about how long they would ride Kenney and let Blackledge learn. Kenney had his supporters even as a long-term starter, though his star faded relatively quickly.

When the guy got drafted, it was quite an exciting prospect. Smellway was known to be the #1 guy going to the Colts, but there was no controversy at all about Blackledge going second, at least in the mainstream press that I had access to at the time. He was seen as a very strong QB prospect. But for some reason he could never unseat Kenney.

Deberg_1990
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
In all seriousness, I've always wondered about him, too.

In those days, it wasn't always possible to see Chiefs games since there were no sports bars or Internet or Sunday Ticket. I lived in Rolla, and between working on Sundays and simply not having coverage over the competing football Cardinals I typically got to see maybe half the Chiefs games each year during much of the Blackledge era.

In the few games where I saw him, I certainly didn't think that he was terrible or anything, just an inexperienced quarterback playing the game. I kept assuming that he was going to take over the starting role and start dominating, and it never happened. Obviously there was something that wasn't happening that I wasn't seeing at the time. I recall that Bill Kenney was actually very productive the year or two around the time Blackledge was drafted, so there was a bit of a question about how long they would ride Kenney and let Blackledge learn. Kenney had his supporters even as a long-term starter, though his star faded relatively quickly.

When the guy got drafted, it was quite an exciting prospect. Smellway was known to be the #1 guy going to the Colts, but there was no controversy at all about Blackledge going second, at least in the mainstream press that I had access to at the time. He was seen as a very strong QB prospect. But for some reason he could never unseat Kenney.

There just wasnt the sports coverage that there is now back then. Plus, half the games were blacked out.

Imagine the scrutiny he would have been under had he played in this era.

Braincase
11-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Think Dayne Crist. All blow, no show.

Dave Lane
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
You can't blame Blackledge. There have been terrible QBs drafted early (Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, David Klinger, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware, Chris Miller, Chuck Long) and other franchises have since drafted multiple QBs early.

Don't matter, he's the curse until we get a franchise QB, and thus he earns my ire. His being a nice guy / not his fault doesn't enter in to it. Cassel is a nice guy.

DaKCMan AP
11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Don't matter, he's the curse until we get a franchise QB, and thus he earns my ire. His being a nice guy / not his fault doesn't enter in to it. Cassel is a nice guy.

And I'm telling you your ire is misdirected.